Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Nov 2, 2012 8:50 AM

Oct 2012
I'm been wondering - I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question that has been answered - Rijin starting suffering the effects of the "death feedback" after incinerating the little minoshiro, because of the protection mechanism the minoshiro used. However, he got worse after killing all of those Bakenezumi. Satoru killeda bunch of Bakennezumi when running away, but he didn't suffer any after effects. Why is that?
"We should be more proud of NEETs! Love the country that strives to produce NEETs, for world peace, we must stand up! We must find more non NEET-in-waiting elites, learn from each other , form a new Japanese Party, and bravely challenge the evil! Grow, NEETs! Grow like blazing fire! NEETs!”
Nov 2, 2012 10:09 AM

Sep 2012
Joseito1875 said:
I'm been wondering - I'm sorry if I'm repeating a question that has been answered - Rijin starting suffering the effects of the "death feedback" after incinerating the little minoshiro, because of the protection mechanism the minoshiro used. However, he got worse after killing all of those Bakenezumi. Satoru killeda bunch of Bakennezumi when running away, but he didn't suffer any after effects. Why is that?

This is one thing this episode tried to show but because of, in my opinion, incompetent directing, it failed to show why this is the case and worse caused misunderstanding.

First, let me be clear: Killing Bakenezumi does not trigger "death feedback" mechanism.

So what happened to Rijin after he killed the bunch of Bakenezumi?

The answer lies in the smoke that looks like a woman.

Perhaps because of the vision of those images by Minoshiro, Rijin was already suffering from the "death feedback" and was particularly sensitive to human-like images. Somehow the smokes seemed to take a form of a woman, which further exacerbated Rijin's suffering.

However, in anime they made the smoke look too close to a woman form - thus spurred speculation from fans that 1) Bakenezumi is human after all so attacking them create such image which hurts Rijin or 2) Bakenezumi had some secret weapon to deter human like Rijin. But in fact that scene proved none of the above. It is just unfortunate that in anime it was not made clear but instead caused confusion and misunderstanding.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 2, 2012 10:17 AM
Aug 2007
jesus, what crappy animation this episode had..
Nov 2, 2012 10:17 AM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
Joseito1875 said:

This is one thing this episode tried to show but because of, in my opinion, incompetent directing, it failed to show why this is the case and worse caused misunderstanding.

First, let me be clear: Killing Bakenezumi does not trigger "death feedback" mechanism.

So what happened to Rijin after he killed the bunch of Bakenezumi?

The answer lies in the smoke that looks like a woman.

Perhaps because of the vision of those images by Minoshiro, Rijin was already suffering from the "death feedback" and was particularly sensitive to human-like images. Somehow the smokes seemed to take a form of a woman, which further exacerbated Rijin's suffering.

However, in anime they made the smoke look too close to a woman form - thus spurred speculation from fans that 1) Bakenezumi is human after all so attacking them create such image which hurts Rijin or 2) Bakenezumi had some secret weapon to deter human like Rijin. But in fact that scene proved none of the above. It is just unfortunate that in anime it was not made clear but instead caused confusion and misunderstanding.

Oh, I see. I was also kind of speculating that the Bakenezumi were somehow related to the dissapearance of the children...or that they were former humans...but I guess I was wrong. It's just a case of bad directing.

Thanks for clearing things up.
"We should be more proud of NEETs! Love the country that strives to produce NEETs, for world peace, we must stand up! We must find more non NEET-in-waiting elites, learn from each other , form a new Japanese Party, and bravely challenge the evil! Grow, NEETs! Grow like blazing fire! NEETs!”
Nov 2, 2012 1:13 PM

Dec 2009
Things are certainly picking up. The pace seems fine. But is it just me or did the chara designs go through a huge make-up?

Especially Satoru went to full mode good looking bishie mode. But then again in the preview he was pretty much back to normal.

Oh and did they almost have the s-e-x in the prison thingie?

Great episode which proves Shinsekai Yori is one of the best shows this season.

5/5

Sent with Mal Updater
Nov 2, 2012 1:21 PM

Jul 2012
Some poor animation this episde.
Nov 2, 2012 1:24 PM

Sep 2012
Sir_Lexa said:
Things are certainly picking up. The pace seems fine. But is it just me or did the chara designs go through a huge make-up?

There is a new episode director and episode chief animator. The unique style that was brought in caused the substantial inconsistency of the look of the character design and sakuga (still frames and animation). And the directing in this episode seems to have confused many watchers too.

Sir_Lexa said:

Oh and did they almost have the s-e-x in the prison thingie?
I wrote several posts about what happened in this episode. They may have the answer you are seeking:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=140#msg18006707
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=200#msg18010031
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=240#msg18016211
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=509423&show=340#msg18112963

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 2, 2012 1:48 PM

Dec 2009
^^^ I see. Thanks for clearing some things up.
Nov 2, 2012 3:38 PM
Nov 2012
I gotta say... Satoru was incredibly sexy in this episode wasn't he?

KinetaNov 2, 2012 4:45 PM
Nov 3, 2012 12:33 PM

Oct 2010
this was a strange episode
Nov 5, 2012 11:01 AM
Jan 2012
This episode was an awful piece of crap.

- Awful drawing style
- Awful animation (was there even animation?)
- Awful directing

HOW CAN PEOPLE RATE THIS EPISODE 5?

If you didn't notice that something was off, you should seriously consider visiting an optician or step down on drugs because from the start the animation is non-existent, the drawing style is blurry and the colours are completely off. There are better-looking animes from the beginning of the 80s for fuck's sake! And why do they look like they're smiling? Seriously, after 30 seconds I was wondering who the hell were these characters.

Don't fuck with the visual style after only 4 episodes in the series, keep that kind of crap for a filler in the middle when the pace is slow if you really want to let a pothead experiment with the show.

And direction? Seriously? There's not a fucking single transition! And it looks as though they wanted to avoid as much as possible drawing more than 3 moving things on screen at the same time, so even though they're supposedly pursued by dozens of rats, we don't get to see anything. And when they visit the queen in the nest, why is that place so empty? They're being threatened by another clan, where are the guards? Why does my only lasting memory of this episode will be Satoru jumping at Saki every 30 seconds to protect her from something?

Utter disappointment.
Nov 5, 2012 8:17 PM

Jul 2010
I gotta tell the truth... that was disturbing. Especially with the shifting, inconsistent animation.
Honestly freaked me out a bit.. I might not be able to handle this XD
I thought it was all happy but it just got SCARY mann... those monster rats creep me out so much, probs gonna watch a few more episodes, but I'm dropping it if I can't take it lol
Nov 9, 2012 4:49 PM
May 2012
Regarding to the different style of animation that happened in this episode

I am putting my hopes on those Blu-ray discs when this is finished that they remain faithful to the novel.
Nov 9, 2012 5:41 PM

Jun 2012
I barely ever come to these discussions, but from what I hear... The art looked like sand inside a vagina...? Well that must be pretty sexy, cuz I'm a fan of this series' art style, even when it's this inconsistant.
Nov 10, 2012 11:16 AM

Jan 2008
While I can't really say yet since I've only watched a bit past the 'almost sex scene', I understand why they did the sudden change of animation. Obviously they took this step to make the characters look more mature, since they looked like middle schoolers with the old animation and that would be highly inappropriate with such intimate scenes. For the directing tough, no clue. It's too much in your face, literally.
Nov 10, 2012 8:24 PM

Sep 2012
Pindakaas said:
I understand why they did the sudden change of animation. Obviously they took this step to make the characters look more mature, since they looked like middle schoolers with the old animation and that would be highly inappropriate with such intimate scenes..
Even if what you said is true, this should not be done in the middle of an arc. And the art style reverted to the original style in the next episode - just changing the art style for one whole episode just for that minute or so intimate scene is a bit hard to believe.

Nov 11, 2012 8:19 AM

Jul 2009
dropped because so uber boring D:
Nov 11, 2012 10:31 AM

Dec 2011
So uhh.......kids have *** in this series huh?
I thought Saki and Satoru moment in the cage was so weird...
Nov 12, 2012 1:21 PM
Aug 2010
Yea that cage scene was weird, I think it had something to do with what that creature was saying about the orangutan using intimacy to deter conflicts and violence or something. Seems like there's something about the genetics of these humans or something that makes them more intimate with each other. I forgot exactly what the thing said though but I pretty sure it'll probably get explained later, the episode itself made that scene look like its suppose to be strange.

Anyways, I always knew Satoru had a thing for Saki but two kids trying to have sex during that situation is weird, especially since she seems to like the other guy. Even if she's fickle and likes Satoru too, trying to sex him up out of nowhere is still weird.

Other than a few moments of strangeness, pretty good episode. Again, probably still not for people who are looking for something a little more mindless though.
Nov 12, 2012 1:25 PM
Aug 2010
straycat95 said:
So uhh.......kids have *** in this series huh?
I thought Saki and Satoru moment in the cage was so weird...

I don't see what's so strange about the mature content. Despite the main characters starting out as kids (though they do grow up later from what wiki says), this series is very very likely intended for more mature audiences.
Nov 15, 2012 5:52 AM

Jul 2011
walk said:
LOLOLOL saki is such a tease omg. "i'll do it, stay still. wait no nvm --"

I laughed so much
Nov 16, 2012 6:22 AM
Jan 2010
Oh man that was such a great episode. Half the time I couldn't even tell what was going on due to animation fuckups. And I get they're trying to nail down the whole "when we're stressed we fuck" point, but those two characters going from "I fucking hate you" to "let's fuck" in a heartbeat (and never really going back) was just too sudden.
And then there's the whole thing with the priest. Did he die or something? That is fucking bullshit. He could summon the reaper or something and kill a horde of enemies and then he dies because of one shuriken bone throwing fucking blowdog.
this is legendary.

Really, it's not just the artstyle, it's the whole fucking direction. This show was so good until this piece of crap.
StardustReverieNov 16, 2012 6:27 AM
Nov 17, 2012 7:54 PM

Sep 2011
They sure know how to do cliffhangers
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Nov 20, 2012 11:29 PM

Jun 2012
Best episode yet. Loved it!
Nov 22, 2012 10:26 AM

Sep 2009
WTF? I just watched episode 4 and now this.. I thought in the beginning, those are not the main characters bcoz they suddenly got tall and their faces kinda changed. O.O
In the 4th episode, they look like just a little children. In this episode, it's very opposite. Their faces changed.. The colors of their eyes.. The colors of their face.. and their facial expression.. They all changed. They become matured. I like the other one more than this..

By the way, where's Shun? I misunderstood Satoru from Shun bcoz of the graphics.
Dec 25, 2012 2:31 PM

Jun 2012
This series is really suspenseful, I really like it. I like how serious and grave everything is, the very different world, and everything else. I also like the music, seems to fit well.
5/5.

Dec 26, 2012 10:51 AM

Jun 2008
symbv said:
HosannaExcelsis said:
Like it or not, the style of direction, animation, and art isn't an accident or a result of rushed production that the staff will later go back and fix, it's the idiosyncratic personal style of episode director Shigeyasu Yamauchi being allowed to run wild.

Very much so, and don't forget there is also Junichi Hayama, the animation director for this episode, too.

The first ridiculous thing is that al this people dodn't even know that artwork=/=animation.
Animation is the movement you silly uneducated masses. The artwork is what changed in this episode.

Personally i find this look of the characters a lot better. Considering the atmosphere of the anime this kind of look fits them a lot better than the more chipi moeblob look they had before. I wish the whole show was like this. There was no drop in quality at all just different style and this people can't even realize that.
It's annoying how ignorant or blind most people are.

Anyway this show still confuses the hell out of me. The girl stopped the sexual moment because of what she heard. The desire for constant sex like that was put into them according to that library thingy and now she felt that doing it whenever they are stressed was not truly natural since it was put into them by those monkeys the scientist studied. That's why she said we are not monkeys.
Strangely novel readers say she had no such dilemma.

mitch3315 said:
symbv said:
Shoujo_Q said:

He's still with Maria, Mamoru and Shun. We didn't follow them this episode after Satoru and Saki got separated from them.

HE IS DEAD. See? The direction has a problem here. Even this simple scene is botched. The only explanation I can see is that the scene that indicates he is killed may have too much gore. They may put it back in the BD, perhaps.

Am I the only one who got that the monk was killed? As soon as I saw his face mask on the ground the first thought was "he dead".

I thought it was obvious too. I don't know why this people had a hard time realizing it.
MonadDec 26, 2012 10:59 AM
Jan 20, 2013 8:22 AM

May 2011
I'm going to be honest, i didn't notice an art/animation drop at all
Feb 3, 2013 3:35 PM

Dec 2007
If you liked this episode's directing, art and animation, go watch Mars of Destruction. I'm sure you're gonna love it.
Feb 4, 2013 12:43 AM

Jul 2007
RockerXD said:
I'm going to be honest, i didn't notice an art/animation drop at all

^THIS.

Animation quality was the same. The art style was different(and better IMO, since it was reminiscent of Casshern Sins and characters looked more mature and nuanced).

of course haters gonna hate because "Bawwww not moe enough now"
Feb 9, 2013 7:18 AM
Sep 2011
The episode looks a lot better and was almost completely redrawn in the BD:

http://www.kira-reviews.com/blog/archives/13656
Feb 10, 2013 6:04 AM

Aug 2009
^ looks better, I'm glad they changed stuff. Many faces get to look like the actual character designs. The darker atmosphere makes everything more eerie.
Feb 10, 2013 11:35 PM

Feb 2010
lol it looks like that one episode from Shakugan no Shana.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 1, 2013 10:27 AM
May 2012
this ep make me think about drop this anime !!
i don't watch hentai -__-"!! i'll see more tow ep then I'l decide
Mar 20, 2013 9:34 PM

Jul 2012
Kyaa, in this episode Saki and Satoru looks older than I thought they were. Though seeing a really young Saki and Satoru being on the verge of having sex is just no for me. Animation is different and I did notice weird smiles being played here and there.. O.o all in all, though the animation change us sudden, it isn't that bad (however I'm no expert!). Saki's skin tone looks more olive too.. O:

Anyway, seems the priest that was leading then died from the monster that blew up. and the queerats are after them; they end up splitting up, with Saki getting hurt and help from Satoru. Thus, lots of Satoru and Saki moments O: Including some pretty intense moments as well. Both of them meet the Queen queerat of a certain colony (who looks pretty... creepy). Ends with yet more trouble; Satoru yelling Saki's name and it seems that either the bad rats are chasing them or the cave is falling down.

Next episode!^^
xriceball26Mar 20, 2013 9:45 PM
Mar 22, 2013 7:24 PM

Jul 2012
The scenes jumped around too much really. I don't care if the animation and art sucked weren't as good as before episodes. I'm utterly confused. LOL

3.5/5 for just this episode.
Mar 22, 2013 7:27 PM
Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
The scenes jumped around too much really. I don't care if the animation and art sucked weren't as good as before episodes. I'm utterly confused. LOL

BD version fixed that.
Mar 22, 2013 7:29 PM

Jul 2012
deadsea said:
mayukachan said:

BD version fixed that.

I'm watching the old version then. But it's okay. No biggie.
Mar 29, 2013 2:50 AM

Sep 2012
Dat Animation :( ,
5/5 for episode though
Mar 30, 2013 2:47 PM

Feb 2013
omg this show is going nuts.I loved the first chapters but the twists in the plot are driving me crazy

Mar 31, 2013 12:43 AM

Jan 2008
I didn't really mind the Art Change, but had a problem with the animation in the action sequences, like for example when Saki and Satoru jumped/fell into the querrats nest, it just looked weird.

Very interesting to see that the genetics of the humans really were changed to be more like Bonobo Apes xD

Can't wait to watch the next episode. :)
"Truth is always a delusion." - Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Apr 3, 2013 9:00 AM

May 2012
Nice development so far! I'm not a fan of the straight approach of the relation between those two... especially not the actions they're going to take when they were taken prisoners, it doesn't fit the atmosphere at all or at least not with that direct approach, it would be interesting on the long run though!

The latter part was rather nice, interesting stuff happening there and especially the ending was good ending the episode off with a great cliffhanger!

Good episode, but I just hope they don't ruin the setting by putting in stuff like mentioned before!
Apr 8, 2013 1:03 AM

Sep 2008
Whats up with the art style change? Looks like some serious budget-cutting. Unless it was somehow intentional like a particular episode of Gurren Lagann back in the day.

EDIT: Read up about it in this thread. Pretty stupid that this sort of thing happens. At least the BD fixed it.
5layerApr 8, 2013 1:49 AM
Apr 14, 2013 9:39 PM

Sep 2011
walk said:

LOOOL

That was some of the weirdest shit I have ever seen out of all the anime I have completed. Like for real, that was some Hills Have Eyes shit right there! And are they inside someones stomach? Seems that way to me. LOL
Apr 19, 2013 4:56 PM

Sep 2011
walk said:
The whole scene just felt so weird :/

I know, everyone said it already, but really...What the heck happened with the animation and the pacing/jumping? I really hope there won't be any more episodes like this.
This was probably the worst episode so far.
Apr 23, 2013 10:04 AM

Aug 2010
My favorite episode so far. I don't get all the hate but I liked it. I really liked all the Satorou and Saki moments.
May 17, 2013 11:28 PM

Jan 2013
yume00 said:
this ep make me think about drop this anime !!
i don't watch hentai -__-"!! i'll see more tow ep then I'l decide
Lol That's hentai? Wow...

Anyway, yeah the art style was different but I don't think it was BAD. Then again that's just my opinion.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 18, 2013 9:01 AM

Sep 2011
Episode 5 is actually one of favorite episodes, along with episode 25. I loved the Satoru/Saki moment, plus I feel that this episode is when things started to get really interesting. It's too bad that all people take away from this episode was "oh my god, the art was horrible!" (Which, it wasn't. It looked a bit different but it wasn't terrible.)
YayPepsiMay 18, 2013 9:06 AM
May 18, 2013 8:31 PM

May 2012
Sekkusushiyouze, beibii!
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
May 25, 2013 5:44 AM

Sep 2009
I'm actually glad they changed the "sex" scene the way they did. I don't buy the idea that having controversial sexuality somehow makes the story better (and some even praise it because it's different from the norm). I know some would probably argue with me about this but I simply don't care. I have never liked it, even if it's important to the story. I remember reading "Brave New World" and hating the "recreational sex" that was in the book (which included children of a very young age).
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 5, 2012

323 by aliwhytho »»
Sep 23, 11:53 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 28, 2012

466 by aliwhytho »»
Sep 23, 11:17 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1326 by SenpaiTM »»
Sep 23, 3:55 AM

» why did everyone turn gay?

bladewade - Aug 23

14 by BiazinhaBR »»
Aug 25, 5:31 PM

Poll: » Should humans adopt some parts of Bonobo sociosexual behavior similar to Shinsekai yori?

Zarutaku - Aug 15

19 by IhnalakoKaina »»
Aug 21, 7:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.