Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 2022 9:56 AM

Feb 2018
Awesome first episode and absolutely dogshit second one. No comedy and self-irony anymore, just epitome of edgelord fantasies.
Guess that I was wrong and Nexus made ep 1 not as a parody, but as a LOOK HOW COOL OUR MC IS stuff.

What a disappoinment -_-
Oct 12, 2022 9:57 AM

Oct 2016
So Cid is basically lying about everything. lmao
Oct 12, 2022 10:00 AM

Oct 2015
I love it. Maybe become to edgy for some people
Oct 12, 2022 10:10 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Hmm the beginning of his isekai life and how he's finally able to use mana to do what he wanted to do in his real life, especially the manipulation of all these girls against a fake sect but I don't really understand why the other guy was surprised when she said the name of the thing MC invented like if it existed for real, anyway what's surprising is that end with the girls all wanting to leave :o
Oct 12, 2022 10:14 AM

Jul 2021
This was a nice episode.

Understood what kind of comedy this is gonna have. It isn't anything hilarious but yes it is funny.

MC is well OP, no surprise there. The twist that he wants to remain in shadow is unique. He's even keeping his real talent a secret from his family.

Liked to see that our MC didn't go into full blush-fest awkward mode after seeing alpha.

His sister really love him though.

Haha the ending got me a little.

5/5.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 12, 2022 10:16 AM
Jan 2018
I admit I'm so disappointed, the anime it's too serious, the protagonist has no charisma (he is much more eccentric in the manga) and the comic parts have no impact, the manga is absurdly hilarious and the anime didn't catch the same essence.

I recommend everyone to go read the first chapters of the manga.
Same scene from this episode in the manga:

ThighsYLoverOct 12, 2022 10:50 AM
Oct 12, 2022 10:18 AM
Nov 2017
Ashhk said:
Hmm the beginning of his isekai life and how he's finally able to use mana to do what he wanted to do in his real life, especially the manipulation of all these girls against a fake sect but I don't really understand why the other guy was surprised when she said the name of the thing MC invented like if it existed for real, anyway what's surprising is that end with the girls all wanting to leave :o

That's the whole comedy point this story revolves upon. He made up some story he doesn't believe in himself, while everyone around him take him seriously, because
Oct 12, 2022 10:20 AM
Jul 2019
Like how this is progressing
Oct 12, 2022 10:21 AM

May 2021
oscar worthy performances by shadow-sama. expected a more tsundere-like voice for claire and comedic moments could've been better but it's okay ig. decent animation all throughout. can't wait for next week!

ryoko6Oct 12, 2022 10:31 AM
Oct 12, 2022 10:23 AM
Apr 2018
the person that hates this series was the same person that wants to punch fischl and oz every time they opens their mouth.
Oct 12, 2022 10:24 AM

May 2022
Not really impressed with what I have seen so far. Feels like as generic of an isekai as you can get.
Oct 12, 2022 10:24 AM

Dec 2012
Seems like they're speed running the boring parts in the beginning of the LN, thank god for that

"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Oct 12, 2022 10:27 AM

Jul 2017
Regardless of how I feel about the content itself (which I'm not a fan of anyway), the pace felt way too fast and the delivery of some of the humor and twists felt really awkward here, especially with the Shadow Garden revealing that they know who are behind the kidnapping and just going on a little bit before the kidnapper was surprised about where and how they heard their name. I don't know, the flow of this episode felt weird and too quick I would say. The content is already really annoying besides that, but the flow does not feel cohesive in the first 2 episodes at least. The awkward-ish usage of timeskips don't help too much at least for this start.
Oct 12, 2022 10:32 AM
Dec 2021
Gave me chills watching all the story unfold.
Oct 12, 2022 10:44 AM
Dec 2010
The pace is too fast and the humor is much less than it should be. Why did these greedy assholes save 4 episodes when no one else does?

They completely missed the scene where a naked Sid runs into a truck screaming, or the scene with the "Protoganist" sign, while the main character is killing people with the crazy laugh of a psychopath. Heck, even the knife scene in the manga looks a lot more fun.

The people who stole 4 episodes from the 24 episode series are real freaks.

Oct 12, 2022 10:47 AM
Apr 2022
this good bro
i didn't expect at all
Oct 12, 2022 11:17 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Being reincarnated as the son of a baron isn't bad going at all after the last encounter with truck kun. Though that has to be the most forced cry i ever heard. Given Claire's talent sticking to a background character is a wise choice. But have to say Cid's slime weapon really makes him slightly OP. Bet he never expected the blob to be possessing someone else. Gaining Alpha was a boon for sure but its funny seeing him get caught up by her determination. Well we can see whos the real mistress of the house thats for sure. The combat abilities of the shadow garden aka Cid's harem squad is pretty impressive. But the fight against the viscount was pretty good. The ending for this ep sure was perplexing. But overall an interesting ep that featured a good balance of worldbuilding, char intros and action. Though i feel that the timeskips do cause some confusion though I hope will be explained in future ep's. I very much would want to know how he met the other girls. Side note its nice to see Rina Hidaka take more roles like Claire and branch out.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2022 11:26 AM

May 2021
The comedy, where is it?

Oct 12, 2022 11:34 AM
Jul 2020
to be able to develop a pre-time skip and build up for the next episode does give this show a sense of excitement for the next episode
Oct 12, 2022 11:36 AM
Sep 2022
Just have to say this first chapter was kinda interesting and this one is zzzz... The prot is just another Kirito for the time being.
Oct 12, 2022 11:42 AM

May 2022
There were a few lines that were kind of funny but that hasn’t really hit yet. I’ll wait to see how that develops. I was surprised that cid is a capable fighter. For some reason I thought he was going to be faking his way through the fights with having the rest of his squad doing all the dirty work. So that was good to see. It definitely has me interested in seeing more.
Oct 12, 2022 11:56 AM
Aug 2021
I'm a bit disappointed with how straight they're playing the comedy. I thought episodes 1 and 2 would be a bait and switch with the protag being more over the top than this, but it's fine. The humor is still there, but being an animated medium it's more subtle. tHe sound gags have been great. Translating a trash isekai parody into a passable anime is itself an accomplishment. Congrats.
Oct 12, 2022 12:31 PM

Sep 2019
better than ep 1. Way better. But i'm still confused.
So MC continues being a chuunibyou, being the embodiment of mediocre to the world and killing bandits in secret, but the tales he 'invents' are real ? Or at least some of them are and he himself doesn't even realize it ?
Wouldn't that mean though he isn't a chuunibyou in the classical sense anymore ? Just a stereotypical overpowered isekai MC fighting against some demon cult ?
I can see some comedic possibilities with that setup. Nice.
I'm not reading any replies or comments directed at me at all. I know my truth and if you disagree: that's fine but i couldn't give a damn about :)

Oct 12, 2022 12:33 PM
Aug 2018
Oct 12, 2022 12:36 PM
Dec 2020
It was underwhelming compared to the manga because a lot of information and great parts were omitted but it was still a great watch! I haven't read the light novel though so maybe it takes after that one more than the manga.
Feligamer2Oct 12, 2022 12:40 PM
Oct 12, 2022 12:38 PM

May 2015
Cid is what you get when you skip all the story and just go straight to the fights. Hilariously confused but still following the plot! Great episode.
Oct 12, 2022 12:38 PM
Mar 2018
PoisonedTea said:
2dbest said:
Didn't expect alpa is from something like that.
still didn't find the comedy. maybe just my expectations about the comedy is too high

No it wasn't really funny. The joke they were trying to make didn't hit.

It wasn't really meant to be funny but more just ridiculous
Oct 12, 2022 12:44 PM
Aug 2021
Yepp 🔥 can't wait for the next episode
Oct 12, 2022 12:47 PM

Nov 2017
Sasuga Shadow-sama blood, blood everywhere. didn't expect i gonna see Alpha past tho
Oct 12, 2022 12:50 PM

Jan 2017
I could probably binge watch the 20 episodes in a day, this is really entertaining stuff.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Oct 12, 2022 12:53 PM

Nov 2017
Sajonji said:
better than ep 1. Way better. But i'm still confused.
So MC continues being a chuunibyou, being the embodiment of mediocre to the world and killing bandits in secret, but the tales he 'invents' are real ? Or at least some of them are and he himself doesn't even realize it ?
Wouldn't that mean though he isn't a chuunibyou in the classical sense anymore ? Just a stereotypical overpowered isekai MC fighting against some demon cult ?
I can see some comedic possibilities with that setup. Nice.

Oct 12, 2022 12:54 PM

Sep 2018
A decent second episode with small inconsistencies with Light Novel.
Oct 12, 2022 12:55 PM

Feb 2019
And now we start with volume 1! Another great episode that shows how Cid recruited his first cult member lol. Starting with volume 3 was really a great decision because this episode would not have flowed well without seeing Cid’s life on earth and his motivations.

As for the ep itself, loved the sakuga during the end fight there, Cid coming up with an origin story for alpha was also hilarious lmao. Studio is doing a really good job so far and I hope it continues.
Oct 12, 2022 12:56 PM
Feb 2019
Satifying! Very satisfying!!
Oct 12, 2022 1:04 PM
Feb 2020
i love how he is getting so op
Oct 12, 2022 1:05 PM
Aug 2015
I liked the first episode but this one I didn't like as much.
I thought he was much more clever and serious, at least before he reincarnated.
But now he is just childish, it doesn't seem he knows what he is doing after all.
The girls suddenly appeared with little to no explanation...there is no foundation so I wasn't sold on the whole Shadow Garden at all.
He even made up this cult and it actually exists...? nonsense.
I hope they explain things later on and it is just a bad introduction.
Oct 12, 2022 1:08 PM
May 2020
WWWWWWW protagonist.
Oct 12, 2022 1:10 PM

Jan 2016
Glorious, just as I remember it being. Not as good as the LN/Manga but still enjoyable.

Seems like people still haven't understood that this is a parody and a comedy anime, but I guess comedy is subjective
Oct 12, 2022 1:47 PM

Feb 2021
A little bit too fast paced for my liking, though the show itself is kind of intriguing. A lot of characters were introduced including the shadow garden organisation, which they are all a part of. I haven't read the manga so I'm not familiar with the characters, unlike most people lol. Hoping to get more information about all the characters next episode.

Oct 12, 2022 1:51 PM
Jun 2015
I like how Cid just slice and dice that guy like his sister Claire, pretty cool! And why should they hire another female voice actor to play as young Cid? Idk cuz for me, it kinda sounds weird when he voiced a baby and as a kid like young Takumi from Delicious Party Precure. But these bandits were no match for the Shadow Garden!
KathlynMireiOct 12, 2022 1:54 PM
Oct 12, 2022 1:53 PM
Oct 2017
really good adaptation. im so happy
Oct 12, 2022 1:58 PM

Jun 2020
It has a very different feel from the manga, the main issue probably being that Cid is a lot more chill in the anime, while in the manga it's often written on his face how silly he actually is and how much fun he is having playing the edgelord role. The fights were really something though, and everyone else, like his wild sister, are mostly how they are in the manga. The slime stuff move in a different way than i thought, because my dumbass self reading the pages imagined the slime materializing as some menacing dark fog, even though slimes are supposed to be... Well, slimey.
The ending is ok, i guess they used all the budget for the opening and the actual episodes lol. At least we'll get some nice pics of the heroines in every episode it seems. Speaking of the girls, i hope that one kuudere of Shadow Garden that isn't in the manga gets plenty of quality screentime later on. This way even if they completely mess up the rest of the anime i'll be able to kill my brain cells to say "It wasn't that bad guys, it had a cute kuudere look!" and then post a pic of her and bail out of the thread.
Oct 12, 2022 2:09 PM

May 2016
I don't know if I really like that those "Chūnibyō" moments of the main character were sacrificed for this seriousness. The joke of all that was invented (about the cult and the curses and the heroes) is the way in which he expressed himself, his way of being and how the characters took him seriously because of the great power that the main character had. . I mean, it's fine and everything, but I don't know if I'm convinced. Anyway, let's see how the next chapters go, maybe when all the chapters are finished I can give an answer.
Oct 12, 2022 2:24 PM
Jul 2019
So far So good. Pretty nice episode. I personally liked it. Hope to see much better tho.
Oct 12, 2022 2:49 PM

Mar 2022
This is pretty much my kind of thing. Fast paced, serious, action, edgy...Still, only 2 episodes out of 20, I have to see how all of this unfolds. But, so far, I find this great.
Oct 12, 2022 2:50 PM
Feb 2022
so god like lets gooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 12, 2022 2:52 PM
Feb 2016
A lot of action in this second episode and its animation doesn't disappoint. Cids Chuni is definitly over 9000. Well done playing the role of a mob baby. But I hope the studio won't cut back to much on the comedy/parody aspect in future episodes as it is one of the strong points of the source material, wouldn't do the show much good otherwise. 8,5/10
Oct 12, 2022 3:13 PM

Oct 2018
I feel about this the same way I did for the first episode. I assume the LN isn't comedy(?) and the manga readers were saying it's a comedy expecting the anime to adapt the manga? Anyway, it's completely my fault for believing them.
Oct 12, 2022 3:17 PM

Sep 2018
This series has great comedic timing, very enjoyable start with a nice blend of action and comedy.
Oct 12, 2022 3:20 PM

Dec 2021
Damn, i prefer read manga after watch this, mc lost all his touch, he is not cringe, he is not edgy, he is also not funny at all, unlike manga, u can feel it how its cringe/edgy/funny but this one, he is way too serious end up bland for me. probably just read manga at this point
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2022

186 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

765 by BlaiseAuto »»
Sep 4, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2022

149 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2022

193 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2022

165 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 2:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.