Forum Settings
Forums

How is Japan, Objectively, Not the Best Country in the World?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 10, 2019 3:20 PM

Jul 2012
Ryuk9428 said:
GamerDLM said:

They're not the same thing at all, belligerent is a much more specific context and could even be more specific if you choose to focus on the aggressor. For example if I choose to say in that conflict Spain was involved in that they weren't the aggressor and it was in defense of attacks from a nationalist run terrorist organization you couldn't exactly fault Spain for that.
This isn't overcoming common sense, in your direct response to me you yourself admitted you were using a specific definition of direct involvement which you only tried to narrow after I brought it up to force the argument to work. Like even the range of 30-40 years is completely arbitrary.

I didn't narrow it, I'm simply using the conclusion that any normal person reading it would've come to which is that Japan has not been at war with anyone. Spain cannot say that.

That's not the definition that any normal person would use, a normal person would consider financial or hardware support to be just as direct as supplying soldiers.
The Basque conflict was arguably not a war and you could argue the main reason Japan hasn't been the belligerent in any wars is because they're obligated from their defeat in WW2 to not lead a war which was a condition imposed on them by the United States.
Nov 10, 2019 3:23 PM

Feb 2019
Freshell said:
Ryuk9428 said:

Refer back to "the best country does not mean it is a perfect society with no flaws."

Oh me oh my. Apologies for not speaking precisely:

Oh, do tell. Tell the U.S., Europe and all the other OECD countries what it needs to do in order to be the best* society... that's less happy than Mexico and Saudi Arabia. :) No one will get triggered, trust me. I might laugh though.
Didn't you know, honey? It's because Japan is a conservative society that values traditional gender roles and incentivizes women to be feminine and sweet, to value their men, to care about their appearance and strive for being good wives - none of this feminist polarization between the sexes of the West. Also, also, they don't get affected by SJW western sensitivities. Obviously the west has a lot to learn from Japan. Baka, how can you be this dense?
Nov 10, 2019 3:25 PM

Jul 2017
Their working hours immediately disqualify them from being the best.

Also, by the most important metric they only come 66th:
https://www.worlddata.info/average-penissize.php
Nov 10, 2019 3:30 PM

Jan 2009
Kosmonaut said:
Freshell said:

Oh, do tell. Tell the U.S., Europe and all the other OECD countries what it needs to do in order to be the best* society... that's less happy than Mexico and Saudi Arabia. :) No one will get triggered, trust me. I might laugh though.
Didn't you know, honey? It's because Japan is a conservative society that values traditional gender roles and incentivizes women to be feminine and sweet, to value their men, to care about their appearance and strive for being good wives - none of this feminist polarization between the sexes of the West. Also, also, they don't get affected by SJW western sensitivities. Obviously the west has a lot to learn from Japan. Baka, how can you be this dense?

lol reminds me why the right wing especially the alt-right loves talking about japan

Maenads said:

lol the philippines rank so low but it does not stop this country from being too damn overpopulated
Nov 10, 2019 3:39 PM

Jul 2017
deg said:

Maenads said:

lol the philippines rank so low but it does not stop this country from being too damn overpopulated

haha rock on! They know how to use it at least.
Nov 10, 2019 3:46 PM

Jun 2019
Does Japan have a UEFA Euro Cup title? I don't think so, dawg.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Nov 10, 2019 3:49 PM

Mar 2019
Maenads said:

The DRC and Cambodia lmao. Some stereotypes really are true.

Japan's working hours are lower than the global average now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2019 3:57 PM

Apr 2013
I've been there twice and am going back soon. I think Japan is a nice place to visit but I would never want to live there; the work, transportation, and real estate culture isn't for me. I'd rather live in the U.S.
Nov 10, 2019 4:03 PM

Jul 2017
Ryuk9428 said:
Maenads said:

The DRC and Cambodia lmao. Some stereotypes really are true.

Japan's working hours are lower than the global average now.

All I have to do is google Japanese work culture to get at least 100 articles telling me that isn't true so idk what to tell you.
Nov 10, 2019 4:17 PM

May 2016
And we haven't even touched on the Yakuza problem yet.

Dudes are even heavily affiliated with the government.

Like, everybody knows them and their deeds but they can't be touched cuz no proper evidence or whatever.

------

OH! And how about the fact that 99% of court disputes ends up in guilty. There is something deeply troubling and corrupt about Japan's justice system and their prosecutors, and that's something even Japan is openly honest about.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Nov 10, 2019 4:23 PM

Mar 2019
HyperL said:

Like, everybody knows them and their deeds but they can't be touched cuz no proper evidence or whatever.

------

OH! And how about the fact that 99% of court disputes ends up in guilty. There is something deeply troubling and corrupt about Japan's justice system and their prosecutors, and that's something even Japan is openly honest about.

Actually its quite simple, they are understaffed and only take cases which are pretty much guaranteed to win.

Really shows what a gentle society they have when they are understaffed on prosecutors but people don't take advantage of that situation to commit crimes.

The Yakuza is one gang, of about 30,000 or so members, in a country of 125 million. I'd hardly consider that a serious problem.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2019 4:24 PM

Mar 2008
There is no such thing as a best country all around. Different people like different things.

As for Japan's violent crime rate it's supposedly underreported artificially made low because unsolved crimes get reported as other things.
Nov 10, 2019 4:29 PM

Jun 2016
TheHentaiKing said:
I've been there twice and am going back soon. I think Japan is a nice place to visit but I would never want to live there; the work, transportation, and real estate culture isn't for me. I'd rather live in the U.S.

Exactly the same for me. Great place to visit, not a place I'd want to live. The humidity alone would drive me crazy I think.

Also, even if you live there work there, etc you will never be accepted as Japanese.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Nov 10, 2019 4:32 PM

Mar 2019
traed said:
There is no such thing as a best country all around. Different people like different things.

As for Japan's violent crime rate it's supposedly underreported artificially made low because unsolved crimes get reported as other things.

In 1989 with significantly lower levels of technology available to them the Japanese police solved 95.9% of homicides...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Japan

Crime in Japan is so low that criminals from foreign countries like Britain, Russia, and Pakistan travel there specifically because the Japanese are so trusting and unaccustomed to crime that they are uniquely vulnerable to it.
Nov 10, 2019 4:40 PM

Mar 2011
Its an island with a limited (though beautiful and close to unique) geographic range with an overtive suppression/nature to things not in it's own hegemony...
Still up there though
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Nov 10, 2019 4:45 PM

May 2016
Ryuk9428 said:
HyperL said:

------

Actually its quite simple, they are understaffed and only take cases which are pretty much guaranteed to win.

Really shows what a gentle society they have when they are understaffed on prosecutors but people don't take advantage of that situation to commit crimes.

The Yakuza is one gang, of about 30,000 or so members, in a country of 125 million. I'd hardly consider that a serious problem.

The heck do you mean ONE gang?

"Yakuza" is not the name of any gang, is the term used to refer to a certain type of crime syndicate in Japan. There more than one and they are not specially united.

Also, that's not what their media say at all about their own system and prosecution. They paint most prosecutors as "win" hungry people with few to no qualms about bribing defendants to confess or forging evidence.
HyperLNov 10, 2019 4:53 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Nov 10, 2019 5:06 PM

Mar 2019
HyperL said:
Ryuk9428 said:

"Yakuza" is not the name of any gang, is the term used to refer to a certain type of crime syndicate in Japan. There more than one and they are not specially united.

Also, that's not what their media say at all about their own system and prosecution. They paint most prosecutors as "win" hungry people with few to no qualms about bribing defendants to confess or forging evidence.

So 30,000 dudes (0.02% of the population) comprise the entire organized crime structure of Japan?

Good to know how impressive Japan really is.

Have you read what a plea bargain is? Bribing defendants to confess is basically what a plea bargain is.
Nov 10, 2019 5:22 PM

May 2016
Ryuk9428 said:
HyperL said:

So 30,000 dudes (0.02% of the population) comprise the entire organized crime structure of Japan?

Good to know how impressive Japan really is.

Have you read what a plea bargain is? Bribing defendants to confess is basically what a plea bargain is.

Not that type of "bribing" though. A more manipulative kind of bribing, with blackmail and all that. I guess at that point it all just blackmail.

Anyway, that's how their own entertainment media portrays it.

As for the Yakuza, I don't know where you got this low ass number. Perhaps they have declined recently but they used to be a huge deal.
Nov 10, 2019 5:25 PM

Apr 2017
high suicide rate, low birthrate, dwindling economy, absurdly conservative and prudish culture, a highly ethnically homogeneous nation, extremely poor geography, tsunamis, oppressive towards females, etc etc

it's not my thing, I'd much prefer any western nation

no to say that they are particularly perfect but i prefer neoliberal values over conservative ones so it's at least marginally better

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ 𝚖𝚊𝚕'𝚜 CUTEST 𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚗
‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ADORABLE 𝚋𝚘𝚘𝚙 !
𝚒 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 KISS 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚢𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝚛𝚊𝚌𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚗 !
Nov 10, 2019 6:15 PM

May 2019
Kosmonaut said:
Freshell said:

A fair argument! Surely the women of Japan are swooning over their men, just begging to be subservient in the house and the workplace. This surely reflects in a very high birth rate.

By the way darling, since we're on the topic, how do you feel about children? I figure we could double vp a chick and pay her to birth us a child. And does one of us play mom and one of us play dad? Or do we both embody some form of liberal super human fusion of both roles?
Nov 10, 2019 7:11 PM

Apr 2017
Svetvid said:
Wakai- said:
a highly ethnically homogeneous nation,

If you think that's a negative you aren't even worth acknowledgement and I already regret replying to you.

Fair, if I were you I'd regret a lot of things

Nov 10, 2019 7:30 PM

Nov 2008
Japan has far better freedom of expression than Europe and better than the US and this is despite bill 156 being in effect for almost a decade. The biggest annoyance about Japan, is getting a credit card, it's one of the toughest places to get a credit card.

Nov 10, 2019 7:58 PM

Nov 2016
So who wanna bet this is coming from someone who has never lived in japan before?
Nov 10, 2019 8:16 PM

Mar 2008
Ryuk9428 said:
traed said:

In 1989 with significantly lower levels of technology available to them the Japanese police solved 95.9% of homicides...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Japan

Crime in Japan is so low that criminals from foreign countries like Britain, Russia, and Pakistan travel there specifically because the Japanese are so trusting and unaccustomed to crime that they are uniquely vulnerable to it.

They "solved" them in part by forcing false confessions.
Nov 10, 2019 8:35 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Well, statistically Japan is not just a first world country but on the very top of the list even among the most developed countries. Denying that it's one of the best countries in the world would be delusional because it is a fact. I wouldn't go as far as saying it is the "best" country though, there are plenty of countries, especially some Scandinavian ones that aren't much worse and in some cases might be even better than Japan.

Now, needless to say Japan isn't a perfect country. There is a "dark side" as well. Such as the 99.9% conviction rate, the death sentence, etc. The life in Japan is relatively stressful compared to many other places in the world for numerous reasons. It is a rather conservative society and although this might have certain benefits, it is often seen as a huge hindrance.

@Seiya made a good point about the fruit prices. You don't have to be exactly rich in order to buy fruits but they probably would cost you somewhere between 5-20 times the normal price. A single apple or tomato might cost you around 1-2 USD and that's if you are wise enough to buy it from one of the large and cheap supermarkets.

The reason for that is that on top of the fact that the land is 70% mountainous, Japan is literally Sparta when it comes to fruits and even the slightest deformity would cause the fruit to be discarded and never make it to any of the stores which is just dumb and unethical according to pretty much any person around the world.

Nov 10, 2019 8:55 PM

Jun 2016
Freshell said:
Lmao at trying to make your opinion "objective." Look, what you're doing is deciding criteria that you can measure then saying whatever fulfills that criteria is the best. Of course, what makes this still your opinion is that whatever criteria you choose isn't god given. I can say that the objectively best country is the one with the most guns per capita. Wow, I just "objectively" proved that the U.S. is the greatest country on earth.

Also lmao at discounting happiness as a very important variable. But I'm sure you left that out because it was inconvenient to your narrative. It sounds like you want Japan to be the best country and are fitting your criteria to match your bias. Most sane people would say that one of the most important variables is the likelihood they'd be very happy if they were in a particular country. Japan is not only low ranked in the happiness report among OECD nations, but it's dropping! But maybe they're just too humble to say they're happy. And are just getting humbler. ;)

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who didn't think Japan is the greatest country. I bet most of the people saying so have never even lived in Japan let alone traveled there or possibly even out of their own country.

Being born & raised in Canada, and living in Anchorage & Minsk for a year each + Travelling all around East Asia (including Japan) I can say Japan is remarkable and beautiful especially for skiing which I went for half the winter season I can say Japan is not the greatest country in the world. Considering large amounts of radiation, pollution, suicide, almost no wildlife these days but the odd escaped domestic farm animal and some deer, forests dying off, frequent DPRK abductions, rising prices, rising average age (less people working causing sink on economy), woman banned from wearing glasses to work, 35% of single females liiving in chronic poverty, half a milliion abortions a year simply due to impossibility to raise a child, child abuse, pedophilia acts are rampant, no age of consent, if an older brother asks to marry your girlfriend by law you, and your girlfriend, must agree,

With all that said I don't think Japan is a terrible country but in no means do I think it's the best and comparative to a utopia.
Nov 10, 2019 10:41 PM

May 2019
@JazzPop
Indeed. I think there's aspects of Japan to be admired and emulated. I just get annoyed when someone places one particular country on a pedestal, lol. I'm a bit of an economic policy wonk, and there isn't one particular country I look to as doing things best. Rather I see there being lessons to learn from a plethora of places.
Nov 11, 2019 12:17 AM

Feb 2017
I read somewhere that crazy amounts of pressure is there on the students and employees to always keep reaching new heights ASAP. While that is there in every society, the article (forgot where i read it) said that this type of pressure is especially high in Japan. Don't know if it was accurate though.
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Nov 11, 2019 3:10 AM

Feb 2019
Freshell said:
Kosmonaut said:

A fair argument! Surely the women of Japan are swooning over their men, just begging to be subservient in the house and the workplace. This surely reflects in a very high birth rate.

By the way darling, since we're on the topic, how do you feel about children? I figure we could double vp a chick and pay her to birth us a child. And does one of us play mom and one of us play dad? Or do we both embody some form of liberal super human fusion of both roles?
How dare you doubt the magic of traditional gender roles, you beta cuck soyboy?

As the ultra progressive couple that we are, we should be both the supreme caretakers of this genderless child.
Nov 11, 2019 3:35 AM

May 2019
Kosmonaut said:
Freshell said:

How dare you doubt the magic of traditional gender roles, you beta cuck soyboy?

As the ultra progressive couple that we are, we should be both the supreme caretakers of this genderless child.

You answered your own question. Clearly as a beta cuck soyboy, I cannot understand the appeal of ruling over another. For it is I who is deserving of being subjugated! Particularly with ropes. And chains. And lashes. And hot wax... And...

Um...

Anyway, I must disagree with you on one point. We will not raise a genderless child. Instead, they will be poly-gendered. They will have at least four genders all at the same time and no less.
Nov 11, 2019 5:57 AM

Mar 2012
Most developed countries (except USA and Russia I guess) are not involved in wars for their own benifit but to bring peace to this world. Japan is not involved in any armed conflicts because the USA forced them to disband their military. Japan has been the biggest aggressor in war in the previous century. In their hearts they are still rapists (the high amount of rape in games and manga proves this) and if they get involved in a conflict again they will rape millions innocent people and even children again like they did in WW2.

Did not bother to read the rest of your arguments, Japan is the WORST country, I'd rather move to a muslim country.
Nov 11, 2019 6:40 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Khalan said:
Most developed countries (except USA and Russia I guess) are not involved in wars for their own benifit but to bring peace to this world. Japan is not involved in any armed conflicts because the USA forced them to disband their military. Japan has been the biggest aggressor in war in the previous century. In their hearts they are still rapists (the high amount of rape in games and manga proves this) and if they get involved in a conflict again they will rape millions innocent people and even children again like they did in WW2.

Did not bother to read the rest of your arguments, Japan is the WORST country, I'd rather move to a muslim country.

Japan has one of the lowest sexual assault/rape rates among the developed countries. Plus most of the people involved in the events you are talking about are gone so that's either a troll post or you are being delusional.
Nov 11, 2019 9:15 AM
May 2016
Definitely not. My Kingdom of Sweden is better.
Nov 11, 2019 9:21 AM

Feb 2018
I think no country can be "The best".Each has their own flaws, even Japan.

Nov 11, 2019 10:45 AM

Mar 2019
@JazzPop

You thought you were the only one? This website is full of people denying the glory of Japan.

@Freshell

I'll explain it for you since I have a little spare time right now.

The structure of NA and EU countries is based on the idea that freedom of choices is superior to all else. The way we are structured is that you are raised by your parents until you are 18 and then you can do whatever you want. In some cases this philosophy is fine, people shouldn't be forced to do something they hate. But we've gone too far with it to the point where there's no accountability whatsoever, you can get fat, become an alcoholic, get knocked up by three different men, leave trash on the streets, and abandon your responsibilities as a father. Nothing is off limits.

Because everyone feels that they have the right to make whatever choices they want because "they're an adult now," people are doing things that harm themselves and the community around them on a regular basis and don't see anything wrong with it. We strictly control people's choices through adolescence and then upon hitting 18 we present to them a shelf of 1,000 life choices and say "hope you pick the right one, see ya."

Its no surprise then that a lot of people are making stupid choices or destructive choices. Thus, our lower life expectancy and higher rates of crime, as well as general dysfunction among many segments of society.

Japanese society is more structured the way an AI society might be. Instead of a shelf of 1,000 choices, you are presented a few that have been selected based on your talents or circumstances and are told to choose one. You don't have the option of getting knocked up by three different men, the only options are either abortion or marriage. You don't have the option of deflecting responsibility for a child you've fathered, its either abortion or help raise that child. You don't have the option of leaving your garbage lying around wherever, as a citizen you are expected to dispose of it properly. Japanese citizens are raised to think about their community and how their actions effect the community around them.

This can backfire on them though, after-all, Japan isn't perfect. Sometimes the choices made for people were wrong, sometimes it doesn't take into account unique circumstances. The only perfect society would be an AI society that is capable of analyzing your genetic makeup and predetermining your path to happiness and fulfillment that doesn't make life more difficult for the people around you. Japan, however, is obviously run by humans who make mistakes. But Japan is structured on the same philosophy that an AI system is run off of, and that's why it has achieved such the lowest level of crime in the world, an amazing level of creativity in the arts and in technology, and the highest life expectancy in the world.
Nov 11, 2019 11:07 AM

Oct 2008
149597871 said:
Khalan said:

Japan has one of the lowest sexual assault/rape rates among the developed countries. Plus most of the people involved in the events you are talking about are gone so that's either a troll post or you are being delusional.

If you only count the percentage of reported incidents, then yeah. But to be fair, I think we can all agree that actual percentages are lot higher if we consider all the unreported incidents.

Yes, you could say it's same for every other country, but due to the cultural difference and how rapes are seen in their society compared to western countries, many of the victims are unwilling to go to the police.

If I remember correctly, Mainichi did survey years ago revealing astonishing numbers of 70% of woman admitting that they were rape victims. Number of chikan victims were even higher(obviously), 83% of the woman admitting that they were chikan victims.

Japan is definitely not as safe as most people think, especially for woman.

As for argument regarding WWII, the issue is lot more sensitive than you'd think. Judging by posts I've seen, I assume you are Japanese and you are probably not very educated on all the horrible things Japan did during WWII and I don't blame you, because it's really Japanese school's fault for not teaching correct history to young Japanese students, telling them falsified histories instead.

All these horrible things Japan did during WWII, Unit 731's and all these human experiments "Maruta" as well as massacres and rapes of woman (forcing them to be a "comfort woman") of every age from little girl to granny, killing woman who got pregnant because of the result of their rape, which happened in Korea and China makes what Hitler and Nazis did in WWII looking like a kiddy pool compared to what Japan did back then. For some people, what your ancestors did back in WWII are still to this date, very hard to forgive and there are still survivors who extremely fears Japanese and traumatized for rest of their lives.

I know that Japan have gone significant changes since then, but there are people who still thinks cores of Japanese haven't changed and fears they will still do the same things if they ever go in war with different countries. You can't really label them as a troll and delusional for stating the obvious concerns. Even if people who's involved is gone, what Japan did is recorded in history book and it's there to stay forever. It's kinda funny Japan are still reluctant to admit everything they did, yet they are very proud of what they achieved in WWII.
Nov 11, 2019 11:19 AM

Jun 2016
Freshell said:
@JazzPop
Indeed. I think there's aspects of Japan to be admired and emulated. I just get annoyed when someone places one particular country on a pedestal, lol. I'm a bit of an economic policy wonk, and there isn't one particular country I look to as doing things best. Rather I see there being lessons to learn from a plethora of places.

Yeah, exactly! :) Also because you like Anime doesn't mean Japan is the best country. I can see how people might romanticize Japan because of it but Just like how I enjoy winter sports and cold climates doesn't mean Canada, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden, etc are the best countries in the world. (Although they could probably withstand an argument for being the best better than Japan could still doesn't mean it's the best just because I enjoy the whether and sports there) A lot more than popular cult perceptions go into effect in a country.
Nov 11, 2019 12:24 PM

May 2016
Ha! I'd take the relative freedom and individualism of the western world over the colectivist conformism of Japan any day.

The biggest change the werstern world needs right now is to substitute all welfare programs for a single UBI system.
Nov 11, 2019 12:32 PM
May 2019
HyperL said:
Ha! I'd take the relative freedom and individualism of the western world over the colectivist conformism of Japan any day.

The biggest change the werstern world needs right now is to substitute all welfare programs for a single UBI system.

You are contradicting yourself there, you say you value individualism over collectivism but then you say that you want UBI which is collectivism.
Nov 11, 2019 12:41 PM

Apr 2017
Xstasy said:
HyperL said:

You are contradicting yourself there, you say you value individualism over collectivism but then you say that you want UBI which is collectivism.

I dunno, I'd say that a UBI where you have the freedom to do what you want with the money is at least marginally more individual than categorical welfare

Not that I'm at all a proponent of UBI as I feel it is putting a bandaid on a much more overarching issue.

Nov 11, 2019 12:44 PM

May 2016
Xstasy said:
HyperL said:

The collectivism I meant here was on the socialcultural side of things. The social norms, expectations, culture and traditions of the society.

UBI is more of a economic feature.
Nov 11, 2019 1:00 PM

Jun 2016
I mean if were going to look at hard statistics, then japan falls behind in purchasing power/gdp per capita, cost of living (both most people care more about), housing space, university rankings, birth rates, natural disasters, and whatever statistics could be dug up. lots of the stats you mentioned like crime could be mitigated, but as a full statistic whatever I guess. the entertainment stats you mentioned is a weird one, but you also have to factor in social media like yt and insta, as well as sports. ngl though japan (in tokyo+kyoto) was one of the best countries I've traveled to, and that's with extremely minimal spoken japanese.

Xstasy said:
HyperL said:

checkmate communists
Nov 11, 2019 1:58 PM

Dec 2013
Me thinks I rather believe in surveys made by actual researchers than some random guy on an anime forum who seems to think Japan is this magical wonderland that can do no wrong.

Don't get me wrong, it's clearly better than average, but that doesn't necessarily mean the absolute best.

But yeah, although living in Japan was fun, I still prefer it here in Finland.
Nov 11, 2019 3:00 PM

May 2019
Ryuk9428 said:
@JazzPop

You thought you were the only one? This website is full of people denying the glory of Japan.

@Freshell

The structure of NA and EU countries is based on the idea that freedom of choices is superior to all else. The way we are structured is that you are raised by your parents until you are 18 and then you can do whatever you want. In some cases this philosophy is fine, people shouldn't be forced to do something they hate. But we've gone too far with it to the point where there's no accountability whatsoever, you can get fat, become an alcoholic, get knocked up by three different men, leave trash on the streets, and abandon your responsibilities as a father. Nothing is off limits.

Because everyone feels that they have the right to make whatever choices they want because "they're an adult now," people are doing things that harm themselves and the community around them on a regular basis and don't see anything wrong with it. We strictly control people's choices through adolescence and then upon hitting 18 we present to them a shelf of 1,000 life choices and say "hope you pick the right one, see ya."

Its no surprise then that a lot of people are making stupid choices or destructive choices. Thus, our lower life expectancy and higher rates of crime, as well as general dysfunction among many segments of society.

Japanese society is more structured the way an AI society might be. Instead of a shelf of 1,000 choices, you are presented a few that have been selected based on your talents or circumstances and are told to choose one. You don't have the option of getting knocked up by three different men, the only options are either abortion or marriage. You don't have the option of deflecting responsibility for a child you've fathered, its either abortion or help raise that child. You don't have the option of leaving your garbage lying around wherever, as a citizen you are expected to dispose of it properly. Japanese citizens are raised to think about their community and how their actions effect the community around them.

This can backfire on them though, after-all, Japan isn't perfect. Sometimes the choices made for people were wrong, sometimes it doesn't take into account unique circumstances. The only perfect society would be an AI society that is capable of analyzing your genetic makeup and predetermining your path to happiness and fulfillment that doesn't make life more difficult for the people around you. Japan, however, is obviously run by humans who make mistakes. But Japan is structured on the same philosophy that an AI system is run off of, and that's why it has achieved such the lowest level of crime in the world, an amazing level of creativity in the arts and in technology, and the highest life expectancy in the world.

The fact that Japan is so unhappy in its approximation of your utopia suggests to me that in the here and now, your utopia is not worth pursuing. I have nothing against utopia. They can be an effective guide. But what's important is that on our path to our goal of whatever utopic vision we have, we have evidence that society would actually improve along the way. I get the sense that we start from opposite directions. I'm open to having a fluid vision of utopia based on the current data. You seem to want to look for the data that supports your vision of utopia. Hence you prop up all the data like crime statistics that would, on the face of it, make one think that the society is better, but ignore the big glaring holes, like the fact that people are happier in Mexico. I don't use that to suggest that Mexico should be the basis of utopia. But rather, how in the world is a society less happy than Mexico at all conceivable as the best? Of course, none of this is to say that there's nothing to learn from Japan. Just that it shouldn't be placed on a pedestal. Yes, some of the statistics you brought up are impressive.

Freedom is valuable for multiple reasons, to the point that we should consider the promotion of freedom to be the default position and any restrictions on it requiring a burden of proof. For one, people feel the most purpose in life when they, of their own volition, are moving themselves toward an ideal, self actualizing their vision of what it means to be the best version of themselves. You can't force someone to do this. At best you can instill the virtue of discipline that this requires. For another, people just hate feeling dominated by others, whether it's by their bosses, their landlord, their husband, the draconian rules of a government, or by the judging eyes of society. Note here, my notion of freedom is very different from a right winger's. They probably find it paradoxical that nordic countries have the highest scores in perceptions of freedom with all those high taxes, while I see it as completely logical. But lastly, while people may often err in their judgment of what will make them happy, other people are often worse judges. Now, we can speak of edge cases in which this doesn't actually lead to people being happier overall. I believe if crystal meth were widely available, that wouldn't be the best thing, since one use can fuck you up. But this is why I consider the promotion of freedom to be the default position and any deviation being something that needs a burden of proof.

Anyway, the cases you brought up specifically are interesting ones. I think they're at least something that can be disputed over, so I won't really squabble over them. We already recognize some degree of responsibility of parents toward their children, since we recognize children as not ready for adult levels of liberty, yet are valuable and in need of being properly raised. The question is how much of a responsibility there should be to maximize the outcomes for children, in my view. As for a duty toward keeping the city clean. Hey, if it works. I'd be more inclined toward creating government jobs geared toward keeping cities clean though, rather than do it by punitive measures.

@Xstasy
Even Milton Friedman supported a guaranteed basic income, which is similar. Most people are on a spectrum in the collectivism vs individualism divide, lol.
FreshellNov 11, 2019 3:03 PM
Nov 11, 2019 3:47 PM

Feb 2019
-Can't get a girlfriend because your boss works the soul out of you 72 hours a week
-Shinto reduced to a novelty on the level of a Tolkien novel
-No big booty women (Shiori Tsukada excluded)
-All the cute women end up eating roaches in movies produced by the yakuza
-Parents live with you FOREVER and you have to pay for them
-Other countries' leaders serve your prime minister Shinzo Abe dessert in a shoe as an insult and he allows this
SamHandwichNov 11, 2019 3:50 PM
Nov 11, 2019 5:28 PM

Mar 2019
JazzPop said:

I didn't narrow it, I'm simply using the conclusion that any normal person reading it would've come to which is that Japan has not been at war with anyone. Spain cannot say that.

Y'know Japan has inflicted multiple mass genocides and enslaved ethnic Koreans & Chinese for thousands of years occupying their land and exploiting the people as well as the 1st & 2nd Sino-Japanese wars, The Russo-Japanese War, Japanese invasion & occupation of Taiwan, Soviet-Japanese War, War with Viet Nam, 9Years War, etc..

Just because since WW2 they've basically capitulated to the U.S. and U.N. doesn't mean they've rinsed their hands clean. They're unable to fight a large scale war now for a reason and if they HAVE to they need to call upon the U.N. as they weren't trusted after teaming up with Nazis... So yeah your point doesn't really make sense. They're only allowed defensive military technology and are unable to fight a war now even if they wanted due to public world opinion and having a very feeble Aggressive military complex.. If you could even call it that.

There people go again bringing up WW2. Might as well be fucking ancient times by now. If you're gonna make a point, try to make one that doesn't require stretching nearly a century back into the past. In 1945, the United States was easily the best country in the world. But what about now, in 2019?

Freshell said:
Ryuk9428 said:
@JazzPop

@Freshell

The fact that Japan is so unhappy in its approximation of your utopia suggests to me that in the here and now, your utopia is not worth pursuing. I have nothing against utopia. They can be an effective guide. But what's important is that on our path to our goal of whatever utopic vision we have, we have evidence that society would actually improve along the way. I get the sense that we start from opposite directions. I'm open to having a fluid vision of utopia based on the current data. You seem to want to look for the data that supports your vision of utopia. Hence you prop up all the data like crime statistics that would, on the face of it, make one think that the society is better, but ignore the big glaring holes, like the fact that people are happier in Mexico. I don't use that to suggest that Mexico should be the basis of utopia. But rather, how in the world is a society less happy than Mexico at all conceivable as the best? Of course, none of this is to say that there's nothing to learn from Japan. Just that it shouldn't be placed on a pedestal. Yes, some of the statistics you brought up are impressive.

Freedom is valuable for multiple reasons, to the point that we should consider the promotion of freedom to be the default position and any restrictions on it requiring a burden of proof. For one, people feel the most purpose in life when they, of their own volition, are moving themselves toward an ideal, self actualizing their vision of what it means to be the best version of themselves. You can't force someone to do this. At best you can instill the virtue of discipline that this requires. For another, people just hate feeling dominated by others, whether it's by their bosses, their landlord, their husband, the draconian rules of a government, or by the judging eyes of society. Note here, my notion of freedom is very different from a right winger's. They probably find it paradoxical that nordic countries have the highest scores in perceptions of freedom with all those high taxes, while I see it as completely logical. But lastly, while people may often err in their judgment of what will make them happy, other people are often worse judges. Now, we can speak of edge cases in which this doesn't actually lead to people being happier overall. I believe if crystal meth were widely available, that wouldn't be the best thing, since one use can fuck you up. But this is why I consider the promotion of freedom to be the default position and any deviation being something that needs a burden of proof.

Anyway, the cases you brought up specifically are interesting ones. I think they're at least something that can be disputed over, so I won't really squabble over them. We already recognize some degree of responsibility of parents toward their children, since we recognize children as not ready for adult levels of liberty, yet are valuable and in need of being properly raised. The question is how much of a responsibility there should be to maximize the outcomes for children, in my view. As for a duty toward keeping the city clean. Hey, if it works. I'd be more inclined toward creating government jobs geared toward keeping cities clean though, rather than do it by punitive measures.

@Xstasy
Even Milton Friedman supported a guaranteed basic income, which is similar. Most people are on a spectrum in the collectivism vs individualism divide, lol.

Its not "so unhappy" its well above average in your rankings. 156 countries were surveyed and they beat 98 of them.

Mexico, Guatemala, and El Salvador's people prove how happy their countries are when they flee them by the tens of millions. Almost 25% of Mexico's population hated it there so much they went through hell and back to leave. This graph placing Mexico so far above Japan is just proof that there are serious flaws in their study. No happy country would have such a gigantic percentage of its population begging to escape from it. I'm sure if you told the Mexicans that Japan was opening up its borders and sending transport ships to allow them to move to Japan for free that they would hop on board in a heartbeat. If Mexico gave the Japanese the same offer, nobody would board those transports.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
MrZawaNov 15, 2019 9:50 AM
Nov 11, 2019 6:07 PM

May 2019
@Ryuk9428
And where do those people tend to flee to?
Anyway, we're going to go in circles. You practically have it embedded in your head as an axiom that Japan is the best, lol.

Also, I'd be remiss to not mention that while Japan is higher ranked than average, it's pretty abysmal for a 38K USD GDP per capita nation.
FreshellNov 11, 2019 7:12 PM
Nov 11, 2019 6:12 PM

Jun 2019
It's impossible to ever be correct in saying any one country or any one political system, either ones historically based or in the present-day, is the best, because the definition of "the best" would be something like "as close to perfect as humanly possible" or "closer to perfection then all the others", yet the problem lies in the fact that it isn't just that perfection doesn't exist in practice but rather that no objective model of it exists in theory either.

So what is deemed a perfect nation-state and society to live in and political system to live under down to the minutiae of every policy preference will differ between every individual person either slightly or radically.

You make the case in your OP for a liberal-capitalist democracy with a constitutional monarchy that's relegated to a ceremonial role and comparatively high ethnic homogeneity, but others with a complete opposite vision of the world would prefer to live in some combination of an absolute monarchy and religious theocracy like Saudi Arabia, a full on caliphate, a communist workers' republic, or an open borders extreme post-modern neoliberal heterogeneous to the max federation, a plutocracy, a direct democracy or anarcho-syndicalist commune-esque state, or even the historic fascist Japan when it was ruled by the Taisei Yokusankai coalition, the militarist class and the far-right, among many other hypotheticals.

And that's just the political. Borders exist because it isn't like everyone in the world can agree with what is the correct and preferable system to live under. Even with national borders and sovereignty, it isn't as if even people in the same small town in any random province or region of a country can agree now, or that there isn't direct and proxy wars between states, but it's simply the most sustainable model and neatest way to impose order through separation at present. You take any country's way of life and try to impose that over its borders though and it will be met with resistance on all sides 24/7 everywhere.

Material success and wealth is neither the sole indicator or synonymous with psychological and spiritual fulfillment - Particularly if such a highly developed, post-industrial country ruled by financial interests and the service sector increasingly has more and more of its own population that feel atomized down to their individual household or person and alienated from it, not identifying with the broader society (not saying this is the case in Japan, but just an example).

I'd consider it a fair statement to say Japan has been one of the most successful countries for its territorial and population size and resource base in modern history though. Here is a country which, rather than get bullied, colonized, and divided by imperial powers like most of its Asian neighbors, chose of its own volition to become an imperial power itself capable of competing with them. So it went from a closed country before the end of the Tokugawa era to a major world power with a seat after World War I. Was ridiculed and dismissed again for not being one of the white European countries and excluded from their division of the map, so it built itself up again into a power with the ability to challenge the United States while being the size roughly of California and come close to securing dominance over its own continent and an empire. Was smashed to pieces in infrastructure and military and civilian deaths and then, like a phoenix from the ashes mound, became one of the most industrious and successful post-war recovery stories in recorded history with its children of their former zaibatsu progenitors becoming some of the leading corporate giants, ruling global commerce from cars and electronics to kids' collectibles to become in the Top 3 in GDP size on Earth. And in the process pushing their cultural influence on foreign markets through their brands but changing many aspects of their native customs and system remarkably little by comparison and substantially less than foreign powers would have desired to this day.
WatchTillTandavaNov 11, 2019 6:39 PM
Nov 11, 2019 6:15 PM

Mar 2016
Hmm Japan is pretty good. The younger generations seem to move away from the old bad habits (overforced xenophobia and social stuff).

On this ranking Switzerland is 1st. But Japan came up from 5th to 2nd.

I like Japan because they have beaches, clean cities, good comic-stories, beautiful cartoons, and exceptional stories in porn and horror.
Nov 11, 2019 9:04 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Popura said:
149597871 said:

If you only count the percentage of reported incidents, then yeah. But to be fair, I think we can all agree that actual percentages are lot higher if we consider all the unreported incidents.

Yes, you could say it's same for every other country, but due to the cultural difference and how rapes are seen in their society compared to western countries, many of the victims are unwilling to go to the police.

If I remember correctly, Mainichi did survey years ago revealing astonishing numbers of 70% of woman admitting that they were rape victims. Number of chikan victims were even higher(obviously), 83% of the woman admitting that they were chikan victims.

Japan is definitely not as safe as most people think, especially for woman.

As for argument regarding WWII, the issue is lot more sensitive than you'd think. Judging by posts I've seen, I assume you are Japanese and you are probably not very educated on all the horrible things Japan did during WWII and I don't blame you, because it's really Japanese school's fault for not teaching correct history to young Japanese students, telling them falsified histories instead.

All these horrible things Japan did during WWII, Unit 731's and all these human experiments "Maruta" as well as massacres and rapes of woman (forcing them to be a "comfort woman") of every age from little girl to granny, killing woman who got pregnant because of the result of their rape, which happened in Korea and China makes what Hitler and Nazis did in WWII looking like a kiddy pool compared to what Japan did back then. For some people, what your ancestors did back in WWII are still to this date, very hard to forgive and there are still survivors who extremely fears Japanese and traumatized for rest of their lives.

I know that Japan have gone significant changes since then, but there are people who still thinks cores of Japanese haven't changed and fears they will still do the same things if they ever go in war with different countries. You can't really label them as a troll and delusional for stating the obvious concerns. Even if people who's involved is gone, what Japan did is recorded in history book and it's there to stay forever. It's kinda funny Japan are still reluctant to admit everything they did, yet they are very proud of what they achieved in WWII.

No, I'm not Japanese. I just happen to live in Japan. You are right though, they don't teach you about unit 731 in schools even in my home country. However, I'm still fairly confident in my knowledge about the events happening around the globe during that period so feel free to test me.

So yes, these are war crimes and crimes against humanity, I completely agree with that. The thing is that the argument isn't about the nature of the crimes but claiming that "Japanese people are still rapists in their hearts". The people who committed these crimes are probably not alive anymore and those of them who still are aren't really very "threatening". Generalizing the population however and claiming that their successors are the same as them is absurd, there is absolutely no rational argument to back up the latter anyway.

As for how safe Japan is - it is statistically one of the safest countries in the whole world. This is the reason why you can see women or elderly people walking alone at night or elementary school kids coming back from school completely alone while it's pitch-black outside.

Yes, there might be some unreported crimes though.

"Chikan" rarely "rape" or sexually assault people, they usually just take creepy pictures of you while you aren't suspecting or in some of the worse scenarios try to grope you which many women may not even realize is happening if it's in a train full of people. Needless to say this is pretty creepy.

As for the 70% rape victims. This seems like quite an exaggeration to me personally. I need some sources before discussing that in detail. Many Japanese women in their 20s and sometimes even 30s are apparently virgins with no sexual experience or whatsoever so allow me to doubt the accuracy of the claim that 70% of all women have been raped, at least until we have some evidence from a reputable source. I know plenty of Japanese women and foreign women who have lived in Japan for quite some time but I rarely hear any stories of such nature with probably the creepiest one so far being some mentally retarded person touching my friends breasts and immediately running away after that. But yes, every country has some weirdos I guess.

I'll keep some of that in mind though.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Biggest life hot takes? ( 1 2 )

Rabnawaz2 - Yesterday

68 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» How do you pronounce "Cthulhu"?

Absurdo_N - 6 hours ago

14 by Kwanthemaster »»
17 minutes ago

» How old were you when your birthday stopped being special to you?

Jomfrey - Jun 13

32 by bellingsince05 »»
35 minutes ago

» Talk to your waifu

EmperorThor - Jan 11, 2023

24 by DesuMaiden »»
45 minutes ago

» Are video games a waste of time and money?? ( 1 2 3 )

DesuMaiden - May 27

109 by Zowabo »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.