Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2022 12:26 AM
Sep 2020
The first episode was 10/10 IMO. I love the characters design, and the story really enjoy it even just 1 episode
Apr 10, 2022 12:42 AM
Jul 2020
Awesome episode 10/10.
Its cute bit action smart and wholesome.What more can a guy ask
Apr 10, 2022 12:44 AM

Sep 2011
It was an amazing first episode... But it is so strange to see Anya call Loid "father" lol... They seem siblings :D Loid is too young to be called "father" ahah But I know it is for the plot.
Apr 10, 2022 1:25 AM

Oct 2015
Interesting facts, bilibili have not broadcast the first episode of SxF. Rumor is they cheap out and did not get simulcast license. Kinda wild that SxF have more views from videos despite not having the official broadcast. Social media are going crazy there as it not the first time bilbili pull such a stunt.

The ED is trending at 1st at one point and many MVs have already been made via pirate sites over there.
rizuxizuApr 10, 2022 1:34 AM
Apr 10, 2022 1:40 AM

Oct 2019
definitely gonna read the rest of the manga now, i enjoyed this first episode a lot, the animation and art style were honestly perfect for me, very cool and cute moments that animation did true justice, got some very good feels from this anime, im beyond excited for the next episode to come out
Apr 10, 2022 1:48 AM

Mar 2021
I’m so happy seeing that everybody loves it from the first episode! I almost cried from joy because of how good the adaptation and the beginning of the story is :D TOP TIER

Apr 10, 2022 1:49 AM
Apr 2014
Lots of praise here, and rightfully so. I'm just happy to see SxF gets such a good adaptation, hope they are consistent for the whole cours
Apr 10, 2022 1:51 AM

May 2020
Alright, I get the hype. This show is a banger
Is Blue Box my favorite manga? Not yet...Yes. Yes it is. 

Apr 10, 2022 2:02 AM

May 2018
It's been a while since I watched something as good and unique as this anime :)
Apr 10, 2022 2:05 AM

Feb 2008
Saw the rating and thought it was massively overrated, but after watching the first episode, I was very impressed by how much I enjoyed it.
I just have to see how good Kingdom's 4th season will be, but so far, this one takes the lead.
Apr 10, 2022 2:14 AM

Oct 2016
That was a fucking great premiere! I've been holding off on reading the manga, since I heard the anime was coming, but nothing's gonna stop me anymore! I'll definitely start reading after the first cour, I ain't gonna wait for the second cour lmao.

Funny, wholesome, spy action, count me the fuck in. Loid is cool, Anya's adorable and I cannot wait to meet Yor.
Apr 10, 2022 2:22 AM

Apr 2022
2022 seems like a great year for anime. this was so good. having a family dynamic in a spy-themed storyline makes it all the more fun. can't wait for more episodes. oh, and yes, my heart melted. anya is way toooooooooooo cute.
l_kkeiApr 10, 2022 4:06 AM
Apr 10, 2022 2:27 AM

Jan 2021
Can't say anything other than it's really good.... Anya is so cute and the ED is good too!

Apr 10, 2022 2:32 AM

Feb 2014
Anya, daughter of the season is here. Damn her voice is so soothing and funny. Her VA really did her like a kid. Time for the PEANUTS.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Apr 10, 2022 3:35 AM

Oct 2015
Ya right, best daughter and family for sure. We hasn't really have a best family before it time.
Apr 10, 2022 4:02 AM
No.1 Nahida Simp

Jan 2017
I haven't read the manga but now I understand why almost everyone is hyped on this one. This shit is good. Very, very good.

Anya alone is carrying the whole show to perfection. Tanezaki Atsumi is also doing a good job on voicing her. Damn, the hype did not disappoint.
Apr 10, 2022 4:17 AM

May 2015
LinkedHorizon007 said:
Znra said:
The whole episode was framed and boarded as if it's a late 90s anime, and had layering similar to Noein in some parts. I'm liking where the direction is going for this show. It's a strong first episode, to say the least.

I'm pretty much optimistic that this style will carry on for the rest of the show, given the director's reputation.

Could you please elaborate?

Most of the scenes have animated elements obviously layered over one another over CGI and moving camera which reminded me of how Noein's episodes were made, and some early Gonzo and early 2000s Studio Deen shows used to look like. You can notice this a lot in POV shots in this episode (orphanage, outside the warehouse), and that photo-dealing scene in the first few minutes of the show as well.

As for the storyboard and layout, the camera work pans too much as the characters and objects move in the screen and its constricted space. The camera moves with the character even in a small frame to signify movement and to complement it with the action that's happening in the scene. This is something that you'll see in mid-2000s anime a lot as a cost-cutting option, but in this case, it was paired with weighted action and well-timed anticipation in its character animation. This used to be a thing, but you'll notice how modern shows use lesser and subtler pans and prefer to animate the movement and change the background art with it to signify action instead of relying to pans and zooms while using camera wiggle to indicate tension. That attempted assassination scene in Loid's apartment, and the warehouse battle scene were good examples of this. Another recent example of this is Dororo's first and last episodes which both storyboards and episode direction were his.

The show's layout direction is very distinct to his style, and is almost reminiscent to his episode work in Ranma 1/2 (which were one of the strongest episodes that the show can offer) and even Neo Yokio (he did most of the storyboards for that show).

One can argue that "any director does this", but if you watched some of his shows and episode work, you can easily tell how he uses those. Other directors with similar approach will be Shukou Murase and Kazuki Akane, with Akane using those excessively as seen in Birdy Decode and Noein.

Another interesting tidbit is that Furuhashi did the storyboards for that Noein episode where Karasu and Fukuro's battle was from. That used to be shared a lot.
ZnraApr 10, 2022 4:22 AM

Those with dirty minds will find my Steam pic offensive
Apr 10, 2022 4:21 AM

Feb 2014
I always thought this would be like Kaguya-sama but with a spy setting instead of school.
But I was wrong and this is much better than I thought. This is so cute and wholesome.
Apr 10, 2022 4:57 AM

Jul 2021
This was so fucking good man. Now I understood why everyone was hyping this up so much, really what an episode, enjoyed a lot. The funny scenes were really good, had me laughing out loud and the wholesome scenes were really great as well.

This really was a great first episode, I was invested in the first few minutes itself.

Anya is soooo cute, loved every second of her screentime. Anya best daughter confirmed?

Her telepathy ability is really cool and I think it would be of great use for Twilight to know that she can read other people's mind.

The ending scene where Anya just comes and sleeps next to Twilight was so sweet I got diabetes.

The action scenes were good as well.

Not too much of a fan of the ED though.

Now, child acquired, child passed entrance exam, need to get a wife now.

5/5 episode, can't wait to watch next week's episode. This is the first time I'm rating an anime 10/10 just after watching first episode, my expectations are high now, just hoping it meets them in the next 11 weeks.
TsutanaiFuunApr 10, 2022 5:02 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Apr 10, 2022 4:58 AM

Nov 2017
i got many Hachiman feels here since Loid had the same VA with Hachiman haha
Apr 10, 2022 5:00 AM
May 2021
Finally, the day I've been waiting for has come. I really like this anime. Anya is so cute. I can't wait for next saturday.
Apr 10, 2022 5:01 AM

Aug 2020
Okay that was much better than when I read the manga . Anya's voice acting , the music , and the brilliant directing made this a much better experience .
I dropped the manga after a few chapters , just felt very predictable and boring . But this was much more entertaining to follow
I hope they can keep up with this level of comedic timing . It was brilliant.
Apr 10, 2022 5:01 AM
Jun 2016
Unlike the manga,it isn't exciting nor funny as I thought. I didn't even laugh at all, neither can I feel the thrill of the fight scene.

If you would compare 'turn around and I will kill you' with the manga scene the manga is definitely way more intense.

All I see is just 2 people talking and interacting. I was hoping the conversation between twilight and anya would be funny but instead the anime is focusing on Anya's cute side instead of the funny side.

Quite disappointed so far, overall I feel the anime is just... quiet for some reason. Maybe there's not much BGM?

Will still continue to watch the subsequent episode,hope it change my opinion.
Apr 10, 2022 5:04 AM

Dec 2020
IIIIIIIIIICRIED. OHH MY GOD THEY DID SO WELL WITH THIS ADAPTATION.

i was a bit hesitant when i saw the va casts and heard the trailer but WOAH? THAT WAS PERFECT. animations great too, the action scwnws arw just... GGFFHWJWKDH WOAAH.#??#!#! i cant wait to see thorn princess action scenes😋😋

they also did the comedy parts rly well lol. and the heartwarming ones too.. OKAY THEY DID EVERYTHING WELL🙄🙄🙄 wit n clover you guys absolutely outdid yourselves. i dont know what i was even worried about. i hope the rest of the adaptation continues to strive in this quality
Apr 10, 2022 5:23 AM

Jun 2016
very well animated !!
an this is a banger anime !!
Apr 10, 2022 5:23 AM

Feb 2016
Absolutely loved it, we have a 10/10 quality anime right here.
Anya is overwhelmingly cute and Loid is a true chadman.

I've always wanted to read this manga, but when I was about to do it the anime got announced and I really didn't want to spoil myself, so now I'll read it as the anime goes on and then continue from there, looks so damn good!!!
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Apr 10, 2022 5:29 AM

Apr 2020
Finally seeing this first episode just makes me so happy!! TwT
Loid has the perfect VA, the animation was so pretty. I was smiling the entire episode, can't wait for the next episodes to come out >:3
(the ending was such a banger too LOL)
Apr 10, 2022 5:51 AM
Dec 2021
This is a really good episode!
Apr 10, 2022 5:52 AM

Jul 2021
Awesome first episode. And although lots of ppl are talking about the fast pacing, I didn't personally notice it that much while watching. The art style is clean and beautiful. And Anya... what else can I say about Anya XD. She's already best character.
I'll be eagerly waiting for the next episodes
Apr 10, 2022 5:57 AM
Mar 2022
So far? I love it. The set up really brought up the background in a overall and easy to understand way. The ep did a really good job in introducing the main chars and their relationships. What is left after the ep is a bit, but just enough, of a heartwarming sensation of Loid and Anya's relationship, combining with the ED song Comedy, it left me with a peacefulness and chill of feeling
Apr 10, 2022 6:11 AM
Aug 2015
"Father is a liar" "Mother doesn't exist"
Apr 10, 2022 6:22 AM

Nov 2014
I choked when she nonchalantly said that her mother doesn't exist XD

The relationship between Twilight and Anya is solid. Looks like we'll be finding the mom of the family next week as well, definitely looking forward to see how she fits into the dynamic.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Apr 10, 2022 6:23 AM
Jun 2017
very interesting episode, will watch this one
Apr 10, 2022 6:27 AM

May 2012
Best anime in this season so far !!!
Apr 10, 2022 6:43 AM
Sep 2021
As expected, the starting episode is really great! It started with the introduction of Anya and Loid but after all the comedy performance in the anime was great even it's still just the beginning, I really like how Anya and Loid act as Father and Daughter. I'm looking forward to seeing Yor in the next episode and hoping it will be also a good episode again.
Apr 10, 2022 6:57 AM

Nov 2013
I've watched dozens of Youtubers react to episode 1 and most of them were like "wtf, Loid said he would buy a silencer-pistol for the kid???" - Looks like many don't know that pistol-toys exist lol. Surely Anya wants the real thing, but Loid would never buy her a real one -_- (of course they would never even find a place that sells them to begin with!), why wasn't this obvious for many? I dunno...
Apr 10, 2022 6:57 AM

Feb 2019
Well, that was one hell of an entertaining and wholesome episode. Great production. And damn was Anya extremely adorable. Highly-anticipating what comes next.
Apr 10, 2022 7:10 AM
Mar 2019
Really surprised how Great this was even though i read half the Manga, brought it all back.
Apr 10, 2022 7:15 AM

Jan 2022
Ehem what's with that last part? Could it be a deathflag? Oh come on
Apr 10, 2022 7:15 AM
Jul 2018
Perfect episode!
Apr 10, 2022 7:19 AM
Jun 2021
This anime has some of the most succulent character designs, paired with studio wit’s great animation style. All the characters so far have been loveable and their dynamic will surely only get better!
Apr 10, 2022 7:27 AM

Feb 2014
Even though this has been one of my most anticipated shows this Spring season, I'm honestly surprised at the huge amount of hype that has been generated.

Thankfully, this first episode was as good as I hoped it would be. The pacing was on the quicker side, but assuming that the manga's first chapter was pretty lengthy, I guess I can understand the reason for the pacing being quicker than normal.

The production values from Wit and CloverWorks are great so far, as is the BGM. Loid is ruthless as a spy, but seeing him struggling to learning his ways of looking after Anya was really enjoyable. Speaking of which, Anya is a precious and adorable girl and she deserves all the headpats in the world. She easily got the best laughs out of me in this first episode, that's for sure! XD

I only hope the huge hype doesn't kill the interest for other users here. Aside from that little worry, I look forward to seeing how this show will play out for this season. =)
Apr 10, 2022 7:34 AM

Jul 2021
pretty good first episode but the part where they talk normally and suddenly switch to thinking seemed pretty odd, kind of weird anyways in the next episode yor's gonna make appearance and prolly gonna join the forger family too
Apr 10, 2022 7:53 AM

Aug 2009
I've anticipated this ever since the manga dropped. I KNEW one day it would get an anime adaptation and here we are. I can't even express how excited I am and how much joy this brings! This episode was amazing! I loved everything. I can't wait to see Yor!!

Anya calling him Papa ;-;

Apr 10, 2022 8:30 AM
Dec 2021
Miracles happen wherever Studio Wit goes.
Apr 10, 2022 8:33 AM

May 2021
didn’t realize how anticipated spy x family was, saw a YouTube recommended trailer for it a while back and decided i’d watch it cuz it seemed cute
it really surprised me how into it i was one episode in and then i see on mal how it’s like the hype show of the season i was like lol no wonder
can’t wait for the rest of the season this will be in contention with love is war for me for standout show of the season
Apr 10, 2022 8:42 AM

Oct 2015
This thread deserved to be bumped to the top. The rest of the forum is garbage.
Apr 10, 2022 9:05 AM

Oct 2015
Man. What a way to start things off. Absolutely amazing.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Apr 10, 2022 9:32 AM

Oct 2015
ngl i was grinning ear to ear the entire duration of this ep, also gen hoshino ed is pretty good as usual
Apr 10, 2022 9:35 AM
May 2021
I've been waiting for this anime since last year and watched it three times at this point.

My criticism is the lack of cool but soft atmosphere compared to the manga. It has this generic tone that most modern anime has. It's also actually pretty fast-paced. It didn't take its time to explain Anya's powers. The Narrator just explained Anya had telepathy from the get-go. If I haven't read the manga first, I will definitely get confused and bewildered by her sudden introduction.
Pages (13) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spy x Family Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2022

491 by colino09 »»
May 18, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Spy x Family Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2022

442 by AlxiBoua »»
May 5, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2022

321 by Suwawako_ »»
May 3, 4:07 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2022

402 by Fenc »»
Apr 24, 11:13 AM

Poll: » Spy x Family Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2022

247 by nyxzded »»
Apr 9, 2:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.