Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Aug 10, 2014 4:34 PM

Sep 2011
Slain switches sides, fuck yeah.
Other than that, nothing special happened though. That the captain was Marito's best friends little sister didn't really surprise me and that Inoha came up with the allmighty laws of physics was almost a given.
Aug 10, 2014 4:37 PM

Mar 2013
Does any1 know why Urobutcher stopped being the scriptwriter after episode 3?
Aug 10, 2014 4:55 PM

Oct 2007
mlgx said:

He doesn't really do scripts much anymore. He's not even doing the second Psycho Pass season at all. I think he got promoted to a VP at Nitroplus too and seems to be taking on more of a creative producers role now.

slovak125 said:
Yet, we get to see Lt.'s panick attack at least 2 times every episode or they are wasting minutes on unimportant things like a role assigning or on some girl steering the ship or explaining why mechanics are important (lol). They could have gave us some nice dialogues between Inaho and the princess to develop their characters instead of showing tons of uninteresting side characters while neglecting our protagonists. (Not even asking for someone absorbing on Vers side, that would be apparently too much when they can't handle even main heroes)
I just hope Inaho's sister or Inko dies anytime soon to get things going, because it's starting to get boring.

Woefully unhype moments. Dispense with more of the wailing of the Kobayashi while things are exploding and people are dying. Who needs things like showing characters interacting naturally and showing the actual processes and machinations of the Earth crew mustering their resources!

Admittedly though things on Earth do seem awful quite for Vers declaring outright war. I mean they seemed to do more damage with their independent action in the first episode than they did following the full on war declaration.
Aug 10, 2014 5:02 PM

Mar 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
mlgx said:

He doesn't really do scripts much anymore. He's not even doing the second Psycho Pass season at all. I think he got promoted to a VP at Nitroplus too and seems to be taking on more of a creative producers role now.

Hope things will work out with the new writer (I think its the guy from Boku no Pico???). Is the scriptwriter actually responsible for the whole story development or only limited in writing dialogs with a preset storyline? VP = Vice President?
Aug 10, 2014 5:08 PM

Mar 2012
Slaine! I'm so happy to finally see you in the good side.
Aug 10, 2014 5:13 PM

Oct 2007
mlgx said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Hope things will work out with the new writer (I think its the guy from Boku no Pico???). Is the scriptwriter actually responsible for the whole story development or only limited in writing dialogs with a preset storyline? VP = Vice President?

I'm pretty sure he's done more than just that but for memetic reasons people always center the conversation around that one show. Scriptwriter is exactly the job it sounds like. The story concept is provided by Nitroplus under the pseudonym Olympus Knights with Gen Urobuchi listed as its head. VP is indeed Vice President.
Aug 10, 2014 6:04 PM

May 2014
I can't wait for the next episode! Hope Inaho and Slaine will meet.

Aug 10, 2014 6:51 PM

Apr 2012
Slaine switch to Earth human side?, yeah :D

Aug 10, 2014 7:17 PM

Jun 2013
Keten said:
They may be pushing for making them unlikable jerks who do nothing but feel superior and kill people they think are trash but there is no depth there, there is no complexity there, there is no humanity there.

I would say there is unfortunately way too much humanity there. :/

Kaioshin_Sama said:

I just don't understand why of all mecha shows to take a hardline stance on you pick pretty much the most blatantly commercially oriented and constructed ones and not to mention one of the more kind of soulless ones at that that for a while almost seemed like it was actually heading in the direction of trying to outright undermine and trivialize the things I appreciate most about the real robot genre (interesting characters, complex politics, the feeling of tension in combat, the interplay of philosophies, how force ought to be used) before the new writer took over. I mean is it because of the GRIT? You seem pretty big on the whole GRIT thing, a lot of people seem pretty drawn to this show because of that really and the hype but I mean that's exactly why I liked this episode so much more than just about any other to date because it feels like for once it just side stepped all the blatant audience management and hype stuff and just cut to the having an actual solid episode thing. Its like wow the show isn't afraid to just have some unhype decent character interaction and exposition stuff that isn't directly related to GRIT, I honestly didn't think the show had it in it and really was all I asked out of the show for a change. I mean if it could keep this up I'd really have absolutely no problem just rolling with the show from this point on and enjoying the ride.

I'm not particularly attached to this show. So far it is a solid 8, or 7 perhaps. 5 is a borderline "average" show in my book, so a 7 is above average yes, but it is no 9 (Sidonia) and definitely no masterpiece (08th MS Team, Unicorn). I will defend something if it's being hated on when it doesn't deserve it though, just as I will criticize something that is being praised out of proportion.

I don't really give a shit about this Butcher guy, or any director for that matter. I don't care about the studio, and I definitely don't care about who makes the music, as long as the music is pleasant to hear.

You do care about the director quite a bit, and it does alter how you view a show. It creates a bias that fortunately I am free from. You get too involved with the people behind the product and you suffer for it.
ex_necrossAug 10, 2014 7:32 PM
Aug 10, 2014 7:48 PM

Sep 2013
ex_necross said:
Keten said:
They may be pushing for making them unlikable jerks who do nothing but feel superior and kill people they think are trash but there is no depth there, there is no complexity there, there is no humanity there.

Kaioshin_Sama said:

I just don't understand why of all mecha shows to take a hardline stance on you pick pretty much the most blatantly commercially oriented and constructed ones and not to mention one of the more kind of soulless ones at that that for a while almost seemed like it was actually heading in the direction of trying to outright undermine and trivialize the things I appreciate most about the real robot genre (interesting characters, complex politics, the feeling of tension in combat, the interplay of philosophies, how force ought to be used) before the new writer took over. I mean is it because of the GRIT? You seem pretty big on the whole GRIT thing, a lot of people seem pretty drawn to this show because of that really and the hype but I mean that's exactly why I liked this episode so much more than just about any other to date because it feels like for once it just side stepped all the blatant audience management and hype stuff and just cut to the having an actual solid episode thing. Its like wow the show isn't afraid to just have some unhype decent character interaction and exposition stuff that isn't directly related to GRIT, I honestly didn't think the show had it in it and really was all I asked out of the show for a change. I mean if it could keep this up I'd really have absolutely no problem just rolling with the show from this point on and enjoying the ride.

I'm not particularly attached to this show. So far it is a solid 8, or 7 perhaps. 5 is a borderline "average" show in my book, so a 7 is above average yes, but it is no 9 (Sidonia) and definitely no masterpiece (08th MS Team, Unicorn). I will defend something if it's being hated on when it doesn't deserve it though, just as I will criticize something that is being praised out of proportion.

I don't really give a shit about this Butcher guy, or any director for that matter. I don't care about the studio, and I definitely don't care about who makes the music, as long as the music is pleasant to hear.

You do care about the director quite a bit, and it does alter how you view a show. It creates a bias that fortunately I am free from. You get too involved with the people behind the product and you suffer for it.

I can't agree with your first statement. Though as for your second one. You are fully allowed to enjoy a show however you want. I may disagree with you on a lot of things (And I do not hate the show at all) but if you get enjoyment out of this that I do not then that is cool dude.

I would like to ask you though. Just what about this do you consider to be above average? What does it bring that you've never seen before or if you have seen it before... What does it add to the formula or improve on? I am not trying to trap you or anything I am just curious is all. I know you aren't bothered by the protagonists so that's cool. I just wonder what this series gives you that it doesn't give me.

What about the writing do you like, what about the characters do you like, what about the music, animation, all that stuff.
Aug 10, 2014 7:51 PM
Jun 2014
Slaine's finally gonna be reunited with Asseylum. Shit's getting real.
Kronie is mai waifu.
Enema is my master.
Shadowslave13 is my loli milk provider.
Flume is my dark magic buddy cop sidekick™.
And Afshar was my first MAL friend ;-;

I have coveted these people, so that I may one day sacrifice them in the name of love.
Aug 10, 2014 8:18 PM

Jun 2013
Keten said:

I would like to ask you though. Just what about this do you consider to be above average? What does it bring that you've never seen before or if you have seen it before... What does it add to the formula or improve on? I am not trying to trap you or anything I am just curious is all. I know you aren't bothered by the protagonists so that's cool. I just wonder what this series gives you that it doesn't give me.

What about the writing do you like, what about the characters do you like, what about the music, animation, all that stuff.

Well for that you first have to define "average". When thinking of an absolutely average mecha, Buddy Complex comes to mind.

What matters are visuals, sound, plot, atmosphere and characters.

The visuals Aldnoah definitely has, no doubt about that. The OST is pretty strong as well. The animation is fairly top notch for a TV series.

The Terrans are all decidedly human, which may not make for the most entertaining thing ever but I do appreciate the more toned down characters. If real people acted like your average anime character, they would be in a mental hospital. I'm not going to go into every one of their personalities.

We've already talked about the martians, and we disagree there. I think you may not get what they are trying to do with the martian lords. As far as I can tell, their characters are meant to be completely irrational, bigoted, and power hungry, which are all very human traits. I also think that humans are not as complex as you seem to believe, in fact I would say we are still quite primitive. You seem to have more faith in the human race than I do, let's just leave it at that.

A.Z. doesn't really bring anything new to the formula and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Typical scifi setting and plot. Serious and somewhat gloomy atmosphere, something we are lacking in a lot of anime these days.

So far the episodes are pretty episodic. To me this is a negative and I hope we get more variety, but what they have done so far has not been bad.

This is just what is coming to me off the top of my head. If I actually put some thought into a review then I could flesh it out more, but I'm not going to do that right now.
ex_necrossAug 10, 2014 8:23 PM
Aug 10, 2014 8:47 PM

Sep 2013
ex_necross said:

Well for that you first have to define "average". When thinking of an absolutely average mecha, Buddy Complex comes to mind.

The visuals Aldnoah definitely has, no doubt about that. The OST is pretty strong as well. The animation is fairly top notch for a TV series.

The Terrans are all decidedly human, which may not make for the most entertaining thing ever but I do appreciate the more toned down characters. If real people acted like your average anime character, they would be in a mental hospital. I'm not going to go into every one of their personalities.

We've already talked about the martians, and we disagree there. I think you may not get what they are trying to do with the martian lords. As far as I can tell, their characters are meant to be completely irrational, bigoted, and power hungry, which are all very human traits. I also think that humans are not as complex as you seem to believe, in fact I would say we are still quite primitive. You seem to have more faith in the human race than I do, let's just leave it at that.

A.Z. doesn't really bring anything new to the formula and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Typical scifi setting and plot. Serious and somewhat gloomy atmosphere, something we are lacking in a lot of anime these days.

So far the episodes are pretty episodic. To me this is a negative and I hope we get more variety, but what they have done so far has not been bad.

This is just what is coming to me off the top of my head. If I actually put some thought into a review then I could flesh it out more, but I'm not going to do that right now.

I see... It seems a big part of why you like it is because you simply don't care much about the things I personally dislike. Humans are very complex creatures, if they were so easy to figure out then things would be a lot easier in the world, solving bullying for example would be quite easy (But bullies are not 1-dimensional, they have reasons for being bullies as well). I don't actually have faith in humanity, that ship has long since sailed ever since I was in Grade School. We are indeed primitive and we are indeed evil and vile creatures.

Does that mean that we are only evil and vile? Nope. Does that mean we are 1-note people? Nope. Even the most despicable people to ever exist had good parts to them, or at least some inner conflict of some sort. That is something this show lacks to me personally. It is true that the things you listed are human traits, but if their entire persona is defined by only those things, they aren't exactly interesting nor are they even remotely redeemable. I guess we do just disagree on this though.

Also I wasn't saying not adding anything to the formula is a bad thing, I am just saying that if it doesn't do that, it should at the very least improve on things that are in the formula. Otherwise what point does it have for existing?

You are right that I did not define what Average is. I guess technically "Average" is different from person to person. I view average as a series that you get absolutely nothing from, but it didn't really take anything away either. That is how I view this series, I watch it and I get nothing from it. No interesting characters, no interesting setting, no interesting battles, no interesting music. Even the visuals aren't the best (Though certainly not bad). Everything I've seen in this anime was done elsewhere and better.

Also I disagree about the Terrans.. The only Terran I think is remotely human at all is Marito. He displays conflictions, determination, but is stopped by personal problems. Everyone has problems. Inaho I am not going to go into cause I have already gone into enough on him and frankly I bore myself by repeating things over and over. Slaine is... alright...

In my opinion though, characters do not start being truly human until they pass the stage of 2 dimensions. 3 dimensional characters are those with many different personality traits. After that is 4 dimensional characters which are the ones with actual development. The people who experience something and it changes their personality, shifting it into something new. If characters are only 1-dimensional or 2-dimensional. I consider those fairly average unless they utilize them well in comedy of some sort. Otherwise, making 1-note characters is just lazy writing.

Humans are not 1-note. It is impossible to name 1 human that exists who is 1-note... Even Hitler wasn't 1-note. Unless they are babies but that doesn't count cause they are babies. Lol. I wouldn't even say humans are 2 dimensional because that still only implies they only have 1 thing going for them an they are conflicted about it in some sense. Humans change with experience, that is a fact of life. You are not the same person you were 2 years ago, I can guarantee that. I am not saying ignorance, power hunger, superiority complexes don't exist. I just don't like seeing villains who have their personality ONLY that. They have no room for development, they have no room for sympathy, meaning we can't understand where they are coming from and we can't find them interesting. The Nazi's didn't kill jews cause they were evil and did evil things, they legitimately thought the jews were a threat, they legitimately thought exterminating them was what was supposed to happen. Heck, even despite that, they didn't jump right to jew killing either, they tried to toss them out of the country first because even they weren't so evil to think exterminating people was the right way to go about it right away. (Again not defending them, they are still vile people, I am just saying you can still be a vile evil person whilst having legitimate reasons for coming to those awful conclusions and they clearly were delusional after years of propaganda and power went to their heads.)

Still though. Even if we disagree on this, I just wanted to give insight into how I view average and why I feel it enters that criteria whilst giving a brief explanation as to why I dislike the villains in particular.

Sorry for the Mini-Essay btw... I have a real passion for anime so I go a little overboard sometimes.
KetenAug 10, 2014 8:53 PM
Aug 10, 2014 9:35 PM

Jul 2012
Woot, go Inaho~! :3

So, new Martian Mecha, this time...it looks like it has 6 arms that act as missiles. o-o Whoa, pretty tough. o-o

And, Slaine has betrayed the martians?! YAY! LOL!
Hopefully he'll help out the humans from now one.....
Can't wait for the next episode! D:
Aug 10, 2014 9:43 PM

Jun 2013
Keten said:
-snip-

Well you say you don't like the music nor the battles nor the setting nor the characters which is all opinion and can't really be argued with. I do like a lot of those things.

So your definition of above average is innovative, basically. I don't see it this way at all. The formula exists because it has worked for so long, and while I don't fault shows for attempting to break free from or add to the formula, it has no bearing on how good the show itself is.

AZ doesn't really add anything new, and it doesn't do the absolute best job at what it does, but it does it better than a lot of shows do. I would prefer if shows stopped trying to add to the formula actually, so I thank AZ for that.

As for the human nature and philosophy business, agree to disagree. While the reasons we do things might be many-fold, what we do is still downright primitive and irrational and much like the martians. In fact, much of the time when the martians were on screen I just kept thinking how sad it was that they were so similar to certain groups of people in real life. They were so human it was almost scary. I can't imagine what some fundamentalists or other crazies would do with that kind of power and technology. God help us if that were to ever happen.

As for their motivations, while the website documents made it pretty clear, keep in mind we are on episode 6 of 24 and will undoubtedly find out much more later.
Aug 10, 2014 10:03 PM

Sep 2011
ex_necross said:
Keten said:

Humans are complex. But mangy times human put on a mask, a facade to retain an identity. If you delve deeper into the psyche, you can flesh out the characters better. However, that isn't what this series is trying to do, the Martians having a mask is perfectly acceptable. Not every show has to be the next Evangelion
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Aug 10, 2014 10:10 PM

Sep 2013
ex_necross said:
Keten said:
-snip-

Well you say you don't like the music nor the battles nor the setting nor the characters which is all opinion and can't really be argued with. I do like a lot of those things.

So your definition of above average is innovative, basically. I don't see it this way at all. The formula exists because it has worked for so long, and while I don't fault shows for attempting to break free from or add to the formula, it has no bearing on how good the show itself is.

AZ doesn't really add anything new, and it doesn't do the absolute best job at what it does, but it does it better than a lot of shows do. I would prefer if shows stopped trying to add to the formula actually, so I thank AZ for that.

As for the human nature and philosophy business, agree to disagree. While the reasons we do things might be many-fold, what we do is still downright primitive and irrational and much like the martians. In fact, much of the time when the martians were on screen I just kept thinking how sad it was that they were so similar to certain groups of people in real life. They were so human it was almost scary. I can't imagine what some fundamentalists or other crazies would do with that kind of power and technology. God help us if that were to ever happen.

As for their motivations, while the website documents made it pretty clear, keep in mind we are on episode 6 of 24 and will undoubtedly find out much more later.

Well I wasn't completely writing them off. It's very possible the more prominent ones may get development or backdrop eventually, so I am not condemning the show for good. It is indeed only episode 6 of 24.

Agree to disagree on humans I guess.

I do like innovative ideas but only when they are well executed or at least are something I view to be beneficial to the overall genre or formula. They aren't essential and I at least give credit for them trying something new. I don't really give unnecessary credit to shows that just rehash old ideas. I am fine if people rehash old ideas, I just like it when they give something more to it. I guess that is a little vague soo... An example I guess would be in the case of characters, a typical angsty protagonist is boring and even in some cases annoying but if you give that character a certain quality that not only explains why they are the way they are, but is also relatively new or even realistic then the character suddenly becomes interesting. Shinji would be an example of that I suppose, he is angsty, he is weak, but they went more into his psychology rather than him just being angsty and weak. He was a messed up kid and that's what I like about him.

Regardless, it does seem like we just have different views and I would never hate on someone for that. What you look for in anime is different than what I look for in anime, so of course we are going to have different views on things.

Good talking with ya.
Aug 10, 2014 10:12 PM

Aug 2013
Pretty great episode only problem I had was the major (or whatever rank she is) being the sister of the dead guy. It's waaaay too convenient. I'm hoping they do something interesting with it but I honestly can't think of any good pay off that would be worth such a stupid subplot.
Aug 10, 2014 10:46 PM
Jul 2014
1 thing interesting to note which im surprised no one pointed out yet. Inaho didnt actually "make any plans". He is pretty much just following his sister's orders, switching to HE rounds, being the marksman, and then aiming at the targets that she (and/or inko) point out.
Aug 11, 2014 2:12 AM

Sep 2013
That action was very entertaining, I'm enjoying this show a lot even with all the ridiculousness happening. Slaine had a badass moment in the end.
Aug 11, 2014 2:26 AM

Apr 2009
The more I think about Inaho, the more I can't help but feel is just a bland Gary Stu selfinsert character who drags the entire show down. Same for the rest of the characters, who are badly executed stereotypes that do not make sense.
The mechs do not make a lot of sense either, it feels too superroboty for a show that tries to have a realistic setting.

Overall 6/10 after the first half, most of those points are credited to the production though.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 11, 2014 2:58 AM

Dec 2012
Oh, man. This is just getting more & more ridiculous. What an achievement for Takayama. What an achievement.
I like anime.
Aug 11, 2014 2:58 AM

Apr 2013
Inaho actually messed up?

HOW COULD THIS BE?
Powerful eyebrows.
Aug 11, 2014 3:24 AM

May 2012
10:15 Princess Activator

10:27 I bet the hime'd activate an aldnoah for him

11:12 dat face

13:13 heyy <3

15:14 doriru doriru

7/10 for this episode.
ShirubaasouruAug 11, 2014 7:02 AM
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Aug 11, 2014 5:42 AM

Aug 2013
Of all the characters Marito annoys me the most. Such a pointless character
Aug 11, 2014 6:02 AM

Sep 2011
Keten said:
ex_necross said:

I can't agree with your first statement. Though as for your second one. You are fully allowed to enjoy a show however you want. I may disagree with you on a lot of things (And I do not hate the show at all) but if you get enjoyment out of this that I do not then that is cool dude.

You're spot on about Kaioshin. Phew even went as far as posting in the people page of the guy who was the "chief producer" of shaft, the musician for this series and basically bashing them.

Unicorn is good huh? I might have to look it up.
Aug 11, 2014 8:02 AM

Jun 2013
GodlyKyon said:

You're spot on about Kaioshin. Phew even went as far as posting in the people page of the guy who was the "chief producer" of shaft, the musician for this series and basically bashing them.

Yeah if you haven't seen Unicorn it is widely received as one of the best mecha to come along in a very long time.
Aug 11, 2014 8:13 AM

Sep 2011
ex_necross said:
GodlyKyon said:

Yeah if you haven't seen Unicorn it is widely received as one of the best mecha to come along in a very long time.

I dropped Gundam 00, which was the first Gundam series I saw. Why is it considered that noteworthy?
Aug 11, 2014 8:16 AM

Jun 2013
GodlyKyon said:
ex_necross said:

I dropped Gundam 00, which was the first Gundam series I saw. Why is it considered that noteworthy?

Not sure why you would drop 00. It is a good show.

But Unicorn is part of the Universal Century, while 00 is part of the Anno Domini timeline. Universal Century is known as the mature Gundam timeline, and where you'll find most of the adult fans.

It's considered noteworthy for many different reasons, the visuals, sound, atmosphere, plot, everything is pretty much amazing. If you want to read a review or something there are many out there, but I would just say give it a watch and see if you like it.

To be blunt, though, if you don't like Unicorn then I don't know why you'd like mecha at all.
Aug 11, 2014 10:04 AM
Nov 2011
Slaine’s escape sequence is quite contentious, and rightfully so. Slaine’s flight was probably the most blatant abuse of plot armor so far in Aldnoah Zero. Whole fortress on alert, with guards running around everywhere, yet Slaine escapes without a scratch. Sure, Saazbaum requested that Slaine be taken alive, but it was clear towards the end with the masses of Martians shooting at Slaine that Cruhteo was more concerned with him not escaping than capturing him alive.

Of all the ways that Slaine could have defected from the Martians, I can’t be disappointed when such a poor method was chosen. How much more incompetent do the Martians have to depicted? From half a dozen guards apparently trained at the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy, to nobody attempting to shoot down Slaine as he flew away, the Martian military just becomes sillier and sillier each and every episode. One method that Slaine’s escape would have been made much better would be if Cruhteo was revealed to be tacitly allowing Slaine to flee. This would have developed Cruhteo due to him acting on the doubts he has previously shown, while also reducing the amount of blatant plot armor on Slaine. That could have even led to interesting infighting among the Martian knights, potentially developing them beyond the cardboard cutouts they are now.

Instead, we have Cruhteo ordering Slaine to be executed on the spot in an attempt to preserve his honor. It’s like every time a Martian shows the faintest glimmers of development beyond being an evil caricature, the writers of Aldnoah Zero have to stamp it out and assure us that all Martians are completely irredeemable.

On the bright side, they wisely kept Slaine’s escape sequence very short, unlike the pointless fight on the ship last episode with Inaho. This meant more time for stuff that’s interesting, like us getting to know Marito more and backstory revolving around the power of Aldnoah and the events that transpired 15 years ago.

While Marito hasn’t really done much, he is a better written character than most in Aldnoah Zero, with a backstory that makes his behavior more believable. I suppose his type of character was what I expected coming into Aldnoah Zero – serious and multi-faceted.

Nothing much from the rest of the episode really stood out to me, good or bad. There was the new Martian Kataphract, complete with arrogant Martian pilot. Inaho was the most useful person on the Terran side, as usual. Really much of the same formula as the previous two episodes.

Well, at least now I have two characters to look forward to see next week.
Aug 11, 2014 12:11 PM

Jul 2014
micbri said:
From half a dozen guards apparently trained at the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy

And they sure had aced the course.

micbri said:
One method that Slaine’s escape would have been made much better would be if Cruhteo was revealed to be tacitly allowing Slaine to flee. This would have developed Cruhteo due to him acting on the doubts he has previously shown, while also reducing the amount of blatant plot armor on Slaine. That could have even led to interesting infighting among the Martian knights, potentially developing them beyond the cardboard cutouts they are now.
Instead, we have Cruhteo ordering Slaine to be executed on the spot in an attempt to preserve his honor.

Yep, that's what I've been thinking about for a while too. Before this episode Cruhteo looked like a half-competent officer or at least a thorough one.The knights are highly competitive, wouldn't it be wise to susupect something, after Saazbaum got too involved into Cruhteo's castle's internal problems? I mean, he should've at least wanted to interrogate Slaine. The order to execute on sight was extremely stupid and wasteful.

micbri said:
Well, at least now I have two characters to look forward to see next week.

And who is the second one?
Aug 11, 2014 12:37 PM

Jul 2014
y123y said:
The second character is that Martian beauty thats attacking them :P

Ah. I can't manage a hope that she will be less one-dimensional, than the previous knights, unfortunately.
Aug 11, 2014 2:43 PM

Jul 2010
Darklight0303 said:
ramonnl said:

That was a major asspull, hoping Slain fails soon.

Not to mention he managed to escape UNHARMED from a castle. If you wanna talk about asspulls in this series Slaine has the biggest one.

Slaine = L-Elf. (Valvrave)

Jokes aside (or not), pretty solid episode, Glad Inaho messed up.
Also, Slaine is pretty badass when he's not beaten up by sticks.
Aug 11, 2014 4:13 PM
May 2014
Loved it! Slaine is finally fighting back against the martians and stopped the humans from getting pulverised..
Aug 11, 2014 5:41 PM

Sep 2011
ex_necross said:
GodlyKyon said:

But Unicorn is part of the Universal Century, while 00 is part of the Anno Domini timeline. Universal Century is known as the mature Gundam timeline, and where you'll find most of the adult fans.

It's considered noteworthy for many different reasons, the visuals, sound, atmosphere, plot, everything is pretty much amazing. If you want to read a review or something there are many out there, but I would just say give it a watch and see if you like it.

To be blunt, though, if you don't like Unicorn then I don't know why you'd like mecha at all.

Mostly cause it was boring... I thought the characterization was a bit too bland, maybe because I skipped around a bit though.

ALright, but from what I know, Unicorn seems to be something concluding the Gundam UC? Is it a good idea to just watch it with no background knowledge?
Aug 11, 2014 6:26 PM

Apr 2012
Slaine arrived just in time.

Good ep as always.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Aug 11, 2014 7:35 PM
Jul 2014
Akanezora said:
Darklight0303 said:

Not to mention he managed to escape UNHARMED from a castle. If you wanna talk about asspulls in this series Slaine has the biggest one.

Slaine = L-Elf. (Valvrave)

Jokes aside (or not), pretty solid episode, Glad Inaho messed up.
Also, Slaine is pretty badass when he's not beaten up by sticks.

Haha, funny joke. Waiting for the bromance.
Aug 11, 2014 11:14 PM

Aug 2011
Eddelrittuo, best martian loli :B
Aug 12, 2014 4:19 AM

Sep 2013
Since this show is an Urobuchi show, we can expect in the second cour for the deaths. And unfortunately, Inaho will not be among them.

Really at this point I just want a show containing Slaine and Yagari-sensei only.
Aug 12, 2014 8:35 AM

Dec 2013
VanishingKira said:
While Earth is in trouble of complete annihilation,moe princess is moe.

Can totally see what was going through the princesses mind right there: "Slaine you idiot! Embarrassing me in front of Inaho-san! God I wanna hide in a hole right now!" It's good to see that Inaho is actively seeking the Princess out for conversation though, because that should help to develop their story further. And with that blush, I get the feeling that the princess is finally seeing Inaho as someone interesting enough to be embarrassed in front of. Let's see if this will develop into anything more.

That said, I can't believe how they ass-pulled Slaines escape. First, how the heck did he know that they were after him in the first place? They never explained it!

This just basically reinforced my point about the Martians being stupid mustache twirlers.
You want to capture the kid alive, and somehow don't bother doing so BEFORE your king makes his announcement to the universe that they're going to resume their war on the Terrains, just how friggin stupid can you guys get???
As if Slaine wouldn't know that the game was up once that announcement was made, eh? Take away their Aldnoah drive and all you're left with are a group of bungling idiots who don't know the first thing about tactics, strategies or planning ahead. Seriously, despite their bad-ass robots, the quality of the bad guys leave a lot to be desired here. You put Slaine in their role and he would still make a better villain than the entire lot of them!

Also, how the hell did he track their ship so quickly? I mean, it's not like he has some sort of special tracking device that allows him to find the Princess right? Because if there was, then the Knights would have already swarmed and slaughtered her by now. Plus, he didn't even know that the princess had boarded a ship, much less THAT ship. Unless they manage to explain it at the beginning of the next episode (like he was just helping a ship that was under attack and didn't know who was on board, or something similar) then I call major bullshit on this show.
The plot-armor is way too strong in this show, it's not even amusing anymore.

I'll bet my horse that Marito will get some additional development once this battle is over next episode. Something tells me that he's going to face his demons at this Tanegashima Island, and we'll get more of what happened 15 years ago real soon. Hopefully he'll resolve his differences with that Captain Magbaredge (you know how they always say Hate is another expression of Love... I can totally see these two getting together in the end... if neither of them die first)

As for Slaines first meeting with Inaho, I'm gonna predict some fireworks here. Slaine will probably want to establish that the Princess needs to go back with him to find her Grandpa (via one of the uncorrupted Knights) to prove that she's alive and well to end the war as fast as possible, whereas Inaho will argue that it's better that they get the Princess to the safety of the Earth Alliance before contacting the Emperor. In this instance I figure the Princess will side with Inaho more due to his plan sounding more feasible and safer, and Slaine coming off a bit jilted after that (cue the long awaited and totally unnecessary love triangle :P).

Can't wait for the conclusion of this battle and the ensuing aftermath!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Aug 12, 2014 10:38 AM

Jun 2013
GodlyKyon said:
ex_necross said:

Mostly cause it was boring... I thought the characterization was a bit too bland, maybe because I skipped around a bit though.

ALright, but from what I know, Unicorn seems to be something concluding the Gundam UC? Is it a good idea to just watch it with no background knowledge?

Sorry for late reply. It works as a stand alone series. There are some references you will not get, but nothing important to the plot. Also why would you skip around in anime.. you'll never get the real experience that way.
Aug 12, 2014 12:10 PM

Jan 2011
Why did nobody die yet? FML
Don't have anything else to say I guess, but please let this not be like Gargantia...
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Aug 12, 2014 3:21 PM

Mar 2014
Slain's appearance during the last moment of the episode was kind of like a cliff hanger for me. Can't wait for the next episode to air.
Aug 12, 2014 8:09 PM

Jan 2014
MasterMeNL said:
This isn't Gundam lol
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Aug 12, 2014 9:03 PM

Jul 2014
MasterMeNL said:
Don't have anything else to say I guess, but please let this not be like Gargantia...

And the first to die, should be Marito :O
Aug 12, 2014 9:20 PM

Dec 2010
Eddelrittuo is a cutie, that much is confirmed. I doubt she will ever amount to much other than probably sacrificing herself to save Asseylum.

Slaine is still my favorite character, so hopefully now that he's a fugitive he will start getting more screen time.

I feel like the supporting characters are getting more development than the main cast, but its good to see Marito going through his psychological issues, and how Magbaredge deals with them.

Also, I'm glad they went more indepth into what the Aldnoah is. But I feel like there is a whole lot more to be explained before the series ends.
Aug 13, 2014 12:00 AM

Jul 2010
Nice seeing how the Vers empire came to be.
Seylum blushing ^^
Slaine's dad being related to Aldnoah!
When Inaho was missing, I thought Marito overcame his fear. Slaine coming in was pretty nice! Can't wait to see how he acts around the princess!
Aug 13, 2014 3:46 AM

Oct 2013
Ok episode. I thought it would be Marito to shoot that last fist missile. So Slaine is back on earth. I wonder how he and Inaho will interact. And why is the United Earth HQ in Russia? It should have been in North Korea.
Aug 13, 2014 3:47 AM

Nov 2012
Maryruss said:
MasterMeNL said:

And the first to die, should be Marito :O

yes please, they must get rid of that annoying useless guy ASAP
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 13, 2014 6:07 AM
Oct 2013
How the hell they're only the people that surviving while the minor grunts are dying around them? And how come the Vers mecha gets weak when they fight against Inaho?
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

2123 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

319 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 1:22 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

474 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

837 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 23, 2:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.