Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Apr 21, 2023 11:34 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Was greeted by some nice scenery, and a little girl wandering through the plains. But then I hear a "mommy? mommy?".... in english. F*ck. I had unknowingly bought a ticket for the dubbed version. I was legit thinking of leaving the theatre and buying another ticket for the subbed version, but I decided it would be too much of a hassle and ended up staying. And I'm glad I did. This audience was pretty lively. Having a theatre that really laughs at the jokes and audibly responds to major events in a movie can alone enhance the viewing experience imo, and it did in this case for sure.

Anyway, a few thoughts on the actual movie: I did enjoy it. Definitely felt better finishing this than I felt with Weathering with You, but still doesn't top the emotional highs found in Your Name. And maybe it's just my theatre which was very responsive to the jokes, but I think it was actually pretty funny when it meant to be. It's a Makoto Shinkai film so of course we don't even need to mention the visuals. There were several shots where I responded in my head with just "wow". Sound design was orgasmic at times imo. Loved what I heard every time Suzume locked a supernatural door with the supernatural key (which, is different from the keystones I suppose, although they essentially perform the same purpose?). Ok but that "worm" thing though? Looked like a dong. Especially the one in Tokyo, where it rises and then kind of just stays there for a moment, fully stiff like a morning wood. While we're in the slightly lewd talk, yes sir Suzume does indeed sit on the chair-guy. Thought they wouldn't actually do it, but they did. Some guys sitting behind me literally said "ayo?".

As long as you go into this casually to have a good time, it will be a good time and you will most likely enjoy it. There's some technical things I don't quite understand which is not worth getting into, and some character motivations that maybe I don't quite buy. Suzume likes chair guy kind of out of nowhere, but it's okay, it wasn't like the romance in Your Name was well developed either. The thing is, she kind of puts the fate of the world at stake for this one guy. I guess love will prevail, and love conquers all. And, the cats, er, keystones/ex-keystones? What's the deal with them? Can they like, just go back to their place so none of these catastrophes would happen? Or is the point that they want to be free? Because it seems like the willingly returned to their keystone forms at the end there. What led to that being so I'm not sure, I didn't pick up on anything. Maybe they're just there to give the audience a sense of mystery, like who and what are these guys? What is THEIR goal and objective? Why did it turn Souta into a chair? Did it just not want to be the keystone anymore? I thought there was going to be some sort of reveal of their identities, like maybe one of them would be Suzume's mom. But no, they're just, cat-keystone-things. Also that confrontation of Suzume and her aunt made it seem like her aunt was being mind-controlled or something. Whatever it was, it's kind of shrugged off, and the proceed on their road trip. Which, maybe felt kind of random, but I liked it. Chair-guy's friend (sorry I don't remember names) is cool, and his car is certainly a piece of work LOL.

Just like after watching Your Name and Weathering With You, I'm left wanting MORE after watching Suzume. Which is, both a good thing and a bad thing. Wanting more of something shows that it is good, but on the other hand, it's not quite satisfactory, which isn't so good. I will say that out of these 3 movies, this has to be the most satisfactory out of them. And that's probably because Suzume actually feels like it has substance, like it has weight, because there's a real event at the centre of it all. People's lives were at stake in this one, far more than in Your Name. Protecting people was more of a forefront objective of this movie rather than its romance, and that gives the film a bit more meaning behind it.

Also it seems like they were actually trying to get deep, profound, and thoughtful towards the end there. Maybe I'm overthinking it and it really does simply boil down to Suzume telling her young self that everything's gonna be okay, just some words of comfort, nothing more. And even if that's just the case, then it already has gotten more meaningful than anything we've seen yet from Makoto Shinkai.

As for Suzume herself as a character, I think she's the one I like the most out of all Makoto Shinkai's main characters. I haven't seen ALL of his films, but I can quite confidently say for myself at least that Suzume feels like she has the most character out of everyone I've seen. Or maybe she's just really likable. Either way is a win.

Definitely gonna re-watch it later, immediately as it's available on digital, but subbed this time lol, where maybe I'll enjoy it even more. Until then, I'll leave it with an easy 7. Won't necessarily call it a good movie, but I did really enjoy it, and hey that's all that matters really.

7.5/10

Think I'm gonna go re-watch Weathering With You, it's been a minute since then. Maybe I won't dislike it as much this time.
edit: just re-watched weathering with you, and damn, I actually really liked it this time... maybe a little more than suzume actually?? I think the first time I was just expecting too much from a writing standpoint. But just going into it completely vulnerable and ready to let the emotions flow, it's pretty good actually.

BetaMaleUltraApr 22, 2023 1:02 PM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 22, 2023 1:34 AM

Dec 2016
Boring as all hell.
Apr 22, 2023 6:53 AM

Jun 2020
Enjoyed the film a lot but unfortunately the person sitting next to me in the theater smelled horrible. When will weebs learn to take care of their personal hygiene?
shqdyApr 22, 2023 7:48 AM
Apr 22, 2023 7:14 AM

Jul 2021
I saw this movie in the cinema yesterday and well... I'm a bit disappointed. Despite being an absolute eye candy, the movie didn't feel like it has much to offer. I really liked the slice of life bits, but the main storyline was pretty weak... 
Apr 22, 2023 10:36 AM
May 2021
the cat was cuter than the boy :)
Apr 22, 2023 11:30 AM

Mar 2019
Well that was nice. A lot of similar things to the other works although I haven't watched them, but I enjoyed it a lot. There's no point to talk about the animation because it was good, just as expected. The views in some moments made me feel want to be there. The characters were great, Souta was very nice and so was his friend, Suzume wasn't annoying and I do like that the movie was more serious than what I expected. 

There were some things that felt a bit odd but it didn't matter that much in the end. However the whole part with her backstory felt too sudden and at the end it felt like they put a lot of importance on that scene when I wasn't really thinking about it throughout the movie. 

Overall it was very nice and I do feel bad for Daijin, it makes sense why he did that.
Alex_TheForestApr 22, 2023 11:34 AM
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 22, 2023 9:20 PM

May 2014
i am a certified Makoto Shinkai hater, i've watched all his movies and dislike most of them. i think Shinkai is not anywhere near as competent a director as the greats he looks up to and i'm quite sure he knows it, he's just making the sort of stuff that feel fun and important to him. so to turn this backhanding into a compliment i was mildly impressed with Suzume seeing it in a theatre. i think this is the absolute most competent movie Shinkai has managed to put together in his entire career and his trademark arbitrary bombastic emotional moments hit pretty hard in the sound surrounding environment.

it's a fun movie that surprised me by breaking drastically from his cloyingly angsty plots revolving around how a girl suffering and being apart from a boy makes him sad. i love a good angsty story but my man just doesn't have the talent or curiousity to make it work for me. i'm glad he cut out a lot of his brand of anti romance for this movie and focused on Suzume's loosely allegorical journey to deal with her vague trauma. my one major complaint is that Souta is the prettiest boy in any of shinkai's movies and his human form is barely in the movie at all. sure the chair stuff is amusing but if Shinkai wanted to do his own take on the great body horror of Howl's Moving Castle he did not do it justice.

all movie directors are perverts and Shinkai has almost always been a boring pervert, but this time he's shown that he's got the willingness to branch out and play to the few strengths he does have to make something that i did not entirely hate sitting in a chair for 2 hours to experience
Apr 23, 2023 12:58 AM
Oct 2022
its obviously a masterpiece coming from Makoto senkai
Apr 23, 2023 6:26 AM
May 2021
First time watched makoto shinkai movie in theatres and wow nice experience. Visuals and soundtracks were stunning 🔥
Apr 23, 2023 7:31 AM
Aug 2019
The best movie <3<3<3
Apr 23, 2023 8:23 AM
May 2021
Another Masterpiece, the visuals, detailings best. korewa saikiyo daze!
Apr 23, 2023 10:54 AM

Jan 2016
Great fucking movie! I was a bit afraid because of the "oh the same old formula again" comments but I'm glad they were wrong. That's like saying "all of the shounen series are the same as it's a about a weak boy who never gives up and turns out to be special in some way" or "romcoms are all about social outcasts falling in love". It's a formula yes but the important thing is how it's executed and Shinkai does that wonderfully. 

Fresh of the cinema my mind is telling me that this might just be his strongest movie yet but it might just change after a while because right now I'm still hyped. Anyways the strongest thing about the movie is Suzume herself. Shinkai finally decides to focus on 1 character as opposed to 2 and it paid off superbly as Suzume, in my opinion, is his strongest main character so far. She's amazing and I love the whole journey that she and Souta went on. Obviously, Souta didn't get fleshed out as much as maybe Taki and Hodaka but it was enough for this movie and I frankly like him more than Hodoka. 

The plot itself was really interesting as it didn't throw "this is what natural disasters do to people" in our faces as much as it tried to clue us in instead by the visuals and the voices that were heard every time the doors were closed. The side characters are all loveable, except maybe for the guy who's after Suzumes aunt. Shinkai really improved his side characters after Your Name and I'm glad that he's continued on this positive trend. 

All in all, 8.8 is probably where I'd put this right now. Can't wait to rewatch it as I really liked Suzume. She's a great character and the whole journey was just so fun and we saw so many different sides of her as opposed to just being a shy girl who just blushes, which she is not. The only thing I wish we got more of is probably her hometown and classmates, who all were just there for the beginning, unfortunately. 

Also, something people have to have in mind is that a lot of things in the movie will hit the Japanese audience more, namely the natural disaster themes because a lot of people are still feeling the effect of disasters such as the 2011 earthquake. Each abandoned location is really cleverly thought out and how those specific areas affected Japan and its population socially and how they should move on from those events. 
FireFistYKApr 23, 2023 11:02 AM
Apr 23, 2023 3:33 PM
Aug 2018
This was... so lame.

Visuals, soundtrack and voice acting are top notch perfection.

But what the f is this story even supposed to be? 

The whole conflict is built upon Daijin being an a*s  then te little sh*t has the audacity to get offended and act all sad. The other cat is even worse, he just literally spawned next to the main group.
Also what was up with the aunt saying the most horrid things imaginable to Suzume then we act like nothing happened?
And what is the conclusion? That a 16yo girl falling in love with a 24yo dude because he looks pretty is the true love?

The characters are literally cardboard cutouts and story feels like it was written by a 14yo child who was raised on disney. 
Apr 23, 2023 5:07 PM
Jan 2021
Solid 8/10. Glad I saw this in theaters.
Apr 24, 2023 3:20 AM

Jun 2020
I just wna say, Souta is so hot omg. Serizawa too. Bye……

Okok I also liked the memories that all the abandoned and lost places hold. Those moments were emotional.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Apr 24, 2023 1:30 PM

May 2014
good animation
very dramatic
chair prince and dramatic traumatized mc
Apr 24, 2023 6:24 PM
Mar 2016
Great movie. Really sad. I imagine the reference to the tsunami is especially powerful for Japanese folks. I really liked the protag. The scene at the end where her young self was looking for her dead mom had me tearing up. "She's a great nurse, she's good at woodworking, she can do anything! I know she's worried about me, and since our house is gone, she just doesn't know where to find me!" Like damn.

I definitely echo others in regards to the relationship feeling very rushed. Some of it can be explained by the age difference and how he's a pretty boy, but still. It doesn't feel quite natural.

Easy 9/10. I would have made some different song choices here and there, but I would highly recommend it.
Apr 25, 2023 6:33 AM
Mar 2022
It was my first anime movie in theatre in 4DX. What a blast it was!! 2 hrs passed by in seconds. The visuals were eyegasmic as expected from Shinkai's masterclass and those door closing scenes were just treat to eyes. Watching movie in 4DX was next level experience, the water sprinklers in theatre, smoke, lightening effect and movements of chair just elevated the experience.
Now on movie,imo the movie has 2nd best story in all Shinkai's movie after your name but everything else from visuals, osts, voice acting, emotions were on par with others, not to mention the comedic scenes surprised me they were super smooth and well written that I had good laugh multiple times. Just a little complain,why didn't they used main theme more T T,it was so good anyways loved the movie and the last scene with suzume meeting with her younger self was damn touching.
Overall one of the greatest experience for lifetime as a weeb,thank you to everyone behind the movie to make it such a banger watch. Hoping to see another banger from Shinkai sir in next three year.
soma_ITBApr 25, 2023 8:20 AM
Apr 25, 2023 5:58 PM

Feb 2021
Saw the movie today at my local theater, it was surprisingly full for a tuesday session. 

I really enjoyed it, by far my most favorie aspect was the trip across Japan, and all the characters she meets in each location. 

This is my second Shinkai movie ever, so I definitely need to see more.
Apr 26, 2023 12:52 AM
May 2021
Great film. First time seeing a Shinkai Makoto film in theatres. Getting the obvious out of the way, animation, music, and sound design were as usual stellar in this film. It’s to be expected from the studio. Always love how Shinkai Makoto explores many regions and places across Japan on top of the common areas like Tokyo. This wasn’t his best film but maybe #2 or #3.

As for the story it was good. It felt slightly rushed toward the final quarter of the film with the scenes moving a lot quicker compared to the first 3/4 of the film. They could’ve given more time to flesh some scenes out but the runtime was already long enough so I see why. Didn’t ruin the film or anything but it could’ve elevated it to a higher status. This film really tackles the effects of natural disasters on the people of Japan. All of the abandoned doors the MCs come across tell a story through the memories of each location. I honestly loved that. Deserted areas always have a history behind them. The morning, kids going to school, people heading to work, friends and family having dinner. Honestly teared up when the film displayed this. Because sometimes you just won’t know how much a place and its people mean to you.

Characters were honestly great. I don’t know if there was truly romance in this though. It was kind of discreet and unclear but at times when it did feel like maybe there’s romance I just kept saying to myself it’s so unnecessary for this story. And honestly weird with the significant age gap between Suzume and Souta. I absolutely loved Suzume’s journey across Japan and meeting various people along the way. Every scene felt heartwarming.

Overall great film. I’m glad I went late night to see it in theatres despite how burnt out I was. The movie was going to leave my theatres in 2 days as of writing this. I didn’t want to miss out on watching a Shinkai Makoto film on the big screen. Glad I did.
LeoDragoApr 26, 2023 1:02 AM
Apr 26, 2023 5:34 AM

Apr 2021
I just saw the movie!! The ending credits along with the theme song are playing right now and here I am ready to post an fp about how great this movie was!!

The story was great!!! And of course the animation was peak!!! Loved every bit of the movie!!! Especially that 'Kimi no na wa' like ending!!!

9/10 movie for me!!!!
Apr 27, 2023 3:33 PM
Jul 2021
Just a Masterpiece of work. Everything was so good: Music, Visual and even story-telling was perfectly designed and well executed. Its one of those film you must watch in cinemas.
Apr 29, 2023 10:09 AM
Jul 2022
seen it in the movies, honestly one of the best
Apr 29, 2023 5:44 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Didnt know this movie existed until a few days ago when I was planning to see a bunch of movies on the cinema, then realized this was airing on my country and was shocked, positively so, until then I really did not know that the next Shinkai's movie was already releasing.

Came to the movie almost blind, without high expectations, which was good because for the most part, while brilliantly directed, it was just a fun movie, following the all to familiar formula by now for his movies (shame cuz I also like some of his more bitter earlier works).
There was just something missing to break the gap where I really get sucked and completely invested in the movie, but I was definitely having fun, the visuals were great and loving that OST and cinema experience.

Then the later parts of the movie came, and I got way more invested because it almost felt like the movie was gonna end at a part, and then it just keeps going and going, I would compare it to getting an extremely LONG epilogue that thankfully delivers that extra needed development to the characters and plot, some will still say it was following the old formula from his other movies, but to me it was when I could finally really connect with the characters and be eager to see what was going to happen next.

I value that greatly and feel the ending was fitting and conclusive enough, more so that I was not really feeling the romance too much, so I m glad it was not in the viewers face all the time, this movie did not need it!
Everything together had me bumping the score a bit, it is not Shinkai's best work, but it was a very worthy experience on the cinema and left me more satisfied than I expected.

8.6/10 = 9
Apr 29, 2023 10:11 PM
Jan 2021
I love Shinkai's movies. Suzeme had the same fantastic quality of animation, but I found the story a bit hard to appreciate, compared to his other movies.
Apr 30, 2023 7:37 PM
Jan 2022
SERIZAWA SUPREMACY
May 1, 2023 1:03 AM
Feb 2019
I went to cinema expecting a lot but it completely blew away my expectations, I did not like it, I loved it! One of the best anime movies of the last ten years, in my opinion only koe no katachi, eva 3+1 and violet evergarden the movie can stand the confrontation.
And I am saying it as a shinkai enjoyer
Alessio_BollichMay 1, 2023 1:07 AM
May 1, 2023 3:34 PM
Nov 2020
Was one of the songs, while they where in the car, "Yume no naka e" from Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou OST? :D I heard right, right?
May 1, 2023 4:47 PM
Daydreamer

Mar 2020
Finally with the release in my country, I have been able to fully experience for the first time a Makoto Shinkai movie in theathre, even in o.v. which is not granted here.
I haven't seen all of his major works, but many of them. In my personal ranking Kimi no Na wa keeps the top spot, but this can easily get the second.

Overall production, direction, aesthetic is still on the top, even if animation felt a bit inferior compared to Kimi no na wa, especially in contrast with the environment/lighting which is god tier. The VA did a great job, so did the sound effects and music.

Storywise, I expected a bit more romance development, considering Souta spent most of the time in the chair form, and she fell in love during that time. But this isnt't a fully romance oriented story and includes themes like overcoming personal traumas, parent-child relationship, love towards life and awareness about what makes it worth to live. There is depth and chatarsis, which gives the story a more emotional impact, along with humourous and funny times.

As usual, a linear and simple narrative improved by a deep storytelling and eye-candy visuals, plus a great entertainment value. I am really satistied, for what is worth, I consider this an 8.5/10.
Thrasher96May 1, 2023 4:51 PM
May 4, 2023 2:42 AM
May 2021
Suzume no tojimari is a real step down from "Weathering with you" which was a step down from "Your Name". Too many plots and not enough time is given to resolve any of them while also boring the hell out of the audience. Characters and settings were good but they were not combined in the best way to create a movie that would entertain the audience.
May 5, 2023 7:40 AM

Jan 2013
Just saw this movie in theaters and I loved it, made me emotional too as it really connected with me.
Visuals were so damn good as is to be expected from a Shinkai Makoto movie by now, camera work, audio / soundtracks, and all the small scenes like the key locking / unlocking scenes added so much.
So many funny moments too like the kids playing with the chair or all the scenes of people being confused by a chair chasing a cat .

In a lot of ways this movie reminded me a lot of "Everything, Everywhere, All at once"
Appreciating what you've got.

Not forgetting the positive feelings despite the negative feelings, shown by all these locations being abandoned despite having been places where a lot of people had great memories. - Most notably the location where Suzume's mother died because of the tsunami.
A great scene was one where Suzume ran up a hill trying to find the worm and then Serizawa mentioning that the abandoned place looked beautiful and Suzume never having looked at it like that.

It's about about having hope, being optimistic and overcoming trauma, Suzume closing doors and also being able to open new doors is a clear representation of that.
Despite the trauma of losing her mother she would eventually find other things to look forward to, people to cherish and love. - Beautifully shown by her adventure through Japan and the lovely people she managed to meet and learn about.

Even if it seems there's no hope right now, remember better times will come.
PrOxAntoMay 5, 2023 1:45 PM
May 5, 2023 10:12 AM

Nov 2017
I just saw the movie at the cinema and it's a excellent movie! The animation is top notch as are the OSTs! Without forgetting the seiyū and the emotion that goes with it! What a treat!
ElyshionApr 21, 12:37 PM
May 5, 2023 4:29 PM

May 2021
After having watched this in theatres, I am not sure if I will be able to rewatch it unless they re-run it or somethin'. The production was that good.

May 5, 2023 7:24 PM
Jan 2019
I sobbed so hard....I think I left a part of my soul in that movie theater. The animation was GORGEOUS and the music was an insane masterpiece. I am forever changed by this story and this goddamn chair.
May 6, 2023 9:58 AM

Apr 2023
Beautiful animation and great music as always, but there's a lot of things that went unexplained and the ending did not show what happened to the other characters. What's up with Daijin wanting to be Suzume's cat? What's the relation between Souta's grandpa and Sadaijin? Is Suzume still in contact with Chika and the woman that brought her to Kobe? What happened to Serizawa, is he asking Souta for that 20k yen back? I thought that one guy was going to follow Suzume's aunt to Tokyo, but they didn't show any of that afterwards. How has this journey impacted Suzume's outlook in life? There's so many things that's not wrapped up properly, which is disappointing to me.

May 6, 2023 12:40 PM
Jul 2018
I think I set my expectations too high. Nonetheless, some of the scenes were amusing.
May 7, 2023 9:51 AM

Sep 2020
Very good movie, got to watch it two times in the cinema. Watching it a second time really helped connecting the plot points and it definitely made the movie that much better. Unfortunately the German subs were very bad, I had moments where I had to roll my eyes (even with my very, very limited japanese). It felt like they put the english subs through a machine translator, there even was a line that wasn't even translated (Near the beginning "Excuse me" was in english).
May 8, 2023 11:56 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Got a chance to see this in the cinema and it was an absolute visual spectacle. Gorgeous animation and the usual sweet Shinkai visuals. The rest was just ok. Most characters were the stock Shinkai formula except the Serizawa dude. He was a breath of fresh air .
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 13, 2023 3:41 AM

Mar 2016
thepandaboi said:

You should put this up as a review as it echoed my thoughts to the tee. It’s hard to write one without spoilers but the others look like unsubstantiated hate.

I guess I’m used to expecting a good romance and character development in his movies. The plot was fine but it left me asking for more. Especially in the first half the constant panicc moments left me a bit overwhelmed.

Overall a solid 8.5/10 in terms of how much I enjoyed it but people should temper their expectations before going to the cinemas. This was the first Shinkai movie I saw on the big screen and it definitely elevates the enjoyment factor especially with all the action and smooth animation in this one.

Haha, I appreciate the compliment! Yeah just like you Suzume is the first Makoto Shinkai movie I've watched In the Cinema, and as you said, I agree, people should temper their expectations before watching this, who knows if someday Makoto Shinkai will make a movie that goes against his usual supernatural romance movie? That being said, expectations will always be in the minds of eager audiences, especially due to Kimi no na Wa's masterpiece storytelling and character chemistry. What's left beyond expectations is whether a person could enjoy what they watch because they should.
May 13, 2023 4:16 AM
Aug 2019
it was a wholesome movie, i really loved the music
May 14, 2023 9:12 AM

Apr 2023
I absolutely loved this movie. I watched it in the cinema - and wow, the animation & colors are absolutely stunning.

But what I really love are the little subtle details in the movie, that often carry hidden messages - and making the story all the more meaningful. There are so many of them that I actually decided to make a whole vid on it lol XD

banner-sig-copy

Anime analysis & fun chats :) Visit my Youtube @yume.kairi

May 15, 2023 3:30 PM
Jan 2019
Very nice *thumbs up*
May 16, 2023 7:30 AM

May 2023
Disappointing film really. Just the same Makoto-esque narrative, he’s clearly mastering the formula. It’s basically the same thing as Your Name/Weathering with You but more emphasis on supernatural elements. Also the main dude is a chair.
May 18, 2023 12:43 PM

Feb 2020
Ok very engaging, but not as good as previous 2 movies. 
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

May 20, 2023 10:24 AM
Jan 2021
Absolute masterpiece , great in every single aspect.
May 24, 2023 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
15 minutes in and ... I ended up with lots of questions. Long story short, dropped it. 
May 26, 2023 10:06 PM
Jan 2022
more than worth the time i put into it waiting
May 27, 2023 12:50 AM
Jul 2022
Great movie. Almost on par with your name.
May 31, 2023 2:07 PM

Jun 2022
"Where I throw random thoughts and say its a review its not"

Overall rating 5/10

This is the first Shinkai work I've seen and I was reeled in by the song that went viral.
Watched it at my local cinema with my girlfriends...missed the 1st 15-ish minutes which might have affected my understanding and enjoyment of the movie and I ended up missing the song which defeated the whole purpose of my initial desire to watch it.

• Soundtrack and bgm were pretty impactful
  • The animation, visuals, and action scenes were amazing
  • Plotwise it was bland.
  • idk how long Suzume and Souta interacted when he was human but the romance was a bit too insta-love and/or girl fell in love with a talking chair (I know, I know. Love the person based on their personality not on looks...but it didn't seem like they had much meaningful moments even when Souta was Chair!Souta)
  • I love Serizawa and wish there was more of him
  • Daijin's voice actor and character were super cute and occasionally creepy which I loved
  • Still very confused about the worms and the endstone business.
  • Souta's visual character design gave me Howl vibes...
  • The sound effects of Chair!Souta's running were really cute and funny

There are some meaningful themes in the movie, such as Suzume accepting her mother's death and such but nothing that I felt was super impactful to the point where I left the cinema going 'wow that was deep'
This movie genre isn't usually my preference hence my never having watched Shinkai's previous works and tbh I don't plan on watching any of his old ones.
My friends loved it tho! which is nice cause it was their first time watching an anime movie and one in cinema too
ZeytemisMay 31, 2023 2:49 PM
My Candies:

Jun 1, 2023 8:56 AM
Aug 2011
its ok, just not the best
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Feet and shoes in the film

trvekvlt666 - May 19

20 by Casualfanofanime »»
Yesterday, 2:38 PM

» Remake of weathering with you? ( 1 2 )

Hickykissy - May 1

51 by Zoopiez »»
May 19, 8:06 PM

» Makoto Shinka cannot write plausible human relationships

MyllerPhiem - Apr 8

42 by BroodEagle »»
May 11, 3:37 PM

Poll: » Next natural disaster?

mechian - Apr 15, 2023

6 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:55 PM

» Serizawa's car and his playlist

kintups - Mar 10, 2023

16 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.