Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 15, 12:05 PM

Aug 2018
Probably just recency bias talking. While there are more anime that tends to follow the same formula (looking at you isekai) there are still a similar amount of good anime coming out compared to older seasons.
May 15, 12:16 PM

Feb 2022
There are still interesting things coming out, but overall anime in general is taking a turn for a worse.
May 15, 12:23 PM

Apr 2024
:sign:
author generation these days will never have the talent or creative mind that can equal a corner of the previous generation, they may have skill or writing level but they dont have the capital or the experience that only life can teach, the ideas of what they had is simply based on what already exists but is modified to suit tastes, even if it is a new idea, it is just an idea born in free time and it was limited or confinement by so many things.
Because of so many factors, it can never reach completion but simply something hollow with a magnificent appearance.
which is why the number of instant noodle works like anime these days are mass produced like an industry
May 15, 12:35 PM

Jan 2013
Anime today (largely thanks to LN adaptations) is a lot more generic and soulless than it was in the past, but there's still some great shows.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 15, 12:42 PM
Apr 2024
I think you'ant correct. Indeed, there are some endeavors that don't quite pan out as expected, while others excel. It's simply a matter of personal preference, or perhaps having seen so much that it all begins to blur together.
May 15, 1:33 PM
Feb 2022
No. We watched so much anime that nothing surprise us anymore.
May 15, 1:33 PM

Apr 2024
Yes, the overall quality has declined.

Anime were always made with next to no budget, but 15 years ago they still had personal commitment to make the best anime they could.
These days things are just copy pasted. No one cares if it makes any sense.

This screenshot is from a show I actually liked as far as the story goes: Saikyou Onmyouji no Isekai Tenseiki.
But it was a bit painful to see the lack of care.

Compare this to say, .hack//SIGN from 2002 which was a slideshow most of the time, but you could see that the creators did their best.
May 15, 4:13 PM

Sep 2014
Reply to DX_impulse
:sign:
author generation these days will never have the talent or creative mind that can equal a corner of the previous generation, they may have skill or writing level but they dont have the capital or the experience that only life can teach, the ideas of what they had is simply based on what already exists but is modified to suit tastes, even if it is a new idea, it is just an idea born in free time and it was limited or confinement by so many things.
Because of so many factors, it can never reach completion but simply something hollow with a magnificent appearance.
which is why the number of instant noodle works like anime these days are mass produced like an industry
@DX_impulse And yet the new stuff are good enough that it's the only things entering your favourite lists.
May 15, 4:45 PM

Jul 2013
They are ok imo...as long as there is still fan service in it...
May 15, 7:26 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to KryzakamiHrybami
@DX_impulse And yet the new stuff are good enough that it's the only things entering your favourite lists.
@KryzakamiHrybami
so do I need to add some old stuff '90s anime to my list like NGE, sailor moon or something?
when I get bored of something and I find new things that interest me in a new genre, not in just a new anime, and then Im no longer favor these old stuff I used to like, so I do need to?
just cut off your sarcasm when you know shit about my list already.
May 15, 7:46 PM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
Reply to traed
It's an issue of overproduction and globalization.
@traed
overproduction
This word pretty much answers this whole thread. Don't know what OP and other ppl are yapping about.
globalization
This is more of a distribution/consumption issue, rather than a production one, at least for now. Until Disney controls the majority stakes in manga/LN publishing and licensing, the downsides of globalization are probably only dead threats/brain rot takes on Twitter...oops sorry Elon, I mean X.

May 15, 8:08 PM

Mar 2008
Ri-KoRin said:
This word pretty much answers this whole thread. Don't know what OP and other ppl are yapping about.

Yeah like there is so much anime every season made often many in same genres. I don't even know why they make so many because they are just putting in more work but I doubt this really works out for the studios when they have so much competition. It's better if they do a little bit of collaborative planning and avoid competing with eachother directly. Though im not sure if that is possible for that much friendly of terms.
Ri-KoRin said:
This is more of a distribution/consumption issue, rather than a production one, at least for now. Until Disney controls the majority stakes in manga/LN publishing and licensing, the downsides of globalization are probably only dead threats/brain rot takes on Twitter...oops sorry Elon, I mean X.

Well what I meant was a shift in where some of the money from sales is coming from altering perceptions on what should be made and what shouldn't which often is from misunderstandings of expectations.
May 15, 8:19 PM

Jul 2022
Old animes are kinda mid but I only watch them if the setting is interesting to me however the newer animes are addictive ngl

May 15, 8:29 PM

Oct 2017
Every story is the same.

Yeah most art isn't original, this isn't due to some change in the industry, it's just the fact you have seen a lot, you have been exposed to a lot of the tropey writing. If you spent the same amount of time reading fantasy literature or as a film buff you would say the same thing. There gets to a point where media will not suprise you very often, and even when it surprises you that has more to do with your own ignorance than any real innovation. Innovation in art is rare and correlates a lot to a change in technology (which changes how we can make art) or a change in society (which can change expression). That isn't actually that common. As you get older, or get more experience you have to actually appreciate well executed tropey writing or you have to move on from the medium/hobby entirely.
Animation is really down.

To when? Like give a period, I have seen tons of well animated shows.
Kinda feels like there is no more adult themed anime or at least with that adult spice.

You haven't seen Pluto, Cyberpunk Edgerunners, Odd Taxi, Vinland Saga, Kingdom. If you were a Gundam fan you could have checked out Hathaway's Flash. The Spice and Wolf remake is airing. You got upcoming titles like Lazarus and Uzumaki. And I am hardly the guy to go for up to date seasonals.
Also compared to when? If we are talking late 2010s I can bring in March Comes in Like a Lion, Showa Rakugo, Banana Fish etc. Outside of the 80s and 90s OVA era (which you haven't much pre 2000), adult anime or anime with more adult themes, were never that common. This has always been a largely YA industry. There is a reason when people go to I want more adult anime, they also go to the same classics like Monster, Cowboy Bebop or Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Cause those shows were the exceptions, not the norm.
Feels like anime/manga these days are made for braindead people

Yeah shows like Cutey Honey and Love Hina were for people with 160IQs lol.
I saw a lot of youtubers talk about this topic.

Immediately disregarded.
Just wanted to see what everybody else thinks.

You are making a classic old vs new post which has been done in every discussion about media/art for centuries if longer. There are literal forum posts from people in the 90s complaining about 90s anime ruining the medium, and being vastly inferior to 70s anime. Whether it's valid or not is really up to you. You like "older shows" (I have to give that 2000s and 2010s shows are getting old) fair enough, I tend to like older live action movies/shows. I just also am aware that I have a bias that probably is likely influencing my viewing habits, rather than the medium literally going to shit. Gaming I have at times felt things have gotten worse, then I go back and play older games I loved and...well let's just say most haven't aged well.
I was like this is not just the case with isekai anime, even in other genres everything just feels stale.

Stop watching anime, get into other media. If you want good written fantasy why do you pick up some fantasy novels from Western writers instead? They tend to do better work there on average.
I remember watching Death Note for the first time

Yet when I watched it, as a more experienced fan I was less impressed, and thought the first work I saw of Ohba/Obata, Bakuman was way better.
Anime these days just dont make me feel excited to watch them. Sometimes even feels like a job.

Well then you should definitely quit then. Also despite seeing 700+ shows you have entire eras (most pre 2000 stuff) you seem to have neglected along with other genres like mecha. If you are going to complain about not seeing enough adult anime, I just find that kinda self inflected when you haven't seen many of the actually highly praised shows/films aimed at adults like Ghost in the Shell, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Mushishi, Monster or less mainstream titles like The Big O or Texhnolyze. You want a unique isekai? Go watch Now and Then, Here and There.

I watch everything, genre, era wise and I take breaks often from anime. That is why I don't have lengthy burn outs or grow to resent the medium. Then again maybe you have truly grown out of anime, but that is why you get into other media and see if that is the case. If you still love the medium, there will be a desire to come back.
BilboBaggins365May 15, 8:39 PM
May 15, 8:37 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to BilboBaggins365
Every story is the same.

Yeah most art isn't original, this isn't due to some change in the industry, it's just the fact you have seen a lot, you have been exposed to a lot of the tropey writing. If you spent the same amount of time reading fantasy literature or as a film buff you would say the same thing. There gets to a point where media will not suprise you very often, and even when it surprises you that has more to do with your own ignorance than any real innovation. Innovation in art is rare and correlates a lot to a change in technology (which changes how we can make art) or a change in society (which can change expression). That isn't actually that common. As you get older, or get more experience you have to actually appreciate well executed tropey writing or you have to move on from the medium/hobby entirely.
Animation is really down.

To when? Like give a period, I have seen tons of well animated shows.
Kinda feels like there is no more adult themed anime or at least with that adult spice.

You haven't seen Pluto, Cyberpunk Edgerunners, Odd Taxi, Vinland Saga, Kingdom. If you were a Gundam fan you could have checked out Hathaway's Flash. The Spice and Wolf remake is airing. You got upcoming titles like Lazarus and Uzumaki. And I am hardly the guy to go for up to date seasonals.
Also compared to when? If we are talking late 2010s I can bring in March Comes in Like a Lion, Showa Rakugo, Banana Fish etc. Outside of the 80s and 90s OVA era (which you haven't much pre 2000), adult anime or anime with more adult themes, were never that common. This has always been a largely YA industry. There is a reason when people go to I want more adult anime, they also go to the same classics like Monster, Cowboy Bebop or Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Cause those shows were the exceptions, not the norm.
Feels like anime/manga these days are made for braindead people

Yeah shows like Cutey Honey and Love Hina were for people with 160IQs lol.
I saw a lot of youtubers talk about this topic.

Immediately disregarded.
Just wanted to see what everybody else thinks.

You are making a classic old vs new post which has been done in every discussion about media/art for centuries if longer. There are literal forum posts from people in the 90s complaining about 90s anime ruining the medium, and being vastly inferior to 70s anime. Whether it's valid or not is really up to you. You like "older shows" (I have to give that 2000s and 2010s shows are getting old) fair enough, I tend to like older live action movies/shows. I just also am aware that I have a bias that probably is likely influencing my viewing habits, rather than the medium literally going to shit. Gaming I have at times felt things have gotten worse, then I go back and play older games I loved and...well let's just say most haven't aged well.
I was like this is not just the case with isekai anime, even in other genres everything just feels stale.

Stop watching anime, get into other media. If you want good written fantasy why do you pick up some fantasy novels from Western writers instead? They tend to do better work there on average.
I remember watching Death Note for the first time

Yet when I watched it, as a more experienced fan I was less impressed, and thought the first work I saw of Ohba/Obata, Bakuman was way better.
Anime these days just dont make me feel excited to watch them. Sometimes even feels like a job.

Well then you should definitely quit then. Also despite seeing 700+ shows you have entire eras (most pre 2000 stuff) you seem to have neglected along with other genres like mecha. If you are going to complain about not seeing enough adult anime, I just find that kinda self inflected when you haven't seen many of the actually highly praised shows/films aimed at adults like Ghost in the Shell, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Mushishi, Monster or less mainstream titles like The Big O or Texhnolyze. You want a unique isekai? Go watch Now and Then, Here and There.

I watch everything, genre, era wise and I take breaks often from anime. That is why I don't have lengthy burn outs or grow to resent the medium. Then again maybe you have truly grown out of anime, but that is why you get into other media and see if that is the case. If you still love the medium, there will be a desire to come back.
@BilboBaggins365 Dayum, this is a pretty long response. But yeah, generally I agree with most of your statements. It's better to broaden your horizons and try different things rather than just dedicate to a single medium because it can get pretty stale when you watch too much of it. Watching Western movies, maybe watch trashy movies with charm like I did with Who Killed Captain Alex. Sometimes it's good to take a step back and have a break.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 8:43 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to ZeroMajor12
@BilboBaggins365 Dayum, this is a pretty long response. But yeah, generally I agree with most of your statements. It's better to broaden your horizons and try different things rather than just dedicate to a single medium because it can get pretty stale when you watch too much of it. Watching Western movies, maybe watch trashy movies with charm like I did with Who Killed Captain Alex. Sometimes it's good to take a step back and have a break.
@ZeroMajor12

I think I am getting better in being less long winded but I still have issues lol. I don't post that much on social media anymore so when I do it's probably because I felt a need to say a lot.

Still yeah I mean, one thing I have done, for media hobbies (and important to have non media ones too) is get into Star Trek. That has been keeping me occupied. Very different feel from a lot of anime, granted would be cool to get a good sci fi anime about the characters solving sci fi mysteries and engaging in diplomacy.
May 15, 9:08 PM

Aug 2020
BilboBaggins365 said:
You haven't seen Pluto, Cyberpunk Edgerunners, Odd Taxi, Vinland Saga, Kingdom.
nah, Cyberpunk is more edgy than mature. Kingdom on the other hand is just battle shounen without superpowers but with politics. And Vinland Saga is actually quite shounen friendly.

BilboBaggins365 said:
The Spice and Wolf remake is airing.
only watched ep 1 so far but Holo was more mature in the 2008 version.

now THIS has adult spice, i agree.

BilboBaggins365 said:
Outside of the 80s and 90s OVA era (which you haven't much pre 2000), adult anime or anime with more adult themes, were never that common. This has always been a largely YA industry. There is a reason when people go to I want more adult anime, they also go to the same classics like Monster, Cowboy Bebop or Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Cause those shows were the exceptions, not the norm.
never that common? Bruh you serious? Ghost in the Shell SAC, Sentou Yousei Yukikaze, Area 88, Berserk, The Big O, Samurai Champloo, Hellsing, Speed Grapher, Kino's Journey, Texhnolyze, Ergo Proxy, Kaiji, Gundam 00, Paranoia Agent, Master Keaton, Aoi Bungaku, Taiho Shichau zo, Kaiba, Phantom Requiem etc etc? These all came out in the late 90s and 2000s.

BilboBaggins365 said:
i rewatched Death Note when i became more experienced with the medium and was more impressed compared to first time. I'm yet to watch Bakuman so let's see.
May 15, 10:15 PM

Jan 2014
Reading OP's Post:

The problem isn't anime, the problem is you bozo. There's a metric fuck ton of amazing modern anime you haven't even seen yet.
May 15, 10:21 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to TRC_Randy
BilboBaggins365 said:
You haven't seen Pluto, Cyberpunk Edgerunners, Odd Taxi, Vinland Saga, Kingdom.
nah, Cyberpunk is more edgy than mature. Kingdom on the other hand is just battle shounen without superpowers but with politics. And Vinland Saga is actually quite shounen friendly.

BilboBaggins365 said:
The Spice and Wolf remake is airing.

now THIS has adult spice, i agree.

BilboBaggins365 said:
Outside of the 80s and 90s OVA era (which you haven't much pre 2000), adult anime or anime with more adult themes, were never that common. This has always been a largely YA industry. There is a reason when people go to I want more adult anime, they also go to the same classics like Monster, Cowboy Bebop or Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Cause those shows were the exceptions, not the norm.
never that common? Bruh you serious? Ghost in the Shell SAC, Sentou Yousei Yukikaze, Area 88, Berserk, The Big O, Samurai Champloo, Hellsing, Speed Grapher, Kino's Journey, Texhnolyze, Ergo Proxy, Kaiji, Gundam 00, Paranoia Agent, Master Keaton, Aoi Bungaku, Taiho Shichau zo, Kaiba, Phantom Requiem etc etc? These all came out in the late 90s and 2000s.

BilboBaggins365 said:
i rewatched Death Note when i became more experienced with the medium and was more impressed compared to first time. I'm yet to watch Bakuman so let's see.
@TRC_Randy

Quote post asked for "adult spice" which to me also qualifies very YA stories, with other concepts you find in adult media. Cyberpunk's writing is also very much in line with the games/TTRPG, which you can say is just edgy but it still was an rpg targeted at an adult audience. It feels more YA due to the age of David if anything.

Also Kingdom's battle shonen elements are more inspired by Romance of the Three Kingdoms and VS, sure aired in a shonen magazine however, I doubt Yukimura's genre shift would be as acceptable.

Secondly if you want to get technical about this, there is very little adult media period in the medium. Most seinen/josei works in general feel very YA, or what would be classed as new YA, YA styled stories but with protags in their early/mid 20s. Most of the OP's favourite works are like that.

I haven't gotten around to actually watching the remake but what I have heard the writing is exactly like the LN which makes it pretty much also the same as the 08 version, with minor differences. I don't see what subjective differences in the character design have anything to do with the actual writing. Also sure, that is your opinion but the remake Holo looks more like the original LN design

Yeah so what? These shows were not the norm. You are talking about anime released over decades. If you take the earliest title you named Area 88 which came out in 1985 to the latest you gave which I think is 00 2007, that is literally 2 decades. I could literally go back to some of the shows you named with that time frame.

This is not the norm. The most popular shows from those eras were stuff like Dragon Ball, YuYu Hakusho, Slam Dunk, Sailor Moon, Gundam (which TBH is pretty YA in it's narratives I haven't seen 00 yet but almost every single pre 2000s one plus a decent amount of modern ones), Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, JoJo, Touch, HxH and Prince of Tennis. So basically the stuff, that has always been popular action titles aimed at youth.

Like this isn't about cherry picking that there are lots of adult anime, sure if we just named it off it seems like a lot. When you look at everything that came out however, they are a significant minority. Just like the fact Vinland Saga, Golden Kamuy, Pluto, Girls Last Tour, March Comes in Like a Lion or Ping Pong the Animation don't define anime from the 2010s or 2020s.

Edit: I mean I am watching Macross right now and it's writing is very YA (though enjoyable). Again another big anime from the 80s.

I also agreed we had a bit more in the 80s/90s due to the OVA era, but they still were largely shorter works and I think that honestly is due for a come back due to streaming.

Cool, my point is anecdotal. Nothing more.
BilboBaggins365May 15, 10:40 PM
May 15, 10:24 PM

Apr 2020
YES its getting worse. 2022 and onward have been non-stop typical anime's. anime used to have a crazy new release every season.

animes like this have been littered EVERYWHERE. its actually disgusting, why does it look like this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 10:38 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Ratris_Decision
The artstyle in improving but story wise its turning into safe 7/10 material that Npcs would watch
@Ratris_Decision
art style is improving where? do u mean animation?
May 16, 1:39 AM

Feb 2013
As a person who watches a mix of seasonals/unknowns/mainstreams/classics across all genres, I agree. I find newer animes a whole lot less enjoyable save for the art style and animation. Most really lack the complexity and try to fake it instead, which just feels like having one's intelligence insulted.

There are some great newer titles, don't get me wrong. But they get buried nor do they get enough recognition simply because they're not for the tastes of the society that seeks instant gratification/entertainment. With that said, they aren't likely to reach larger audiences or gain popularity. Unfortunately, anime isn't the only area of life where this exact thing is happening at. Sigh. I miss being young and ignorant of all these changes.
May 16, 2:59 AM

Aug 2020
BilboBaggins365 said:
Quote post asked for "adult spice" which to me also qualifies very YA stories, with other concepts you find in adult media. Cyberpunk's writing is also very much in line with the games/TTRPG, which you can say is just edgy but it still was an rpg targeted at an adult audience. It feels more YA due to the age of David if anything.

Also Kingdom's battle shonen elements are more inspired by Romance of the Three Kingdoms and VS, sure aired in a shonen magazine however, I doubt Yukimura's genre shift would be as acceptable.
yes they may categorically be YA but those three feel more teen than adult. Like if there was a Bleach-Berserk scale they'd defo lean more towards Bleach than Berserk.

And Edgerunners, sure they did have to follow the game in many ways but not necessarily having a teenage mc with a fairly sad background, and a story about him joining a not-so-legal group of adults doing not-so-legal things, they rise and then eventually fall apart, which ain't sth that a mid-20s me would look at and say "this is mature".

BilboBaggins365 said:
I haven't gotten around to actually watching the remake but what I have heard the writing is exactly like the LN which makes it pretty much also the same as the 08 version, with minor differences. I don't see what subjective differences in the character design have anything to do with the actual writing. Also sure, that is your opinion but the remake Holo looks more like the original LN design
faithfulness doesn't matter. We're talking about fulfilling the "adult" thing here. Idk about the writing but she SOUNDS more like a wise wolf in 2008 than in 2024. Her voice itself, the intonations, just her speech pattern.

Yeah yeah, ik that "you don't need to sound like one to be one".

BilboBaggins365 said:
Yeah so what? These shows were not the norm.
no i wouldn't call them a norm but such shows were surely MUCH more abundant then than today and also tackle heavier themes than today's adult shows on top of that.

BilboBaggins365 said:
You are talking about anime released over decades. If you take the earliest title you named Area 88 which came out in 1985 to the latest you gave which I think is 00 2007, that is literally 2 decades. I could literally go back to some of the shows you named with that time frame.
2004 specifically but their origin aside, the writings and aesthetics are very different. The 2004 tv series as a whole was more of a soldier story, deeper than the 1985's more simple fighter pilot story like Shin's character was different, he was more depressed in 2004, there were a lot more bits surrounding the base and its inhabitants, and the endings are different. The style and feels are different. So the "it had an older version no need to mention the newer one" logic doesn't work.

BilboBaggins365 said:
This is not the norm. The most popular shows from those eras were stuff like
I thought we were talking about "how many adult shows were there back then" not "how many popular shows back then were adult shows".

BilboBaggins365 said:
Like this isn't about cherry picking that there are lots of adult anime, sure if we just named it off it seems like a lot. When you look at everything that came out however, they are a significant minority. Just like the fact Vinland Saga, Golden Kamuy, Pluto, Girls Last Tour, March Comes in Like a Lion or Ping Pong the Animation don't define anime from the 2010s or 2020s.
not Girls' Last Tour. It's rather just a dark moe show compared to the rest.
May 16, 3:45 AM

Jul 2010
I still manage to find myself entertained. You can always watch older ones (the list is endless), read manga or just do something else when you get bored or waiting for the new anime season, hoping you will find something there or sequel of some show you like is airing. Anime is not a job you must go to even when you don't want to.
May 16, 8:25 AM

Jun 2020
Those generally bad anime will get forgotten by people in the near future. I guess there's no point to worry about them as long as we still get great ones to enjoy. Just let the producers farm their money and the braindeads hyping over the same shit, since anime is all about its profit after all. If you don't feel the excitement to watch many anime like before, just try to slowly stop it. There are a lot of things to consume more than anime, and making a hobby feels like a job that you don't enjoy is totally unhealthy.
May 16, 8:58 AM

Sep 2014
Reply to DX_impulse
@KryzakamiHrybami
so do I need to add some old stuff '90s anime to my list like NGE, sailor moon or something?
when I get bored of something and I find new things that interest me in a new genre, not in just a new anime, and then Im no longer favor these old stuff I used to like, so I do need to?
just cut off your sarcasm when you know shit about my list already.
@DX_impulse You don't need to be so defensive. I was not mocking you.

But seriously the whole "old good/new bad" debate is annoying given that the debate has been around since the beginning of the internet and people can considerably find enough bad or good anime in any era if they actually commit watching them.

The quality of old or bad anime hasn't changed much. What prominently changed within times are the themes and settings.
May 16, 9:14 AM

May 2018
Post-2010 anime has been getting worse exponentionally.
Remember the times when Mars of Destruction was considered the worst anime in existence? Now at least half of anime each season is Mars of Destruction.
People constantly argue when was the Golden/Silver Age of anime. But what we should know for sure, today is the Ice Age.
Nemo_NiemandMay 16, 9:17 AM

May 16, 9:17 AM

Dec 2019
I think it's maybe a "fatigue" because of how many new titles in one season we are getting that it just like a slop production.
May 16, 9:29 AM

Jul 2013
I just watch the older shows, so I dont really care whether the newer shows are good or bad tbh...old shows like stuff from the 2010s or earlier. Like Senran Kagura, Hyperdimension Neptunia and Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid...etc...
May 16, 9:31 AM

Feb 2023
No. Anime has generally tended to get better over time, or at least since the 90s. It did drop off a bit in quality from 2016-2022, but has been getting much better since 2023. I genuinely think that Onimai and its extreme popularity in Japan encouraged the industry to stop appealing to Westerners, and to take risks again, and now anime has been getting better.
May 16, 10:48 AM

Mar 2020
in my opinion, yes. new anime from the last few year's havent been hitting for me as well. and I feel that around 2021 there were just less bangers per season. Its forceing me to re watch lots of older stuff. I am enjoying spice and wolf remake and konosuba 3 but those are a remake and a sequal so not exactly "new".
May 16, 11:00 AM

Apr 2012
I think it's a survivor's mistake. Because now we have access to almost any anime, from blockbusters to very obscurous things. In the “classic and nostalgic” times, it seemed that even the most mediocre anime were made well, since only the most popular things reached Western viewers.
May 16, 12:57 PM

Jan 2022
You can always take a break and play chess instead, dummy.
May 16, 1:32 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
YES its getting worse. 2022 and onward have been non-stop typical anime's. anime used to have a crazy new release every season.

animes like this have been littered EVERYWHERE. its actually disgusting, why does it look like this.
@Kenzolo-folk It really hasn't. The only thing that's gotten worse is like others have said, way too much stuff being produced. Actually take the time to look back at past decades; 2010's, 2000's, 90's and so on. The meh to just ok have always outweighed the good/great. The only major changes have been art styles, fads changing, and the amount of anime coming out each year. That's it. It only feels like it's getting worse because the quantity has increased.

And I'm going to get ahead of any disagreement right now by saying any response to this is just going to be based on subjective personal bias and not actual fact. You can say the same about my argument if you want. I don't care. I'm just speaking as someone who's watched somewhat consistently for a fairly long time.
May 16, 1:36 PM

Jul 2013
I wouldnt know because I only watch old anime from the 2010s or earlier tbh...I rarely watch anime shows from the 2020s tbh...
May 16, 1:37 PM

Aug 2018
Maybe you just have a burnout and need a break
May 16, 1:56 PM

May 2016
There's a lot of cool stuff coming out. Many people and probably you as well just aren't watching them.
May 16, 2:53 PM

Jun 2012
It's probably a cognitive bias of comparing the best of the classics to dregs of current seasons. You even mention doing it in your OP. FMAB, Baccano, Death Note and the like would be stand-out Anime in any year they came out.
May 16, 3:24 PM

Jul 2013
What makes you think they are getting worse and worse btw??
May 16, 3:30 PM

May 2015
No but basic grammar most certainly is
May 16, 3:34 PM

Apr 2020
Opposite.
Anime is getting better and better.

While it's true that there ARE tropes and stereotypes, we do see an awful lot of great and unique Shows happening, each and every season.
May 16, 4:02 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to FanofAction
@Kenzolo-folk It really hasn't. The only thing that's gotten worse is like others have said, way too much stuff being produced. Actually take the time to look back at past decades; 2010's, 2000's, 90's and so on. The meh to just ok have always outweighed the good/great. The only major changes have been art styles, fads changing, and the amount of anime coming out each year. That's it. It only feels like it's getting worse because the quantity has increased.

And I'm going to get ahead of any disagreement right now by saying any response to this is just going to be based on subjective personal bias and not actual fact. You can say the same about my argument if you want. I don't care. I'm just speaking as someone who's watched somewhat consistently for a fairly long time.
@FanofAction
yeah its definitely because of overproduction. and I hate it because the animes that have been pumped out all have this horrible really anime-y artstyle like in the late 2000s and early 2010s. i thought from 2015+ we were passed that, guess not.
May 16, 4:04 PM

Jul 2013
What if they were never good to begin with?? You ever considered that??
May 16, 5:11 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@FanofAction
yeah its definitely because of overproduction. and I hate it because the animes that have been pumped out all have this horrible really anime-y artstyle like in the late 2000s and early 2010s. i thought from 2015+ we were passed that, guess not.
@Kenzolo-folk Yeah..Even I can admit more variety in artstyles would be nice. I'm just glad we don't get the really big anime eyes anymore. Yeah, they're still kinda big, but from what I've seen, the really big eyes are mostly on the little kid characters. Which I'm fine with.

This right here is a bit much for me.
May 16, 5:12 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to FanofAction
@Kenzolo-folk Yeah..Even I can admit more variety in artstyles would be nice. I'm just glad we don't get the really big anime eyes anymore. Yeah, they're still kinda big, but from what I've seen, the really big eyes are mostly on the little kid characters. Which I'm fine with.

This right here is a bit much for me.
@FanofAction
fr, clannad is lucky it has a fantastic story, otherwise it would be kind of impossible to go through the show with the characters looking like that lol.
i like artstyles where its not super realistic but kind of borders it where you can imagine what the character would look like in real life, like in vinland saga and aot.
May 16, 7:15 PM
Mar 2017
Many are similar, many are sequels, many are well formuliac. From your isekai with a gimmick to romcoms. You see pockets/corners of things but most for me have been manga. If many stick too closely to others that's why. If they branch out then yeah it isn't too bad I'd say.

Reading Today's Yuiko-san a 2010s manga set in highschool and before Horimiya I was surprised and going wait Shikimori/Kubo are this similar with their sports festival chapters both going to get going really in Volume 6. XD

I know many are just checklists these days. Sigh. So I do look elsewhere. Some don't fit a certain like like Boku Yaba feels like reading a later Yuiko-san type of relationship in high school manga that does similar barrier pushing attempts it's nice to see some not formulaic but you do get the odd repetitive checklist anime and manga for sure.

I stopped watch seasonal anime in 2020, came back then went nah in 2021 or 2022. Other than Date A Live S5 (I know I know, even then 'when I feel like it' not week to week) I haven't bothered with many others I planned on watching the past 3 seasonal periods of anime of 2023 or 2024 but just stopped caring.

I stopped researching many and just going with whatever manga I find in MAL search results or search result in apps when browsing to find the one I intended on seeking out.

Let alone whatever physical series I have interest in.

Reading Cat Gamer it's a bit good, a bit eh. The gaming moments and the cat moments are 'fine' still seem a bit ridiculous. The learning to live with a cat sure but some parts are just obsession and a bit eh. I enjoy animals but not to an excessive extent I get it they are alive, they are cool, I don't care how many photos you take or care about the animals too much.

(after Count Fujiwara has been fine of 'cat' related manga and I like it BECAUSE it wasn't too oh I love cats. To me Count Fujiwara was hey we have some cat moments for their internal thoughts/talking with another cat and hey this is how a girl who is a Hikikomori and she over comes some things. I enjoyed it. Others can be too fixated on the animals and the humans being all over them and I find it just annoying. I get obsessions but there is a point. I don't read car manga but even still I find they present the love of cars and using of them to be fair same with any other interest in many objects/hobbies but with many animals or other things the obsessions seem a bit much at times.

If anime/manga about parents and kids then glad not reading them I'd be just giving up too soon. If they are well presented sure but if not then pass. Then again I did see one guy you gets a cat and gets along with some lady and her pet so I've sort of leaned to some directions over time with jumps between each I experienced.

As a non cat person but seeing how they present animals and the human characters in certain ways, surprisingly well and in many cases better than Little Kitty Big City a pretty generic cat game).

So you can find the odd manga in some areas with some particular appeal besides just a decade or more ago but it varies for sure how far you want to go.

Mainstream seem pretty similar or more sequels but for niche series or surface level anime fan viewing series many do seem pretty repetitive of 'teasing like Takagi/Nagatoro' yep got plenty. Highschool romance yep got many of those and pick your character gimmick. I can't say for all genres/settings/themes/demographics and such.

I mean you have some with fun moments that drag on and then you have the friend/relationships so.... I just read them for the sake of reading them. I don't really care about the themes that much sometimes, the characters are fun, the moments are fun. But yes they are very typical too. Some spins on things are pretty weak I won't deny that, but I have explored a lot digitally of many niche so it hasn't been boring.

Same with music pretty good there. Games, eh pretty formulaic, basic, checklist and dumbed down over the years and gamer audience games have been just as pathetic or passable of quality of fun and exciting to play of mechanics and level design to be worth time or a purchase then researching and ignoring/moving on.

Heck I hate the nostalgia in Indie games. You have good Indies that are original, you have AAA checklists/remasters and you have nostalgia Indies that just annoy me so much. I want quality, I get that from 5-6th gen when devs back then they actually tried to put a spin on things to compete or we get veterans making successors without the license they originally had or they make new things. The fact many Indies make nostalgia titles is just disgusting.

Indies nowadays just go eh nostalgia/make the core and offer nothing new. THANKS IDIOTS. Thanks for your safe product, milking things and easy to manipulate audiences because they have no brains. Makes some collectors or old fans just look like throw aways.

They are the reason we re-write history is pure laziness to have any good ideas and understand more than why they were good is no just the polygons or the core game design it's what they also did that offered more, why others spun off ideas that actually were fun or innovated. But nope just offer the bare minimum with NOTHING NEW to offer. It's disgusting. Fans with emotionally stupid brains.

Isekai pick your gimmick.
Suntanned_Duck2May 16, 7:30 PM
May 16, 10:07 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to TRC_Randy
BilboBaggins365 said:

yes they may categorically be YA but those three feel more teen than adult. Like if there was a Bleach-Berserk scale they'd defo lean more towards Bleach than Berserk.

And Edgerunners, sure they did have to follow the game in many ways but not necessarily having a teenage mc with a fairly sad background, and a story about him joining a not-so-legal group of adults doing not-so-legal things, they rise and then eventually fall apart, which ain't sth that a mid-20s me would look at and say "this is mature".

BilboBaggins365 said:
faithfulness doesn't matter. We're talking about fulfilling the "adult" thing here. Idk about the writing but she SOUNDS more like a wise wolf in 2008 than in 2024. Her voice itself, the intonations, just her speech pattern.

Yeah yeah, ik that "you don't need to sound like one to be one".

BilboBaggins365 said:
Yeah so what? These shows were not the norm.
no i wouldn't call them a norm but such shows were surely MUCH more abundant then than today and also tackle heavier themes than today's adult shows on top of that.

BilboBaggins365 said:
You are talking about anime released over decades. If you take the earliest title you named Area 88 which came out in 1985 to the latest you gave which I think is 00 2007, that is literally 2 decades. I could literally go back to some of the shows you named with that time frame.
2004 specifically but their origin aside, the writings and aesthetics are very different. The 2004 tv series as a whole was more of a soldier story, deeper than the 1985's more simple fighter pilot story like Shin's character was different, he was more depressed in 2004, there were a lot more bits surrounding the base and its inhabitants, and the endings are different. The style and feels are different. So the "it had an older version no need to mention the newer one" logic doesn't work.

BilboBaggins365 said:
This is not the norm. The most popular shows from those eras were stuff like
I thought we were talking about "how many adult shows were there back then" not "how many popular shows back then were adult shows".

BilboBaggins365 said:
@TRC_Randy

Can't say for Berserk, however, I am going to say that even Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which often gets a lot of praise for being "adult" still has simplistic narratives in some areas. Which is fine, it's just that most "adult stuff" in anime really is quite surface level or simplistic. When I consider adult films or books (not the NSFW kind lol) they tend to have more subtlety that I almost never find in anime/manga ever. So I can't say for Berserk however, I bet it will be pretty on point like most anime/manga are. Because at the end of the day it also is just a dark fantasy manga for 20 somethings (at least when it originally came out).

I don't even really necessarily, understand the obsession for "adult writing" because TBH most of the people asking for that would be happy with New Adult esque writing. Often I just say complains about the age of many anime characters, rather than the narratives needing to be done in a different way. I mean I enjoy that kind of format of writing, I wouldn't be a long time fan of this medium if I couldn't enjoy those narratives.

I don't see how the background/premise of the story have anything to do with whether it's mature or not. What I am going to compare it to is some edgy action cyberpunk "adult" OVAs like Midnight Eye Gokuu and yeah Edgerunners is about on par with that and has more actual commentary than a series like that.

Like I like Votoms and Blue Gender, two mecha anime I often see get thrown out as shows for adults and again, fun yes (Blue Gender kinda nosedived at the end) however, when I consider the actual writing, in depth characterization or subtlety, nah something like Edgerunners is pretty much on par. Frankly even stuff like Chainsaw Man, is on par with a lot of "adult shows" in that regard.

No, not much more, maybe just a bit more and even then a lot of those were short OVAs, rather than big mainstays of the industry. Plus also nah, when anime tackles heavy themes it's usually the same narratives about war, trans humanism or family trauma.

thought we were talking about "how many adult shows were there back then" not "how many popular shows back then were adult shows".

I mean do you want both you and me to start going through anime in the 80s,90s and 2000s and break down if we think it has a mature premise, or writing? I am speaking from my time going to big shows and the occasional times I check out an OVA or nicher entry. I just don't find those to be as common. I have never said my view isn't anecdotal, it is however, anyone's opinion on this is going to be annecdotal.

It has more interesting conversations about human nature than your average edgy 80s sci fi OVA, that people largely claim is for adults. So yes Girls Last Tour, I don't see how being Moe disqualifies that beyond a superficial vision of what "ADULT" media qualifies as.
BilboBaggins365May 16, 10:23 PM
May 16, 10:51 PM

Mar 2021
Maybe it's just me but all this talk about Adult Anime is a bit ironic. The closest thing recently to an adult Anime would be basically some drama without any need for some flashy battle scenes or extreme amounts of gore, violence, nudity, which would be a title like "Ōoku: The Inner Chambers".

The real appeal about Anime to someone who is an old school Anime consumer like me is the fact Anime is widely not a medium that is suppose to be taken that seriously. I consume and collect Anime as a form of escapism. Being someone my age who consumes Anime still actually makes me feel a tiny bit younger knowing some of the people I know in real life do not have such vises to cling onto who are the same age as me. Even some of my friends I use to play Halo with in College when there was no online play (you had to get a group of people with multiple Xbox consoles, multiple TVs, and do a lan server setup where everyone was basically in the same room just to have death match battles) don't even play Video games anymore because they simply grew out of them and any relation to video games these days they have are mainly focused on getting new games and consoles for their children instead.

Even back when I was in Highschool, The 1st time I ever experienced lan server Death match gaming was when one day our electronics/CAD instructor (I did a two year vocational training program in electronics/CAD where we had about a dozen students from all across several schools in the area meet for classes during part of the day) set up all the computers in the room to be connected to each other and we had a 1993 DOOM death match the entire time we were suppose to be being taught. It was meant to be an educational experience for us to see the potential of what computer networking could accomplish in a practical sense (This was done when windows didn't even exists and everything we did on computers was always done using DOS).

I guess the the point is for an older viewer, Anime is suppose to make one feel young which is why so many Anime titles are not typically adult oriented. While I encourage and welcome "true" adult Anime material in this medium, the fact that people just get older as time goes by, trying to target an adult audience does not always equate the need to pump out a flood of "adult" material.

As a fairly recent example I find something like "I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too" oddly entertaining to watch. YES, this Anime is complete trash for what it's worth but it's the fact it's the epitome of a male power fantasy just for the sake of a male power fantasy and nothing more makes it so interesting to me. This Anime title goes no deeper than that and oddly I find something like this humorous to watch as well as entertaining.
ColourWheelMay 16, 11:11 PM
May 17, 3:31 AM

Apr 2024
ColourWheel said:
The closest thing recently to an adult Anime would be basically some drama without any need for some flashy battle scenes or extreme amounts of gore, violence, nudity

I don't see why an anime for mature audience wouldn't be allowed to have violence, nudity and gore.

For me the difference is in the narrative structure.

Anime for mature audiences I can recommend are for example:

May 17, 3:56 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to TransferUser
ColourWheel said:
The closest thing recently to an adult Anime would be basically some drama without any need for some flashy battle scenes or extreme amounts of gore, violence, nudity

I don't see why an anime for mature audience wouldn't be allowed to have violence, nudity and gore.

For me the difference is in the narrative structure.

Anime for mature audiences I can recommend are for example:

TransferUser said:

I never said Anime for a mature audience wouldn't be allowed to have violence, nudity, and gore. I was simply trying to convey that any real entertainment that is actually trying to target a mature audience doesn't necessarily need violence, nudity, and gore.

Don't get me wrong, I love a fair share of violence, nudity, and gore in Anime just like I am sure many Anime consumers like as well. It's just likely too many Users seems to be under the impression these elements are too much the focal point of what Anime should be like to target a mature audience which shouldn't really be the case.

One could basically dissect most of all the examples you have thrown out in your post and create a narrative structure similar to most of your examples and have it target a general audience or even kids shows completely devoid of violence, nudity, and gore.

For the record "ReLIFE" nor "Gallery Fake" is meant to specifically target mature audiences anyways. So it's kind of weird seeing you throw those titles in there mixed with your "Anime for mature audiences" recommendations.
ColourWheelMay 17, 4:34 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Vampire Princess Miyu

Sekiryu - Jul 14, 2010

3 by logopolis »»
54 seconds ago

» Can someone please help me fine the name of an old anime ( no pics available)

Karimhi - Jun 8

8 by Silverlight41 »»
2 minutes ago

» I can't believe an anime did this....

LenRea - 8 hours ago

13 by BigBoyAdvance »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it possible to recommend 2000s Anime to kids nowadays?

Dragevard - 12 hours ago

19 by BigBoyAdvance »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

125 by ColourWheel »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.