Forum Settings
Forums

If all dubs are cringe, would that apply to Japanese dubs of western cartoons as well?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 12, 2022 8:12 PM

Jun 2019
chronofantasy said:
You must have not watched any English dubs since the early 2000s or prior to that because there's plenty of dubbed anime with just as much emotion as some of the Japanese dubs but at least you can understand it and the voice sounds good. English dubs have improved so much over recent years, but people tend to think it's still something like the early days when dubbing was actually bad and too cartoony.

I didn't even start watching anime at all until September of 2016. It's just something I notice and that spoils and interferes with my enjoyment of a series or film with all dubbing, new or old, and not just in anime or Japanese, but just all languages. I'm very sensitive to certain things and English language acting and voice acting I consider noticeably poor or incongruent in some way with what's onscreen is one of them and just stands out to me like a sore thumb.

To me, it's like the difference between a delectable rare steak dinner with garlic mashed potatoes on the side versus someone urinating on my steak, pouring a pound of sawdust shavings where the potatoes should be, and calling it a day.

chronofantasy said:
If you're focused on it sounding good to you and not understanding then you're in that category where it just sounds cool to you no matter how good or bad it sounds to a native Japanese.

Yeah - I don't see why this matters at all though or why it would be considered somehow a bad thing? Spoken dialogue is part of audio. How it sounds absolutely matters and is a substantial part of it, every bit as much as how the music of the OST and ambient background noise from the series' sound design sounds. It's all sounds. I want it to sound a way I consider enjoyable and pleasurable in line what what I'm seeing and thinking while I'm watching.

chronofantasy said:
The only thing that matters is how you listen to a certain anime first because then listening to it in another language takes a bit to get used to when you're used to listening it. But honestly it doesn't matter which version you initially watch in.

I agree that whichever language someone first watches something in - especially if they like what they are watching and manage to become invested in and attached to it, will generally be the language they prefer for it going forward. I just never get to that point, because I hate English dubbed content so no mental or emotional connection can even begin to form in the first place in my case.

chronofantasy said:
I always watch in English dubs if I can find that available first, but if there's none then I'll settle with Japanese dubs, especially if it's new and not dubbed in English yet.

In my own case, if there's only English dubs available, which is a rarity but has happened (for series that are not fully subbed or subbed at all, at least in an available form), I just choose not to watch the series in question until when/if it's ever subbed. I can't handle dubs.

chronofantasy said:
So I've seen half and half of both English and Japanese and I find my enjoyment and focus is so much better when watching it in English because that's my native language and I'm getting a fuller experience.

Yup, I've seen a lot of people say this and I don't doubt or deny that this is your experience, but I am also a native English speaker and mine is 100% diametric opposite. It's because it's my native language being so poorly done in a place it shouldn't be that cripples and impoverishes my experience to the bone and removes me from the world and story immediately. I hear enough bad English from living people in the 3D world every single day.

chronofantasy said:
I guess everyone is different though.

This is the heart of the matter, yes.

ColourWheel said:
@WatchTillTandava

If you really appreciate the Japanese language that much when it comes to Anime I would recommend you learning it so you can understand it without having the need of up to a quarter of your screen being filled most of the time with loosely translated dialog that can distract from watching the actual animation. On average it only takes about 7 years to learn it fluently and if you are already accustomed to watching a lot of Anime with subs it could take half that amount of time.

I have been fortunate enough to have been married to a Japanese woman for almost two decades now which is how I have come to understand the language better. My perspective about Anime subs and dubs have evolved because of this. This is on top of understanding the industry better due to being able to read up about it on the internet for the past 25 years. I have come to the point in my life where I either watch Anime Dubbed in English or watch it in RAW form without subtitles because of this.

Ironically I was actually more of a Japanophile long before ever first getting into anime which didn't come in my case until several years later.

I've considered it, but have in the recent past, currently, and for the foreseeable future some other priorities I'm more dedicated to. I also, as mentioned, am just a native language in all cases always type of guy - it's not exclusive to Japanese or anime. I just want to hear the original sound put into a series or film by those who created it, and that sound includes the spoken word of monologues and dialogue.

Also, I don't know how many others who watch anime in Japanese audio and English subtitles or other foreign language content feel the same way or if it's a sentiment which has been regularly expressed here, but I actually enjoy reading subtitles and find it tends to help foster rather than hinder my immersion because I'm kept concentrating and can't get distracted for a second. I'm a very verbal person and verbal learner, so reading words/text is never a chore or bother to me.
WatchTillTandavaFeb 12, 2022 8:24 PM
Feb 12, 2022 8:23 PM

Mar 2020
Dubs are always horrible and awkward. I know some may say that there are SOME that is good but that is just SOME yeah just FEW but most of it are always awkward or horrible.

For me I loved Japanese animation. Yeah I love Japanese shows so of course I'll watch it in its original audio which is Japanese. Cause I love Japan. Just sharing. Hehe
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Feb 13, 2022 1:51 AM
Jul 2019
Not all dubs are cringe imo, just majority of dubbed anime is pretty sucks. The old Indonesian dub (my native language) of spongebob, doraemon, crayon shinchan, and many other old childhood anime are quite good and enjoyable. Sometimes it's even funnier than the original. I've seen some clips of Japanese dubbed spongebob and the amazing world of gumball and it's pretty good imo.
Feb 13, 2022 2:14 AM

Jun 2016
Whoever says that most dubs are cringe are cringe themselves, first of all not everyone got time to read subtitles and watch anime at the same time so its perfectly fine with dubs and whoever chose that way its ok for them and as a mature person just accept that decision as saying "eww dubs" means you are the "eww" and need to get out more.

Japanese sounds goods and made sense with exaggeration scenes but not the dubs but we can't get everything perfectly and same applies to western shows as much as english is good with western shows as when they are dubbed in japanese its kinda weird but perfectly fine to watch that way as no one dictates what you want or not.
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.
Feb 13, 2022 2:20 AM

Aug 2020
Dunno, never listened to one.

Also, I don't think all dubs are cringe (although most are)

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Feb 13, 2022 2:55 AM

Aug 2013
I'd never watch anything dubbed, so it applies to Japanese dubs as well.
For example, I don't like German language, but I'd watch German movie or play German game with its original voices anyway, because this is how it was created originally.
MFDOOMED said:
Dubs as a rule are "horrible." That has nothing to do with being an elitist. It's just the majority opinion that people taking their culture and fitting it to another country's brand of storytelling is going to be inferior from a voice acting perspective.

Or to make it really, really simple. All pizza is not good pizza. Subs in the original language is the quality pizza. Dubs in your primary language (if different from the writers language) is cheap cafeteria pizza from your childhood. If you love your cheap cafeteria pizza, go enjoy it. The rest of us will eat pizza the way it's meant to be eaten.

Perfect.
rsc-plFeb 13, 2022 3:01 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 13, 2022 3:08 AM

Jun 2020

He completely fucked up the ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh
Feb 13, 2022 3:18 AM

Feb 2020
Usually the quality of voice actor/actress and perfect casting for the role is what elevates dubs above subs. But the dialogues itself still sound better is sub by default.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Feb 13, 2022 3:28 AM

Jan 2021
Yaboyblunty said:
I don't fully agree with your statement but yes
Dubs are usually like that
Hiakyuu Dub is gold tho ..............................................
Feb 13, 2022 3:29 AM

Feb 2020
Idk about cringe, I just always go with the original language, other people have other priorities. Watching something dubbed in a foreign language even though it was produced in a language you understand is definitely something I would deem cringe though.
Feb 13, 2022 3:45 AM

Jul 2020
There you got your answer. Mods you can delete this thread now.

ecstaticvanilla said:
Yaboyblunty said:

Fully, agree. The comedy fits so well in the dub. If not, even better than sub.
ScordoloFeb 13, 2022 3:49 AM

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Feb 13, 2022 6:17 AM
Jul 2018
ecstaticvanilla said:
Yaboyblunty said:

There are exceptions of course
But I come from a land of 4 billion languages and let's just say that you do NOT get used to dubs
Feb 13, 2022 9:11 AM
Nov 2020
Scordolo said:
There you got your answer. Mods you can delete this thread now.

I don't make these threads for answers. If i did, i'd be asking you to help me find this anime or something like that.
Feb 13, 2022 9:59 AM
Jan 2018
ColourWheel said:
MFDOOMED said:
I can't speak for other users, but I grew up on dubbed anime. I appreciate what it did for anime in the USA. But when I learned about how you could watch it the way it was intended, there was no going back. If you also add in the rampant censoring from back in the day, it was a pretty easy choice.

Here is the thing, Anime was never "intended" to be watched subbed to begin with either. I don't know the extent of MAL users understanding of the Japanese language but even subbed Anime gets lost in translation at times. Which makes me laugh when I see users online nit picking about how "superior" subbed Anime is compared to dubbed. Because ultimately both are subpar in comparison to simply watching Anime in Raw form given you don't have at most a quarter of your screen being filled with translated dialog.

Ultimately all anime is dubbed because this medium is fictional animation that later adds voices to the characters.

For me I will watch English dubbed when I can find it available and sometimes I will watch it RAW. It all depends on if I find a characters voice annoying to listen to or not which makes me choose which versions to watch. Just in my opinion but I feel English dub has gotten a lot better over the years and a majority of titles I have watched dubbed were more satisfying to watch over RAW. Which could explain why the western dub industry has exponentially expanded and why we are seeing more titles each year getting the English dubbed treatment.

I read some of your other comments and it sounds like the both of us agree that the best possible way to experience a story is in it's intended language. You make a great point about translation liberties and how it is inferior to the actual thing. I agree with you. But I can't speak or read Japanese. So as imperfect as it is, I will almost always take the JP dub over the English dub.

I don't understand the argument that English dubs have gotten better. I hear the sentiment from time to time, but I don't actually HEAR the improvement in the anime. I choose the Vision of Escaflowne for example. The blu rays have the old ENG dub, the new ENG dub and the JP dub. I prefer the JP dub, but the old ENG dub is pretty great in my opinion. I tried to like the new ENG dub, but in the end, I really hate it.

We both share the intention of experiencing a story in the orginal language if it is possible. You just are on a whole nother level than me, being able to speak and read JP. Hats off to you.

I prefer some of the better ENG dubs from back in the day that tried to match western style voice acting cues to anime to create something different to inferior (IMO)
English approximations. Like G Gundam. There is a thing in acting about making a role your own instead of trying to copy a template. I think a lot of the old ENG dubs did that, for better or worse.

As far as your arguments about ENG dub being a major reason why anime became more mainstream, anyone who has been a fan of something has to deal with all the positives and negatives that a flood of casuals bring. Everyone looks at it from their own individual perspective.

BTW, feel free to recommend anime with "worthwhile" ENG dubs. I would love to see if there any new ones worth watching.
Feb 13, 2022 12:56 PM

Mar 2021
MFDOOMED said:
ColourWheel said:

Here is the thing, Anime was never "intended" to be watched subbed to begin with either. I don't know the extent of MAL users understanding of the Japanese language but even subbed Anime gets lost in translation at times. Which makes me laugh when I see users online nit picking about how "superior" subbed Anime is compared to dubbed. Because ultimately both are subpar in comparison to simply watching Anime in Raw form given you don't have at most a quarter of your screen being filled with translated dialog.

Ultimately all anime is dubbed because this medium is fictional animation that later adds voices to the characters.

For me I will watch English dubbed when I can find it available and sometimes I will watch it RAW. It all depends on if I find a characters voice annoying to listen to or not which makes me choose which versions to watch. Just in my opinion but I feel English dub has gotten a lot better over the years and a majority of titles I have watched dubbed were more satisfying to watch over RAW. Which could explain why the western dub industry has exponentially expanded and why we are seeing more titles each year getting the English dubbed treatment.

I read some of your other comments and it sounds like the both of us agree that the best possible way to experience a story is in it's intended language. You make a great point about translation liberties and how it is inferior to the actual thing. I agree with you. But I can't speak or read Japanese. So as imperfect as it is, I will almost always take the JP dub over the English dub.

I don't understand the argument that English dubs have gotten better. I hear the sentiment from time to time, but I don't actually HEAR the improvement in the anime. I choose the Vision of Escaflowne for example. The blu rays have the old ENG dub, the new ENG dub and the JP dub. I prefer the JP dub, but the old ENG dub is pretty great in my opinion. I tried to like the new ENG dub, but in the end, I really hate it.

We both share the intention of experiencing a story in the orginal language if it is possible. You just are on a whole nother level than me, being able to speak and read JP. Hats off to you.

I prefer some of the better ENG dubs from back in the day that tried to match western style voice acting cues to anime to create something different to inferior (IMO)
English approximations. Like G Gundam. There is a thing in acting about making a role your own instead of trying to copy a template. I think a lot of the old ENG dubs did that, for better or worse.

As far as your arguments about ENG dub being a major reason why anime became more mainstream, anyone who has been a fan of something has to deal with all the positives and negatives that a flood of casuals bring. Everyone looks at it from their own individual perspective.

BTW, feel free to recommend anime with "worthwhile" ENG dubs. I would love to see if there any new ones worth watching.

Here is the thing the Japanese language is very complex. Although I can speak and mostly understand the language, it's completely a different story when it comes to actually trying to read anything in Japanese. I am a unique case where I been married to a woman from Japan for almost 2 decades where I have learned to understand it spoken just from living with her all these years.

Typically any modern Anime is in either two different dialogs either the the Tokyo dialect or Ibaraki dialect. You can think of this as a nation having different accents that are extremely strong to the point where it can almost be hard to even understand what someone is saying even when they are speaking in the same language. They will use different terms and slang that can be unrecognizable from traditional teachings.

Now Japan has different forms of writing too, Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji. Kanji is the most traditional form of writing used and it is closely related to Chinese Hanzi. Kanji is so complex I personally don't understand it nor can I read it. But what "Kanji" lacks is modern words and phrases outside of it's understanding and this is where you get Hiragana and Katakana.

If you have ever watched the "Matrix" movies the Matrix code is in "katakana" which to me can be described as like a watered down version of Kanji more commonly used because there is no way to write specific things in Kanji so they made up a like a new alphabet to represent modern phrases and words that are not only completely alien to traditional Japanese but impossible to represent in Kanji.

It can get even more complex than this too because then you have to start using it in practice where even someone like me who can understand the spoken language will only be able to read the most simplest of phrases which makes it irrelevant.

So if I do watch Anime Dubbed in Japanese I will likely try to turn on Subtitles just for signs and written dialog if available because I can't read it.

As for recommending any specific English dub titles it gets tricky. If you have already become accustomed to a specific voice acting cast, it won't be easy to accept re-watching something again with a different voice cast. Mostly I end up watching English dubs over the RAW form for convenience, since even though I understand the Japanese language enough fluently to enjoy it in it's RAW form I will still at times not always understand everything being spoken. As a guess around 96% of the time I understand enough to not get lost in a story being told with Japanese voice actors. This drastically decreases to about 50% when trying to watch live action Japanese films which is a completely different animal to explore which I won't get into.

I mostly enjoy watching almost all Anime Fantasy titles I get my hands on that are dubbed in English. Next time I get a chance I will PM you and give you some recommendations on modern dubs that you haven't already watched before.

Over all it really comes down to what people enjoy the most. Each to their own how they wish to enjoy their anime.
ColourWheelFeb 13, 2022 1:05 PM
Feb 14, 2022 5:51 PM

Jul 2019
I've heard recently that there's actually a sizeable Japanese fanbase for King of the Hill to where they've actually had subbed vs. dubbed arguments. It was only dubbed for like the first season and the rest were subbed.
Feb 14, 2022 6:28 PM

Oct 2016
As a latin american I am fond of dubs made here for anime in terms of acting and casts (specially if they are made in Mexico or Chile), sometimes I even prefer them over the originals, BUT they used to either change or censor the dialogues so I moved on to watch most stuff on their original language around 2011 I believe.

Thus I don't believe that all dubs are cringe, I've heard Cowboy Bebop, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and Black Lagoon on english and they were good, specially the last two.

As for cartoons on japanese, I've seen clips of RWBY and Avatar and they were alright, I've watched clips of The Simpsons, the series was alright though I didn't like the adaptations of the dialogues, the cast in the movie sucked.

And then there was stuff which I preferred on either japanese or latin american than the original english, such as the Pacific Rim cartoonime (the english cast seemed kinda new at it), Castlevania (as a non english speaker I couldn't understand a thing with their accents) and Dota: Dragon Blood (by now I'm more used to the intensity of latin american and japanese dubs so the original english voice acting felt like it was lacking emotion to me).

Now live actions dubbed in japanese, now those are bad, at least the clips I've seen.
Feb 14, 2022 6:32 PM

Feb 2021
OP you have been misinformed that all dubs are cringe
Feb 14, 2022 6:33 PM

May 2020
Nah, Japanese dubs of English things I like would probably suck. I seriously can't imagine anime voices over something like Avatar being any good. Then again, I guess it depends on how much I care about the thing being dubbed. I would take the dub of a good show over the original of a crappy show any day.
Feb 14, 2022 7:15 PM

Jun 2017
Not all dubs are bad but most have an English accent that doesn't sound normal. I am not an English speaker and even I can tell if it is a native English movie or an anime dub by listening to the audio alone. I am not sure exactly what they do wrong but it is like every bad anime dub is done by the same team with the same out of place accent.

And obviously it goes both ways. Japanese people can't pronounce English well.
Feb 14, 2022 7:31 PM

Feb 2021
No, I don't think so. I mean just look at this. This sounds so fucking badass!

Even the soundtrack slaps

Feb 14, 2022 7:32 PM
Nov 2020
Mantron said:
OP you have been misinformed that all dubs are cringe

I wouldn't say I'm misinformed. Why? Because that's the largely agreed upon notion here on these forums, and pretty much anywhere else you can think of. Of course, we have the minority who would disagree with that same notion, but with this thread, it's really the majority who I want to address, if that wasn't already made clear. And it doesn't help that so far on this thread, all I've seen are people commenting on how great the Cowboy Bebop dub is, which is nice and all, but doesn't really help when you're trying to convince someone that not all dubs are cringe.

I watched One Piece dubbed until there were no more dubs left available, then moved on to sub. Since then, I haven't touched dubs not once. Not because I think they're bad (apparently the One Piece dub is one of the worse, and I never had any problem with it. Maybe I'm tone deaf?), but because they're usually always behind the sub.
Feb 14, 2022 7:34 PM

Aug 2012
I'm not a fan of dubs, but certain series are better in dubs. Such as Ghost Stories (the English dub is the ONLY way to watch the series as the Japanese dub is so boring it's like watching paint dry... the dub is basically on official abridged anime. They tossed out the script and basically said whatever the hell they wanted. It's damn funny) also the dub for Black Clover is the best way to watch the series because Asta's Japanese VA is so damn annoying with his screeches it's like listening to nails on a friggin' chalk board! It's painful!)

In the case of western cartoons... I think it's like the case of anime where most of the time the original is better because some things when dubbed into another language just come off as incredibly cringy. But, of course, like anime, there are certain exceptions where the dub may be better than the original, though it's rare, imo.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - 7 hours ago

23 by velveteenvamp »»
22 seconds ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

79 by Klaudixia »»
5 minutes ago

» Let's create an AD Community Interest Stack ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

102 by Shizuna »»
11 minutes ago

» Say, how does an anime look like on an HD CRT television from the early to mid 2000's or a rear projection TV manufactured around the same time period?

MaximumHolder500 - 6 hours ago

3 by alshu »»
13 minutes ago

» How do y'all watch such long series? ( 1 2 )

erikkamirs - Feb 19, 2022

84 by iirayuki »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.