Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 29, 2023 5:48 PM

Mar 2021
i watch it using my eyes

no but seriously i didn't even know there were other options. i just do whatever the default is on [ANIME PIRACY SITE REDACTED]
Jan 29, 2023 6:10 PM

Aug 2009
Watch two 4:3 episodes side by side so that the aspect ratio is 8:3 which gets close to filling out my 21:9 monitor.

Jan 29, 2023 11:43 PM

May 2020
ColourWheel said:
Joshhhp said:
With black sides. I don't see anyhow you can change the screen size unless you download eps or watch with an old TV but I never do
Even modern HDTVs and smart TVs these days you can manually adjust the aspect ratio. Every HDTV I own in my house has the option in the TV settings to change the display. The oldest HDTV I own is a Sony 65" with a Bravia Engine in my living room. The newest TV I own is 32" Hisense smart TV I have in my kitchen. Basically every TV in my house has the feature to adjust ratio aspect from zoomed to standard viewing.
Oh I see then, thank you for correcting me! I wasn't to familiar with modern HDTV

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Jan 30, 2023 12:33 AM

May 2018
Joshhhp said:
I wasn't to familiar with modern HDTV

How "old" do you consider it to be still "modern", since I have seen even plasma TVs (Remember those? One of the first wide screen models.) having the option to switch between different modes of interpreting 4:3.
In the 90s there were even CRT models which could stretch anamorphic 4:3 to look letterbox.
Jan 30, 2023 1:20 AM

May 2020
alshu said:
Joshhhp said:
I wasn't to familiar with modern HDTV

How "old" do you consider it to be still "modern", since I have seen even plasma TVs (Remember those? One of the first wide screen models.) having the option to switch between different modes of interpreting 4:3.
In the 90s there were even CRT models which could stretch anamorphic 4:3 to look letterbox. 
I'm not sure lol it's been ages since I've used a TV daily, I'm mean I'm only using those while I do lunch and dinner but they are definitely not modern. I think my parents have one of those plasma TV you're talking about but I don't even know for certain

Jan 30, 2023 1:30 AM

Apr 2013
Stretching looks awful and cropping removes information, so black bars it is.
Jan 30, 2023 1:42 AM

May 2018
Joshhhp said:
I'm not sure lol it's been ages since I've used a TV daily

Maybe back than there were some weird models, but most of the mainstream ones would have that, especially in the times of the transition from 4:3 to 16:9...and now we are transitioning from 16:9 to 21:9 so some unconventional aspect ratio modes are needed too.

My oldest TV (my mother is using it) is from 2012 and has a dedicated button on the remote for that (and in free zoom mode activates additional controls) and my newest (my father was using it) is from 2017 and has the same modes (except 14:9), only they are accessible via the menu.
In more "ancient" times my DVD and the Top Box for the cable TV service had similar options, which worked for 4:3 and for 16:9 TVs.
Point is - you need those in order to use legacy formats.
Jan 30, 2023 1:42 AM

Dec 2020
Stacias said:
I leave black bars on each side, I suppose.
Good to see a taylor appreciator here.
                                                                                                                                                                                      My reviews

Jan 30, 2023 3:00 AM

May 2020
alshu said:
Joshhhp said:
I'm not sure lol it's been ages since I've used a TV daily

Maybe back than there were some weird models, but most of the mainstream ones would have that, especially in the times of the transition from 4:3 to 16:9...and now we are transitioning from 16:9 to 21:9 so some unconventional aspect ratio modes are needed too.

My oldest TV (my mother is using it) is from 2012 and has a dedicated button on the remote for that (and in free zoom mode activates additional controls) and my newest (my father was using it) is from 2017 and has the same modes (except 14:9), only they are accessible via the menu.
In more "ancient" times my DVD and the Top Box for the cable TV service had similar options, which worked for 4:3 and for 16:9 TVs.
Point is - you need those in order to use legacy formats.
I wasn't informed that we're about to translate from 16:9 to 21:9. The TVs is used were suppose to be from late 00', they are 16:9 format without the ability to zoom so I'm guessing I missed a lot during the last decade

Jan 30, 2023 4:06 PM

Jul 2021
In its original form.

What kind of maniac zooms in the picture?
Jan 30, 2023 8:36 PM

Jul 2021
I watch with black bars on each side, or sometimes I watch on my old CRT. It's a really noisy TV tho, so not often

Jan 30, 2023 8:45 PM

Aug 2018
Watching Bleach right now. Its first few episodes are in 4:3 ration, so I just watch them in their original form i.e., keep the black bars on each side.
Jan 30, 2023 8:47 PM

Mar 2021
epidemia78 said:
old anime already tends to look grainy, stretching only makes it look even worse. And I dunno how anyone tolerates background images when they're playing retro 4:3 format games. didnt even know it was an option for tv/movies.

black bars are the only way to go. easy to ignore.

I like grain in anime, I like grain in most things really. I think a lot of modern anime looks way too clean and plain looking. It breaks the immersion. I actually use a grain filter for a lot of anime I watch.
Jan 30, 2023 9:21 PM

Jan 2013
Just watch it normally? This is so fucking random. lol
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jan 30, 2023 9:21 PM

Oct 2014
I just watch with the black bars. When I split screen anime 4:3 actually works better for that than 16:9 since it takes up most of its part of the screen while giving you space to do something else on the rest of your screen while 16:9 anime ends up very small if you try this with it, but I don't do that anymore since I now use my TV as my PC monitor and still use my laptop a bit as a second screen.
Jan 30, 2023 9:29 PM

Mar 2021
See with the black bar left in place.

It is troublesome to crop the screen or change the aspect ratio forcibly, and I don't have to do it, so I watch it in 4:3 as it is.

Jan 30, 2023 10:27 PM

Feb 2021
I always watch on the original aspect ratio
Jan 31, 2023 2:48 AM

Aug 2022
CountingCrows said:
SouthernmostIsle said:
what about an android tablet?best mal suggestion ever - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2047945
I don't think there is much of an option though I can't say for sure since I don't watch any entertainment media (eg. Western media or anime) on tablet or phone. SORRY I don't think I can help you how 'bout asking someone more qualified.
thanks, byebest mal suggestion ever - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2047945
Jan 31, 2023 10:29 AM
Dec 2019
SouthernmostIsle said:
CountingCrows said:
Usually in mordern T.Vs you can change the aspect ratio from the display setting
what about an android tablet?best mal suggestion ever - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2047945
On android phones and tablet, you can download and use VLC Media player. It has options there for various aspect ratios like 4:3, 16:9, or stretch the video to "fill" the screen. It has guides the first time you use it.
Jan 31, 2023 10:45 AM

Aug 2020
Monitor. I like my animated stories in full screen.

Jan 31, 2023 12:30 PM
May 2019
takamono said:
I just watch in its original form, and leave two black bars on each side of the screen.
Agreed.  This is the only way to watch them, as they were produced.  To alter it would ruin it.
Which one do you want? An Addiction or A Good Life?
A) Addiction - a progressive narrowing of the things that bring you pleasure.
B) A Good Life - a progressive expansion of the things that bring you pleasure and includes pleasure through motivation and hard work.
Feb 28, 2023 4:39 AM
Feb 2023
I got my self a small SONYCRT television, It has become easy to connect modern devices to CRT televisions with a SCART input. So im watching some of the old stuff like that even some of the new stuff looks good at 1080p. I also think the blurred effect looks pretty good. There is another option to watch old anime in a 5:4 monitor with image slightly squeezed. If i had a QLED TV you probably wouldn't even notice the black bars at night time.
JuliaSmithFeb 28, 2023 4:52 AM
Mar 16, 2023 3:35 AM

Jun 2015
"I stretch the image sideways."
Mar 16, 2023 12:30 PM

Sep 2007
nori357 said:
black bars, its how it was meant to be watched, everything else kinda feels like, wrong to me?
i might just be being weird but, id rather have an authentic 4:3 "this is the show" experience, then try random things that could detract from the shows experience.
I agree and it's not weird as it's meant to be watch that way before there was internet  and widescreen/High definition became a thing. Unless they still have the original source files and decided to remaster or re-edit for HD TV/Stream or Blu-ray release.
Mar 16, 2023 12:31 PM

Jan 2021
I've never thought about this, I just watch them as little squares to avoid the picture blowing up or getting cropped. 
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 29, 6:40 AM

Jan 2021
I have an old 15" LG LCD TV from 2005 or so that i bought for less than 14€. I used to have an old 13 inch Sharp CRT just for that purpose but it was too heavy...

I remembered this thread because im watching Azumanga Daioh on it...and it is the best option nowadays!
Mar 29, 7:07 AM

Nov 2019
I LOVE 4:3 ANIME IT LOOKS FIRE , I dont care about the black boxes as I am used to it. Actually now speaking about it I did not even notice so ye, hope to keep watching older animes and you guys too, im watching ground defence force mao-chan and it looks amazing, but shit anime lol, bye
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Mar 29, 7:21 AM

Feb 2020
Sites with older anime I notice has those, but I still watch as I don't think it can be changed and it's still better than letterbox ratio *stares menacingly at my copy of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla '74*
Mar 29, 10:09 AM

Nov 2017
I thought that most people just stretch image to sideways. I am surprised with the results.
Mar 29, 10:24 AM

May 2022
I watch them with the black bars on the side, I'm not gonna go out of my way just to do something about the black bars.
Mar 29, 10:33 AM

Jul 2023
I don't like black, bars but the other solutions are worse. Also, there's the expensive solution of using OLED, which makes black bars almost unnoticeable. It's a difficult dilemma for me to choose between the larger but less fancy screen, and the gorgeous but tiny phone screen
Mar 29, 10:38 AM

Jan 2013
Unless the bars are bright neon colored, I can't fathom why this would matter in the slightest.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 29, 10:40 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to Rinenka
I thought that most people just stretch image to sideways. I am surprised with the results.
@Rinenka Only an absolute psychopath would stretch a 4:3 video, completely distorting the picture.
Mar 29, 10:53 AM

Jun 2019
I'm watching Maison Ikkoku atm, just finished an ep a min ago, after a while I completely forget the black bars are there. I grew up with 4:3 ratio so kinda used to it.
Mar 29, 11:03 AM
Nov 2017
I flip it diagonally, and then turn on distortion to make it metal af
Mar 29, 11:07 AM
Feb 2019
Black bars are cool.(obligatory 30 characters rule)
Mar 29, 1:23 PM

Jul 2013
I watch anime files with VLC player on my smartphone and computers btw.
Mar 29, 1:32 PM

Dec 2021
I stretch it to 32:9, obviously. 🤡

It's just how it was meant to be.

Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you put any self-imposed restrictions onto yourself when making your favorites lists?

JKKH - Apr 13

29 by Rhae »»
34 seconds ago

» What's the biggest outlier in your favorite series or character list?

TheBlockernator - May 22

27 by Pg13_ »»
8 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9121 by appledude1221 »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime ops you never skip

Mattenan - 3 hours ago

11 by Horizon248 »»
9 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

122 by Jipsi »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.