Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 16, 2011 11:09 AM
Mar 2009
Other than the fact that the little girl is rather annoying, it was really sad and I probably would of cried if I wasn't distracted with other things while watching it, ruining the mood. Best anime of the season anyone?
Apr 16, 2011 11:33 AM

Nov 2010
MessageInTime said:
Wow, that was pretty good. I've seen 7 Clannad episodes and so far that had more of an impact than any of those did on me.
Just wait until you see Clannad After Story.
This

and
This season is actually shaping up to be much better than I thought it would.

This

After passing almost all of the anime that I plan to watch, and I have no expectation toward this.
Completely caught off the guard, some eye-moist events although it's just episode one.

A kind of atmosphere that I got from After Story and Toradora combined, this is probably will be the best show of the year for me if this continues brilliantly. I don't expect to see MY kind of show this season :D
Apr 16, 2011 11:37 AM

Apr 2009
Oh. My. God. This was an excellent first episode. I have a feeling this will be an extreme tearjerker, but I'm guessing it'll end like Fuko's arc in Clannad. But damn, it's very depressing.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Apr 16, 2011 12:42 PM
Jan 2011
DesolateOne said:
Lol @ the "bitch" part. Can't believe Menma said that word lol

Its pretty sad noone sees her. Its hard on both of them, but especially for Jintan since he's the only one who can. He can't sometimes help but react to what she does or says..I guess that's part of the reason why he's alone.

That guy in the uniform (I think his name is atsumu?) Pretty much crushed Jintan. I feel bad for him now.

Damn..Menma tryna shrug off what Jintan said back when they were kids...gets depressing by the minute. Also, when she comes home to her family, damn I cried a bit. Her brother wasn't tryna be a jackass but that really mustve hurt Menma..

There's a lot of emotions running in this anime, I really love it.

With Jintan finding Tetsudo, a childhood friend, the train starts moving.

Can't wait for next one.

I have a feeling that Menma is a ghost which only Jintan can see, nearly everybody seems to not see her except for Jintan.
Apr 16, 2011 2:16 PM

Aug 2008
Oh wow. They just need to keep this intensity up for the remaining episodes and it could be my fave show this season.
I wasn't expecting much plot-wise and boy was I surprised. :D
Apr 16, 2011 2:18 PM

Apr 2009
Neutral_Eyes said:
That said, I cried. The characters' situations only lit the fuse that got me thinking about a friend of mine that died a couple years ago, and how far apart I've grown from old friends, and the scene with Menma's family did me in.

That's what I was thinking. I had a friend in elementary school who died in our second year of junior high, and this anime somehow got a lot more personal when I made that connection. Also, the scene in Menma's house really pulled at me. I know how much emphasis the Japanese put on family, so the contrast between her brother and mother had great impact.

I'm loving this so far. I look forward to seeing more of it, though honestly it seems like something that would work better as a movie.
Apr 16, 2011 2:30 PM

Sep 2009
Alot of ppl are comparing this to Hanasaku just because its both sad anime. But strange i didn't cry watching this. Guess this isn't that sad. I like Hanasaku more though.
Apr 16, 2011 2:41 PM

Oct 2007
AnoHana and Hanasaku are going to kick this season in the ball. And they better make it happened.

Lets show them the POWER OF FLOWER~

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Apr 16, 2011 3:11 PM

Oct 2010
This was awesome.
and was sad but interesting

Tumblr |  Anime List | 🌷🌼

Apr 16, 2011 3:23 PM

Mar 2008
Bunny-kins said:
C'mon, it wasn't that sad, was it?
Some of it felt like forced drama and
so true...

ringoo4 said:
No, it is definitely comparable, as both Hana saku and Ano hana's story is written by same person.
oh well... Bakemonogatari and Katanagatari are also from the same authors, but those are two completely different shows, not to mention that they're produced and directed by completely different companies and directors.
But whatever, I don't wanna argue much about it, I just hope the next episodes will be better
DeathfireD said:
I bet this is the story on how the power rangers where formed. By the end I expect mecha battles.
LOL, I wish you were right DeathfireD! But since this show's not done by Shaft, the chances are pretty low xDDD oh and nice seeing you here - I still kinda miss your relationship charts from the White Album discussion threads xD
Apr 16, 2011 3:27 PM

Sep 2009
Ah damn, I really need to stop reading the reviews before watching every anime.

I really wanna watch this because I enjoy sad series (as crazy as it sounds), I don't really understand it myself.

The problem is that after reading the review I don't know if I could possibly bring myself to watch this anime. In the past years I have had many friends dying, one of them pretty recently (a girl which kinda resembles Menma going by the description at that)

Fuck, it even brought a tear to my eye reading the review. Is it still worth watching though, anyone with similar experiences who can give their opinion of this?
Apr 16, 2011 4:09 PM

Sep 2009
the period comment, really Yumekichi11?...lmao!!

Wanted a show with deep drama this season and here it is! The OP & ED were perfect.
The scene where the ghost girl goes back home was sort of sad.
This season surely looks brilliant.
more dorama please!
Apr 16, 2011 4:25 PM

Jul 2009
Easily original best anime of the season.
Apr 16, 2011 4:28 PM

Feb 2009
Came here for the uh... dunno. The description seemed interesting. Wasn't expecting much but damn. It was really surprsing that I've stumbled upon a REAL PLOT. Definitely the most promising title of the season so far.
Apr 16, 2011 4:31 PM

Jul 2008
This is definitely my kind of show. I love this episode and can't stop watching the OP. \o/

BEGINNER
Apr 16, 2011 5:21 PM

Oct 2009
Yeah the anime description was kind of misleading, but I was quite surprised to find out what this anime is truly about.

And despite what I said in the spoiler above (it's just a guess by the way), I'm more than happy to watch every ep for the feelings and emotions. Hopefully this anime will be done very well; the pilot certainly was no dissappointment.
Apr 16, 2011 5:24 PM

Aug 2009
soulelle said:
ringoo4 said:
No, it is definitely comparable, as both Hana saku and Ano hana's story is written by same person.
oh well... Bakemonogatari and Katanagatari are also from the same authors, but those are two completely different shows, not to mention that they're produced and directed by completely different companies and directors.
But whatever, I don't wanna argue much about it, I just hope the next episodes will be better
Simply being an author and having a series composition role is completely different. Beside, Okada Mari's script is known for being very unique compare to any other scriptwriters, as she never learned writing professionally, but by herself. I could already see how similar both show was especially when it comes to dialogues, atmosphere and word usage.

The biggest difference is however, is superiority of direction in Ano Hana, which changes everything.
Apr 16, 2011 5:28 PM

Jan 2009
I thought that it will be just another romance but now I think it might will be interesting :D
I`ll keep watching
Apr 16, 2011 5:48 PM

Aug 2010
Reading through the comments it seems that all of the Clannad fans are loving this. 'm no different.
Apr 16, 2011 5:49 PM
Apr 2010
Alright.... It took Clannad (including afterstory) roughly 42 episodes before I shed a tear.
This one did it in the first episode..... Wow.
Apr 16, 2011 5:53 PM
Apr 2010
ringoo4 said:
soulelle said:
ringoo4 said:
Simply being an author and having a series composition role is completely different. Beside, Okada Mari's script is known for being very unique compare to any other scriptwriters, as she never learned writing professionally, but by herself. I could already see how similar both show was especially when it comes to dialogues, atmosphere and word usage.

The biggest difference is however, is superiority of direction in Ano Hana, which changes everything.

I don't give a rat's *** on who's better, both this and Hanasaku are both(hopefully going to be) great drama series, each with its unique background, plot, and entertainment.

Compare them when they are over. :D
Apr 16, 2011 6:35 PM
Feb 2011
WoW
i wasnt expecting much from this anime. The description was a little weird but after watching the first episode it gave me the biggest impression of them all. This anime is definitely gonna be best anime of the season.
i cant wait for more episodes to come out XD
Apr 16, 2011 7:19 PM

Feb 2009
Hmm, I didn't cry... But I can see it coming in the future. I hope the friendship between them all is stronger then any romance elements, I think the friends part of it will make for a better storyline and definitely better character development. I felt super bad for the main guy and the ghost girl when she went home and just said "It's okay, I know I'm dead...".

Deadman Wonderland, Hanasku Iroha and this series will be competing for best series of the season, that's for sure.
Apr 16, 2011 7:44 PM

Aug 2010
I forgot to mention did anyone else here Naruto's catchphrase in there? ~dattebayo
Apr 16, 2011 8:31 PM

Jul 2008
I really liked it.

But is Menma really just a figment of Jintan's imagination? She visited her house on her own time, when he wasn't with her. Was that just a thing, or is she really visiting him from beyond the grave?
Apr 16, 2011 8:31 PM

Nov 2007
Very strong first episode.
They may have forced the drama at some points, but overall it did a great job in setting up a story you can relate to, and getting the emotions across.
Everyone has it's own way of dealing with the death of a friend, and here it's led to the group of firends to fall apart. I suppose it's Menma's wish to bring them all together again, leading to the bittersweet ending of her being able to let go and pass over.
I hope to see them focus on the various group members and keep it realistic.
The only problem I have is with Menma: she looks too generic, and her VA isn't helping either. Other than that, it's a great set-up, and I'm really looking forward to the next ep.
Apr 16, 2011 9:54 PM

Sep 2008
Ok, so this has just entered being one of my favs of the season. Easily.

How can a first episode be THIS good. Damn.
Apr 16, 2011 9:57 PM

Aug 2008
Great start!

5/5
Apr 16, 2011 10:32 PM

May 2010
narator91 said:
Annoying dead girl that looks like Index.

So that's why she looked familiar.

Wow there's some of great slice of life animes this season.
Real Hell is inside a person-Ai Enma (Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae)
Do you know where hell is? Inside your head-Chrona (Soul Eater)

Apr 16, 2011 10:33 PM

Sep 2008
neji64plms said:
narator91 said:
Annoying dead girl that looks like Index.

So that's why she looked familiar.

Wow there's some of great slice of life animes this season.
There's great anime this season in general. Not just the slice of life ones.
Apr 16, 2011 10:58 PM

Feb 2009
Beautiful episode, really surpassed my expectations.

Actually made me tear up a bit, something I can't remember ever doing during a first episode...
The character designs are lovely, the music (especially the ED) is memorable.

So much potential here, can't wait to see more.
Apr 16, 2011 11:43 PM

Nov 2007
bawled. broken friendships are always the saddest. :[
Apr 17, 2011 1:21 AM

Feb 2011
awesome 5/5 the OP and ED is great

looking forward to next episode
srwgfanApr 17, 2011 1:30 AM
Apr 17, 2011 1:28 AM

Sep 2010
pretty much good for a first episode.... looking forward to next one....
Apr 17, 2011 3:06 AM

Jan 2008
So that's it? That's the best you've got? This pile of generic crap and forced drama is the masterpiece of the season?

Damn, we used to have Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile, can't they make a show this good anymore or something?
Apr 17, 2011 4:04 AM

Apr 2010
Deep stuff.

I wonder how this show will end up it's to early to give a judgement about this but it was a pretty good first episode.
It shows something most of us can relate to since most of us probably don't see most have there childhood friends anymore, tho the dead girl part is something that i can't relate to.
This was very realistic and even made me realize that i don't have a single clue to what happened to lot's of people from my childhood, what they are currently doing whether there still alive and so on.
I ran in to a girl i knew from my childhood a year ago we didn't see each other in 8 years and it was nice talking to her again it's also nice to see how much things changed.
Apr 17, 2011 4:29 AM

Mar 2010
Woah.. my eyes got wet in the end. I really like it, such a deep story is what i need. I'ld really want to know how Jinchan could change back to that cheerful main characteristic person..

KeiranShikari said:
I forgot to mention did anyone else here Naruto's catchphrase in there? ~dattebayo

lol yes.
Apr 17, 2011 5:14 AM

Apr 2008
dxb_blackwolf said:
neckgripper said:
Yumekichi11 said:

About Anjo Naruko, my #3 favorite character right after Jinta and who could resist such a girl when she as such a pose in the following,

while the whole proof that she has her period kind of got intriguing but I guess it's to show that she has her mood swings due to that.

She wasn't on her period, that reddish cotton was to wipe off nail polish. I mean what girl leaves her period juice out on her table like that. Pretty disgusting don't you think?

xD lol I laughed hard at the period thing.

THIS. xDDD
Apr 17, 2011 8:42 AM

Jan 2008
This seems promising...and better than I expected. Another one to watch per week.
Apr 17, 2011 12:33 PM

Jun 2008
Wow. That was great!
Can't wait for the next episode!
Apr 17, 2011 1:55 PM

Nov 2010
MannyCalavera said:
So that's it? That's the best you've got? This pile of generic crap and forced drama is the masterpiece of the season?

Damn, we used to have Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile, can't they make a show this good anymore or something?

Calm down, it's only the first episode, don't compare episode that just been entering it's first step with great titles which already had multiple seasons.

Another good thing about this anime is it's rare to see a lot of people shed a tears in first episode. Maybe those who feel it's forced because they haven't relate themselves with the anime, due to many differentiations with their who can (environment of watching, personal belief&preferences, pasts, experience of watching anime, etc), and it's not their fault. Everything is relative, once again.

But the episode's score itself already proves that majority of people likes this. Hanasaku, Steins;Gate and this are competing the best anime of the season for me, but for now this hold the leading seat because this are more into drama and romance compared to other (plus similarity of atmosphere to KEY and other good dramas such as Toradora). Even a lot of people say KEY are rather forcing the drama but many others are still liking them :) )

But anything could happen in next episodes, and maybe something else could jump into best anime in this season, mine version. Spring is still at it's beginning, my friends.
Apr 17, 2011 2:59 PM
Oct 2007
This series has huge potential imho. This is a perfect first episode though depressing and my personal most anticipated show for this season so far.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2011 5:07 PM

Jun 2008
narator91 said:
Annoying dead girl that looks like Index. .

Hahaha! Thought the same.She acts too much like Index. Still better than her though.

I have to say am impress really. It was quite interesting and absorbing. Btw i liked the "bitch". She sexy and has character unlike the little Index clone. She like a dead stupid child. Oh! wait that's what she really is.Anyway al characters interesting except her really. The story could develop quite nice hope it has more than just trying to be depressing memories and meetings from start to end in trying to touch us.
Apr 17, 2011 9:21 PM

Nov 2008
Good beginning, like the story, it seems it will be a good slice of life anime.
Apr 17, 2011 9:27 PM

Apr 2008
Makes me angry that this isn't just a really long movie.

Having episodes doesn't suit this anime.
Apr 18, 2011 12:01 AM
Nov 2010
Good to be posting about one of the seasons most solid of pieces.

I've been personally hyping Anohana since I saw a picture of Menma, instantly recognizing Toradora!'s art style. Then I find out that most of TD!'s crew is in on this!? What greatness...

Anyway, the hype did not lead into a let down. Starting out steady was fine, slowly creeping into minor character introductions, and then a twist already! Yes!

First ep is first ep, but it reeled me in, so I can only hope it gets better.
Apr 18, 2011 12:27 AM

Jul 2008
wikipedia said:
A slice of life story is a category for a story that portrays a "cut-out" sequence of events in a character's life. It may or may not contain any plot progress and little character development, and often has no exposition, conflict, or dénouement, with an open ending. It usually tries to depict the everyday life of ordinary people, sometimes but rarely, with fantasy or science fiction elements involved

Sorry people, AnoHana is not a slice of life. Whoever did the genres is dead wrong. This is just Melodrama, albeit a good one.

Apr 18, 2011 12:51 AM

Apr 2010
dxthegreat said:
wikipedia said:
A slice of life story is a category for a story that portrays a "cut-out" sequence of events in a character's life. It may or may not contain any plot progress and little character development, and often has no exposition, conflict, or dénouement, with an open ending. It usually tries to depict the everyday life of ordinary people, sometimes but rarely, with fantasy or science fiction elements involved

Sorry people, AnoHana is not a slice of life. Whoever did the genres is dead wrong. This is just Melodrama, albeit a good one.
What you mean is not a slice of life.. i mean if you are guiding yourself from that source in Wikipedia then it is.. The anime definitely tells the story of that group of friends in a "cut-out" sequence of events adding as well a little of fantasy or science fiction "Honma." Even before watching the episode anyone should be able to tell this "IS" a slice of life =P
Apr 18, 2011 1:02 AM

Jul 2008
Slice of life is k-on, azumanga daioh, lucky star. Normal people going about normal business from which you derive amusement. Plot has little place in slice of life shows. The implication from the wikipedia definition is simply that. "cut out" standalone events taken out from a period of time in a persons life with little relevance to any other time (or each other, for that matter).
If you want to stubbornly argue against this on "technicalities" then I'm not going to bother.
Anohana gives a story and sees it through to the end. It is not typical of a normal person's everyday life. Anohana gives exposition, conflict, denouement and almost certainly will not leave an open ending (that is, it will resolve the story at hand, allowing the main characters to fulfil menma's wish of ... finding the name of some flower?) which is not typical of slice of life.

Apr 18, 2011 1:03 AM

Feb 2011
just rewatched it,this ED song is very familiar to me,i think i heard this before.love the song
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 23, 2011

1239 by Levi_la_paille »»
Jun 6, 11:48 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - May 26, 2011

231 by JayBlue »»
May 27, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2011

388 by Grimenio »»
May 14, 9:25 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 9, 2011

328 by Grimenio »»
May 8, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 2, 2011

423 by Grimenio »»
May 8, 5:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.