Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (20) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Sep 19, 2014 11:44 AM

Apr 2014
MeiMisaki1525 said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
I think it's normal to consider stuff older than yourself as old, and maybe stuff from your early childhood. I just find it weird when people who are 20 or older consider stuff from 5-8 years ago as old. When a 14 year old does it it's more udnerstandable.

What the fuck's the difference? It's still time.
Let me put what you just said in perpective. You are talking about time itself right. So you are saying that a 40 year old woman and a 45 year old man who are dating is exactly the same as a 18 year old guy that's dating a 13 year old girl.
Hmm.. In my opinion Higashi_no_kaze has a point.
Sep 19, 2014 11:50 AM

Aug 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
MeiMisaki1525 said:

What the fuck's the difference? It's still time.
Let me put what you just said in perpective. You are talking about time itself right. So you are saying that a 40 year old woman and a 45 year old man who are dating is exactly the same as a 18 year old guy that's dating a 13 year old girl.

How in the FUCK does that even make sense or is relevant to any part of the sentence I just typed?
Sep 19, 2014 11:51 AM

Feb 2010
It's not like there is any mathematical formula to define old, people just express their subjective impression of what is old to them. That doesn't mean that any definition is reasonable though. People who call stuff from 2009 old are either 10-12 years old, measure 'old' from the time they started watching anime (which is unreasonable imo) or are just random. *shrugs*
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 19, 2014 11:52 AM

Apr 2014
MeiMisaki1525 said:
Milk_is_Special said:

How in the FUCK does that even make sense or is relevant to any part of the sentence I just typed?
You said "What the fuck's the difference, it is still time". I put time in perspective in that one sentence. :)
Sep 19, 2014 11:54 AM

Aug 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
MeiMisaki1525 said:

You said "What the fuck's the difference, it is still time". I put time in perspective in that one sentence. :)

That was irrelevant, seeing as how that "perspective" dealt with age and morality, and not time. I thought you knew the difference but it seems you don't. :)
Sep 19, 2014 12:02 PM

Jul 2013
Soon we will all become Newtypes and see time itself
Sep 19, 2014 12:09 PM

Aug 2014
hybreezy said:

Do you mean newfags or what?
Sep 19, 2014 12:11 PM

Oct 2012
MeiMisaki1525 said:
hybreezy said:

smh

I'm only on episode 25 of MSG, but still, smh.
Sep 19, 2014 12:13 PM

Aug 2014
IFuckedAPie said:
MeiMisaki1525 said:

smh

What's MSG?
Sep 19, 2014 12:15 PM

Aug 2013
MeiMisaki1525 said:
hybreezy said:

EDIT:

MeiMisaki1525 said:
IFuckedAPie said:
smh

What's MSG?

Champloo_RemixSep 19, 2014 12:24 PM
Sep 19, 2014 12:15 PM

Aug 2014
Champloo_Remix said:
MeiMisaki1525 said:

lol
Sep 19, 2014 12:35 PM

Jul 2012
I'm a newfag.
Don't like it. Sorry. The colors, the artistic design of the characters. I really can't bring myself to watch it.
Sep 19, 2014 12:41 PM

Aug 2014
Tespith said:
I'm a newfag.
Don't like it. Sorry. The colors, the artistic design of the characters. I really can't bring myself to watch it.

Newfags are cute. Let us be friends.
Sep 19, 2014 1:24 PM

Sep 2014
Personally I feel myself enjoying things from the past rather than the present. Shows like Gunbuster and the earlier mecha shows are up my alley. However I also loved the more recent sequel Diebuster which is filled to the brim with more modern anime tropes (although Diebuster itself is old these days I guess).

When watching a show like Gunbuster the age is visible and audible right off the bat but I love it. It'd be ridiculous to say old shows don't share some of the tropes seen today, in fact Gainax are pretty much the inventors of said tropes, Gainax bounce and teens wearing skimpy outfits with big busts included. I guess I don't know what it is then that draws me into the earlier shows. They seem more visceral and daring. More bleak, less clean. I'm not a fan of the super clean looks you get on OVA's these days. Shit looks too sterile too me.

Having said that, anime is decisive in the way it presents itself by virtue of being....anime. I feel that if the characters are good, the story is interesting and the soundtrack is great then I get drawn in either way. From Space Runaway to Kill la Kill, and Nausicaa to The Wind Rises.

Give the old stuff a go, don't be too judgmental and try to enjoy them if for anything the historical factor.
Sep 19, 2014 7:59 PM

Jun 2014
Honestly alot of the older anime is just harder to find online, and in English. Mostly the ones in the 1970's-80's category. All the stuff in the "golden age of anime" all have likable art styles and animation.

It really just depends on the studio and budget.
Sep 19, 2014 8:03 PM

Jul 2014
astro boy is old

Sep 19, 2014 8:05 PM

Sep 2013
nucblus said:
I tried to write a lot of things here but i only came off as a total asshole with the things I had to say.

So I'll just ask: What do you think of these people who stray away from old anime?

I personally can't stand them. I mean, I would at least be able to understand them if their preferences had something to do with the content of the shows. But they don't.

They just think old animation is bad.

And it's not.

Bad time to add that I dropped Cowboy Bebop and Trigun because they were too old.
Sep 19, 2014 8:56 PM

Jul 2012
WlLL said:
astro boy is old

tezuka is old.
Sep 19, 2014 8:58 PM

Dec 2012
Man old anime just plain sucks, I couldn't even get through Madoka Magica cause it's so outdated.

2014orleave
Sep 20, 2014 3:28 AM

Apr 2014
Ratohnhaketon said:
Man old anime just plain sucks, I couldn't even get through Madoka Magica cause it's so outdated.

2014orleave
Wow, then why do you have pretty old shows in your animelist.
Sep 20, 2014 3:36 AM

Jun 2014
I dont think old anime are bad, just alot of bad animes happen to be old
Sep 20, 2014 3:47 AM
Sep 2007
If most today anime weren't harem garbage, maybe I wouldn't have to go back to past to see better things.

I mean, I prefer much more today's animation and art (although oldschool also have some charm), but when story is garbage, then I can't enjoy in anything else about it.
Sep 20, 2014 4:02 AM

Sep 2014
Qans said:

I'm not soo sure about that. I think it's consistent across the board. In fact I'd go as far as to say that today you get a lot more sub-par shows due to the commercialization of everything. No more Wings of Honneamise watershed moments. Every era has both great and not so great shows and I guess with things like the internet today the bad stuff sticks out more. I also feel that in general since anime is a lot more widespread today you find shows that cover more niche topics and unconventional stories, but also shows that look identical across the board. I think I can relate in a way since I prefer the old stuff and don't really like the look of the new stuff. Of course in any case I never dismiss something and try to give everything a go.

I guess to be fair when comparing new anime to old, the old anime referenced are usually the 'masterpieces' while the new shows are just the usual productions. I think really only time will tell in regards to how this stuff holds up.
Sep 20, 2014 6:06 AM

Nov 2012
Older anime, or anything rather (books, movies, music) that are still highly regarded today will always be considered better than the new stuff. That's just how it works. If you want to see the best that anime can offer, you can't only stick to the past ~7 years.
Sep 20, 2014 12:32 PM

Jul 2012
The scary thing, I didn't even know the term newfag was being thrown around in the thread. Talk about convenient timing.
Sep 20, 2014 12:36 PM

Jul 2012
Qaiz said:
I guess to be fair when comparing new anime to old, the old anime referenced are usually the 'masterpieces' while the new shows are just the usual productions. I think really only time will tell in regards to how this stuff holds up.

I think this is becoming a problem - the fact that people judge newer shows so harshly while they give credit to older shows when both have a fair share of flaws. As someone who doesn't prefer either (well, I do sometimes if I feel like watching a specific new one), I don't see a huge difference in quality.
Sep 20, 2014 2:47 PM

Feb 2010
Qaiz said:
Qans said:

I'm not soo sure about that. I think it's consistent across the board. In fact I'd go as far as to say that today you get a lot more sub-par shows due to the commercialization of everything. No more Wings of Honneamise watershed moments. Every era has both great and not so great shows and I guess with things like the internet today the bad stuff sticks out more. I also feel that in general since anime is a lot more widespread today you find shows that cover more niche topics and unconventional stories, but also shows that look identical across the board. I think I can relate in a way since I prefer the old stuff and don't really like the look of the new stuff. Of course in any case I never dismiss something and try to give everything a go.

As a fan of old anime I have to say there is more old trash than nowadays. At least in terms of MAL entries. Of course old trash used to have 1 or 2 OVA episodes while today it can be up to 50 episodes (or also a short like Pupa) so another way to put it is that old trash has more variety to it because the series are much shorter :>.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 20, 2014 3:04 PM

Jun 2007
Tespith said:
I'm a newfag.
Funny, I wasn't aware that they'd invented a whole lot of new colors in the last 10-15 years.

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Sep 20, 2014 3:06 PM

Jul 2012
Zalis said:
Tespith said:
I'm a newfag.
Funny, I wasn't aware that they'd invented a whole lot of new colors in the last 10-15 years.

What they mean are the colour palettes, not actual colours.
Like, do we have pale pastel palettes like Natsume Yuujinchou or Kimi to Boku back then?
Or bright, rainbowy colours like Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun or Meganebu?
Sep 20, 2014 3:25 PM

Mar 2013
Not even the colour palettes, just the dark, grainy, de-saturated look of actual painted cels as opposed to digital coloring.
Sep 20, 2014 3:59 PM

Apr 2014
fst said:
Not even the colour palettes, just the dark, grainy, de-saturated look of actual painted cels as opposed to digital coloring.
digital coloring did always attract me more then handcolored animation.
Sep 20, 2014 9:23 PM

Jun 2010
... Are stupid.

Simple as that.
Sep 20, 2014 10:08 PM
Jun 2009
People just have different opinions?? Like seriously, liking old anime or the new anime doesn't make you better than anyone else. And not being able to withstand the old animation? It is possible, like have you seen aot. Whether you like it or not, the animation is outstanding.

Also old anime doesn't use much of bright colors which something I'm very into. Like free or gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun. And also, I watch anime online, and the quality for old anime are not the greatest.
Sep 21, 2014 12:46 AM

Feb 2013
hybreezy said:

Sep 21, 2014 12:49 AM

Dec 2012
vongola-undecimo said:
hybreezy said:

Too old, thankfully there's the remake

Sep 21, 2014 1:02 AM

Aug 2012
Well, for someone like me who doesn't really prefer old anime (I'm talking 90's and below here), it's just that I really dislike animation of it all. When your first anime are like Guilty Crown, Fate/Zero, and Angel Beats, the fluid animation just grows on you. Then you start watching stuff like Gundam Seed with all its glorious repeat frames, pink smoke, reused animations and the likes, it's just really hard to adapt.

But then again, it's all about the story for me. So unless the plot is really good, you'll find it quite difficult to make me watch anything old.
What do you think? The meaning of our existence. Why do we continue to live?
~Iris Rain Umbrella, my favorite robot
Sep 21, 2014 1:03 AM

Feb 2014
I agree that the shitty animation is cringy but look past that fact and you see legitimately amazing anime.

Sep 21, 2014 2:33 AM

Apr 2014
Ratohnhaketon said:
vongola-undecimo said:

Too old, thankfully there's the remake

I don't know why I laughed so hard at this xD
Sep 21, 2014 4:50 AM
Nov 2013
The Problem with old and by that I mean 60s/70s/80s, there's not much storytelling and more flashy flashy or this is how it is because I told you so type deal, as well as important story elements not explained, i couldn't find a single series in the 60s and only found 2 watch-able in the 70s due to plot holes and simplistic writing.
Sep 21, 2014 5:41 AM

May 2013
Rebyuuu said:
The Problem with old and by that I mean 60s/70s/80s, there's not much storytelling and more flashy flashy or this is how it is because I told you so type deal, as well as important story elements not explained, i couldn't find a single series in the 60s and only found 2 watch-able in the 70s due to plot holes and simplistic writing.

You got it mixed up with new anime.
Sep 21, 2014 5:43 AM
Nov 2013
kokkoderrisch said:
Rebyuuu said:

You got it mixed up with new anime.
Yeah but I'd argue everything 90s+ has better story telling on average as well as character development, it's just that in recent years moe has creamed all over anything sensible.
Sep 21, 2014 7:47 AM

Mar 2014
Honestly, I think it's less about the quality of the animation and more about the art styles.

Most anime I see nowadays has shifted SO dramatically from the kind of art styles I enjoy. SPECIFICALLY when it comes to character design.
It doesn't matter if new animation moves more smoothly or fluidly, because these character designs are just the same fucking bullshit over and over, and it's been this way for a little over a decade now.

Let's talk for a second about the incredible lack of variation in character design today, and the overall moe-ification of every single genre under the sun. In fact, let's look at some examples of how much the designs of even specific characters has shifted.

I'll start off with some less egregious examples...
First up, Cutey Honey:

Next, You're Under Arrest:

Also, just take a look at how they've changed the Tenchi Muyo character design:

Or, even worse, look at the upcoming promotional images for Kiseijuu compared to the original manga:

This stuff is just not acceptable.

Occasionally, yes, we get a series like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Space Dandy... or something like... Ping Pong: The Animation.
However, these are all few and far-between. It would be easy enough to ignore all of the homogenzied cookie cutter stuff, if there was a bit more of the stuff I (and many others) enjoy, too. However, I feel like 90% of the anime that come out nowadays has some moe-influenced artstyle. It's impossible to avoid.
vigorousjammerSep 21, 2014 7:54 AM
::End of Transmission::

Sep 21, 2014 7:57 AM

Apr 2014
vigorousjammer said:
Or, even worse, look at the upcoming promotional images for Kiseijuu compared to the original manga:

This looks perfectly fine by me. It is just harder to put a lot of detail non stop in an anime because IT HAS TO BE ANIMATED. When it contains so much detail like the first picture , it would be impossible to animate without a budget that is bigger then all the money that the US has. And to be honest it doesn't even look bad, when you compare it to different shows it has quite a lot of detail in it, so stop bitching about the current animation/art style because if you don't like it, stop watching it.
Sep 21, 2014 8:00 AM

Sep 2014
i think a lot of ppl stray away from old animes since 1: they like the new animation style better, since it's obviously more fluid and not as stiff ... it's just another step forward in Technologie and humans are used to the new style so ist hard to go back
2: often the Plots in many (not all) old anime is not as well though through as many newer ones...

i honestly have nothing against the old animation style and such if the story makes up for it. however i do prefer the newer animes for the reasons above...

:>
uwaaaa
Sep 21, 2014 8:02 AM

Apr 2014
cookieyayay said:
i think a lot of ppl stray away from old animes since 1: they like the new animation style better, since it's obviously more fluid and not as stiff ... it's just another step forward in Technologie and humans are used to the new style so ist hard to go back
2: often the Plots in many (not all) old anime is not as well though through as many newer ones...

i honestly have nothing against the old animation style and such if the story makes up for it. however i do prefer the newer animes for the reasons above...

:>
Just a question, are you Dutch?
Sep 21, 2014 8:09 AM

Sep 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Qaiz said:

As a fan of old anime I have to say there is more old trash than nowadays. At least in terms of MAL entries. Of course old trash used to have 1 or 2 OVA episodes while today it can be up to 50 episodes (or also a short like Pupa) so another way to put it is that old trash has more variety to it because the series are much shorter :>.
50 episode series are extremely rare nowadays especially when compared to the likes of the 70's and 80's where it seemed there was more of a goal to make long shows than short ones.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 21, 2014 8:11 AM

Mar 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
vigorousjammer said:

This looks perfectly fine by me. It is just harder to put a lot of detail non stop in an anime because IT HAS TO BE ANIMATED. When it contains so much detail like the first picture , it would be impossible to animate without a budget that is bigger then all the money that the US has. And to be honest it doesn't even look bad, when you compare it to different shows it has quite a lot of detail in it, so stop bitching about the current animation/art style because if you don't like it, stop watching it.

Well, I guess I'm fine with most of the character designs that they've shown... but, as far as the main character goes... Maybe this will paint a little bit of a better picture as to why I'm disappointed:

It's not even about a lack of detail, it's about how they changed his character entirely. Also, you can get rid of details and still keep an art style that is consistent with the source material, as evidenced with many of the anime adaptations of manga in the 90's.
The way they changed things just reeks of marketers saying "hey, this is what's hot now, let's change it so it's like that, so more people will buy it"

Also, telling me to "Stop bitching" or "Stop watching it", is pretty insulting.
Am I not allowed to voice my opinion, in the hopes that it may become a small part of a louder overall collective voice... to show that people are still interested in that kind of classic style of anime... the style of anime which is the reason why I initially fell in love with the format in the first place! ...to hopefully get creators to realize that there's still a market for that style of anime!
I will not "stop bitching", as you so eloquently put it, because that will not change anything, and if things continue the way they are, I may not end up liking any more anime that gets released, and THAT SUCKS.
vigorousjammerSep 21, 2014 8:18 AM
::End of Transmission::

Sep 21, 2014 8:16 AM

Apr 2013
Don't be so childish, its just a matter of what kind of anime and everyone must have a different taste
Don't force your ideal to someone else if you don't want to be forced too
Sep 21, 2014 8:22 AM

Nov 2013
There are also multiple people who won't bother watching new anime as well. It's pretty pointless to not watch something that is new or old. Regardless, it's their choice and personal taste of what kind of anime they prefer to watch. It really shouldn't matter to you since what they watch does not affect you in any sort of way.
Sep 21, 2014 8:30 AM

Jul 2014
Yeah. You mean those slice of life/moe loving people who have no respect for anime that revolutionized the industry such as Sailor Moon, DBZ, Fist of the North Star, etc.
Pages (20) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What Anime is boring to you

Kirika_Madeleine - Yesterday

42 by Sheepgrl »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you think Anime has been a net positive for humanity??

LenRea - 9 hours ago

17 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you ever struggled to rate a show?

Jackson1333 - 2 hours ago

12 by Otakupervert890 »»
4 minutes ago

» What does your waifu do under pressure?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

14 by Clarissah »»
17 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

683 by Zero01guard »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.