Forum Settings
Forums

How do you feel when your "taste" in anime is criticized?/ Do you criticize others' anime "taste"?

New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jan 16, 2014 11:56 PM

Oct 2012
Everyone has shit taste.
Jan 17, 2014 12:04 AM

Apr 2012
Fundog said:
lonelyintrovert said:
I feel pretty indifferent. After all its my opinion. No, I don't criticize other people on their tastes. If everyone loved the same animes then what would the anime industry be like today?

Much better, we'd actually have more frequent decent releases.

i look at your list and I have no idea why you keep watching shows that you have rated 1s or 2s. Are you some kind of masochist? Naruto 2 - Progress : 220........ lol'd Also your mean score is horrendously low. Ever consider opting out of the anime medium?

Whelp at least you gave Spice and Wolf a 7, which is actually your highest rated anime
/thumbs up

Anyways don't care if people judge me because I still find enjoyment in shitty anime.

zzzeallyJan 17, 2014 12:09 AM

Jan 17, 2014 12:07 AM

Jan 2014
"People who don't pay for my internet bill have no right to tell me what to do."
I live with this principle.

In other words, I don't really care if someone on MAL criticize me. And I don't criticize others either. But once in a while, I feel superior to someone if his/her favorite is a series that, IMO, is really bad. I won't say anything to him/her, though.
Jan 17, 2014 12:14 AM

Oct 2012
Jan 17, 2014 12:55 AM

Oct 2010
samishime said:
Nobody has ever criticized my taste in anime......

Hipster.

Nah but seriously. I think there is a difference between constructive, well-explained criticism that tries to make points and reach a consensus, and plain bashing. I have never been criticized about my overall taste because that would be absurd, but I have, and I think like any other, been criticized over certain points from time to time. Such as my reasons for liking or disliking a show. And when this is brought with the intention to have a healthy debate, it is always positive.

zdude18 said:
People with shit taste should brush their teeth

+1000
Jan 17, 2014 12:58 AM
Nov 2010
Zeally said:
Fundog said:
lonelyintrovert said:
I feel pretty indifferent. After all its my opinion. No, I don't criticize other people on their tastes. If everyone loved the same animes then what would the anime industry be like today?

Much better, we'd actually have more frequent decent releases.

i look at your list and I have no idea why you keep watching shows that you have rated 1s or 2s. Are you some kind of masochist? Naruto 2 - Progress : 220........ lol'd Also your mean score is horrendously low. Ever consider opting out of the anime medium?

Whelp at least you gave Spice and Wolf a 7, which is actually your highest rated anime
/thumbs up

Anyways don't care if people judge me because I still find enjoyment in shitty anime.

I was going through a phase where I watched harems, which were all bad. And the rest of the lowly rated shows are from my childhood. And Naruto is part of that group, and because I've watched it for ages, I can't drop it no matter how bad it is. I find the manga to be slightly better though.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Jan 17, 2014 1:33 AM

Mar 2008
Tastes are completely subjective but sometimes I criticize others if I feel they're just falling for certain gimmicks.
Jan 17, 2014 2:16 AM

Sep 2012
Only when people criticize a good romance or praise an awful one.
Jan 17, 2014 3:04 AM

Mar 2011
No one really has, I wouldn't really care if they did though because I'm pretty confident in my opinion on most anime.
Jan 17, 2014 4:02 AM

Nov 2012
It's good they ensure me Im very diffrent.
Jan 17, 2014 4:30 AM

Jul 2012
Basic rule is:

Everyone can like whatever they like.
But having a taste or opinion doesn‘t mean it can‘t be critisized.

Some people think that they are entitled to have an opinion, your right to free speech is just as much any others right to free speech.

I distinguish between two major behaviors here.

1) Harrasing
Someone comments on your profile „your taste sucks, anime X, Y and Z are trash and you suck!“.

Obviously this is either pure bulling or trolling. In either case it should not happen, and if it does you can report, ignore (preferably), or troll back.

2) Honest Critisizm
One guy was on my profile once and asked me what I think of Madoka. I told him that I thought it made no sense. He asked me how it made no sense. I gave him a long response with serveral points of objection. He then came back at me like „people who think too much about anime are stupid!“ and I once responded „if you think, thinking is stupid, you have a serious value distortion“.

He reported me and deleted all my comments and his comments.

This is both a perfect example for how to conduct criticism and how people don‘t understand the concept of free speech.

Sure MAL is private and the Admins make the rules, but if some guy asks ME about MY opinion about a show, and doesn‘t like what I have to say about it, he should just leave me alone and not fucking report me.

So for everyone here. It‘s totally fine to discuss taste, criticize it and make valid points. Don‘t forget that taste is in the end subjective (which doesn‘t mean you shouldn‘t defend it, or don‘t accept criticism which you could agree with).

PS: Your favorite anime sucks.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jan 17, 2014 5:20 AM

Jun 2011
I can take constructive criticism when it comes to my favorite anime. However, I never let that change my opinion on a particular series. It does piss me off when someone comments on your preferences in anime because they believe that they are "superior" to you due to having "better" favorites. I didn't really get bashed for my tastes yet but even if I did, who cares? Everyone has different preferences and opinions when it comes to anime. Some people genuinely like romance while others hate it, some like harems while others don't, etc. Having different tastes is great because it would be pretty boring otherwise. There is no such thing as "good" or "bad" taste. Those who think that are clearly trying to look superior to everyone else.

Jan 17, 2014 5:26 AM

Jan 2013
I get a little annyoed , but then I get over it and move on . It's now worth to be sad over it , people have different point of views . Example - I love Samurai mangas , but then another one comes in and criticize it . So , isn't it immature to fight with him now ? This is why I don't debate about people's tastes . To each on his own .
Jan 17, 2014 5:29 AM

Aug 2008
i'd feel like someone just slapped me in the face ngl but i'd quickly get over it bc there's no reason why i should get mad bc it's just anime /shrugs/
Jan 17, 2014 5:31 AM

Jun 2013
It sometimes makes me a little sad. Especially when they are judging an anime they haven't even seen.

As for others' opinion. I really think they should just watch and like whatever makes them happy.
My signature is lame...
Jan 17, 2014 6:38 AM

Dec 2012
My taste is neutral and absolute, anyone who dares criticize it is most likely wrong and as such, I just disregard their meaningless opinions.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Jan 17, 2014 6:50 AM

Aug 2007
I'm offend when people critique the animes I watched or I like. So, if I like an anime that a person don't like I don't see any problem, I like that anime. So, when I see a person that dropped an anime that I consider one of my favourites (i'll b honest) I feel sad, but I don't say anything, that person don't like that anime, and that's why this world is interesting.
Jan 17, 2014 7:05 AM

Jan 2013
meh haters gona hate
Jan 17, 2014 7:33 AM

Apr 2010
Jan 17, 2014 10:03 AM

Jun 2012
I don't even respond if someone tries to criticize my taste in something.
Shoot first, think never.
Jan 17, 2014 10:05 AM

Jan 2014
I never particularly care if someone criticize my taste in anime. I just shove off their comments.
Jan 17, 2014 10:09 AM

Jan 2013
I have flaw less taste in anime, film, tv shows, & games. If more people shared my taste, shitty series's and films would stop being made.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Jan 17, 2014 10:11 AM

Feb 2013
When they criticize my taste I just think they are foolish and ignorant.
And for the other question I don't criticize nobody's taste.
Jan 17, 2014 1:11 PM

Jul 2013
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and tastes. I'm used to criticism over my preference of drama free SOL's and a distinct dislike of anything with too much drama/violence.
These things happen and there's nothing you can do about it. They aren't necessarily planned and they aren't always bad, and they aren't always good, but they are. - Emi, Katawa Shoujo
Jan 17, 2014 1:13 PM
Mar 2013
Well I have the best taste on MAL
Jan 19, 2014 10:43 PM
Sep 2013
Who cares. The average MALer insulting your taste would be like a One Direction fan telling you you have bad taste in music. I'm pretty aware I like great stuff.
Jan 19, 2014 10:46 PM

May 2011
I'd ignore it (or their account) if they were annoying. I don't really give a fuck what people have to think about my tastes, they're MINE after all...
*Cringey anime weeb stuff*
Jan 19, 2014 11:06 PM

Jan 2013
learn to not give a shit and move on
Jan 19, 2014 11:11 PM

Aug 2012
Depend on how I'm criticized, if the person is straight up rude (Like personal insults) I often tell them to go f*ck themselve and come back when he/she can discuss properly. However if the person friendly ask why I like something I try to explain why. And if a person for example has a really negative mindset about a anime I like I often say "To each his own" as what I say won't really matter to that person.

I myself always criticize others taste if I don't agree with them (In a friendly manner ofc), dicussion is health and a good way to get a understanding of how another person works.
RabbiacJan 19, 2014 11:23 PM
Jan 19, 2014 11:18 PM

Dec 2012
Yes, I get a little salty when someone criticizes what I enjoy... But I don't criticize and shoot down anything they like back out of spite... There's no reason too... We all have our own tastes =^-^=

I don't needlessly bash a series or genre, but I do give construct criticism on some of the things that I don't understand, or on things that could have been better.

I dislike needless bashing. =^~^=
Jan 19, 2014 11:37 PM

Jan 2014
I'm fine with someone giving a negative opinion on an anime or any other entertainment I enjoy in general as long as they're at least civilized about it and can come up with reasons why they don't think it's of a high quality besides it's "gay" or "dumb." That being said, it won't hurt my feelings or make me enjoy it any less because it's something that I enjoy, and in the end that's all that matters.
"Find the twinkle in your smile, chase it on til' morning."
Jan 19, 2014 11:44 PM
Jul 2013
I feel my tastes are inherently better than most people, seeing how I am harsh on giving out ratings and take everything into account before judging, while most people rate on mere enjoyment.

As for criticizing others tastes, nope I don't bother. I just browse and muse to myself, unless I see that they have similar tastes to mine.
Jan 19, 2014 11:47 PM

Dec 2012
Liph said:
Depend on how I'm criticized, if the person is straight up rude (Like personal insults) I often tell them to go f*ck themselve and come back when he/she can discuss properly. However if the person friendly ask why I like something I try to explain why. And if a person for example has a really negative mindset about a anime I like I often say "To each his own" as what I say won't really matter to that person.

I myself always criticize others taste if I don't agree with them (In a friendly manner ofc), dicussion is health and a good way to get a understanding of how another person works.

mallow45 said:
I'm fine with someone giving a negative opinion on an anime or any other entertainment I enjoy in general as long as they're at least civilized about it and can come up with reasons why they don't think it's of a high quality besides it's "gay" or "dumb." That being said, it won't hurt my feelings or make me enjoy it any less because it's something that I enjoy, and in the end that's all that matters.

These two summed up how I take this topic.
Jan 20, 2014 2:01 AM

May 2012
HATUL said:
Doflamingo45 said:
If someone calls a show I really like crap even though they never gave it a shot then that will annoy me. But other then that if they've watched it and they still think it's crap then that's their own opinion.

^ I agree.
Especially people who prejudge an anime because of it's artstyle or because of how old it is are really annoying.
Also, I don't mind if anyone criticizes my tastes, because I know I'm right and they're dumbasses lol. Though I don't think I've ever been criticized for my taste before.

I prejudge an anime based on its artstyle... Am I annoying? well, like what most of us says, we all have our own tastes and way of thinking... So mostly, I agree.
Jan 20, 2014 2:09 AM

Apr 2013
I usually get back at them insulting them as a person.

5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jan 20, 2014 2:13 AM

Feb 2012
People like what they like. For example a lot of people said guilty crown was bad but I loved it. I don't like SAO but my best friend loves it. ^^ I don't really care to be honest. There's no point in criticizing other peoples taste in anime, its not like it's going to change their opinion of it.

Jan 20, 2014 6:34 AM

Dec 2013
My taste in anime has never been criticized but I really don't care. It's all about opinions, if we have different taste than we have different taste. These differences are what make us human.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jan 20, 2014 9:35 AM

Dec 2013
Iterated. It makes me angry when my, or anyone else's tastes are criticized. People have different tastes and opinion which almost always apparent and is their opinion. Hell, someone could give FMA: Brotherhood (the highest scored anime), a lower score than Mars of Destruction (one of the lowest scored anime), and that is their opinion.
Jan 20, 2014 9:46 AM

Aug 2013
I don't ask others to have similar tastes. There can only be one person as perfect as me in this world. Yeah, other people's imperfections don't bother me
Jan 20, 2014 10:44 AM

Sep 2013
My taste hasn't been criticized but I can assume I'll feel really bad but at the time I'll make sure I'll criticize their taste in return for revenge! >:D

Seriously though, I can criticize anime that someone likes but I won't criticize their taste. It's not like I really care about other people's taste anyway, it's their taste. Caring about someone else's taste sounds way bothersome too.

Discussing someone's taste however, is diferent. I wouldn't mind discussing my taste in anime with someone else while discussing their taste too. As long as they aren't rude I'm perfectly fine.
Jan 20, 2014 10:46 AM

Dec 2010
I get flak for loving Naruto, but screw them.
Jan 20, 2014 10:57 AM
Jul 2013
Pknoctis said:
I get flak for loving Naruto, but screw them.

You'd only get flak for that if you fit into the stereotype image of an average Naruto fan.
Jan 20, 2014 11:17 AM

Jul 2012
I try not to directly criticize anyone's taste but I will take people less seriously based on it. I mean we all have certain tastes and if theirs doesn't align up with your own then taking recommendations and whatnot from them won't really help yourself.
Jan 20, 2014 11:30 AM

Nov 2012
my taste has never been criticized yet and i don't criticize others' taste either
Jan 20, 2014 11:31 AM

Sep 2013
my taste cannot be criticized, it is perfect

i go around enlightening people
Jan 20, 2014 11:38 AM
Sep 2013
If someone bashes shows for no reason then I don't really bother, but if they have reasons why a show is good/shit, then even if I don't agree I'll listen to what they have to say.
The end is nigh

Jan 20, 2014 11:59 AM

Jun 2013
I find it annoying when someone's critisism is based on other people's opinions. When a large group of people say it's BS, it will spread and still more and more of them will think that way.
I don't remember being criticized cos I don't like these kinds of arguments.
Jan 20, 2014 12:44 PM

Mar 2012
People who go around criticizing people's tastes in anime are a waste of time and space.

People watch different anime for different reasons. I can't tolerate people that say, "you have shit taste" and then check their list and something like Death Note has a 10/10 (FYI, I REALLY hate Death Note).

We all have different tastes and different opinions when it comes to anime. That's what makes anime so great. Not every anime ever made is catered to everyone. If it was, it would be boring. If we all liked the same stuff, there would be nothing to discuss.
Jan 20, 2014 12:45 PM

Jan 2014
I feel

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=735763

I don't.
I MURDERED OUR ENTIRE CLAN UMAD SAUCEGAYYYYYYYYY UMAD?¿
http://foolishbrother.chatango.com/
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

38 by weebtoge »»
5 minutes ago

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - Yesterday

22 by Darion_Phoenix »»
8 minutes ago

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 8 hours ago

36 by Entity72 »»
9 minutes ago

» Most attractive seiyuus?

Mattenan - 38 minutes ago

4 by weebtoge »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998

Iron_Leopard - Yesterday

32 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.