Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 10, 2016 11:19 PM
Oct 2009
Gigarit said:

Ya it was nice to watch more Knightmare's fight and see more weird geass powers. But that's really it. They never explain what anyone's geass actually does, and they dont ever truly explain what the hell Lelouch and Suzaku are doing....

For one thing, what Lelouch and Suzaku were doing was already explained way back in episode 3. Charles wanted to speed up the conquest of the EU. After that, they were just defeated and imprisoned by Shin. None of this was kept secret.

For another, I think it's not too difficult to realize what each Geass ability does. For example, Shin can only use his power to kill the people he loves. Multiple examples were presented to the audience, so it's not impossible to identify the pattern.

True, the OVA tends to rely more on showing than telling, so it's not always going to be spelling things out. That can be a problem for those who would prefer to get an immediate explanation. But I'd argue you can still figure out the basics, depending on your own personal ability to remember what has happened before and willingness to think about the details.

This show was very unneeded as it doesn't supplement any of the story from season 1 or season 2 of code geass.

That depends on your perspective. If you're a hardcore fan of Lelouch and little or nothing else, then sure. This OVA isn't really focused on him. He simply gets a guest appearance and the narrative isn't too concerned about his activities. They're not nearly as important as what happened during the TV series.

But the OVA itself does a decent job in terms of taking risks and supplementing the universe as a whole, by expanding in other directions and opening new possibilities for the future. In other words, it provides new information. Rather than having a direct impact on either season, which it mostly doesn't, this is a side story which will only have indirect influence.

It is not meant to somehow repeat or replace the main story, which can't be changed at this point. Admittedly, some of the new details might be confusing too, especially if you watch the OVA in a hurry. That said, I think the big picture of the OVA is, at the end of the day, rather straightforward. It's just a story of personal survival on a small scale. Not nearly as messy as something like R2, for instance, as much as I enjoyed watching that season.
jgomezgMay 10, 2016 11:23 PM
May 15, 2016 4:01 PM

Sep 2014
No comment.
May 18, 2016 1:38 AM

Jun 2009
Surprisingly, out of all 5 movies I liked this one the most. I found the rest pretty meh..and the plot is really simple compared to the original code geass. However, this finale kind of had the Code Geass feeling that the previous 4 movies didn't have.

Doesn't this make you hungry?
May 20, 2016 3:47 PM

Jul 2010
The entire series have the worst battle BGM I ever heard. Listening to some jazz while blood spreading and people dying is just ridiculous. Compared to great visuals it's ridiculous even more. And on top of that, it seems to be that this BGM is the same almost for all of the battles...

Also loled hard when that girl called hersef collective consciousness. Out of a million ways to represent itself it has chosen a...hot chick. Yeah. Sure.

5/10 summary for all of OVAs and it is only for a decent visuals.
May 22, 2016 3:40 PM

Jul 2012
Seems like people don't really like this OVA, but i think it was quite good and watching it was worth my time, maybe it is because i wasn't so much of a fan of code geass. The ending is pretty nice and i was surprised that there was a kiss at the end.
And not being a fan i'm kinda interested if this story is non-canon? If it is, then there's no reason asking anything, but if it's a continuation after some time skip can anyone, who knows information from original source (of course if there is one) answer:
1) What was the point of Lelouch and Suzaku in the story, especially with the ending?
2) Don't question the identity of the girl controlling all of this, and the skull (i assumed it was one thing with different perceptions) just interested if CC is related to her and if yes why CC has physical body.
And again i think those Q are relevant only if this story is canon.
May 23, 2016 10:05 PM
Oct 2009
allenjke said:

And not being a fan i'm kinda interested if this story is non-canon?

Things could always change in the future, because nothing is set in stone, but there is nothing indicating that the story is non-canon so far. Quite the opposite. All official sources treat this production as canon right now.

1) What was the point of Lelouch and Suzaku in the story, especially with the ending?

The ending was just setting up a chronological connection to the start of R2, by having Rolo pick up Lelouch and Suzaku. The Emperor will brainwash Lelouch once again, sending him back to school as a student with a fake brother, and the familiar story will continue in the same manner.

According to the director of Akito the Exiled, Kazuki Akane, the main conceptual or thematic point of their presence was to show his own interpretation of Suzaku's complicated feelings towards Lelouch (Suzaku hates Lelouch for what he has done, but at the same time, he can't truly bring himself to kill him). That's what he wanted to portray through their interactions.

Narratively speaking, they weren't too important. Why? Because this new story was different from the TV show and isn't focused on their lives. Lelouch and Suzaku weren't there to steal the spotlight from the rest of the characters. In practice, they were guest appearances and symbols of the world that exists outside of Europe (the Britannian homeland, Japan and so on).

2) Don't question the identity of the girl controlling all of this, and the skull (i assumed it was one thing with different perceptions) just interested if CC is related to her and if yes why CC has physical body.

They aren't directly related. C.C. and V.V. are immortals who were born as normal humans. They can grant Geass powers to others, but they will eventually die once they transfer their Codes. Many other beings like C.C. and V.V. have existed throughout the history of the Code Geass universe.

The "girl" controlling all of this is not human. She is an external observer, the so-called Caretaker or Administrator of spacetime. The Caretaker is merely a manifestation of the collective consciousness (World of C, Jupiter, etc) that only certain people can see. In other words, she's more of a "god" who exists outside of time, rather than another physical being like V.V. or C.C.

Thus she is inherently different and arguably "superior" to all of them. Presumably she has observed and manipulated certain events since the beginning of history, or at least since humans received the power of Geass. That is my deduction based on her own words.
jgomezgMay 23, 2016 10:08 PM
May 24, 2016 4:20 AM

Jul 2012
allenjke said:

The ending was just setting up a chronological connection to the start of R2, by having Rolo pick up Lelouch and Suzaku. The Emperor will brainwash Lelouch once again, sending him back to school as a student with a fake brother, and the familiar story will continue in the same manner.

According to the director of Akito the Exiled, Kazuki Akane, the main conceptual or thematic point of their presence was to show his own interpretation of Suzaku's complicated feelings towards Lelouch (Suzaku hates Lelouch for what he has done, but at the same time, he can't truly bring himself to kill him). That's what he wanted to portray through their interactions.

Narratively speaking, they weren't too important. Why? Because this new story was different from the TV show and isn't focused on their lives. Lelouch and Suzaku weren't there to steal the spotlight from the rest of the characters. In practice, they were guest appearances and symbols of the world that exists outside of Europe (the Britannian homeland, Japan and so on).

About Lelouch and Suzaku, i assumed that the story happened with some time skip after R2, because didn't recognize any of royal family members. So i was confused about the ending and it's just my mistake. Oh and now i remembered that it was his fake brother, seems like i'm getting older.
It was quite a long time and i forgot about V.V. , pretty sure some kind of information about her was mentioned.

And thanks for the info! =/
allenjkeMay 24, 2016 4:33 AM
May 25, 2016 10:21 PM
Mar 2009
Gotta say, that ending was weak. This episode was probably the weakest out of the five and was extremely unsatisfying. I actually liked the first three episodes and then felt it just went downhill.

What really annoys me is that almost deus ex machina crap they pulled. They're surrounded, about to die (hell, they actually do die for a minute), then LOLNOPE. Leila's "feelings" turn time back, reset, and avoid that pitfall. No explanation on that whatsoever, just that it's a "fragment of Geass" that causes some psychedelic-level shit.

Then that whole psychological state can affect the physical state spiel from Sophie. Yes, it does, but not to the extent that people just disappear into thin air. Then there's Shin getting his Geass from a floating skull and revealed he wants to destroy the world just because his mother cheated and got pregnant. And the end with Ashley warping and delivering swift justice to Smilas? What. The. Fuck.

Maybe I'm just getting too old to accept stuff like that at face value without proper buildup and resulting in a "how did we get here" conclusion.

At least Akito ended up finally accepting Leila into his life; he actually called her by her first name. That kiss at the end was also a nice farewell. Hell, even Shin got his final moment with Jean(ne).
May 26, 2016 9:18 PM

Mar 2013
Wow what the fuck did I just watch

The 4th episode got me all hype as fuck, and the assault on the castle was still hype as fuck, but the resolution to the main conflict was... less than satisfying... and they went way overboard on the supernatural elements considering how little of them there had been so far, at least in relative terms.

A disappointing finale to an otherwise excellent series.
May 28, 2016 12:40 AM

Feb 2013
now it connect where code geass 2 years is going on.
at least there is romance with happy ending for MC in here. The original is not. IDK
"Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon."
May 28, 2016 8:11 AM

Feb 2013
really..i wait for 5 years, watching this to see the end,after marathon it, it still wouldn't give the pleasure to know this, idk why..
"Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon."
May 29, 2016 2:38 AM
Oct 2009
ChronosXIII said:
Leila's "feelings" turn time back, reset, and avoid that pitfall.

Just for the record, she (Leila) wasn't the one who did that. It was due to the intervention of the supernatural being who appeared before her. It had little to do with her own feelings per se. I suppose you could call it a DEM, but in a literal sense. This is similar to how a Greek goddess would save someone in mythology.

Then that whole psychological state can affect the physical state spiel from Sophie. Yes, it does, but not to the extent that people just disappear into thin air. Then there's Shin getting his Geass from a floating skull and revealed he wants to destroy the world just because his mother cheated and got pregnant. And the end with Ashley warping and delivering swift justice to Smilas?

It's an anime where both powerful forms of magic and highly exaggerated science can exist. Nothing is inherently impossible in fiction under those conditions.

I wouldn't call Shin's attitude particularly mature, but it fits his characterization. Trauma, including partially self-inflected cases, is more than enough of a reason. He's clearly not portrayed as being mentally healthy and the power he obtained only made things worse for him, rather than improving his mind.

For the record, the original TV show also had teleportation (mostly but not entirely used by V.V.). In this case, it's also implied to be the result of supernatural intervention by a superior being, who wanted Smilas to be punished.

Maybe I'm just getting too old to accept stuff like that at face value without proper buildup and resulting in a "how did we get here" conclusion.

Different strokes for different folks. That's the only thing I can say, considering that I am rather old myself. XD
jgomezgMay 29, 2016 2:43 AM
Jun 6, 2016 3:08 AM
Oct 2010
fst said:
Wow what the fuck did I just watch

The 4th episode got me all hype as fuck, and the assault on the castle was still hype as fuck, but the resolution to the main conflict was... less than satisfying... and they went way overboard on the supernatural elements considering how little of them there had been so far, at least in relative terms.

A disappointing finale to an otherwise excellent series.

Yeah I am pretty much the same way atm. Wtf did I just see? I don't even really understand the nature of the blue geass, it's like there's two beings who bestow the geass with different motives, yet in CG there were only red geass... I don't even know what Leila's geass was.. precognition?..
Jun 11, 2016 6:22 AM

Aug 2013
I guess I'll need R2 reboot with better script & less what an idiot moments..
Jun 13, 2016 8:40 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Lelouch T___T .... biggest hypes of these movies were seeing Lelouch.. but Lelouch was quite broken in these movie T_T ...

As for Akito parts... meh.. was more of a "Code Mecha" .. felt as it was fanservice anime for mecha battles than "bonus for Code Geass" ...

When around the end the whole Akito vs brother Geass shitstorm started.. it kinda felt really random and forced. They pretty much just mashed all random emotions all over the place since the "geass shitstorm" started..

On a side note when "shitstorm" started, music reaally reminded me of Bleach.

Was okaish to watch, gave 6/10. And Leila X Akito was also cute.

but still

Lelouch ;(
Jun 13, 2016 5:15 PM
Nov 2014
IMO (of course) i just wasn't a fan of the finale, new character additions, back stories, not to mention new abilities all stuffed into 1 hour was a tad much. I enjoyed the OVA series but the last one not so much
Jun 18, 2016 7:15 AM

Aug 2008
Leila best girl for life!

For what it was, the OVA series was great. Ending felt kinda rushed, but I'm all for happy endings. I would've liked to see a more fleshed-out epilogue with the rest of the crew.
Jun 18, 2016 2:06 PM
Nov 2015
What a pile of crap.
A prime example of a decent show turning into a shitty mess because of milking the franchise.
Jun 18, 2016 5:10 PM

Apr 2013
Sigh... they really wasted this series. Instead of making 5, 1 hour films they really should have just made an entire anime season instead.
This was such a waste of time.

Jun 21, 2016 6:57 AM

Mar 2012
Well, that was corny..
Jun 22, 2016 9:38 AM

Oct 2009
I'm a simple man. I see kiss, I rate 8 instead of 7 :P
Jun 26, 2016 5:07 AM

Apr 2013
What the hell was that? Not only was it mostly boring, also that whole spacetime universe-creating stuff made no sense at all. What a horrbiel aneding for an alright series.
Jun 30, 2016 12:37 PM

Aug 2009
As I watched all the movies over the course of two days I have to say they are mediocre at best, the movies got worse with each one I watched with the last one being the worst of them all...
As someone who really liked the first/second season of Geass I wont accept these movies as cannon :/
Overall, the movies gets a 6/10 from me and thats being nice.

The biggest issue for me is that there was no excitement in the movies, because it was clear from the start that no-one would die, ever, unless they are one of the "bad" guys...
Jul 9, 2016 10:05 AM

Sep 2008
[quote=jgomezg message=45809796]
xardansu said:

2.) Why did Akito not die when his brother ordered him to when he was a child?

3.) Why did it instead give him those crazy-ass powers?

At that point in time, Akito was too young to understand the command. Like young Shin said during the flashback, Akito was still too innocent. Children rarely have a clear concept of death (much less suicide) at that age. But the command never left his brain.

It seems that, over time, Akito's mind adapted to the "Die!" command. Similar to when Suzaku learned how to use the "Live!" Geass. It wasn't broken, but simply became a trigger for a berserk state. Rather than killing himself, Akito uses it to kill others instead. In other words, he re-directed it.

But that's not how Geass works. Even assuming that, as a kid, he didn't understand what dying was, when he was older he clearly did understand the concept. Therefore, the command 'die' should have kicked in and made him kill himself.

The Suzaku comparrison doesn't make sense. Suzaku was ordered to 'live', so whenever his life is threatened (by himself or by another), he does whatever necessary to ensure he lives. The way he uses this is by throwing himself into dangerous situations, forcing himself to take extreme measures that his human nature would otherwise hold him back from.
Jul 12, 2016 11:02 PM
Oct 2009
Yukito097 said:
But that's not how Geass works. Even assuming that, as a kid, he didn't understand what dying was, when he was older he clearly did understand the concept. Therefore, the command 'die' should have kicked in and made him kill himself.

Actually, the original TV show clearly established that Geass cannot make you follow any commands which are impossible or meaningless for you. It changes how your brain works, but doesn't give you any additional knowledge and still allows for plenty of miscommunication, interpretation and even adaptation. Not to mention there have been a few cases of resistance to and even subversion of a command.

On the contrary, I feel Suzaku's use of the "LIVE!" command would be a good example of that evolution. He couldn't control it at first, but near the end of the story Suzaku had already learned how to exploit the command to his advantage and he did that in a sense which wasn't connected to Lelouch's original intention. Not to mention that, rather than doing everything necessary to survive in a mindless manner, Suzaku was able to successfully fake his death in spite of all the risks involved. That's quite a bit more complicated than just reacting on instinct to save himself.

Similarly, it's very plausible that Akito's brain simply adapted to the command. He didn't die, but the command was still inside his mind. Therefore, it became a violent reaction triggered by dangerous situations involving death, without technically disobeying it. There is no direct contradiction involved, especially because his brain was already modified by the order even back when he couldn't understand the meaning of the word. In other words, the command was merely redirected rather than disobeyed.

Besides, it is important to point out that simply saying "DIE!" isn't defining neither the object nor the subject of the action. It's also true that Japanese is even more vague and flexible as a language than English, so context is always important.
jgomezgJul 12, 2016 11:06 PM
Jul 14, 2016 12:45 AM
May 2012
AM I FEELING UPSET & DISAPPOINTED ABOUT THIS?

ernietheracefan said:

Are you talking about the ending?

Was this possibly lead to R2 Story?? No one knows... That never happened in the actual series especially that Lelouch & suzaku part..
Jul 14, 2016 7:45 AM

Sep 2008
jgomezg said:
Actually, the original TV show clearly established that Geass cannot make you follow any commands which are impossible or meaningless for you. It changes how your brain works, but doesn't give you any additional knowledge and still allows for plenty of miscommunication, interpretation and even adaptation. Not to mention there have been a few cases of resistance to and even subversion of a command.

The show established that one would carry out a command to the best of their abilities, and showed through Suzaku that the command would persist indefinitely. Even if didn't understand "die" at a young age, he would when he grows up. It's pretty clear when you're an adult.

The only resistences we saw were due to sheer willpower because the user felt so strongly, so desperate. Euphy wanted peace between Japan and Britannia so she resisted, but ultimately submitted. The only time she seemed to break it was with Suzaku, because she loved him. Nunally broke the Emperor's Geass because she was desperate to stop her brother and end the fighting. I never got them impression that Akito was 'desperate' enough to live that he could break the Geass, let alone change the meaning of 'die' to 'murder with glee and share this command with other people somehow, work it out yourself'.

jgomezg said:
On the contrary, I feel Suzaku's use of the "LIVE!" command would be a good example of that evolution. He couldn't control it at first, but near the end of the story Suzaku had already learned how to exploit the command to his advantage and he did that in a sense which wasn't connected to Lelouch's original intention. Not to mention that, rather than doing everything necessary to survive in a mindless manner, Suzaku was able to successfully fake his death in spite of all the risks involved. That's quite a bit more complicated than just reacting on instinct to save himself.

But again, he did that by placing himself in these extreme circumstances that would prompt the Geass to force him to live, allowing him to perform actions he wouldn't willingly perform because of his kind nature. He used it to remove the 'human' aspect that was, in his eyes, holding him back. I can't see how you could use an order to 'die' to become stronger, let alone share it with other people.

Honestly, I was expecting his Geass to actually be something like a power that stirrs up the bloodlust in people, prompting them to become violent, even psychopathic. That would've actually made sense for the most part, though still would've been a little sketchy for other parts, I guess.
Jul 14, 2016 7:48 AM

Sep 2008
JeffreyZin said:
AM I FEELING UPSET & DISAPPOINTED ABOUT THIS?

ernietheracefan said:

Are you talking about the ending?

Was this possibly lead to R2 Story?? No one knows... That never happened in the actual series especially that Lelouch & suzaku part..

Lelouch and Suzaku were in this movie? Oh yeah, that's right. They played such... MINOR parts, I daresay the whole thing would have remained unchanged without 'em.

But hey, gotta reel in the audiance somehow.
Jul 14, 2016 7:53 AM
May 2012
Yukito097 said:
Lelouch and Suzaku were in this movie? Oh yeah, that's right. They played such... MINOR parts, I daresay the whole thing would have remained unchanged without 'em.

But hey, gotta reel in the audiance somehow.

I was about to say, did I saw Rolo at the epilogue? He looks psychotic or something.
Jul 14, 2016 10:35 AM
Oct 2009
Yukito097 said:

That was actually the point though. They're present for a simple guest appearance. If they had made them truly dominate the story, some fans would be happier but I'd find it far more uninteresting. They weren't intended to be the central focus and, one way or another, I am glad that didn't happen.

JeffreyZin said:

She did get to use her Geass power, although admittedly in a different context. The poster was just a tease.

The story does continue with R2. They'll go right back to their previously known roles after this. Rolo picked them up.

Yukito097 said:

The show established that one would carry out a command to the best of their abilities, and showed through Suzaku that the command would persist indefinitely. Even if didn't understand "die" at a young age, he would when he grows up. It's pretty clear when you're an adult.

Strictly speaking, it's also worth explaining that Shin's power isn't identical to Lelouch's so there is some room for limitations and variations in its effects. Just like how, for instance, Emperor Charles and Lelouch didn't really have the same power either. Nunnally was able to overcome the fake memories implanted by Charles and open her eyes, while she wasn't capable of rejecting Lelouch's orders except for a very brief moment. We should remember that precedent.

In any event, I think we will continue to disagree about the actual issue. Considering Akito's brain had already received the order even when he didn't fully understand it, that must have still changed how his mind worked to a certain extent. You believe the command was simply "paused" and should have had the originally intended effect on Akito later, but I really don't think that's what needed to happen.

Arguably, the order created what we could call a mental distortion in his own understanding. Said mental distortion was precisely what allowed his brain to adapt to the command in an unintended way which didn't involve suicide, so growing up didn't "rewire" his brain again. The order had already been fully assimilated in a different way by that point in time. Akito isn't disobeying the letter of the order, strictly speaking, but simply the spirit of the same.

I never got them impression that Akito was 'desperate' enough to live that he could break the Geass, let alone change the meaning of 'die' to 'murder with glee and share this command with other people somehow, work it out yourself'.

I don't believe he "broke" it in the strict sense. Akito's brain simply adapted to the command in an unintended manner.

Again, changing the meaning in a relative (not absolute) sense isn't all that difficult. The command itself was not remotely specific about who should actually "die!" and the meaning of the words is always provided by the victim's own knowledge and understanding. In other words, I still believe Akito's brain could have plausibly altered the meaning of the order when it was incorporated into his mindset.

I can't see how you could use an order to 'die' to become stronger, let alone share it with other people.

That's not really "strength" as much as enabling a berserker rage leading to murder. It allows Akito to kill other people without inhibitions, but his inherent piloting skill potential doesn't change.

The "sharing" part was only because of the BRS (Brain Raid System) installed within the Alexander KMFs by the science lady and her assistant. That system is meant to connect brains together within a network. It's not presented as an inherent trait of the Geass command. The show explained this a couple of times and one of the picture dramas that came with the physical discs also provided some extra information.

Honestly, I was expecting his Geass to actually be something like a power that stirrs up the bloodlust in people, prompting them to become violent, even psychopathic. That would've actually made sense for the most part, though still would've been a little sketchy for other parts, I guess.

That's not an uninteresting idea, to be fair, but I can still accept the one we got. I think it makes sense.
jgomezgJul 14, 2016 10:41 AM
Jul 14, 2016 10:03 PM

Jan 2012
sunrise strikes again with their resurrection cheese!
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jul 15, 2016 1:08 AM
May 2012
jgomezg said:
Yukito097 said:

That was actually the point though. They're present for a simple guest appearance. If they had made them truly dominate the story, some fans would be happier but I'd find it far more uninteresting. They weren't intended to be the central focus and, one way or another, I am glad that didn't happen.

JeffreyZin said:

She did get to use her Geass power, although admittedly in a different context. The poster was just a tease.

The story does continue with R2. They'll go right back to their previously known roles after this. Rolo picked them up.

The problem is that Julius kingsley name was never really mentioned again in R2.... Guess they just ignored it (and back where it all starts in R2 ep1), literally.

NoobHunterD said:

I can't believe I'm the only one who actually care about the series and so the other shows are (I'm a SUNRISE anime trash so don't judge me) until it affects my lives lol.

PS - I really missed Code geass. It's almost 10 years.
JafriZinJul 15, 2016 1:13 AM
Jul 15, 2016 8:00 AM
Oct 2009
JeffreyZin said:

The problem is that Julius kingsley name was never really mentioned again in R2.... Guess they just ignored it (and back where it all starts in R2 ep1), literally.

It's rather easy to resolve this issue though, even from a purely in-universe perspective. In practice, the net effect was just giving Lelouch one more reason to dislike Charles and Suzaku. Both of whom he already hated for plenty of more important reasons during R2, so all we'd miss would be a couple of lines of extra dialogue or a very short flashback.

In context, only a small handful of people in Euro Britannian circles knew about Julius Kingsley. Some European civilians saw him on TV, sure, but they never heard his name. Not to mention that the Julius Kingsley identity was proven to be unstable and therefore even the Emperor himself wouldn't really continue to use Lelouch in that manner. From his perspective, it wasn't a good idea in the end.

NoobHunterD said:

I wonder...have you seen Higurashi or the second season of Birdy the Mighty Decode? Maybe even Madoka would qualify, technically, to say nothing of ERASED. Changing the recent past through supernatural or fictional scientific means isn't such an unusual idea in the world of anime, including any "resurrections" derived from it.
Jul 19, 2016 5:37 AM
Jul 2018
Oh well, this OVA series certainly wasn't as good as the original Code Geass series, but I enjoyed it, and I really liked the ending. Akito, Leila, and the others really deserved a happy ending.

I'm still somewhat disappointed that Lelouch/Kingsley didn't get more action, as I would have loved to see him directly face Leila in battle, or at least meet with her, but yeah, this wasn't his story. This was a story about the W-0 unit, and the producers made it like that, probably adding Lelouch just to please the old fans a little.

I personally really liked the characters, Leila especially, as she's become one of my favorite characters in the entire CG universe, but the story would have been much better if Sunrise would have made it into a 12 or 13 episodes anime series than in 5 OVA's. But yeah, you can't ask for everything.

Oh well, I'll give the entire series a 8 or 9/10, and as always, I'll still be hoping for a third season. Or for anything else Code Geass related.
Jul 26, 2016 12:36 PM

Jun 2013
I think one of the reasons why they end up with the Gypsies at the end is because the guy (don't remember his name) declared publicly that Leila and everyone at the castle are dead, and therefore their IDs are not valid anymore and Leila and the others probably cannot access their bank accounts as well, which leave them in a troublesome situation. The second reason is because the weeks they spent there were happy moments, which I'm sure they left the Gypsies with regrets, so they came back.
Jul 30, 2016 12:12 PM

Apr 2009
sameerio said:
Why was Lelouch and Suzaku locked up?

Because they are just useless minor characters here.

7/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2016 2:04 PM

Dec 2014
Well, with every movie this series felt less like Code Geass in my opinion.

While in Code Geass it became more and more a battle about the world, this felt focussed on a small area where the rest of the world didn't matter much. The EU, Britannia etc. didn't play much of a role. The political leadership of Britannia even less. The Geass and how it was used also was quite different to the original show.

Was quite happy when Lelouch, Suzaku etc. were shown in trailers, but in the end the didn't matter much. Their role in movie 3 was ok, but in 4 and 5 they were almost non existing. Sad to see, since the movies were lacking remarkable characters in my opinion.

Also liked how they showed Lelouch and his struggle against the Geass. Fits the original show. Completely defeated in the end of season 1, dragged to his mortal enemy and then used by that enemy to serve him. The struggle against this command fits very well, too. Just as we saw it with Euphy. If the acting due to the Geass contradicts the nature of the person so much, this person will be able to temporarily resist the Geass. Sad to see they did not show more of this development of Lelouch. Same goes for Suzaku. Thrilling to see how cold bloded he was and his struggle concerning his feelings about Lelouch. Pure hatred for what he done while he still has not abandoned their friendship.

Story wise I thought the series had a good start but decreased during the further movies. The Code Geass Universe is quite interesting, but since they focussed on such a small area (as said before) they did not exploit it's potential. Would have liked to see the war between Britannia and their leaders we know from the original series against the EU. But this was no the case. Instead it focussed on a personal drama between two persons we never met before.

Well, what was good about this series? Definitely the visuals. They were stunning. Very high quality and a pleasure to see. Not only the fights, but also the landscape or the humans themself. Since I am rewatching the original series at the moment it is kind of a dissapointment to get back to this quality in visuals.

So in total I was dissapointed of the movies. The beginning of the series was good, but with every movie it went into a direction I liked less. This could have been played in a total different universe without changing to much. In other words, it did not feel much like Code Geass. Mech Fights, drama between 2 persons as center of attraction, tragic pasts and Deus Ex Machina moments are not Code Geass specific.

The Code Geass universe has quite some potential for side stories, so maybe in the future we see a better one.
Aug 16, 2016 2:48 AM

Jul 2009
Good episode, but way too happy of an ending.

I kinda like Leila's attitude in the early episode. Where she herself was willing to go to the battlefield. But once that's done, she just resumed commanding officer and never went back.

Also that troll trailer on how Leila has Akito's hair and it implied that she had to kill him in some way. Shaing was too power hungry. Tbh, he was just consumed by power and was gifted to him by a geass.

What this show needed to explain is who was the death guy that gave him the geass? What about the pink hair girl that keeps on appearing with that General?

I found on the wikia and she is called "Caretaker of Spacetime". So i'm guessing she too is a member of the geass order?

And with Julius dark face was shown during the massacre at Europa. People could have figured out that he was Emperor Lelouch in R2?

The show focuse more on Knightmares and Leila and Akito. It barely explain and showed any of the geass other than it can be passed on to other people. I already saw on wiki that we have so many geass members that were never mention in the main series.

So I'm not surprise Sunrise is milking this up. Was hoping the gang would go to Japan or at least there were aware of Zero's terror. Much of the promotional things showed Akito, Suzaku and Julius(Lelouch) on both covers. Was hoping all three would meet up somehow.

They gave us some connection to the main series at least. Also Rolo was wearing one of those knight garments at the end? :P

Ah well it's over anyways. So many questions that needed to answer. They still haven't explained Leila's geass or why C.C gave her a chance to live. I really hope Leila and Akito would appear after R2. And maybe explain the geass order and probably somewhere out there. Lelouch is still alive.

They have a 10th anniversary event happening this year. So expect some huge announcements!!

I give it an 8/10.
SomaHeirAug 16, 2016 2:54 AM
Aug 20, 2016 10:25 AM
Jun 2010
This thing is the worst.
Aug 25, 2016 7:28 PM

Jan 2011
About Akito's geass: Well, he is totally reckless while it's active, so maybe instead of direct suicide, he's simply attempting suicide by battle.. After all, as pointed out, the geass doesn't say how to carry it out beyond the actual words.

Maybe Akito is simply not suicidal by nature, so the easiest way he can imagine to die is to go into the worst battle he can find. That may even be why he ended up in the military in the first place.

About the episode: It was a bit weird with the random Lelouch/Suzaku scenes, and that time-space continuum thingy was unncessary. She could have used the anti-explosion gel the first time etc. It didn't really make the story better.

The ending was nice though. I think it's one of the most unique. High-tech settings, characters in the military, and they end up in a small gypsy camp they came across by accident some episodes earlier?
Too bad about Shin and Jean, but at least they are together wherever they are (seeing how death is not really the end there, even without resurrections) and even Akito got the girl. They even kissed on screen *and* in front of the others, so in the (almost) final scene they broke with many of the traditions (tropes) they spent so much time to uphold all this tiime.
Sep 17, 2016 9:38 AM

Oct 2012
Hmm no
No
That was a really weird ending
The journey (movie 1-4), actions, characters development is pretty interesting
But they're just gonna leave it like it
Just throw everyone's opinions into cluster of nothingness
Don't forget to put Lelouch a bit for fans

No
No
No
Even if it's a happy end, it's a pretty confusing ending

"Signature removed"
Sep 18, 2016 10:30 PM

Sep 2016
great nude scene by jean
10/10
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Sep 20, 2016 10:37 PM

Jul 2016
Great action.

A little disappointed with the plot, but I liked the happy ending for Akito and co.
Sep 22, 2016 7:59 PM

Dec 2015
This was definitely not the ending I was expecting and hoping for...

It seems every male character in this show has a grandma fetish
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 2, 2016 4:17 AM

Apr 2015
Enjoyed all the action in all five of the episodes and was satisfied with where the characters all end up at the end but did not understand enough about the different geass aspects to be fully satisfied.

1) What was the geass power of Shin and Leila?
2) What was with the whole teleporting thing at the end?

From what I gathered, Shin's geass had something to do with making people commit suicide or possibly just any command in general (but he only commanded people to die). Leila's geass had something to do with manipulating time which was then used to rewind time, look into the past and possibly have something to do with Akito and Shin reminiscing about the past (a bit farfetched though...).

About the teleportation at the end, that could possibly have to do with the supernatural woman (that Leila saw previously) being unimpressed with the performance of Smilas (maybe a personal experiment on the part of the woman to see whether humans are worthy of the geass?) OR Leila's ability to manipulate time makes her able to manipulate space as well (considering time and space are connected) and thus the portal.

All in all, enjoyed the series but the amount of plot and content in there is really more suited to a whole 12 or 24 ep anime rather than 5 movies... the last movie felt rather rushed and the friendships formed at the end between Ashley and the Wyverns felt artificial
I like the darkness.

There’s something to the feeling of not knowing your surroundings, not seeing the colour of things as they appear, but as they truly are. There’s something about the unknown, the quiet, the cold. There’s something unspoken about the dark, something I can never quite put words to. Something terrifying yet beautiful.
Oct 16, 2016 9:45 PM
Oct 2009
Shin can order people to kill themselves, but they must be connected to him (real or adopted family, lovers, etc).

He can't give out any other type of order. His Geass is far more restricted than Lelouch's power.

Leila can help people communicate. That scene with Akito and Shin near the end is when he actually uses it.

The time manipulation was not Leila, but her supernatural benefactor. That lady is the one manipulating time and space, not Leila.

I do think the parts involving Ashley weren't that great. But overall, I also enjoyed this.
Oct 28, 2016 10:42 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
=/ Ugh, that was terrible. Expected it to be somewhat good considering it's related to the anime series but it just turned into some bland movie series.

I had an image of Akito plotting some revenge or had hatred towards the world in the beginning, but he just turned out to be some wimpy little bro shouting "Oni-chan"! throughout the movie.

They were just throwing Geass powers around throughout the movie.

Lelouch and Suzaku were only there to make us watch these series...Lelouch just wanted water the whole freaking time lol.

And really? That scene with Jean and the other girl was ridiculously cheesy. What side submits to the other with words and a hug?
MistyBlueOct 28, 2016 10:53 PM
Oct 31, 2016 11:33 PM
Nov 2010
Sigh this entire movie series was completely disappointing. Waste of time. Those of us who watch Code Geass watch it for the characters, not for these cardboard cutout characters and the crappy land mech battles. They clearly ran out of ideas with Geass powers so they made Shin's power almost identical to Lelouch's application of his respective power. What was even the point? Akito was promising at the start with his ruthlessness; I thought he'd be similar to Lelouch in badassery but instead he became a bitch. Sigh. Lelouch, C.C and Suzaku had no relevance at all to this 'story' but the directors put them in there just to milk some cash. Argh. As a true CG fan, I am utterly disgusted.

Then again R2 ended 'perfectly' so I guess there's never gonna be an R3 (like with so many other series).

This could've been a completely new mech anime and no one would be able to tell. Just don't call it Geass.
FundogOct 31, 2016 11:53 PM
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Nov 6, 2016 3:03 PM
Oct 2009
MistyBlue said:
I had an image of Akito plotting some revenge or had hatred towards the world in the beginning, but he just turned out to be some wimpy little bro shouting "Oni-chan"! throughout the movie.

Objectively speaking, Akito never showed any sign of desperately seeking any form of revenge or hating the world that much. He initially disliked his brother, of course, but accepted the state of the world. Furthermore, the events of the third and fourth entries had already indicated where his character was going. Some might see that as being "wimpy" but, on the contrary, I'd argue he just became a normal person. As such, he simply didn't want his brother to destroy himself.

They were just throwing Geass powers around throughout the movie.

Strictly speaking, only two people had Geass powers in this entire story and they were only used once or twice in this final movie.

And really? That scene with Jean and the other girl was ridiculously cheesy. What side submits to the other with words and a hug?

She appealed to her actual desire to try and live with Shin, not just die pointlessly. There wasn't any strong ideological conviction involved.

Fundog said:
Sigh this entire movie series was completely disappointing. Waste of time. Those of us who watch Code Geass watch it for the characters, not for these cardboard cutout characters and the crappy land mech battles.

It depends on your perspective. People watch Code Geass for many different reasons. It's clear that this spin-off wasn't going to be the same as the original TV show. Just like how many Gundam production can be different from each other. Some viewers will be able to accept that but, sadly, others might not.

I'd also argue the land battles were great. Quite the opposite of "crappy" as a matter of fact. I would say the characters were less exciting, to be fair, but I thought this was an entirely normal cast for a mecha show.

They clearly ran out of ideas with Geass powers so they made Shin's power almost identical to Lelouch's application of his respective power.

There's a big difference. Shin can't use his power against everyone and he can only command people to die. Lelouch could use it without such limitations.

What was even the point? Akito was promising at the start with his ruthlessness; I thought he'd be similar to Lelouch in badassery but instead he became a bitch.

The point? It's a story about survival and, by extension, becoming a more constructive person.

You know our real world is extremely screwed up when folks seem to want everyone to be ruthless and don't want to see any character development in the opposite direction.

For me, a so-called "bitch" has to be someone who lets everyone push them around with no initiative or goals of their own. That's not what happened

Sigh. Lelouch, C.C and Suzaku had no relevance at all to this 'story' but the directors put them in there just to milk some cash. Argh. As a true CG fan, I am utterly disgusted.

On the contrary, I felt that using them in a limited capacity was a valid choice.

They've already had 50 episodes or more of story focus. Giving the fans the chance to see them a little more is fine and doesn't break anything.

Then again R2 ended 'perfectly' so I guess there's never gonna be an R3 (like with so many other series).

Who knows what the future will bring? I certainly don't. But late November might reveal a surprise (or maybe not).

This could've been a completely new mech anime and no one would be able to tell. Just don't call it Geass.

Perhaps, but I don't think there's anything wrong about telling a relatively normal mecha story in the Code Geass world.

phoenix9153 said:

1) What was the geass power of Shin and Leila?
2) What was with the whole teleporting thing at the end?

1) Shin is cursed and can only kill those he cares about. Family, adopted relatives or lovers.

Leila can help people communicate with each other. She used it on Akito and Shin near the end of the movie.

2) The time/space manipulation was caused by the mysterious lady, not Leila, and it's similar to the teleporting that V.V. did a couple of times during the original Code Geass TV series (the island episode, for instance, as well as how he kidnapped Nunnally and told Suzaku about Geass on the Avalon).

It hadn't been visually depicted this way though, that's the new part. And yes, she wanted to punish Smilas after all was said and done.

All in all, enjoyed the series but the amount of plot and content in there is really more suited to a whole 12 or 24 ep anime rather than 5 movies... the last movie felt rather rushed and the friendships formed at the end between Ashley and the Wyverns felt artificial

If nothing else, I imagine the viewers would have an easier time understanding what happened in certain situations if the pacing was slower towards the end. I do think the Ashley shift was too sudden, although not illogical in context (they saved his life, while his former boss tried to kill him).
jgomezgNov 6, 2016 3:09 PM
Nov 6, 2016 3:57 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
@jgomezg All in all, the movies were rushing with the storyline and I felt there were gaps between the character development which is why I said what I said.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What were the exact natures of the geasses in this show?

arilando - May 6, 2016

4 by neogalfen25 »»
Jan 2, 2019 10:44 AM

» Question about Code Geass Akito the Exiled (Spoiler)

AliyyMashhur - Dec 22, 2016

5 by 456201921 »»
Jan 19, 2018 1:14 PM

» When does this movie or ova takes place ?

Meteoroid - Oct 12, 2016

2 by SpaghettiSpike »»
Oct 12, 2016 8:50 AM

» Did it really air?

Tr1cksterpuck - Feb 27, 2016

16 by jgomezg »»
Apr 26, 2016 8:57 PM

» First 10 Minutes

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

4 by Miya190 »»
Feb 17, 2016 6:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.