Forum Settings
Forums

What anime series were you so hype to watch but turned out to be aweful?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 9, 2017 9:22 PM

Jul 2016
Thrust said:
KannoSugako said:
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo.

So i was like; oh look, apparently a good romance anime. Turned out to be A CRINGE PARTY.

Is it that bad?!?!?! I'm planing to watch it D:

Well,if you don't mind:

- overpowered MC (I don't)
- incestuous "romance" ("romance" because even as it is in this show,there's absolutely nothing romantic)
- undeveloping characters
- extremely poor storyline
- characters talk about some overly annoying pseudo-scientific magic gibberish ALL THE TIME

If you can swallow and digest all this above,you might want to give it a shot. ;)

You forgot:
-weak, incompetent and cartoonish evil cardboard villains made just to be put down like flies but somehow managed to make you wish for their unattainable victory
Nov 9, 2017 9:25 PM

May 2016
Even though I don't think it was "awful" per se, Re:Creators sure as hell wasn't a "classic in the making" like some certain fools were making it out to be, that's for sure.

Damn shame too.
I really did love the hell out of Re:Creators back when it stated airing in April this year, but now that seems like such a long time ago seeing how far things have come since then, and what kind of show it became afterwards...
Nov 9, 2017 9:26 PM

Sep 2017
Thrust said:
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei

Horrendous in every aspect,watching that show was as exciting as watching the wall paint dry.
Also,it is a 24 episode long show,I felt like my flesh is decaying and falling off my bones.

I agree with you. I couldn't get past episode 3. Lots of dialogue and boring story.
Nov 9, 2017 9:34 PM

Aug 2015
Dies irae (everything is crap about this)

Chrome shelled regios (mainly because of ending)

Darker than black:ryuusei (new female lead and story which totally ruined the whole series)

Toradora (romance aspect was quite bad)

Fate/Apocrypha (the worst fate series in every aspect, be it story,animation,characters or music)

Ixion saga dt (very boring)
Nov 9, 2017 9:39 PM
Mar 2016
Glasslip. It looked interesting and the art was beautiful, and then I have no clue what happened.
Nov 9, 2017 9:50 PM

Mar 2016
Pirate said:
everything after 2011, but to be honest, i wasn't expecting much

Dude how about Made in Abyss. that show is amazing af.
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Nov 9, 2017 9:56 PM
Jul 2018
Stubborn_Idiot said:
Pirate said:
everything after 2011, but to be honest, i wasn't expecting much

dude just took a gigantic dump on my fandom triggered
Nov 9, 2017 10:29 PM

Mar 2014
One Punch Man

The hype was way too much. It wasn't that good.
Nov 9, 2017 10:56 PM

Mar 2016
jarring said:
Stubborn_Idiot said:

lul what? how did I even sound "triggered"?
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Nov 9, 2017 10:59 PM
Jul 2018
Stubborn_Idiot said:
jarring said:

you didn't. i wasn't directing that towards you. i was the one that was triggered, and it was a fail pun
Nov 9, 2017 11:10 PM

Apr 2017
Bleach.

The flllers and the espada arc disappointed me.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Nov 9, 2017 11:37 PM

Sep 2017
Erased - this is a copycat of diamond is unbreakable's last arc. The villain, the kid, and the other cast. I was hyped on it because it started good and the manga ended brilliantly then they decided an anime original ending.

Aquarion evol - It was 8.16 peak. It has the best ending song that I know and its ost is top tier. The flow of the story is decent but then they decided that bs ending. The ratings drop to oblivion.

Bleach - you know they could just end it in aizen's arc instead of fullbring arc. Nope they decided to add 40 more fillers and a weak arc from the manga and decided to discontinue it.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Nov 9, 2017 11:43 PM

Apr 2015
Funny I haven't seen any arguments lol.

Anyway, Cowboy Bebop. I do not get the hype, I have seen many anime better than Bebop.

Guilty Crown- anyone who watched Baccano! It is like the first episode, you know how the series is going to end.

Hyouka- Wtf?
Nov 9, 2017 11:46 PM

Mar 2016
jarring said:
Stubborn_Idiot said:

you didn't. i wasn't directing that towards you. i was the one that was triggered, and it was a fail pun
haha, your message was hard to decode.
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Nov 9, 2017 11:46 PM

Feb 2015
Insert any isekai/harem/ecchi series here~

We're done now aren't we OP?

Xaelath said:
Shobitch..
Was reading Manga before the anime and ended up disappointed.

The art certainly looks quite weak despite having a very lewd MCs...

LaxusDUchiha said:

Second is Isekai Smartphone. It had a huge potential and it could beat SAO in story and action scenes but the harem life ruined it.

You expected Isekai Smartphone for something else other than the waifus? Wow... I'm really surprised to the point that I'm laughing so hard now.

Anyway, the beach EP was certainly good isn't it?! xD
_Ako_Nov 9, 2017 11:51 PM
Nov 10, 2017 12:27 AM

Jul 2015
I wouldn't call madoka terrible, but it didn't live up to the expectations I had before starting the series.
Nov 10, 2017 12:45 AM

Nov 2013
I was looking forward to the Rosario + Vampire anime, since I really like the manga. But it was bad. Entire things have been changed or removed and there are stupid filler.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Nov 10, 2017 12:53 AM

Jan 2016
Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken. I've watched 6 episodes and I don't know but I feel bored. Can anyone tell me why?
Nov 10, 2017 12:55 AM

Apr 2013
I heard a lot of people talking highly about Air Gear, but it turned out to be a very bad adaption.
Nov 10, 2017 2:43 AM

Sep 2017
_Ako_ said:
Insert any isekai/harem/ecchi series here~

We're done now aren't we OP?

Xaelath said:
Shobitch..
Was reading Manga before the anime and ended up disappointed.

The art certainly looks quite weak despite having a very lewd MCs...

LaxusDUchiha said:

Second is Isekai Smartphone. It had a huge potential and it could beat SAO in story and action scenes but the harem life ruined it.

You expected Isekai Smartphone for something else other than the waifus? Wow... I'm really surprised to the point that I'm laughing so hard now.

Anyway, the beach EP was certainly good isn't it?! xD

I thought it was gonna be a light harem.....but boy I was wrong
Nov 10, 2017 3:10 AM
Aug 2017
One Punch MAN.... it was trash nothing more nothing less....(in my Opinion)...
Nov 10, 2017 3:14 AM

Jan 2017
Thrust said:

Well,if you don't mind:

- overpowered MC (I don't)
- incestuous "romance" ("romance" because even as it is in this show,there's absolutely nothing romantic)
- undeveloping characters
- extremely poor storyline
- characters talk about some overly annoying pseudo-scientific magic gibberish ALL THE TIME

If you can swallow and digest all this above,you might want to give it a shot. ;)

LOL, if this is you telling me i can go ahead and watch it i can't imagine what'd be like trying to convince someone not to. I think i'll pass then :B
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Nov 10, 2017 3:17 AM

Mar 2015
((((Black Clover))))
Isekai wa smartphone to tomo ni
woah there
Nov 10, 2017 3:19 AM

Mar 2016
ZeroZero0 said:
I don't want to remember being EXTREMELY hyped about watching sword art online,not only because it was extremely aweful but after I watched it,I had to go to a serious emergency to the hospital..I'm not even joking.So now,what about you?

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I thought the first season was good at least?

For me, it was Yuri on Ice!!!!!!!!!!!!111

I thought it was going to be like Kuroko's Basketball and Haikyuu with more hot boys for ME to love, but instead it was just hot boys loving on EACH OTHER.

I'm not a fujoshi, so even though I can tolerate ship teases like in Free!, I can't deal with downright yaoi in my sports anime. That's just not what I came to watch.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2017 3:38 AM

Jan 2013
amk_2397 said:
The main two that come to mind are Clannad and 5 Centimetres per Second.

Was told countless times that Clannad was the greatest romance anime of all time and that it hits you in the feels. Now if by hit me in the feels meant making me want to end it all with a noose, then it definitely worked. Like I understand why people like After Story, but I just do not understand the first season. The whole structuring of it is just fucking dumb. Its humour is braindead, it's drama is painful to sit through, and the characters can all eat a bag of dicks.

And then there's 5 Centimetres per Second. Only hyped up for me cause I watched Garden of Words which was excellent. It's probably the most boring movie I have ever watched.

No one really likes the first season of Clannad. People say "Clannad" is awesome, but they are refering to the whole thing. People still find the first season okay, because they watched After Story. AS without the first season would be way worse, it was a necessary evil. Helps present the characters, starts developing them and sets the whole theme. I actually find the comedy to be funny, but that's just personal xD. But yeah, the whole deal is on AS.

Nov 10, 2017 3:42 AM

Jan 2013
Re:Zero and Kiseijuu.

Kiseijuu is the definition of pretencious and it's poorly written. It disguised itself as a show with gorgeous animation and soundtrack, and it's not much more than that. If it was animated back when the manga was written, it would have half the score it currently has.

Re:Zero is shit.

Nov 10, 2017 4:04 AM

May 2016
Detective1412 said:
Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken. I've watched 6 episodes and I don't know but I feel bored. Can anyone tell me why?

Because the first half the first season is literally the most boring and uninteresting of them all. Keep watching through the boredom and you'll see that after episode 10 or 11 things get at least 5x more interesting.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Nov 10, 2017 4:08 AM
Jul 2018
Psycho-Pass 2

I was so excited for the second season. I thought we were going see a Akane vs Kougami showdown. Nope. We got some filler instead that was retconned in the movie. :))))
Nov 10, 2017 4:12 AM

Aug 2016
Hmmm

Ao Haru Ride, Angel Beats (this one was just.... meh.), and One Punch Man (overrated and overhype af. I've already dropped the manga)
Nov 10, 2017 4:16 AM
Nov 2013
HyperL said:
Detective1412 said:

Because the first half the first season is literally the most boring and uninteresting of them all. Keep watching through the boredom and you'll see that after episode 10 or 11 things get at least 5x more interesting.

This is also a pretty much known fact from anyone who has seen it, because it really does get a lot better, the beginning is meant to be a prequel anyway. I almost dropped it too, but just keep watching it and I think it may surprise you.
Nov 10, 2017 4:30 AM

Sep 2017
From this season: Dies Israe and Black Clover.

Also Gurren Lagann. I don't think it is a bad show and I can see many great aspects in it, but I can't get into it for some reason and I don't know why. I am currently at episode 9, does it change later on or do you say I should drop it since it stays pretty much the same?

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Nov 10, 2017 4:55 AM

Sep 2011
Hmm... Well, of course SAO, that one's pretty obvious...

I'm surprised I haven't seen Rewrite mentioned, being a Key VN adaptation I was expecting it to be at least decent, and the first episode was amazing... and then it just crashed and burned after that...

I'm not sure if this might be an unpopular opinion, but I found Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (the series, haven't seen the movie) incredibly disappointing after how great Fate/Zero was and how not bad the original Fate/Stay Night was. It focused on all the characters I find uninteresting or even just can't stand (Shirou, Rin, Archer,...) while the more interesting characters were given the narrative shaft (Rider, Kotomine, Sakura, Illya and Berserker [to a lesser extent, they at least got something], even Saber [she became the damsel in distress for awhile, and then after being rescued she just kind of stood around...]). I really wanted to like it, enough to force myself 9 episodes into the 2nd season, but I just couldn't take it anymore :/

The current show Ousama Game (King's Game on Crunchyroll) fails to deliver on everything it claims to be... it's pretty decent as a "so bad it's good" unintentional comedy though.

And the biggest disappointment I can think of: Hell Girl season 4. Wow was I hyped to see a new season of such a great show after so long, and wow was it a disaster with no redeeming qualities...
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Nov 10, 2017 4:59 AM

Jan 2016
Blarey said:
HyperL said:

This is also a pretty much known fact from anyone who has seen it, because it really does get a lot better, the beginning is meant to be a prequel anyway. I almost dropped it too, but just keep watching it and I think it may surprise you.

Aww, thanks guys. It makes my hope not disappear. I almost dropped it.
Nov 10, 2017 5:25 AM
Jul 2018
fate stay night ubw,kill la kill,toaru majutsu no index

Nov 10, 2017 5:30 AM

Jul 2015
samurai champloo
counter cultuer hippity hop theme runed it
Nov 10, 2017 7:56 AM

Sep 2014
I don't understand why people are hyped up about an upcoming original anime. I really really don't.
Nov 10, 2017 7:59 AM
Jul 2015
Kuusen Madoushi. The anime had low-budget animation for the fight scenes, and both the Anime and Manga failed to capture the atmosphere and captivating elements of the LN.

We still need more Anime genres like Sky Wizards and Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi, where the MC is a teacher for the heroines, instead of the usual classmate/fellow student setting.

There is one more LN that features the MC as a teacher to the heroines, and that is "Mahou Kenshi no Extra". Do you think that LN deserves an Anime adaptation ?
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Nov 10, 2017 8:05 AM

Jun 2013
I don't really know or remember. I don't think I've ever been disappointed in an anime.
Nov 10, 2017 8:21 AM
Aug 2011
Inuyashiki
Kaze no Stigma
Kaze no Na wa Amnesia
Chaos Dragon
Ginga Densetsu Weed
Phoenix Wright
Nov 10, 2017 8:27 AM
Jul 2018
angel beats.

i mean idk what i was expecting.

Nov 10, 2017 8:36 AM

Jan 2017
Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V

I've watched mostly every Yu-Gi-Oh! sequel and I liked them so far- except this one.

I liked it a first until I got to the Synchro Arc (which I was most hyped for spoiler reasons) and everything was a mess after that. The ending is probably the most terrible ending I've seen in a Yu-Gi-Oh! series (poor Yugo too, fave character in the anime), I thought Zexal's ending was eh at best.
Nov 10, 2017 8:42 AM

May 2008
Clannad AS
Kill la Kill
Kimi no na wa
Berserk 2016
Dive!!
Yuri!!! on Ice (I still like it but it went downhill after ep 8-9 imo)
Soul Eater NOT!
Magi: Sinbad no Bouken (TV) (not "awful" but i was quite disappointed, manga is much better)
Nov 10, 2017 8:56 AM

Dec 2011
Sword Art Online and No Game No Life, the gaming theme they had made me hype but the story and characterization fell flat.
Nov 10, 2017 9:55 AM

Mar 2012
Jigoku Shoujo: Yoi no Togi - I wanted an entire new season not repeated episodes from previous seasons with some crappy paper cut outs talking rubbish at the beginning of each episode

Ouran High School Host Club - I kept on hearing how good it was both for reverse harem and for comedy but I couldn't like even a single character.
Nov 10, 2017 10:03 AM

Feb 2015
Currently my main disappointment is Black Clover... But I cut off my emotions so I no longer feel these pains
Nov 10, 2017 10:08 AM

Feb 2016
I remember I were really hyped for Big Order because I liked Mirai Nikki alot and I expected Big Order to be good. Well... not even close to be good. The Anime was absolutely terrible.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Nov 10, 2017 10:08 AM

Feb 2016
I wasn't that big of a WIXOSS fan but when Piruluk appeared in Lostorage I WAS FUCKING HYPED! Too bad it turned out to be such a mediocre garbage, and her appearance was merely just a fan bait that got shafted way too quickly without any real impact to the plot.
Nov 10, 2017 10:24 AM

Mar 2010
Vampire Knight season 1. It's literally the twilight of anime. Season 2 was weirdly enjoyable but season 1 was bad.
oh, and akame ga kill for reasons obv.
Nov 10, 2017 10:36 AM

Aug 2017
Your Name/Kimi No Na wa. I was so hyped and actually in a great mood to see the film, hearing all the glorious chants from my friends + from the internet, I felt so let down after completing it, I had never felt being let down that much watching a anime.....I guess it's just me, forget about it.
Nov 10, 2017 11:16 AM

Feb 2015
I don't really follow anime releases, but Dragon Ball Super would be the exception, I guess. I really wanted to like it, but it was completely awful for over 100 episodes straight. Only the last few episodes have been up to the level of quality I'd expect from a Dragon Ball anime...
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film.

Old_School_Akira - 5 hours ago

25 by billybub »»
40 seconds ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes on MAL?

Zarutaku - 6 hours ago

3 by LenRea »»
59 minutes ago

» What anime you think was carried by a single character?

Shizuna - 11 hours ago

46 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
2 hours ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 3 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

104 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
2 hours ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 3 )

Rinrinka - Jun 8

100 by Timeline_man »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.