Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
SHAMAN KING
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 2, 2021 6:13 PM
Jun 2017
One of my childhood days anime is back and its a nice episode for me
Apr 2, 2021 6:34 PM
Jul 2019
I didn't watch the original but I heard a lot about it and the games. I found the episode quite good, though I won't lie, didn't care that much about the backstory of the Samurai, but the premise is just great and the pacing was fast.
Apr 2, 2021 6:42 PM
Jul 2019
I see a lot of complaints about the pacing, but I didn't think it damaged this episode as it's supposed to be just an introduction to the main character's power and nothing more. It was fast, but I didn't feel it rushed any important events or crucial plot points. The story didn't really start.

This being an issue or not will appear in the next few episodes.
Apr 2, 2021 7:08 PM
Feb 2020
I don't know how to feel about this episode, it looks OK but very rushed
Apr 2, 2021 7:16 PM

Mar 2016
It was just okay, to be honest.

I don't really remember how chapter 1 played out, but it felt kinda abridged to me. Didn't really draw me in to the SK feeling of the manga I remember, but we'll give it more time.

It was a pretty eh episode 1 in general, compared to how most others start.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Apr 2, 2021 7:32 PM

Mar 2016
The "bot" comments are annoying too. Funny how no one thinks that when most episodes (even undeserving) of animes get mostly 5s.

Did it occur to anyone that a lot of people were let down, and not everyone who voted commented? Get over the fact that not everyone will view it with such nostalgic goggles as the rest of you.

I didn't outright hate it, but I was pretty disappointed too, to be honest.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but it's such a copout response to immediately blame everything on "bots". Why do you care about poll results anyway? Does it impact your views at all? Who cares?
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Apr 2, 2021 7:56 PM

Jul 2016
Kinda rushed but still a nice start overall. Honestly, I only remember my little self having a huge crush on Anna and thinking Yoh's character design looked super chill so this will be pretty much like watching a whole new series.

This said, looking forward to seeing how things will go with this remake.
Apr 2, 2021 8:10 PM
Mar 2021
One of my all time favourite animes, Gen-Z-nified... - all was okay until the spirit of fire spoke. But seriously, vocaloid for the outro song??? how could they do such an injustice to the epitome of "cool", this is literally appalling and insulting to the fans of the original.

The characters have been, as one may have deduced from the teaser image and further promotional art, what I would describe as, chibi-fied to an extent. I understand that this is supposed to be a remake and since so far they are sticking to the original story, I would assume that the only changes would be the art style and with it the target audience. I just don't believe that there is a point to doing such a disservice to the series, but I hope the team behind it understands the market more than myself and that all of this, somehow contributes to the betterment of the franchise in some capacity.

I plan on watching at least 4 more episodes to see how it'll go and how I'll feel about it but the first episode has left me with a big foul taste of treason in my mouth, even if that's true only subjectively. As a person who seems to always pleasant memories out of experiences I'll have to find out if the same will apply here as well. If things don't pan out I will revisit the OG series in the future to fill the space that came about for this remake and which has failed to be filled in as of now.

that outro's got me real bothered still.. what a distasteful move...

Edit: 01.03.2024 for clarity
mugashisenFeb 29, 5:30 PM
Apr 2, 2021 8:13 PM

Oct 2015
Super damn solid first episode. The pacing is tight and satisfying. The classic shounen jump feel is there, and the art and animation are consistent. I also dig the character designs quite a lot, Asakura Yo is a dope MC.

For a 52 episode series, if it keeps up these strong points, this'll be one epic shounen by the end. I'll thoroughly enjoy this ride.
Apr 2, 2021 8:42 PM

Apr 2020
Good episode but it did feel like a slap in the face with the pacing as someone who hasn't seen neither the original anime nor read the manga. I will for sure watch the original anime to help relieve that fast pacing. Excited to see where this show goes.
Apr 2, 2021 8:43 PM

Mar 2012
Liked it overall but I don't get the point of spoiling Hao and the spirit of fire so soon but ok
Apr 2, 2021 9:05 PM

Aug 2011
CrimsonCW said:
The "bot" comments are annoying too. Funny how no one thinks that when most episodes (even undeserving) of animes get mostly 5s.

Did it occur to anyone that a lot of people were let down, and not everyone who voted commented? Get over the fact that not everyone will view it with such nostalgic goggles as the rest of you.

I didn't outright hate it, but I was pretty disappointed too, to be honest.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but it's such a copout response to immediately blame everything on "bots". Why do you care about poll results anyway? Does it impact your views at all? Who cares?

Sure, some people may disappointed with first episode and rated it 1/5, but it's true there have been complaints about bot-generated votes. FYI I mean just look at new shows this season like Mars Red, Shakunetsu Kabaddi, Koi to Yobu ni wa Kimochi Warui... and see poll results for the first episode. How many people even watch these shows? And somehow they have like 400,700x 1/5 votes? Like make it make sense.
Yes, not many care about these polls and such but some may do, so I'm just putting info out there for people who want to know.
Apr 2, 2021 9:15 PM
Oct 2018
classic Shaman King and Original Seiyuu are back since in the 1st Shaman king in 2004.Finaly is back to iconic anime return
Apr 2, 2021 10:01 PM
Feb 2020
Khesmatic said:

I don't really remember manga, but I'dk why they change the order of things happening and if they skip something.I felt that it happened this episode and people said so, I dont like it.Still, the episode is good.I think I just want the exact same thing adapted^^

I would MUCH pprefer them to just adapt the show panel by panel aswell. But if you have 52 episodes to cover 300 chapters, that is not possible.

Episode 1 was done really well as the way it was restructured somewhat makes up for the chapters they won't adapt in episode 2.

But as much as I am willing to stick around with this animation, I'll certainly complain to director Furuta after every upcoming episode.

Like look at what is in store for us :
ep 2 - fight
ep 3 - another fight
ep4 - yet a different fight
ep 5 - oh look a fight.

that's all the episode titles we know for now, but going by the manga
ep 6 - differnt fight again
ep 7 - a fight?!

Considering that the entire point of Shaman King is that it is about dialogue and not about the fights... I have trouble believing this next set of episodes will be able to convey that. All we can hope for is that again, these will be restructured in a way that covers for the cut content.
Also right away let's say this EP 4 is going to be godawfull. there is no way to cram it into 20 minutes no matter what magic you use. So when we get there we'll know what the worst of the series is going to look like
Apr 2, 2021 10:06 PM
Jan 2019
The episode is following really close to the original, it may seem fast to new fans but it’s not really that big of a jump. Overall, it’s being supervised and the fact we are getting 52 episodes means things can go really well. This is one of my alt time favorites so I am happy to know it’s remake is alive. 10/10
Apr 2, 2021 10:30 PM
Jun 2013
>First episode adapted just 2 chapters of the manga

>Calling it rushed

Are people here on something or i'm the crazy one because some are talking about the 1st episode adapting 5+ chapters and IT DIDN'T! the only thing they did is change the last seconds with the mysterious character, he was teased in the end of chapter 5, but the rest was chapter 1 and 2, not 5 chapters, it was pretty much a regular adaptation, also, its a ADAPTATION of a old series with 300 chapters, it will not be a control c + v of the manga, it shouldn't be that hard to understand, and you can notice Takei is involved with the adaptation because everything that was important to the plot was there, the adaptation is very direct to the point.
Shinuki_n_RebornApr 2, 2021 10:40 PM
Apr 2, 2021 10:49 PM

Feb 2017
It's nice to see this getting another adaptation.
Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts.
Apr 2, 2021 11:05 PM

Oct 2016
Pretty good start, though it did feel a little fast paced in the beginning, but it slowed down just right in the latter part of the episode. Didn't watch the original so I don't know shit about this, I can definitely feel that classic shounen vibes though.

I already like Yoh and Amidamaru, Yoh seems like a pretty good mc with his chill personality. The twin brother seems like the main villain, or probably more like it's the fire spirit possessing the brother. Well, looking forward to the next episode, sucks that it's stuck in Netflix jail.
Apr 2, 2021 11:16 PM

Apr 2013
was a big fan of the original anime + manga as a kid so rly wanted to fall in love w the remake too.

did not like the opening LOL considering the contents of the story, the original anime did a good job of giving it an angsty feel but new one feels bland and generic.
otherwise, first ep's pacing does feel rushed. so many things happened all at once, which granted is the only thing u can do when u condense 300 chapters into 52 episodes i guess. just hope the rest of the anime has more breathing room and doesn't feel like i'm watching something on 1.25x speed.

i adore yoh + anna's personalities though, so i'll just suck it up n keep watching.
sutoriApr 2, 2021 11:20 PM
Apr 2, 2021 11:44 PM
Aug 2019
The pacing is abit rush ,theres some changes in the story ..for me if they going to change in this way,the first shaman king is still the best to watch ....i cant imagine how they will cram all 64episodes into 52episodes....however the anime art is great .....if ask me whether this is recommend to watch i would say no unless u just enjoy the artwork of the show ......(this latest one for how it present like literally all had been set up ....like it should be happen in that way so i dont think its as thriling as before ,even the opening still the first one is better than this .Besides i just dont understand why want to change the origin of the anime story i seriously dont get it 😕
FiolinaAnderson9Apr 2, 2021 11:48 PM
Apr 3, 2021 12:13 AM

Aug 2015
is this a jojo reference
Apr 3, 2021 1:06 AM
Feb 2020
FiolinaAnderson9 said:
i cant imagine how they will cram all 64episodes into 52episodes....

Ah, but you see, you misunderstand. They are not putting 64 episodes into 52. The plot of this anime goes 3 times further into the story than the old anime did, and it still only has 52 episodes ^^'
Apr 3, 2021 1:31 AM
Jul 2019
Let's go! I remember watching this as a kid. I didn't understand what was going on back then but I remember it being fun to watch. Let's see how it fares up. So far, the pacing feels rushed. They crammed too many things in this episode for me to understand. Not a good start in my opinion, hope it gets better along the way.
Apr 3, 2021 1:48 AM

Feb 2019
Brooo the Ed and OP are nostalgic as fuck. I still can’t believe we got more shaman king after 20 years man. My first time watching in Japanese so I miss the 4Kids dub, but I’ll get used to it. The visuals and animation are solid af. I can’t wait until we really get going. Bridge, please don’t fumble this
Apr 3, 2021 1:53 AM
Sep 2015
You can tell this reboot preserve its oldschoolness by allowing student that wore shirt in a shirtless style to attend the class.

But I really want this reboot to modernize the year to 2021, that way, You's headphone without wire can properly become Bluetooth headphone.

But the author insist that everything should be exactly the same as manga, and retaining voice from the old anime adaptation as many as possible. He's being too picky!

With that said, is it time for Zatch Bell! reboot too?
Apr 3, 2021 2:41 AM
Mar 2016
RayReynolds said:
It's certainly an obnoxious Jump action show. Maybe it's a little unfair to bag on it for being cliche when it's a reboot of series old enough to have helped write the cliches in the first place, but when people set out to make a new Spiderman or Iron Man, the thing in the forefront of their minds is never "I really, really need to invoke the aesthetics of how corny the 90s were. Bonus points for any racism of the time I can work in." But could at least impress on the action front. It could, but doesn't. Not that it's embarrassingly poorly animated or full of blobs of faceless people in the background or anything like that. It just does action by the standard loud grunts, speedline shot, slow motion with speedlines while the peanut gallery narrates over it, and then the fight just ends. Expect no choreography or style, 'cause you ain't getting it.

One of these days, one of these Jump adaptations will take the Galaxy Angel or Milky Holmes route and go off into bonkersville. It'll be glorious, and I'll love to see it. Every season, I prod at them, hoping against hope that this time will be the one. I can't even personally tell you if this is truly more true to the original than the twenty year old first go round or not, which I assume is supposed to be the draw here. If this is a 'better' version, I think watching the original would only depress me.

I'd like to recommend the manga if you'd like to get a better understanding of what this series is about because this manga actually broke quite a few shounen tropes.

Overall I like everyone else find the story moves a bit quicker but I was still able to keep track of everything. You can't always have a perfect first episode. Hikasa Youko does a really good job matching Satou Yuuko's Yoh, I think by the third or fourth episode nobody will be able to tell the difference. And I hope the team will restructure their pacing, keyword being "hope".

Man these bots are really raining on our parade.
Apr 3, 2021 2:54 AM

Nov 2018
phantomfandom said:

With that said, is it time for Zatch Bell! reboot too?

Man, I'd totally love it! I remember watching it on TV back in 2013 in hindi dub on Sonic.
यदा यदा हि धर्मस्य ग्लानिर्भवति भारत।
अभ्युत्थानमधर्मस्य तदात्मानं सृजाम्यहम् ॥४-७॥

परित्राणाय साधूनां विनाशाय च दुष्कृताम् ।
धर्मसंस्थापनार्थाय सम्भवामि युगे युगे ॥४-८॥
Apr 3, 2021 7:00 AM
Jul 2018
The opening sounds so classic yet so modern at the same time.

Love the concept of Spirit Unity. And that the cool Amidamaru, both the 2001 version and current one, is voiced by the same VA who has done Kamina, Hisagi Shuuhei, Ginyu, Laxus, Jonathan Joestar and Diavolo.

I'm new to this franchise (though I have known about Shaman King Manga for years) but I've got a feeling that it's going to be a fruitful journey!
Apr 3, 2021 7:43 AM
Jan 2019
Shinuki_n_Reborn said:

>Calling it rushed

Are people here on something or i'm the crazy one because some are talking about the 1st episode adapting 5+ chapters and IT DIDN'T! the only thing they did is change the last seconds with the mysterious character, he was teased in the end of chapter 5, but the rest was chapter 1 and 2, not 5 chapters, it was pretty much a regular adaptation, also, its a ADAPTATION of a old series with 300 chapters, it will not be a control c + v of the manga, it shouldn't be that hard to understand, and you can notice Takei is involved with the adaptation because everything that was important to the plot was there, the adaptation is very direct to the point.

- Hao and Yoh birth was added extra from further chapters
- chapter 1 is longer so you can count it alone for 2 chapters
- chapter 2 was rearranged completely and speedrunned cutting out half the stuff like Yoh's strong belief in Amidamaru being a good person instead of a demon like majority (including Manta) thought which is important af for Yoh's character and understanding for their later bond with Amidamaru. So hell yeah the episode was rushed and even tho first chapter is just fast paced shit, second one is straight butchered...
Apr 3, 2021 8:47 AM

Oct 2009
Not teary-eyed at all... nope, nuh-uh... far as I can remember, the first anime ever I dug up to watch waaay back in time. So seeing it getting a remake, and hearing some of the original voices even, and already even getting a glimpse of one of my absolute favourite characters-... oh, man. :')

Having said all that, I'm extremely pissed off that the one anime I've really been looking forward to for months is not being simulcast. Really brought back all sides of nostalgia, didn't it, having to wait for fansubs and then trying to guess which one's even worth the time... Thank you to all the fansubbers out there, for sure, but as far as Netflix goes, this is really a kick in the teeth to all non-JP fans.
Apr 3, 2021 8:55 AM

Jul 2009
junek50 said:
Shinuki_n_Reborn said:

>Calling it rushed

- Hao and Yoh birth was added extra from further chapters
- chapter 1 is longer so you can count it alone for 2 chapters
- chapter 2 was rearranged completely and speedrunned cutting out half the stuff like Yoh's strong belief in Amidamaru being a good person instead of a demon like majority (including Manta) thought which is important af for Yoh's character and understanding for their later bond with Amidamaru. So hell yeah the episode was rushed and even tho first chapter is just fast paced shit, second one is straight butchered...

Agree, I hate how they butchered Yoh and Amidamaru's relationship. In the OG (both the manga and the anime) Manta was screaming at Yoh to not even talk to Amidamaru because he's a dangerous killer, while Yoh insisted that he must be a good spirit, because he felt warm when he was in his body. It was shown that trust is a very important part of his character and it helped to understand his friendship with Amidamaru. Here is like he didn't even give a damn if the was a good person and if the legend about him was true or not, and all he cared about was bringing him Harusame so that he could leave the cemetery and go with him lol. It's so unnatural, no feelings and no proper character development, just things happening because the plot demands it.
Apr 3, 2021 9:07 AM
Nov 2010
ame-furi said:
In the OG (both the manga and the anime) Manta was screaming at Yoh to not even talk to Amidamaru because he's a dangerous killer, while Yoh insisted that he must be a good spirit, because he felt warm when he was in his body. It was shown that trust is a very important part of his character and it helped to understand his friendship with Amidamaru. Here is like he didn't even give a damn if the was a good person and if the legend about him was true or not, and all he cared about was bringing him Harusame so that he could leave the cemetery and go with him lol.

Um, Yoh did mention in this episode that he felt warm when Amidamaru was in his body...
Apr 3, 2021 9:13 AM

Mar 2016
Shinuki_n_Reborn said:

>Calling it rushed

I don't know if it was the first anime that added more stuff to Amidamaru then, because I gotta say that part felt rushed beyond belief, to the point I couldn't feel anything.

I haven't read the manga for awhile, so maybe I'll go back and check them out to be sure, but it felt so.... stock shonen and know the manga was anything but that.

Apr 3, 2021 9:34 AM

Jul 2009
eplipswich said:
ame-furi said:
In the OG (both the manga and the anime) Manta was screaming at Yoh to not even talk to Amidamaru because he's a dangerous killer, while Yoh insisted that he must be a good spirit, because he felt warm when he was in his body. It was shown that trust is a very important part of his character and it helped to understand his friendship with Amidamaru. Here is like he didn't even give a damn if the was a good person and if the legend about him was true or not, and all he cared about was bringing him Harusame so that he could leave the cemetery and go with him lol.

Um, Yoh did mention in this episode that he felt warm when Amidamaru was in his body...

He did, but it didn't leave the same impact. It wasn't even explained why he felt warm and what exactly it means to him, it was like "yeah I felt warm, let's be partners." And I know that we can guess, or some of us already know what it means, but it doesn't feel believable. It rather feels as if the story forces them to get to know each other and become friends, "yeah whatever, let's get this over with." I know those characters, I know they're going to be friends but I'm unable to connect with them because the plot is so rushed.
Apr 3, 2021 9:43 AM

Mar 2016
ame-furi said:
eplipswich said:

He did, but it didn't leave the same impact. It wasn't even explained why he felt warm and what exactly it means to him, it was like "yeah I felt warm, let's be partners." And I know that we can guess, or some of us already know what it means, but it doesn't feel believable. It rather feels as if the story forces them to get to know each other and become friends, "yeah whatever, let's get this over with." I know those characters, I know they're going to be friends but I'm unable to connect with them because the plot is so rushed.

I just went back to chapter 1 and 2, and yeah, it wasn't the MOST abridged I've seen, but the whole part of Manta and Yoh disagreeing on how to approach Amidamaru lost a lot to it.

I had forgotten that the whole "he decides to come back" bit was from the original anime (that was a lot more interesting and memorable, I feel), but when I re-read the chapter, it was like "Ah, I see the connection"; there were even subtle touches of showing Amidamaru in the very first page slumped over and barely noticeable among all the others, further illustrating his predicament.

This anime completely glosses over the whole "He and his friend were waiting for 600 years and unable to do anything" or even his depression or anything. I barely got anything than "Oh, that was fast. I remember the samurai guy having more to him than just that...."

It almost felt like it was just going through the motions to get to the 'better parts' of the story. Yeah, I just didn't really *feel* much.

Emotion plays a pretty big part in storytelling; you can get all the details in, but if you don't capture the mood or emotion behind them, it just feels empty. Leaving out the mood, despite cramming a pretty impressive amount into a single episode, it just lacked.

So I completely agree that it's hard to connect.
CrimsonCWApr 3, 2021 1:30 PM

Apr 3, 2021 9:55 AM

Dec 2014
I've never seen this before, it's been on my radar for a long time but never got around to it. Very glad this remake was announced as I can now finally watch it.

The art style is pretty unique and liberal with the designs, kinda reminiscent of Soul Eater in some ways.

I liked the first episode quite a bit, even if it was just introductory. If I had to nitpick anything, it would be to question why some of the characters have their shirts unbuttoned even at school. Seems weird, it's quite common for the main characters to have different styled uniforms but I've never seen one where they straight up just unbutton the entire shirt and wear it like some kind of overcoat. xD

The story seems interesting, can't really comment much on it as we've barely seen anything. Looking forward to more.
Apr 3, 2021 10:10 AM

Jul 2009
CrimsonCW said:
ame-furi said:

I just went back to chapter 1 and 2, and yeah, it wasn't the MOST abridged I've seen, but the whole part of Manta and Yoh disagreeing on how to approach Amidamaru lost a lot to it.

I had forgotten that the whole "he decides to come back" bit was from the original anime (that was a lot more interesting and memorable, I feel), but when I re-read the chapter, it was like "Ah, I see the connection"; there were even subtle touches of showing Amidamaru in the very first page slumped over and barely noticeable among all the others, further illustrating his predicament.

This anime completely glosses over the whole "He and his friend were waiting for 600 years and unable to do anything" or even his depression or anything. I barely got anything than "Oh, that was fast. I remember the samurai guy having more to him than just that...."

It almost felt like it was just going through the motions to get to the 'better parts' of the story. Yeah, I just didn't really *feel* much.

Emotion plays a pretty big part in storytelling; you an get all the details in, but if you don't capture the mood or emotion behind them, it just feels empty. Leaving out the mood, despite cramming a pretty impressive amount into a single episode, it just lacked.

Thank you, couldn't have said it better. I'm glad somebody understands me.
Oh, and I feel you, I always felt that the Amidamaru/Mosuke/Yoh story was done way better in the old anime than in the manga. I love the moment when Amidamaru goes to help them and then he finally decides to stay with Yoh. It was very sweet, you could feel they really care about each other and in my opinion it improved their relationship a whole lot.
ame-furiApr 3, 2021 10:46 AM
Apr 3, 2021 10:52 AM

Sep 2017
Man, I really hope they do a latin spanish dub, this anime brings me to my deepest childhood memories.
Apr 3, 2021 11:54 AM

Apr 2013
Tbh I was expecting the start of the reboot to be rushed like FMA:B and it’s how I felt watching this episode. Art & animation was decent but the pace was way too fast. Hopefully it slows down once the story progresses. But seriously, 52 episodes for 300 chapters? The anime industry is a funny thing.

I’ll still watch for the early 00s nostalgia alone.
KneelBeforeMeApr 3, 2021 11:59 AM
Apr 3, 2021 11:59 AM

Jun 2015
The artstyle/chart design is really bad (at least for my taste).that school has a intersting dress code!.
Every thing else was mediocre for first episode.
Apr 3, 2021 12:03 PM

Apr 2013
sikkimye said:
Sourire said:
But seriously, 52 episodes for 300 chapters? The anime industry is a funny thing..

Read this for the explanation https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1911640
Yeah I just saw that thread from the user above and commented on it. Having read the manga and seen the original I’ll still watch this version.. but for new fans it’s definitely not an ideal adaptation. And just reading some comments here, it’s like some of those new viewers weren’t aware that this was adapting an early 00s shounen title.
Apr 3, 2021 12:11 PM

Sep 2014
I'm surprised so many people hated it in the poll results 😂

it was ok but the original one grabbed my attention more with Morty's introduction scene. I only tried the 1st ep out of curiosity but am not interested to continue since I wasn't that big a fan of the anime/manga.

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Apr 3, 2021 12:24 PM
Jan 2021
It was an ok first episode. The pacing was so fast it feels like I didn't have time to really enjoy any of the characters. I hope the entire series isn't like that
Apr 3, 2021 12:32 PM

Apr 2013
As an old-timer fan who's watched the original but hasn't read the manga past the old adaptation, I can say I didn't feel comfortable with this pacing since it feels there's so much being left out.

However, the events from the beginning to the end of the episode blended together just fine. And yet that is not enough to make the new audience grow attached to the main cast as the original did.

I'm loving the art style so far, but the animation could use some more work.

The opening is no Oversoul, but it's pretty nice and I'll get used to it in the next few episodes, as for the ending though... it's just terrible, sadly.
Apr 3, 2021 1:12 PM
Nov 2019
So 300 chapters into 52 Episodes - this is going to be awfully rushed or they're going to have to chop a big chunk out somewhere.....
Apr 3, 2021 1:21 PM

Feb 2012
First time watcher. Going in completely blind. Glad I was able to find a subtitled version.

The prologue had a lot to take in for me. So the Asakura family were planning on killing their newborn because he was prophesized to be evil or something?

I thought it was going to be like stand battles. Regular humans cannot see nor interact with the ghosts so the way fights appear to be done is through this "Hyoui Gattai" with, Yoh allowing a spirit to possess him. So it's still Yoh doing all the physical interactions during a fight but with the skills of the ghost (which would be legendary samurai Amidamaru for the remainder of this series). I'm guessing to the non-shamans, You just looks like an insanely strong kid, but Manta knows why.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 3, 2021 1:29 PM

Mar 2016
ame-furi said:
CrimsonCW said:

Emotion plays a pretty big part in storytelling; you an get all the details in, but if you don't capture the mood or emotion behind them, it just feels empty. Leaving out the mood, despite cramming a pretty impressive amount into a single episode, it just lacked.

Thank you, couldn't have said it better. I'm glad somebody understands me.
Oh, and I feel you, I always felt that the Amidamaru/Mosuke/Yoh story was done way better in the old anime than in the manga. I love the moment when Amidamaru goes to help them and then he finally decides to stay with Yoh. It was very sweet, you could feel they really care about each other and in my opinion it improved their relationship a whole lot.

The saddest part was that, while not as good, it also still worked in the manga too. But nope, prioritize Ren fanservice, or worse, that whole opening scene which had no business or point being at the beginning of the story, vs maintaining character backstory/emotion.

They could've done a 1:1 adaptation and even added to it (like the Ren tease at the end) if they had just cut that whole opening bit, which is going to have to be revisited again later on anyway (since no new fan will remember it at all), further wasting time.
That's what has me worried about this anime.
CrimsonCWApr 3, 2021 2:22 PM

Apr 3, 2021 4:09 PM

Jan 2021
the fast pace wasnt as bad as i thought imo
i enjoyed the first ep and looking forward for more
Apr 3, 2021 8:43 PM

Aug 2020
vocaloid ed sounds so good.
Apr 3, 2021 8:57 PM
Jul 2010
Never really saw this anime as a kid because I wasn't a huge fan of 4kids growing up, I loved the Shaman King PS2 game though, it was an amazing game probably my favorite PS2 game ever. I am excited to watch this but bummed out it's only 52 episodes for a classic. Will report back when I watch the episode and give my thoughts.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 40 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2022

21 by almightybismarck »»
May 24, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 39 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2022

15 by almightybismarck »»
May 23, 6:20 AM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 38 Discussion

MahiaErebeaNegi - Jan 4, 2022

26 by almightybismarck »»
May 17, 9:37 PM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 37 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2021

21 by almightybismarck »»
May 17, 4:44 AM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 36 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

18 by almightybismarck »»
May 15, 9:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.