Forum Settings
Forums

What are your red flags when watching an anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 24, 2023 12:55 AM

Mar 2023
Apolygon2 said:
Spunkert said:
Even if all of that is true, Made in Abyss is still just one of many fantasy anime. One modern fantasy that may be good is not enough to say that modern fantasy is not a red flag for me.

all the other ones I named are good or great shows. made in abyss is just the best one out of all of them.
Still just a few compared to over 100+ other modern fantasy animes out there.
May 24, 2023 1:08 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
I'm a simple man: boredom. I prefer fun trash (Rental Kanojo, KamiKatsu, SAO, Ishuzoku Reviewers, etc.) than somniferous "super productions" (Shigurui, Texhnolyze, etc.).

Along with this comes unnecessary slow pacing. For example, as much as I like Vinland Saga, I'm starting to get fed up with dreams, hallucinations, flashbacks, and, oh my, the farm... even now that action is supposed to have started, there's not a single moment unnecessarily elongated by long talks, flashbacks, dreams or thoughts from the characters. It could have been a one-cour show easily.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
May 24, 2023 1:43 AM

Aug 2020
Apolygon2 said:
TRC_Randy said:
Incoherence
that could a lot of the time be build up though... it depends on why is it like that.

perfect blue a lot of times feels random, confusing and incoherent, but it's an amazing movie, not despite of that, but BECAUSE of that.

maybe. I'm just saying it as a general rule not a universal rule.
May 24, 2023 1:52 AM

Sep 2021
Random bullshit mid-fight powerups.
Serious misunderstandings which should have been easily resolved by talking to each other.
Characters have unrealistic caricatured behaviors (i.e. yelling all the time, being way too perverted, or way too tsundere, or prone to psychotic levels of violence for minor infractions)
May 24, 2023 1:56 AM

May 2021
ZeroMajor12 said:
I would like to know what can make anyone lose patience whenever they're trying to watch any anime or even any TV shows at all.
I instantly lose patience when anime use needlessly shocking things to show to attract the viewers attention(I can't describe with words so I will give you examples of what type of anime I have zero patience with and hopefully will answer your question) . Example like that are Goblin slayer , Redo of healer , AOT, Made in Abyss. And anime that are trying to force idiotic drama like what Domestic girlfriend  or My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong As I Expected does . 
YubisoftMay 24, 2023 2:00 AM

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
May 24, 2023 5:00 AM

Jul 2015
Characters who cry a lot for no reason, is my top red flag. It just kills all my enjoyment. I can handle screaming but if it's too much it becomes an impossible task to finish the show.
May 28, 2023 3:46 AM

Mar 2018
- Dry dialogues due to excessive exposition. This is insulting to the viewer and can explicitly voice things that are meant to be implicitly understood.
- Characters who talk in a monotonous bored voice. I friggin hate them. They're not cool. Although Yamada kun from the Lv999 anime is inoffensive for some reason. Maybe because the show portrays it as a hindrance to his social life and not as a cool trait.
- Self insert, beta and submissive male MCs. Like so many trash isekai MCs. For beta and submissive type, the MC from Takagi san comes to mind, or the "invisible" guy from Kubo san.
- Bad animation in first episode. Like use of still frames for important action in an ACTION scene lmao.
May 28, 2023 4:27 AM
Jul 2018
For me it's the characters, if they are unlikable the anime somewhat becomes unlikable.

Also usually I be hating female character that are badly written or annoying.

Also I hate kids in anime for the most part. 

That's just me tho
May 28, 2023 4:56 AM
Apr 2022
ateks said:
If it's already overhyped weeks before the first episode you just know it's gonna be the most boring normie trash ever.
I agree with this guy, with csm

Apolygon2 said:
Spunkert said:
I could care less about all those mention shows.
bro what?

have you seen any of them?

for made in abyss specially, you can't possibly like fantasy and not care about made in abyss.

also you should say couldn't, when you say "could care less" it means you care.
made in abyss more like made in pedobyss
May 28, 2023 5:02 AM

Mar 2023
Artstyle, no matter how good it is I can't enjoy it if I hate the artstyle (hate not just dislike)

No likeable character. I still can enjoy a story if most or even all but one of the character are horrible. As long as I like one of the character. It doesn't have to be the MC but I need someone to root for. Granted, I finished School Days but it leave a bad taste afterwards.

Bad Pacing, slow when it need to be fast and fast when it need to be slow. But most of the time you can't tell this just based on the first episodes.

Also I tune out as soon as I saw an OP MC at the beginning of the story without adding any meaningful flaw. A given sign that they skipped a lot of character development and reduce the stake. OP power are only allowed for villains. Also, unless it has a really good twist sprinkled on it, I wouldn't give any isekai-ish show a chance in the first place.

Any unsettling feeling that Kakegurui gave me (Idk why exactly but just watching the 1st episode makes me really unsettled)

And most importantly Boredom, I tune out as soon as I get bored and has no intrigue in the series anymore

May 28, 2023 5:10 AM
The first red flag would be something that has to do with the MC, if the MC is generic or just poorly written then that’s a huge red flag. Another red flag is 90% internal monologue of the Main character.
May 28, 2023 5:15 AM

Oct 2019
dumbandinsane said:
ateks said:
If it's already overhyped weeks before the first episode you just know it's gonna be the most boring normie trash ever.

Apolygon2 said:
bro what?

for made in abyss specially, you can't possibly like fantasy and not care about made in abyss.

if a handful of weird unfunny loli and shota jokes makes you hate one of the best fantasy stories and tragedies ever made, good for you.

but i for one couldn't care less.

nothing is too far when it comes to fiction.

i don't like that part of the show personally, but its like 0.1% of the show.... i'm not gonna let that 0.1% decide how i feel about the show.

and to be clear, i dislike it because its unfunny, and out of place which takes you out of the stories.

i don't give a shit about real life morals in my japanese cartoon.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 28, 2023 5:21 AM

Sep 2010
dumbandinsane said:
ateks said:

Apolygon2 said:
bro what?

Don't quote me again dumb pedoclown.
May 28, 2023 5:21 AM
Apr 2022
Apolygon2 said:
dumbandinsane said:

if a handful of weird unfunny loli and shota jokes makes you hate one of the best fantasy stories and tragedies ever made, good for you.

but i for one couldn't care less.

nothing is too far when it comes to fiction.

i don't like that part of the show personally, but its like 0.1% of the show.... i'm not gonna let that 0.1% decide how i feel about the show.

and to be clear, i dislike it because its unfunny, and out of place which takes you out of the stories.

i don't give a shit about real life morals in my japanese cartoon.
pretty meh for me lol no wonder these hyped up shows can be as generic as most generic shonens, most of the effort i've seen are the loli ecchis, damn those scenes can vary in lots of ways aint it
dumbandinsaneMay 28, 2023 5:32 AM
May 28, 2023 5:30 AM
Apr 2022
ateks said:
dumbandinsane said:

Don't quote me again dumb pedoclown.
wtf you angry for? just agreeing with your opinion stranger.........
May 29, 2023 12:20 AM

Apr 2020
1. Dumb Protagonist. 
2. Annoying female Protagonist.
3. Pointless Fanservice.
4. Slow Pacing - nothing worse to focus on the Plot, which takes 20 minutes to finish a running animation.
5. If you lewd Lolis. This shit is something I can't forgive. If I come here to watch an Anime for the Plot or Comedy, I don't come here to watch fictional naked little People or Childs.

6. My most hated one is probably making the Protagonist a Loser and Neet without friends and a pathetic existence. And then suddenly turning him into a Badass who gets all girls and can solve all shit because he was a Neet his entire Time and developed a Godlike Brain. 
May 29, 2023 7:05 AM

Mar 2021
-when the show changes format too fast and too much suddenly
-has very slow pacing
-is too echhi and sexual
May 29, 2023 7:56 AM

Sep 2014
My biggest red flag is studio shaft itself.
May 29, 2023 8:51 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Whenever there are too many comedy scenes in an episode of a fantasy anime, that would be bad sign of anime turning into another Konosuba which I avoid like a plague.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 30, 2023 12:00 AM

Jul 2022
Too much fanservice or fanservice of minors (underrated characters) are HUGE red flags for me.

Side note, people that claim fanservice-e girls in anime are the best are MAD annoying.
ⓘ User is suspected to be a part of an online terrorist organization. Please report any suspicious activity to Discord MAL staff

May 30, 2023 5:16 AM

Jan 2008
A character that makes a really really dumb decision that effects everyone else. Usually by not revealing something they know that's actually important because they are too wimpy or too self centered to do so. 
May 30, 2023 7:21 AM

Oct 2021
Male character that doesn't want to hit a girl even if the girl already hit him
Female characters that physically assault male characters when those male characters didn't do anything wrong.
Violent tsundere characters
Stupid and dumb loud mouth main characters
Studio ENGI
May 30, 2023 7:26 AM

May 2019
Lolis hinder my enjoyment of a show, period. Glorified pedophilia-bait istg.

Don't get me wrong, there's a difference between literal child-characters that fulfill the role of being children, for example Ushio from Clannad, Anya from Spy x Family, Naru from Barakamon and Rin from Usagi Drop (anime only, heard the manga went off the rails) and obvious loli-bait to satisfy sick fucks with twisted and deluded minds. Examples: Shinobu from Monogatari and Shiro from NGNL. It's sickening.
yo
May 30, 2023 7:37 AM
Jul 2018
SmProject said:
-A lesbian character portrayed as creepy, gropy, and makes the other girl characters uncomfortable.

Yes, this also.
I hate that one girl in Railgun.
May 30, 2023 5:12 PM

Feb 2021
There are no red flags because I enjoy everything.
May 30, 2023 5:28 PM
Dec 2021
Excessive fanservice and objectification of female characters, especially if treated as a joke or shock value.
May 30, 2023 5:51 PM
Mar 2017
The themes being eh is a big one for me if it's really very particular on the stance it wants to showcase I'm not a fan.

When they have to force characters to do things. Like oh they like to read books, make them do outside things because they must as if being outside/extrovert is always the solution like WTF? If it suits the plot of the character suits going somewhere in particular then sure (the reason I hate the outside stuff in Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai is it felt like other anime with the 'we go and do this' while the more 'oh were going to the core story part now where he goes to the special Shepard library I was fine with it made sense, the other filler stuff did not) but just randomly doing things because reasons I don't buy into that nonsense. As if we can't have any inside scenes or switch to characters that are outside not forcing the protagonist to always go outside for some social reasoning BS or character positioning. Can we not swap character perspectives anymore we have to follow the character/bring the protagonist everywhere and they just happen to go there even with a defined 'character' already. I always found that disconnecting and strange. They can better structure them but they choose not to and make them just a camera to follow then the camera following any characters doing other things which feels more natural. Not saying it always happens but with certain shows it made me zone out.

They can be ambiverts but like come on sometimes it's just garbage excuses to put characters in situations. I don't think characters have to fit a label/type/trope but when it's really forcing them and their character is fairly defined I do find it a bad look when they are what they are and put into situations just because they have to be. IRL it would be 'come on you have to go outside because I tell you to or it's socially accepted to be outside then inside or whatever other nonsense is said in this situation' 'but I want to read my books' 'too bad I say so, parents say so and whatever other excuses to put here of being outside because you can't be inside'. It's hilariously dumb and also when you see enough slice of life tropes over and over it gets really annoying too with 'this character framework that clearly doesn't suit at all while others do' then repeat the same situations. Wow what a framework that doesn't apply to similar shows. XD Sigh

Some that go 'read the manga or wait later in later episodes/seasons because we have a pointless excuse as to why we won't tell you this detail yet'. I hate when they do those, and you can see them coming too they aren't baiting just disappointing the viewer because they know they don't have anything else but that core story thread but go 'wait we have more subplots or this and that'. Sigh.

Terrible tsunderes that you can't stand complaining or hitting. I don't mind the weak male characters if it still keeps things going (even if you can tell most of them are really dull, and you can see things really easily of why they messed up or are too stupid) but you do sometimes with very particular ones want them to just 'do something' or not take the garbage they have to deal with.

The overly noisy screaming/crying scenes.

If it's too dumb or boring drama dragged out too long and I can't put up with it.

Very particular things.

I am open to many shows doing different things and even watched many I have no interest in of content but in certain ones they do get on my nerves.
Suntanned_Duck2May 30, 2023 6:06 PM
May 30, 2023 6:18 PM

Dec 2016
samsince04 said:
Unexplained coincidences. It drives me crazy. Why the hell did these two people that know each other get reincarnated into siblings? Why are they the only ones that reincarnate after they die? I NEED ANSWERS!

Honestly, same                                       
May 30, 2023 6:23 PM

Oct 2017
Sexual harassment/ rape scenes used either for shock value or titilation are a major red flag for me to skip or stop a series. Sometimes it is important for the plot to have these kinds of scenes but if it is only used for one of those two purposes and not for important plot or character development like them overcoming trauma related to it or something, it is an instant nope from me.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
May 30, 2023 8:17 PM

Nov 2018
@Jackson1333
Jackson1333 said:
When the presumably flat character takes off their overside sweater, only to reveal two massive melons hiding underneath. 

I thought I was the only one who found it completely immersion-breaking when they see anime characters with relatively believable chest sizes suddenly go up like 5 cup sizes whenever they either change into underwear and swimsuits or undress completely. Seriously, in some cases the changes are so freakishly abrupt it becomes hard to believe the girl doesn't just face plant immediately or suffer a catastrophic spinal injury.
May 30, 2023 9:00 PM

Mar 2022
If I was still young, I would have said it that I have no red flags because when I was young I watched almost anything, but now I have grown and I changed a lot and these days anything that have LGBT content or a female that acts like a bitch, I quit on the spot.
If you want to know more about the censorship that is infecting all forms of media, the following links may interest you.

https://varishangout.com/index.php?forums/censorship.41/
https://varishangout.com/index.php?threads/poor-localization-compilation-thread.31/
https://varishangout.com/index.php?threads/shitty-localizers-general.553/
https://store.steampowered.com/curator/10576967-Cut-Content-Police/

HH✋ "Do You Want Total War?" - J.G
          "Our Patience Has It's Limits" - J.G                                                                                                            

May 30, 2023 9:20 PM

Aug 2009
For ecchi shows that aren't thought of as harems but have bits of it throughout the series: When the harem element overrides the other aspects of the series. Ecchi is the most relevant to my interests for martial arts and super powers. Harems are more appreciated though visual novels where I pilot the main character.

May 30, 2023 9:34 PM

Feb 2019
🤔 I have very few red flags since I tend to give most of them a chance before dropping (depending on how much free time I have), but basically...
- if the mc is annoying, boring, or just plain stupid. Also if the MC just wants to play hero all the time, disregards everything, and pretty much digs his own grave.
- if there is hardly any character development in a show that heavily relies on it
- if there is an annoying and useless supporting character (... though usually if that's the case, i'll still watch but just skip that character's parts)
- if the plot hardly makes sense or is too cliche
- if there are too many flashbacks or if the placement of flashbacks makes no sense 
- if there is really poorly executed CGI
- if the voice acting sucks (... this is kind of rare)
And lastly...
- if I actually read the manga and I don't like how it proceeds, then I won't watch the anime. (no need to be upset twice) 
- If it's an isekai anime with a weird plot (e.g. if it's just about a guy with a bunch of girls and nothing else), then I won't watch since I won't have the motivation to watch all the way. 
- otherwise, if the first 2-3 episodes aren't getting anywhere, then I'll drop it. 
May 30, 2023 10:17 PM

Oct 2022
When i see children from 9-13 undergarments on screen, i hate sexualisation of underaged anime girls. Yawnnn...i still completed No Game No Life tho.
opin·ion
[əˈpɪnjən]

NOUN

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge:"that, in my opinion, is right" ·

May 30, 2023 10:20 PM

Oct 2022
@ApplePieHunter I gotta agree with you on all these points. Though, most of the time i continue to watch only bc its like 90% of the animes I've watched have done 1 or more of these things and i just have to know what happens next.
opin·ion
[əˈpɪnjən]

NOUN

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge:"that, in my opinion, is right" ·

May 30, 2023 10:25 PM

Oct 2022
Another BIG red flag is when the characters and mc start forgiving a character who has just committed the worst sin you could imagine and that everyone else wont get revenger because they will be just as bad- its like, bitch what!!?
opin·ion
[əˈpɪnjən]

NOUN

May 31, 2023 3:40 AM

Dec 2013
When I see the characters or anime itself, not taking themselves seriously:

Benriya Saitou-san, Isekai ni Iku

When an anime parodies western media, or old popular anime scenes or phrases:

Shin Shinka no Mi

There are definitely more, but these are ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Jun 3, 2023 6:51 PM

Apr 2011
LSSJ_Gaming said:
Sexual harassment/ rape scenes used either for shock value or titilation are a major red flag for me to skip or stop a series. Sometimes it is important for the plot to have these kinds of scenes but if it is only used for one of those two purposes and not for important plot or character development like them overcoming trauma related to it or something, it is an instant nope from me.

You brought up a very good point on sexual harassment/rape scenes being for shock value. I totally agree!

Code Lyoko, we'll reset it all
Code Lyoko, be there when you call
Code Lyoko, we will stand real tall
Code Lyoko, stronger after all
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you like weak maids or strong maids?

Catalano - Jun 6

19 by JaniSIr »»
5 seconds ago

» ways to watch as before

otaku2000anime - 4 hours ago

7 by Zayvex »»
2 minutes ago

» Why aren't there more political / historical anime?

mahrjose - Jun 7

26 by RudeRedis »»
48 minutes ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Yesterday

65 by RudeRedis »»
56 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these shonen is the best in your opinion?

Yaaceen - 5 hours ago

35 by Yaaceen »»
57 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.