Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 25, 2021 7:58 PM
Jan 2020
Intense episode. With Rika’s birthday being a blast to her almost dying in the hands of some fake comos guy. She has some trauma it seems; she is not allowed to meet her dad. Hell, even her mom does not know who the dad is, as there were multiple partners, more than 5 it seems. She’s just an alcoholic now. This shocked Rika, she was about to give herself up and die. Her turtle comes and save her and makes her realise that, Rika is the mom and Turtle (Mannen) is going to protect her. I feel bad for Rika’s mom as well. She knows that her daughter will one day abandon her… Sad to bear. This shows emotionally hits very hard.
Feb 26, 2021 3:31 AM

Feb 2014
Rika's side of the story eh. Even though she sounds and acts cheerful, she has her own set of worries.
This show shows the worrisome side of being a female on different stages. As and adult, a single parent and child with loneliness. Glad to have picked this show.
This episode felt a lot to do with facing up your problems. Although her mom seems to have abandoned all hope and Rika seemed to do so herself, she decide not to abandon her mom. I mean you should stick by someone who's been there watching out for you all these times even though if its not the way you wanted.

Seeing Rika's cuts made me feel like how does it really feel doing so? Does it ease the pain or is just some adrenaline rush?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Feb 26, 2021 4:35 AM

Apr 2020
Dear Lord...this is not my favorite, but this is the best episode of Wonder Egg Priority so far! I am speechless...

The whole episode centered on Rika this time and...I am just in deep awe...of how great they've did on this kind of topic. Sensitive stuff yes, but it is really important for EVERYONE who's going through atleast one mental and psycho-social problem in life. For me it was sensitive when I saw Rika's cuts but...one part of me thinks that it is beautiful IN A VERY DARK WAY.

I am...not doing well emotionally going in to this episode. But when they decided to present this topic this episode, and it's about Rika...I am being pleasured in every way possible. I thought that Rika will die, and it will even hit more harder for me, but thankfully Mannen saved her, bringing back her drive and confidence in life.

That hug scene was just sweet, and Neiru's "don't die" line to Rika was really comforting. That last scene with her mother in the bar was very good. Even though SHE WILL abandon her hopeless mama, she decided to stay because it's still too early for her to branch out to the world. And that was nice.

Not only did Wonder Egg Priority broke me in this episode, as they touched in to the DIVORCE and SELF-HARMING TENDENCIES, what this episode did to me is get me back on the running, because I never thought I needed this episode until I got it. Best episode of WEP by far!
Feb 26, 2021 1:32 PM

May 2018
This is what has just come to my mind: what if main characters are suiciders, too? For example, they got their memories about that erased and were given a second chance?

Feb 26, 2021 4:55 PM
Jul 2020
man, poor rika I really feel for her. The scene where she was deciding whether or not to cut herself was so painful to watch.
Feb 26, 2021 10:24 PM

Oct 2008
damn!...just....impressive! ... really impressive!
Rika, be strong because the other three would be devastated if you walk to that place.
5/5.

Feb 27, 2021 4:21 AM

Jun 2007
wow this episode triggered me so much. especially the part where Rika tells her "friends" about her home situation thinking that they'd comfort her on her birthday and they instead of comforting her either looking awkward don't know what to say, or the worst - tell her that she is codependent and that she shouldn't trash-talk her mom because her mom has her own reasons. damn. don't ever tell abused kids shit like that. unless you want to add to the abuse.
that's good that Ai decided to join her after that but i wish the other two apologized. yes Neiru is an orphan but if you have it worse it doesn't give you the permission to be a jerk to others.
also, once again i don't like this show pushing the gender stuff. like only women can act on emotions and only guys operate on "logic" (Neiru: "i don't fit in the women society"), that's such ancient bs i can't even... and by the way Neiru's answer wasn't even "logical", it was an emotionally-detached, cold, unnecessary and inappropriate answer. logic my ass, as a guy i'd hate to get that kind of response to me sharing my life situation, it's ground-breaking but all humans want and need compassion.

i love the message that if you cut you are not weak, you are strong to find a way to survive despite everything. and also love the Rika's resolution to become a different woman than her mom is, and eventually leave the house.
SorvarinFeb 27, 2021 8:56 AM
see you, space cowperson . . .
Feb 27, 2021 6:54 AM

Sep 2020
Another awesomely animated episode!

It's Rikka's birthday! But things don't go the happy way!
She wanted to meet her papa,but her mommy won't let her to
and now she trash talks abt her mom.
She also gets into a fight with neiru when she tries lecturing her.
But rika drunken mother when she even broke her promise of showing rika her mother
Rika has also tries suicide ways,that has left scars on her hands.

When rika chan was helping the girl from the egg,she was planning to end her suffering by dying too.
But her pet came up and helped her defend.
Rika then came back to her consciousness.
She then talked with her mother at home and looks like she was abandoned by her father.

Looking forward for the next episode!
Feb 27, 2021 6:57 AM

Oct 2018
This time the episode is more focusing on Rika-chan. I'm suprised her mother doesn't want to let Rika-chan know her real father. Well guess what, Rika-chan's personality becomes like this is because of dark past, especially during her birthday.

The bad relationship with her mother makes her even more depressed and is about to end her life by getting devour by the monster. Not gonna lie, the monster is creepy. Thankfully, she's finally come back to her senses and finally revealed the truth of what happened to her father.

Now that's what I call psychological thrilling anime. Discovering the dark past happening between characters makes this anime more interesting than ever. Looking forward for more in the next episode XD
RiriHitosuyanagiFeb 27, 2021 7:03 AM
Forum set made by Nate
Feb 27, 2021 5:40 PM

Sep 2017
Fuck me up that was a brutal episode. So uncomfortable. I've never cut myself or ever wanted to but man that scene was hard to watch. Just a testament to the show and it's direction. I honestly thought we might actually lose a character here. I don't hate how she was saved tho since they were able to relate it to the mother and child relationship. Very good episode.
Feb 28, 2021 7:57 PM

Dec 2018
Omfg, this is hitting way too close to home. It’s very uncomfortable but I’m looking forward to the next episode.
Mar 1, 2021 3:51 AM
Jul 2018
episode focused on rika this is good, I hope it shows more about the characters in this anime, practically rika doesn't be okay with her mom this and her mom's fault, in my opinion rika's mother could have told us rika's father in the photos.
Mar 1, 2021 6:40 AM
Dec 2020
Sorvarin said:
wow this episode triggered me so much. especially the part where Rika tells her "friends" about her home situation thinking that they'd comfort her on her birthday and they instead of comforting her either looking awkward don't know what to say, or the worst - tell her that she is codependent and that she shouldn't trash-talk her mom because her mom has her own reasons. damn. don't ever tell abused kids shit like that. unless you want to add to the abuse.
that's good that Ai decided to join her after that but i wish the other two apologized. yes Neiru is an orphan but if you have it worse it doesn't give you the permission to be a jerk to others.
also, once again i don't like this show pushing the gender stuff. like only women can act on emotions and only guys operate on "logic" (Neiru: "i don't fit in the women society"), that's such ancient bs i can't even... and by the way Neiru's answer wasn't even "logical", it was an emotionally-detached, cold, unnecessary and inappropriate answer. logic my ass, as a guy i'd hate to get that kind of response to me sharing my life situation, it's ground-breaking but all humans want and need compassion.

i love the message that if you cut you are not weak, you are strong to find a way to survive despite everything. and also love the Rika's resolution to become a different woman than her mom is, and eventually leave the house.

Doesn't make it any easier to watch in the moment, but I suspect Momoe has reasons in her backstory for excusing/minimising Rika's mother's behaviour. So far she's notably been the readiest to assume that adults know best, and I think she's supposed to be either misguided or traumatised herself. Neiru I still can't get a read on.

(The original lines about guys' and girls' different reasons for suicide are supposed to be taken as false by the viewer though - Neiru originally had a line outright disagreeing and the creators have confirmed that that line is not to be believed. On the basis of that dialogue alone I strongly do not like the Accas and suspect they do not have the girls' best interests at heart.)

And yeah, I liked the ending - even though it probably made it even more uncomfortable to watch for me, I think it was good for the show to acknowledge the reality that unhealthy coping mechanisms can't just be tossed aside. To me the ending implies that, even if Rika slips and hurts herself again, she's not a failure or 'broken' and she can go on with life without completely giving into her suffering. She now loves life too much to do that anyway, even though she still can't shake that unhealthy habit.

Also... this has nothing to do with anything but I've seen a lot of comments going "hurr durr Ai Ohto is Odd Eye bad writing". I'm pretty sure what 'odd eye' ACTUALLY refers to, beyond her heterochromia, is the fact that she sees things that others don't. She's inducted into egg-buying that all seems to take place in abandoned buildings and gardens, she's always been friends with misfits (Koito included), and her arc about 'choosing not to look' implies that her unusual way of seeing the world was an unfortunate cause of her bullying. When she uncovers her eye at the end of Ep 6 it's her finally owning and being proud of the way she sees things.
Mar 1, 2021 7:32 AM

Jun 2007
Thank you for writing this @listingexisting . I'm glad to know more about that line. Also yeah, now I've calmed down, I think you may be right - that Momoe is in denial because of her own trauma. Originally I thought that the trash-talking just made her uncomfortable and also she didn't know how to deal with someone who's had a very different experience growing up, like, maybe she felt guilty she's got it better. But we'll see I guess :]
I also like your thoughts on Ai's eyes, and it goes well along with special characteristics of chameleon vision.
see you, space cowperson . . .
Mar 2, 2021 1:47 AM
Aug 2019
Xenocrisi said:
My favorite episode so far

Some triggering stuff aside, this was a great development for Rika. It was a close one for tho, I totally expected her to give up there and die. Thank god it wasn't the case.
Mannen came in and saved the day!
triggered???? y?
Mar 2, 2021 3:44 AM
Sep 2020
Slimbo101 said:
Xenocrisi said:
My favorite episode so far

Some triggering stuff aside, this was a great development for Rika. It was a close one for tho, I totally expected her to give up there and die. Thank god it wasn't the case.
Mannen came in and saved the day!
triggered???? y?

What are you doing here if you haven't watched the episode? There's quite some self-harm imagery in this episode, no blood or actual wounding though.

Anyway I liked this episode. I like how all the characters have flaws. Like that scene where Momoe and Neiru reacted so harsh to Rika when she was talking about her mom and dad, I felt so hurt for Rika. And to think I used to dislike her when she was first introduced. The fact that they all have flaws makes it more interesting. I wouldn't want to be friends with any of them, except for Ai I guess, but up to this point they are all well written characters imo.
Mar 2, 2021 3:46 AM
Aug 2019
ceramexis said:
Slimbo101 said:
triggered???? y?

What are you doing here if you haven't watched the episode? There's quite some self-harm imagery in this episode, no blood or actual wounding though.

Anyway I liked this episode. I like how all the characters have flaws. Like that scene where Momoe and Neiru reacted so harsh to Rika when she was talking about her mom and dad, I felt so hurt for Rika. And to think I used to dislike her when she was first introduced. The fact that they all have flaws makes it more interesting. I wouldn't want to be friends with any of them, except for Ai I guess, but up to this point they are all well written characters imo.
if u go to my list u can literally see I watched the ep.............

so self harm is triggering u? y, its part of the who theme of suicide and worthlessness, which are themes and messages of this show.? what are u some twitter sjw who wants to cancel this show now?
Mar 2, 2021 6:15 AM
Sep 2020
Slimbo101 said:
ceramexis said:

so self harm is triggering u? y, its part of the who theme of suicide and worthlessness, which are themes and messages of this show.? what are u some twitter sjw who wants to cancel this show now?

Not to me. It's quite universal common knowledge for regular people that self-harm can trigger people that for example have struggled with self-harm themselves. I assumed you are a regular human being so I at the same time assumed if you watched the episode you would understand, common sense really. You don't seem to understand what triggering means in this context. It means that certain scenes can be hard to watch for some people and cause emotional distress, because it can cause certain memories or feelings to return, usually surrounding traumatic events. So that doesn't mean that because certain scenes are triggering the show is bad or problematic, it's just simply hard to watch for some people and that's fine.

Nobody is trying to cancel this show. No need to make up issues that are not there and further derail this thread. In essence the only thing people are saying is that some scenes can be hard to watch, nothing more.
Mar 2, 2021 6:19 AM
Jan 2019
Slimbo101 said:
ceramexis said:

OP never said anything about wanting the show to be cancelled or anything, they even said they felt it was “great development”, I think you may be misunderstanding what is meant when people say the episode was “triggering” , they just mean that it was upsetting to them, some may have gone through something similar and it brings up those memories for them (it “triggered” their memories) but I won’t speak for anyone as I do not know their personal experiences, and just because something triggers someone, it does not mean they want that thing to be cancelled, as of course the themes of this show are very heavy and serious and will be upsetting to people, and may trigger them, but in cases like Wonder Egg, most believe the themes are handled and used well even if they are upsetting. Please try looking into the psychology of “triggers” as it seems to be a word that you have seen people throw around online and assumed that people just use it for something they don’t like and think should be cancelled.
Mar 2, 2021 6:22 AM
Aug 2019
bethxxx said:
Slimbo101 said:

OP never said anything about wanting the show to be cancelled or anything, they even said they felt it was “great development”, I think you may be misunderstanding what is meant when people say the episode was “triggering” , they just mean that it was upsetting to them, some may have gone through something similar and it brings up those memories for them (it “triggered” their memories) but I won’t speak for anyone as I do not know their personal experiences, and just because something triggers someone, it does not mean they want that thing to be cancelled, as of course the themes of this show are very heavy and serious and will be upsetting to people, and may trigger them, but in cases like Wonder Egg, most believe the themes are handled and used well even if they are upsetting. Please try looking into the psychology of “triggers” as it seems to be a word that you have seen people throw around online and assumed that people just use it for something they don’t like and think should be cancelled.
the word triggerrd this day and age is trown around like aids . Every person uses it to the point where it has losts its meaning, and is only associated with cancel culture. What else do u want me to think when i hear someone being triggered because of self harm? The other day nagatoro was gonna gwt cancel3d because pwople were trigger3d nagatoro was black....like wtf
Mar 3, 2021 9:34 AM

Mar 2019
God can this anime get any better!? the animation is superv, the very deep themes this episode challenges in such a short time handled so well, wow i hope people aren't sleeping on this one, again this is the kind of anime we need to get more often.
Mar 3, 2021 4:00 PM

Apr 2018
I immediately recognized Jouji Nakata's voice (as this episode's Wonder Killer) as soon as he said the first line, lol. I fucking love his voice.
Mar 7, 2021 3:57 AM
Jun 2019
This episode was really special this anime has done a great job of highlighting mental health issues and depression in an interesting fashion and this episode was no exception I'm going to watch the next episode now but I just wanted to say how incredible Rikas backstory and character have been built so far.
Mar 10, 2021 8:43 AM

Feb 2020
They really should put some trigger warning, I never self-harmed and yet I felt very uncomfortable at some point. Even shows that are much more mature (and so less prone to censorship) aren't so straight-forward (in opposition actually, shows in general tend to use a lot of metaphors when it comes to this kind of subject).

(And I'm gonna put a trigger warning here because I'm gonna talk about my issues with the way the show handles different psychological issues and I don't want to be accidentally offensive)

And actually, I think that's what is bothering me about this show in general, I can't help but feel like it adresses very tough subjects in a relatively immature way. Or to be more precise (and less harsh, especially since some people seem to genuily find help in this show which is great), I feel like this show is directed to one specific audience that is teenagers. So maybe that's why I'm not really feeling it, I'm not a teen anymore so I kinda have a different view of psychological issues than someone younger can have. The issue though is that it's not the first time that I strongly disagree with the message. It seems to make it look like things are way easier than they really are, like for Ai for exemple who struggled with school phobia for a while due to bullying and now can go to school without encountering any important issue. That's unfortunately unrealistic, things aren't that easy and most of the time, someone with school phobia, no matter the reason, will only get better with school by going to another school. Going back to the old one will only trigger trauma (and here I know what I'm talking about, based on my experience but also others').

And about Rika, the overall episode, while a bit too straight-forward and immature was handled pretty well, however the ending left me with a bad taste. I get that the message is about fighting against your struggles instead of giving up and commit suicide, but the way they handled it felt way too much like an accusation towards people who actually commit suicide. I always hate when those people are described as "selfish" because that's not true. What is selfish is to blame them for not being strong enough to fight anymore. But of course, if we can save them, we have to do it, but not through guilt-tripping them, that's some awful thing to do. And the whole thing about self-harm is no better. Yes, if we want to live we have to accept to get hurt, of course. But here the show made some kind of weird promotion for self-harming. I don't think I even need to explain how wrong that is. Understand and sensitize people on self-harm ? Of course that's the right thing to do. But encourage it ? That's a big nope.
Mar 13, 2021 11:25 PM

Jul 2012
Fafette said:

It seems to make it look like things are way easier than they really are, like for Ai for exemple who struggled with school phobia for a while due to bullying and now can go to school without encountering any important issue. That's unfortunately unrealistic, things aren't that easy and most of the time, someone with school phobia, no matter the reason, will only get better with school by going to another school. Going back to the old one will only trigger trauma (and here I know what I'm talking about, based on my experience but also others').

And about Rika, the overall episode, while a bit too straight-forward and immature was handled pretty well, however the ending left me with a bad taste. I get that the message is about fighting against your struggles instead of giving up and commit suicide, but the way they handled it felt way too much like an accusation towards people who actually commit suicide. I always hate when those people are described as "selfish" because that's not true. What is selfish is to blame them for not being strong enough to fight anymore. But of course, if we can save them, we have to do it, but not through guilt-tripping them, that's some awful thing to do. And the whole thing about self-harm is no better. Yes, if we want to live we have to accept to get hurt, of course. But here the show made some kind of weird promotion for self-harming. I don't think I even need to explain how wrong that is. Understand and sensitize people on self-harm ? Of course that's the right thing to do. But encourage it ? That's a big nope.

I understand your point about Ai's return to to school seeming too easy. I definitely wish that they had explored it a bit more, maybe by portraying more of her actual anxiety and thought process about returning, beyond what we saw in the texts. How she felt in class, including her interactions with teachers and classmates also seems like it would have been important. The way they just kind of brushed it all under the rug, when this was a huge moment for the show's main character, is kind of disappointing.

On the other hand, I don't think her relatively uneventful first day back was super unrealistic either. First of all, she has a group of good friends now, which would understandably give her a support system that would make things easier emotionally. Also, the sudden lack of bullying might not be too far off the norm. When I was 17, I stopped going to school for many months due to depression/anxiety/isolation, and when I came back, people treated me a lot better than before. Those who treated me poorly in the past just kind of left me alone or acted fake nice, because rumors spread, and nobody really wanted to bully someone who was clearly at rock bottom. I imagine that the knowledge that her best friend committed suicide might have a similar effect, although I'm not familiar enough with Japanese highschool culture to know for sure.

In the end, the fact that this wasn't explored more was probably because they wanted this to be more of a Rika episode, but it's still a valid complaint.

Regarding Rika, I don't think that the end message was meant to be pro-self harm. Cutting is a coping mechanism that Rika uses to deal with her pain, and she isn't past needing it yet. Her frank acknowledgement of this fact isn't to say that it's a good coping mechanism. It's more like, she's owning where she's at with it right now rather than beating herself up. This is a lot better than feeling shame about her habit, which was what she was doing before by hiding her scars from everyone. Now, if you take her words at face value then sure, it sounds like the show is promoting self harm, but I prefer to see her more as an unreliable protagonist here whose words are that of a good-hearted but maladapted and struggling teenager, not a wise person giving advice.

If anything, I think it would have been a lot less realistic if Rika denounced her self harm and suddenly turned a new leaf. Life is complicated. Depression is complicated. Relationships are complicated, especially when it involves alcoholics. So we don't recover all at once, and sometimes the best we can do is to "not die today". I think Rika in this episode was meant to portray that, which added a refreshing layer of nuance to the old, tired theme of perseverance. The final conversation with her mom demonstrates this as well, in her seemingly contradictory statement about how she wants to leave her mom behind, but is not quite ready to do it yet. This shit is messy, and takes time.

Quickly, on suicide, so the thing that triggered Rika's decision to not kill herself was that her turtle pet thingy protected her and reminded her of how bad it feels to be abandoned by those who depend on you, right? I can see how that might come across to some people as "suicide is selfish because you're abandoning people". On the other hand, I think there's a distinction between internally feeling a reason to live because you care about others, and being externally shamed into staying alive out of responsibility. Rika was swayed by the former, and not the latter. It stood out to me that no matter how much her well-intentioned friends pleaded with Rika not to kill herself (external pressure), what it really took in the end was inner motivation.

Also, Rika's temptation to give in to the monster and kill herself was portrayed in a pretty empathetic and delicate light. She was sick of being in pain, and this was a way out. Never did the show shame her for feeling this way or portray her as weak or selfish. Hell, if she did end up giving in, as sad as it would have been, I would have understood.
Mar 14, 2021 1:23 AM

Feb 2020
the7thfloor said:
Fafette said:

It seems to make it look like things are way easier than they really are, like for Ai for exemple who struggled with school phobia for a while due to bullying and now can go to school without encountering any important issue. That's unfortunately unrealistic, things aren't that easy and most of the time, someone with school phobia, no matter the reason, will only get better with school by going to another school. Going back to the old one will only trigger trauma (and here I know what I'm talking about, based on my experience but also others').

I understand your point about Ai's return to to school seeming too easy. I definitely wish that they had explored it a bit more, maybe by portraying more of her actual anxiety and thought process about returning, beyond what we saw in the texts. How she felt in class, including her interactions with teachers and classmates also seems like it would have been important. The way they just kind of brushed it all under the rug, when this was a huge moment for the show's main character, is kind of disappointing.

On the other hand, I don't think her relatively uneventful first day back was super unrealistic either. First of all, she has a group of good friends now, which would understandably give her a support system that would make things easier emotionally. Also, the sudden lack of bullying might not be too far off the norm. When I was 17, I stopped going to school for many months due to depression/anxiety/isolation, and when I came back, people treated me a lot better than before. Those who treated me poorly in the past just kind of left me alone or acted fake nice, because rumors spread, and nobody really wanted to bully someone who was clearly at rock bottom. I imagine that the knowledge that her best friend committed suicide might have a similar effect, although I'm not familiar enough with Japanese highschool culture to know for sure.

In the end, the fact that this wasn't explored more was probably because they wanted this to be more of a Rika episode, but it's still a valid complaint.

Regarding Rika, I don't think that the end message was meant to be pro-self harm. Cutting is a coping mechanism that Rika uses to deal with her pain, and she isn't past needing it yet. Her frank acknowledgement of this fact isn't to say that it's a good coping mechanism. It's more like, she's owning where she's at with it right now rather than beating herself up. This is a lot better than feeling shame about her habit, which was what she was doing before by hiding her scars from everyone. Now, if you take her words at face value then sure, it sounds like the show is promoting self harm, but I prefer to see her more as an unreliable protagonist here whose words are that of a good-hearted but maladapted and struggling teenager, not a wise person giving advice.

If anything, I think it would have been a lot less realistic if Rika denounced her self harm and suddenly turned a new leaf. Life is complicated. Depression is complicated. Relationships are complicated, especially when it involves alcoholics. So we don't recover all at once, and sometimes the best we can do is to "not die today". I think Rika in this episode was meant to portray that, which added a refreshing layer of nuance to the old, tired theme of perseverance. The final conversation with her mom demonstrates this as well, in her seemingly contradictory statement about how she wants to leave her mom behind, but is not quite ready to do it yet. This shit is messy, and takes time.

Quickly, on suicide, so the thing that triggered Rika's decision to not kill herself was that her turtle pet thingy protected her and reminded her of how bad it feels to be abandoned by those who depend on you, right? I can see how that might come across to some people as "suicide is selfish because you're abandoning people". On the other hand, I think there's a distinction between internally feeling a reason to live because you care about others, and being externally shamed into staying alive out of responsibility. Rika was swayed by the former, and not the latter. It stood out to me that no matter how much her well-intentioned friends pleaded with Rika not to kill herself (external pressure), what it really took in the end was inner motivation.

Also, Rika's temptation to give in to the monster and kill herself was portrayed in a pretty empathetic and delicate light. She was sick of being in pain, and this was a way out. Never did the show shame her for feeling this way or portray her as weak or selfish. Hell, if she did end up giving in, as sad as it would have been, I would have understood.

Thank you for your comment ! Now looking back at my comment I realize I really reacted way too emotionally to this episode. Those kind of subjects are some I am very sensitive to and as far as I can tell I've barely ever seen anime fully portray the harsh reality of it, which is something that frustrates me (but I probably should take the fact that it's Japan, and so not the same culture, in account).
It's not the first time I make this kind of mistake ^^'

But you really opened my eyes on this episode and I'm glad you did. The little complaint I still have regarding this episode, other than Ai seeming too calm regarding what she's been through, is just that I wish they made it more clear that what Rika is doing isn't the healthiest demeanor. I totally agree with you about her not having to be ashamed of that, just like I agree on how she shouldn't have stopped or anything like that, actually I really like that she didn't, but I also think about how, as I said, this show seems to be aimed at teenagers and teenagers tend to be very easily influenced, especially regarding this sorts of things.

I know someone who initially didn't think about harming herself, but after hearing people saying it feels good she decided to try it, even if it wasn't something she felt the need to do. And when I think about it I'm afraid this episode will unintentionally give the wrong ideas to vulnerable teens.

Regarding suicide though, I agree with you about the show being very empathetic regarding that, the resolution felt a bit questionable to me (it's not the first time I see anime blame suicide victims for abandoning others), but now I see your point and I love it actually, it makes me want to watch the episode again.
Mar 14, 2021 7:18 PM

Jul 2012
Fafette said:

I wish they made it more clear that what Rika is doing isn't the healthiest demeanor. ... I know someone who initially didn't think about harming herself, but after hearing people saying it feels good she decided to try it, even if it wasn't something she felt the need to do. And when I think about it I'm afraid this episode will unintentionally give the wrong ideas to vulnerable teens.

I think I agree, but I'm just not totally sure what the best way to show that would have been. Maybe something subtle like a line from Rika about how she hopes that someday she doesn't have to cut. I'm not sure.

Properly handling topics like addiction or self-harm is difficult, because it's really tough to strike a tonal balance where you're not being flippant, but also not being preachy. Normally, teenagers and young adults are way less receptive to media that veers on the preachy side, and they probably benefit the most from just seeing someone in a situation that's relatable and validating to them. From that perspective, it's probably best to err on the side of flippancy, but you also don't want to glorify harmful behavior. I think that while WEP's balance here may not be perfect, it does a pretty good job.

Honestly, I don't really know enough about the inner workings of the anime industry to say for sure who the target demographic of WEP is, but I assume that it's actually aimed at adults based on the inclusion of mature topics like molestation, underage prostitution, alcoholism, suicide, and self-harm. These are not typically things that you include if you're trying to reach a younger audience (Attack on Titan, for instance). Also, similar "dark magical girl" shows, even without these topics, like Madoka and Flip Flappers are aimed at adults as well.

Either way, a lot of mature teenagers will still end up watching WEP, but if I'm right, and the show is marketed towards adults, then the creators have a bit more leeway with how they handle these topics. If I had a teenage son or daughter, I would be very careful before letting them watch this, regardless of how they handled Rika's situation.

Fafette said:

But you really opened my eyes on this episode and I'm glad you did.

That's cool to hear!

I also agree that it's pretty rare to see an anime that tries to approach these topics in a meaningful way rather than for shock value. For that reason, even though WEP isn't perfect, I really appreciate what it's trying to do.
the7thfloorMar 14, 2021 11:14 PM
Mar 15, 2021 3:59 AM

Feb 2020
the7thfloor said:
Fafette said:

I wish they made it more clear that what Rika is doing isn't the healthiest demeanor. ... I know someone who initially didn't think about harming herself, but after hearing people saying it feels good she decided to try it, even if it wasn't something she felt the need to do. And when I think about it I'm afraid this episode will unintentionally give the wrong ideas to vulnerable teens.

I think I agree, but I'm just not totally sure what the best way to show that would have been. Maybe something subtle like a line from Rika about how she hopes that someday she doesn't have to cut. I'm not sure.

Properly handling topics like addiction or self-harm is difficult, because it's really tough to strike a tonal balance where you're not being flippant, but also not being preachy. Normally, teenagers and young adults are way less receptive to media that veers on the preachy side, and they probably benefit the most from just seeing someone in a situation that's relatable and validating to them. From that perspective, it's probably best to err on the side of flippancy, but you also don't want to glorify harmful behavior. I think that while WEP's balance here may not be perfect, it does a pretty good job.

Honestly, I don't really know enough about the inner workings of the anime industry to say for sure who the target demographic of WEP is, but I assume that it's actually aimed at adults based on the inclusion of mature topics like molestation, underage prostitution, alcoholism, suicide, and self-harm. These are not typically things that you include if you're trying to reach a younger audience (Attack on Titan, for instance). Also, similar "dark magical girl" shows, even without these topics, like Madoka and Flip Flappers are aimed at adults as well.

Either way, a lot of mature teenagers will still end up watching WEP, but if I'm right, and the show is marketed towards adults, then the creators have a bit more leeway with how they handle these topics. If I had a teenage son or daughter, I would be very careful before letting them watch this, regardless of how they handled Rika's situation.

Fafette said:

But you really opened my eyes on this episode and I'm glad you did.

That's cool to hear!

I also agree that it's pretty rare to see an anime that tries to approach these topics in a meaningful way rather than for shock value. For that reason, even though WEP isn't perfect, I really appreciate what it's trying to do.

Yes that's what I thought too in the end, unfortunately it's pretty hard to find the "right way" to handle such tough subjects and given how WEP has been so far, it would have been difficult for it to go more in depth without being too shocking/clumsy in its attempt. I still consider that it did it well for the most part, especially when it comes to Rika's mental state.
About the demographic, it is true that WEP 's target audience is probably adults, but the show overall, while good for adults, is most likely to attract a younger audience (the characters are reastically written teenagers encountering the struggles teens are the most likely to relate to, and the overall tone is much more light-hearted than what you would expect from more mature shows handling tough subjects). I think that for a good compromise, a trigger warning at the beginning would've probably been the best idea.

But WEP is still one of the best shows I've seen when it comes to deep studies of depression/suicide/anxiety etc. Most of the time it is done very well and this episode is still one of my favorites in this department despite its flaws. At least this show is sincere and isn't portraying those struggles for the sake of edginess or something like that but because it genuily wants to adress those thematics.
Mar 16, 2021 12:16 PM

Mar 2019
That was a sudden change of mood. Don't know if I like it or not but the ending was nice.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 1, 2021 6:25 PM

Apr 2011
This anime is still in episode 07 and I cried everyone. Just too incredible, in all its details.
The ep was focused on Rika, I was waiting for it, I needed this development. Like many of us, her personality is adaptive to the environment like a turtle shell to defend itself (hmmmm).
Now, we can see her fragile side and now I understand the fact that she is the one who questions the other girls about fighting with the risk of death, unlike the other girls (or not), I don't see her fighting to save someone, but yes, to be in a place to save herself.
The scene in which she almost cuts herself is so well directed and beautiful that it really makes you feel the same hopelessness as she does. And that confirms the reason for the design of her weapon. I am happy that this program is presenting these uncomfortable topics in a mature way, even though it can trigger some viewers (so I do not recommend it to everyone).
In fact, Rika's mother is not ideal, but I see a woman who cares for her daughter, only that she has serious problems, such as alcoholism. And the case of Ai’s mother, I’m waiting for the episode that will have a frank conversation between Ai and her mother, due to the fact that she is a mother who doesn’t deserve to be so harassed.
Apr 7, 2021 7:05 AM
May 2020
best episode so far
Apr 11, 2021 8:49 PM

Jun 2008
kaiki_fan_boy said:
that was amazing, my favorite episode yet.

Came here to say this. I hope the series keeps improving from now on...

Apr 24, 2021 11:16 PM
Oct 2019
So many social issue on this Anime.
Now it's about Broken Home and Depression...
So dark and so real.
I giving an applause to WEP to tackling more real issue.

Why this is so good...
The message is powerful.

I am a little bit regretting not watching this weekly back then while it's airing...
I can only imagine the hyped behind it.
May 28, 2021 8:00 PM

Oct 2013
So Rika decided self-harm is a valid coping mechanism moving forward. I approve the message that having no coping mechanism is more harmful than having harmful coping mechanisms, but I really expected the retro-tumblr crowd to roar in anger.

Still, there's a line between condoning harmful behavior and understanding it, and I'm not sure Rika's resolution actually walks that line.

nice episode, but I really gotta stop putting series on hold mid-series for several months, because my emotional investment in the plot and characters evaporated in the intervening time.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jul 6, 2021 5:27 PM
May 2021
I want to hug Rika 😭
Jul 17, 2021 11:48 AM

Jul 2015
Seeing her mother being irresponsible especially on the topic of the dad, I guess its no wonder Rika ended up with so many issues. Gotta say Mannen the amazing turtle is the real mvp this episode.

Sep 11, 2021 10:42 AM

Aug 2018
I'm not too sure you can break codependency on hatred with your own mother.. How is that codependency in the first place?.. Like stop hating, instead focus on something else?.. Well, didn't Rika try something else?.. Like becoming some idol.. Also isn't just turning away from hatred - in a way running away from it?.. I honestly don't see any bad in that Rika hates her mother.. But well.. Her friends lack info about her, they didn't see how constantly she drinks.. I think that you both can hate certain things your mother does.. And be someone you want to be at the same time.. Our paths are possible as well, of course.. What wants Rika - who knows..
Oct 9, 2021 3:57 PM

Apr 2019
This episode, as bad as it still is, is less worse than the previous ones.
The problem with this anime is that it is superficial with its dramas. Instead of going deeper into the characters and their problems, they do something fast in which there is no time to have a connection with the problems of the characters.
Oct 9, 2021 4:34 PM

Jul 2021
Loved this episode and the development from it, but it also hit way too close to home. Not really much to say about this, but from what I've heard the next episode is the last good one
Oct 22, 2021 3:23 PM

Aug 2017
I think Rika resolution was kinda abrupt if you ask me. I wonder what they're going to do now.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 8, 2022 10:37 AM

Mar 2013
The thing where she is getting sliced is really disgusting and irritating to watch, I couldn't bear to watch it, it felt like something is grinding my mind to stop it happening... UGH!!!

In the end of it all, I'm glad she didn't take the route of suicide and was able to understand her mother a little bit that would pretty much made them closer even in her own mind.

Thankfully, she has friends by her side to support her and be with her.
I hope they become friends in the truest sense.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Nov 28, 2022 1:42 PM
Jul 2021
Rikka very relatable this ep
May 7, 2023 1:42 AM

Dec 2022
I felt bad for Rika for how she has to deal with her mom everytime she's drunk but at the same time glad that Rika realized about her mom she cares about her, she even knew it was her birthday.
Rika really looked good with the other hair color.
Jun 7, 2023 1:30 AM
May 2022
Does anyone else feel like this episode crossed some lines that are kind of a taboo in this time.. When this came out, the world was on lockdown from corona and a lot of people were depressed, and yet they make an episode with explicit scenes of selfharm and suicidal thoughts in it. Also, "A beautiful woman never needs a purse" But "A man who asks for money is a fake". Talk about toxic femininity. smh
Jul 8, 2023 6:37 AM

Dec 2013
I thought we're going to lose Rika here :( Maybr it will make sense when she get older, I kind of relate with her when it comes to family relationship.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 18, 6:16 AM

Dec 2020
I was a little scared, but it was a nice episode.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 9, 2021

160 by RobinEatsJuice »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Feb 2, 2021

294 by RobinEatsJuice »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 26, 2021

239 by RobinEatsJuice »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 19, 2021

212 by RobinEatsJuice »»
Yesterday, 12:44 AM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aikotoba - Jan 12, 2021

433 by RobinEatsJuice »»
Yesterday, 12:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.