Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2016 12:00 PM

May 2012
Not Rem. Not sweet Rem.

Great episode once again. New op also!

Okay so I feel for my boi Subaru, but at the same time he is messing up a lot. He is letting his emotion and his selfish get the best of him and he is making really bad decisions. On the other hand I still feel for him, because at the same time he has some much feeling for them from other timelines, and can't tell nobody.

That ending was just... Yea. The hood men appearing was creepy as shit, but seeing the village and then, poor Rem. Shit was heartbreaking. If I had to guess, nobody made it out alive. Hell it looked like a fucking war just broke out. Is the hate for the witch that strong?

Shit I can't even think where they are going to start off next episode. If I had to guess Subaru is going to kill himself. Seeing Rem most likey pushed him over the edge.
AntearionJul 3, 2016 12:12 PM
Jul 3, 2016 12:03 PM
Apr 2014
Time to kill yourself Barusu.
Jul 3, 2016 12:03 PM

Jan 2013
Rem is best girl, fuck off half-elf scum.
Jul 3, 2016 12:04 PM

Jan 2014
Well, now he does need to kill himself.
Jul 3, 2016 12:04 PM

May 2008
This week Re:Zero omg <3 Welcome back that thrill <3
I like it, I like this Subaru, at least this Subaru is coming, just 1 more push next... one more!~
Jul 3, 2016 12:06 PM

Apr 2015
My soul died when I saw that ending.
Jul 3, 2016 12:07 PM
Jul 2015
Jagd84 said:
zombieiscoming said:
People always blame Subaru. That's funny lmao.

Which is weird because he didn't even do anything wrong. Is he suddenly supposed not care and not check things out? Had he not gone god knows when learned about what happened here and if his check point moves beyond this point he's fucked.

I can understand their part. They want him to sit around and do nothing, they want him to ignore everything but want him to die when they need. Apparently they do not think of the scenario as you say :D

Jul 3, 2016 12:09 PM
Jul 2018
The new opening was awesome.

That ending was unexpected!
Jul 3, 2016 12:10 PM

Dec 2009
Probably one of my favorite opening themes in recent memory, that was hype. The episode itself was very good too, so much angst for Subaru, really can't wait for him to snap out of this negative downward spiral he's going down.

Rem was so cute this episode trying to do everything she could for him...but of course that ending had to fucking kill her off screen. So were those hooded figures the same ones that attacked Rem and Ram's village years back? The cult of the witch? Very eerie how they appeared around Subaru but then just left him there. It's funny that in the end, all Subaru cared about was Rem, not Emilia or anyone else, just Rem. Guessing this is where he commits suicide to try reversing everything.
Jul 3, 2016 12:11 PM

Feb 2010
Subaru can't catch a break man. Awesome opening!
Jul 3, 2016 12:14 PM
Sep 2015
SotLHUN said:
Why did the witch's cult appear and stand around subaru?Novel readers please answer

Not a novel reader, but it may have to do with the witch scent on Subaru?

Jotakak said:
Well, now he does need to kill himself.

I was just thinking, oh god the morning star over there...Rem must be dead. Time to bash your head into it Subaru. Come on, bring back best girl Rem.
Jul 3, 2016 12:16 PM

Nov 2010
The OP song is awful, I really thought we left the shitty autotune era far, far behind. The animation is really nice tho.

I still don't like the way Subaru is in the last 3 episodes. The jump from nice, lovable, caring guy to selfish, arrogant and full on asshole dude is way too steep.
Jul 3, 2016 12:17 PM
Jun 2016
this anime proves that the anime community is immature, how can people not understand the mental horror our mc is having right now, people just want naruto like mc, dissapointed on ALL OF YOU
Jul 3, 2016 12:17 PM

Mar 2016
The OP was amazing

FFS I JUST HOPE SUBARU CAN FIX THIS... please don't let it be too late
Jul 3, 2016 12:18 PM

Dec 2014
Intense episode, New OP is fantastic.

Started off with Subaru being a little unpleasant and I must say I really liked Crusch, Her advising Subaru was nice.
Subaru is still obsessed over protecting Emilia since he thinks he's the only one who can do it.
Loved his interactions with Rem, She really cares for him. I did expect her to leave him at the hotel but it's quite sad that Subaru thought that she didn't believe in him. Will we get a Subaru backstory anytime? Why he became a NEET and all that? It's quite intriguing how an extroverted personality like Subaru became a shut in.

That end was brutal, Series is back to showing it's fine brutality. That Rem corpse at the end T.T
I guess he'll commit suicide again to try and reverse this scenario, Wonder where the save point will be.

Jul 2014
zombieiscoming said:
Jagd84 said:

Which is weird because he didn't even do anything wrong. Is he suddenly supposed not care and not check things out? Had he not gone god knows when learned about what happened here and if his check point moves beyond this point he's fucked.

I can understand their part. They want him to sit around and do nothing, they want him to ignore everything but want him to die when they need. Apparently they do not think of the scenario as you say :D

No.

I don't want some obsessive, obnoxious little arrogant cunt who believes the world revolves around him as a protagonist.

I mean, where the hell does he get the audacity to believe that he can fight knights who've been training for God knows how long, when he has zero experience at all? His stupidity never ends, and all of these features have been apparent since the first arc.
"Hi!"
May 2016
@Fai

Dude, if you don't like the show then just drop it. Nobody cares.

Jul 2014
Man Subaru is so fcked and broken in more ways than 1, anyways time for a redo! but before that I want to see Ram/ Beatrice and the gay clown dead as well, oh and Emilia too while we're at it, then Subaru can kick the bucket, I wanna see a full house main cast corpse before a redo!
Jul 3, 2016 12:19 PM
Jun 2014
Sigh. Multiple times throughout the episode I thought that maybe, just maybe, Subaru would snap out of this intolerably cringeworthy selfish obsessive stalker mindset and we could return to the quality of episodes 1-11, but no, it continued on all the way to end where Rem ends up dying because of him.

I'm giving this 2 more episodes to pick up again before I drop the series, I cannot take any more of the angst running roughshod over every interesting plot point and character that pops up.
AzureSymphonyJul 3, 2016 12:26 PM
Jul 3, 2016 12:20 PM

Sep 2015
ku klux klan is here biacthes!

This episode was very good,time-loop is near I think.
Jul 3, 2016 12:20 PM
Jul 2015
Fappa said:
I'm surprised that some people don't see how Subaru not grasping the situation he is in nor learning from last episode is a sign for his mental illness. He is literally mentally broken right now which results in this lost sense of reality.

He has become fanatic in his idea of reality, his idea of truth that he rejects everyone who tries to deny that truth.

On the one side the words of Emilia resonate in his head and keep bringing him down to reality but on the other side Subaru lives in denial towards the truth. This clearly show us that this whole obsession with Emilia is no mere quirk in his personality no it actually has reached a scale where you can call it a mental illness. He rejects anything that goes against his own truth and even the people themselves. He interprets others' attempts at trying to keep him safe as shortsighted or that they think nothing of him. And not only that, he justifies it all by reasons that no one else will ever trust. No one can believe in that or even cares enough about Emilia to be her ally. Note how every person who tried to talk against his own beliefs got majorly rejected by him. Reinhard…Kadomon ( Apple merchant ), Crusch & Ferris and at last Rem. Personally I love that development or rather the negative development as this is how humans are sometimes, especially in a mentally unstable condition. They become stubborn and don’t give up on their belief until they have to pay a prize for it. Of course this is taken to an extreme level in anime but it replicates a natural development.

You can actually see how he starts to develop some kind of escapism when he walks through the village. Subaru opens the door the first time how there is a corpse sitting in the chair but Subaru just stares at it and closes the door. The second door he opens bumps against a corpse. You can hear the foot steps walking through blood. In these very first seconds Subaru lives in denial to what actually has happened here. He started to develop some sort of escapism but got knocked out of it once he physically interacted with one of the corpses and perceived the horror around him completely.

Thank you. A great analysis. I thought that he didn't see those dead bodies. But you enlighten me :D

Jul 3, 2016 12:21 PM
Jun 2016
AzureSymphony said:
Sigh. Multiple times throughout the episode I thought that maybe, just maybe, Subaru would snap out of this intolerably cringeworthy selfish obsessive stalker mindset and we could return to the quality of episodes 1-11, but no, it continued on all the way to end where Rem ends up dying because of him.

I'm giving this 2 more episodes before I drop the series, I cannot take any more of the angst running roughshod over every interesting plot point and character that pops up.

ok bye bye, nobody cares
Jul 3, 2016 12:22 PM

Jan 2013
Subaru once again proves himself as a plot device. He literally had to act like douche to be separated from Emilia and make this scene happen. He wouldn't be much of the help if he were there when attack happened, sure, but it kinda proves the point that he is the plot device after all.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jul 3, 2016 12:23 PM

Jul 2007
Koyomo said:
@Fai

Liking the show =/= chirping only positive stuff about it.

"if you don't like it don't watch it" is hella faulty retort too since if people only watched what they agreed with, no form of critique would ever exist.
Jul 3, 2016 12:24 PM
May 2016
Fai said:
Koyomo said:
@Fai

Liking the show =/= chirping only positive stuff about it.

"if you don't like it don't watch it" is hella faulty retort too since if people only watched what they agreed with, no form of critique would ever exist.

"GOD, this episode is such a piece of shit. In fact, this whole entire series is a piece of shit. Goddamn fuck this show. 3/5"
Jul 3, 2016 12:25 PM

Jul 2014
beast_regards said:
Subaru once again proves himself as a plot device. He literally had to act like douche to be separated from Emilia and make this scene happen. He wouldn't be much of the help if he were there when attack happened, sure, but it kinda proves the point that he is the plot device after all.

Fact is without him Emilia woulda kicked the bucket a lot sooner so yea Subaru is a walking plot device to pro long the story lol.
Emilia's got more death flags than the whole cast of Akame Ga Kill.
Jul 3, 2016 12:26 PM

May 2015
Just two words: Well SHIT!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 3, 2016 12:27 PM
Mar 2014
Fappa said:
I'm surprised that some people don't see how Subaru not grasping the situation he is in nor learning from last episode is a sign for his mental illness. He is literally mentally broken right now which results in this lost sense of reality.

He has become fanatic in his idea of reality, his idea of truth that he rejects everyone who tries to deny that truth.

On the one side the words of Emilia resonate in his head and keep bringing him down to reality but on the other side Subaru lives in denial towards the truth. This clearly show us that this whole obsession with Emilia is no mere quirk in his personality no it actually has reached a scale where you can call it a mental illness. He rejects anything that goes against his own truth and even the people themselves. He interprets others' attempts at trying to keep him safe as shortsighted or that they think nothing of him. And not only that, he justifies it all by reasons that no one else will ever trust. No one can believe in that or even cares enough about Emilia to be her ally. Note how every person who tried to talk against his own beliefs got majorly rejected by him. Reinhard…Kadomon ( Apple merchant ), Crusch & Ferris and at last Rem. Personally I love that development or rather the negative development as this is how humans are sometimes, especially in a mentally unstable condition. They become stubborn and don’t give up on their belief until they have to pay a prize for it. Of course this is taken to an extreme level in anime but it replicates a natural development.

You can actually see how he starts to develop some kind of escapism when he walks through the village. Subaru opens the door the first time how there is a corpse sitting in the chair but Subaru just stares at it and closes the door. The second door he opens bumps against a corpse. You can hear the foot steps walking through blood. In these very first seconds Subaru lives in denial to what actually has happened here. He started to develop some sort of escapism but got knocked out of it once he physically interacted with one of the corpses and perceived the horror around him completely.

Spot on. A man can only take in so much
Jul 3, 2016 12:28 PM

Dec 2014
Jagd84 said:

That's not what he was doing though. He was going there to assist and Rem and the village like he did in last arc. There is nothing wrong with that. If not for him taking action in moment several people would not be alive today like Rem who needed to be rescued after reckless going after the demon dogs by herself.

Besides he needs to know whats going to do anything. You don't need to be an expert fighter to save people. Your knowledge can be used prevent such thing from happening in the first place can do just that.

I get that he needs to be there in order to know what's going on, but the matter of the village is a different story. Back then, he enlisted the help of Ram to go together into the forest which I was totally fine with. He did his part well as a decoy.

However in this scenario, he was recklessly intending on solving this problem by himself to prove that he is all that Emilia needs out of an idiotic sense of self-righteousness. If he suspected something, it would have made much more sense for him to ask for someone with strength (i.e. Reinhard) to come along in case shit gets bad. Going by himself is just suicide, but the main problem is that Subaru isn't consciously thinking of "okay I'll go once to gather info and if I die it's no big deal since I can restart with my newfound knowledge". He is overconfident to think that he can solve this issue alone.

Koyomo said:

"GOD, this episode is such a piece of shit. In fact, this whole entire series is a piece of shit. Goddamn fuck this show. 3/5"

So just because Fai dislikes just one character's actions you were able to draw the conclusion that he thinks the whole series is shit? Seems legit.
spicychileJul 3, 2016 12:32 PM
I need sleep.
Jul 3, 2016 12:29 PM

Apr 2015
Zalmox1s said:

I still don't like the way Subaru is in the last 3 episodes. The jump from nice, lovable, caring guy to selfish, arrogant and full on asshole dude is way too steep.

You just have to understand the subtle development towards this current state with the information you got from this episode.

Ever since episode 8's lap pillow scene Subaru unconsciously and subtly built up this obsession towards Emilia. Remember when he said that he thought Emilia would understand him? That's from this particular scene in episode 8. This started to progress his obsession.

It took a crazy level when she got way out of his reach through that entire election event. His safe haven distanced itself from him and so he became extremely angsty and acted without much thought.

Now that she is completely gone and actually made this perfect image of her in his head crack he spirals downwards to insanity which becomes clear through the extreme case of escapism and delusion.
Jul 3, 2016 12:31 PM

Apr 2016
The New OP was good, Rem died - Great, another Subaru's stubborn attitude - Nice, Rem's Popularity will raise.... Again and MORE FELIX SCEEENE!!!

Another extreme cliffhang. Sigh...
Why do we have to live in such a cruel world?

Jul 3, 2016 12:31 PM

Apr 2015
Yehart said:

I don't want some obsessive, obnoxious little arrogant cunt who believes the world revolves around him as a protagonist.

I mean, where the hell does he get the audacity to believe that he can fight knights who've been training for God knows how long, when he has zero experience at all? His stupidity never ends, and all of these features have been apparent since the first arc.

So you really fail to realize that he is mentally broken and this is an unnatural and unhealthy behavior of his? He has developed a severe case of escapism and delusion. Didn't you see how he fanatically believes in his truth and rejects every other attempt to drag him out of that? This is no sane behavior anymore. You have to accept that fact otherwise you'll be always left in the dark.
Jul 3, 2016 12:32 PM
Jun 2016
I seriously despise everyone saying he's pathetic.. Let's see you keep your shit together after suffering as much as he has. It's like people cannot comprehend what they're seeing in this anime.. this is a mental ill mc, I guess I always say to myself that the majority of people are stupid, yet it still irritates me >.<
Jul 3, 2016 12:33 PM
Jun 2016
Great episode as always. The animation was great, and I love the new OP! 5/5

Mar 2012
Sorry that's not despair for me, despair would be if Subaru woke up on a checkpoint where people already died.

Also the way Rem protects Subaru who is acting "recklessly" is a bit annoying. Still great episode though.

Jan 2015
Prorewiel said:
Mascera said:
So that's the new OP. Not so energetic when comparing the first one, but still pretty good though. Also it brings by MYTH & ROID that usually bring the ED-type OST Anime. So I think this new OP is pretty good.

Subaru just can't get the idea of that " Emilia the witch-relatives half-elf to be a ruler", or more like he can't think any better excuses for the other to accept Emilia as she is.

Is that Roswaal?
no :) he is not roswall you will see him next episode and well i think you will hate him if you are rem fun
Okay, so that's not Roswaal. Because the first time I see him in the opening it looks like him at least I think so, just more in the "creepy-funny" form. I'm not that really lovey-dovey about Rem though. But still, thank you for the info.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jul 3, 2016 12:34 PM

Nov 2010
Fappa said:
Zalmox1s said:

You just have to understand the subtle development towards this current state with the information you got from this episode.

Ever since episode 8's lap pillow scene Subaru unconsciously and subtly built up this obsession towards Emilia. Remember when he said that he thought Emilia would understand him? That's from this particular scene in episode 8. This started to progress his obsession.

It took a crazy level when she got way out of his reach through that entire election event. His safe haven distanced itself from him and so he became extremely angsty and acted without much thought.

Now that she is completely gone and actually made this perfect image of her in his head crack he spirals downwards to insanity which becomes clear through the extreme case of escapism and delusion.

I agree, the development does make sense, it's not that which I`m contesting, but I still think it's too sudden and mechanic, and not really that organic. It should have been more gradual, aproaching bit by bit to the current state, rather than him being somehow in one episode, and a completely different person 2 episodes later, during which it did not even a week [iirc].
Jul 3, 2016 12:34 PM

Jan 2013
-Stray said:
[Fact is without him Emilia woulda kicked the bucket a lot sooner so yea Subaru is a walking plot device to pro long the story lol.

Ironically enough, Emilia wouldn't be even able to find Old Man's stash house without Subaru intervention. She was pretty much clueless where to look when she lost her brooch and Elza wasn't targeting her directly.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jul 3, 2016 12:36 PM
Jun 2016
Zalmox1s said:
Fappa said:

I agree, the development does make sense, but I still think it's too sudden and mechanic, and not really that organic. It should have been more gradual, aproaching bit by bit to the current state, rather than him being somehow in one episode, and a completely different person 2 episodes later, during which it did not even a week [iirc].

Was there not a month long time skip between the conclusion of the second arc and the third? I feel as though that is ample time.

Feb 2010
Godfckingdamnit, kill yourself Subaru so Rem would be alive again

ugghhhhhh
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

May 2010
zombieiscoming said:
Fappa said:

Thank you. A great analysis. I thought that he didn't see those dead bodies. But you enlighten me :D

Yeah thank you fappa, you understood the situation in the episode. Subaru is completely insane now

Jan 2016
Them bastards really took out my waifu (ง'̀-'́)ง

Jul 2007
Fappa said:
Yehart said:

So you really fail to realize that he is mentally broken and this is an unnatural and unhealthy behavior of his? He has developed a severe case of escapism and delusion. Didn't you see how he fanatically believes in his truth and rejects every other attempt to drag him out of that? This is no sane behavior anymore. You have to accept that fact otherwise you'll be always left in the dark.

It hard to realize something Show absolutely did not show .

beast_regards said:
-Stray said:
[Fact is without him Emilia woulda kicked the bucket a lot sooner so yea Subaru is a walking plot device to pro long the story lol.

Ironically enough, Emilia wouldn't be even able to find Old Man's stash house without Subaru intervention. She was pretty much clueless where to look when she lost her brooch and Elza wasn't targeting her directly.

Except it is made pretty clear that she would have found it AND she would have found it good few hours earlier without him.
Jul 3, 2016 12:37 PM
Sep 2012
MozillaFennekin said:
Subaru, just take Rem. It's okay to go for first* place.

I had to correct this because Rem is the best.
Jul 3, 2016 12:38 PM

Mar 2010
Yehart said:
zombieiscoming said:

No.

That's where your wrong. He didn't fight the knights because he thought he was stronger than them. He fought to prove his resolve no less that theirs. He may not been a knight but he's saved people though his own actions at risk of his own life. It's not black and white situation. And I could careless if you can't watch series where a MC has confront his flaws isn't seen has Jesus Christ to everyone.
Jul 3, 2016 12:39 PM

Dec 2015
Subaru is getting more and more annoying... I thought being rejected by Emilia would at least open his eyes a little bit, but he's still so full of himself, thinking he's the only one able to save her.
Also, his redo ability is kinda killing the tension. The only thing I thought when I saw Rem dead was "well he's gonna kill himself. What will be the checkpoint this time?"
Jul 3, 2016 12:39 PM
Mar 2013
zombieiscoming said:
Fappa said:

Fappa said:
Yehart said:

Nice to see some intelligent comments
Jul 3, 2016 12:41 PM
Mar 2013
i see its not easy for people to emphasize with characters

Sep 2013
New op looks sick as fuck! Myth and Roid is definitely a great choice! (the ones who did the last ED song and Straight Bet from Subaru's Suicide) The animation is fluid and extremely smooth. The visuals adds even more suspense and tells a story. Though the song isn't as great as the others but this is how you make a fucking Anime Video Opening. Take notes everyone.

I found Subaru to be extremely irrational these past 2 episodes but I definitely understand what he's feeling. I don't get the hate for Subaru. Like I stated last week, his ability is very convenient but at a HUGE cost. We saw how badly he suffered during that last arc, those memories and emotions won't vanish that easily, maybe it will never go away.

For those who are hating on him, look at it this way. Yes he "dies" but returns from death. If you don't die but feel constant physical and mental trauma, that's called torture. Being tormented by the bloody past in a world where he doesn't even belong in can take a huge toll on your mind. Subaru is literally being tortured before our eyes while the rest of the world has no idea what he's going through. Alone in a world that doesn't exist for others, he's forced to carry this burden alone.

Death is a relief or an escape. With torture, there is no salvation or escape. Keep that in mind for Subaru.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Just wow. That ending. Wow.
TehSnawnJul 3, 2016 1:02 PM

Jan 2016
To the people who cry about how pathetic subaru is and how his character is doing a 180, please drop the series like now.

You only look at the surface of things and dont use your brains at all ¬_¬
Pages (19) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1724 by ShadowkillZ »»
Jun 1, 10:23 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

589 by ShadowkillZ »»
Jun 1, 3:39 AM

» What happened to Emilia’s votes?

KillLaKillGOAT - May 29

7 by Phloup »»
May 29, 8:55 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

1373 by kakaronie »»
May 28, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2016

617 by AnimatedAddict »»
May 26, 9:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.