Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 22, 2023 9:12 AM

Jan 2021
They didn't have to

THEY REALLY DIDN'T HAVE TO DO IT

and they did... they really loved the manga and I FUCKING LOVE THAT

Oct 22, 2023 9:28 AM
Nov 2016
To this day, Shizuka still has one of my favorites introductory chapters and the anime is even better.
Oct 22, 2023 9:30 AM

Sep 2014
Shizuka's intoductory chapter in the manga is really beautiful and Bibury did really reflect that with a WONDERFUL episode.

Also the TTS app is exactly what I was asking: Shizuka's voice but with that text-to-speech "accent" that will make it even more funny in the future gags.
Oct 22, 2023 9:33 AM
Aug 2023
what a great anime, all the emotions poured into this episode, this will probably be the best harem anime of the season, I recommend this one!
Oct 22, 2023 9:40 AM
Aug 2016
Man, what a soulful adaptation, they even added anime-original scenes like those whole book fantasy segments was one panel in the manga, plus some of their own jokes. As expected, Shizuka's episode delivered!
Oct 22, 2023 9:42 AM
Aug 2018
god, why am I starting to cry on this episode I can't believe another anime makes me cry again seriously.......
Oct 22, 2023 9:42 AM

Feb 2020
this episode made me tear up and laugh and smile hooly fucking peak
keeps getting better and better ;-;

Oct 22, 2023 9:49 AM

Jul 2016
Another great episode, they really struck a perfect balance of the comedy and the heartfelt more serious side as well. I feel like they're getting comfortable with the material as well.
We must protect Shizuka at all costs. I fear the day when this adaptation ends already.
Oct 22, 2023 9:54 AM

Jan 2023
"Did your damn brain rot away?!" Yes. Yes it did. And I'm all for it.

While the first two episodes are quite literally a comedy gold mine, episode three is a slightly darker turn of events. Shizuka with a more traumatic backstory on being bullied due to her shyness and reluctance to speak loudly, while we can see how caring and compassionate Rentaro is behind his chad energy. He may be stuck in a mega harem but he can care for each and every girl with his full heart. That TTS app section and the confession, what a surprisingly emotional and carthatic moment between the two. Damnit dude, I felt emotional throughout the flashbacks and that sequence.

Oh and we mustn't forget about the Karane and Hakari and their hilarious reactions to a third girlfriend. That's three down with 97 MORE TO GO.

Darker course of an introduction but one with a sweet ending to it, what an unexpected yet great episode.
Have a beautiful Sunday :]

"You fought to the end. You survived. That's why you're here now. I think that's something you should be more proud of."
- Vladilena Milizé
Oct 22, 2023 10:12 AM

Oct 2020
Yoshimoto Shizuka reminds me of Sumi Sakurasawa from Rent a Girlfriend.
Oct 22, 2023 10:15 AM

Jan 2018
Wow. Shizuka's introduction was really beautiful. Something I didn't expect out of this anime.

Like her namesake, Shizuka's the quiet type. I like her. Which makes me feel a bit sad that she's only going to be the 3rd girlfriend out of 100 total of Rentaro...
Oct 22, 2023 10:26 AM

Jan 2017
Meek girls communicating with everything but their mouths is my fav religion ngl
Oct 22, 2023 10:37 AM

Jul 2017
It was a very good adaptation for this episode, and I liked the imagery of the fantasy kind of romance novel setting and how the anime brought it to life here to match Shizuna's romance here in this episode. Pacing, flow and everything else about this was simple but fairly well executed overall. Love that iconic balcony too at the end, can't wait to see that a million times as the series progresses. Only 97 to go.
Oct 22, 2023 10:40 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
very solid first half of introducing a new girl and very funny second half "brainrot epidemic!"

Must protect the precious and cute Shizuka Yoshimoto!!

----

@Stark700 I think her name is Shizuka** not Shizuna. I know you always try to be one of the first create an ep thread, but this one confused most of us here. Please edit and correct the name.

----

In response to the Sokah's post below:

1. I understand why he has to type it manually. They're high school students. Scanning and converting to etext do come with a fee, not every printing shop in Japan have this option, so it depends on where they live.

2. You're missing the medium (book) and charm (story) that connect both Rentarou and Shizuka together. We don't need a 100% clone from another series. Anime is fiction. It's okay for anime to be different to use "text to speech" than texting as communication. It is written so she could communicate with others through her favorite storybook. This give more originality to her character.
Fuwa_sanOct 22, 2023 4:08 PM
Oct 22, 2023 10:53 AM

Jul 2014
He typed it all in manually because he's an idiot. Also it would be faster for her to type it than find it. Or just, you know, not have such a stupid affectation and just talk.
Oct 22, 2023 11:01 AM
Feb 2021
I loved this episode, Shizuka is the most adorable girl ever. It was so sad seeing her be treated as a freak by her classmates and mother... She deserves to be happy.
Oct 22, 2023 11:01 AM

Nov 2016
Shizuka is Nanako from Senryuu Shoujo and Sumi in petite body xD So far I'm enjoying this far more than expected and I guess it can't become dull if this keeps adding new characters like Komi.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 22, 2023 11:13 AM
Nov 2016
Reply to Sokah
He typed it all in manually because he's an idiot. Also it would be faster for her to type it than find it. Or just, you know, not have such a stupid affectation and just talk.
@Sokah crazedanimal already explained it:

From Rentarou's perspective he just wants to help her with what she is already comfortable with. Highlighting sentences on a screen is very similar to pointing at sentences in a book, so it seems like a safe bet that she would actually do it. The less similar to pointing at sentences in a book it is the more likely it will run afoul of whatever disorder prevents her from speaking normally.
Oct 22, 2023 11:16 AM
Apr 2020
Reply to FarCritical
While it's weirdly convenient for the app's text-to-speech voice to be literally Shizuka's, the symbolism of Rentaru "giving" her her voice is genuinely really sweet.

Ah yes, the two natural reactions to your boyfriend getting yet another girlfriend:
1. Getting rightfully pissed (the normal response)
2. Being glad you aren't getting dumped (the Hakari response)
@FarCritical Did it really? Has it been confirmed to be her VA?
Oct 22, 2023 11:25 AM
Jun 2023
This was far and away the best episode so far. It really took a lot of liberties with the book and used it to elevate the story so much more than I expected. I don't expect many episodes to be able to do what this one did going forward, but given that this episode was such a surprise, who knows how many more surprises are waiting.
Oct 22, 2023 11:42 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I kind of like this Shizuka girl and the way she "speaks". What an enjoyable episode.
But I also would love one of those "Gangsta" knifes. Where can I get one?
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
Oct 22, 2023 11:44 AM
Mar 2020
Shizuka is the cutest little freak imaginable. Cross Senryu Girl with Komi-san and what do you get?

I still feel bad for these girls he has yet to meet tho. Even more bad than I feel for him having to split himself 100 ways. I still think his best bet is to run off into the forest with them and never risk meeting another one.
Oct 22, 2023 11:55 AM
Oct 2021
such a good ep! i loved what he did making the app for her. so cute
Oct 22, 2023 12:46 PM

May 2019
Reply to Sokah
@Sokah
Yeah that was silly and it would've taken longer than 3 days. There is software available that can convert pictures into text (most likely for a fee though) so I thought that he just took pictures of each page. Also, I'm not a fan of the girls that can't speak (like Komi) but this was still a decent episode, especially the reactions from the 2 existing girlfriends when Rentaro introduced them to gf #3.
Oct 22, 2023 1:23 PM

Mar 2022
what the fuck is this!!!? how can this be so good?!? How can this be so sad, so wholesome, and so hilariously stupid at the same time?

Why is the tsundere soooo GOOD?

The confession scene. God damn!

Still... I'm worried at the premise. It's so over the top that it can't possibly make good on it. Somewhere, something will go beyond the line of stupid, I just know it.
I just don't want to binge the manga to find out :D
Oct 22, 2023 2:19 PM

Mar 2020
Progress: 3/100. Shizuka joins the group, and she's great!

The comedy took a step back this episode, understandably so, as Shizuka was a much different character to Hakari and Karane. Shizuka is the shyest girl so far in this series, and a librarian, who talked through her favourite book, Circlet Love Song, and I thought it was an interesting way to portray a shy character. I didn't think the backstory was really necessary, but it further emphasizes how much having Rentarou around meant to her, since he was kind and accepting of her personality. The emotional moments were directed very well, and I'm not gonna lie, I shed a tear. The best episode so far in my opinion in terms of character introductions, and I'm really looking forward to where we go from here.
Oct 22, 2023 2:26 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Looks like the comedy took a backseat this episode, and honestly I think it’s good that it did giving how Shizuka has an upsetting backstory, and it also made for that great moment where Shizuka confessed despite knowing about Rentarou’s orange and pink partners in crime lol, it was a sweet moment for sure.

And Shizuka has a Sumi/Komi thing going on which is interesting and cute (and btw I like Rent a Girlfriend and also this show, whoa that’s crazy), I like the aspect that she uses a book to talk to people, and now with Rentarou’s help she has a version of the book with text to speech that makes it easier to talk to others, i said in one of the discussion threads for another show that Rentarou has his girls handed to him and while that’s still true, the man is absolutely dedicated and that’s pretty cool lol. Definitely looking forward to seeing how Shizuka fits in with the other girls and what wildness may ensue.
Oct 22, 2023 2:46 PM

Jun 2016
Not hilarious as the first 2 eps but really sweet and kawaii, this series is pure gold.
Oct 22, 2023 3:02 PM

Jul 2015
Shizuka is the cutest character we've seen in a long time!
Must protect!

Oct 22, 2023 3:17 PM
Mar 2015
Our boi finds a way to add another gril
Oct 22, 2023 3:37 PM
Jan 2023
This episode was phenomenal. I am flabbergasted to how we arrived here, like what the fuck. Episode 1 was a 5/10, episode 2 was a 2/10, and now episode 3???? A literal 10/10. Just as emotionally captivating as FMAB episode 4, which is going to be an incredibly controversial take but holy shit this one’s good.
The episode follows our main character, Rentarou and the primary girlfriend of the episode, Shizuka.
Shizuka is a short, quiet librarian who has extreme social anxiety when it comes to communicating. Her fix for this is that she carries around a book that she’s memorized, flipping to the page and line for those communicating with her to read.
Rentarou in the previous episodes was always incredibly passionate about those who he’s romantically involved with, but this time he brings it to a whole new level.
He spends all his of his free time for days to the point he’s sleep deprived, manually typing this girl’s book into an app, so she can simply tap the line she wants to say and it’ll text-to-speech it for her. It really shows what kind of person Rentarou is. He said that he would never push her to speak verbally to him, as he knows how hard it must be for her to talk to people. This is in direct contrast to Shizuka’s past, as her mother was very verbally abusive towards her. She had no friends because she was called the weird girl. Rentarou goes out of his way to not only accept this, but improve her way of communication substantially, and I find that beautiful.
The comparison to the fantasy world (in the book Shizuka speaks out of) was wonderfully done too. It was quite a simple story, but that’s all it needed to be. I especially appreciate how when Shizuka points to a passage out of her book, it isn’t a perfect translation to what she wants to say, which is much more realistic. It shows the studio/manga taking the extra step to add an additional level of quality.
I wasn’t looking forward to the end of the episode, because I had a bad feeling that Shizuka would be introduced to Rentarou’s other girlfriends and it would be really cringe. I was really surprised. Hakari’s initial reaction is being overwhelmed by appreciation for Renrarou, as he had found another girl to love like the others, this was a wild reaction lol. Karane (tsundere) is initially very upset, and we get this crazy animation frame of her yelling. Rentarou says that if he ever loves Hakari and Karane less because of another girlfriend, that he will literally kill himself. He even ordered a knife off of amazon lol.
Speaking of which, this episode is really funny. It has less jokes than the first 2 episodes, but these ones are much better. The first 2 episodes weren’t overly funny in the first place.
The animation is on par with the first 2 episodes, that being really good.
Before I finish here, let me mention that having more than one girlfriend is very odd, and personally I think it’s really gross. In shows like this, it appeals as a male fantasy and doesn’t portray women realistically, which can be detrimental to a teenager’s perspective on women. I do not condone this. That said, this critical flaw is is unavoidable, and to watch this show you must look past it. Personally I can overlook this. Or at least I’m trying, the first 2 episodes were quite hard to watch at times. Unlike the Oshi no Ko insest and pedo parts, which were direct choices made and make the flaws a much worse show.
I’m excited to see where the show goes, considering the huge differences in score I’m giving each episode. Episode 3 will most likely be the best episode, and I’m praying that episode 2 was the worst. No one is going to read this review, like literally no one fucking cares lol
Oct 22, 2023 3:37 PM

Nov 2013
Shizuka so adorable. "Must protec at all costs" type of girl. Didn't expect to see her getting abused by mom and classmates... *rage face*
Surprised that the blondie is the only one to make sense lol. Rotting brains :D
Will she have a heart attack after 4th and 5th gf? :D Guess she'll just give up.

Oct 22, 2023 4:16 PM

May 2015
Shizuka is way too adorable! She definitely doesn't deserve that ruthless treatment from her peers and mom simply because she's shy! I'm glad Rentaro is such a great soulmate and was able to help her even slightly.
Oct 22, 2023 4:17 PM
Overthinker

Jun 2017
not as many gags this time. mostly it was sad. but we now 3% done
Oct 22, 2023 4:23 PM

Jun 2019
Boring girl. Reminds me of Shiori from The World God Only Knows except Shiori is better.
Oct 22, 2023 4:28 PM
Sep 2016
It's crazy how this anime is getting the attention it deserves!
Oct 22, 2023 5:19 PM
Jan 2022
great episode. been wondering how they will handle shizuka phone voice because the manga said rentaro recorded his own voice for it (i may remember it wrong)
Oct 22, 2023 5:31 PM

Sep 2018
It's unironically refreshing to see a harem anime where the main character isn't afraid or hesitant to act on his desire at all – if all lovegons were resolved with polyamory, maybe I wouldn't have so much beef with the romance genre, lmao.

Rentaro is shamelessly collecting new girls left and right, but he still manages to stay likeable due to the lengths he's willing to go for all of his love interests and the fact that he communicates his genuine emotions regularly. The show even acknowledges the absurdity of the situation through Karane's character yet simultaneously manages to make it feel like bringing new girlfriends into a relationship is an acceptable, everyday occurrence... This show is actually way more well-written and wholesome than I ever expected, haha.

Speaking of Rentaro's determination, the fact that he copied the entire book for Shizuka manually was so sweet! And even sweeter was seeing her be moved by the gesture after her backstory had been revealed... (⁠〒⁠﹏⁠〒⁠) Cheap formula, but it hits.
Oct 22, 2023 5:46 PM
Mar 2018
After the second episode was mostly gags that didn't necessarily land for me (not helped by the creative liberties taken in the localisation), I was surprised how good this one was. Wholesome and moving, but still funny.

Nothing else to say that hasn't already been said. 10/10 episode.
Oct 22, 2023 6:32 PM

Oct 2020
Perfection. I love the extra scenes taking place in Circlet Love Story and those scenes not only fill out extra time but also elevates Shizuka and Rentaro’s growing relationship. A really well done episode.
Oct 22, 2023 6:42 PM

Nov 2021
This episode was so well done man it made me cry ngl
Oct 22, 2023 6:43 PM
Jan 2023
esse ep foi muito fofo, gostei muito da shizuka, que é provávelmente minha favorita junto da hakari.
Oct 22, 2023 6:58 PM
Aug 2022
They really nail the blushing in this anime. It stands out a lot compared to other romance anime’s.

I’m curious to see how he goes about handling the next few girls and how the author managed to keep such a stupid plot together.

Rentaro has managed to get 3 girlfriends before most romance mc’s even realise they have feelings for the female mc.

Shizuka might be my favourite so far. She feels the most real and relatable so far.

This show is so stupid I love it.
Oct 22, 2023 7:14 PM

Oct 2010
Shizuka is so sweet and cute!!! She is definitely my favorite so far!
"Do you want me to take you away... to a place in this city where wishes come true?"
Oct 22, 2023 7:31 PM

Sep 2021
Not quite as explosive and funny as the first two episodes, but really sweet! Shizura is so cute, I just want to hug her and tell her everything will be alright xD

I fear between Thirsty & Tsundere, I fear the worst for her is yet to come. Love isn't all cute & corny as in her favorite book. But Rentaro will certainly help her out. Unless another Soulmate appears...
Oct 22, 2023 7:32 PM
Jan 2021
Literally PEAK

This adapts the manga in the best way imaginable
Oct 22, 2023 8:06 PM

Apr 2023
BRILLIANT.
Shizuka is just soooooo cute...
But wait Rentarou, don't you know how to OCR?
Oct 22, 2023 8:20 PM
Nov 2022
It gets better with each episode, I love this shit, it's just what I needed.

Shizuka's declaration of love was very beautiful, I hope the rest follow the same style.
Oct 22, 2023 8:28 PM
Oct 2020
Fuck.., man, this is so setimental, my heart can't hold this
Oct 22, 2023 8:40 PM

Sep 2018
This will be my dropping point. I was trying not to fast forward at all points. I guess one thing that ruined the episode for me is how often I see the quiet type character in anime. She has the sense of humor of a dried squid, and had no spine at all. Even TWGoK chic knows when to talk back. I usually like harems, but not ones where the fem Cs can't do anything outside worshipping the mc as a god. This episode lacked comedy I watched it for, and I could never respect this as a romance. Lol
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2023

138 by traed »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2023

122 by __kitooo »»
Jun 26, 2:08 AM

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 12, 2023

142 by _untitled »»
Jun 24, 8:41 AM

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2023

133 by _untitled »»
Jun 17, 12:36 PM

Poll: » Kimi no Koto ga Daidaidaidaidaisuki na 100-nin no Kanojo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2023

177 by GureJoestar »»
May 31, 5:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.