Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kill la Kill
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Feb 3, 2014 5:25 AM
Apr 2013
DarkCyclone said:
That was actually decent. I'm not gonna lie and say my hopes weren't low. I wasn't expecting an improvement

It took one episode of characters sitting down explaining key plot points to have a major improvement over the previous 3 eps. It's sad this is happening at episode 16 but at least it's happening

I feel you, man.

We even got that bath-scene, an awesome display of character-dynamics and all most people are talking about is how it was "rape".

The show really could use some new environments too. Going back to Hounouji Gakuen now will only serve to remind me how utterly small this show is even with alien invasions and super-powered sailor uniforms.

Even being stuck in the Future Gadget Lab for most of "Steins;Gate" didn't feel this cramped due to the many different personalities, character-dynamics and events that went down.

Here we have a school that's an actual fucking town yet week by week it just seems so inconsequential.

Four episodes spent on a fucking podium-thing watching some bondage guy whip a seventeen year old girl's ass among other not things...

And just what did Gamagoori mean by "Just like that day" when he was going on about being punished, anyway? His punishment happened on another day!

I kind of get why people throw around that word "mindless-fun" a lot when talking about this show. When you think about what you've just watched you begin to notice things...
ollythirteenFeb 3, 2014 5:30 AM

Feb 3, 2014 9:36 AM
Apr 2013
So...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1b0yx7_tv%E3%82%A2%E3%83%8B%E3%83%A1-%E3%82%AD%E3%83%AB%E3%83%A9%E3%82%AD%E3%83%AB-%E7%AC%AC17%E8%A9%B1%E4%BA%88%E5%91%8A-30%E7%A7%92ver-kill-la-kill-ep-17-30-sec-preview_shortfilms

The words Chichi (Father in Japanese) and Haha (mother in Japanese) are thrown around in this extended preview as well as the word Musume (daughter).

Senketsu was talking about Ryuuko and Satsuki. Looks like there might be something to the sister theory.

And I find that awesome.

Still, until it's translated and episode 17 airs things are still up in the air.

Feb 3, 2014 10:18 AM

Oct 2011
ollythirteen said:
So...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1b0yx7_tv%E3%82%A2%E3%83%8B%E3%83%A1-%E3%82%AD%E3%83%AB%E3%83%A9%E3%82%AD%E3%83%AB-%E7%AC%AC17%E8%A9%B1%E4%BA%88%E5%91%8A-30%E7%A7%92ver-kill-la-kill-ep-17-30-sec-preview_shortfilms

The words Chichi (Father in Japanese) and Haha (mother in Japanese) are thrown around in this extended preview as well as the word Musume (daughter).

Senketsu was talking about Ryuuko and Satsuki. Looks like there might be something to the sister theory.

And I find that awesome.

Still, until it's translated and episode 17 airs things are still up in the air.

One thing going around is that they must be planning more reveals for this episode, considering they use the same 7 frames over and over again.

Another theory is that this episode will have a spike in animation quality like the others that had framed previews, rather than animated previews.

Not sure which will happen, maybe both?
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Feb 3, 2014 11:27 AM
Apr 2013
BRSxIgnition said:
ollythirteen said:
So...

And I find that awesome.

One thing going around is that they must be planning more reveals for this episode, considering they use the same 7 frames over and over again.

Another theory is that this episode will have a spike in animation quality like the others that had framed previews, rather than animated previews.

Not sure which will happen, maybe both?

More reveals? That would most likely raise the show's standing in my eyes. Episode 16 was fantastic to me because characters were interacting with one another instead of trying to kill each other.

I initially hated Mako, but then the show made her interact with the very last people you'd find her interacting with namely Mikisugi sensei and every member of the elite 4.

A show is only as good as its characters in my opinion so more of episode 16 before the inevitable clash of wills would be awesome as F.

That way both people swinging their swords would appear more human to me and therefore I'd feel something for them.

Also better animation is a huge plus although I've never really found the animation on display worth complaining about. Fit the comedy especially well.

Ryuuko and Satsuki are Kyoudai Theory FTW

Feb 3, 2014 12:57 PM

Oct 2011
https://twitter.com/tuka_trg/status/430292838769627136

Based on the above, we should start watching out for weekly spoilers from Episode 17 onward:

"Episode 16 of KILL la KILL has revealed quite a lot of background of the story. Up until now, even if you read the spoilers without seeing the episode they didn't make any sense, so they didn't have much influence, however starting from ep17 the people who avoid the spoilers will be able to enjoy it the most. People from the areas who watch it earlier, please be considerate!" - Studio TRIGGER CEO, Matsuhiko Otsuka

Who else is excited by these words?
BRSxIgnitionFeb 3, 2014 1:05 PM
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Feb 3, 2014 1:35 PM
Feb 2013
Pipoko said:
AnimageNeby said:

"It seems like creepy incest, but it's still actually really hot and I wouldn't mind it to be played as fanservice."

That's what your posts came across to me rereading them.
A scene like this really can't be played as both fanservice and squick considering what exactly it comes across as. It's either only (creepy) fanservice or only squick. If it turns out to be fanservice in the end, it proves that the series is otaku-pandering crap to me and I'll drop it. Just gonna steer clear from this discussion now.

Hmm. Well, it is pretty hot, I already said that. A cursory look at other posts would indicate it's not that of stretch to call it as such neither. The thing that makes it creepy, or at least rather weird, is the incestuous-esque context of it, but ultimately, that's a rational pondering about it, based on cultural mores. Of course it is true that the makers of KlK are aware of this too, and therefore wanted to make the mom more a 'villain', but if that was their ONLY goal, they wouldn't gave given the in-story explanation of her mom opening her chakra's, and that it was needed to have better affinity (which, in-story, is probably true, so it introduces the element she was actually also helping her daughter). However you look at it, that was an element of ambiguity being introduced in the evaluation of making her 'evil', just as was the reaction of Satsuki to it. So I think it's more than for just this purpose.

I definitely do not agree with your 'it's either or this or that' assessment. Why would it have to be? I don't think the makers of the anime are that one-sided. The bathscene was deliberately made erotic; hardly necessary to show discomfort. It made the mom more villainous, but then the in-story explanation wasn't necessary. It was fanservice, butif it was merely for that, the incest-theme wasn't necessary, since that made the scene feel more creepy.

So you see? None, on itself, really explains all the choices they made. If you accept they had multiple layers and goals they wanted to achieve, however, it makes perfectly sense they did it the way they did.So now there is ambiguity; you can wonder if they put that scene in there as hot fanservice, as a way to feel you uncomfortable with the incest-theme, as a way to villainize the mom, as way to help her daughter to survive her next suit-donning, as a metaphore for them not feeling any sin in nudity and stuff that others find a sin, as a way to dominate her daughter, etc. Many interpretations are possible, but I definitely think it was a mixture of those thoughts and feelings they wanted to evoke. Otaku-pandering? On the contrary; the fact that it remains ambiguous is just proof of the opposite.

It's just like all the almost-nude-shots with their skimpy suits. What you are saying is akin to: "well, if that turns out to be fan-service, I'm quitting the series, because it should be metaphorical interpreted!". Umm... there is no reason why both aren't possible. At least, you didn't give any, except for your personal preference of it. Yes, Trigger made many, many symbolic references with the showing of their flesh, boobs and all the rest, relating to the whole nude vs clothing (freedom vs facism, etc) thing. Nevertheless, I don't doubt Trigger ALSO thought by themselves; and it's great fanservice too. It serves both (or more) purposes. The same goes for the bath scene and many other scenes.

I just think it naïve to think that scene was made so sexy just to show the discomfort of Satsuki (which isn't all that clearly shown in that particular scene anyway, though one may deduce she doesn't like to be controlled by her mom in general). If all the discomfort and mental pain and what not was THAT obvious and clear, it should be clear if someone unware of the context saw it too. I don't think one would, however. So, this means, if we see that in there, it's due to our interpretation of it, aka; an rational assessment of the context. But many interpretations are left open, deliberately imho, by trigger. One part definitely was the goal of fanservice, or, at least, evoking arousal, if you find fan-service a too pejorative term. But your and other interpretations could be right too, and probably are, to a degree. It's just not an or-or situation, like you claim. Saying only your interpretation is possible and it's mutual exclusive with anything else just lessens the depth of that scene, it doesn't augment it.
AnimageNebyFeb 3, 2014 1:54 PM
Feb 3, 2014 1:43 PM
Apr 2013
BRSxIgnition said:
https://twitter.com/tuka_trg/status/430292838769627136

Based on the above, we should start watching out for weekly spoilers from Episode 17 onward:

"Episode 16 of KILL la KILL has revealed quite a lot of background of the story. Up until now, even if you read the spoilers without seeing the episode they didn't make any sense, so they didn't have much influence, however starting from ep17 the people who avoid the spoilers will be able to enjoy it the most. People from the areas who watch it earlier, please be considerate!" - Studio TRIGGER CEO, Matsuhiko Otsuka

Who else is excited by these words?

Uso da yo.

The writer and director promised a character drama before this aired.

I'm still waiting on that.

That said it's a little hard to curb my excitement.

I read somewhere that when they were discussing this half of the show everyone in the room was pretty depressed.

From the way people have reacted to the whole Satsuki and mama Kiryuin scene we may be getting some more of that dark stuff.

So yeah, I remain skeptical yet hopeful.

Feb 3, 2014 1:51 PM
Apr 2013
AnimageNeby said:
Pipoko said:
AnimageNeby said:

"It seems like creepy incest, but it's still actually really hot and I wouldn't mind it to be played as fanservice."

A scene like this really can't be played as both fanservice and squick considering what exactly it comes across as. It's either only (creepy) fanservice or only squick. If it turns out to be fanservice in the end, it proves that the series is otaku-pandering crap to me and I'll drop it. Just gonna steer clear from this discussion now.

I just think it naïve to think that scene was made so sexy just to show the discomfort of Satsuki (which isn't all that clearly shown in that particular scene anyway, though one may deduce she doesn't like to be controlled by her mom in general). If all the discomfort and mental pain and what not was THAT obvious and clear, it should be clear if someone unware of the context saw it too. I don't think one would, however. So, this means, if we see that in there, it's due to our interpretation of it, aka; an rational assessment of the context. But many interpretations are left open, deliberately imho, by trigger. One part definitely was the goal of fanservice, or, at least, evoking arousal, if you find fan-service a too pejorative term. But your and other interpretations could be right too, and probably are, to a degree. It's just not an or-or situation, like you claim. Saying only your interpretation is possible and it's mutual exclusive with anything else just lessens the depth of that scene, it doesn't augment it.

Dude, let me present a third pov: that scene creeped me out because Ragyo is creepy. It also made me hard because both characters are sexy. However, oddly enough I also felt a Mother/Daughter bond thing going on.

Satsuki's mum saw that she was in pain and gave her a massage. She was being a mother right there and then. It's like she'd have given Satsuki a massage even if they were fully clothed and not in the bath. Since it was a shared bath type deal and Satsuki showed pain, her mother simply gave her a massage.

And Satsuki did look like she felt better afterwards. And Satsuki's mum seemed proud of her daughter. Proud enough to tell her the secret of the life fibres anyway...

Actually it wasn't till Satsuki made that face towards the end of the episode that I realized "Yipes she isn't a doting daughter after all".

Till then Satsuki seemed like she was a little girl who'd been taken under mama Kiryuin's wing.
ollythirteenFeb 3, 2014 2:00 PM

Feb 3, 2014 2:04 PM
Feb 2013
ollythirteen said:
AnimageNeby said:
Pipoko said:
AnimageNeby said:

Dude, let me present a third pov: that scene creeped me out because Ragyo is creepy. It also made me hard because both characters are sexy. However, oddly enough I also felt a Mother/Daughter bond thing going on.

Satsuki's mum saw that she was in pain and gave her a massage. She was being a mother right there and then. It's like she'd have given Satsuki a massage even if they were fully clothed and not in the bath. Since it was a shared bath type deal and Satsuki showed pain, her mother simply gave her a massage.

And Satsuki did look like she felt better afterwards. And Satsuki's mum seemed proud of her daughter. Proud enough to tell her the secret of the life fibres anyway...

Certainly. That's also a possible explanation. In one of my other posts I specifically mentioned several different possible interpretations, but none are a priori excluding eachother.

The interpretation that you describe is based on what I said about introducing an element that she was helping her daughter as well: a thing that is difficult to rhyme with the intention of villainizing the mom, if that was the ONLY intention or goal they wanted to achieve with it.

So I agree your pov could be a valid point too, and probably is, to some degree.

Maybe... I dunno...maybe it's just one of those classical love-hate relationships Satsuki and her mom have. That said, only saying it was a mere massage to help her out might be a bit of an understatement too. Her mother does seem rather dominant (also in a sexual way). And the bathscene could have been made far less sexy if it was only that they wanted to show her helping her out and having some sort of mother-daughter bond. So, as I said, the whole thing was made rather ambiguous, and deliberately so.
Feb 3, 2014 3:37 PM

Dec 2012
ollythirteen said:
The show really could use some new environments too. Going back to Hounouji Gakuen now will only serve to remind me how utterly small this show is even with alien invasions and super-powered sailor uniforms.

I figured the super-powered school setting would've been fine if they had fleshed it out a little more. Seems they really want to put the focus on the action though. It's much like Shibusen in Soul Eater but I feel like they were a little more playful with the surroundings in that school over Honnouji. Everything outside of Honnouji is on the plain side maybe aside from the bath house

ollythirteen said:
A show is only as good as its characters in my opinion so more of episode 16 before the inevitable clash of wills would be awesome as F.

I'm also of this belief. Interesting characters are to a series as spices are to food #badanalogies. Even if KLK had a great plot and fantastic animation, you'd still need that flavour or else it's gonna taste bland. So far interaction between the support cast is scarce. They should be fleshing out relationships between characters, they've laid the foundation for a lot of potential interaction but they just go into very little depth in favour of whatever else they are doing.

Trying desperately not to turn this into an essay post considering the last two pages but wth. Would've done them good to have more episodes like this one, we have more character interaction here than almost the entire series...

We learn Iori and Soroi are blood relatives (no hint of this beforehand either), Ragyo having no regard for Satsuki's boundaries being taken even further with the bath scene, Satsuki's seemingly underlying resentment for her mother, and it being something she has to surpress whilst in her presence. It's an interesting relationship, because Satsuki is an alpha female character, watching her become so submissive is like we aren't even watching the same person. It's the suggestion that there's more to Ragyo than what we are seeing that makes her character equally fascinating also. And finally the growing tension between Ryuko and Tsumugu.

With all this in mind I'd say this episode eclipses all the others pretty easily, well, it would if not for ALIENS. lol
DarkCycloneFeb 3, 2014 3:49 PM
Feb 3, 2014 4:12 PM
Oct 2013
ollythirteen said:
Even being stuck in the Future Gadget Lab for most of "Steins;Gate" didn't feel this cramped due to the many different personalities, character-dynamics and events that went down.

Kill la Kill doesn't have those?

Four episodes spent on a fucking podium-thing watching some bondage guy whip a seventeen year old girl's ass among other not things...

The King of the Hill Final Battle basically only lasted two-and-a-half episodes, and in that time we got flashbacks to other settings developing the Elite 4 and comical asides with Mako and the fallen Elite 4 members.

DarkCyclone said:
Even if KLK had a great plot and fantastic animation

A plot's difficult to judge before the theme/"story question" is answered; that can put the plot in an entirely different context for the viewer, and I will say that I'm not disappointed with it thus far. It simply feels incomplete, which makes sense since it's. . . not complete. The animation complements the show's style, too.

So far interaction between the support cast is scarce. They should be fleshing out relationships between characters, they've laid the foundation for a lot of potential interaction but they just go into very little depth in favour of whatever else they are doing.

Really? I see that as one of KlK's biggest strong points.

With all this in mind I'd say this episode eclipses all the others pretty easily, well, it would if not for ALIENS. lol

What's wrong with the aliens? :l
KokopelliFeb 3, 2014 4:28 PM
Feb 3, 2014 5:03 PM

Dec 2012
Kokopelli said:
A plot's difficult to judge before the theme/"story question" is answered; that can put the plot in an entirely different context for the viewer, and I will say that I'm not disappointed with it thus far. It simply feels incomplete, which makes sense since it's. . . not complete. The animation complements the show's style, too.

I'm not judging the plot. I was speaking hypothetically. Maybe I should've said "an anime" rather than "KLK". While I'm not judging the animation in this sense either, I'd say the lack of animation has been the issue over the past episodes. It will likely continue but lazy animating and animation shortcuts will always be a negative in my eyes

Really? I see that as one of KlK's biggest strong points.

Guess we'll have to disagree here then

What's wrong with the aliens? :l

Mysterious entity to be revealed as aliens is a little played out. I said that mostly as a joke though. 1) This episode was actually the best 2) The elements of a plot are rarely important if it's executed well, that's all I care about as far as plot is concerned
Feb 3, 2014 5:24 PM
Jul 2018
ollythirteen said:
I kind of get why people throw around that word "mindless-fun" a lot when talking about this show. When you think about what you've just watched you begin to notice things...

That's the great part of these kinds of shows. The presentation is way over the top, but once you start to pay attention you notice things that you did not see before. Usually they're small bits of symbolism or character development/quirks, but it keeps me personally on my toes as I watch.

A good example is Satsuki's surprise when Ragyou mentions the Culture & Sports Festival. That hinted towards a certain possibility that's been discussed lately: that Satsuki may have made Honnouji Academy to oppose her mother in some way.
Feb 3, 2014 6:28 PM

Jan 2011
I love the way this show keeps getting more and more ludicrous. Clothes are threatening to take over the mankind? Yup, that's perfectly logical in this context.
Feb 3, 2014 7:06 PM
Oct 2013
@DarkCyclone
Yeah, okay, I thought I might have misunderstood. I feel pretty good with the animation most of the time, but during certain battle scenes it's just obtrusive, so I can understand where you're coming from.

Well, the Elite 4 talk with each other pretty constantly, and occasionally with Satsuki and Ryuuko; the King of the Hill Final Battle was the best showcase of that, with their interactions with Mako as well. The Mankanshoukou family gets quite a bit of interaction amongst themselves and Ryuuko. Same with Aikurou and Tsumugu. Mako has an interesting interaction with some other supporting character just about every episode. The ones who don't interact much with each other are on completely opposite sides for the most part.

It might be overdone, but at least it wasn't what most people were expecting, and the information as a whole that we gain from this episode certainly adds depth to the theme of clothing.
Feb 3, 2014 8:55 PM

Apr 2012
Was it rape?
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Feb 3, 2014 11:16 PM
Apr 2013
BloodRequiem said:
Was it rape?

No. It was a massage.

Ragyo is one creepy bitch though so it made the scene more un-nerving.

Also Satsuki was tired out from her earlier fight, which made it seem like she was being dominated. If Satsuki was normal, we'd probably have gotten another stoic expression on her face like the one she had on in a prior episode when her mum was feeling her up or rather checking the goku-seifuku's fit.

This is not to say that it isn't implied that Satsuki answers to Ragyo and Ragyo sees Satsuki as a bird in a cage. But there were a lot of outside factors that made the scene out to be more than it really was (the biggest one being Satsuki's tiredness. Cool calm Satsuki was literally shocked when Ragyo sprang on her. She wasn't all there.).

Feb 3, 2014 11:18 PM
Apr 2013
Aylaine said:
ollythirteen said:

That's the great part of these kinds of shows. The presentation is way over the top, but once you start to pay attention you notice things that you did not see before. Usually they're small bits of symbolism or character development/quirks, but it keeps me personally on my toes as I watch.

A good example is Satsuki's surprise when Ragyou mentions the Culture & Sports Festival. That hinted towards a certain possibility that's been discussed lately: that Satsuki may have made Honnouji Academy to oppose her mother in some way.

I wasn't complementing the show when I said that, but I get where you're coming from.

For all my criticisms directed at the show I can't deny that I find some of the things people are finding to talk about interesting.

Feb 3, 2014 11:36 PM
Apr 2013
Kokopelli said:
ollythirteen said:

Kill la Kill doesn't have those?

The King of the Hill Final Battle basically only lasted two-and-a-half episodes, and in that time we got flashbacks to other settings developing the Elite 4 and comical asides with Mako and the fallen Elite 4 members.

Besides the main female leads, Kill la Kill has like one other interesting character: Ragyo.

Which is ironic because this character hasn't done a single thing besides smirk, appear extremely menacing despite maintaining a calm demeanor and more recently massage her daughter in a suggestive manner.

As for the other characters, starting from Mako and family, down to the Elite Four and the two stars Ryuuko went through in the beginning episodes, Nudist beach dudes and Nui and Hououmaru, they're simply minor characters who haven't done anything to move the plot forward. (Well, Mikisugi did get Ryuuko to Senketsu, there's that I guess).

In my opinion, anyway.

The reason I feel this way is because even the character interactions that have been a joy to watch i.e. Mako hanging with the elite four, have been kind of inconsequential where the story is concerned. The only thing we've gotten out of that is Gamagoori's interest in Mako.

Which has been my problem with the show for a while now: It goes in directions that are exciting, some times daring but then nothing comes out of it.

Not trying to write the story here, but in the hands of another writer, despite the emphasis on comedy and action, interacting with a no-star would have at least had some kind of an effect on each of the four stars, especially one as special as Mako (she's special because her friend kicked their collective asses).

In the hands of another writer the whole Ryuuko losing Senketsu thing would have made us CARE.

Things just happen in this show. So many things happened. Yet it didn't feel like the show was going anywhere (until episode 16 anyway).

Yes, I feel the Battle Field Trip and King of the Hill Battles where a big nothing.
No one died. No one got majorly hurt. No one changed (again until this episode where we see who Satsuki really is outside the public eye).

Mako is still Mako. Gamagoori, Nonon, Inumuta, Aikuro, Tsumgu, etc etc are all the same despite being in a war, witnessing a girl in a sailor uniform go berserk etc

Yes, not even Ryuuko changed all that much and what little change she underwent was forced with people covering it up by saying "Kill la Kill handles things with break-neck speed".

Whatever, it's not like I hate this show as much as Attack on Titan. It is infinitely more entertaining and if this past episode is any indicator it'll probably be getting even more so.

Feb 4, 2014 12:21 AM

Aug 2010
Anyone know what is playing at the part where the nudist beach's nudist beach is revealed?
Feb 4, 2014 11:24 AM

Feb 2011
I'm loving the new OP it's better than the first one. And the whole scene where Satsuki's mother was touching Satsuki is hot! :P. And it looks like this episode has finally explained everything about these Life Fibers are haha :).
Feb 4, 2014 12:51 PM

Sep 2011
i literally have no clue what to say, i dont even know if i liked it or disliked it, im just...i dont even know how to describe it i feel like i took lsd when watching it, and that isnt a good or bad thing, i just dont know

only real definitive feelings i have is that the new opening was good though, and that bath scene was....akward other than that ?/5

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 4, 2014 5:56 PM
Apr 2013
Ehh... again title with fat fan service. Anyway, I hope, It will be really similar with something like FLCL or Soul Eater.
Feb 4, 2014 7:21 PM
Oct 2013
ollythirteen said:
Besides the main female leads, Kill la Kill has like one other interesting character: Ragyo.

Which is ironic because this character hasn't done a single thing besides smirk, appear extremely menacing despite maintaining a calm demeanor and more recently massage her daughter in a suggestive manner.

As for the other characters, starting from Mako and family, down to the Elite Four and the two stars Ryuuko went through in the beginning episodes, Nudist beach dudes and Nui and Hououmaru, they're simply minor characters who haven't done anything to move the plot forward. (Well, Mikisugi did get Ryuuko to Senketsu, there's that I guess).

In my opinion, anyway.

The reason I feel this way is because even the character interactions that have been a joy to watch i.e. Mako hanging with the elite four, have been kind of inconsequential where the story is concerned. The only thing we've gotten out of that is Gamagoori's interest in Mako.

First of all, one of the things you mentioned was different personalities, which KlK certainly doesn't lack.

And yeah, that is ironic. I don't know what would make you think that, especially if you think that's all she's done.

A character can be interesting without having much influence on the plot. They can be amusing and unique, serve to complement another character and build on the theme of the story (which, I feel the need to stress, is liberation and subjugation). KlK's characters have all of that. With that said, however, those characters will probably have a more vital role in the second half.

Not trying to write the story here, but in the hands of another writer, despite the emphasis on comedy and action, interacting with a no-star would have at least had some kind of an effect on each of the four stars, especially one as special as Mako (she's special because her friend kicked their collective asses).

I fail to see how talking to a no-star would affect them, considering that they've probably talked to lots of no-stars and Ryuuko is technically one. I don't see how that makes Mako special, either.

In the hands of another writer the whole Ryuuko losing Senketsu thing would have made us CARE.

The point of that was to show how Ryuuko's bond with Senketsu strengthens her - physically, mentally and emotionally - instead of weakening her.

Things just happen in this show. So many things happened. Yet it didn't feel like the show was going anywhere (until episode 16 anyway).

Yes, I feel the Battle Field Trip and King of the Hill Battles where a big nothing.
No one died. No one got majorly hurt. No one changed (again until this episode where we see who Satsuki really is outside the public eye).

Mako is still Mako. Gamagoori, Nonon, Inumuta, Aikuro, Tsumgu, etc etc are all the same despite being in a war, witnessing a girl in a sailor uniform go berserk etc

Yes, not even Ryuuko changed all that much and what little change she underwent was forced with people covering it up by saying "Kill la Kill handles things with break-neck speed".

Every step of Satsuki's plan has served has served to develop/expand on characters and reveal secrets - pretty much every episode, really. Ryuuko's had pretty good development, the best example being Episodes 12-15, and I don't find it forced nor do I "excuse" it with "break-neck speed".
Feb 4, 2014 8:00 PM

Nov 2012
So glad the recap was a 2 minute recap. It really "felt" like it was taking forever.

I actually think the OST improved this episode. Not too sure what good vs bad OST is but it sounded nice...

Love the new OP and ED. The ED, Mako, better visuals than last ED.
Feb 4, 2014 11:07 PM
Apr 2013
Kokopelli said:
ollythirteen said:

In my opinion, anyway.

First of all, one of the things you mentioned was different personalities, which KlK certainly doesn't lack.

And yeah, that is ironic. I don't know what would make you think that, especially if you think that's all she's done.

A character can be interesting without having much influence on the plot. They can be amusing and unique, serve to complement another character and build on the theme of the story (which, I feel the need to stress, is liberation and subjugation). KlK's characters have all of that. With that said, however, those characters will probably have a more vital role in the second half.

Not trying to write the story here, but in the hands of another writer, despite the emphasis on comedy and action, interacting with a no-star would have at least had some kind of an effect on each of the four stars.

I fail to see how talking to a no-star would affect them, considering that they've probably talked to lots of no-stars and Ryuuko is technically one. I don't see how that makes Mako special, either.

The point of that was to show how Ryuuko's bond with Senketsu strengthens her - physically, mentally and emotionally - instead of weakening her.

Every step of Satsuki's plan has served has served to develop/expand on characters and reveal secrets - pretty much every episode, really. Ryuuko's had pretty good development, the best example being Episodes 12-15, and I don't find it forced nor do I "excuse" it with "break-neck speed".

I had so much written in reply going over each of your points and disagreeing with every one of them. Instead I'll summarize my feelings thus:

Tomorrow the 17th episode of 24 airs. If I were to happen on another anime fan who's never watched this show I probably wouldn't be able to hype them up to watch it by telling them about anything of note that has happened in the first half simply because I feel nothing of note has actually happened.

Despite the fact that A LOT has happened.

That's just how queer "Kill la Kill" is. I don't think it is a bad show, otherwise I probably wouldn't be here writing this seeing as I would have dropped the damn thing long ago.

However, due to the numbing amount of action it has tried to cram down our throats at an even more numbing pace even it (the show) is aware of coupled with a lack of story and character development to give said action weight, it is severely lacking in depth and impact.

I liken "Kill la Kill" to a summer blockbuster, popcorn entertainment that will be nothing but a foggy memory in the minds of its viewers once it's over.

It is far from bad but simultaneously far from great. It's just...there.

A failure in execution, I guess... story-wise, anyway.

Simply because the writer is an emotional cock-tease.

Feb 4, 2014 11:36 PM
Oct 2013
I had so much written in reply going over each of your points and disagreeing with every one of them.

Then I am greatly disappointed that you didn't put it to use; it would have been far more interesting than simply reiterating what you've already said half a dozen times with some extra "IMO"s. Guess that's the end of that.
Feb 5, 2014 2:43 AM
Apr 2013
Guess that's the end of that.

Lol I guess so, yeah. Struggling to talk about a show that has very little going for it content-wise with someone who it does have enough going for it content is pretty hard you know (without things dissolving into insult trading territory very quickly).

That said, popcorn entertainment has its place. What I don't agree with is when people try to make it seem like it's more than it actually is, hence my disagreeing with everything you brought up.

No characters who don't move the plot forward can't be anything other than mildly entertaining and forgettable. Example Tsumugu who literally just came, wrecked shit and that had no reprucussions despite the fact that combat data was gathered on him (they didn't do a god damn thing with that). Same with Mikisugi sensei who is pretty much an exposition character who's one saving grace is he strips thereby giving defensive fans a defense against people who claim "Kill la Kill" is sexist.

No Ragyo hasn't done anything else (unless you count holding a speech and letting Nui run wild, something we don't explicitly see). So far she's walked around with an invisible sign around her neck with the words "Final Boss" scrawled on it.

Yes Mako's interaction with the newly demoted three stars would serve as a reminder of their own humanity in a more capable writer's hands. It would be especially true for Nonon, given that she is used to being above others.

Also no the three stars don't talk to no-stars they talk AT them (see Gamagoori in ep 1 and 4 and Sanageyama beating 1-sta Takarada with a stick when he failed to get the scissor from Ryuuko in episode 1) and yes Mako would technically be special because if Ryuuko was in Satsuki's system she'd technically be a 10 star (100% life fibers) and therefore higher than the three stars in rank and by association with a 10 star rank Mako would be technically special.

And no I don't think the writer had a point when he made Ryuuko go from sad to determined in the space of one or two episodes. He simply robbed the event of its emotional weight by having Ryuuko ride a bike, slash at a couple of one-stars at random and get pieces of Senketsu back, only for Senketsu to start healing himself (wtf?). Rushed, rushed, rushed, first-draft writing IN MY OPINION.

Finally, Satsuki's "plan" is still irritatingly shrouded in mystery. You'd think 16 episodes was enough to reveal something but since this show is shallow, doesn't focus on character relationships all that much but on action and doesn't seem to know where it's going, it's pretty hard to sympathize with any characters affected by it when how said characters are affected by it lacks impact.

Satsuki wrecked a few cities: What's the consequence of that?
She destroyed the nudist beach base: Oh wait, it's still okay.
She made her four stars fight Ryuuko thereby improving their uniforms: Whoops we don't get to see said uniforms in action during the battle field trip. Blatant disregard of the "Actions Have Consequences"/"Cause and Effect" rule of writing.

So yeah, show could've been awesome, isn't but isn't bad, reason why I have so much criticism for it but haven't dropped it yet, can't see how I'd sell it to other anime fans who've yet to watch it blah blah blah the end.
ollythirteenFeb 5, 2014 2:47 AM

Feb 5, 2014 2:47 PM

Apr 2011
sentience said:
Oh my that 1-2 minute speed recap was so awesome on so many levels.

And that's how recaps should be done. THE STANDARD HAS BEEN SET WORLD!!!
Feb 5, 2014 3:58 PM
Oct 2013
ollythirteen said:
Lol I guess so, yeah. Struggling to talk about a show that has very little going for it content-wise with someone who it does have enough going for it content is pretty hard you know (without things dissolving into insult trading territory very quickly).

All arguments are like that. You won't actually understand another person's perspective unless you break everything down into the raw details.

That said, popcorn entertainment has its place. What I don't agree with is when people try to make it seem like it's more than it actually is, hence my disagreeing with everything you brought up.

And I don't agree with people trying to make it seem like it's less than it actually is.

No characters who don't move the plot forward can't be anything other than mildly entertaining and forgettable. Example Tsumugu who literally just came, wrecked shit and that had no reprucussions despite the fact that combat data was gathered on him (they didn't do a god damn thing with that). Same with Mikisugi sensei who is pretty much an exposition character who's one saving grace is he strips thereby giving defensive fans a defense against people who claim "Kill la Kill" is sexist.

And now, we find ourselves at an impasse. I find those characters interesting for the way they complement others and add onto the theme, as everything in a plot is to be viewed within the context of the story's theme; you don't find them interesting or you just don't see that. We may have to concede this point.

No Ragyo hasn't done anything else (unless you count holding a speech and letting Nui run wild, something we don't explicitly see). So far she's walked around with an invisible sign around her neck with the words "Final Boss" scrawled on it.

The speech is what I was getting at. She was the first character to directly address the theme, the story question: "What is clothing?"

Yes Mako's interaction with the newly demoted three stars would serve as a reminder of their own humanity in a more capable writer's hands. It would be especially true for Nonon, given that she is used to being above others.

Satsuki taught Jakuzure to build her tower inside of her mind, so whether she's an elite or a no-star, she's going to look down on commoners. Gamagoori had clearly stood up for the less fortunate before, but nevertheless chose to serve Satsuki, who chose him specifically for his resolve, so it's true to his character that it wouldn't have a huge impact on him. Inumuta seems to have always had an obsession with data and knowledge, with little interest in actual people. What would feel forced is Mako having much of an impact on any of them.

Also no the three stars don't talk to no-stars they talk AT them (see Gamagoori in ep 1 and 4 and Sanageyama beating 1-sta Takarada with a stick when he failed to get the scissor from Ryuuko in episode 1) and yes Mako would technically be special because if Ryuuko was in Satsuki's system she'd technically be a 10 star (100% life fibers) and therefore higher than the three stars in rank and by association with a 10 star rank Mako would be technically special.

I said they've probably talked with no-stars before, or before the time of Honnouji Academy, with people of similar stature. Even with Senketsu, Ryuuko is still an outcast living in the slums. Whether Mako's associated with Ryuuko or not, she is physically weak and acts much different from Ryuuko.

And no I don't think the writer had a point when he made Ryuuko go from sad to determined in the space of one or two episodes. He simply robbed the event of its emotional weight by having Ryuuko ride a bike, slash at a couple of one-stars at random and get pieces of Senketsu back, only for Senketsu to start healing himself (wtf?). Rushed, rushed, rushed, first-draft writing IN MY OPINION.

It clearly wasn't meant to be all that sad, considering they decided to leave a piece with Ryuuko and still allow him to talk to her. Her shift in motivation was blatantly the focus, as shown by her later interaction with Satsuki.

Finally, Satsuki's "plan" is still irritatingly shrouded in mystery. You'd think 16 episodes was enough to reveal something but since this show is shallow, doesn't focus on character relationships all that much but on action and doesn't seem to know where it's going, it's pretty hard to sympathize with any characters affected by it when how said characters are affected by it lacks impact.

It has been very heavily suggested that Satsuki wants to be more than a pawn in her mother's plans (Satsuki's regal bearing, only donning Junketsu because she needs to, and Ragyou's publicly displayed vanity and scandalous clothing; Satsuki's righteousness, Ragyou's shameless celebration of sin; Satsuki's loyal and righteous elites vs. the undependable, sociopathic Nui), and that she wants to use Ryuuko to achieve that end (letting her escape several times, saving her from Nui).

Satsuki wrecked a few cities: What's the consequence of that?
She destroyed the nudist beach base: Oh wait, it's still okay.
She made her four stars fight Ryuuko thereby improving their uniforms: Whoops we don't get to see said uniforms in action during the battle field trip. Blatant disregard of the "Actions Have Consequences"/"Cause and Effect" rule of writing.

What consequence would you expect from that?
Nudist Beach lost a good number of soldiers, so they probably won't be able to take much action during the Sports and Cultural Festival and will be busy training, making new weapons, forming new strategies, regrouping, etc.
We didn't see them in action (much), but they certainly seem to have made a difference in the battle against Takarada and Nudist Beach.
Feb 5, 2014 11:40 PM

Jan 2014
I preferred the old OP and ED ._.
other than that... i think it was an fantastic episode and a good and fast recap.
I wonder what will happen now when Ryuuko don't want to save the world and use senketsu as a weapon :o
Feb 6, 2014 12:57 AM

Jul 2008
I don't know how I feel about this show. I still feel like nothing has happened. There was the Battlefield Trip, the Naturals Election, etc, but those didn't really DO anything except make Ryuuko stronger or further expand the influence of the Kiryuuin conglomerate. The only thing we have learned is who killed Ryuuko's father and what the life fibers are. I am not saying it is bad, it's just I thought we would be somewhere a lot further down the line by this point.
Feb 6, 2014 3:45 AM
Apr 2013
@ Kokopelli

I give. My fighting spirit has been dissolved in the face of your calm responses and iron clad resolve

Well, in truth I just feel like the bad guy here. So...yeah, see you in "Kill la Kill episode 17 discussion" lol

If that episode doesn't deliver expect a powered up me complete with blue aura and tiger/dragon background.

GarLogan78 said:
I don't know how I feel about this show. I still feel like nothing has happened. There was the Battlefield Trip, the Naturals Election, etc, but those didn't really DO anything except make Ryuuko stronger or further expand the influence of the Kiryuuin conglomerate. The only thing we have learned is who killed Ryuuko's father and what the life fibers are. I am not saying it is bad, it's just I thought we would be somewhere a lot further down the line by this point.

My feelings on the show boiled down into a few sentences.

Glad to know I'm not crazy for being unable to ignore the show's major flaw.

Bring on episode 17 and beyond though let's see if those episodes will end the show at a 6/10 rating in my eyes.
rodacFeb 6, 2014 7:22 PM

Feb 6, 2014 12:07 PM
Jul 2018
Did anyone else laugh when Satsuki questioned Harime?

Satsuki: What do you want?
Harime: Don't get all, ''What do you want'' with me.

Thew way Harime lowered her voice for that part was quite humorous for me.
Feb 7, 2014 8:21 AM

Mar 2008
Delicious. Space Invaders are always a valid reveal.

Looks likely that Satsuki really does have gekokujo on her mind. Will there be a coup when mumma visits school?
Feb 7, 2014 8:29 AM
Jul 2011
New OP is more interesting to watch than previous one but the first OP theme was more catchy. Regardless I love the way the new OP goes through different outfits for the characters. One of the long dress-like outfits for Ryuko looked badass (it was brief but I guess that was her Flying Mode, just never saw her standing still with it).

New ED is kind of disappointing if that's the final one for the rest of series. Cute Mako doing Cute Stuff but that seem more like a first series half ED.

This episode was probably the most vunlerable Satsuki has came across ever. Nice to see. Also new recap standard has been set, hah.
Feb 7, 2014 9:38 AM

Feb 2014
...Don't jump on me for this, but... am I one of the very few who found the sex scene disturbing? ;-;
I mean, it's... her MOM.
Even for yuri fans, I... don't quite understand it. I'm not into yuri, and I'm straight but I do find women fairly attractive. And I can see how the scene could be considered "sexy" if it wasn't her mom... the lewdness, the moaning, Satsuki's blushing face... but I was too offput by the idea that it was the woman who birthed her to be turned on by it.
...I mean, I prefer yaoi but I would be really turned off if a dad and son started getting down, even if they were both attractive.
It's easier to accept if it's proven to be consensual, but we really don't hear Satsuki's feelings about it, so...
Anyways. Other than that, good episode.
Man, it's sad. I was a big fan of Satsuki's mom due to her epic character design, but... now I just find her character disturbing. >w<
Feb 7, 2014 1:06 PM

Jul 2013
So glad the new op arrived. And Senketsu was right, my heart did sink when he said "marathon episode" at the beginning XD

So we find out the true story behind the life fibers and what they are. Aliens... that's interesting. Love the final panel. Everyone is all serious while Mako is fooling around with snacks in a corner.
Feb 8, 2014 12:24 AM

Jul 2008
Now that is how you do a recap episode....plus mother-daughter rape and clothes are aliens trying to take over the world.....okay then.
Feb 8, 2014 6:01 PM

Jan 2010
thank god the recap was only 2 minutes long, i am very arigatoful
Feb 10, 2014 2:19 AM

Jun 2008
Everything about this episode was absolutely awesome.

Slowly but surely, this anime has been growing on me.
Feb 13, 2014 1:44 PM

Jan 2011
Satsuki's mother is wearing surprisingly little all the time, given that she is the head (well, the human head, if the life fibers ultimately control it all) of COVERS, and chief enemy of Nudist Beach.

And it looks like Ryuuko is not only in need of more uniforms, but underwear as well, unless she simply likes blue stripes so much that she doesn't have any with different colors.

Also: How old is Satsuki's mother exactly? Didn't they say she discovered the life fibers 200 years ago, or did i miss something in between?
Feb 15, 2014 2:41 PM

Aug 2011
I like the new OP, new ED was pretty good too but doesn't beat the previous one.

Really great episode once again even from the beginning with the 'recap'. That's why I love this show! I enjoyed the bath scene and the explanations of the life fibers.
Feb 17, 2014 7:48 AM

Jun 2012
I probably should have seen this Spiderman 3-esque thing coming, but alas, it surprised me. Well played KLK.

The fast recap was nice.
Feb 18, 2014 10:25 AM

Jul 2013
The OP!!!!!
And again Kill la Kill amazes!
Feb 21, 2014 2:45 PM

Jun 2008
I think by the way Satsuki said "We will welcome you with open arms, mother" it's clear Satsuki dislikes her mothers plans.
Besides when she was recruiting those divas she was always telling them it was about changing the world etc.
It's obvious she plans to fight her mother. That is why she used Ryuko to improve the uniforms of her men and at also why she help Ryuko become stronger at the same time. With Ryuko by her side she can finally fight against her mother.
Until now she probably played the obedient daughter role just so she would told the full truth that she finally got to see in this episode. Now that she finally knows and knows her enemy she will betray her mother.

Btw hot bath scene was hot. Hope we get to see what was hidden in the Blu-Ray. Especially the rack of the mother. Those were in full view, it's criminal to hide such a nice pair.
Feb 24, 2014 11:01 AM

Aug 2013
Awesome recap and in overall, a great episode
Feb 25, 2014 1:53 PM
Dec 2012
Recap episode... or not.

Dat daughter molesting tho.
Feb 27, 2014 2:49 AM

Feb 2011
Forget the alien shizz , dat bath scene though HNGGG
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2013

264 by Tamasul »»
Jun 1, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2013

300 by Tamasul »»
May 31, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

879 by bubba460z »»
May 31, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2013

337 by Kamirura »»
May 29, 9:13 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2013

189 by Tamasul »»
May 27, 1:01 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.