Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Aug 24, 2022 5:20 PM
Aug 2021
Had lots of worldbuilding and was overall great!
Aug 27, 2022 3:00 PM

Jan 2014
- Explorers on a boat who happen to have armor/helmets
- natives on land forced to be a guide
- "curses"
- ............and it didn't click until the end of the episode but "golden city"

yeah this all feels a little... racist. it's an obvious metaphor for colonizers/conquistadors finding El Dorado. the main character is white with blonde hair, which has me wondering where she came from again, iim not really recalling at the moment. but either way, i dont like this show anymore.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Aug 28, 2022 2:45 PM
Oct 2020
interesting, left me wanting to see more
Aug 30, 2022 1:03 PM

Sep 2017
made in abyss is finally back
Aug 31, 2022 1:11 PM
Mar 2021
you cant imagine whats next, just amazing
Aug 31, 2022 2:42 PM
Aug 2020
Zelev said:
- "curses"
- ............and it didn't click until the end of the episode but "golden city"

yeah this all feels a little... racist. it's an obvious metaphor for colonizers/conquistadors finding El Dorado. the main character is white with blonde hair, which has me wondering where she came from again, iim not really recalling at the moment. but either way, i dont like this show anymore.

These traits are not unique at all.
Of course the people on the boats trying to find the Abyss would have armor, because they don't know what the destination will be like at all, it is the smartest idea to bring armor there.
No natives were forced to be guides in Made in Abyss, the native they do get to be a guide was there because she wanted to, not because she was forced to be.
Literally throughout the entirety of Made in Abyss there has been talks of curses and blessings. Did you expect the author to just entirely forget about the curses the Abyss causes?
Additionally "gold" has always been used as a metaphor for "riches", and "El Dorado" is described by merriam websters dictionary as a "place of fabulous wealth or opportunity". Having 2 things that foreign explorers are looking for being full of riches isn't a very unique concept.
One of the main characters being white with blonde hair doesn't even matter because there are literally tons of anime characters with white skin and blonde hair. When the author was designing characters he wanted to make characters that were different from eachother, so he gave them all different hair colors, and "blonde" is a hair color, so of course one of the characters were going to have blonde hair.
meowmeowgamingAug 31, 2022 3:23 PM
Aug 31, 2022 5:12 PM
Jan 2021
the backstory wase impressive!
Aug 31, 2022 6:59 PM
Aug 2022
Great introduction to this upcoming arc
Sep 1, 2022 4:59 AM
Jan 2019
eppic anime, i love it.
Sep 1, 2022 9:09 AM
Jun 2022
MENmee MENmee...
Sep 2, 2022 10:49 AM
Nov 2020
never thought I’d see uncensored vomit in an anime, I thought it was illegal to show that in a Japanese anime
Sep 3, 2022 10:10 AM

Mar 2010
Damn I can't lie wish I was the one doing the raipey raipy cakey jk but damn the adventure sure is a fun time.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 3, 2022 12:01 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Made in Abyss is back with the full package, i.e., vomit, child abuse and gruesome death. Just what you'd expect from the series...

In all seriousness, it seems like the season will follow a parallel sort of narrative with a previous company (?). I'm curious to see how that'll go.

Riko taking a dump and the other inadvertently listening to it all was hilarious but I've to feel for them xD. The awkwardness, good lord.

Pretty darn good Op theme, think I'm hooked already!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 4, 2022 5:03 PM

Jan 2014
meowmeowgaming said:
Zelev said:
- "curses"

Of course the people on the boats trying to find the Abyss would have armor, because they don't know what the destination will be like at all, it is the smartest idea to bring armor there.
No natives were forced to be guides in Made in Abyss, the native they do get to be a guide was there because she wanted to, not because she was forced to be.
Literally throughout the entirety of Made in Abyss there has been talks of curses and blessings. Did you expect the author to just entirely forget about the curses the Abyss causes?
Additionally "gold" has always been used as a metaphor for "riches", and "El Dorado" is described by merriam websters dictionary as a "place of fabulous wealth or opportunity". Having 2 things that foreign explorers are looking for being full of riches isn't a very unique concept.
One of the main characters being white with blonde hair doesn't even matter because there are literally tons of anime characters with white skin and blonde hair. When the author was designing characters he wanted to make characters that were different from eachother, so he gave them all different hair colors, and "blonde" is a hair color, so of course one of the characters were going to have blonde hair.

if you dont know what el dorado is why do you think you're educated on such a topic first of alll.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 5, 2022 10:25 AM

Aug 2021
Great first episode of an uncensored anime and... Nanachi is adorable.

Sep 7, 2022 12:04 AM
Aug 2020
Zelev said:
meowmeowgaming said:

if you dont know what el dorado is why do you think you're educated on such a topic first of alll.

I do know what El Dorado is, can you say literally anything about what I actually said?
Sep 11, 2022 1:55 PM
Sep 2022
This is absolutely amazing!!
Sep 12, 2022 1:44 PM

Dec 2015
It was ok. Still felt like Kevin carried the episode, but at least I was a bit more invested on the worldbuilding, although it still uses a ton of boring exposition
Sep 18, 2022 6:33 AM

Feb 2011
Just starting this, good episode for sure

glad to see the author is as sus as ever. weirdly focused on bodily actions as well
ScootboiSep 18, 2022 7:00 AM

Sep 19, 2022 10:41 AM
Feb 2020
very interesting way to start off a season
Sep 26, 2022 8:19 PM
May 2017
I just want to watch this journey, hopping that nothing bad happens
Sep 27, 2022 1:28 PM

Sep 2020
So the first part is like a prequel to s1? The golden city looks so beautiful~ Also the eyeball elevator is really cool.
Sep 29, 2022 9:20 AM
Aug 2020
Quick question, I found like three different subs for this. Which ones are the best ones?
Sep 30, 2022 4:45 PM
Feb 2020
Hated the pedophile but like the direction of the plot
Oct 6, 2022 9:18 AM
Dec 2018
The pacing was fixed by starting off with Vueko's backstory right away. The transition to the trio when they enter the elevator was well thought
Oct 21, 2022 8:18 AM

Feb 2016
I don't remember the previous season being quite as bad as this.
その目だれの目?
Nov 6, 2022 12:30 AM
Dec 2016
Okay director' work. Loved changes of scenes
Nov 21, 2022 2:32 AM

Mar 2017
wtf was this Riko fart scene lmao
Dec 27, 2022 8:13 PM
Jan 2022
Perfecto episodio just amazing
Jan 3, 2023 11:53 AM
Aug 2009
Vomit, scat. Hahah. Not funny.
Jan 3, 2023 11:55 AM
Aug 2009
Vomit, scat, fart jokes. Disgusting episode, I don't want to watch this season already.
Jan 3, 2023 10:53 PM
Dec 2022
this show is so suss
Jan 8, 2023 8:21 PM

Jun 2020
This arc was really confusing to read in the manga because of the slow chapter releases so I hope the anime is paced better.

Also everything is uncensored, this is gonna get rlly fucked up
Jan 15, 2023 3:29 AM
Oct 2021
It was a very nice openning
Jan 22, 2023 7:59 AM
Jul 2017
Good intro to the next season.

I like the parallel they draw between riko and the girs. Although the girl holding the company being tortured and molested was a little over the top. i understand she has low self esteem, but if you're not going to flesh that out, then you shouldn't maladroitly tackle such sensitive topics.

bondrewd being able to see through nanachi's eyes may end up being a major plot point down the line. and her looking at poop telling bondrewd to savior the view was hilarious
Jan 31, 2023 8:34 AM
Jan 2023
This anime is so interesting, and opens so many questions!

Where did he put the blazing rod?
How do they know she can't give birth? Have they tested it? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

also that sh*tting scene was unnecessary and uncomfortable
Feb 12, 2023 5:06 PM

Feb 2018
That was an emotionally heavy 1st episode.. but at least Riko and the gang finally made it at the 6th layer! Capital of the Unreturned wooo! wait.. wha :S
Mar 10, 2023 1:09 AM

Aug 2012
Decided it was time to get back into Made in Abyss & was immediately assaulted with child rape, never change Made in Abyss lol. On a more serious note, reading through this thread it seems like the anime frontloaded this information, as from what was posted earlier, it seems Vueko's flashback there was saved later for the manga. If true, that's an interesting change. It certainly leaves a stronger impression right of the bat, but I'm not sure whether I prefer knowing this information ahead of time or if it's better to leave it for later. I think I prefer knowing it upfront tbh, but I'm not certain about that, or how I feel about it in general.

Regardless, I really liked the decision to kick this season/arc off by following new characters instead, I was actually hoping this entire episode would go by without featuring the main trio, but at least the lasted the first two-thirds. The most immediately interesting thing to me now is how these two stories are going to intersect, I do hope it takes a bit before Riko & crew run into Vueko & crew, as it'll make them coming together all the more exciting & satisfying. Wasn't a big fan of the poopy humour here either, but otherwise I found the rest of this all very interesting. Made in Abyss' world continues to be the most fascinating one, and I'm definitely looking forward to whatever Made in Abyss' take on the El Dorado concept turns out to be.

& obviously top marks for Kevin Penkin's score, which I feel does a lot of the heavy lifting with making this series feel as magical as it often can. That "OP" sequence once the title card dropped and they discovered their land in particularly. The set-up with the story was classic of course, but damn did his composition (& whoever the vocalist was) really sold me on it. It's one of my favourite moments of the series, one of those moments that just perfectly encapsulate the essence of the adventure.

ALSO, did the ending of that song give anyone else Disney Hercules vibes? Not the full song mind you, but the line "I know where I belong" certainly puts "Go the Distance" to mind. Largely lyrical, but the pauses are the same too, and maybe my mind is filling this in but I feel like the melody is similar there too. 
Apr 5, 2023 9:01 PM

Mar 2015
Carrying straight on from Movie 3! The poopoo peepee time was hilarious for sure.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 8, 2023 11:29 AM

Oct 2013
Geez, one episode in and you already got the body fluid vomit / pee / poo / sniffing fetishes of the mangaka, you see that's why you can't introduce Made in Abyss to normal people lol
Jun 16, 2023 1:19 AM

Oct 2019
Quite an impressive, funny and quite dark season start.
Complete with some of the first dwellers of the abyss, from perhaps hundreds or even thousands of years ago.
I wonder if Reg is derived from them.
Aug 5, 2023 6:55 PM

Jan 2022
Wow they really did make it, that's crazy! I'm participating in  AWC so I don't have much time to watch the movie, if anyone reads this, would you recommend watching the 3rd movie?
This never updates so that's cool
Aug 9, 2023 12:13 PM
May 2020
Stunning, mysterious, way too mature for anyone under 18, and adventurous. It is good to be back.
Oct 29, 2023 7:24 AM
Jan 2021
Buena intoducción de temporada metiendo más historia y esta vez, del pasado
Nov 9, 2023 4:21 AM

Nov 2023
Most of the episode is taken by a side story,
Dec 7, 2023 3:12 PM
Apr 2022
Too much child lewdness :(
Dec 9, 2023 8:49 AM

Nov 2023
What the hell... I feel bad for that loli girl. Damn
Dec 20, 2023 4:55 AM
Feb 2015
exciting for new adventure. the pooping scene are unexpected tho
Dec 27, 2023 8:55 PM

Apr 2021
The beginning was disturbing... Poor thing ended up being hit with a hot iron by its former owner.

Great for the first episode, now I know where that compass came from and also what it is for.
Well, I hope the stench isn't unbearable, just thinking about it...

The landscapes are great, the real expression of some characters, you can even see the despair on their faces. Let's go on this great adventure.
Feb 15, 3:06 AM

Nov 2020
This episode does an amazing job of capturing the entire tone and atmosphere of the series equally or even better so than episode one of season one. I say better because while season one had to be concerned about the character introductions as well, here we do not have that restraint. In the beginning we had to learn about Riko and what Reg was before we were sucked into the world. This episode does that right from 00:00 and prepares the perfect welcoming dish for the returning viewer seeped in lore and mystery. The path Riko and the crew are walking on is not a new one, for people have been enthralled by the abyss since before their homeland even existed. The timeline shifts keep the viewer at the edge of their seat, and no doubt they'll be interested to learn more after this one.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2022

246 by Puncheon »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2022

407 by RubyDaly69 »»
May 18, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MegamiRem - Aug 17, 2022

286 by Matheus050 »»
Apr 22, 4:26 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Xenocrisi - Jul 13, 2022

184 by asbest0sdust »»
Apr 20, 9:10 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2022

258 by Toooooooooohru »»
Apr 15, 10:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.