Forum Settings
Forums

Why do most people's mean score on MAL is low?

New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 2, 2019 10:38 AM

Sep 2011
As if most users have a mean score of 4 and below. Mine is pretty above average and if my mean score reached around 6, I wouldn't even say it's low.

Jan 2, 2019 10:38 AM

Dec 2015
VladimirNabokov said:
The global mean score on MAL is rather high. Also there are more 10/10 spam accounts than down voting accounts most of the time too (except for passionate franchise haters, e.g. for LoGH and a few other Anime that are in the top 25).

As for why some people have a low mean score, that would depend on each of those individuals. You cannot really generalize all of them into just one solution to this matter.

Holy crap! Is your account real? You've seen like 5000 anime and read 800 manga.
Jan 2, 2019 10:39 AM

Nov 2016
That's what I was wondering too a few months back
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Jan 2, 2019 10:42 AM

Dec 2008
Because we watch a lot of garbage anime that lower our mean score, but there are enough great anime out there so we keep on watching.
True for any type of media by the way.

Jan 2, 2019 10:42 AM

Oct 2017
UNKWONTONIC said:
I seriously don't get why. Is it because most of the anime they watched is bad? If so, then why the fuck they still watched anime anymore. They are other forms of entertainment that can suit their taste besides anime. I seriously don't get why?

I would love to see your take on this matter.

Most newer well liked shows on MAL will get ratings into the 8's even if a show is fairly disliked it will unlikely drop below a 7 so I would argue differently. I mean people rate on different values if something gets a 6 and above I enjoyed it 5 is boring and 4 and below means I disliked it. Then you got spam that try to upvote or down vote series they dislike (which I don't get why you care about a rating that much).

Plus I would argue even with a 6.84 average right now I am pretty forgiving. Most well watched people will have ratings around the mid 5 to early 6. Still when it comes to people that have an average rating below a mid 4 I would question why they are still keeping up with anime.
Jan 2, 2019 10:43 AM

Mar 2018
Because elitists watch anime.... and RATE IT!
poop
Jan 2, 2019 10:45 AM

Apr 2016
LiedElfen said:
joshua10red said:
When I made my MAL account my mean score was somewhere around 8.50 now is 6.98. Why is so low now? Because after watching so many anime I started to change my anime taste. Also after re-watching some anime i dropped the score..
At first Naruto had 10 after re-watching it 2 times my score now is 7

How did you managed to watch Naruto three times?, was it Naruto and/or Naruto Shippuden?, also if i would have watched Naruto three times i would have given it a 10 just because of the sheer amount of time i used watching it.

I watched both Naruto and Naruto Shippuden. I watched like 15+ ep every day skipping the OP and ED. In 3 months it was over. In 1 year i watched it 3 times πŸ˜…

Jan 2, 2019 10:49 AM

Oct 2015
Does people not understand that a score of 5 doesn't mean we didn't enjoy it? Or do you think majority of anime is great to be a nine? My scores maybe correlated comparisons, but its not like that without reason. I'm able to say I enjoyed a good slice of the lower portion of my list, because what it doesn't say from the number is I enjoyed it.

Let me ask you this, do you think I only enjoyed 8 and above? What makes you say that? Because its highly scored? What has that got to do with enjoyment? Absolutely nothing. In the first place, what is enjoyment? It comes in different forms, comes in different packages, all of which I am able to enjoy. I agree, it might sound insincere to compare certain anime to another, but how can I not when certain series has affected my life in such a way, "enjoyment" isn't a right term to call it. I just don't see why a series that I enjoyed non-sprodically should be scored the same to a series that made my head turn. Its pretty straightforward, enjoyment cannot just be contained and observed from numerical values, ask the people directly, see through their opinion. Understand them meticulously, don't be a phony and assume people out of the blue.

Edit: Phone Limitation
-Lofn-Jan 2, 2019 10:56 AM

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Jan 2, 2019 10:56 AM

Sep 2017
1. Some people are completionists (like me), the quality of the show doesn't bother them that much what matters most is finishing it. (I discourage this kind of behavior tho).

2. Some people love to explore anime (like me). There's a sense of achievement when you get to find something good without any influence from others.

2.a When it comes all for naught or they think its overrated or underrated - they'll make review of it.

3. (Unlikely) We all want to feel special, but this time with anime.

Overall, mostly because some are completionists elitist weaboo smth, idk it's either they're anime explorers or wannabe snowflakes. Hence they get exposed to poor anime more often, hence, low mal score

or.. they enjoyed the anime that isn't necessarily expressed through numerical values
AyunaAniJan 2, 2019 11:04 AM

"The universe was made, just to be seen by my eyes."
Jan 2, 2019 11:01 AM

Jan 2018
It's not. My mean is actually .19 points lower than the global average.
Jan 2, 2019 11:03 AM

Apr 2016
-Lofn- said:
Does people not understand that a score of 5 doesn't mean we didn't enjoy it?

Apparently this is the case 9 out of 10 times this topic comes up.

Also depending how and why you rate an Anime the way you rate it, you can have even enjoyed shows you rate fairly low up to a certain point, or because they just overall were bad, yet you could enjoy it nonetheless. People tend to overlook that possibility nearly all the times. A score does not necessarily have to represent a person's enjoyment. After all each of us rates differently.

Johan_Liebert_ said:
Holy crap! Is your account real? You've seen like 5000 anime and read 800 manga.

Look past the big numbers and have a look at the duration and total episode count. Pretty doable for anyone out there that has the patience, sources and passion to get to that number.
The dearer you hold a memory the more painful it becomes.

Jan 2, 2019 11:03 AM
Dec 2013
Because they don't rate anime purely on enjoyment, and look into other factors like animation, story, music, characters etc. when rating an anime. They also just might be frequently running into anime that just happen to be mediocre or bad, but were interested enough in them to check them out. There are also people who just never give a 10/10 to any anime, because they feel that there's no such thing as a perfect anime.
wildhoodJan 2, 2019 11:11 AM
Jan 2, 2019 11:05 AM

Jan 2018
You guys can stop.

The global mean average is around 7, guys. That's not low at all.
Jan 2, 2019 11:14 AM
Nov 2018
VladimirNabokov said:
-Lofn- said:
Does people not understand that a score of 5 doesn't mean we didn't enjoy it?

Apparently this is the case 9 out of 10 times this topic comes up.

Also depending how and why you rate an Anime the way you rate it, you can have even enjoyed shows you rate fairly low up to a certain point, or because they just overall were bad, yet you could enjoy it nonetheless. People tend to overlook that possibility nearly all the times. A score does not necessarily have to represent a person's enjoyment. After all each of us rates differently.

Johan_Liebert_ said:

Look past the big numbers and have a look at the duration and total episode count. Pretty doable for anyone out there that has the patience, sources and passion to get to that number.

Your mean score is really low, why's that?
I don't ask you to have a four but at least a 3 would do it. Well, if you use a 1-5 score it's average so it's understandable.
Jan 2, 2019 11:16 AM

May 2009
UNKWONTONIC said:
I seriously don't get why. Is it because most of the anime they watched is bad? If so, then why the fuck they still watched anime anymore. They are other forms of entertainment that can suit their taste besides anime. I seriously don't get why?

My mean score is 6.61; does this count as low?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 2, 2019 11:34 AM

Dec 2017
i agree, OP. if the mean score is 4.xx then by MAL ratings means 4 = Bad, that means most of the time it's bad!! don't listen to that enjoyment bs they try to sell ya

"but i enjoyed some aspects blah blah blah"
Jan 2, 2019 1:05 PM

Jan 2016
2019 and people still talking about mean score. smh, OP.
Jan 2, 2019 1:17 PM

Jun 2017
Better first watch more anime OP, if you seriously think most people have low mean scores.
Jan 2, 2019 1:24 PM
Aug 2015
What are you calling "low"?
It really depends on your way of rating. Personally, I rate shows from 5 to 9 (and 10 for my favorites 9). People using the whole scale (1 to 10) will logically have a lower mean score.

What I don't understand is people having a mean score on 8,5. If you score anything 9 or 10, how are you rewarding the few shows that are truly mind blowing?
Jan 2, 2019 1:42 PM
Nov 2016
Because I started to watch anime constantly, after having a parameter of what is good or bad you can see errors that you would not see before.

For example, at the beginning I was giving rating 9 to ecchi, now I see if the story is good, if the music comes in at the right moments, if the joke was well done, those little details make the difference for me now
Jan 2, 2019 1:44 PM

Jan 2018
Reiterating that the global mean average is around 7, which by MAL standards is pretty high. Therefore most users don't rate low.
Jan 2, 2019 1:51 PM

Jun 2014
A lot of users who have seen large amounts of Anime sometimes turn into critics, who attempt to analyze a show, and try to find things to complain about. These people become very difficult to please, with those users rating things relatively low.

I'm not one of those people, and hopefully I never will be. My mean score is 7.39 at the time of this post, and I'd like to think that it's a fairly healthy mean score.

Jan 2, 2019 2:01 PM
Apr 2018
Although it's far from "most" people, I know what kind of people you mean.
I think it's sorta funny when people turn into some form of pseudo critics trying to evaluate the crap out of a show instead of just staying true to their own feelings about it. (Resulting in reviews like "I really enjoyed it!" *looks at the score they gave* *scored it 2*, kay.)
LeyrenFeb 14, 10:10 AM
Jan 2, 2019 2:20 PM

Feb 2010
Leyren said:
Although it's far from "most" people, I know what kind of people you mean.
I think it's sorta funny when people turn into some form of pseudo critics trying to evaluate the crap out of a show instead of just staying true to their own feelings about it. (Resulting in reviews like "I really enjoyed it!" *looks at the score they gave* *scored it 2*, kay.)
Well, that and I wonder if people with an average score of <5 (aka, less than "average") actually value their free time. I mean why bother watching if you don't like it, heh. Perhaps some twisted sense of pride.

or perhaps their scores don't mean what you think they mean. Tons of people use 7/10 for stuff they found to be bad, but noone ever thinks of the possibility that some people might still enjoy something they gave a 4, that it could be somewhat positive score for them.

There are all kinds of rating systems and just projecting how you would interpret a score in your system onto others just leads to misunderstandings and jumping to conclusions.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 2, 2019 2:25 PM

Jun 2015
Because a show dropped at episode 1 holds the same weight as a completed show in the mean
Jan 2, 2019 2:26 PM

May 2009
SomebodyButMe said:
What I'm typing here has probably already been said before, but I'm just gonna restate it:

It's a difference in rating scales. A lot of people on MAL think that rating a show with a 7/10 would be equivalent to stating that the good things about the show are neutralized by the bad things. When in fact, at least for people like me, a 7/10 means that you have plenty of great things to say about a show, and the positives still heavily outweigh the negatives. A 7/10 isn't average, a 5/10 is. What I do is I compare a show to every other show that I've seen and then rate it. That's why I'm only ever gonna give one 10/10 score, because to me this show represents the best example of how an anime will appeal to me. This rating system is also why I generally try to keep my mean score at around a 5. This way, your actual opinions shine through, and it's easier to determine one's taste. Often times I'll find people with mean scores at around 8, which is frustrating because I'm not able to actually get a clear vision of how this person feels about a certain show. If you rate both Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu and Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou vs. Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou a 10/10, then I assume that you hold both shows to a very similar regard, granted, this is likely to be for completely different reasons. But nonetheless, I'm unable to get a feel for what you enjoy in anime if everything you watch is a 10/10.

tl;dr: 7/10 isn't average in a lot of people's minds, and just because someone has a mean score of 4-6, it doesn't mean that they think most anime is garbage.
You're very right to make the point that rating systems differ from person to person.

For me a 7 isn't "the good outweighs the bad"; it's simply "I liked this" -- I don't even bother trying to look for "bad" in a show that I liked, because honestly I find such an activity kinda pointless, as it puts the cart (the judgement) before the horse (the experience of the show itself, which should be driving said judgement).

Additionally, I don't use a 10, for arbitrary mathematical reasons (see my profile for my rating scale), so arguably my scores should have +0.5 or +1.0 added to them.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 2, 2019 2:47 PM
Apr 2018
UNKWONTONIC said:

I guess I want to know what you consider to be a “low” average score.

For me, I never watch anything that is rated below 7 (unless I am watching it prior to looking it up on MAL). However, considering there are rarely any shows rated above an 8.5, I guess 7 isn’t so low in the grand scheme of things. I can definitely see your point, especially considering that even the most critically acclaimed anime rarely even get an average score of 9 on MAL.

The way I see it, MAL tends to be like Rotten Tomatoes whereas Anime Planet is more like IMDB. All of the movies I tend to truly enjoy always end up receiving low scores on Rotten Tomatoes but rated higher on IMDB. IMDB tends to be rated more by viewers/fans/consumers whereas Rotten Tomatoes is rated by critics and wannabe critics.
Jan 2, 2019 2:50 PM

Jan 2018
Again reitering that the global mean average is 7, which isn't low.
Jan 2, 2019 3:01 PM

May 2015
Define low.
I think 6 is ok, or even 5, pretty average. It's not always clear what would be good, doesn't mean the show doesn't deserve a chance. Actually having a diverse scale from lowest to highest is better than rating everything with the same "good".
Jan 2, 2019 3:08 PM

Dec 2016
Maybe you, as someone with a mean score above 8, can see a mean score lower than 7 as "low", but actually any mean score above 5.5 is technically not-low, since it lies in the upper side of the full scale.
Jan 2, 2019 3:09 PM

Aug 2018
It's normal I guess. The average score on mal is 6-7. In my rating it means that anime is enjoyable to watch and worth checking out but it ain't anything special. It depends on your rating tbh.
Presy92Jan 2, 2019 3:28 PM
Jan 2, 2019 3:18 PM

Jan 2018
Hey guys. The global mean among all users is 7. Most users don't rate low.
Jan 2, 2019 3:36 PM
Aug 2016
You know that you are objectively wrong, right? "Most people have low mean score on MAL" my ass.
Jan 2, 2019 3:59 PM
Jan 2, 2019 4:00 PM

Sep 2017
since my mean score is the highest possible, I can't possibly know why
Signature
Jan 2, 2019 4:17 PM

Jan 2018
Another post of me reminding people that the mean average of all MAL users is around 7, which is not low by anyones standards.
Jan 2, 2019 4:17 PM

Sep 2012
Pullman said:
These threads really seperate the sheep from the individuals. Making some bullshit claim in the form of a question reveals who just takes everything they read on the internet for a fact and reply to a question that is based on a false premise without a second thought, just buying the false claim because... idk, someone wrote it on the internet so it must be true?

> So I guess in that sense they are an interesting social experiment.

Well, that's an interesting way to look at it. Actually you can make a lot of social experiments out of MAL.
Jan 2, 2019 4:19 PM

Jun 2015
Cause of specials and OVAs and Ecchi shows. They can't exactly rate those 10/10 even though they make up around 40% of their Completed Anime List.
Read Toriko!
Jan 2, 2019 4:23 PM

Jan 2018
Shovling in another post to point out the mean average of all MAL users is 7, far above what one would consider low.
Jan 2, 2019 4:28 PM

Oct 2017
UNKWONTONIC said:

Define low. I'd say low is below 5.9. And it's definitely NOT most people. There are a few, and either they have really specific tastes, take themselves/anime too seriously, have a different type of rating scale (i.e. a 6 isn't meh for them but rather good and had a lot of potential and didn't reach it), or have watched a lot of anime to the point where they watched seasonal shows that may not be good.
Hey there! If you'd like to talk about anime or anything else feel free to drop a comment on my page or DM me. I'd be glad to have a conversation and make some new friends :)
My list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Amazinc?status=7&order=4&order2=0

Jan 2, 2019 4:29 PM

Nov 2018
I'll help #95

Mean average of all MAL users is 7 and that's good in general not low. I'm a 7 guy myself and MAL ratings based.
Jan 2, 2019 4:33 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Actually, its the other way around.
Jan 2, 2019 4:40 PM
Jul 2018
Most anime is trash. Also please keep in mind that according to Myanimelist, 5/10 is considered average and 7/10 is good.
Jan 2, 2019 4:44 PM

Jan 2018
The average mean of all MAL users is 7. This information is publicly available. 7 is pretty good by MAL standards.

(Although IMHO that's too high and the result of newbies rating shitty seasonals 8+ with basically no knowledge or experience with classic anime)
Jan 2, 2019 5:04 PM

May 2016
because people want to seem cool with their low mean score
don't visit me i'm defs not one of them

ο½‘β‹†ο½‘Λšβ˜½Λšο½‘β‹†ο½‘

from the days that i've
lived those i had spent
with you, seemed real

ζœˆε…‰
Jan 2, 2019 5:14 PM

Jan 2018
The average mean of all MAL users is 7. 7 is 2 points higher than 5. 5 is what MAL considers average.

Ergo most users rate high.
Jan 2, 2019 5:15 PM

Jul 2007
If I actually listed shows that I dropped then my mean score would be far lower than 7.28. I think my mean is fine.

Most of what I've rated below 5 are movies or OVAs so obviously since they are short I watch them to completion and list them.
β˜†β˜†β˜†
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
β˜†β˜†β˜†

Jan 2, 2019 5:17 PM

Oct 2017
You prefer everyone rating everything as 9 of 10?

Jan 2, 2019 5:39 PM

Jun 2017
Not sure of the veracity of that statement but as far as I know there are users who truly consider most of the anime they've watched utter shit and there are those too who think rating so slowly is cool and trendy.

Jan 2, 2019 5:47 PM

Jan 2018
The mean average of all MAL users is 7. Most users rate high.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why do yaoi shippers get upset when their ships don't happen in shonen?

Cestlavie_ - 8 hours ago

28 by EverRealm »»
14 seconds ago

» Does complexity made an anime better? And what is your favourite complex anime

niknasr - 10 hours ago

7 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What are male yuri fans called?

emryuu - 3 hours ago

6 by Absurdo_N »»
15 minutes ago

» Any other Retro Anime watchers only?

Iron_Leopard - 8 hours ago

21 by Dumb »»
21 minutes ago

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day?

RedTea33 - 9 hours ago

25 by RioAl »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.