Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 2, 5:48 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Reylith
Dont get me wrong i love this series and i know this series isn't perfect but just wondering why didn't Mio go back in time to save Shinji? I mean she is the mother of all spirits right? So she has everyone's power right? Why couldn't she just go back for a few minutes and save him? If Kurumi power can make you back in time. Mio can too isn't it? did they explain it in the light novel? or did the author forget that part?
@Reylith Yes it is explained in the ln.
satorudesMay 2, 5:59 AM
May 2, 5:53 AM
Apr 2019
satorudes said:
@Reylith Yes it is explained in the ln.Mio knows that it wont change anything because shinji is still a human and obviously he will also get older by time when mio couldnt.Eventually,she thought that the only way for her to be together is by making shido a *boy who could use the power of spirits* basically god.

@satorudes is this revealed later? or did the anime actually skip it? i think this is very important for them to skip though. if they really skipped hoping that they mention it later down the line. without this it feels like a massive plot hole.
May 2, 5:55 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Reylith
satorudes said:
@Reylith Yes it is explained in the ln.Mio knows that it wont change anything because shinji is still a human and obviously he will also get older by time when mio couldnt.Eventually,she thought that the only way for her to be together is by making shido a *boy who could use the power of spirits* basically god.

@satorudes is this revealed later? or did the anime actually skip it? i think this is very important for them to skip though. if they really skipped hoping that they mention it later down the line. without this it feels like a massive plot hole.
@Reylith They will explain it later on soo im actually quite sorry for spoiling it.Might put a spoiler tags later on.
May 2, 5:58 AM
Apr 2019
satorudes said:
@Reylith They will explain it later on soo im actually quite sorry for spoiling it.Might put a spoiler tags later on.

@satorudes no worries but you should edit and add spoiler tag in that.
May 2, 6:00 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Reylith
satorudes said:

@satorudes no worries but you should edit and add spoiler tag in that.
@Reylith Alright done.Also you should definitely check out one of the forums that explain about the amount of foreshadowings in the series its really good.
May 2, 6:02 AM
Apr 2019
satorudes said:
@Reylith Alright done.Also you should definitely check out one of the forums that explain about the amount of foreshadowings in the series its really good.

@satorudes okay. I'll look it up later.
May 2, 6:48 AM
Oct 2020
Great, wanna know more about it!
May 2, 7:08 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to Reylith
Dont get me wrong i love this series and i know this series isn't perfect but just wondering why didn't Mio go back in time to save Shinji? I mean she is the mother of all spirits right? So she has everyone's power right? Why couldn't she just go back for a few minutes and save him? If Kurumi power can make you back in time. Mio can too isn't it? did they explain it in the light novel? or did the author forget that part?
@Reylith
Taking future revelation into account... So just using past information.

Remember Shido going back in time?

Was he able to save Origami's parents eventually?
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 2, 7:33 AM
Apr 2019
Laplace_kun said:
@Reylith

@Laplace_kun gotcha but still i think explanation/mention would've been better for story wise at least. well if they added it later i wouldn't mind either. btw wasn't Kurumi able to save Shidou. took her 204 attempts?
ReylithMay 2, 8:38 AM
May 2, 8:16 AM
May 2021
Wow what a twist sheeesh. Best episode of Date a live till now
May 2, 9:44 AM

Nov 2019
Reylith said:
Laplace_kun said:
@Reylith

@Laplace_kun gotcha but still i think explanation/mention would've been better for story wise at least. well if they added it later i wouldn't mind either. btw wasn't Kurumi able to save Shidou. took her 204 attempts?

Nice catch. And see how many attempts and how much reiryoku that cost her?

Westcott is not erring in choosing the method of tiring her out.

Now, the thing is Origami's parents didn't die immediately after Shido saved them.

Same could apply for Shin. There are so many ways a mortal can die :)

Even if Mio killed Westcott back then before Shin gets killed by him...

I think you get it by now.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 2, 2:36 PM
Deez

Jul 2021
So good, very good, yes very good!
May 2, 8:09 PM

Oct 2022
And here it is, one of the biggest mysteries of the story was finally answered, granted we've gotten glimpses of this across some of the previous seasons... but now we pretty much got the confirmation of what happened to Shin (Shidou) and what Mio really did to him 30 years in the past.

May 2, 9:51 PM
Jan 2017
If I could describe this episode with three words, those words would be "answers are given".

The secret history of Mio Takamiya is revealed, as well as her relationships with Mana, Westcott and, of course, Shinji. It's a beautiful, emotional and tragic episode that hits you hard in the feelings, with a career-best performance from Aya Endo.

Date A Live is the gift that keeps on giving.
May 3, 2:18 AM

Feb 2018
Oh dayum, we're suddenly shown some past we haven't seen before and it was pretty wholesome until it wasn't lol. Looks like crazy stuff happened before wow.
That Mio girl also seems to be connected with Reine perhaps? Who would've thunk lol (I kinda didn't pay too much attention to the ED until now oopsie lol).

Random side note: that first bullet shot at the floor when Shido and Mio was scrammin' made me jump lmao.

Never ending plan to watch list...

May 3, 7:22 AM

Oct 2008
damn! these are the TRUE REVELATIONS!!! it is all because of this SSS-Class mother origin spirit!
5/5.

May 3, 7:48 PM

Aug 2018
That was quite good and unexpected.
May 4, 4:09 AM

May 2015
Mio is kinda cute.
May 4, 8:45 AM

May 2020
Dare I say best Date a Live episode??? So that’s why Mio calls him Shin! FINALLY got Shido/Shin’s backstory and it’s as tragic as I expected. Mio and Shin’s love story being so cruelly interrupted by Westcott and his goons made me so mad, man. This guy is just straight up irredeemable trash.

Reine has been calling him Shin since episode one despite his name being Shido. Real reason is he’s a Shinji Takamiya. She also cares for him like a mother while having some longing feelings. And she’s been master manipulator all this time. Then the doll she cares about. Everything she’s done up to this point makes sense in hindsight.

Also a fun fact for some people here:

Mio at the end said the line "I'll never let you go again. I'll never make the same mistake again"

This line was also said by Phantom(who we now know is Reine/Mio) to Shido back in Season 3 Episode 9 after Shido travelled back in time for a 2nd time and went to confront her, hoping to prevent Origami's "canon event"

But the first time this line was said actually goes way back in Season 1 Episode 1. After Shido got knocked out from the fighting between Tohka and AST, he had a "dream" about someone with a mosaic voice relieved of seeing him again and says that very same line before Shido wakes up with Reine(who we now know her true identity) doing a check up on him.

This just shows that the author, Koushi Tachibana already set this twist up way back at the start of the story.
Homura24May 4, 8:53 AM

May 4, 8:46 PM
Apr 2023
Amazing; haven't read the manga so it was completely new content that I didn't even think of happening.

I understood from season one that Reine was going to be an important character, and from season three that she was the spirit of origin. But how this played out?? Didn't even see it coming.
May 5, 3:34 PM
Apr 2020
Reply to Laplace_kun
Dinosaurtime_YT said:
@Laplace_kun Nothing was crammed. What are you on about?

Well they skipped not much, except the classroom lunch thing and date discussion iirc. So not many problems there.

But the entire episode is a conglomeration of various scattered events which makes it tough to feel the development of love between Shin and Mio. It felt quite mechanical to me.
@Laplace_kun

Having them scattered through like the light novel would make it way worse, since you'd lose people jumping between past and present. It think putting them all together was the best option.
May 7, 1:36 PM
Mar 2021
Very beautiful episode...
May 8, 6:02 AM
Aug 2022
i loved it, i almost cried when shido died
May 8, 9:42 AM

Mar 2017
Ok.........MIO WORST CHARACTE-
Feel pain, think about pain, accept pain, know pain... Shinra Tensei!
May 14, 8:46 AM

Apr 2015
I was happy with this episode finally giving us some answers. Is this the same Mio that's on Ratatoskr? Guess we'll know soon. But the end took me by surprise, She ended up getting pregnant with Shin? And why is Shido named Shinji here, I need answers!
May 14, 8:48 AM

Apr 2015
Reply to IzanaSolos
With the conclusion of the last episode, we've finished one volume out of six, and now we're diving straight into Volume 18.

Thirty years ago, Shidou rehearsed asking Mio out on a date for the first time in front of a mirror. While he was practicing, Mio appeared behind him and agreed to the date. Overwhelmed with exhaustion and embarrassment, Shidou collapsed afterward. Mio, suffering and in tears over Shidou's apparent death, let her rage take over, unleashing her powers to escape with him. Even after tending to Shidou's wounds, he remained unconscious, causing Mio to cry even more.

At the end, Mio uttered the line "I'll never let you go again. I'll never make the same mistake again." Interestingly, this line was first spoken way back in Season 1 Episode 1. After Shidou was knocked out from the fighting between Tohka and AST, he had a "dream" about someone with a disguised voice expressing relief at seeing him again and saying that exact line. Shidou then woke up with Reine (whose true identity we now know) conducting a check-up on him. This adds complexity to Shinji/Shidou's relationship with Reine/Mio. They're lovers, but at the same time, Mio is also somewhat like his mother.

Mio's inversion gives birth to her opposite, which is the halo shown in the OP. Assuming this happened 17 years ago for Mio to give birth to Shidou.
@IzanaSolos Your comment just helped me get a better understanding of the plot, Especially that Reine/Mio and Shinji/Shidou stuff. Thanks for this, I hadn't rewatched the previous seasons so I was feeling confused about some stuff. Thank you.
May 15, 8:58 AM
May 2023
Very nice …………
May 21, 4:28 AM
Feb 2022
As expected, Shidou treats mio like a normal girl and went a on a date with her since it's a recurring trend in the series. Looks like Mio was a target so their time was limited.
May 22, 11:27 AM
Feb 2024
Ohhh actually good ep this time! Maybe the best ep of the entire series.
Jun 7, 1:48 PM

Jun 2023
Ok we finally get the Mio and Shido backstory arc and we learn that Shido/Shin may not technically be the same being or are they? Mio being the first spirit makes her a target for DEM and Issac specifically, but we don't know why he is so deadset on needing spiritual powers yet. As expected Mio is a great, but is super traumatized by Shin being killed in front of her eyes, causing her to invert. I guess we also learn why Reine always calls Shido, by the name Shin.
Jun 8, 11:56 AM
May 2024
Reply to StallionXD
HARUKO HOMURA MY BELOVED ❤️❤️❤️

And Mana too, it's great to see her so much this season, I hope she gets a bit more more screentime.

btw, why the fuck would you kill the friend of the spirit you are trying to capture? Is that dude THAT stupid? lmao
@StallionXD Her design looks so similar to Kotori, I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't Kotori. But yeah Isaac is ruthless af to just shoot Shin like that, triggering Mio's inversion.
Jun 8, 4:24 PM
May 2024
So that's how the Date of all the Dates in DAL started huh, it's sad how an peaceful episode takes a sudden turn. Well more backstories on the next episode.
Jun 8, 6:45 PM
May 2024
Yeah, the very first date Shin/Shido ever went one was with Mio, the spirit of origin.
Mio is so cute but the trauma of seeing her beloved Shin get massacred right in front of her turned her screws loose. Tragic.
Jun 9, 1:23 PM

May 2024
Remember that Tohka was the only spirit that Shido gave a name to, because they had met on the 10th of April. Now it is revealed that Mio was also given her name by Shin, because they met on May 30th, and 30 can be read as 3-0 or Mio. As expected of Shido's naming sense. I think that this signifies that Tohka is more connected to Shido than any of the other spirits aside from Mio herself.
Jun 16, 1:06 AM
Anime Archivist

Aug 2019
Can't ever shop in peace with the world in turmoil, eh? Welp, we got the floating girl of the quake there. Of course, take her home with you is the standard response.

Feels fitting that he does this with spirits outside of the present timeline. And Mio is kinda cute for a newly spawned girl. But this tineline really puts a wrench in the equation with that BFF. Really does look familiar doesn't she..

Poor Mio.. although I still worry more about Kurumi's donut situation.
Jun 16, 4:34 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow, things are getting absolutely crazy with Mio being the spirit mother, meanwhile the agents are attacking, kidnapped Mana and literally shot Shidou... but now things will change
Jun 23, 3:06 PM

May 2024
Mio and Shin's full backstory from when they met to Shin's murder at the hands of Wescott. We see Mio develop from an innocent spirit who had no concept of anything including verbal speech, to one who loves and cherishes her family with Shin and Mana, to the insane inverted yandere Mio after the traumatic events. It's a sad backstory but one necessary for developing the backbone of the DAL series. We learn that Shido is just Mio's attempted recreation of Shin, and the spirits were formed to achieve the goal of keeping the new Shin (Shido), safe.

Mod Edit: Removed Spam
anime-primeJul 1, 1:34 PM
Jun 23, 4:31 PM

Jul 2016
The visuals for the ending theme this season, Hitohira show visuals from this episode with the original beach date between Mio and Shin. Mio looks so happy just being there with Shin who means the world to her:

It's so sad to see what she became after she loses Shin.
Jun 23, 7:49 PM

Jun 2024
The origin story of how spirits came to be, resulting from the magi (Wescott)'s creating Mio, and Mio being saved by Shin and developing a relationship with him and Mana. All of that is so brutally ripped away from her, as soon as Wescott begin over after Mio, ultimately resulting in Shin's death. Mio is never the same after that traumatic event, and thus has become so ruthless in regards to doing anything to stand by Shin again.
Jun 23, 8:48 PM

May 2024
The moment that Mio's entire perspective on the world changed, and the backbone to the entire series, Shin's death at the hands of Wescott. To get back Shin, Mio is willing to do anything and everything.

Jun 24, 5:07 PM

Jun 2024
The parallels between Shin's meeting of Mio and granting her that name because of the date in comparison to Shido meeting Tohka and granting her that name are very evident, despite Tohka being belligerent on their first encounter while Mio being more of a clueless being. Nevertheless, Mio has a much softer and reserved personality, who seems to still be learning how to express her emotions and understand them. Of course this all changes due to Wescott's pursuit of what he deems is his spirit all so he could utilize Mio's powers to crush the world. At this point I will assume that Mio does not have access to all of her spiritual powers, so there was no way for her to read into what was coming (IE no Rasiel to know the situation). It is only after Shin's death that Mio inverts and gains those powers, but it was probably too late to use Zafkiel's time warping abilities to revert the world back to a state where Shin would be alive.
Jun 26, 10:23 AM

Jun 2024
Mio realizing what it means to love someone and be loved by someone makes such a cute face. Seeing her go from this innocent girl to the monster who will do anything to achieve her goals was crushing to watch.

Jun 26, 5:09 PM

Jun 2024
Reply to baconriceneggs
The parallels between Shin's meeting of Mio and granting her that name because of the date in comparison to Shido meeting Tohka and granting her that name are very evident, despite Tohka being belligerent on their first encounter while Mio being more of a clueless being. Nevertheless, Mio has a much softer and reserved personality, who seems to still be learning how to express her emotions and understand them. Of course this all changes due to Wescott's pursuit of what he deems is his spirit all so he could utilize Mio's powers to crush the world. At this point I will assume that Mio does not have access to all of her spiritual powers, so there was no way for her to read into what was coming (IE no Rasiel to know the situation). It is only after Shin's death that Mio inverts and gains those powers, but it was probably too late to use Zafkiel's time warping abilities to revert the world back to a state where Shin would be alive.
@baconriceneggs Yeah, Mio's inversion basically creates all of the spiritual powers we are familiar with in the series which were contained in the form of the crystals that she passes on to each of the girls. I think with this logic, once Mio reacquires each crystal she will regain her full powers as the mother spirit, which she would then use to make Shido immortal.
Jun 26, 7:39 PM
May 2024
Reply to benjic665
@Seeker18

Hello,

it's clearly explained, don't worry. some LN readers have made the mistake of answering this kind of question on other networks and in fact..... it spoil the next episode!
@benjic665 Are you an LN reader? What are your thoughts on the pacing of this season? I'm slowly going through my binges given the season is over, and it definitely feels a bit rushed, getting Mio's entire backstory from being created by Westcott to meeting Shin, to losing him right in front of her eyes. I probably have a million questions, but one thing I'm curious about is why Mio is not able to just use her spirit powers to go back in time and alter history, instead going about a weird plan to revive Shin?
Jun 26, 7:53 PM

May 2024
Reply to Xtuber
i loved it, i almost cried when shido died
@Xtuber You mean Shin's death, which was what broke Mio. Shido is Mio's attempt at resurrecting Shin by instilling all of Shin's memories into Shido after giving birth to him.
Jun 27, 10:35 AM
Oct 2023
Reply to JNguyen2024
@benjic665 Are you an LN reader? What are your thoughts on the pacing of this season? I'm slowly going through my binges given the season is over, and it definitely feels a bit rushed, getting Mio's entire backstory from being created by Westcott to meeting Shin, to losing him right in front of her eyes. I probably have a million questions, but one thing I'm curious about is why Mio is not able to just use her spirit powers to go back in time and alter history, instead going about a weird plan to revive Shin?
@JNguyen2024

Yes I am an LN reader. For me the pace was perfect, because unfortunately, it goes so quickly in the books...

But yes, we don't see the time passing in this season 5... I've never had this feeling in an anime in which 23 minutes seem like 5...

Mio doesn't use her powers to go back in time, because she wants to make Shin immortal, so they can be together forever. She doesn't want him to die of illness or old age.

For this, there is only one solution: give him a little of his powers, but not all at once, because human beings are not adapted to this. As a result, she gives him the ability to seal minds in order to recover spirits powers little by little. There is only one solution for this: give him a new body that has this ability.

This is said later in the anime.
Jul 9, 2:43 AM

Apr 2013
I thought Shidou travelled back in time or something, but then he would've died... which would actually not be a bad turn of events. But I guess that was just some alternate dimension? I dunno.
Aug 6, 1:50 AM

Sep 2017
That was a flashback right?
خ
Aug 9, 1:07 AM
Aug 2021
Yes, Yes and yess.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 26

188 by Tropisch »»
Sep 14, 9:35 AM

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22

68 by Fatephile »»
Aug 16, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 15

135 by Fatephile »»
Aug 16, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 5

54 by TanedaKaori »»
Aug 10, 1:09 PM

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29

70 by TanedaKaori »»
Aug 10, 1:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.