Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 28, 2022 4:46 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Sawano delivers yet again another heart-pounding soundtrack. But man such good music deserves a far better story. Perhaps the story itself isn't fundamentally terrible, it's nothing special, but it will easily get the job done if executed properly. However, despite a seemingly stacked staff on the writing team, the characters and script-writing in general just fall flat to me. The only reason I felt some emotion from this is because of course, the score by Sawano; which, I must emphasize, really goes hard. The four-note motif that is the driving force of this movie was utilized quite a lot- but that's okay because we get variation after variation of it; it's never quite the same, and in fact subtly and slowly builds on itself until the climax. A good score elevates even a weak story, and that couldn't be more true in this case here. For myself who is easily swayed by music, I usually ask myself: "If you take out the music, is there anything left?" And the answer to that in the case of Bubble is.... no; not really. Just a bare-bones little-mermaid plot.

Quickly touching on the visuals, yes they indeed are quite impressive, but I liked the way Vivy looked more. Bubble feels over-saturated not only in terms of its bright colours, but also just SOMETIMES a LITTLE too much is on the screen. Too many bubbles or whatever... fuck I sound like IGN. This is just a nitpick though, don't mind it. Otherwise, they really fully utilize having 3D backgrounds to simulate the dramatic 3D camera movements, something we've seen a lot of before (particularly AOT with the 3D maneuver gear scenes, and ufotable utilizes this a lot as well of course), but I don't think not as much to this extent. This made the parkour scenes really cool indeed... and yeah that's pretty much it.

I was just hoping for an amazing story paired with this amazing soundtrack- like 86 was. But in this case, while the story and characters were there, they felt as weak and insignificant as, well, bubbles. Sigh. Well I hope that most of you enjoyed it more than I did at least.

Not give you some cringe, but I'd rather have an average-looking house with a strong foundation, than a beautiful mansion with a weak foundation.

4/10

edit: You know what, maybe I expected too much from this. Perhaps my own expectations were too lofty, unrealistic even. I went back and re-watched a few scenes, mainly the ones toward the end, with a mindset free from any expectations. And... my opinion has already improved by doing so. I'll change it to a 5/10, I think that's fair. I'll revisit this again in the future, where perhaps I will rate it higher yet.
BetaMaleUltraApr 28, 2022 5:09 PM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 28, 2022 5:06 PM

Oct 2019
ryoko6 said:
this was just like demon slayer...iykwim

but Demon slayer still have higher score. this one not even close to 8/10
Apr 28, 2022 5:11 PM
Dec 2019
That was epic. The animation was amazing and I love the art style. It was a pretty good movie in my opinion. The parkour was cool.
Apr 28, 2022 5:20 PM
Nov 2020
Man fell in love with a bubble lol. I don't blame him, who wouldn't want to know how water's ๐Ÿฑ feels like? Overall had a nice time watching this.
"I can't trust a website where csm is rated higher than hxh"
- Akira Toriyama

Apr 28, 2022 5:22 PM

Jan 2020
i got 3 orgasms while watching this animation, Sawano's osts are on high level, wanna add some of them in my playlist

9/10
Apr 28, 2022 6:01 PM

Jun 2021
What is the genre of this anime?
Apr 28, 2022 6:42 PM
Aug 2019
Not sure why I did a review-like post. I guess I just saw that others were doing it and decided to join in myself ๐Ÿ˜….

It’s not the best, but it’s not bad. A little bit more work needed to go into the storyboards.

I would have also preferred if they polished the art a bit more. I love the frames where they emphasize the lighting in character close-ups. But overall, it isn’t as clean as what I’ve come to expect in anime movies.

The music is a bit off at times too. Idk if I would want Sawano working on a movie like this. His style is way more suited to the action-packed stuff, and he doesn’t seem to adapt from that style extremely well. It’s well enough, I just couldn’t help but hear Attack on Titan in there a number of times lol.

Parkour was cool though. It’s not something I’ve seen often. I love the setting for that reason. Stylistically, it works really well with parkour. And the bubbles are pretty lol.
ghierApr 28, 2022 6:46 PM
Apr 28, 2022 7:23 PM

Feb 2021
NGL idk what i watched but the animation and music were stunning 7/10.

"๐˜๐˜ฆ๐˜บ, ๐˜๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ช... ๐˜•๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ถ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ธ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜ต ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ, ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ด๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ข ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฆ."
โป๐˜•๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ข ๐˜–๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ฌ๐˜ช
Apr 28, 2022 9:26 PM
Jun 2016
Absolutely stunning visuals and animation as expected from WIT and Tetsuro Araki with amazing OST from Sawano as well.

Very lackluster story and characters as expected from Gen Urobuchi since he hasn't made anything good these past few years.

Still worth a watch for eye candy. Overall 8/10
Apr 28, 2022 10:22 PM

Aug 2018
"Bubble"
I just saw it AND I LOVED IT!!! <3!!!
The movie is great. THE ANIMATION IS INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL!!!! The soundtrack is great, the characters fall very well, Uta is beautiful.
I liked this movie a lot.

Apr 28, 2022 11:04 PM

Jan 2022
It was just another anime with great animation but crappy plot. The parkour concept and view angles were pretty good tho.
5/10 for me

๐™’๐™๐™ž๐™ฅ๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™ฎ ๐™’๐™๐™ค๐™ค๐™ฅ
๐˜ฟ๐™ค๐™ค๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™ฎ ๐™Ž๐™˜๐™ค๐™ค๐™ฅโŸ ๐˜พ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฅ ๐™™๐™š ๐™‡๐™ค๐™ค๐™ฅ ๐™™๐™š
๐™’๐™ค๐™ค๐™ฅ ๐˜ฟ๐™ค๐™ค๐™ฅ

[center]
Apr 28, 2022 11:25 PM

Jun 2021
Eve’s voice fit’s so well with the animation.
Apr 29, 2022 12:38 AM
Oct 2017
That's so unsatisfying.

- Nothing is explained.
- There are numerous discrepancies.
- Characters are cardboard cutouts, don't talk anything like a person would and don't even ask even the most basic questions or anything that doesn't make you suspect them of being blind.
- Repeating Little Mermaid lines and summary over and over doesn't make the narrative good.
- tone-deaf expositions that don't even do a good job at explaining and only explain things that can just not be explained or easily done via more subtle dialogues, eg. the rules of the parkour battle at the beginning.
- The designs of the world have so many flaws, high heels for parkour? Impractical Saint Seiya/Naruto run that takes out any bits of realism about the parkour scenes. Even for something as basic as the scene when Uta sneaked into Hibiki's room the lighting is completely wrong. There's no door near his head and the door's in the direction of his feet. They established that for some reason Hibiki's the only one who turns her into bubbles when touched. She kissed him and yet her mouth didn't turn into bubbles just so she could talk their parting words.
- Nice animation at times but also unpolished.
- Everyone ignoring her missing arm including Hibiki until it's in his face just leaves bad taste all throughout their supposed touching scenes that followed.
- Everyone conveniently just ignored uta when she was the one who got them the flag and just swarmed Hibiki, what was that?
NielloApr 29, 2022 12:51 AM
Apr 29, 2022 1:38 AM

Feb 2022
will rate animation, music 4.5/5
but story is average
Apr 29, 2022 2:32 AM

Apr 2015
That was an eye candy of a movie. Music was top notch. Story was okay. Uta really reminds me of Mumei from Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. Not like personality wise but expressions and movements.
Visual 10/10
Music 9/10
Story 6/10
Overall 8/10
AzuriteZApr 29, 2022 3:46 AM
Apr 29, 2022 2:59 AM
Sep 2021
yep, another "only" good animation movie

we could expects something like this, good animation, good soundtrack and a very colorful world
otherwise, story is really average, many things aren't explained, the development of characters its meh, conclusion was predictable ...

so, for passing time it's OK, but nothing else
(hopefully Netflix and other companies continue bringing us more anime films)
Apr 29, 2022 3:14 AM
Apr 2022
This whole movie was just so cinematically perfect
Apr 29, 2022 3:31 AM
Jan 2021
Why does anime romance movies always have to have someone disappearing. Just let there be a complete happy ending for once, bruh. 7/10
Apr 29, 2022 5:04 AM

Dec 2015
It's definitely one of those movies where after just some minutes you realize to yourself "Fuck, I'm wasting time of my life". Story by itself is a 5/10, maybe even 4/10, but with Wit Studio and Sawano on the equation, I'll give it a 6/10. If I can make you translate what will you feel here, same disappointment you felt with Kanaberi, you will feel here.
BetterTasteMay 5, 2022 9:54 AM
Apr 29, 2022 5:27 AM
May 2019
Some may be confused as to the purpose of this story. It is an anagram for reality. That is all.
Apr 29, 2022 6:11 AM

Apr 2019
is it just me or does the osts have a similar vibe to the ones from nier automata? like sheesh man the op and the osts carry this movie so much they're breathtaking
Apr 29, 2022 6:34 AM
Aug 2020
is this movie like fireworks where mv was so good but movie has no feel in it
Apr 29, 2022 6:54 AM
Jul 2013
Damn, what a budget, you can basically screenshoot anything and it will become a great wallpaper
Apr 29, 2022 9:25 AM

Nov 2007
KANLen09 said:
Tenji no Ko
Tenki no Ko, not Tenji no ko. Tenki (ๅคฉๆฐ—) means weather.

------
It was an ok science-fiction anime where bubbles and humans shouldn't have physical interaction and red represents anger. Singing is connection between the bubble who took the form of the idol which the poster posted on the train underwater and the boy w. noise problem. That dangerous marathon is interesting. At least meeting bubble girl changed the life of the main boy.

It was just revealing what the world is happening in the form of science-fiction anime.
tsubasaloverApr 29, 2022 9:30 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 29, 2022 11:57 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Yeah, looked great, sounded great, story and characters were ok at best. Still an overall enjoyable watch in general but nothing mindblowing. Giving this a solid 7/10.
DatRandomDudeApr 29, 2022 12:08 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 29, 2022 12:11 PM

May 2017
ahh.. I really loved the initial premise and its concept. the "post apocalypse" world, the parkour, the competitive teams battling for everyday items.

I don't feel like going into much detail, I'll just say this..

The movie delivered (as expected of the staff) when it comes to the direction, animation and music. The story and its characters however were quite uncompelling. Like I mentioned above, I really liked the concept of it all, but it drifted apart way too heavily. it tried too hard to build something "deep" in such a short amount of time, story beats felt rushed, leading to no connection to the characters whatsoever. A shame really. If they would have just stood with the more simplified approach and stuck to the parkour focused "survival" themes it could have been much better imo.

Apr 29, 2022 12:43 PM

Apr 2013
It looked and sounded good I guess?

Urobutcher's writing is just not worth getting excited for anymore. What a fall from grace.

5/10
Apr 29, 2022 1:17 PM

Sep 2020
KneelBeforeMe said:
It looked and sounded good I guess?

Urobutcher's writing is just not worth getting excited for anymore. What a fall from grace.

5/10
Yaa everyone in this anime gave their 100% except Gen Urobuchi, he is the only reason bubble ended up being Mid.
Apr 29, 2022 3:34 PM
May 2021
The movie soundtrack was defo insane! Fluctuating from a 7/8 but it would have been a 8 if the romance wasn’t forced & the story was ok overall but the soundtrack made the movie for moi.
Apr 29, 2022 4:20 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
This is the first time I have ever given something with this sort of production quality a 7, the story alone would probably be a 2 at best and the characters are a 4 or so. I cannot believe such amazing production was wasted on this series. They clearly wanted to do so much with this concept but it would have been better if it were just an urban competition without all this supernatural stuff.
Apr 29, 2022 6:13 PM
Nov 2021
this movie wasn't good. Plain and simple it just wasn't good. It was just pretty that's it.
Apr 29, 2022 10:15 PM
Dec 2018
The movie really left me pleased by what saw visually and heard sonically. But so so confused by its plot line, it feels like everything happens because it just needed to. So now Im left in this weird space of not knowing how to really feel about this movie.
Apr 29, 2022 10:45 PM

Apr 2020
I knew how is was gonna end, but I still wasn't prepared lol
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Apr 30, 2022 1:09 AM

Jun 2019
Expected too much, never should have done that

also, the movie spoiled the whole plot in the beginning lol
Apr 30, 2022 2:18 AM
Jan 2022
It’s a feast for the eyes and ears, but as the others here have pointed out, the romance part of it feels forced. I have a feeling that if this was a series instead, they would have a lot more time to develop the characters and lore - the world of Bubble is fascinating as it is already, it’s that the people who inhabit it needed more substance.

In the end, I gave it an 8, though that’s one made with reservations. As my own scoring system goes; when an original show largely pleases me, I tend to add a +1. However, if it’s terrible and made me really regret seeing in it in the first place (like Tokyo 24th Ward), I knock the original score by -1 or even -2. My way of evaluating anime is a double-edged sword for original IPs.

Still, if you watch Bubble, its visuals and sound design will blow you away, but its story will leave you rather shortchanged.
Apr 30, 2022 7:41 AM
Jun 2020
I already watched it on Netflix and it is Top 10 in the movie section in my country (something very rare for an Anime movie)

In general it's remarkable that the production has great level, but the script seemed to me very simple and rather than connect with the characters, they were indifferent to me.

I feel it was a waste, but well, at least visually it gave me a spectacle.

7/10 for the visual spectacle.
Apr 30, 2022 8:26 AM

Feb 2014
Great all star casting and the makings of Sawano OST plus the Urobutcher script. Could have been much better with the TV anime format to cover up the whole scifi scenario but well this was a great watch. Gave the feelings of Guilty Crown meets Tenki no Ko. Anime movie these days are taking the fairy tales to the next gen. First it was Belle and now Bubble. What's next?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Apr 30, 2022 8:42 AM

Oct 2008
This is one of those movies that should have been screened and enjoyed in cinemas.
Apr 30, 2022 9:23 AM

Jul 2019
It was not bad at all, i admit i only watched this movie because Araki was the director (he did not disappoint), i went with low expectations but surprisingly it was pretty enjoyable. The top reviews sums up my feelings about it.

7.5/10, Araki needs to return to AoT or just direct another series with a much better script, this dude is just so talented.
Apr 30, 2022 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
Feel like this would be a good prequel to a series
Apr 30, 2022 11:07 AM

May 2021
So I just viewed a romance between a guy with a hyper-sensitivity to audio and ... a bubble. A bunch of bubbles, to be precise.

The visuals and audio were amazing, as was the 3-D cinematography. Leave it to WIT to make Parkour so amazing.

As for the plot, really lacking. The romance was completely devoid of substance and the lore revolving bubbles was just left as it is. Even the characters didn't receive enough focus for how much screen time they got.

This is something you call mid, or bottom mid, to be precise.

Apr 30, 2022 2:44 PM

Feb 2015
the visuals were outstanding along with the soundtrack. the film has some pacing issues and doesn't delve ok to the bubble phenomenon enough even though it's a col concept.

characters development also seemed rushed for some reason. I'm glad I watched this but the end of Ng was mediocre at best.
Apr 30, 2022 3:42 PM
Dec 2021
Tyrel said:
Good visuals, good ost... Yeah, that's what it has going for it.

Does anyone know the name of the soundtrack for 54:50 onward? When they keep repeating "Bubble, bubble, bubble". I know it ain't the OP...

I read somewhere that it's called UTAtoHIBIKI but not 100% sure. The OST is releasing in the 11th of May. Personally can't wait for it!
Apr 30, 2022 10:46 PM

Feb 2015
the animation and soundtrack were fantastic however the story was weak along with the character development. copying the little mermaid in terms of outcome was disappointing. It felt that too much was left unexplained. I thought the concept was great but I expected more.

7/10
Apr 30, 2022 11:51 PM

May 2015
It started really weak and continued like that for the first 40% of the movie. Then the sakuga, OST and writing took off, you could smell the budget burning.

Before watching it, I was 90% sure that it would be a disappointment and 10% that it would be a masterpiece.
It was neither of those. It was just good. Like a Makoto Shinkai movie without good writing from the get go.
May 1, 2022 3:03 AM
May 2019
I don't know how to feel about this movie
May 1, 2022 4:02 AM
Jul 2018
Damn, what a disappointment.

Talking about audio and visuals, it's no doubt that the movie is absolute top-notch. Hiroyuki Sawano and Tetsuro Araki did a wonderful job. That's veterans for you. But about the story..

This movie is a forgettable experience for me. Seriously, with such godly production if only the story was this level. It would've been easy 10/10 experience.

6/10.
May 1, 2022 8:05 AM
Nov 2020
Really, really loved Obata-sensei's character design! The plot is very predictable and, at times, not very detailed but, thanks to cd, music and animation, the movie is enjoyable. There were also a lot of much loved seyuu among the cast :)
May 1, 2022 8:25 AM
Mar 2010
As much as I loved the aesthetics of this movie or ona. Plot was very predictable. Because of this when "big moments" happened, I felt zero emotions. And not only because this is a modern mermaid tale. I think seen few at least anime movies with more or less with story setup like this one.
May 1, 2022 10:31 AM

Jun 2014
This was jaw-droppingly stunning holy crap. One of the best original anime I've seen in a very long time. Anime of the year contender for me for sure.

Just a fun, creative and action packed anime with a truly beautiful art direction and vision behind it. The OST was incredible as well.

9/10
alpha_shadowMay 11, 2022 1:22 PM
:3
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why spend so much time, resource to animate such generic story!? ( 1 2 )

Sandro8604 - May 24, 2022

63 by Jonas-K »»
Nov 28, 2023 10:24 AM

» That's crazy ('spoilerโ€“ish)

jussypuicey - Sep 12, 2023

7 by Jonas-K »»
Nov 28, 2023 10:21 AM

» Impressed with Wit Studio here, what a gem of animation

Rob7 - Mar 11, 2023

13 by IceCreamScene »»
Mar 14, 2023 9:39 AM

» So, this is basically a light version of "The Song of Saya".

antohachan - May 20, 2022

11 by Adnash »»
Jan 7, 2023 6:43 PM

» What's up with the score?

FreshSalmon827 - May 6, 2022

26 by Leonhart93 »»
Oct 17, 2022 4:39 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.