Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 6, 8:01 PM

Jul 2011
Another good show to watch. Cinematography is all i'll say.
Jul 6, 8:09 PM
Jan 2023
Osanai must get her strawberry tart!!
Jul 6, 8:09 PM
Jan 2023
Reply to Lamp1009
It’s like Hyouka meets the Monogatari series. I’m loving the direction. Can’t wait for more.
@Lamp1009 I got Hyouka vibes aswell - really enjoying the dynamic between Osanai and Kobato.
Jul 6, 8:33 PM

May 2015
Going for a live ending was a nice touch because of its unconventionality, maybe the last time I saw something similar was in FLCL.
IshitatesoJul 6, 8:38 PM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
Jul 6, 8:48 PM

May 2019
I can't recall watching an anime series in a 21:9 aspect ration so that is pretty unique plus the eyes of Osanai got my attention.

Kobato seems to have great deduction skills but I'm curious as to why they are trying to become ordinary as if they're trying to blend in for some reason (I'm guessing that may be explained later on). Btw, it's a shame what happened to their tarts so I'm wondering if going after that guy will be part of their next mystery plus I imagine Kobato would want his bike back too.
Jul 6, 8:54 PM

Oct 2016
Bro I'm pissed, NOT THE STRAWBERRY TARTS! That seriously got me heated lmao.

Great start! I absolutely love the atmosphere of the show, not to mention how beautiful the backgrounds are as well.

I wonder what they mean when they say that they want to become ordinary, like are they some supernatural beings or something? At least thanks to the banger OP, that's the thought that came into my mind.

Which reminds me, I really need to finally watch Hyouka.
Jul 6, 9:39 PM
Apr 2020
The animation is so beautiful, the pacing and atmosphere is really nice and calm. I love Osanai's design and demeanor. Hyouka is one of my favs so I'm excited and pleased by this Anime so far!!!
Jul 6, 9:44 PM
Aug 2022
it's giving me Hyouka vibes.
Jul 6, 9:47 PM
Jan 2020
Monogatari, Elusive Samurai and this in the same day. I may actually have Eyegasm.
Jul 6, 10:00 PM

Jul 2021
the tart THE TARTTTTT :( Really good way to present this kind of series (the aspect ratio). I like the main characters so far. Curious where the mystery leads.
Jul 6, 10:25 PM
Aug 2022
Amazing visual, lovable characters, engaging story
Jul 6, 10:29 PM
Sep 2016
Holy sh*t, that's an animation... I actually need to check MAL mid-watching, since I thought it was made by Shaft. I mean, this EP did felt kinda Shaft-y, y'know?

The ED is top notch visualy. Kinda reminded me of KareKano's ED tho....
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Jul 6, 10:48 PM

Jul 2020
well, this was weird..
Jul 6, 10:54 PM

Oct 2020
Had high expectations for this and was very impressed. This will be a great series.
Jul 6, 11:22 PM
Apr 2021
I immediately liked this series from the first minutes.
I didn't expect the studio to be this impressive, the visuals, frame ratio, music and so on are all good.

I also immediately liked the 2 main characters.
Although different from Houtarou and Chitanda. But I like it. The school uniforms are also similar.

I'm also curious about Osana Yuki who always takes cover behind Kobato.
The end of this episode left me shocked and I can't wait to watch the next episode

I asked why only 10 episodes 👀🤷🏻‍♂️
rahezJul 6, 11:27 PM
Jul 6, 11:34 PM

Mar 2013
Wow, it's like I'm watching an old classic anime without the cliché in toe. Very nice.

I really missed Hyouka, still hoping for a 2nd season.

P.S. RIP Tarts...
CrazyButNot4UJul 7, 2:20 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jul 6, 11:41 PM
Jul 2019
This is probably the most beautifully animated anime in this season,This feels like a movie.
Jul 6, 11:58 PM

Sep 2021
HYOUKA HYOUKA HYOUKA!!!!!

Boy we got a girl MC with a sweet tooth voiced by Youmiya Hina again like in BokuYaba 🩵🩵🩵
Jul 7, 12:41 AM
Jun 2024
this anime really comes with hyouka type vibe and animation is pretty good too…. i was so happy that they got those strawberry tarts that the girl was craving but then that delinquent kid ruined my whole mood. i think its gonna be a good anime overall….although only 10 episodes is a big L😭😭
Jul 7, 12:54 AM
Dec 2021
I'm kind of curious about the characters and it was visually pleasing I guess I liked their eyes. Looking forward for the next episode.
Jul 7, 1:04 AM

Feb 2014
Wtf... dude didn't have to do that, this Hyouka-esque anime annoyed me
Jul 7, 1:08 AM

Feb 2014
PaninaManina said:
I remember I had my problems with Hyouka, but someone remind me... was Hyouka also "SUPER CRINGE" like this?

Kyouka had its cringe moments, but this anime is so weird. It feels like both MC are aliens pretending to be humans or something
Jul 7, 1:12 AM

Jun 2020
This anime has right set of drama as well as mystery in it. Eager to see the future episodes to explore this story more.
Jul 7, 1:20 AM

Jan 2021
the whole ep i was anxious that the strawberry tart would be sold out and to finally land at it getting fked ☠️
Jul 7, 1:51 AM
Jan 2024
This episode was great and it has a very interesting mystery feel to it. The chemistry between Yuki and Jougorou was beautiful.
The OP and ED are truly masterpieces. The artstyle was gorgeous and the animation was fluid. I was glad that they finally got those Strawberry tarts but it was a little heartbreaking to see those tarts getting ruined by some random thief. The fact that the places shown in this anime are inspired by real life places is amazing. I am looking forward to the next episode!
Jul 7, 2:38 AM
Feb 2015
Annoyingly obtuse twisted teenage drama
Jul 7, 3:07 AM
Jul 2021
That fucker stealing the bicycle should be punished HARD
Jul 7, 3:35 AM
May 2023
Reply to llcrazyacell
OP and ED have great visuals.
Looks like they used irl recordings for the ending theme.

I'm guessing the entire anime will be in 21:9 aspect ratio, interesting choice.
I trust Yonezawa's story, but I wonder how this adaptation will play out.

Fuck that random at the end. RIP Osani's strawberry tart. Justice will be served.
@llcrazyacell A shame that it's 21:9 but you can't actually watch it in 21:9 since it's just got black bars on the bottom and top
Jul 7, 4:09 AM

Nov 2023
I've never been so sad about strawberry tarts being thrown onto the ground.

A good start, and I'm excited for more.
Jul 7, 4:19 AM
Mar 2021
uncleqrow said:
Holy sh*t, that's an animation... I actually need to check MAL mid-watching, since I thought it was made by Shaft. I mean, this EP did felt kinda Shaft-y, y'know?

The ED is top notch visualy. Kinda reminded me of KareKano's ED tho....

Right?! I wish more studios would have a go at more abstract directorial styles. We only really saw it on some lidenfilms shows (Mainly Kimisomu and Yofukashi no Uta) and in most GoHands Productions, but between the aspect ratio, the wide shots, the slow pace, the heavy dialogue, it really feels like this is at least taking some level of inspiration from Oishi, Itamura, or Shinbo
Jul 7, 4:59 AM

Jan 2017
Nice, feels like I'm watching Hyouka again...
Jul 7, 5:22 AM
Apr 2020
NOT THE STRAWBERRY TARTS :(
Jul 7, 5:48 AM

Aug 2013
Nice budget.

The MC should've went with the girl as she asked him for 'help' first really. Seems too much a pushover for my liking so far.

RIP sweets.
Jul 7, 5:58 AM

Aug 2020
fantastic show, already love it, and, of course, 10/10
Jul 7, 6:05 AM

Dec 2022
Interesting first episode
Jul 7, 6:45 AM

Sep 2022
Fantastic animation in opening. Probably too good because when opening ended, I was a bit disappointed.
I not sure how I feel about it so far. It has some uneasy feeling which I don't really enjoy. Will see how it progresses.
Jul 7, 7:00 AM
Oct 2021
Nice first episode, the theme of this series is so unique
Jul 7, 7:21 AM

Aug 2008
I was pleasantly surprised with sound direction with some rustling clothes or deeper breaths here and there. It's a nice touch you rarely hear in anime. The rest was a letdown though. Characters acted odd the least. Male friend is acting like he has a screw loose or is emotionally unstable looking constantly annoying and yelling for no reason which dealing with something barely significant like a missing item. Male lead is weird too being pushed around like that. All in all it felt like writers knew where characters were supposed to end but weren't sure how to get them there. Really disappointed after hearing it's coming from the creator of Hyouka.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 7, 7:43 AM
Jan 2022
I came to series fully blind (no plot, no author,no studio info) just by looking at the trailer that doesn’t have any subs thinking it’s gonna be like a bunny girl senpai or smth like that.

But watching the episode somehow feels so fulfilling for some reason, like an itch i want to scratch for the longest time. The type of mystery and how it unfold which turns out the series author be the same as hyouka. a series i longed for years since i watched it, and if this is the best thing i can get other than a 2nd season of hyouka im happy with it.

Hopefully this will be a great show. And (spoiler) i hope that dude who trash the tart be eating through a straw for the rest of his life after the MC (or MCs ?) caught him.
Jul 7, 8:15 AM

Jul 2015
Hyouka sequel? Well, this is the closest thing we'll ever get...and I have no problem with that.

Very interesting first episode. I loved the choreography, the atmosphere, the direction with all these landscape frames, and the overall vibe of the animation looks very cinematic, which is great.

I still keep my expectations low, because better safe than sorry.

Op & Ed are also great
Jul 7, 8:18 AM
Jun 2019
While the animation and the characters are beautiful I feel that this chapter was... Not so great.
I'm not familiar with the author or his previous works so I watched without any expectations.
I feel that every character acted weird towards each other, their relationships were also akward. I understand that the main character is some kind of genius so he can be weird, but what about the others?? Why from all the people Dojima decided to ask Kobato to help him to find the pochette (that also doesn't have anything of value) It was just a waste of time.
I didn't find the story charming or anything but I'll try to keep watching so I can understand the characters better, hoping I can enjoy this.
Jul 7, 8:51 AM

Jul 2022
I think this is going to be one of the best of the season. The opening is beautiful, the animation and soundtrack are pure cinematography. When an anime makes you feel sad about a discarded tarantula, you know it's doing something very well. Adding the mystery genre makes it a gem for me.

Jul 7, 9:20 AM
Mar 2018
I only decided to watch this show because of how pretty it looked, I had no idea it came from the same mind that brought us Hyouka, one of my favorite anime series ever! Lucky me!

This was a great premiere! I actually thought to myself, during the second half, that it had strong Hyouka vibes. The visuals are simply gorgeous! I loved the pensive feel of the directing, as well as the straightforwardly human way the characters acted.

I'm very excited to watch the rest of the season!
Jul 7, 9:25 AM
Jan 2022
a wired first ep but still got me some what excited but where is the romantic angle, due the animation is top notch and the op is done by Eve what else do u want give it a try....
Jul 7, 9:27 AM

Jan 2022
Episode 1

As a person who likes Hyouka, this one is a must watch for me because it was written by the same author of it.

I loved the mood that it conveys by having a mellow and solemn atmosphere. I also like the fact that it also revolves around day-to-day mysteries. Even though we can't have a continuation to Hyouka, we got this another story to fill it, in which it conveys the same feeling, and simplicity that we loved.

I am looking forward for the next episodes of this series.

Bonus is that we got an opening sang by Eve.

(2024-07-08 00:27)
Jul 7, 9:28 AM
Jan 2022
the ep is kinda wired in terms of being the first one but I know where they are going with this, but is there any romantic angle in this anime, but non the less the animation is top notch and the op is done by Eve what do u want give it a try....
Jul 7, 10:01 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I have to mention the background, stunning landscape.
Jul 7, 10:02 AM

Aug 2013
Akaseaka said:
The heavy use of 3DCG characters, especially on closer shots, are somewhat awkward. If it were because of budget limits, I would say the result is pretty decent. Maintaining a great overall experience and leaving the money for the more important scenes is always a good idea.

The Konte (storyboard) are exceptional. So is the music. Many emotions are rendered extremely well.
Very expressive screenplay in the scene from 18:09 to 19:53.
The cut at 16:08 briefly includes the other character and then immediately switch back to the cut without in 16:12.
Kobato ran off screen in the cut at 21:12. After a few seconds of freeze, Kobato walked back into the screen.

The relations between Osanai and Kobato are incredible. It is surprising to see that while Osanai hid behind Kobato for most occasions, she chose to stand in front of Kobato and protect him at 15:25. Very impressive relations.

It’s kinda strange. Some scenes look perfectly fine, some are so awkward that it’s a pain to watch it.
It was apparent especially in first few minutes.
I don’t know why there’s so many posts about nice animation and art.
Also, many, or rather most backgrounds are just nothing but cheap 3D renders, the remaining ones are beautiful. Hard to judge the visuals.
rsc-plJul 7, 10:08 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 7, 10:17 AM

Apr 2012
I understand that these shows have the same writer, but it really looks like the writer decided to re-imagine and re-create Hyouka. Makes some sense considering I heard the old anime got stuck due to him not liking the adaptation or something. Anyway, I like the realistic SoL elements in this as well as in Hyouka itself. Though I am somewhat confused by the reduced number of episodes and somewhat cheap animation, although the animation is generally good.

@Lamp1009 I understand why people compare it to Monogatari, but it's actually a common style for any "conversational" LN adaptations.
RobertBobertJul 7, 10:25 AM
Jul 7, 10:29 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
I understand that these shows have the same writer, but it really looks like the writer decided to re-imagine and re-create Hyouka. Makes some sense considering I heard the old anime got stuck due to him not liking the adaptation or something. Anyway, I like the realistic SoL elements in this as well as in Hyouka itself. Though I am somewhat confused by the reduced number of episodes and somewhat cheap animation, although the animation is generally good.

@Lamp1009 I understand why people compare it to Monogatari, but it's actually a common style for any "conversational" LN adaptations.
@RobertBobert Weird that he disliked it, I actually prefer Hyouka anime to his novel, the novel is a little bit more pessimistic (realistic) compared to the anime for my taste.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 14

159 by jeffersondkid »»
Yesterday, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 3

67 by Erebus25 »»
Oct 16, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24

62 by Shikkakku »»
Oct 14, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 10

83 by Nikoru14 »»
Oct 8, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Shoushimin Series Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7

86 by ForeverTraitor »»
Sep 28, 6:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.