Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 15, 2023 11:42 AM

Feb 2012
Shinkai's commentary on the impact of the

halfway through, I was beginning to think Daijin was Suzume' s mother reincarnated hence jealous of Sato receiving affection, and by the end, worried it'd be a cyclic timeline.

lmao when Boston Dynamics spot popped up on the social networks.

Serizawa was playing plentiful Showa era music in his car including the songs from the Club Penguin PTSD anime and Kiki's delivery service.
Fortress_MaximusApr 15, 2023 1:55 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 15, 2023 12:37 PM

May 2020
Really enjoyed that

I think the scene at the end with Suzume and her younger self really made the movie and tied it all together nicely. 
Not just from a time loop perspective, but also in that it was nice to see a modern Shinkai movie where there are character arcs that aren't just all about the central romance, it made Suzume feel a lot more multi-faceted compared to the likes of Taki, Mitsuha, Hodoka or Hina. Easily the most emotional scene in the movie.

One thing though, where Tenki no Ko was playing Radwimps songs every 2 minutes, this movie had the opposite issue, there are some goddamn lovely songs on this OST. Shame to have them all play one by one in the credits rather than in the actual movie. But the score was also very nice, so that kinda made up for it.

Good stuff, will rewatch some time

Apr 15, 2023 1:41 PM
Apr 2022
Perfecta, sobre todo la parte visual y el ost.
Apr 15, 2023 1:48 PM
Mar 2018
No comment! Just captivating animation, fantastic mythical backstory and amazing story-telling! Could have added more a few more historical and cultural symbols Japanese legends but still...

Especially the ending where
probably resonates with each of us.

"No matter how sad you are now, you are going to grow up. So, don't worry! The future is not that scary.

Apr 15, 2023 4:23 PM
Jun 2020
Overall visually stunning, sound fx we’re on point which was really amazing in the theaters.
Like the sound details are INSANE, they bring so much life to the already amazing visuals. There was one scene where you can hear the bumps of the tires.

The music didn’t hit as hard as the last 2 films but it was still good, maybe makoto didn’t want to put too much attention on the music?

This is really just a straight forward story but nothing too complicated and confusing. A journey of a girl to deal with tragedy and sadness. I don’t mind a simple story.
Apr 15, 2023 8:14 PM

Jan 2022
For a Shinkai movie, it's... ugh... Let's just say its visuals carried so that it's a very good movie instead of a merely good one. That it's Howl's Moving Castle or Bubble but written by Shinkai post-2016 is the best summary I can make of it.

I watched it in English dub. The VAs are good for the most part. I felt the writing/dialogue let the voice acting down if I'll be very blunt. It's that atrocious for someone of the director's caliber. It may better serve the story if they kept the dialogue to a minimum and leaned instead on "show don't tell".

Edit 1:
Good points: Visuals, cinematography, humor
Bad points: Dialogue, pacing

Edit 2:
mo_laveApr 15, 2023 9:37 PM
Apr 15, 2023 10:12 PM

Feb 2014
I saw it today. I loved it! Great characters and interesting story. I thought it was better than weathering with you.
Apr 15, 2023 11:18 PM
Jun 2020
mo_lave said:
For a Shinkai movie, it's... ugh... Let's just say its visuals carried so that it's a very good movie instead of a merely good one. That it's Howl's Moving Castle or Bubble but written by Shinkai post-2016 is the best summary I can make of it.

I watched it in English dub. The VAs are good for the most part. I felt the writing/dialogue let the voice acting down if I'll be very blunt. It's that atrocious for someone of the director's caliber. It may better serve the story if they kept the dialogue to a minimum and leaned instead on "show don't tell".

Edit 1:
Good points: Visuals, cinematography, humor
Bad points: Dialogue, pacing

Edit 2:

1. No, he’s technically a god. A mischievous one, they don’t explain much.
Apr 16, 2023 1:07 AM

Nov 2021
Crunchimation strikes again. Nearly the whole entire movie Suzume's lip dubs were so noticeable. Mostly any of the cast, you could feel it be expressed from their bodies or at least be fine or serviceable. Still, it looks visually pleasing as the last 2 movies when looking back to one of his older films like 5 Peggies per Centimeter.

I also felt like the male love interest's voice hard carried out of the 3. But the supporting cast was solid.
NonAtmosphericApr 16, 2023 1:14 AM
Apr 16, 2023 8:46 AM
Aug 2020
I really enjoyed it and I think it’s my new favourite Shinkai movie. The stakes felt much bigger somehow this time than before.

The one criticism I’ll give is on the story’s handling of the cats, it feels clunky, especially with Sadaijin, as a lot doesn’t seem explained
Apr 16, 2023 11:31 AM

Oct 2009
This was wonderful. Makoto Shinkai and the whole team did great! =)
Apr 16, 2023 1:47 PM
Jan 2020
It tried to do a lot of things: fantasy, comedy, romance, coming-of-age. Considering that, it developed Suzume's personal growth and interpersonal relationships quite well while also incorporating the other aspects.
Though it's worth mentioning that it's not a groundbreakingly unique and gripping storyline.

Still, overall its quite an enjoyable and worthwhile watch.
Apr 16, 2023 3:31 PM

Feb 2021
This is, so far, my favorite movie directed by Makoto Shinkai. I love how all the action intertwined with the love story—a little bit of a coming of age, too. I teared up in the end.
Apr 16, 2023 7:02 PM
Aug 2015
I absolutely LOVED every second of this film. Watching it in the theater really elevated it for me. It's not Makoto Shinkai's best movie, but it's still phenomenal. I loved the character of Suzume. She's very charming and likable. The animation is stunning as to be expected from a Shinkai film. It has wonderful music and there's a scene at the end that made me tear up. Overall, it's fantastic and Makoto Shinkai makes another masterpiece thats very different than Your Name.

9.5/10
Apr 16, 2023 8:55 PM

Jul 2009
Finally watched Suzumu no Tojimari last night!

I think it was a great movie, but at the same time. It  recycle the same themes from his last two movies (Kimi ni no Nawa/Tenki no Ko).

I feel like that's one of the reasons why a lot of people are not liking it.
I still think it was a great movie when it comes to visuals (As usual).

I do hope Makoto Shinkai will experiment more for his next one!

Tenki no Ko is still my favorite work from him!! It will be a long time till it gets topped.

But, I'm glad the movie has sold extremely well (Overtook both Kimi ni no Nawa/Tenki no Ko even!), so they should have no problem funding their next project!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/03/27/suzume-passes-weathering-with-you-to-be-8th-highest-grossing-anime-film-in-japan

8/10!

Apr 17, 2023 2:26 AM
Jan 2019
I still enjoyed it and thought it was good but was left disappointed for a couple of reasons. I rewatched Weathering with you in cinemas a week before and rewatched your name for a second time a couple of hours before seeing Suzume. I cried in both despite having already watched them. I came into suzume IMAX ready to cry but I didn't come close.

Also, i never looked into it but i thought this was set in the same world as Your Name and WWY? If so then why was tokyo not filled with water and why was there no mention of the rain stopping etc etc. Also, I was hoping for the two MCs of WWY to make a cameo like the two from YN did in WWY. So, was this not a part of the same world?

Either way, it was good but very disappointing.
Apr 17, 2023 12:51 PM
May 2021
It was a nice experience. Would recommend!
Apr 17, 2023 2:32 PM

Feb 2014
I finally had time to catch Suzume in the cinemas here in the U.K. My mother was highly looking forward to it after liking Shinkai's previous works, Your Name and Weathering with You.

To keep a post as short and simple as possible, I really enjoyed it. Me and my mother watched it with the English Dub audio, as she would struggle to keep up with the subtitles otherwise. Either way, I felt that the dub performance was very solid and consistent overall. =)

The visuals was simply a masterpiece, though. Considering how gorgeous the production values Your Name and Weathering With You had, the staff at CoMix Wave Films really outdid themselves here with how beautiful the visuals were, the camera work and animation in both 2D and even the CGI, too. There was a lot to take in with the story, but as a whole, I think it worked out really well, from the odd comedic moments, to the more serious and sad parts of the film.

I think I'll settle with a 9/10 for now, which is a score that I'll probably stick to in the future.
Apr 17, 2023 3:47 PM
Aug 2021
Simply beautiful
Apr 17, 2023 4:09 PM

Apr 2012
Weird movie.

How magic was introduced was nice: with cats and bright lights and metamorphosis, that's how magic should be: a goofy inanimate object chasing after a feline divine herald. But then action gets in the way of magic. No problem since there's romance as well, right? But the action gets in the way of the romance too.

As the running away turns into a fugue, we grip at the main character expecting either the closure or the moving on promised by the title, but there again any form of introspection is delayed until the very end. Running away becomes the movie itself.

While constructing the movie around this gives off a certain shallowness that is reminiscent of Millenium Actress, here it manages to turn the instinctual fight-or-flight response into a single flight-and-fight one that more than anything anchors the movie into a coming of age story (while metaphorising quite well how teens usually overcome double-bind situations like being in the foster care of a relative).

And best of all the Radwimp boss kept the pop rock to a minimum.

Interesting movie.
EratiKApr 17, 2023 4:18 PM
Apr 17, 2023 5:26 PM
Mar 2015
Felt a lot like Spirited Away
Apr 17, 2023 6:20 PM
Apr 2023
welp this one was good fr gotta make some drama even better and i hope they make alot stuff like this like rlly soon enough
Apr 17, 2023 9:49 PM

Dec 2013
Man, this is probably the first Shinkai movie I disliked. it wasn't bad on any technical level, the animation and funny moments were spot on like his other films but I was able to call one of the big reveals pretty at the start of the film... not a bad thing but it kind of ruined the charm and surprise I would have had.

gonna sit on it some more but for now it's a 5/10 can't really recommend watching it more than once
Apr 18, 2023 2:17 AM

Feb 2014
My second Shinkai movie to watch in theaters (after Weathering with You) and it didn't disappoint. The visuals were top notch, the BGM resounding and the characters rather playful. Although it felt short regarding it was on whole journey from west to east. While his other movies focused on characters around the lead, this one solely focused on the leads.

Also is this still considered the third of trilogy? There does not seem to be any past character appearances in this one rather than the fact the MC's town felt nostalgic.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Apr 18, 2023 3:40 AM

Jun 2008
Looks beautiful. Sounds wonderful. Makes me feel that these resources could have been better invested in something with a better story and more worthwhile characters.
Apr 18, 2023 11:56 AM

Sep 2011
8-9. Was an enjoyable movie and it didn't really leave me bored when I was watching it in the cinema. The comedy parts that were done in the movie were really well placed and actually made me laugh. Production wise in terms of sound, animation, etc. is all top-notch just like the previous two movies.
Apr 18, 2023 12:34 PM

Dec 2015
Much better than Weathering with You, which was needed since that movie kinda made me doubt Shinkai. I love that this movie was a little more "action" than the previous two. In terms of OST, this is easily the best of Shinkai. Maybe only disappointment is the main track of the action scenes being repeated, but since it's an amazing track I was fine with it. Also liked that there was almost no lyrical song in this, since that would ruin the tone.

The plot is simple but captivating. Was scared it would be repetitive but after 40-50min the movie takes a turn and it's focused in one thing. The main emotional impact comes from the use of real life events and I loved it.

Watching this on Imax was worth it and it made me dream that in an ideal world, we would have gotten SNK Final Season Part 3 as a 2h30min movie released worldwide in the same day. But I guess I'd be happy only to see more anime movies on Imax before they are released on Bluray
Apr 18, 2023 12:37 PM

Apr 2020
Beautiful visuals as always from Shinkai's movies.
But from the ones I've seen this one is the weakest storywise.
It's still a good watch.
7/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Apr 18, 2023 1:08 PM

Nov 2013
First Shinkai movie I saw in theatre. Positive impression NGL. IMO still not even close to beating "your name" but certainly an improvement when compared to "weathering with you" - IMO "weathering..." was the weakest of his works. 

Romance made 0 sense here, but apart from that it was a pretty entertaining and exciting journey.

I suppose the anime will be more emotional for the Japanese, considering it touches topics such as devastating Tohoku earthquake, as well as towns, villages, amusement parks being abandoned. 

xD Shinkai is cursing Tokyo hard though, lol. Flood, major earthquake, what's next - nuke?
Apr 18, 2023 6:38 PM

Dec 2015
Today I went to the movie theater to watch this movie and it was awesome!
Apr 18, 2023 11:55 PM

Aug 2018
First time seeing a Shinkai movie in theaters. Damn it was good af and looked beautiful, and even my friend who doesn't even watch anime thought it was great. Also I did not expect to hear the song from the Karekano ed on that radio--pretty cool and random because I just started that show lol.

Stands with Your Name and Weathering with you for sure imo. And if I understood the plot correctly, then man I feel bad for the kitty :(
Apr 19, 2023 2:42 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
While I found Suzume to be the weakest lead character among the three recent Shinkai films, and I wasn't particularly keen on a lot of the yelling Souta's name, I understand that the story is about her overcoming trauma which she had kept locked. In my opinion, I think this was done very well. I cried buckets at the end when Suzume talked to her child self who had just lost her mother and was looking for her. The grief of losing someone and having to continue on without that person was really well done and something I could connect with. And really, just the fact that it was a young child in all her desperation to look for her mother who is gone is enough to make me cry. And particularly when Suzume tells her younger self that she will grow up and things will turn out okay, that really home.

Daijin was a really interesting character. It seemed ambiguous whether it was an antagonist or not, but when Daijin became all emaciated because Suzume said she did not like it, I couldn't help but cry. Daijin's personality was very child-like, it wanted to be loved and it wanted to play. It never asked to be a keystone, locked for all of eternity, and when Daijin was released, it enjoyed its freedom. In the end, Daijin knew that Souta was more important to Suzume than itself, so it became the keystone again. I also found it interesting that Suzume asked Daijin, "Do you want to become my cat?" Which I think we're suppose to connect with when Tamaki asks Suzume, "Do you want to be my daughter?" (iirc, or maybe it was "to live with me"). The significance of this line is that it comes with responsibilities. You sacrifice some things when you take care of another, such as freedom, and there are some times when you may even feel annoyance–whether if you think your cat is acting out, or if you realize your time or youth is being taken away. Shinkai had said in a few of his Suzume interviews that he felt that Tamaki was the most relatable character to him. I'm glad he portrayed such a relationship between Suzume and Tamaki, and it was heartwarming to see them make up. (LOL at Serizawa playing the "Stop Fighting (けんかをやめて)" song in the car though)

The themes of depopulation, abandonment, and natural disaster, particularly 3/11, was an incredibly emotional one. Even though I didn't personally experience it, it's still incredibly sad what happened, and when you, as the audience, hear all the voices and see all the families saying the daily "ittekimasu" and "itterasshai" to each other, knowing that they might never seen each other again. Additionally, the scenery of the area after the disaster could be beautiful to some (Serizawa), but terrible to others who experienced it and were directly affected by it (Suzume). Related, but this was an interesting insight on the places Shinkai chose for Suzume and Souta to close doors at:

I also remember checking Twitter the day the movie came out in Japan, and I saw a lot of people saying that the earthquake alarms and 3/11 was really haunting to them (even though it the movie's alarm sounds were completely original as to not actually alarm the audience), or it reminded them of the trauma of the natural disaster. But I think even without that knowledge, or connecting the events of the movie to reality, one can really relate to the theme of loss and moving on in the movie.

Also interesting to read that Shinkai "wanted to tell a story about grieving over these places. When a person passes away a funeral is held for them, yet when people leave and regions become abandoned, there are no ceremonies to commemorate the loss." (Source: Animation Magazine).

Lastly, I wanted to briefly mention the relationship between Suzume and Souta. While the first meeting between the two seemed to prepare you for a romance between them, I think ultimately, that's not the case. She did kiss him to wake him up once as chair, but the obvious age difference aside, the last line of the movie, Suzume saying "okaerinasai (welcome home)" to Souta signifies to me that they are important to each other like family. Of course you also say that to your partner if you live together, but in this case, where it is unclear if Souta romantically loves her, as well as the importance of family to Suzume (her mother and aunt), it fits much better for that to be meant in a familial way rather than romantic. It's also incredibly wholesome to think of the ending that way as well.

Now that I think about it...the door has multiple meanings, closing doors to give closure on things before moving on and opening new doors, and it's a symbol of everyday life, a place where people say "ittekimasu/itterasshai/tadaima/okaeri."
Apr 19, 2023 10:20 AM
Sep 2020
Well tho less screen time, we meet him.

He who kept the mood lifted... He who was owed the return of what he owed summarisingly wanted to be forgotten.

A friend in each story, a friend with no back story.
Apr 19, 2023 4:03 PM

Oct 2008
Honestly, I really can't see how Suzume is a better film than Weathering With You, let alone Your Name. The character dynamics are the weakest, the romance is the least believable, the side characters are forgettable and unimportant, everything happens for no rhyme or reason (most of what happens is thanks to the whims of Daijin as opposed to the actions of the characters), the doors and having to close them feel more like a plot device to get the characters moving from one point to another than anything else, and there really isn't any serious consequence to any of their actions (everything goes back to status quo at the end). 

Here, it felt like there were the least personal stakes out of all three movies, and they didn't connect very well to the wider external stakes either. In a direct comparison to Weathering With You, Hodoka and Hina's relationship was built up over the course of the entire movie, and we get why Hodoka wants to get Hina back so desperately. In Suzume, the latter half of the movie really fell flat because of the lack of that initial build-up. More importantly, in Weathering With You, they literally screwed up the entirety of Tokyo and countless lives in order to get back together. Not only is that a refreshingly ballsy decision, allowing the audience to ponder if they made the right choice or not, but their actions also had consequences. Suzume was like if Weathering With You allowed Hodaka and Hina to get back together and have Tokyo somehow have amazing weather as well.

Yes, I agree that the film did a good job of showing Suzume overcoming her past trauma, her relationship with her aunt, and the effects and impacts of natural disasters. However, I felt like everything else was sacrificed just for that. A much smaller and more personal movie might have been able to do just as good of a job, if not better. My opinion might change on a rewatch and further analysis, but that's my current opinion.
Apr 19, 2023 10:06 PM

Aug 2018
Suzume no Tojimari
I finally saw it.
What a beautiful movie, I loved it. It was very entertaining, very beautiful and the animation is TOO AMAZING.
Very good.

Apr 20, 2023 5:10 AM
Sep 2020
gorgeous as always from makoto shinkai
Apr 20, 2023 5:26 AM

Feb 2021
Just a random thought that's been bugging me since finished watching the movie last night.. Isn't the chair a paradox on itself then? Like, how did it lose a leg then? If "Present" Suzume have no recollection on why it has three legs, and "future" Suzume gave it already three-legged to "past" Suzume, isn't the giving and receiving of past and future selves make it a "perfect" loop in which then that makes it an object without an origin? I might need to give it another watch just in case maybe.
"The sun rises today and sets again. A flower that bloomed in the morning, falls from its stem. The sun sets today and rises again. Flowers bloom to fill the land, but not the flowers of yesterday..."

Apr 20, 2023 5:41 PM

May 2016
why are the top reviews not recommended and mixed when this has a 8.5 lmfao
Apr 20, 2023 6:08 PM

Jul 2017
Movie felt like a mess for me, and didn't have any sort of entertainment or interest value that even Weathering with You did ironically to make up for the mess. Visually one of the least impressive movies I've seen from Shinkai, makes me actually miss the earlier showings like Garden of Words which I really loved back in the day. This looked more flat, had some awkward CG that was noticeable easily while in the theatre and overall, the presentation felt lacking. I feel like the themes that the movie was tackling sound interesting on paper, but are a lot for a 2 hour film which resulted in sacrifices and a messier story overall in the process. Some of the people that Suzume met along the way in her long journey were kinda dope but had very short roles and only returned with the ED, and Serizawa too.
Apr 20, 2023 6:44 PM

Oct 2016
It was good, but definitely not one of my favorites of his. Was anyone else confused by the cat? Why was it so chill with people dying wholesale, then one 10 second fight with the other cat made it behave?
Apr 20, 2023 8:41 PM

Jun 2012
Kind of dragged towards the middle but I really enjoyed it. I'd put it behind Your Name but in front of Weathering With You. 
Apr 21, 2023 4:31 AM
Oct 2021
Just watched the movie(these things take an eternity to come to India, if at all), so haven't had much time to think, but it was really great, and was also my first time watching an anime film in theaters, and I am glad it was this one. Been waiting for 3 years, after watching Kimi no Nawa, and it was well worth it. It had great animation(as always), story was a bit rushed but that added a nice feel to it,but sadly the soundtrack was just not up to par with either of tenki no ko or yn.Also, the visuals of travelling across Japan were stunning. Overall, it was a great experience, and I really hope Shinkai keeps up the great work. And that's it for the next couple of years I guess :)
Apr 21, 2023 8:52 AM

Nov 2021
This is the 2nd anime movie I've ever seen in a theater.
Really enjoyed the experience! q(≧▽≦q) 
Apr 21, 2023 10:35 AM
Mar 2021
The first half was a bit ok. 2nd half was amazing. Even amazing wouldn't be enough to describe how good was it. Its 8/10 for me. I really had higher expectations from the movie. It did justice to my expectations to some extent. I dont think this is director's beat work. But as usual it's easy to follow and beautiful for the eyes.
Apr 21, 2023 10:39 AM
Mar 2021
Idk the only negative abt this film is that I didn't find anything new.💀. Otherwise I would give it a 10/10 just like your name and WEATHERING with you(my fav shinkai movie)
Apr 21, 2023 10:45 AM
Mar 2021
The development of romance sub plot was weird and unnecessary to be honest. Something was bothering me abt this movie . I think the needless romance is the reason. 💀.
Apr 21, 2023 10:48 AM
Mar 2021
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
why are the top reviews not recommended and mixed when this has a 8.5 lmfao
so for all the same reviews are recommended? I got the mixed and not recommended reviews. Well tbh some points are very much true but giving it a 2/10 or 3/10 is hilarious. The animation itself gets the anime a 7/10. Story wise its average tho.
Apr 21, 2023 11:09 AM

Jan 2021
I saw it in the cinema's today and wow, It was truly an incredible experience for me, I have loved Shinkai movies before and he delivered once again.

I love how Suzume is so determined and caring to help Souta with closing the doors for the curse that wanders Japan. The movie itself even had some funny parts in it, like when Chika was crying and Souta was a chair and everyone looked at them like "what is going on?" lol. I must admit that i didn't like Daijin at first because i thought that he was the villain but he only tried to guide Souta & Suzume towards the doors that needed to be closed. The ending was beautiful imo and i loved it. I admit that even the children were quite funny when Suzume was in their home, caring for them. Suzume took a big role in her to save the world, otherwise many people could've died if the worm fell down, and the scene where Suzume rescues Souta was truly heartwarming.

Also Makoto Shinkai knows how to make his movies beautiful, whether its scenery or animation, he truly nails it and i appreciate his work fully, also huge respect to Makoto Shinkai's team who made this incredible movie and plot.
__andre__Apr 21, 2023 11:13 AM
Apr 21, 2023 3:55 PM
Aug 2017
I finally watched this movie yesterday and while it was amazing and I enjoyed it..I feel like it's also full of plotholes and left alot of things not explored.
Apr 21, 2023 7:34 PM
May 2021
ShadowkillZ_ said:
I've just watched this in the cinema, it was phenomenal. I mean damn, I remembered watching Kimi no Na Wa on a laptop many years ago, Suzume is the first Makoto Shinkai movie that I watched at the cinema and my God... It's absolutely fantastic. 

The first thing first that always catches your eye in a Makoto Shinkai movie is his art style which is complimented by jaw-dropping visuals. From the character movements to the scenery in which many actions took place. This movie in particular really took that to its advantage, with a vibrant variety of backdrop from the village, to the coastlines, the sea, the mountains, and the city. Damn. Though let me stop myself. There's nothing more boldly apparent when watching this in the cinema other than the sound. Ahh yes, the sound effects with that heavy bass when the worms appear were thrilling, and ofc let's not forget all the OST, What can I say... Loved it. Especially the Suzume no Tomari song that played near the end of the movie, magical.

Alright, the number 1 thing that I appreciate about this movie is the amount of adventure it has. Seeing Suzume travel with Souta was fun, the people she met along the way, the scenery and landscapes she saw, and the events that lead her closer and closer to rediscovering her past. That was all a blast to watch. A trip throughout Japan in search of an annoying cat, and then a road trip back while jamming to a variety of pop songs. Man, I'd love to actually do all that. Without having to fight the worms ofc. Having Suzume briefly stop somewhere before continuing her journey made the paths she left behind feel real. Though that's the problem isn't it... It's brief. 
Although the movie is 2 hours long, it doesn't feel like it. That's good, but also bad. I felt as though due to the fact that things happen so quickly, there's not enough time for the audience to hold a stronger sentimental attachment. The side characters that appeared were charming, but only so much. As a comparison, let's take Suzume's classmates, they were there, and they weren't there. I wished there was more continuity. Even the relationship between Souta and Suzume was not polished or as well constructed, as I will mention later on. The whole supernatural aspect of the movie was cool but I feel that they do not really connect much to Suzume aside from the world beyond the doors. The worms itself is of no significant personal reason (aside maybe for the implication that it caused her mother's) Suzume really only stops the worms simply because people dying = bad. So in that sense, well that's that.

There was a lot less direct romance that we saw in this movie between Suzume and Souta. Although we do have a fair amount of touching moments such as when Suzume cried out for Souta to save him, as I said. The romance is not directly apparent. Mainly because of their age difference. One is 16 and the other is at least 21. POSITIVELY... The fact that there's less romance involved means that Suzume's character has the opportunity to shine.

Suzume's character progression in this story is a girl who eventually made peace with her tragic past. Losing both her home and mother to the Tohoku earthquake was traumatic to the point that her memories are locked behind the back of her mind. The events of this movie forced her to directly face her past, LITERALLY. That plot twist where it turned out that Suzume herself was the woman she saw in that world was already foreshadowed when it's mentioned that in this world, all times are conjoined. The end where she saved both Souta and herself made me teared up a little. Her smile when locking the door of the past was the definition of relief and satisfaction. Everyone should be able to do something like this in their life.

A heartwarming movie about self-rediscovery and facing your past to put a past conflict to rest. A homage to the tragedy from 2011. And above all...
The message that one's life is precious and should be held on to dearly was thought-provoking. Hearing Souta and Suzume scream that they're scared or that they do not want to die, shattering any bravado and revealing their most humane of emotions really touched my heart. Thank you for the movie. I'm so happy to be alive.

You should put this up as a review as it echoed my thoughts to the tee. It’s hard to write one without spoilers but the others look like unsubstantiated hate.

I guess I’m used to expecting a good romance and character development in his movies. The plot was fine but it left me asking for more. Especially in the first half the constant panicc moments left me a bit overwhelmed.

Overall a solid 8.5/10 in terms of how much I enjoyed it but people should temper their expectations before going to the cinemas. This was the first Shinkai movie I saw on the big screen and it definitely elevates the enjoyment factor especially with all the action and smooth animation in this one.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Feet and shoes in the film

trvekvlt666 - May 19

20 by Casualfanofanime »»
Yesterday, 2:38 PM

» Remake of weathering with you? ( 1 2 )

Hickykissy - May 1

51 by Zoopiez »»
May 19, 8:06 PM

» Makoto Shinka cannot write plausible human relationships

MyllerPhiem - Apr 8

42 by BroodEagle »»
May 11, 3:37 PM

Poll: » Next natural disaster?

mechian - Apr 15, 2023

6 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:55 PM

» Serizawa's car and his playlist

kintups - Mar 10, 2023

16 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.