Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
May 21, 2013 10:02 PM
Jul 2012
All you have to do to show I'm utterly and completely wrong, and you're not a know nothing know it all, is show that Ehrenfest's Theorem does not say quantum mechanics simplifies to Newtonian. But you haven't, instead knocking down strawmen, projecting your inability to debate and other faults onto others, and in general being functionally illiterate.

I'll repeat yet again "And calling something ad homiem doesn't make it so. Or perhaps you'd grace us with your wisdom on how the laws of physics are so easily overturned. You could start with how Ehrenfest's theorem doesn't show that quantum mechanics is a "minor" refinement of Newtonian mechanics, or maybe how new theories don't have to account for all the experimental evience of the old because - well, I don't know everything like you do."
Show one example of an experimentally verified physical law, later "overturned" that backs up your claim "future discoveries won't find ways to deal with it more efficiently, if not circumvent it"

As for your claims about deflecting: If it hits and stops, delta_P = mv, if it hits and bounces back ("deflection"), delta_P = 2*mv. Unless Ledo's suit is shaped like sloped armor, those are the only ways to alter its course. That would've been obvious is you actually knew what conservation of momentum was.

Pointing out that a car engine can't run on water, explaining the 2nd law of thermodynamics, and then calling ignorant, prideful, and whatnot when they pridefully, ignorantly, and whatnot claim future science will make it possible isn't ad homiem, it's a simple description.

1: It is impossible for the rest mass of an electron to be 1 kg, 1 > 0, etc
2: Physical laws are very rigorously tested to find where they're valid: In the realm of quantum mechanics or relativity, it is impossible for Newtonian equations to be as accurate.
3: To butcher Lagrange (and most physicists) "I have no need for that hypothesis" (that being magic)
So, what exactly was your point?
May 21, 2013 10:33 PM

Apr 2013
AirStyles said:

Does no one remember that Ledo and co left earth because it was frozen? And that there are historical record of Ledo's people leaving earth?

Or did people just ignore episode 4~6 because there's no pew pew laser action in it?

Heh. This. If you check back on my last post, you'll note that while I agree with possible time travel, it pretty much has to be into the future for this reason.

As for the gun pointing situation, look back to episode 3 when Ledo asks why they even own guns in the first place.
-If someone feels like it, they could rob you of your life.
-Pirates use that threat to try to get people to do what they want.
-And so our attitude is that we're not just gonna roll over and die for them.
-Displaying arms to each other is a kind of negotiation in itself.

It goes on about how actually killing doesn't bring any good to either side, and Ledo acknowledges that he understands. This is exactly what she was doing when she pulled the gun on him: she was negotiating with him. The settlement was if the squid attacked, she would let him fight. If not, he had to play by her rules.
May 22, 2013 12:10 AM

May 2012
The show is finally getting good. Can't wait to see what the end was all about.
May 22, 2013 7:15 AM
May 2013
To cut speculation about Ledo`s suit- I don`t think it is bulletproof. First of all Ledo is a pilot, not fighter, therefore they would put an accent on other things. Its all about enviroment. In outer space bulletproof suit isn`t needed, while there is lots of other, more important issues to deal with. Also things like bullets aren`t probably known by Avalon`s civilisation.
As for Megane- chan- I still think she did it right. You ignore the fact Ledo didn`t listen to anyone, he wouldn`t listen to her logical explenation either while he activate his soldier mode. His reckless behaviour put in danger whole fleet. She doesn`t have much choice.
May 22, 2013 7:35 AM

May 2013
CallMeIshmael said:
All you have to do to show I'm utterly and completely wrong, and you're not a know nothing know it all, is show that Ehrenfest's Theorem does not say quantum mechanics simplifies to Newtonian. But you haven't, instead knocking down strawmen, projecting your inability to debate and other faults onto others, and in general being functionally illiterate.

I'll repeat yet again "And calling something ad homiem doesn't make it so. Or perhaps you'd grace us with your wisdom on how the laws of physics are so easily overturned. You could start with how Ehrenfest's theorem doesn't show that quantum mechanics is a "minor" refinement of Newtonian mechanics, or maybe how new theories don't have to account for all the experimental evience of the old because - well, I don't know everything like you do."
Show one example of an experimentally verified physical law, later "overturned" that backs up your claim "future discoveries won't find ways to deal with it more efficiently, if not circumvent it"

As for your claims about deflecting: If it hits and stops, delta_P = mv, if it hits and bounces back ("deflection"), delta_P = 2*mv. Unless Ledo's suit is shaped like sloped armor, those are the only ways to alter its course. That would've been obvious is you actually knew what conservation of momentum was.

Pointing out that a car engine can't run on water, explaining the 2nd law of thermodynamics, and then calling ignorant, prideful, and whatnot when they pridefully, ignorantly, and whatnot claim future science will make it possible isn't ad homiem, it's a simple description.

2: Physical laws are very rigorously tested to find where they're valid: In the realm of quantum mechanics or relativity, it is impossible for Newtonian equations to be as accurate.
3: To butcher Lagrange (and most physicists) "I have no need for that hypothesis" (that being magic)

I've 0 comprehension of all the scientific facts and theories you're throwing out here and quite frankly i don't really care since it's pretty much using common sense/guessing to assume Ledo is far more advanced than them. It's not unlikely that the technology he possesses (we have no clue how) could prevent him from dieing or even being harmed by simple bullets.

But that's not even the point, i don't even understand why you're focusing so much on these facts, trying to overwhelm us with your scientific knowledge or something ? i've read posts of everyone and if there is someone arrogant here, you should look at yourself before pointing fingers.

Also...

It's very irritating to read you, please stop being rude to others simply because they disagree with your opinion (or you can't comprehend theirs).
So please, drop the quantum physics along with the apparent frustration and let's get back to anime talk, shall we ?
DarkbentoMay 22, 2013 7:52 AM
I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don’t hesitate to call.
May 22, 2013 7:47 AM

May 2013
Colascka said:
To cut speculation about Ledo`s suit- I don`t think it is bulletproof. First of all Ledo is a pilot, not fighter, therefore they would put an accent on other things. Its all about enviroment. In outer space bulletproof suit isn`t needed, while there is lots of other, more important issues to deal with. Also things like bullets aren`t probably known by Avalon`s civilisation.
As for Megane- chan- I still think she did it right. You ignore the fact Ledo didn`t listen to anyone, he wouldn`t listen to her logical explanation either while he activate his soldier mode. His reckless behavior put in danger whole fleet. She doesn`t have much choice.

What annoys me about that woman is not the reasons that drives her to act, of course she's right to take action and avoid what could possibly be the destruction of the entire fleet. However what i find rather "dumb" is the way she proceeds to do so, pointing guns in a dissuasive way is something that's likely to be common among her own people, but she's dealing with a freaking Alien that can wipe out her entire fleet without any effort at all !
I know she's desperate, but shouldn't she be more frightful and careful, considering the possibility that he might turn against them, does she lack so much diplomatic skills/common sense that she can't even think of anything better than pointing pointless weapons against a far far stronger opponent ? Remember, he was indoctrinated to fight hideazu, i doubt his brief time with the fleet can melt away an entire life of brainwashing. Thus calm negotiations and logic, even if they might not have worked, would have been a far smarter choice to begin with. As someone explained it far better than me in previous posts, even if he had no way of protecting himself against those bullets, seeing them using violence (even in a dissuasive way) against him, won't do them any good for future relations.
DarkbentoMay 22, 2013 8:10 AM
I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don’t hesitate to call.
May 22, 2013 10:43 AM
Feb 2013
Darkbento said:
CallMeIshmael said:

I've 0 comprehension of all the scientific facts and theories you're throwing out here and quite frankly i don't really care since it's pretty much using common sense/guessing to assume Ledo is far more advanced than them. It's not unlikely that the technology he possesses (we have no clue how) could prevent him from dieing or even being harmed by simple bullets.

But that's not even the point, i don't even understand why you're focusing so much on these facts, trying to overwhelm us with your scientific knowledge or something ? i've read posts of everyone and if there is someone arrogant here, you should look at yourself before pointing fingers.

Also...

It's very irritating to read you, please stop being rude to others simply because they disagree with your opinion (or you can't comprehend theirs).
So please, drop the quantum physics along with the apparent frustration and let's get back to anime talk, shall we ?

Hm. Well, purely on the scientific front, I must side with Callme. When I saw the beams being reflected in mid-air, I was also going like...myeah, right. The laws of nature are NOT that easily overcome; light simply does not bend or reflects without something that does the bending, and just because one calls it 'reflecting (or refracting?) beams' something has been explained. And this has little to do with advancement of scientific knowledge, since laws of nature are not a matter of advancement before they can be broken, rather it's a fundamental impossibility. And more complete understanding of those laws (it's true we haven't found the theory of everything yet) is not going to overturn the preceding theories, in the sense that all of the preceding accepted theories suddenly become invalid, *unless* in the *very specific* area's where our current theories do not work anymore (aka, in the singularity of a black hole, for instance). One COULD surmise that, if it were laserbeams, they could be bend by the appliance and creation of black holes or extremely strong gravitational waves created by some future tech, for instance. Unlikely, but possible.

But then the question rises why he doesn't just use those black holes or waves directly. He could just perforate the ships with black holes, or let them crumble with his gravitational waves, then.

However you look at it, if he has the power and the tech to bend light, he could use that power far better and more efficiently directly. It's difficult to put it into a contemporary analogy, but it would be like firing a bullet that bumps into an arrow to make the arrow change its direction.

It makes no sense, thus.

However, as far as I'm aware, and providing some leeway to an SF-anime, it's not directly stated that it ARE laser- or lightbeams. The translation says 'beams', not what kind of beams; we just assume it's lasers. But, it could rather be something else, such as plasma beams. Since those exist of ions, and those are charged subatomic particles, a far more plausible candidate can be found for changing the direction of this kind of beam: magnetism. This would not require huge amounts of power (and certainly not compared to the original output of the beams) like with gravitational devices and concepts, and while the process of changing it's course at a certain moment in mid-air would require an unknown mechanism (the most likely would be that the beam itself carries the magnetic impulse with it, and 'overloads' - creating a deflecting magnetic field - at precise moments) and very minute calibrations and calculations, at least it's far more feasible and likely than having the power to bend light, yet using lasers to attack anything.
AnimageNebyMay 22, 2013 11:01 AM
May 22, 2013 11:32 AM
Oct 2012
The problem with the sub-commander's actions are not whether what she did was smart or not, but rather that what she did seemed out of character with how she has been portrayed.

Had for instance she been one of the people who held the Hideazu to be sacred, then her actions would have made perfect sense even if, in the end, her actions were counter-productive. People don't always act rationally when they see someone being sacrilegious.

However, as the episode showed, she was not one of those people. Throughout this show she has been shown as the person who was cautious, practical, who always sought to defuse situations not exasperate them. Even when talking about those who did hold the Hideazu sacred, her wish was that they wouldn't start something that couldn't be stopped. She was worried about this because she knows how dangerous Ledo could be if provoked (because he told her what he could do).

That was what made what she did wrong. That wasn't her character. She is not one who resorts to threats or violence, she is not one to react in such an unthinking manner. Of all the people in the boat she is the one who best understood both what Ledo was capable of and had the experience to understand what he was willing to risk to achieve his goals (she had the example of her father to remind her that some people are willing to trade their lives for what they believe in (for her father the fleet)). Yet because the author wanted a dramatic scene, he threw her character aside to create that false confrontation.

I know that I sound like I am beating a dead horse (I call him Tabi), but this is yet another example of the writer not being faithful to the story he has told.
May 22, 2013 11:46 AM
Feb 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
The problem with the sub-commander's actions are not whether what she did was smart or not, but rather that what she did seemed out of character with how she has been portrayed.

Had for instance she been one of the people who held the Hideazu to be sacred, then her actions would have made perfect sense even if, in the end, her actions were counter-productive. People don't always act rationally when they see someone being sacrilegious.

However, as the episode showed, she was not one of those people. Throughout this show she has been shown as the person who was cautious, practical, who always sought to defuse situations not exasperate them. Even when talking about those who did hold the Hideazu sacred, her wish was that they wouldn't start something that couldn't be stopped. She was worried about this because she knows how dangerous Ledo could be if provoked (because he told her what he could do).

That was what made what she did wrong. That wasn't her character. She is not one who resorts to threats or violence, she is not one to react in such an unthinking manner. Of all the people in the boat she is the one who best understood both what Ledo was capable of and had the experience to understand what he was willing to risk to achieve his goals (she had the example of her father to remind her that some people are willing to trade their lives for what they believe in (for her father the fleet)). Yet because the author wanted a dramatic scene, he threw her character aside to create that false confrontation.

I know that I sound like I am beating a dead horse (I call him Tabi), but this is yet another example of the writer not being faithful to the story he has told.

Nooooeees! Not the horsie!!

:~(
May 22, 2013 12:09 PM

Mar 2012
Her actions were so stupid that they prevented the destruction of her fleet...

Yeah. She's a total idiot. A real retard. Unbelievable how stupid she is.

*facepalm*
Let's go bowling.
May 22, 2013 12:40 PM
Oct 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:

*facepalm*

Humm, here's a thought. I read a story about how a lion will lay down with a lamb. How about you take a lamb up to the lion and see what happens? I mean the story says its okay, so anyone pointing out that this isn't what would happen are just being stupid.....

Besides, it was still out of character.
Takuan_SohoMay 22, 2013 12:49 PM
May 22, 2013 1:01 PM

Dec 2012
This episode continues the quality from the previous ones. Pacing is still average with not much happens. However, if people had expected something fast like SnK, they would have come to the wrong place :D
May 22, 2013 1:30 PM

Jan 2010
ThangLong said:
This episode continues the quality from the previous ones. Pacing is still average with not much happens. However, if people had expected something fast like SnK, they would have come to the wrong place :D

Agree! This is one of those ton of series where people can debate about their theory and argument what is right and what is wrong....I'm enjoy sitting here with popcorn. You guys is AWESOME! *I surely will lose in this debate if I join*

May 22, 2013 1:44 PM

Dec 2012
^ you do? lol how's about vote in my polls?! xD
May 22, 2013 1:53 PM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

*facepalm*

Humm, here's a thought. I read a story about how a lion will lay down with a lamb. How about you take a lamb up to the lion and see what happens? I mean the story says its okay, so anyone pointing out that this isn't what would happen are just being stupid.....

And what in this show has given you the indication that Ledo would ignore them and/or wipe them all out? And since the person he is closest to/with (Amy) was unable to convince him using words, it seems using guns/force would be the last resort. Funny thing is, that exact situation happens all the time in the real world, and therefore is not unrealistic. When left with no option, facing almost certain death, people will usually pull out guns/weapons and try force. Of course she knows that force probably wouldn't work, so she gambles on Ledo not being willing to press the issue to that point. Her only other option is certain death. If Ledo flew off and tried to attack the Hideauze, her entire fleet would probably have been utterly destroyed. Everyone and everything she loves would be completely annihilated. Her pulling a gun and saying: "If you want to do something to destroy us, you'll have to go all the way through with it." is the perfect response. Ledo isn't a diplomat. He's a soldier. He knows that force is a viable negotiating tactic. He respects the use of force. He's not the type of person to stand around arguing over the ramifications.

How was it out of character? Where in this show has she shown that she wouldn't be willing to kill/be killed to protect her fleet?

She is not one who resorts to threats or violence

When was that established?
Let's go bowling.
May 22, 2013 2:12 PM
Oct 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:
And what in this show has given you the indication that Ledo would ignore them and/or wipe them all out?

You mean outside of wiping out the pirates and butching the Whalesquid. Ledo's entire mental framework is to "kill the enemy". You may be different, but I tend to view anyone who would pull a gun on me as an enemy.

StopDropAndBowl said:
that exact situation happens all the time in the real world, and therefore is not unrealistic.

Didn't say it was unrealistic, I said it was out of the sub-commander's character.

StopDropAndBowl said:
Of course she knows that force probably wouldn't work, so she gambles on Ledo not being willing to press the issue to that point.

Go back and listen to what she said, that wasn't a gamble that was poking the tiger with a stick. And it was out of her character.

StopDropAndBowl said:
Her only other option is certain death. If Ledo flew off and tried to attack the Hideauze, her entire fleet would probably have been utterly destroyed.

Actually there was a third option. Send Ledo out to attack them once they pass and then get the fleet out of the way while they butcher each other. Ledo is a threat, the Whalesquid are a threat, kill two birds with one stone. That actually would have been more in her character.

StopDropAndBowl said:
He respects the use of force. He's not the type of person to stand around arguing over the ramifications.

You have never been a soldier have you? They tend not to like people pointing guns at them because they know all too well what they can do.

StopDropAndBowl said:
How was it out of character? Where in this show has she shown that she wouldn't be willing to kill/be killed to protect her fleet?

Oh, I have not doubt that she would kill/be killed to protect the fleet like her father, that is within her character, acting rash isn't within her character.

She is not one who resorts to threats or violence

When was that established?
Reaction to Ledo killing the Pirates, her reaction to the news of the pirate fleet and how to deal with it, her unwillingness to use Chamber to destroy the pirate fleet, her reaction once they defeated the pirates.
May 22, 2013 2:26 PM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

You mean outside of wiping out the pirates and butching the Whalesquid. Ledo's entire mental framework is to "kill the enemy". You may be different, but I tend to view anyone who would pull a gun on me as an enemy.

That would be a foolish attitude, especially for a soldier. When approaching a position, a guard may challenge a soldier and "pull his/her gun" on them, does this make them an enemy? Nonsense.

Besides, Ledo has repeatedly shown an unwillingness to destroy the fleet and/or put them in danger.

Go back and listen to what she said, that wasn't a gamble that was poking the tiger with a stick.
How so?

Actually there was a third option. Send Ledo out to attack them once they pass and then get the fleet out of the way while they butcher each other. Ledo is a threat, the Whalesquid are a threat, kill two birds with one stone. That actually would have been more in her character.

What happened the last time Ledo killed one of them? A pod came up to the fleet and swam directly below it. She would have no reason to believe that any further aggression would not lead to them coming back and destroying her fleet.

You have never been a soldier have you? They tend not to like people pointing guns at them because they know all too well what they can do.

I didn't say he liked it, I said he respected it. When Bellows tells him that displaying arms is it's own form of negotiation, he shows an understanding, and even further, shows approval of the concept. Besides, being a soldier would mean ignoring your little discomforts in the pursuit of continuing your mission in the most effective way.

Oh, I have not doubt that she would kill/be killed to protect the fleet like her father, that is within her character, acting rash isn't within her character.

How was what she did rash? Present me with an alternative way (that actually makes sense) to prevent Ledo from leaving right then to attack the Hideauze?

Reaction to Ledo killing the Pirates, her reaction to the news of the pirate fleet and how to deal with it, her unwillingness to use Chamber to destroy the pirate fleet, her reaction once they defeated the pirates.

All of which leads you to believe that she won't resort to threats of violence when her fleet is threatened? Huh?
Let's go bowling.
May 22, 2013 2:54 PM
Oct 2012
^^Thread is getting too long.

Ledo can instantaneously incinerate people while leaving those standing next to them unharmed, so similar to the pirates, why wouldn't she want him to do that?

In that it is a "taboo" to kill a Whalesquid, this suggestions that people on earth HAVE killed Whalesquid before, so the whalesquid are vulnerable to primitive weapons. So why wouldn't she think that Ledo could kill them?

Besides she knows that they cannot touch Chamber (notice how susceptible they were to the pirates gliders, Chamber can actually fly), so who would be more risky to piss off? The Whalesquid or Ledo?

Not to restart the 3 episode debate all over again (about the reluctance to use Ledo while sending your own people out to die) because it would be in the sub-commander's character not to want to use Ledo. However, this same reluctance would also cause her to be very careful about offending Ledo. As I said, she knows what he is capable of.

If the subcommander had been one who thought the whalesquid sacred, THEN what she did would make sense, but unfortunately she wasn't. A few episodes back she was afraid to offend the Pirate Fleet after Ledo's initial fight, he was the one primarily responsible for their defeat. She would be even more reluctant to offend him.
May 22, 2013 3:22 PM

Dec 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

I just notice this conversation until now so allow me to give my 2 cents.

I disagree with the notion that what Ridgett did was out of her character nor that the stand-off scene was illogical.

First, we all agree that the vice-captain is a well reasoned individual who will do anything to protect the fleet. The seemingly opposing point between these two is the reason some say she is out of character. "How can a well-reasoned person acts like this?" they asked.

Well, the argument for do anything to protect the fleet has been laid out very well by StopDropAndBowl. Drastic situation calls for drastic action. Hence, in the face of certain extermination, her action is consistent with the length she will go to save her fleet.

Regrading argument for well reasoned individual, we have to get back to episode 1 and 2 to see why. Looking at the stand-off between Ledo and the fleet, we see that they were pointing guns at him; and he stood by. At that time, both sides had come to accept gun-blazing as the mutual way of doing serious negotiation. Through the experience, Ledo understood that Gargantians will not shoot him if he is patient with them. More importantly, Ridgett learnt that Ledo accepts this treatment within a reasonable range, and he will not become hostile.

With that mutual acknowledgement, we can move to why pointing gun at Ledo is effective. First, notice Ledo understands that he is much more powerful than they are. Putting aside the fact whether a bullet at close range can hurt him, once he gets into Chamber, it's over. Thus, Ledo's perceived strength is much higher than Ridgett. However, strength can be compensated with will power. Takuan_Soho mentioned the Lion and the Lamb, I will use a counter analogy between the Lion and Porcupine. The Porcupine may not be able to defeat the Lion, but by standing ground and using spines, Porcupine shows that it means business. The Lion then may be scared to leave. If we assume that bullets can do some sort of damage to Ledo, those bullets are like spines from the Porcupine. Gun blazing makes Ridgett looks stronger, indicating that she is in for a battle of will. As a solider, Ledo must have understood and respected that. Therefore, gun blazing is a more effective method to communicate serious business with Ledo, a course of action that makes him comply. Mere crying while talking is not enough as evidenced with Amy actions in earlier scene.

Now, we go to Ledo to see why he did not act hostile to Ridgett. Beside the reasons explained above, Ledo cares for Amy's fleet, which is under imminent threat from Hideauze, and he also cares for his own safety. Ledo is not a stupid solider, he understand that a wrong move from him (causing big noise) will be the end since he cannot fight against such odds. The critical time is to leave right before Hideauze arrives. His windows of opportunity narrows each second he wastes, and Ridgett's actions come at the right time to make Ledo leaving an impossibility.

In conclusion, I see the gun scene as well executed with no characters stepped out of bound from what they normally behave.
May 22, 2013 5:25 PM

Jul 2008
Best episode yet IMO. I love the way they've been able to add some confrontation in the series without it all going to hell and losing the good vibes this series has had until now. Gargantia breaking up was unexpected to me at least and I but I really like it.

May 22, 2013 8:09 PM

Feb 2012
Didn't expected Gargantia breaking up too...
Things are finally heating up~
May 22, 2013 10:21 PM

Nov 2009
ThangLong said:
Takuan_Soho said:

I disagree with the notion that what Ridgett did was out of her character nor that the stand-off scene was illogical.

Same, Ridgett's action was the most logical thing to prevent the destruction of Gargantia fleet. Pointing a gun at Ledo is a kind of negotiation itself, it's a way to put pressure on Ledo so he could rethink what he should and shouldn't do(since the gun wasn't much of a threat to him anyway).

Takuan_Soho said:

Didn't say it was unrealistic, I said it was out of the sub-commander's character.

I believe it was out of what you think her character should be(perhaps you got the wrong idea about her character)]. Most of us (except you) have already agreed on this. It's reasonable for her to take such action against Ledo.
May 23, 2013 5:03 AM

Dec 2009
Ridget pulled a gun as a way of protecting the peace and her own principles, her life be damned. Simple.

The Gargantians don't want to attack the whalesquid because they believe they're sacred, not because they pose a significant threat to Gargantia. So the fleet's safety probably had little to do with it.

Ledo on the other hand decided not to take action, not because Ridget was pointing a gun at him, but because he would lose any future bargaining chips otherwise.
May 23, 2013 6:06 AM

Jun 2009
morrownight said:
Ridget pulled a gun as a way of protecting the peace and her own principles, her life be damned. Simple.

The Gargantians don't want to attack the whalesquid because they believe they're sacred, not because they pose a significant threat to Gargantia. So the fleet's safety probably had little to do with it.

Ledo on the other hand decided not to take action, not because Ridget was pointing a gun at him, but because he would lose any future bargaining chips otherwise.

Did you missed the part where it says Whalesquid do attack when provoked?

If Ledo jump down there, the pods of squid will attack Gargantia, and it's capable of doing a lot of damage.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2013 7:09 AM

Dec 2009
AirStyles said:

If Ledo jump down there, the pods of squid will attack Gargantia, and it's capable of doing a lot of damage.

Well, I don't know...they might attack when provoked, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily capable of doing serious or even fatal damage like the Hideauze in space. The most we've seen them do is immobilize Bellows's robot. They are still underwater creatures, after all... I'm sure they just want to avoid the confrontation and the mess that it would create.

More importantly, if Ledo decides to break from the fleet, that would mean the end of their partnership and since their interests are conflicting, Ledo could eventually pose a threat to the Gargantians much larger than the whalesquid.

So in the end, if Ridget's gun was convincing at all, it would have been Ridget's way of stalling him and saying "stop and think this over, Ledo. Know the consequences of your actions."
tealcactusMay 23, 2013 7:34 AM
May 23, 2013 10:32 AM

Nov 2009
morrownight said:
AirStyles said:

Well, I don't know...they might attack when provoked, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily capable of doing serious or even fatal damage like the Hideauze in space. The most we've seen them do is immobilize Bellows's robot. They are still underwater creatures, after all... I'm sure they just want to avoid the confrontation and the mess that it would create.

More importantly, if Ledo decides to break from the fleet, that would mean the end of their partnership and since their interests are conflicting, Ledo could eventually pose a threat to the Gargantians much larger than the whalesquid.

You could feel a whole pod passing through Gargantia fleet with such a force that even a big ship where Ledo stood could feel. Imagine if they were to be provoked, then we would have a wrecked fleet.

Ledo won't be a threat to Gargantia anyway cause they aren't his enemy.
May 23, 2013 2:28 PM
Jan 2013
it was ok. no big fights :(
May 23, 2013 4:16 PM

Jun 2011
Best episode so far in my opinion. I really liked the development in this episode, hopefully next week can continue to impress.
5/5

May 23, 2013 4:50 PM

Jun 2012
Finally a great episode. The previous weren't bad, but this had some suspense for once.

Looking forward to more from this series ^^

May 23, 2013 8:57 PM

Dec 2009
Takana_no_Hana said:

The Gargantians aren't his enemy? It's not that simple.

Ledo's first priority is killing the Hideauze. If the Gargantians get in the way a second time, who knows if he'll still keep his calm?

Even before Ridget pulled the gun, Ledo told Amy that he would abandon the fleet in pursuit of the whalesquid if necessary. After Ridget pointed a gun at him, the relationship changed. They are no longer on friendly terms.
May 23, 2013 9:54 PM

Jun 2009
morrownight said:
Takana_no_Hana said:

The Gargantians aren't his enemy? It's not that simple.

Ledo's first priority is killing the Hideauze. If the Gargantians get in the way a second time, who knows if he'll still keep his calm?

Even before Ridget pulled the gun, Ledo told Amy that he would abandon the fleet in pursuit of the whalesquid if necessary. After Ridget pointed a gun at him, the relationship changed. They are no longer on friendly terms.

Regardless

Ledo must not set foot in water at the time.

If destroying the relationship between Gargantia and Ledo means they can better secure the safety of god knows how many lives on Gargantia, so be it. They don't have Ledo before, and they survive, ever since Ledo joined Gargantia, Gargantia was at risk of annihilation twice already.

Ledo is not the alpha and the omega, to the people living on Gargantia, Gargantians are.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 23, 2013 10:57 PM

Dec 2009
AirStyles said:
Regardless

Ledo must not set foot in water at the time.

If destroying the relationship between Gargantia and Ledo means they can better secure the safety of god knows how many lives on Gargantia, so be it. They don't have Ledo before, and they survive, ever since Ledo joined Gargantia, Gargantia was at risk of annihilation twice already.

Ledo is not the alpha and the omega, to the people living on Gargantia, Gargantians are.

Again, Ledo is not the one in danger. The Gargantians do not have the upper hand; they are the ones who are vulnerable in this situation.

Ridget's gun is an appeal to reason, not a display of actual force. There is no one who can stop Ledo from doing what he wants to do should he decide so.

The only reason Ledo did not attack the whalesquids is because he was not yet resolute on severing the relationship. He is giving them another chance to convince him that there is merit in letting the whalesquids live, namely, to prevent the fleet from suffering collateral damage. However, the Gargantians themselves are not essential to Ledo's survival nor his purpose.

At any time, Ledo could decide to break away from the fleet and essentially do what he pleases, or whatever suits his purposes. And since the next episode is called "Separation", we all know what's going to happen. Ledo is going to team up with Pinion and Flange to search for the ruins and kill any whalesquids that get in the way. The Gargantians won't be able to do anything about it.

In fact, if the captain manages to survive his heart attack and sign the appeal documents, the Gargantians would have no choice but to not only allow but support Pinion/Flange/Ledo in their pursuits, because whalesquids WILL be killed. If you ask me though, the captain really has little choice in the matter to begin with. The Gargantians may be able to prevent Pinion and Flange from doing what they want, but they cannot stop Ledo and Chamber.
tealcactusMay 24, 2013 9:59 AM
May 24, 2013 2:40 AM

Jun 2009
This was the best episode to date. And just when I relaxed a bit, the captain gets heart attack. Damn.
May 24, 2013 5:48 PM

Mar 2012
Well, I mean, Ledo kinda does need a place to stay. I agree that he, Pinion, and Flange are all going to be heading out in the next episode, but without their support, he would be a bit stuck. He could always search for the pirates and see if they could help him out. I don't think Chamber could necessarily just float in the air for as long as Ledo needs, and going underwater now that he's started crap with the whale-squids could be pretty dangerous too. Plus he would need food.

Also, a man has needs beyond those of sleep/food. Three weeks sitting inside Chamber by himself and Ledo will probably start wondering what Amy's doing.
Let's go bowling.
May 24, 2013 6:03 PM

Dec 2009
StopDropAndBowl said:
Well, I mean, Ledo kinda does need a place to stay. I agree that he, Pinion, and Flange are all going to be heading out in the next episode, but without their support, he would be a bit stuck. He could always search for the pirates and see if they could help him out. I don't think Chamber could necessarily just float in the air for as long as Ledo needs, and going underwater now that he's started crap with the whale-squids could be pretty dangerous too. Plus he would need food.

Also, a man has needs beyond those of sleep/food. Three weeks sitting inside Chamber by himself and Ledo will probably start wondering what Amy's doing.

Umm.... Ledo was asleep inside Chamber for 6 months. There are clearly ways he can get nutrition without actually eating food.

I'm sure he can ignore his libido for a while, at least while he's on a mission :\ He's ignored it for most of his life probably.
tealcactusMay 24, 2013 6:26 PM
May 24, 2013 8:06 PM

Feb 2012
morrownight said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

Umm.... Ledo was asleep inside Chamber for 6 months. There are clearly ways he can get nutrition without actually eating food.

I'm sure he can ignore his libido for a while, at least while he's on a mission : He's ignored it for most of his life probably.

Yep, Chamber has said that he could go into hibernation whenever to conserve energy. It's no problem for him. From the way Chamber put it, it also seem like he can hibernate for a ridiculously long amount of time.
Kellhus said:

GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
May 24, 2013 8:52 PM

Mar 2012
morrownight said:
StopDropAndBowl said:

I'm sure he can ignore his libido for a while, at least while he's on a mission : He's ignored it for most of his life probably.
Yeah but the problem with hibernating is... you're hibernating. You can't really be completing a mission if you're dead to the world. I doubt he was really receiving all that much nutrition, probably was just in a state where is body wasn't using any energy so didn't need any nutrition. If he wanted to spend long periods of time in hibernation then that would defeat the purpose of him leaving. He couldn't get anything done anyway.

Plus, now that the whale-squids seem to have taken a notice of him and Chamber, it could probably become dangerous to just sit in the ocean.

As for his libido... well, I get the feeling that female contact hasn't been a huge part of his life before this. He didn't know what he was missing before so he didn't miss it. After taking a definite notice of Amy in a skimpy outfit dancing for him, we could say that ship has already sailed. Sure he could ignore it, but for how long? And never mind just sexual attention: human interaction in general has become a part of his new life. The loss of it would hurt.

Basically: Ledo needs some kind of allies. He needs food and water, he needs shelter, and he needs human contact. Whether he recognizes it or not, he's pretty much stuck with the Gargantians or anyone else who can, and is willing to, help him.
Let's go bowling.
May 24, 2013 10:42 PM

Dec 2009
StopDropAndBowl said:
Yeah but the problem with hibernating is... you're hibernating. You can't really be completing a mission if you're dead to the world. I doubt he was really receiving all that much nutrition, probably was just in a state where is body wasn't using any energy so didn't need any nutrition. If he wanted to spend long periods of time in hibernation then that would defeat the purpose of him leaving. He couldn't get anything done anyway.

Plus, now that the whale-squids seem to have taken a notice of him and Chamber, it could probably become dangerous to just sit in the ocean.

As for his libido... well, I get the feeling that female contact hasn't been a huge part of his life before this. He didn't know what he was missing before so he didn't miss it. After taking a definite notice of Amy in a skimpy outfit dancing for him, we could say that ship has already sailed. Sure he could ignore it, but for how long? And never mind just sexual attention: human interaction in general has become a part of his new life. The loss of it would hurt.

Basically: Ledo needs some kind of allies. He needs food and water, he needs shelter, and he needs human contact. Whether he recognizes it or not, he's pretty much stuck with the Gargantians or anyone else who can, and is willing to, help him.

The human body isn't naturally designed for hibernation... when humans enter a long-term coma they still need sustenance, otherwise they will perish.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100424002627AAWflqb

Which means, Chamber was somehow sustaining him. And if it happens while he's asleep, it might as well happen while he's awake. He's going to be asleep part of the time anyway. Remember that Chamber even takes care of Ledo's waking process (artificially induced).

I honestly don't think he's lusting after Amy or any other of the girls. At least, I don't think of him in terms of a normal human, because he hasn't lived a "normal" life. What you said about human contact makes sense, but for this to be a reason for him to abandon his mission, seems like somewhat of a stretch to me. I'd much sooner believe that he'd cave in to his guilt over endangering fellow humans than his starving for interaction, something he hasn't experienced until recently.
tealcactusMay 24, 2013 10:53 PM
May 25, 2013 12:06 AM

Mar 2012
Well, Chamber does suggest he go into hibernation to conserve energy, so I assume that was because he doesn't have enough food to last him forever. And I don't think they would just put him in a coma, it would probably be something more akin to hibernation. Otherwise Chamber would have to have some pretty huge food/water stores inside of him to keep Ledo alive for multiple extended periods of time. It's possible that he does have that kind of storage space and the systems to deliver it (it would be something like 220 lbs of food for six months, about 150 gallons of water).

While I don't see him abandoning his mission for any reason, I do think he has a definite need for the humans on Gargantia and the things they can offer: food, water, companionship. He could theoretically complete the mission without them, as long as it didn't take too long and he actually does have that kind of stuff in Chamber. But what about after? I guess he could force them to farm for him, or even just wipe them all out and use Chamber to fish and just use Gargantia as a shelter. But then he'd have no human companionship. He'd have Chamber, but even then, he would probably get lonely. And even if he could do it all by himself, it would be much much more difficult and dangerous. Ledo and Chamber are pretty intense, but they aren't all-powerful.
Let's go bowling.
May 25, 2013 12:40 AM

Mar 2012
It was an alright episode, hopefully we get to see more action like in the first episodes.
May 26, 2013 7:40 AM
Jun 2008
morrownight said:
AirStyles said:

evolution.
you gotta love em' xD
Maybe those Hideauze in space aren't much a threat before they start hunting them like wild rabbit .

Its quite weird knowing that killing only one single target would lure the entire swarm.Its like as if their mind are all connected to the hive. This might be very dangerous if its true.
May 26, 2013 12:25 PM

Feb 2012
^^ look up pheromones
Kellhus said:

GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
May 27, 2013 3:34 AM
Feb 2013
This anime finally got out of its filler hole.
May 29, 2013 12:42 AM

Jul 2008
Well here we go. I wonder if the possible spoilers I read will end up being true.
May 29, 2013 4:14 PM

Sep 2012
my goodness, i was expecting an all out war for a minute.

AWHHH watching the commander have that mini heart attack almost put me in tears.

hmm strange i didnt get a end art?
anyone else not get ending art?
i used DeadFish mp4.
May 31, 2013 8:20 PM

Apr 2009
Hmm, so the answer is that the Hideauze have been living on Earth for an extended period of time already. That rules out the possibility of Ledo having lured some to Earth when he fell into the warp since the natives already knew the creatures beforehand.

The time for major conflict has arrived. The weight of each side's arguments are considerable. On Ledo's side, the Hideauze are the unforgivable archenemy of humanity, having consumed and destroyed countless human lives (and worlds, perhaps) in space. From the side of the majority of people on water-Earth, who have not seen the horrors of war in space, these are the whalesquids - untouchable creatures both sacred by tradition and dangerous but otherwise not a threat unless provoked.

This suggests to me that during the time when most of humanity left Earth for space, there could have been a conflict where those who left believed coexistence with these creatures were impossible - and those who remained were probably part of a religion that respected and sought to live alongside them. In any case, the Hideauze seem to display a degree of intelligence that makes them respond in force to the death of one of their own - and are drawn to any active human application of technology nearby.
Jun 4, 2013 2:17 PM

Jan 2011
Ooh yes, things are getting interesting...
But we're over halfway through already, I guess they're plotting a second season.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jun 5, 2013 5:07 PM
Sep 2011
I spent half of the episode yelling "IT'S A SQUID GET OVER IT" and the other half yelling "HE HAS A GIANT WAR MECH FORM OUTER SPACE, WHY ARE YOU SO AFRAID?" It was particuarly hillarious to see them pull guns on the space man that has a giant mech behind him, what where they really going to do.

Apart from that, a much better episode than the last 2. If the show can keep this quality then hopefully it will make a comeback to being as good as I first saw it in th first 3 episodes.

Oh and the ending, I would have took the cliffhanger much more seriously if the commander hadn't brought up the ships security decreasing if an older member leaves. YOU HAVE A GIANT INTERGALACTIC WAR MECH WITH LASERS AND DISINTEGRATION BEEMS!!!! I THINK YOUR SECURITY IS FINE!
Despite the episodes obvious lack of anything resembling logic though I was sitll entertained.
Jun 7, 2013 3:41 AM

May 2013
So, Hideauze = Whalesquid.

Even though I know Ledo and Chamber are really OP, I doubt they would last long against a lot of whalesquids.

"I am a soldier." Poor Ledo; born as a soldier, live as a soldier.

Noo, Fleet Commander! Why get a heart attack?
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Jun 12, 2013 6:49 PM

Jul 2009
Arg. It just angers me so much that EVERYONE on the ship forgets that Ledo has NEVER lived in the same conditions as them. They don't understand that he needs to be told how to do things, and then they go off and blame him. Gargantia, it's your fault for not even trying to explain life properly for Ledo. -____-
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.