Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 22, 2016 3:49 PM
Sep 2011
The main exceptions I find to be are things like battle shounen with a large cast of characters. It's not uncommon for fans of the Naruto anime don't like the main character (or Sakura and Sasuke for that matter) and in DBZ, Goku is constantly out of commission so if you don't like him, you might enjoy the show more.

Chiibi said:
Fushigi Yuugi's Miaka. Worst female lead ever;.

Why did you have to go and do that? I was perfectly content repressing those memories. I think that's the only anime I don't regret dropping on the first episode, specifically because of her.
Jan 22, 2016 3:53 PM

Nov 2008
RLinksoul said:

Why did you have to go and do that? I was perfectly content repressing those memories. I think that's the only anime I don't regret dropping on the first episode, specifically because of her.

Crap, I am so sorry. XD

I guess I just think of her when people talk about female leads they hate. LOL

Wait, you dropped it THAT EARLY? MAN, YOU ARE SO WISE. I wish I had done that. :/

Then again, the first time I watched it was when I didn't really understand what good characters and good story were about. I watched every anime that had "cute art" on the cover. LOL

Jan 22, 2016 3:58 PM
Sep 2011
Chiibi said:
Wait, you dropped it THAT EARLY? MAN, YOU ARE SO WISE. I wish I had done that. :/

Then again, the first time I watched it was when I didn't really understand what good characters and good story were about. I watched every anime that had "cute art" on the cover. LOL

Whether or not I like the characters is very important, and I was talking around with friends and they all agreed that Miaka is the worst thing about the show, and doesn't get any better, so I was lucky enough to cut and run before I discovered that for myself.

Although I have seen faaaaar more annoying characters (Tuturu) but Miaka gets special mention because she's constantly needing to be rescued and is the absolute main character, unlike other characters I find completely irritating.
Jan 22, 2016 4:02 PM

Nov 2008
NOT ONLY DOES SHE NOT GET BETTER BUT SHE GETS WORSE.

It's really quite astounding how stupid and helpless she is....let's just say you saved yourself a LOT of aggravation. XD

And this sucks because FY's story had POTENTIAL to be so good. It has a great plot. But omg. She's not worth putting up with.

Jan 22, 2016 4:02 PM

Sep 2015
I never liked Gon Freecs but HxH is one of favourite animes... Same as for detective Conan
Jan 22, 2016 4:29 PM
Jan 2016
Chiibi said:
petitekuroneko said:

It's been a while since I've watched or read the series but I seem to recall her being a little inconsistent for my taste. Like in one instance she would be cool and tough and then she would get a little whiny and indecisive for me. I also found her to be a little overpowered (especially when she got Dia, who I didn't care for at all) since she had four times the amount of transformations than most of the characters. I also don't like most main characters where the majority of the people around them seems to think that they're awesome and great at everything and loves them because that's not exactly realistic...
This is what I seem to recall anyway, once again, it's been a while since I've read or watched it. She just kinda rubbed me the wrong way I suppose. No hate on anyone who liked her. Just not my style of female lead really. I will saythat I hated Shuurei a lot more than her and she's not the worst female lead on Earth but I didn't care for her.

Ah, I see. Yeah, Amu wasn't my absolute fave either but I liked Amulet Spade and I thought Utau was awesome. they should have given her a love interest WORTHY of her awesomeness though, that pisses me off. lol

*grins*
If you hate Shuurei, I would LOVE to see your reaction to Fushigi Yuugi's Miaka. Worst female lead ever; she makes even the ones that annoy you a little bit suddenly look amazing. Her talents include screaming her boyfriend's name every ten minutes.....and eating. And being a special kind of stupid, none of which can be found in any other character. I'm pretty sure five-year-old children are smarter than this teenager.

Come to think of it, she fits this topic to a T. She absolutely RUINS her own show with her presence. I can't enjoy it anymore.

Agreed. I really liked Amulet Spade. Favorite of her transformations for me because I actually liked that side of her. Just wish she had been a bit more consistent with personalities.

I've watched a bit of Fushigi Yugi but not enough to really know. Neither me nor my mom (who watches anime as well) could stand Shuurei though.
Jan 22, 2016 4:37 PM

Feb 2015
Monkey Dumbass Luffy completely ruined One Piece for me. I just can't handle 700+ episodes of him.
Jan 22, 2016 4:43 PM

Apr 2015
Definitely. Stein's Gate (or however it is spelled). That mad scientist annoyed me so much it took 3 attempts before i could finish it.
Jan 22, 2016 4:56 PM

Nov 2008
Ryuzaki said:
Monkey Dumbass Luffy completely ruined One Piece for me. I just can't handle 700+ episodes of him.

You've GOT to watched the Abridged series: NONE Piece. XD Luffy is now Sean Connery. It's amazing.

Jan 22, 2016 5:00 PM

Feb 2015
Chiibi said:
Ryuzaki said:

You've GOT to watched the Abridged series: NONE Piece. XD Luffy is now Sean Connery. It's amazing.
I've already seen it. It's second only to TFS's Hellsing Abridged.
Jan 22, 2016 5:01 PM

Nov 2008
Ryuzaki said:
Chiibi said:

I've already seen it. It's second only to TFS's Hellsing Abridged.

FFFFF Yesssssssssssssssssssss XD

Jan 22, 2016 7:10 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
It absolutely can IMO, if the MC is bad enough. Many times, if the anime is good enough, it can overcome a bad, angry/stupid, dense, or just plain frustrating MC. However, sometimes the MC can be so bad, that he destroys the entertainment level of the anime to the point that I have to drop it.

Two examples of the absolute worst MCs I've ever seen (from my perspective) that caused me to actually drop the anime are: Ichika from Infinite Stratos; and Yuuichirou from Owari no Seraph
Jan 22, 2016 8:51 PM

May 2014
Shirou's presence definitely ruined Fate/Stay Night & UBW for me, and Tatsuya ruined Mahouka for me. Also, a lot of Shoujo anime have crap leads, so I don't end up supporting the couple at all :/

Obviously the MC is one of the most important components to an anime, yet for some reason, they're always the least interesting and most cliched!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2016 8:54 PM

Oct 2010
ruined FSN for me. I hate Shirou so much
Jan 22, 2016 10:18 PM

Jun 2014
Atikal said:

When deen fate was the only anime that was out that makes sense, but now that ubw is here this man needs a break from all of this heat. I really don't understand why people hate him so much. Even if you find his actions to be retarded (which they are) with all of the reasoning behind them its kinda weird to still hate him.
Q: The world won't change, you must change yourself in this world. Now, how will you change yourself?

A: Become the god of the new world.
Jan 22, 2016 10:20 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
Strawberrycake48 said:
Shirou's presence definitely ruined Fate/Stay Night & UBW for me, and Tatsuya ruined Mahouka for me. Also, a lot of Shoujo anime have crap leads, so I don't end up supporting the couple at all :/

Obviously the MC is one of the most important components to an anime, yet for some reason, they're always the least interesting and most cliched!!

And yet Tatsuya is one of my favorite MCs - it's all about personal taste. I like OP MCs, whereas a dense, stupid, or angry/weak MC ruins an anime for me.
Jan 22, 2016 10:59 PM
Mar 2014
Yes and no. It depends on the show and how the characters act.
Jan 22, 2016 11:27 PM

Nov 2009
Strawberrycake48 said:

These two paragraphs taken together are very funny. Tatsuya is the only male version of Nagato Yuki I've ever seen, and yet you complain about him being cliched.
Jan 23, 2016 1:12 AM

May 2015
As long as there're other mains i don't dislike. I watch during breakfast so yea...see mc>dislike>meh back to eating
Jan 23, 2016 9:44 AM

Jan 2014
Not necessarily but it definitely makes me rate it lower.
Jan 23, 2016 12:17 PM

Jul 2015
of course

imagine the show where someone u dont like always popped up like shitt every fcking minute
Well Duh...

Jan 23, 2016 12:24 PM

Dec 2014
JewellTH said:
RayAdha said:
I dislike Rias and Akeno.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

Did I actually just read that? What is life
Jan 23, 2016 2:01 PM
Mar 2014
flannan said:
Strawberrycake48 said:

These two paragraphs taken together are very funny. Tatsuya is the only male version of Nagato Yuki I've ever seen, and yet you complain about him being cliched.
I mean
Calling a deconstruction like Shirou cliche isn't any better

TsundereHeart said:
arms98 said:

When deen fate was the only anime that was out that makes sense, but now that ubw is here this man needs a break from all of this heat. I really don't understand why people hate him so much. Even if you find his actions to be retarded (which they are) with all of the reasoning behind them its kinda weird to still hate him.
The anime adaptations don't really emphaize/explain the reasoning as much as it should though.
So all it looks like is Shirou being retarded.
Yeah, some things are actually very understandable when you look deep enough into them. A lot of his actions that people call dumb are actually pretty rational, it's just that people can't think for themselves and figure out why he did what he did -- and I honestly think they shouldn't when the anime doesn't even hint at why or make the tiniest effort to show people there's logic behind Shirou's actions and that he's actually a pretty smart dude. This is part of the reason his character is degraded so much in the adaptation (like several other characters), though he still gets much more hate than he should.
omfgplzstopJan 23, 2016 2:15 PM
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Jan 23, 2016 2:11 PM

Dec 2012
arms98 said:
Atikal said:

Knowing his reasoning doesn't stop him from being unlikable. Same as characters like Asuka, people know her background and why she has an attitude problem but that doesn't mean that isn't obnoxious to some.
Jan 23, 2016 2:46 PM

Dec 2012
TsundereHeart said:
tsudecimo said:

Knowing his reasoning doesn't stop him from being unlikable. Same as characters like Asuka, people know her background and why she has an attitude problem but that doesn't mean that isn't obnoxious to some.
In my opinion, it allows for a bit more suspension of disbelief.

Like I think if you know the reasoning, it's more likely that you will think "well he's definitely going to make decisions that most people wouldn't agree with. Let's see how broken he is / how far he's going to take his ideal"
Instead of something like "OMFG HOW IS HE NOT ABLE TO SACRIFICE HIS FAMILY MEMBER ON THE SPOT!!"

Of course you're right that some people will dislike him regardless, but I think some people would be more accepting. And I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people haven't even gotten to the point of understanding his reasoning for us to know which of the two it is

I really don't think people's problem with Shiro just stems from his decisions like those. It's his personality and attitude, not because they think he is irrational. For me personally I dislike characters when they make me cringe and Shiro dialogue, facial expressions and his VA made me cringe a lot, hence me disliking him (more so for Rin which is a lot more superficial than Shiro's). I do have an understanding of his mindset but at the same time that doesn't take away my own view on him being wrong in that mindset or that mindset being annoying.

Why did people who dislike Shiro root for Archer even though both are stubborn about their beliefs? because he wasn't unlikable and his character and decision seemed far more logical.

I think it's a combination between the two, but it leans more on people disliking something because they dislike it based on their emotions, not because Shirou is illogical. A lot of people have dislike that steps into hate which at that point has nothing really to do with logic.

TsundereHeart said:

(also long time no see)

Yeah, that new name tho :P
tsudecimoJan 23, 2016 2:50 PM
Jan 23, 2016 9:30 PM

Jan 2015
@tsundereheart @tsudecimo
The main i dont like him is because his ideals-no matter the reasons- and his faceand everything. I also dislike archer emiya, he is annoying too. Basically the whole team shirou is full of annoying ....
Maybe saber is ok.. Maybe. They face and goals are annoying, character design etc which was mentioned before. I doubt i would like any of them even if i knew their reasons.

Team Kirei FTW mongrels!

Peace
Jan 23, 2016 9:55 PM

Jan 2016
I can't stand it when a protagonist is unlikable, regardless of how good the story is. I've dropped anime after one episode simply because I hated the protagonist.
Jan 23, 2016 9:56 PM

Apr 2013
I hate Light from Death Note. Fuck that nigga, man.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Jan 23, 2016 9:58 PM
Jul 2018
Rei from HSOD, show actually works better without her even if she was hot. Bringing up your ex every time you get mad is not a way to endear yourself to others. You're in a zombie apocalypse, either get over it and fuck him or shut the hell up and let Saeko shine like the boss she is.

Older anime but Relena from Gundam Wing. She was amazing....when she wasn't spewing total pacifism every 2 minutes my god. We get it, war is bad ...she's still baby mama status though lol.
Jan 24, 2016 10:36 AM

Jun 2014
tsudecimo said:
TsundereHeart said:
In my opinion, it allows for a bit more suspension of disbelief.

Like I think if you know the reasoning, it's more likely that you will think "well he's definitely going to make decisions that most people wouldn't agree with. Let's see how broken he is / how far he's going to take his ideal"
Instead of something like "OMFG HOW IS HE NOT ABLE TO SACRIFICE HIS FAMILY MEMBER ON THE SPOT!!"

Of course you're right that some people will dislike him regardless, but I think some people would be more accepting. And I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people haven't even gotten to the point of understanding his reasoning for us to know which of the two it is

I really don't think people's problem with Shiro just stems from his decisions like those. It's his personality and attitude, not because they think he is irrational. For me personally I dislike characters when they make me cringe and Shiro dialogue, facial expressions and his VA made me cringe a lot, hence me disliking him (more so for Rin which is a lot more superficial than Shiro's). I do have an understanding of his mindset but at the same time that doesn't take away my own view on him being wrong in that mindset or that mindset being annoying.

Why did people who dislike Shiro root for Archer even though both are stubborn about their beliefs? because he wasn't unlikable and his character and decision seemed far more logical.

I think it's a combination between the two, but it leans more on people disliking something because they dislike it based on their emotions, not because Shirou is illogical. A lot of people have dislike that steps into hate which at that point has nothing really to do with logic.

TsundereHeart said:

(also long time no see)

Yeah, that new name tho :P

True, emotions don't really run on logic. I personally find it impossible to dislike characters that are fleshed out enough that i can get inside of their minds and understand their actions. The only kind of MC's i hate are MCs with no personality or Gary Stus. I find it hard to get behind a show when the MC is flat out boring
Q: The world won't change, you must change yourself in this world. Now, how will you change yourself?

A: Become the god of the new world.
Jan 24, 2016 10:45 AM
May 2010
Yes, because the MC will take up most of the screentime of the side characters you would rather see since, well, she's a main character. Most of your time spent on the anime will be on this unlikable person whom I don't want to spend another minute on. The rest is simple math.
Jan 24, 2016 12:44 PM

Jun 2015
Madlib said:
Not really to be honest. I've watched a few anime with MCs I dislike and still enjoyed them.
taht, if I idslike em, I drop the show....
Jan 24, 2016 1:58 PM

Nov 2011
yes, I hate all the MC of Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso ~
Jan 24, 2016 2:25 PM

Aug 2015
For the most part yes,since they are usually the character that we spend the most time around. A good main character is paramount.
Jan 24, 2016 2:33 PM
Feb 2014
Depends on the story I guess
However it can make me not prioritize the anime or manga

theres that one show where the MC is traveling around or smth and I'm not that happy about his design so I never bother to check it out
Jan 24, 2016 2:43 PM

Jan 2013
Accel world mc was horrible, also i hated Simon from Gurren Lagann for replacing someone as great a Kamina, i didnt hate him anymore after some time tho, in the end i gave it 10/10.
Jan 24, 2016 3:04 PM

Jan 2013
Cat said:
yeah it can definitely ruin a series for me. that's why i try to stray away from "shounen heroes" - wow, i'm just an average joe guy with no talents.. wait i secretly am op :0 and wow i now have a harem!!

you could argue that the mcs show character development but it's so cliche and typical.

and shoujo + reverse harem genre jfc. the mcs are so bland and boring. these two genres are so horrible together. i can only think of 3 anime that defy that stereotypical girl: skipbeat! yona of the dawn and kamisama hajimeshita.

You... you don't watch many shounen do you?

Yuyu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter, DBZ, Rurouni Kenshin. All the protagonists are boss as hell in the beginning. Twin Star Exorcist, Katai Shinso Zero, ZERO IN, Kurohime, Soul Eater, Medaka Box. What you described happens so little in shounen it's actually frightening.

The whole, I'm actually kind of special thing does bother me, but I feel that's the side-effect for long running series, and it happens in every genre of anime (Also, it can be done well if it's foreshadowed.) Seinen does it, and so does shoujo sometimes (just to make the heroine not boring.)
Jan 24, 2016 4:08 PM

Aug 2014
Haruhi Suzumiya made it too irritating for me to complete any of the franchise.

I hated Light Yagami but that didn't stop me from watching the show. I wanted to see him die, or at least get exposed.
However, I hated Haruhi Suzumiya and that was the major reason why I dropped the show.

tfw Kyon is the main character of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and the whole point is that Haruhi is a irritating, sociopathic, pompous brat that makes Kyon's life miserable. Kek.

Don't think the goal was for the viewers to necessarily like Light either.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Jan 24, 2016 4:11 PM

Feb 2015
I hated the MC in Kimi ga Nozomu Eien so much that I dropped it.
Jan 24, 2016 4:14 PM
Dec 2015
Yes. I have dropped many shows because of the MC. I saw the comments on Accel World on kissanime and lots of people were salty about the MC( because he was fat and the worst....)
Jan 24, 2016 4:27 PM

Dec 2011
If the characters outside of the mains are likable then not really.
Jan 24, 2016 4:55 PM

Apr 2012
Yes. Case in point: Okabe at the beginning of Steins;gate is incredibly annoying.
Jan 24, 2016 5:32 PM
Aug 2011
Takumi Nishijou of Chaos;Head made me hate that show.
Sense is like Cheese.
Jan 24, 2016 5:40 PM

Jan 2014
Yes, definitely, anime usually gives main characters the most screentime, and if the MC annoys you or gives you distaste or whatever then you're probably going to spend the majority of the time watching the show feeling annoyed or whatever.
Jan 24, 2016 6:05 PM

Mar 2014
Not for me. I don't like Light Yagami but Death Note is one of my favorite shows. If a show has enough redeeming qualities then I can overlook the main character.
Jan 24, 2016 6:17 PM

Nov 2013
Yes, to a moderate to high extent. Me hating Yukiteru and Shinji is partly why I hated Mirai Nikki and the original Evangelion so much, because they show themselves throughout their whole respective series to be horrid characters and it makes me actively root against them in the show. I thought Renton Thurston from Eureka Seven was gonna be a Shinji 2.0, but as the series progressed and he matured and progressed, I grew to like him as a character and a person, which greatly increased the appeal of the series to me. Then I watched Astral Ocean and I couldn't stand its MC so I dropped it
Jan 24, 2016 6:30 PM

Apr 2014
naruto ruined shippuden for me. i liked him in the original, but in shippuden some of the things he does is just so stupid and not heroic at all (Getting beat up for sasuke even tho he tried to kill naruto twice.)
Jan 24, 2016 6:32 PM

Mar 2012
Tel3 said:
Dropped Mirai Nikki 3 episodes in because of Yukki. So yeah, it can.

Oh boy, he becomes even much worse later on lol

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Jan 24, 2016 10:17 PM

Jul 2014
Yeah I really disliked the MC's for Phantom Requiem and that was a big reason why I don't like the show.

But its not all the time, like I thought Index in Certain Magical Index was a terrible character but I still enjoyed the show for the most part.
Jan 25, 2016 12:24 AM

Oct 2013
Kaori [Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso]
Sena [Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai]
and almost all female protagonists [reverse Harem Animes]
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 4 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

157 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
38 seconds ago

» Why are prudes trying to censor anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 33 minutes ago

12 by FanofAction »»
4 minutes ago

» Romance anime with wheelchair girl

ZakuF_ - 10 minutes ago

2 by Rhae »»
5 minutes ago

» Dumb narcissistic perverts is supposed to be funny?

Ri-KoRin - Yesterday

45 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
20 minutes ago

» Since anime fans today are weaklings and easily triggered, if Berserk were to be adapted properly today, do you think it would receive many complains? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - May 17

52 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.