Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 11, 2022 4:17 AM

Feb 2019
Wow, first on a Shinkai movie? This is an achievement for me :')

Caught it in theatres in Japan on the first day ^^

Top notch visuals as expected, and an amazing soundtrack. The soundtrack felt familiar and different at the same time. RADWIMPS' trademark style was welcome, but there was also an otherworldly, mysterious, grand feel to the music this time around, exemplified partially by the trailer song.

Since I watched it in Japan with no Japanese or English subtitles, I didn't fully understand the plot. I wish my Japanese was enough to do that. Though I think I got as much as 70%. Still processing it, so I'm not sure about it yet. I'll hold off on a score for now.

Enjoyable, great movie as always. I like Suzume. But maybe it wasn't as good as Shinkai's previous four movies (Tenki no Ko, Kimi no Na wa., Kotonoha no Niwa, 5 Centimeters Per Second). The pacing was quite fast in my opinion.

Still loved it though~

Will revisit this post when I get my thoughts together and/or when I watch it with English subs ^^

==============================================================

After rewatching it, I've finally come to a decision regarding the score. I've rewatched it with subs, and I've decided 9/10 is a great score for this.

The animation is beautiful and superb as always. The shots of the countryside and of Tokyo are striking as expected. The music is also amazing, and I like the voice acting work.

The story I believe is the weakest point of the movie. It's not bad, it's just like I said before not as good as Shinkai's previous works. But after rewatching it with subs I caught again some nuances I missed. There's some depth here to be analysed about Suzume's losing her mother at a young age and how that affects her, as well as her relationship with her aunt and how her aunt's life changed by taking her in. I need to think it through so I can't write it right now, maybe I'll go back to write my thoughts again but I'm not sure about that.

I also didn't really remember them speaking in various dialects (which I absolutely love as someone who loves dialects!), maybe because I was too focused on trying to understand without subs the first time going in.

I need to talk about the music once again because it might just be the strongest point of this movie. The music is absolutely superb and really lifts the entire thing up. It really gets you into the mood and it has this mysterious, supernatural vibe. Amazing work. Will definitely give the OST a listen.

As I said, 9/10. Not his best work, but a great work nonetheless. Looking forward to Shinkai's next work!
ShikkakkuJan 17, 5:52 AM
Nov 11, 2022 5:11 AM
Jan 2017
Shikkakku said:
I like Suzume. But maybe it wasn't as good as Shinkai's previous four movies (Tenki no Ko, Kimi no Na wa., Kotonoha no Niwa, 5 Centimeters Per Second).

I think this movie is objectively more flushed out than his previous work, but, to each their own, I guess.
Nov 11, 2022 5:25 AM
Jul 2022
loved it!!!!!!!!!
Nov 11, 2022 5:27 AM
Nov 2022
I've watched Suzume on the first day in IMAX Hibiya. I would like to share a few points to manage your expectations (spoiler free):

1) Visuals and overall production quality are impressive. It is hard to beat previous works, but they did it somehow.

2) There is a lot of action, jumping, chasing, fast scenes overall. Probably the most action of all Shinkai movies. Main characters are definitely fit to run around like this!

3) In my opinion, Suzume is much darker compared to previous works. Topics of "natural disaster", "loss", "death" are prominent.

4) Characters are mature. Jokes & giggles are less frequent. Suzume does not act like a schoolgirl, but more like a very determined young adult.

5) "Cat" is cute and holds a few surprises for you.

---

In general, I am happy to see Shinkai trying different things and being able to experiment, while having high budget and world-class animation team. I hope it will stay that way.

I suspect, this work will receive higher scores in Japan and Asia compared to US / UK / EU, but this is fine.

I enjoyed the whole experience overall. Especially seeing some places in anime which are located ~100m from theatre.
LittleK0iNov 11, 2022 5:32 AM
Nov 11, 2022 6:14 AM

Jan 2021
As awesome as ever.
Utterly transcended my expectation.
Can't really wait for the actual sequel.
On the run.
Nov 11, 2022 6:35 AM
Feb 2021
Well I don't really know but for me it's one of the best movie. Everything almost blends in well. I'm a little bit confused on whether to give it a 9 or 10 since there is more place to improve but at the same time it's a perfection. Lots of hair raiser and tearjerking scene too. Animation should we even talk about it?
Nov 11, 2022 7:09 AM

Jan 2013
this movie has genuinely changed my life
Nov 11, 2022 8:28 AM
Jan 2022
waiting for the international launch as always..
Nov 11, 2022 9:21 AM
Jun 2022
Anyone know when its release internationally? ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”
Nov 11, 2022 12:06 PM

Sep 2020
Safely it'll be releasing everywhere else sometime in 2023 so I have to wait. I plan to watch it in theatres so I won't go for cam version online.
Nov 11, 2022 12:57 PM
Mar 2018
any idea when it will be released in India?
Nov 11, 2022 5:23 PM
Feb 2012
watched it yesterday in Japan.

1. Visual, camera work is as always, top notch

2. Theme is very good, original. It's about earthquake, mainly the upcoming mega quake that is about to hit Japan. The area that will likely to be hit was the city that our protagonist visited in the movie, From Kyushuu, Ehime, Kobe, Tokyo. I like the jouryney a lot since it shows the local feeling, places, food, etc.
The final place she visited was Sendai, it was destroyed during the big earthquake a decade ago, hence the door. I really like the way they focus on door locking.
Even though places were destroyed, there were people living their normal lives there, and the journey they showed us were the normal lives that would be lost in the upcoming megaquake.

3. Song is OK, I never really like Radwimps song, but the main song Suzume is very good.

4. The con, it would be the character development or relationship between the 2 protagonist. It felt too rushed and unnatural compared to Shinkai previous movies. I couldn't understand the reason why she bothered to look for him in the 1st place, why she likes him? I feel that if Shinkai invest another 30min to their relationship it would be better, but time constraint perhaps.
Nov 11, 2022 6:36 PM
Feb 2020
anirudh28 said:

Next year maybe March or April. I'm also waiting for Indian release๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿฅฒ
Nov 11, 2022 7:10 PM

Jul 2022
UNRIVALLEDKING said:
anirudh28 said:

Next year maybe March or April. I'm also waiting for Indian release๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿฅฒ๐Ÿฅฒ

If it follows the Dragon Ball route, then it will be out here by December/January.
Nov 11, 2022 9:04 PM

Sep 2012
Whipdash said:
Shikkakku said:
I like Suzume. But maybe it wasn't as good as Shinkai's previous four movies (Tenki no Ko, Kimi no Na wa., Kotonoha no Niwa, 5 Centimeters Per Second).

I think this movie is objectively more flushed out than his previous work, but, to each their own, I guess.

Just depends on preference. If you prefer romance and the relationship between two characters then I feel like the previous movies are better. You're not necessarily gonna get that in this movie as it focuses more on side characters and less about the romance between the female and MC. The main guy in this is old and the love is more like a one sided thing. So the relationship between two MCs would feel more flushed out in his other movie.
FlamingMangosNov 11, 2022 9:11 PM
Nov 11, 2022 10:25 PM
Jan 2018
anirudh28 said:

Expecting around April 2023, Assuming PVR has already began with the talks for the Indian Screenings.
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Nov 11, 2022 10:34 PM

Sep 2012
God I love living in Japan and being fluent in Japanese, 10/10.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/DerWuestenfuchs
ใ€ŒJust another weeb living the dream in Japanใ€
Nov 12, 2022 1:10 AM

Apr 2020
I don't think it's Makoto Shinkai's best work, but his movies never dissapoint. Awesome animation quality and camera work as usual. Very Interesting story as well. Although I really like the characters, romance development felt a bit rushed.

loved it. Thank you for all the staffs involved for creating the wonderful movie!
Nov 12, 2022 2:03 AM
May 2020
Anyone know when it will release in United States?
Nov 12, 2022 7:39 PM
Feb 2021
Ryyan-kun said:
As awesome as ever.
Utterly transcended my expectation.
Can't really wait for the actual sequel.

Haven't watched it yet but it sets up sequel??? That's actually so good can't wait to see a series rather than individual films from Makoto Shinkai
Nov 12, 2022 8:23 PM
Jan 2018
I just watched it yesterday at the theater near my house. Not so good. 6/10.
Nov 14, 2022 7:10 AM

Mar 2018
Thread Cleaned. As mentioned above:
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
The movie is currently available in Japan for theatre. So you have to wait until it airs in your country or when the DVD/BD releases.

On-topic:
Just watched it in the theatre and was stunned by the quality as expected by the team! So many beautiful backgrounds and just so colorful!
While I give it a 10/10, I wouldn't categorize it as the best movie but definitely not thinking less of it, I applaud for the story-build, the songs and the way they handled it.
Only con would be the relationship between the two as it didn't feel natural.
Also props for putting up a warning about the earthquake alerts.

โ˜†  PlayStation: KoitoTV
โ˜†  Discord: Koito
โ˜†  Twitch Koito
โ˜†  @Koito91
Nov 14, 2022 12:55 PM
Nov 2015
Question for those who already watched the movie. The soundtrack has 4 songs, are those 4 songs in the movie as insert songs and in the credits?
Nov 14, 2022 9:20 PM

Nov 2021
Wow, My previous comment got deleted for no reason at all!!

Anyway, It was a good movie. That's all I have to say for now. More details later.

Nov 15, 2022 12:35 AM

May 2014
I loved the movie! As good as Your Name, if not better imo.
Nov 15, 2022 8:00 AM
Oct 2022
Good animation, good effect
Nov 20, 2022 2:19 AM

Oct 2007
Better than Kimi no Na wa and Tenki no Ko. I definitely expected the plot to be worse, as Shinkai's movies tend to focus more on feelings and characters than plot
Animation was top notch as usual, it was oddly pleasing to to see so many places I go to every month or even daily animated so well

Definitely a good watch, will rewatch eventually when it comes out as bluray
Nov 20, 2022 2:56 AM

Jul 2010
saw it in fukuoka a few hours ago, found it to be pretty good and easy to follow. The alternate reality thing was interesting. I did feel like she fell so hard for the guy fast. I also think it's weird that her aunt never cut off her funds lol though it led her to follow her on her journey so I guess it makes sense why she didn't. So I guess that is that. He also seemed way too old for her.

8/10

all in all your typical shinkai movie: young love separated by becoming furniture

the visuals tho my god. it just gets better and better with each movie he puts out. never seen a anime movie in imax before. it was amazing on that huge screen
ariamachiNov 20, 2022 3:01 AM
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Nov 21, 2022 9:36 PM
Jan 2017
Good movie but Your name And Weathering with you is still better i think
Nov 21, 2022 11:38 PM
Nov 2012
I just watched it but am bit confused with the plot

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind why Daijin (the white cat) turned Satou into a chair?

Then he said it was too late to turn him back into a human, but ended up helping Suzume at the end and managed to reverse it ?_?
Dec 9, 2022 2:37 AM

Jul 2021
This is best Shinkai Makoto movies for me. Just a top-notch stunning visual with splendiferous adventure fast pacing. No slow romance develop bullshit.
๐˜€๐˜๐—ถ๐—น๐—น ๐—น๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฎ ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐˜‚๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น๐˜† "๐—ด๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ฑ" ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ถ๐—บ๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐˜†๐˜€, ๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—น๐˜† ๐˜€๐—ฎ๐—ฑ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ถ๐˜ ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐—ป'๐˜ ๐—ฒ๐˜…๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜
Dec 30, 2022 8:54 PM
Sep 2017
Is it as bad as Weathering With You?
Jan 1, 2023 9:21 AM
Jun 2022
JoeRequiem said:

Weathering with You was good. it's all opinions but in my opinion that movie was amazing.
Jan 1, 2023 1:08 PM
Sep 2017
Maximalewelle said:
JoeRequiem said:

Weathering with You was good. it's all opinions but in my opinion that movie was amazing.

So is that a yes or a no?
Jan 8, 2023 4:47 AM
Nov 2014
I think it's better than Koto no Ha no Niwa and Tenki no Ko, and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more than Kimi no Na wa.
Jan 9, 2023 6:44 AM

Oct 2016
JoeRequiem said:
Maximalewelle said:

So is that a yes or a no?

It's not a good movie... it's a GREAT MOVIE.
Jan 14, 2023 7:31 AM

Jul 2020
Finally watched this today and I absolutely loved it. Shinkai never misses with his movies, and this time was no different. The whole movie was just so fun seeing them travel from one end of Japan to the other while stopping the supernatural and growing closer with one another. Suzume was a great protagonist and I enjoyed seeing her grow and connect with Souta and the others. The twist at the end with Suzume meeting her younger self and creating her own past felt cleverly connected and very Shinkai. Despite less of a presence this time, RADWIMPS soundtrack was also still beautiful once again. Easy 9/10.
Feb 23, 2023 1:51 AM
Jul 2021
aku pikir ini sangat luar biasa
Feb 24, 2023 1:36 PM
Jan 2019
Just watched the first international screening with english sub in Berlin if anyone has any questions.
Feb 27, 2023 2:58 PM
Feb 2021
WopaGangnamStyle said:
I just watched it but am bit confused with the plot

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind why Daijin (the white cat) turned Satou into a chair?

Then he said it was too late to turn him back into a human, but ended up helping Suzume at the end and managed to reverse it ?_?

Yeah, I got the same questioning: what are the motivations of Daijin? He has been freed out by Suzume to finally return as a pillar at the end of the movie…
Mar 8, 2023 1:01 AM

Mar 2020
Just finished watching at a theatre here in my country. Amazing I really enjoyed it!!! Worth paying the ticket.
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Mar 8, 2023 2:45 AM
Feb 2016
Suzume just aired today in my country. I enjoyed it more than previous movie (Tenki no Ko). I wonder what Shinkai's next project 3 years from now.
Mar 8, 2023 2:51 AM
Mar 2020
Still can't surpass Kimi no na Wa but slightly better than Tenki no Ko. (For me Tenki no Ko is a solid 8.7 but the story is hard to digest and a lot of stupid things happened there)

This one has more acceptable story and is actually based on real event (Tohoku earthquake and Fukushima disaster). I think this movie is probably a sad one for the Japanese since this movie is almost looks like a 12 years anniversary of that disaster (Though, this movie played on Japanese theatre November last year) but I did watched it today and today is March 8th, a little bit eerie for me despite I'm not a Japanese.

But I like the atmosphere, settings and ambience on this movie the most, if compared with the other 2 movies. This one has an oddly beautiful post-apocalyptic settings and scenes and beautiful starry skies etc. Like damn, even Kimi no na Wa doesn't have that.

Though had to admit, character development and the climax are the ones that hold this movie back, the twist is still good but kinda weak if compared to Tenki no Ko, Kimi no na Wa still has the best climax and twist.

An awesome and kinda heartbreaking roadtrip movie, 9/10. 
Mar 8, 2023 4:39 AM
Jun 2022
Really masterpiece
Mar 8, 2023 5:05 AM
Oct 2020
just watched it, I love the movie. It's so fun to watch it.
Mar 8, 2023 5:16 AM
Dec 2013
You need to turn your brain off watching this move, I had too much expectations with this, I’ve watched all makoto shinkai movies and this one is not for me. IMO 5cm/s and your name is still his masterpiece.
sadnusiMar 8, 2023 5:50 AM
Mar 8, 2023 6:06 AM
Jan 2019
Suprisingly, I didn't really like this movie much. Maybe I am just expecting too much? I am not quite satisfied. I feel like something is missing. As much as I like RADWIMPS, this didn't quite hit me. 7,5 for me. Maybe It's just my friend aside me talking too fucking much which makes this movie less enjoyable.

The Ending is kinda anticlimatic. I wish that the climax will carry the movie but oh well.
Mar 8, 2023 7:16 AM
Feb 2021
I think it's Masterpiece
Mar 8, 2023 8:24 AM
Dec 2022
Surprisingly enjoyable! better than Tenki no Ko, but still can't surpass Kimi no na Wa. The story is more acceptable and interesting. If you prefer romance and the relationship between two main characters, I think the previous movies are better (Tenki no Ko and Kimi no na Wa). 
Mar 8, 2023 8:25 AM

Mar 2016
I've just watched this in the cinema, it was phenomenal. I mean damn, I remembered watching Kimi no Na Wa on a laptop many years ago, Suzume is the first Makoto Shinkai movie that I watched at the cinema and my God... It's absolutely fantastic. 

The first thing first that always catches your eye in a Makoto Shinkai movie is his art style which is complimented by jaw-dropping visuals. From the character movements to the scenery in which many actions took place. This movie in particular really took that to its advantage, with a vibrant variety of backdrop from the village, to the coastlines, the sea, the mountains, and the city. Damn. Though let me stop myself. There's nothing more boldly apparent when watching this in the cinema other than the sound. Ahh yes, the sound effects with that heavy bass when the worms appear were thrilling, and ofc let's not forget all the OST, What can I say... Loved it. Especially the Suzume no Tomari song that played near the end of the movie, magical.

Alright, the number 1 thing that I appreciate about this movie is the amount of adventure it has. Seeing Suzume travel with Souta was fun, the people she met along the way, the scenery and landscapes she saw, and the events that lead her closer and closer to rediscovering her past. That was all a blast to watch. A trip throughout Japan in search of an annoying cat, and then a road trip back while jamming to a variety of pop songs. Man, I'd love to actually do all that. Without having to fight the worms ofc. Having Suzume briefly stop somewhere before continuing her journey made the paths she left behind feel real. Though that's the problem isn't it... It's brief. 
Although the movie is 2 hours long, it doesn't feel like it. That's good, but also bad. I felt as though due to the fact that things happen so quickly, there's not enough time for the audience to hold a stronger sentimental attachment. The side characters that appeared were charming, but only so much. As a comparison, let's take Suzume's classmates, they were there, and they weren't there. I wished there was more continuity. Even the relationship between Souta and Suzume was not polished or as well constructed, as I will mention later on. The whole supernatural aspect of the movie was cool but I feel that they do not really connect much to Suzume aside from the world beyond the doors. The worms itself is of no significant personal reason (aside maybe for the implication that it caused her mother's) Suzume really only stops the worms simply because people dying = bad. So in that sense, well that's that.

There was a lot less direct romance that we saw in this movie between Suzume and Souta. Although we do have a fair amount of touching moments such as when Suzume cried out for Souta to save him, as I said. The romance is not directly apparent. Mainly because of their age difference. One is 16 and the other is at least 21. POSITIVELY... The fact that there's less romance involved means that Suzume's character has the opportunity to shine.

Suzume's character progression in this story is a girl who eventually made peace with her tragic past. Losing both her home and mother to the Tohoku earthquake was traumatic to the point that her memories are locked behind the back of her mind. The events of this movie forced her to directly face her past, LITERALLY. That plot twist where it turned out that Suzume herself was the woman she saw in that world was already foreshadowed when it's mentioned that in this world, all times are conjoined. The end where she saved both Souta and herself made me teared up a little. Her smile when locking the door of the past was the definition of relief and satisfaction. Everyone should be able to do something like this in their life.

A heartwarming movie about self-rediscovery and facing your past to put a past conflict to rest. A homage to the tragedy from 2011. And above all...
The message that one's life is precious and should be held on to dearly was thought-provoking. Hearing Souta and Suzume scream that they're scared or that they do not want to die, shattering any bravado and revealing their most humane of emotions really touched my heart. Thank you for the movie. I'm so happy to be alive.
ShadowkillZMar 8, 2023 9:07 AM
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Makoto Shinka cannot write plausible human relationships

MyllerPhiem - Apr 8

40 by MichaelJackson »»
Apr 19, 8:17 PM

Poll: » the "romance" didn't make sense ( 1 2 )

MongoDB - Apr 15, 2023

68 by MichaelJackson »»
Apr 17, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Which is your favorite from this trilogy?

_Chibii_ - Apr 16, 2023

45 by Myetx »»
Mar 14, 5:51 AM

» Is Suzume not related to your name/weathering with you?

BAKA0402 - Apr 27, 2023

23 by JakkoFourEyes »»
Jan 13, 5:47 PM

» Goof in the preview / first scene?

rboss - Dec 27, 2023

6 by rboss »»
Dec 27, 2023 5:57 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.