Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 22, 2015 11:15 AM

Sep 2013
The most intense fight in the series. Ains definitely still has a trick up his sleeves. And it was never really a question if he will win because duh plot armor.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Sep 22, 2015 11:15 AM

Jan 2015
Probably my favorite episode since ep.3 or so. Probably because I had no hype and I liked seeing all these different spells go off.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Sep 22, 2015 11:16 AM

Apr 2015
That was rather underwhelming.
Sep 22, 2015 11:16 AM

Jul 2009
HaXXspetten said:
Without proper explanations for what every skill or spell is doing effect-wise it just comes across as random and awkward
Welcome to light novels; you hear 3~5 skills mentioned at a time and only get an explanation on what half of them do. Some are implied through their name, but not their full extent... it's tough. (ie; Re:Monster Physical Damage Reduction is listed but it doesn't say how much. Does it ignore the first 10 points of a physical attack or the first 500? & Physical Damage Resistance Sounds like a % but doesn't say how much, 5% 10% 50%? & Complete Fire Resistance kind of sounds like its 100% resistance to fire attacks....)
Sep 22, 2015 11:20 AM

Jun 2012
I found it boring, there was no real new development or insight in the episode. Just some fight. I wonder what was the point, what was the purpose of this episode?
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
Sep 22, 2015 11:25 AM

Aug 2015
If only OPM would come out one season later, so that more budget could be spent on this fight thats supposed to be much more tactical and epic than it let on. Sigh

I wish they could remake the entire fight and release it as an OVA BD or something.
Sep 22, 2015 11:25 AM

Apr 2014
Such an epic episode. I'm at the tip of my chair while watching this.
So according to Momonga, the person that use the world class item to control Shalltear is still alive...I still wonder, are they player?
Next episode will be the last of this season? Going to be even more epic.
One last thing, Momonga does not have his OP equipment...wonder how the battle will be if he have them...maybe he will use it next episode (According to the OP theme, he have them on while fighting Shalltear).
Sep 22, 2015 11:27 AM

Dec 2013
The spam was real lol
Sep 22, 2015 11:31 AM

Jun 2013
One episode left, things got interesting
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Sep 22, 2015 11:35 AM

Jul 2013
I personally really enjoyed this episode. Maybe it's because I haven't read the LN to have a comparison but that description of the"hype spell" up above definitely made the anime version look disappointing.

Shalltear's armor is disgusting though. All burgundy with no real effort into design.
Sep 22, 2015 11:36 AM

Oct 2011
Was not happy with Ainz ranking up all those spells in the beginning. Maybe if we knew what they meant or they had been used before it would be cool but just naming a bunch of spells was just taking air time.

Disappointed with these super high level attacks. Seemed generic as fuck for the most part and besides the change in the alchemist colour wheel, it was just badly animated. Also Shaltears hideous armour design was not pleasing to look at.

6/10 fight.
Sep 22, 2015 11:44 AM
Oct 2011
hlubkoj2020 said:

One last thing, Momonga does not have his OP equipment...wonder how the battle will be if he have them...maybe he will use it next episode (According to the OP theme, he have them on while fighting Shalltear).
There's a reason.What he's wearing now is basically holy resist gear.So when Shalltear "damaged" him Ainz was actually faking it that it was effective,he didn't take much dmg.But when she used a fire spell that really worked Ainz acted like it didn't hurt at all,making Shalltear think that he had prepared fire resist and lead her to a wrong conclusion.Ainz even cast "「False Data: Life」" to fool Shalltear if she ever decided to check his condition in detail,but she was quite focused on observing his mana,well theres more but hopefully some of it will be explained next ep...This was a very very strategic battle,again too bad about the adaption.
barmarSep 22, 2015 2:14 PM
Sep 22, 2015 11:46 AM

Apr 2008
Gov said:
Was not happy with Ainz ranking up all those spells in the beginning. Maybe if we knew what they meant or they had been used before it would be cool but just naming a bunch of spells was just taking air time.

Disappointed with these super high level attacks. Seemed generic as fuck for the most part and besides the change in the alchemist colour wheel, it was just badly animated. Also Shaltears hideous armour design was not pleasing to look at.

6/10 fight.

Let me guess you'd rather she wore bikini warriors style armor huh?
Sep 22, 2015 11:49 AM

Jun 2013
that barrage of skills without explaining what they do shit lol and all this talk about hp an mp do they know it's a game? or what?
Sep 22, 2015 11:50 AM

Sep 2011
As an anime only, this episode was great imo.
I just have 1 complaint but that comes from early episodes too... So many buff spells and no actual explanation for what each of those do. Feels kinda random and feels like it's not really needed, but the rest was hype.
Damn cliffhanger xD
Sep 22, 2015 11:54 AM

Feb 2015
don't know what people are moaning about. I thought it was great, really hope there is a season 2. I love the strategy element in the battles and reminds me of a few JRPG's I've played
Sep 22, 2015 11:55 AM

Sep 2011
Axelucard_ said:
that barrage of skills without explaining what they do shit lol and all this talk about hp an mp do they know it's a game? or what?

I think it's pretty obvious since the first couple of episodes that in Nazarik all of them actually know they come from a game.
It's not the first time they talk about HP and MP, they are everytime adressing the supreme beings as their creators, Ainz aready had a normal conversation with Albedo about how he changed her original setings from "she's also a bitch" to "she loves Momonga", etc
Sep 22, 2015 11:56 AM

Aug 2008
The player part of me was thinking "aw damn, there goes another one time use thing" the whole episode... Even as it is, it's still one of the better series out there but you can't help feeling bad about all that wasted potential because of lack of time and money. Nonetheless, I will take Overlord any day instead of all that LN based trash most studios are constantly shitting out for the past years.

As for the complains about lack of skill descriptions... would you really have tedious info dumps take most of the episode instead? You can guess what the skills do just by the name and effect, who gives a damn about flavour text at that point. Anime is a visual media, characters monologuing or talking on and on about attacks is one of the worst things you can have.
AntanaruSep 22, 2015 11:59 AM
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 22, 2015 12:05 PM
Oct 2011
Axelucard_ said:
They only know the terms,like for example when Ainz mentioned intruders/players they instantly remembered and understood what he meant but did they know what "players" are exactly?. Thats all they know "terms" they are aware that "supreme beings" lived in another "world/dimension" aka real world, or so they understood,but they definitely didn't know their own world was a "game".Thats exactly why they think of him as a supreme being when he could create them, change their settings and etc.They think of all of that including MP and HP as natural occurences.
barmarSep 22, 2015 1:44 PM
Sep 22, 2015 12:06 PM

Feb 2011
Sangaz said:
Ainz looks loads better without the stupid mantle and shoulder pads. Whoever designed his regular outfit had a piss poor sense of style imo.

If you played YuGiOh, you'd know there's a few cards with a similar outfit. It's just what a Ruler/Overlord wears given their position. I don't believe it's for style as it is for show. In other words, some research was involved.
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Sep 22, 2015 12:07 PM
Feb 2011
Darklight0303 said:
dfsafsaf said:
The fight so far was kinda okay. But the animation of spells was really underwhelming... like it supposed to be some of the strongest spells in existence and they look so meh. Like that black hole spell in one of the earlier episodes looked better than anything shown in this one.
‘The Goal of All Life is Death’ seemed to look awesome, but then the aftermath was way too colorful after such spell.

You call nothing but SAND colorful?

I would understand it being a bit more greyish or just more gloomy or smth...
Right now it was as bright as the sun and that is too colorful for me.
Sep 22, 2015 12:11 PM

Jan 2015
...I enjoyed it. White flash attack could have been cooler, but it was still tense for a magic fight.
Sep 22, 2015 12:11 PM

Sep 2013
Ainz skill was a disappointment, they didn't even animate it's effects let alone say what it does.
come on, that skill can let him kill anything, even undeads and immortals are nothing in front of that skill.
There was no tension to it, the overall fight was okay but could have been smoother too, meh.

Ainz new cloak was styling <3
He looks like a nomad XD
Considering making one myself, that was way too beastly :)

ichii_1Sep 22, 2015 12:27 PM
Sep 22, 2015 12:23 PM

Apr 2010
Nice episode :) ...nice cliffhanger >.>
YT: Gaming (gw2,...), cons and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vercammen312
Monster girls club card: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=27137
See profile for exemples.
Sep 22, 2015 12:27 PM

Oct 2011
Darklight0303 said:
Gov said:

6/10 fight.

Huh? Where did you get that from?

I just don't like the armour. It looked lame. That is it.
Sep 22, 2015 12:34 PM

May 2015
I feel that Lord Ains should of been more powerful. I understand that in the ending, he shows that she just played into his hand but still, he needs to be more epic. Overall, i cant wait until the finale, and i hope there will be a second season, i mean there has to be... right?
Sep 22, 2015 12:41 PM

Apr 2008
Gov said:
Darklight0303 said:

So armor that actually LOOKS like armor is lame to you
Sep 22, 2015 12:44 PM

Jan 2015
I thought Ains is much stronger, but he cant beat his "servant" easily? I mean, how is he the guild leader, i bet peroloncino is much stronger than him...

P.S: SAO is garbage :)
Sep 22, 2015 12:46 PM

Oct 2011
Darklight0303 said:
Gov said:

So armor that actually LOOKS like armor is lame to you

It. Looked. Lame.

It is opinion, don't know why you are getting so angry about it.
Sep 22, 2015 12:51 PM

Jul 2009
Axelucard_ said:
HP and MP are common terms from YGGDRASIL (and MMORPGs in general). I don't know if the NPCs know if they are from a game, but being common terms, and hearing the guild members talk all the time probably led them to knowing about HP, MP, and other game-related terms.

Examples in the series so far that the NPCs kept their memories of when they weren't(?) self-aware include:
Mare (I think it was him) being scared of fighting, like he remembered his death from guilds raiding their dungeon before...
The flashback the NPCs had about the siblings who created Shaltear & the twins...
Sep 22, 2015 12:58 PM

Aug 2015
Near the end , when I heard " Don't you give me your love and passion " - OH NO !!! Too Early.

Right after that the fight dialogue starts- ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY? Better than nothing.
Z-DanteSep 22, 2015 1:02 PM
Sep 22, 2015 12:58 PM

Jan 2013
on the bright side since the budget for this season was low more chances for the second season ?
just look at owari no seraph it had shit budget 1st season but will have good budget for the second (look at the trailer)
Sep 22, 2015 1:06 PM

Jan 2013
Heh, people complaining about RPG characters fighting like RPG characters.

Ainz is a max level character from an MMO game. If you're going into a boss fight, you're going to set up a bunch of buffs, and traps if you have them. What exactly each spell did is irrelevant (it's not like we're seeing damage numbers float over their heads), it is a just sure sign of obscenely high level combat in many RPGs. And all of those Maximize Triple etc sounds like metamagic effects to me; alternations to original spells that take more power to cast in return for much greater effects.
Sep 22, 2015 1:06 PM
Nov 2010
barmar said:
"The world died. It was not a figure of speech. Everything had died. In front of his eyes, the Einherjar turned into a white mist and began to crumble. Even the lifeless construct had died instantly. Likewise, Shalltear’s kin, succumbing to a power that they could not resist, began to die out. But it did not end there. Even the air that was devoid of life died and turned the 200 meter diameter into a space where breathing was impossible. If there had been a being here who needed to breathe in order to live, the dead air would have contaminated the lungs and ended its life.

Not only that, the land died as well. With Ainz at its center, an area measuring 200 meters in diameter instantly turned into a desert. In a world where only death existed, the only thing left moving was Ainz and Shalltear. Ainz’s secret weapon, ‘The Goal of All Life is Death’, it strengthened the instant death effect of spells and skills to the point where even those with complete immunity were killed. A method to defend against it was to, like Shalltear, deploy a self-resurrection effect and so on. It was also the reason why even inanimate objects like the air and land had died. Although its effects weren’t to this extent in Yggdrasil, in the real world, it was much more clearly pronounced in the form of granting ‘Death’ to all equally"

^This awesome spell turned into a white screen lol apart from a few scenes it was pretty bad.

Wow that sounds pretty epic. I was wondering why it was suddenly all golden sand where they were standing.....I wish they had animated that part..or given some narration..or SOMETHING.

Overall though, with no knowledge of the LN I really enjoyed this episode...can't wait to see what happens next.
Sep 22, 2015 1:07 PM

Sep 2013
SkullProX said:
I thought Ains is much stronger, but he cant beat his "servant" easily? I mean, how is he the guild leader, i bet peroloncino is much stronger than him..

Shalltear is just a really really bad matchup for ainz (probably created that way on purpose to screw with ainz XD)
Notice he couldn't use any summons.
ainz should beat peroloncino.
Sep 22, 2015 1:17 PM

Oct 2013
Really boring fight... pretty bad animation, bad effects. And wasn't Ains established as much much stronger than anyone in Nazarick? So this fight being so close makes no sense....

Also as far as MMO fights go, it was even boring more boring that normal MMO fights.... they kept saying names of spells which caused lame effects to show up and hit the other, and repeat until the end. They kept talking about 'mp' and 'hp' but there is no visual indication for it so there is no point, no damage is shown on either Ains(aside from broken cloak) or Shalltear(aside from a little blood from her mouth, about as much as if she bit her tongue during combat) so basically it was 2 seemingly invincible people throwing lame effects at eachother the entire episode.... Seriously if there was an MP and HP indication showing then this fight would be 10x better....

Furthermore, towards the end Ainz starts to use 'talku no jutsu' like as if this anime is Naruto..... also episode preview seems to show that the next episode is just going to be Ainz talking to Shalltear and then they will have an emotional reunion which will piss me off.....

Also Shalltear's armour was literally the lamest armour I've seen in all of anime... it just looks soo... unstylishly boring and uncolourful(all red, srsly?) they could've tried on that at least... esspecially since half the episode time the camera is focused on her and her armour....
I am a human.
Sep 22, 2015 1:20 PM

May 2013
I liked quite a lot the episode, specially when we learn Albedo supports Ainz EVEN if she knows he is lying about having the fight won before it has even started.

What is always a letdown is coming to this thread and reading all the whining from light novel readers, this is another example of fans badly HURTING the franchise, since any causal that comes to this threads most likely will NOT watch this series due to all the negative comments.

As someone has already said, this never had the Fate/Zero budget level, it approaches chuunibyou level of delusion to watch this series having such a high bar, it is as dumb like watching an indie movie expecting blockbuster budget levels. Of course, if someone tells me it can be done better with said budget levels, show us your film industry credentials if you expect us to believe you know better than professionals that make their living in the animation field.
Sep 22, 2015 1:22 PM

May 2015
Dextix said:
The imagination and expectation train strikes again.

You know. Im glad i havent read the Novel, why? Because my expectations would be different.

I see a lot of comments that LN did it bettter that it was better and that anime is really bad because it doesnt show everything that is in LN.

Look guys.

Those who read the LN.

You will never like the anime adaptation, why do you even bother watching? The whole purpose of books is for you to read and imagine action happening for yourself. When you read the LN you see one thing but others see other things. But when you watch the anime and it doesnt go how you imagined it you start whining.

Please, considering the budget the makers had on this, they did a really good job, for me, it was awesome, the whole fight went almost exactly like my D&D games went. They cant include everything that you liked or that for you seemed important. They cant make animations that you personally like.

Just enjoy the anime, and if you read the LN, dont expect everything to be catered to your vision.

pretty much what i think every time i see a disappointed light novel reader comment
Sep 22, 2015 1:22 PM

Nov 2011
Well reading all the comments here motivated me to read the novel.

Anyone have a link?
Sep 22, 2015 1:24 PM

Apr 2008
kurikinton said:
Dextix said:
The imagination and expectation train strikes again.

You know. Im glad i havent read the Novel, why? Because my expectations would be different.

I see a lot of comments that LN did it bettter that it was better and that anime is really bad because it doesnt show everything that is in LN.

Look guys.

Those who read the LN.

You will never like the anime adaptation, why do you even bother watching? The whole purpose of books is for you to read and imagine action happening for yourself. When you read the LN you see one thing but others see other things. But when you watch the anime and it doesnt go how you imagined it you start whining.

Please, considering the budget the makers had on this, they did a really good job, for me, it was awesome, the whole fight went almost exactly like my D&D games went. They cant include everything that you liked or that for you seemed important. They cant make animations that you personally like.

Just enjoy the anime, and if you read the LN, dont expect everything to be catered to your vision.

pretty much what i think every time i see a disappointed light novel reader comment

I'm a light novel reader and I think this episode was not really all that bad all things considered. Some things will never be properly conveyed visually. And there are adaptations out that that are light years worse than this.
Sep 22, 2015 1:28 PM

Feb 2015
SkullProX said:
I thought Ains is much stronger, but he cant beat his "servant" easily? I mean, how is he the guild leader, i bet peroloncino is much stronger than him...

I think they said some tips in the beginning.
1) Shalltear being the first, second and third floor guardian is due for some reasons.
2) Momonga mostly was a "rol-playing" character. So it was a midle tier player, but thanks to his equipment, he stood taller.
3) Shalltear's skillset is effective against magic caster.
4) Shalltear is able to close-range combat + Healing power of the lance.
Other stuff that I don't remember quite well. A lot of text to remember all that.
Sep 22, 2015 1:43 PM

May 2013
ichii_1 said:

Mah, he should beat Shaltear, with a big stick, if you know what I mean >: )

Nezperdian said:

Against magic-users AND undead (as in, Lichs), it is like she was created just to kill Ainz.
Sep 22, 2015 1:44 PM

Apr 2008
mangamuscle said:
ichii_1 said:

Mah, he should beat Shaltear, with a big stick, if you know what I mean >: )

Nezperdian said:

Against magic-users AND undead (as in, Lichs), it is like she was created just to kill Ainz.

Ainz considers that possibility seeing her display all those surprise skills at the start of the fight
Sep 22, 2015 1:51 PM

Jul 2009
ichii_1 said:
SkullProX said:
I thought Ains is much stronger, but he cant beat his "servant" easily? I mean, how is he the guild leader, i bet peroloncino is much stronger than him..
Shalltear is just a really really bad matchup for ainz (probably created that way on purpose to screw with ainz XD)
Notice he couldn't use any summons.
I don't know... I don't think Peroloncino made Shalltear to mess with Momonga or the other non-humanoid/undead PCs of Ainz Ooal Gown.

I think it's more likely that Shalltear was made to prevent other undead (and otherwise holy-weak) players/guilds from being able to breach Nazarick. Likewise, entering a "dark/evil/etc" dungeon, you wouldn't think to bring holy-resistant items/armor. Being the first boss who uses holy damage gives more versatility to the dungeon as well. It's also possible as a ploy to make people think the damage they'll receive throughout the dungeon might be holy, or even to make people swap items like crazy. If you forget to switch for the next boss, boom you're dead typed-AoE-attack!

Shaltear is the 1st~3rd floor master to be on equal grounds with the other floor masters. The saying how "things get more difficult the further in you go" is thus disproven; things will be hard throughout the entirety of the dungeon, that is their guild hall.
Sep 22, 2015 1:56 PM

Aug 2015
The fight was ok I guess. Shalltear is op, but Ainz got things under control.
Sep 22, 2015 1:56 PM

May 2010
Greater Hardening

Penetrate up

:D
Sep 22, 2015 2:03 PM

Feb 2015
DAMN IT!! This is one hell of a showdown.
Like i was seeing a battle of the gods.
But i feel bad about shalltear. i know she is a disgusting and creepy girl , but she likes him , and what if she know the fact that she is fighting Momon and trying to kill the one she loves?
Hahaha... Suddenly become romantic :D

All this freaking spell though...

The battle still continue though.
The big one will be coming next week!!
Can't wait to see the next episode!!!
YizelTroSep 22, 2015 2:07 PM
Sep 22, 2015 2:12 PM

Jul 2011
Hooray for legit female armor and magicians fight.
Sep 22, 2015 2:13 PM
Oct 2013
Axelucard_ said:

The LN didn't explain it either.

That number of spells though...
Sep 22, 2015 2:21 PM

Dec 2014
Would've liked some explanation for the skills and spells used. It feels awkward not knowing what effects they have.

I like how up till point Ainz has been portrayed as this OP being, but there are times when he himself has trouble dealing with a situation.

barmar said:
"The world died. It was not a figure of speech. Everything had died. In front of his eyes, the Einherjar turned into a white mist and began to crumble. Even the lifeless construct had died instantly. Likewise, Shalltear’s kin, succumbing to a power that they could not resist, began to die out. But it did not end there. Even the air that was devoid of life died and turned the 200 meter diameter into a space where breathing was impossible. If there had been a being here who needed to breathe in order to live, the dead air would have contaminated the lungs and ended its life.

Not only that, the land died as well. With Ainz at its center, an area measuring 200 meters in diameter instantly turned into a desert. In a world where only death existed, the only thing left moving was Ainz and Shalltear. Ainz’s secret weapon, ‘The Goal of All Life is Death’, it strengthened the instant death effect of spells and skills to the point where even those with complete immunity were killed. A method to defend against it was to, like Shalltear, deploy a self-resurrection effect and so on. It was also the reason why even inanimate objects like the air and land had died. Although its effects weren’t to this extent in Yggdrasil, in the real world, it was much more clearly pronounced in the form of granting ‘Death’ to all equally"

^This awesome spell turned into a white screen lol apart from a few scenes it was pretty bad.

You just made that scene way better than it was.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

434 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 2, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

332 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.