Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Oct 11, 2018 4:06 PM
Jul 2018
Better episode. The "feels" moments don't have a good enough build-up yet but it's better than last episode. Iris seems like an interesting character and I want to know more about her life in the country, how she became a doll, etc. Honestly, this episode made me wish Iris was the main character. Violet is about the same as previous episodes. I still want to know more about Violet's backstory/relationship with Gilbert and how Hodgins comes into all of this. World-building is still bad and I don't expect it to get better since it seems like the show will remain episodic. Animation isn't as over-the-top/obnoxious as previous episodes. They toned down the amount of sweeping camera-shots and constant music. More of a 6/10 now but I don't think it will get any higher unless something truly incredible happens.
removed-userOct 11, 2018 4:09 PM
Nov 18, 2018 8:29 PM

Nov 2013
Boring episode. So far this anime seems really overrated. Just melodramatic nonsense with little substance.

At least the main character and animation are good.

Dec 15, 2018 7:18 PM

Jun 2015
the animation for this anime is so gorgeous, i cant help looking at it. i miss some of the subtitles and have to rewind back cause i get caught up in looking at the art
Dec 21, 2018 9:59 PM

Nov 2018
I haven't read the manga so I don't have anything to compare it to.
I liked this episode enough.
It seemed like Violet was starting to understand emotion a little bit more, and she wrote her second good letter. Good for her.
I do hope the story does pick up just a bit more thou.
Dec 26, 2018 8:09 AM
Oct 2018
I think I finally understand this very pretty anime, with very nice production values. Violet is retarded, and it's like a weird anime version of Forest Gump. But with cyborg arms.
Dec 27, 2018 1:00 PM

Mar 2016
Now I see what the show is trying to do. Character developments through experience! Violet will be met with events such as the one in this episode where she wrote a letter to the party guests and Iris' parents. By doing so, Violet's skill in conveying feeling through the letter is improved, thus she gets closer and closer to understanding the human emotions that she deems complex and finally get a step closer to knowing the meaning behind her Major's "I love you"

Violet's reaction to hearing that her letter was good was so cute! I still want to see her smile for real though...
Dec 30, 2018 1:33 PM
Sep 2018
This is more a problem with the last few episodes but there are far too many flashbacks in this series. Flashbacks are way too easy to create an emotion from the audience. They are cheap and the sign of a new screenwriter.

I liked the OP the first time in ep 3 but it is starting to wear on me.

This was probably the first real episodic episode in that little focus was placed on the main character. If we see Iris fleshed out more then this will improve my opinion of this episode but if she disappears then this will lower my opinion.

Also they speak about the house of lords and house of commons like this is England. The series is obviously trying to confuse us.

-German helmets
-German city names
-German word structure for city names
-Main character has blonde hair and blue eyes
-Germans have a fetish for wunderwaffes

Please note that the fact that they had elections before the war does not disqualify Germany from the list. Germany started have elections in 1848, long before Germany even existed. The Chancellor of Germany at the outbreak of ww1 was Bethmenn von holtweg. Germany also had an emperor though who shared powers with Bethmenn von holtweg which isn't all that much different from England at the time.

However, in this episode they did mention the name of an empire that doesn't exist and so we have confirmation that this is a split timeline. Regardless, there is an obvious German aesthetic to the show.

P.S. I am watching the show on a potato laptop so I can not see in it all its glorious visual quality. This may reduce my enjoyment of the series but there are no other potions.

The music is also very showy in this series. I like it but they really like to show it off.
Jan 23, 2019 6:15 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Violet has reached a new enlightening considering her case, she finally managed to move everybody with her letter, I also loved the Irises at the end of the episode and how they tie up Iris' name, that girl was truly loved by her family.
The moment when Violet introduced herself to Iris' family is my favorite in the series so far, so angelic and delicate it had me rewind that part more than I care to admit.
Really loving the opening and ending sequences.
Feb 26, 2019 8:23 PM

Dec 2018
ZzZzZzZzZz
so far a meh/10
May 7, 2019 8:02 AM

Feb 2013
Her parents had a good intention but it didn't work as they thought it would.
And lool, why did that guy accept the invitation?
May 26, 2019 12:11 AM

Sep 2012
u can't lie when violet is around cause she blurrs all out 😂😂😂

she is amusing and entertaining as f (also cute)
Sugram22May 26, 2019 12:14 AM
May 26, 2019 11:43 AM
May 2012
Despite all the negativity here, I actually quite enjoy it.....it's just simple and relaxing to me, which is something I really need at the moment.
Oct 3, 2019 4:40 AM

Mar 2015
Nice episode, some development for Iris.. wonder if all the other Dolls will get chances like this
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 13, 2020 2:15 AM

Oct 2010
Out of all the side characters I was most interested in Iris. Glad we got to see a little of where shes from and her backstory. I hope that guy would come back to her because she seems like a mature lady :)
Apr 20, 2020 2:27 PM
May 2019
In my opinion opening is good enough
May 8, 2020 12:50 AM

Aug 2019
Violet is still not likable at all, actually she seems even more dumb in this episode. And it focused on Iris, whom I never liked from the start. I feel like this is going nowhere. Also, the whole scene where Violet curtsied and said her name with the wind and the leaves sweeping up was so ridiculously over dramatic that I actually started laughing. I'm not even gushing over the animation, not a fan of overly beautiful things, but I'll admit that the scene with the field of irises was beautiful and the flashback was interesting.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
May 11, 2020 8:50 PM

Jun 2009
aww 😞 the parellel of their naming

Oct 17, 2020 9:43 AM
Sep 2020
I really like this, because it's really good
Dec 2, 2020 6:53 AM

Jul 2020
I am genuinely surprised to see how controversial this show is.
Dec 19, 2020 9:14 AM

Jan 2019
No, she may not be accomplishing anything grand, but she's clearly growing into her understanding of emotions. I for one enjoy a slow paced story about personal growth.

Of course, I don't have the expectations that someone who was a fan of the source material has.
May 2, 2021 1:50 AM

Aug 2018
A general issue (if you even want to call it that) I have with kyoani shows is that they often seem over-animated. Like that scene when they were walking down the stairs and their hair was bouncing up and down, I appreciate the attention to detail but it was a bit distracting, they should have made it bounce a bit less in my opinion.

Anyway, this was one of the better episodes
_______I like rocks__
May 14, 2021 11:16 PM

Jan 2010
I took about a half year break from Violet Evergarden due to distractions and life in general.

Coming back to episode 4, I think the break really helped. Violet shouldn't be the main focus of every episode. Rather, having episodes like this where she takes a bystander role works so much better. This allows the world to be fleshed out a little more, it allows other characters to gave more screen time in, it reduces the repetitive personal issues Violet keeps bringing up, and it lets Violet develop as a character through watching others develop as well. Once again, the audiovisuals in this anime are amazing, and giving some time to take in the atmosphere gave me new appreciation for the series.

Despite being called "Violet Evergarden," this anime shouldn't just be about Violet, but about the world she lives in. If she's a blank slate, then the world around her would need to fill in for the void left by her empty character. In doing so, hopefully she can be fleshed out and become a character unto herself by the end.
Jul 6, 2021 12:54 PM

Jan 2021
This episode was alright.
I’m starting to like violet a bit more.
Nov 23, 2021 8:36 AM
Jul 2019
And Violet seems to be getting better at writing letters, but Iris' story is weird too. But her parents don't understand why they want to marry her if she doesn't want to. 😐 And that guy doesn't understand what he's to blame for just refusing sheep, 😐 We still have a lot to learn.
Nov 29, 2021 11:07 AM

Jun 2016
Iris didn't take that rejection from Emonn too well. Heck, it almost ruined her relationship with her parents. Thankfully, Violet was able to ghostwrite her apology to them in a letter -which tbh is rather strange considering they're in the same house, lol.

Iris needs to get rid of those heels. She's way too danger prone to be wearing them.

The background scenery is always so gorgeous to look at.

When it comes to naming conventions, you can't seem to go wrong with naming your child/weapon after a flower, eh.

Dec 20, 2021 8:52 PM

Mar 2021
Don't be catty, Iris. You realize Violet was a child soldier, right? She could kick your ass if she really wanted to.

Also, how nice of her to give Violet credit for the letter when she was the one speaking it, yeah?
MeanMrMusicianDec 20, 2021 8:59 PM
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Jan 18, 2022 9:40 PM
Jul 2020
This episode was cute. ik a lot of people disliked it, but I thought the interactions between Violet and Iris were funny and added to their characterizations, really fleshing them out as people. Can't wait to delve more into Violet's backstory tho, loved that hint we got at the end.
Oct 9, 2022 3:14 AM
Feb 2019
this was amazing, i enjoy how pretty it was
Oct 11, 2022 6:19 AM
Jun 2022
Gorgeous animation again, series is starting to get going. Animation still gorgeous, used well within the episode with reflections in the train windows as Iris and Violet consider who they are and/or want to be.
Oct 29, 2022 9:16 AM
Aug 2021
Violet is such a snitch omg
Oct 30, 2022 11:44 AM

Sep 2013
This is such a great anime an it shows how communicating things well makes all the difference, doesn't it
Nov 2, 2022 3:02 PM
May 2022
The animation is absolutely beautiful, the story is also great. I even cried 2 times!!
Btw I'm sure that Violet is autistic xD
Jan 13, 2023 4:44 PM

Jan 2011
so, its not bad so far but its carried by its amazing visuals NGL, Violet is so clueless that it gets a bit annoying 
Jan 17, 2023 8:39 PM
Jan 2023
Finalmente ela conseguiu escrever uma carta que tocou o coração de alguem.Nem tinha parado pra pensar que o nome dela e de uma flor,ter burrice e complicado
Feb 3, 2023 5:45 AM
Nov 2010
The writing so far is as shallow as the puddle that Iris stepped in twice, stale water, mud and all. 
Feb 25, 2023 3:26 PM
Aug 2020
Wallah It was aight, but appailing
Mar 14, 2023 7:57 PM

Oct 2021
Violet and Iris' names are named after flowers. So nice to see the character developments in this episode!

-------------------------
Marianne

~Effort, Fortitude, and Tenacity
Apr 9, 2023 5:43 PM

Jan 2022
Wholesome that both gals were named after flowers. The title of the episode was also wholesome. I like the comparison of what Violet went through with the Major and the current events happening in front of her. Violet is slowly having character development, which is nice to see! Somehow I always either cry or get teary-eyed from all of the episodes thus far. The visuals are still amazing and continue to be beautiful
This never updates so that's cool
Apr 12, 2023 9:02 PM
Mar 2022
before i didn't understand but i like the major now

this anime is my favorite
Apr 13, 2023 7:17 AM
Aug 2022
omg this brod is boring af. no wonder she doesn't get the reason why she is loved. i don't get it either.
Apr 18, 2023 3:57 PM

Jan 2020
cool melancholic episode. It's meant to be boring u morons xd It's not an action anime. 
May 26, 2023 5:30 PM
May 2023
Um...idk if I'm okay with Violet being fourteen...how old was the major? Do I even want to know?
Jun 12, 2023 8:47 AM

Apr 2013
I definitely can understand Iris in this episode, being so happy to be demanded only to learn that it wasn't an actual request... I would be kinda mad as well.
Aug 18, 2023 5:59 AM
Aug 2023
floqer...... eat
Nov 26, 2023 2:58 AM
Jun 2022
No final, o pai da Iris dar flores pra ela me fez querer soltar algumas lagrimas
Dec 17, 2023 1:05 AM
Nov 2023
What good bonding moments
Feb 6, 3:38 PM
Apr 2023
Iris is very pretty, but Violet is on another level....
Mar 23, 6:01 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Looks like a lot of people didn't really like this episode- it is the lowest-rated one out of them all. Whatever the reason is, fair enough, it is apparently just some filler that wasn't in the novels after all. Filler or not though, it fits in very well with the overarching theme.

We'll be pretty much following the same formula throughout, but I for one am loving seeing Violet take even just baby steps in understanding human emotion. And not just her, but the same goes equally as much for the people she will be writing letters for. They usually see how straight to the point Violet is with her thoughts and feelings, saying how everything is as it is without any complexity or layers to it- and they learn to somewhat be the same in conveying their own feelings to another which can be hard to do. We have character dynamics bouncing off one another, character growth happening simultaneously, iron sharpening iron if you will... and I think it's beautiful to see.

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 17, 2:18 PM
Jan 2022
Quite bittersweet and relatable :)
Jun 10, 8:08 AM
Jun 2021
Iris and Violet's scenes were very impressive.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

424 by marta_valse »»
Yesterday, 12:18 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

572 by marta_valse »»
Jun 11, 11:53 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2018

235 by Thereisnoonehere »»
Jun 10, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

624 by Thereisnoonehere »»
Jun 10, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

240 by Hevants »»
Jun 10, 10:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.