Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shangri-La Frontier
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 11, 7:34 AM
Nov 2021
animation : masterclass
Feb 11, 8:13 AM
Oct 2019
MY FRIENDS, WHAT A FUCKING FIGHT, all these fight episodes were wonderful, congratulations to the studio, the director, the animators, the author, everyone, my god, what an incredible fight
Feb 11, 8:14 AM

Mar 2020
C2C, Hironori Tanaka, all the other animators, you cooked with this one. Absolute cinema.

Yeah, maybe the fight was a bit too long for my liking, but the fact the animation was consistently at such a high level, it's great to see. The pay-off was worth it.
Feb 11, 8:29 AM
Jan 2009
Reply to deg
@GakutoDeathGlare no her old sister is not pencilgon you can see in the op her old sister is in red long hair with armor too in the game
@deg
Good catch. Looking at the character list, you're right. Also, the sisters gave their characters matching names. Kind of adorable.
Feb 11, 9:06 AM
Feb 2017
q final de ep fdp....
Feb 11, 9:07 AM
Sep 2020
Animation went crazy with this episode.
Feb 11, 9:46 AM
Aug 2020
long ass fight
but the ending was good
Feb 11, 9:50 AM

Jan 2013
They are literally just making up skills as they go lol.
Feb 11, 9:57 AM
Sep 2021
Animation was peak, it really stole the show, the fight was perfect & the arc also.
Feb 11, 10:05 AM
Nov 2023
Looked good, took way too long.

I feel that the game setting works against the story, there's too much trying to justify why it's hard or how powerful buffs are by having absurd requirements or costs. It gives the audience a bunch of expectations that get broken a lot, like how the whips have been used across the episodes.

Sunraku at all being allowed to hurt himself with the dagger and survive it due to an obscure mechanics change he read about in a magazine is a god awful contrived point of tension, especially because he could've done it in the earlier episode several times (once per death) without having to meticulously make sure he drained himself down to the correct amount of HP - He gets one-shot from all the attacks anyway. In fact he should not have been surprised at the end or thought that he failed his prep, he should've been ready to exploit this mechanic at the end from the get-go considering this is how his most powerful move works.

"Just enjoy the show" I would if it was just fantasy, but they specifically went out of their way to make this about a game and have it be an integral part of the story and reasoning.
It doesn't matter how pretty some scenes are if it's one big exhausting mess that just drags on and keeps pushing the tension. It could've been a truly great episode, but for me it doesn't get even a passing grade.
Feb 11, 10:18 AM
Jul 2015
Reply to doomrider7
@Dickegrobe

Should just drop the series so we don't have to hear more of your shitty takes.
@doomrider7
While your reasoning is obviously wrong, you do arrive at the right conclusion. And so should I, but sunk cost fallacy and all ...

PS: Pls don't be offended by people having the wrong opinions (aka not the same as yours). Life is still fun, you know.
Feb 11, 10:58 AM

May 2021
hironori tanaka + C2C cinema. just beautiful. incredible drawings and sakuga. the moonblade assembly scene by nobuyuki matsuo was crisp asf. this ep was something else. hope wethermon can finally rest in peace.

Feb 11, 11:14 AM

Jan 2014
Nice ending song. Glad they show the couple, happy moments. The parry was superb animation. So, one of colossi defeated. The trio will probably be hunted by the guilds that chasing the colossi and the admin would make a ruckus since a colossi is beaten and buff the other six. A battle that hard must have a game-breaking loot.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Feb 11, 11:42 AM
Oct 2019
My reaction to the animation
Feb 11, 11:45 AM
Mar 2021
ABSURDOOOO mt brabo
Feb 11, 11:48 AM

Nov 2021
animation in todays episode was fire af
Feb 11, 11:55 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to Smilomaniac

I feel that the game setting works against the story, there's too much trying to justify why it's hard or how powerful buffs are by having absurd requirements or costs. It gives the audience a bunch of expectations that get broken a lot, like how the whips have been used across the episodes.

Sunraku at all being allowed to hurt himself with the dagger and survive it due to an obscure mechanics change he read about in a magazine is a god awful contrived point of tension, especially because he could've done it in the earlier episode several times (once per death) without having to meticulously make sure he drained himself down to the correct amount of HP - He gets one-shot from all the attacks anyway. In fact he should not have been surprised at the end or thought that he failed his prep, he should've been ready to exploit this mechanic at the end from the get-go considering this is how his most powerful move works.

"Just enjoy the show" I would if it was just fantasy, but they specifically went out of their way to make this about a game and have it be an integral part of the story and reasoning.
It doesn't matter how pretty some scenes are if it's one big exhausting mess that just drags on and keeps pushing the tension. It could've been a truly great episode, but for me it doesn't get even a passing grade.
@Smilomaniac

First of all, it's not contrived if it was set like 3nepisode ago and that change in rules was actually nerf. Second there was no point use that before, Sunraku didn't do any damage anyway so higher crit was useless on top of that he was waiting for his other skill cool down.

First you should papay attention how, when and why were skill used instead throwing some random opinions on wall and hope it sticks.
Feb 11, 12:03 PM
Jun 2020
it was one of the best animated fights of the past two years, truly a feast for the eyes, the music the direction all stellar i really wish more people watched this show
Feb 11, 12:18 PM

Nov 2017
Episodes 15 to 18 are impressive! The battle against Wethermon totally captivated me, and I'm not disappointed with how the fight and the plot are developing. The tension is palpable, and every moment is masterfully staged! 🔥
Feb 11, 12:19 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to Tenzen12
@Smilomaniac

First of all, it's not contrived if it was set like 3nepisode ago and that change in rules was actually nerf. Second there was no point use that before, Sunraku didn't do any damage anyway so higher crit was useless on top of that he was waiting for his other skill cool down.

First you should papay attention how, when and why were skill used instead throwing some random opinions on wall and hope it sticks.
@Tenzen12 It is absolutely contrived lol
He deliberately goes down in health multiple times when he could've just done this, this is indisputable, I couldn't give a rats ass between whatever abilities he's using, it's mechanically a dog shit fight anyway.
Something being announced earlier doesn't invalidate it as a contrivance and none of what you say in any way eliminates that he should've prepped this, it was only to create false tension and deliver an emotional moment for Wezaemon to look at his dead girlfriend.

Maybe you should "papay attention" to the point people make and curb your insecurity, so you don't get upset when someone outs what you like as flawed.

Be confident in what you like despite its shortcomings, you don't need to defend it to maintain your opinion, you can just shrug and walk away instead.
Feb 11, 12:31 PM
Apr 2022
JUST AMAZING
the animation, the fight the tactics all amazing this episode
Feb 11, 12:40 PM
Jun 2016
Impressive episode

Feb 11, 12:41 PM
Sep 2019
Reply to RjtheGreat14
Shangri La Frontier Unlimited Budget Works! So many Sakuga moments in this episode!
@RjtheGreat14 *so many sakuga moments in the whole anime.
Feb 11, 12:48 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to Smilomaniac
@Tenzen12 It is absolutely contrived lol
He deliberately goes down in health multiple times when he could've just done this, this is indisputable, I couldn't give a rats ass between whatever abilities he's using, it's mechanically a dog shit fight anyway.
Something being announced earlier doesn't invalidate it as a contrivance and none of what you say in any way eliminates that he should've prepped this, it was only to create false tension and deliver an emotional moment for Wezaemon to look at his dead girlfriend.

Maybe you should "papay attention" to the point people make and curb your insecurity, so you don't get upset when someone outs what you like as flawed.

Be confident in what you like despite its shortcomings, you don't need to defend it to maintain your opinion, you can just shrug and walk away instead.
@Smilomaniac I am not upset I trying to give you advice so you can better yourself and communities you are part of. And actually think before saying something is very basic in that regard.
Feb 11, 12:58 PM
Nov 2023
Reply to Tenzen12
@Smilomaniac I am not upset I trying to give you advice so you can better yourself and communities you are part of. And actually think before saying something is very basic in that regard.
@Tenzen12 It was a pissy attempt to be smart with me and it fell flat on its ass. Don't tell people they're wrong when they're not and then dress it up as if it was with good intentions.

Take your own advice and think before you reply to someone.
Feb 11, 1:48 PM
Mar 2019
The ending fight was epic, but I can't get over how they waste 2 minutes of every episode for the theater.

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Feb 11, 1:54 PM

Sep 2016
Lmao, that lewd innuendo at end was gold.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 11, 2:22 PM
Mar 2021
best sunrakuuuuuuu pakl
Feb 11, 2:32 PM

Feb 2019
Nah man the production values are always crazy in this show but this was just ridiculous. Had chills throughout. This is how you do a VRMMORPG boss fight. Give us that feeling of how thrilling and difficult it is to overcome a special event boss. Too many shows just breeze past these crazy fights. It took everything Sunraku and his party had to get past this.

Not only that, but they managed to give more life to a video game special event boss than most of these shows give to their main villain in 12 episodes. That final scene with the Sakura petals and then Reona’s amazing ED… chef’s kiss.
Marinate1016Feb 11, 2:43 PM
Feb 11, 2:39 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to deg
@GakutoDeathGlare no her old sister is not pencilgon you can see in the op her old sister is in red long hair with armor too in the game
@deg Oh, OK, cheers.
Feb 11, 3:30 PM

May 2018
Epic final clash, that was visually pleasing and totally worth waiting for.

Feb 11, 3:36 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
What a beautiful episode! The time and set up for this conclusion of this fight was fantastic. It had you on the edge of your seat every week wondering what was going to happen or if they were actually going to defeat him. Hopefully this season can end on an 8 because it is definitely well deserving of that rating 💯
Feb 11, 3:49 PM

Apr 2016
Drawings were consistent, fluid, and detailed on top of incredibly engaging and dynamic boards. Probably the best episode of the show.
Feb 11, 3:51 PM
Jan 2023
This is a 10/10 Episode
Feb 11, 3:57 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Smilomaniac

@Smilomaniac I actually agree with you
If this show is yet another SAO type death game that REQUIRES you to beat the Seven Callosal to quit the game, the whole p2w setting and over preparedness would have make much more sense.

But trying to justify all these setting/tension as a MMO is a bit of stretch really. No dev would purposely make 7 op hidden bosses that's either:
- No-one find out the way to trigger it cuz the method is very convoluted.
- Need huge investment per attempt to the point that you can't fail the fight or it's over.

MMO contents are meant to be discovered and meant to be cleared / replayable if you want your game to have any degree of player retention.
The fact that most players don't know about the hidden plot mc experienced just prove that this is a shit game the mc keep mentioning.
It's as if they have this futuristic vr tech but their internet/ content creators are super inactive and ancient, as if this show is taken place Pre 2000s.
H x H Greed Island and SAO works because of the special nature of those games. The whole game is enclosed toward specific group of people and it has consequences when you fail because it simulate real life.
Ventus_SFeb 11, 4:11 PM
Feb 11, 5:37 PM
Dec 2020
Reply to Ventus_S
@Smilomaniac I actually agree with you
If this show is yet another SAO type death game that REQUIRES you to beat the Seven Callosal to quit the game, the whole p2w setting and over preparedness would have make much more sense.

But trying to justify all these setting/tension as a MMO is a bit of stretch really. No dev would purposely make 7 op hidden bosses that's either:
- No-one find out the way to trigger it cuz the method is very convoluted.
- Need huge investment per attempt to the point that you can't fail the fight or it's over.

MMO contents are meant to be discovered and meant to be cleared / replayable if you want your game to have any degree of player retention.
The fact that most players don't know about the hidden plot mc experienced just prove that this is a shit game the mc keep mentioning.
It's as if they have this futuristic vr tech but their internet/ content creators are super inactive and ancient, as if this show is taken place Pre 2000s.
H x H Greed Island and SAO works because of the special nature of those games. The whole game is enclosed toward specific group of people and it has consequences when you fail because it simulate real life.
@Ventus_S it's not have to be another death game like SAO to need a high investment to defeat the boss. I still don't get you how is this a P2W at all when all you need is an in-game currency. All you need is only to grind or farm it again to recover all the currency you blow in a single boss, you don't have to pay real money at all.

If you defeat the 7 boss then it's the end of the game, logically the dev would make the boss as challenging as possible to keep the game running for a long time. You really underestimate player as if you haven't played any hardcore game at all. There's people who can actually defeat an endgame boss with a lvl 1 character.

If you give player chance time to keep challenging the 7 boss with low investment equipment the game will be closed in less than a year. Elder ring is hard yet nobody call it trash game you are the one who is trash if you can't even defeat the first boss battle.

Players likes challanges if you can't stand to grind for months to get a super broken items and can't defeat the boss then quit the game because the game is not for you, it's that simple. So far only Lycaon that needs a RNG to encounter but later in the manga
Its actually very exciting if you encounter something unique in the game without looking at the guide in YouTube, surely you have experienced that no?
Feb 11, 5:53 PM
Apr 2021
they rly dragged the show until the battle started, we had like 3 or 4 eps ruining the hype of the fight but it still slapped in the end with a very dynamic battle THAT MADE SENSE, mechanis you would actually find in a game other than just
enemy beats u
u beat enemy
enemy lvls up
beats u
u lvl up
u beat enemy
repeat 3 times

it felt like a mix of sao and log horizon without any drama im ok with it 🤌
Feb 11, 6:32 PM
Apr 2023
The writers for the game were either heartbroken due to a real-life experience or probably genius-delusional to be able to create such in-game scenario and especially emotional backstory, enough for Pencilgon to be engaged and dedicate resources to finish the quest. That was a long battle (30+ minutes) and took tons of game currency but overall fun. Really a skill-based boss battle, pretty much like a SL1 gameplay in a souls game.

PS: Saiga still can't defeat the boss which is her huge crush for Hizutome.
Feb 11, 6:48 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Zirkfector
@Ventus_S it's not have to be another death game like SAO to need a high investment to defeat the boss. I still don't get you how is this a P2W at all when all you need is an in-game currency. All you need is only to grind or farm it again to recover all the currency you blow in a single boss, you don't have to pay real money at all.

If you defeat the 7 boss then it's the end of the game, logically the dev would make the boss as challenging as possible to keep the game running for a long time. You really underestimate player as if you haven't played any hardcore game at all. There's people who can actually defeat an endgame boss with a lvl 1 character.

If you give player chance time to keep challenging the 7 boss with low investment equipment the game will be closed in less than a year. Elder ring is hard yet nobody call it trash game you are the one who is trash if you can't even defeat the first boss battle.

Players likes challanges if you can't stand to grind for months to get a super broken items and can't defeat the boss then quit the game because the game is not for you, it's that simple. So far only Lycaon that needs a RNG to encounter but later in the manga
Its actually very exciting if you encounter something unique in the game without looking at the guide in YouTube, surely you have experienced that no?
@Zirkfector
Not using guide is one thing, no-one knows about those encounters/ plot is another
Like I said the lack of discoveries within the game almost implies that:
- The author is old and using his experience of pre 2000s era which internet / youtube videos are not that common within MMO/ Online game community.
- The author never really play a MMO. He play single player game and never use guide/ video, but assume other players do the same too.
- No-one really plays this game so very few hidden stuffs are discovered (but it's already proven false since the author said this game has 2 million active players , which i can hardly believe that's the case.)

You keep mentioning Elden Ring but those are two completely different cases
Almost all the Elden Ring bosses , including the hidden ones like Malania are beaten in less than a week. (not 2 whole freaking years)
None of the Elden Ring encounters requires coop nor use of huge in game currency to beat.

Just because this show features super bosses like Soul series does not mean the setting of this game makes sense.
So far we know that within the 2 years of the game release no-one has beaten even one single colossal, and most of them have not even been encountered or no-one knows the concrete way of triggering the encounters, which is baffling for a MMO of 2 million playerbase.
This type of situation will only happen in a very old game or a game almost no-one plays.

We also know that mc is the only guy who trigger the vipor bunny land which is baffling too. So basically you have a whole town with all those unique npcs locked away from all the players for 2 whole years. What kind of dev do that?
Or is the community for Shangari-la really this retarded that they can never trigger special encounter?
Ventus_SFeb 11, 6:53 PM
Feb 11, 7:30 PM

Jan 2013
What an episode! These episodes make you really wish that a game like this existed irl so that you and your buddies could play it, it's just way beyond epic.
Regarding the episode, my boy Sunraku had to surpass his limits and end the episode in the most epic way.

What an ending to the Wezaemon boss! And that ending made it truly special!
Can't wait for more episodes to come!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Feb 11, 8:04 PM

Feb 2021
Finally, the battle is over. That speed really intense! :)
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 11, 8:14 PM

Sep 2012
ohh wezaemon is so handsome!!
uwu uwu
Feb 11, 11:01 PM
Apr 2020
Incredible final episode for the fight, hadn't heard of the guy that directed this episode but I'll definitely keep him on my radar now. The fight was incredible but honestly what stands out is the camaraderie from the main trio. Such a lovable group of idiots.
Feb 11, 11:05 PM

May 2019
So it looks like the Wethermon fight is finally over and I wonder what epic loot the group got. Also, since Pencilgon stabbed her old guild in the back I'm curious if they'll go after her and the group.
Feb 11, 11:09 PM
Apr 2017
Best episode this season so far
Feb 12, 12:39 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to Smilomaniac
@Tenzen12 It was a pissy attempt to be smart with me and it fell flat on its ass. Don't tell people they're wrong when they're not and then dress it up as if it was with good intentions.

Take your own advice and think before you reply to someone.
@Smilomaniac I see. You are lost cause. Well, at least I tried.
Feb 12, 2:52 AM
Mar 2021
What a great and beautiful episode
Feb 12, 5:37 AM

May 2015
This fight is FINALLY over, it started to be very long.
Feb 12, 5:58 AM
Jan 2016
What a battle! I will definitively watch it again in its full version once available on YT in the future.

I laughed so much when Sunraku realized he fucked up and then managed to save his ass with a new mechanic thanks to the momentum brought by their companions. It reminds me when I was panicking in a critical situation and forgetting a mechanic because I thought my plan was ruined x')

Beyond that, I'm wondering if the "hidden phase" is not supposed to be a normal phase to beat the boss. I mean, devs invest so much on this phase (unique attacks including one that can OS a lvl 99 player full stuffed, interesting lore, highly exigent patterns) that it would be a waste if players could simply win the battle by surviving 30 minutes while not wearing the secret pendant.

My theory is that after 30 minutes without the key item, an event might close the battle (OS attack, Deus ex machina, players kicked off the arena...) and alive players would access to a unique boss scenario to obtain the identification pendant or a similar item. In that case, players would also need strong buff such as disabling the level-down condition/stuff, get an OP companion, or following at least an hardcore training such as what Sunraku did. Otherwise, I don't see how commons HL players could defeat this boss.
And here, Sanraku would have obtain the secret item because he already proved his value against another world boss.

Anyway, I enjoyed this battle and I can't wait players' reaction once they will be aware of this. Everyone are likely going to harass the trio :D
Feb 12, 6:27 AM
Oct 2023
fights animation is getting better
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Abysmally slow pacing is ruining the anime

GangsterCat - Nov 19, 2023

40 by Tetraquads »»
May 28, 10:18 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31

107 by Gabu-sama »»
May 28, 5:31 AM

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 18

91 by Huperchild »»
May 21, 7:32 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24

60 by KyoyaTempest »»
May 19, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2023

91 by leeyo69 »»
May 17, 1:49 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.