Forum Settings
Forums

Are you satisfied with how your country is represented in anime?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 16, 2017 3:18 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
BurningSpirit said:
I couldn't give less of a damn. The constant self-obsession of having to be "represented" somehow is stupid, unless it actually involves me. Name dropping my country or having a character from my country/ethnicity/whatever identity doesn't make me inherently happy or sad.

PREACH

i swear at this point in time, people are just looking or a reason to be offended

BurningSpirit said:
People who pay too much attention to the group they identify with. Basically people with no sense of individuality.

yea seriously.. i don't go looking for black characters in anime... theyre anime characters as far as im concerned

this PC bullshit better completely stay the fuck out of japan, unless ofc theres an author that actually wants to try this stuff
Nov 16, 2017 3:30 AM

May 2017
Most of the times the countries that have been shone in anime are Japan (obviously),U.S , Russia and Europe ,so yeah basically most of the countries have not been depicted in anime and I'm one of those fellow so can't answer
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2017 3:32 AM

May 2017
Swagernator said:
Well, i never seen my country in anime.
haha I've never heard of a place named throne of heroes , couldn't find it on google maps
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2017 3:37 AM

Apr 2016
MOB_ABOMINATOR said:
haha I've never heard of a place named throne of heroes , couldn't find it on google maps

It's a place outside of time and space, of course you can't find it.
Nov 16, 2017 4:19 AM

May 2016
Lalakoboldslayer said:
The few brazilian characters I remember being in animes are heavily stereotyped. They are black and play capoeira.
Not all brazilians are black, and to be honest, most of the people here are not black and don't even know what capoeira is.

And me ? I'm whiter than most europeans.

I didn't find your last comment, but here is the data

No total, 91.051.646 habitantes se declararam brancos no Censo, enquanto outros 99.697.545 disseram ser pretos, pardos, amarelos ou indígenas. Os brancos ainda são a maioria (47,33%) da população, mas a quantidade de pessoas qu... - Veja mais em https://noticias.uol.com.br/cotidiano/ultimas-noticias/2011/04/29/brancos-sao-menos-da-metade-da-populacao-pela-primeira-vez-no-brasil.htm?cmpid=copiaecola

The same data also states that all the states of the South Region have over 70-90% of white population, São Paulo has 60-70%; all the other states, 50-60% or below.

Pardo is already Black. It's ridiculous. To be considered black in Brazil, in this research, you need to be like Mr.Popo's level.
Nov 16, 2017 4:26 AM
Aug 2014
Most common foreign representation are
Germany: Attack on titan, Monster, Youjo Senki, Fullmetal Alchemist.
England: Black Butler, The Ancient Magus Bride, Hellsing, Princess Principal, The Seven Deadly Sins.
China: Dragon ball, Kingdom, Fushigi Yuugi, Ranma, Juuni Taisen.
America: Baccano, Soul Eater, Kekkai Sensen, JoJo, 91 days.

There's also
Italy: JoJo Part 5, Baccano, Lupin III
Korea: Akatsuki no Yona/Yona of the Dawn
France: Gosick, Vanitas no Carte (Steampunk Paris)
Russia: Yuri on Ice
Mexico: Rokka no Yuusha
Spain: Garo: Honoo no Kokuin
Ireland: Black Clover
Middle East: Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, Arslan Senki
Greece: Danmachi
Europe: Anything that is Isekai

I hope it helps.
animecat1234Nov 16, 2017 4:32 AM
Nov 16, 2017 4:43 AM

Jun 2010
swordmasterman said:
Lalakoboldslayer said:
The few brazilian characters I remember being in animes are heavily stereotyped. They are black and play capoeira.
Not all brazilians are black, and to be honest, most of the people here are not black and don't even know what capoeira is.

And me ? I'm whiter than most europeans.

I didn't find your last comment, but here is the data

No total, 91.051.646 habitantes se declararam brancos no Censo, enquanto outros 99.697.545 disseram ser pretos, pardos, amarelos ou indígenas. Os brancos ainda são a maioria (47,33%) da população, mas a quantidade de pessoas qu... - Veja mais em https://noticias.uol.com.br/cotidiano/ultimas-noticias/2011/04/29/brancos-sao-menos-da-metade-da-populacao-pela-primeira-vez-no-brasil.htm?cmpid=copiaecola

The same data also states that all the states of the South Region have over 70-90% of white population, São Paulo has 60-70%; all the other states, 50-60% or below.

Pardo is already Black. It's ridiculous. To be considered black in Brazil, in this research, you need to be like Mr.Popo's level.

Quando você disse "...mais da metade se declararam ser pretos, pardos, indígenas ou amarelos."
Quer dizer que não são todos os 99.697.545 pretos. Se fosse dar o resultado correto mesmo, menos da metade seria preto.

Sorry guys for not talking in english, but my english is not that good.
Nov 16, 2017 4:59 AM

Apr 2017
Can't remember seeing any references to my country. My neighbouring country of Finland has representation with one of my favorurite characters though.

Nov 16, 2017 5:43 AM

Dec 2015
LOL, I guess they are all stereotyped, even japanese ppl are stereotyped in a lot of animes that I know.

About my country: Most of the animes I have watched shows that we all like soccer and wearing bikinis all the time, and everyone is sexy all the time (Brazil).
Nov 16, 2017 5:59 AM

Apr 2017
I do not think my country's been conceptualized in any anime other than Hetalia and I haven't gotten around to that yet, so no, can't say I'm really happy, but not surprised either :P Would be cool to see more stuff involving the Baltic states.
Nov 16, 2017 7:09 AM

Apr 2017
Has anyone ever seen something about Croatia in anime? I've only seen communism, but that's history, when Croatia was still a part of old Yugoslavia.

EDIT: I remembered, ties are originally a Croatian product, so every tie ever is 'Croatian' :D
Nov 16, 2017 8:19 AM

Mar 2012
Japan doesn't even know where we are on the world map.
Nov 16, 2017 8:19 AM

Jul 2014
Rayzer said:
@isekai
Have you watch any anime that refer or showed our country?
Euphoria said:
I'm satisfied and amazed that Philippines has Charlotte but that's about it.
Have you watched or read Black Lagoon? PH was been there on it's first episode and (manga) chapter.

There was a Phillipino girl in Kamisama no Memochou I believe.

shalalablup said:
Would be cool to see more stuff involving the Baltic states.

I am pretty sure I saw Estonia's flag in a sports event during an anime once if that helps xD

_Goldee_ said:
Has anyone ever seen something about Croatia in anime?

Not explicitly mentioned, but I think the terrorist training camp Yuuji and Marin were in Grisaia no Meikyuu was supposed to be in the Balkans somewhere, but probably not Croatia since it was in the mountains.
Nov 16, 2017 8:28 AM
Aug 2016
ActuallyThere are actually many more UK/England (yes these ones are all in the England area like it or not) based is potentially the most based on country outside of japan. This list doesn't even include every one such as D grey man and several others as well!

The following list prosents the tittles followed by their location and then the studio behind them:

Emma A Victorian romance, (Victorian London), (Studio Pierrot)
Hellsing (1970s to 1990s London), Gonzo, (the studio behind it)
Black butler, (Victorian London), (A 1 Pictures)
k on the Movie, (modern London), (Kyoto animation)
Rozen Maiden Ouverture, (19th century London), Nomad (the studio behind it)
Ashita no Nadja, (20th century England), (Toei Animation)
Steamboy, (Victorian London), (4 o C, Sunrise)
Kiniro Mosaic Cirencester, Gokumi, (the studio behind it)
Detective Conan Movie 06, (19th century London), (TMS entertainment)
Little Witch Academia, (Glastonbury), Trigger (the studio behind it)
The ancient Magus Bride, (London), (Wit Studio)

and yes even this seasons still airing Ancient Magnus Bride is based in England there's that many

and yes I am patriotic and so I should be too! ^-^
Nov 16, 2017 9:02 AM

Apr 2017
Red_Tuesday said:

I am pretty sure I saw Estonia's flag in a sports event during an anime once if that helps xD

Which anime, do you remember by chance?!
Nov 16, 2017 9:25 AM

Jul 2014
shalalablup said:
Red_Tuesday said:

Which anime, do you remember by chance?!

No I can't remember, it could have been pretty much any school setting that had a sports festival episode :(
Nov 16, 2017 2:50 PM

Jan 2008
I'm Romanian so it's either vampires or killers. I'm OK with that.
Nov 16, 2017 6:18 PM

Sep 2015
Not exactly 'portrayed' or 'represented' but the Mink tribe house architecture in One Piece is faithfully based on the architecture of traditional house of indigenous tribe here where I am residing. Whether it has been confirmed by Oda himself or not in SBS, I am not really sure. But I am absolutely certain about this and it is just a matter of time before he confirmed it.

So there is that. And I think the fact that Oda even made a deep research about this place in the middle of nowhere and made a reference of it is pretty cool.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Nov 16, 2017 6:35 PM
Oct 2017
UpperCat said:
Not exactly 'portrayed' or 'represented' but the Mink tribe house architecture in One Piece is faithfully based on the architecture of traditional house of indigenous tribe here where I am residing. Whether it has been confirmed by Oda himself or not in SBS, I am not really sure. But I am absolutely certain about this and it is just a matter of time before he confirmed it.

So there is that. And I think the fact that Oda even made a deep research about this place in the middle of nowhere and made a reference of it is pretty cool.

That sounds very interesting, can you tell me where this is?
Nov 16, 2017 6:36 PM

Feb 2010
TheHopefulOtaku said:
America needs much better representation.
Why do all anime characters from America have blonde hair and blue eyes and are Caucasian?

It's not always like that, just usually when black americans show up in anime their portrayal is even more racist so just being associated with blondes doesn't seem that bad for america :>.
But there's still other examples, for example in Gundam Build Fighters which I'm watching right now the american representative at the world cup thingy is a black kid with dreadlocks who's also a scientist and a Ninja/Samurai (don't ask). But you will probably have to look at more recent anime (previous 15 years or so) to find more normal representations of non-whites in general and non-white americans in particular.

So it pisses me off how the entire main cast of Blood Blockade Battlefront are Caucasian, even though they live in New York, one of, if not the, most racially diverse place in America.

Isn't Zapp pretty dark-skinned? He is definitely not caucasian.
A good chunk of the main cast also specifically went to Hellsalem's lot once it appeared so they aren't native New Yorkers and referring to the original population of New York is barely a relevant argument. And in general the realistic, original part of the setting is barely even relevant in the show so I wouldn't expect it to care about realistically depicting New York. The anime is about Hellsalem's Lot and the diversity is more about different kind of lifeforms and species rather than just race and skincolor. Unlike Baccano, where the setting and the fact that it is set in our world are emphasized frequently and play a central role, Kekkai Sensen is not set in New York but in some weird, fictional, crazy fantasy city called Hellsalem's Lot. I'd never blame the show for simply using the name NY to base their fictional setting on. It never pretended to try and depict actual New York with anything resembling realism.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 16, 2017 6:44 PM

Nov 2017
Tonysol67 said:
yup, it's a spot on depiction of where i'm from

I want to see these two to fight. America would win though.
I'm late because I was watching anime and forgot...
Nov 16, 2017 6:47 PM

Sep 2015
ChocoLateToParty said:
Tonysol67 said:
yup, it's a spot on depiction of where i'm from

[img]https://i.imgur.com/a3hdHKZ.jpg[img]

Ftfy
this is the true american gundam
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Nov 16, 2017 6:51 PM
Mar 2017
Im much more concerned about how my country(philippinnes) is being dubbed as toxic nation, cancers, and peenoise in dota
Feb 2017
As an American, my country is referenced in like 50-60% of anime at least once. Half the time it's something positive like a friendly American character, or the characters in the show are on vacation to America or something like that (Persona 5 (idk if that's in the anime though)), but the other half the time it's negative and Americans are portrayed as the antagonists (like in BSD). Also the stereotype is always either a loud tough black dude, or some blond flamboyant rich white guy. Which kinda stinks because as someone of Puerto Rican descent, neither of those stereotypes represent me lol (maybe my dad's side a little because his side of the family is caucasian, which would fit the white guy). I don't really care that much though

Nov 2017
Tonysol67 said:
ChocoLateToParty said:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/a3hdHKZ.jpg[img]

Ftfy
this is the true american gundam

Thanks.

_
/(|
( :
__\ \ _____
(____) `|
(____)| |
(____).__|
(___)__.|_____

I'm late because I was watching anime and forgot...
Nov 16, 2017 7:52 PM

Sep 2015
Niello said:
UpperCat said:

It is the tribe/ethnic group that is originated in West Sumatra, Indonesia. You can see the architecture comparison here:

Pay attention to the buildings in the background of the main panel in the manga and you will see the semblance.

p.s: sorry for the late reply, I didn't see the notification.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Nov 16, 2017 11:32 PM

Jun 2014
There is many minor reference, something like food in Shougeki No Soma, boxer in Hajimete No Ippo, etc. They correctly stereotyped us as Multicultural diverse country.

I think many Japanese TV show stereotyped us As a Kind, Polite, and very Traditional people. But it's completely wrong. We are more modern than they think also we harsh to foreigner especially to Japanese cause they invade use. Also cause my fellow indonesian is usually easily provoked
Nov 16, 2017 11:35 PM
Oct 2017
UpperCat said:
Niello said:

It is the tribe/ethnic group that is originated in West Sumatra, Indonesia. You can see the architecture comparison here:

Pay attention to the buildings in the background of the main panel in the manga and you will see the semblance.

p.s: sorry for the late reply, I didn't see the notification.

Ah, you're right. I though it might just be South East Asian temples in general, but that pic does have the most resemblance, especially the curvature of the roof.
Nov 16, 2017 11:47 PM

Dec 2014
Only ever thing I noticed from Hungary is a flag in the background of Orange's class (Orange anime / Orange: Mirai film). I don't really think it is ment to be that, but I accept it as our flag. (red-white-green horizontal strips)

Tho' I know about Hetalia, but that isn't the same.

I think we are underrepresentated a lot, but I know that not a huge amount a ppl knows about the country anyways.

Some SoL show upcoming for a future season, please do a hungarian transfer student. (And never mention anything aobut him, except that he is from Europe)

Nov 16, 2017 11:49 PM

Feb 2015
The only times I've seen Bulgaria represented in anime was in a short filler arc of D.Gray-man and the only proper thing they got about us is that our country has beautiful roses, and the other time I saw Bulgaria represented in anime was in Ladies VS Butlers, where one of the main heroines ordered a ''Bulgarian marmalade'' of all things.
We do not fame ourselves with marmalade so it's possible the author just picked up Bulgaria randomly when looking up country names, just so the character can sound more sophisticated.
We do fame ourselves with our milk, yogurt, etc. though.
Japan's currently trying to replicate our dairies, cause we have a certain bacteria we use for that stuff, it's only in Bulgaria and it's called Bacillus Bulgaricus.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Nov 16, 2017 11:53 PM
Mar 2017
As far as know the reference of India is mentioned in Shokugeki where they mentioned Holy Basil and lemon. Also in Dungeon, they mentioned Ganesha as one of the Cult.
In Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, they referred India as second most populous country in the world. And it's true.
So India is depicted Good I guess.
Nov 16, 2017 11:57 PM
Dec 2016
As an Indian, I am content whenever the country is even mentioned. E.g Curry Naru Shokutaku, a lot of words from Hindi are used, and I go, I know what the means.
Nov 17, 2017 1:09 AM
Jan 2016
NOOO!!!
FOR THE LAST TIME!!!
WE DONT HAVE PIGS COMING OUT OF OUR TOILETS!!!
Nov 17, 2017 1:21 AM

Jun 2007
I'm Murican, just like many here. I usually get a good kick of the kooky stereotypes. Even when we're portrayed as villains I usually can't complain.
Nov 17, 2017 3:51 AM

Mar 2010
I don't think my country ever been or will be represented
but I saw my country flag have been represented many times in background whenever there is a school festival event or a summit of some sorts in anime.
Nov 17, 2017 3:55 AM

Jul 2009
my country is not really represented in anime. And to be honest i don´t really mind it ether.
Nothing in this world lasts forever, and it´s time you accept that.
It's better to not cling to these things that you will eventually lose.
Nov 17, 2017 3:59 AM

Aug 2015
England was represented pretty nicely in Black Butler, so I suppose I'm pretty satisfied, especially when they give England a badass character like Sebastian.
Nov 17, 2017 5:50 AM
Aug 2016
Well TBH beside Imperial age England and Japanese culture, most other country culture have mostly been based on stereotypes in anime.

As for going by my country Pakistan, I have seen 2 anime. Yugo the negotiator was well quite acceptable inspite being flawed in numerous ways and giving Arabic touch (the country is South Asian). JoJo part 3 did represented some traditions right (haggling was epic) but completely messed up most of it making a country an Arabic country.
Nov 17, 2017 6:51 AM

Oct 2014
My country is almost never portrayed in anime (well as far as I can tell), so I can't really comment on this.
Nov 17, 2017 10:40 AM
May 2016
The answer is NO .
I'm Egyptian and I've seen Egypt in many animies but It's always represented like we're still living in the dark ages ( of course that is not only in anime ) .
We also wear normal clothes and living in normal cities , not in tents in the desert .
So anime producers STOP THIS SHIT!!
Nov 17, 2017 12:31 PM

Mar 2016
'Muricans are stupid and overly assertive... I think anime does that well.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Nov 17, 2017 3:13 PM

Aug 2013
To the Japanese generally it seems only America (US) and European countries exist.

This Regular Show short has more country mentions than like all anime.

Nov 18, 2017 7:43 AM
Dec 2016
If I’m not mistaken, Manila (capital city of the Philippines) was shown in Charlotte. And I know there is a filipino boxer in Hajime no Ippo
Nov 18, 2017 10:45 AM

Apr 2017
No, not all french people are blond with blue eyes. Most of us have brown hair, and no, we're not romantic at all.

Well, at least we have a positive image.

buy mochi at the mochi store
and friends at the friend store

Nov 18, 2017 7:19 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Can't get more satisfying than hearing my native language in an otherwise Japanese sounding show.
Nov 18, 2017 7:40 PM

Jul 2017
I thought Hetalia's depiction of my country (America) was pretty funny.
Nov 18, 2017 8:14 PM

Feb 2017
Haha wo tazunete sanzenri is a very old anime, from 1976 (https://myanimelist.net/anime/1663/Haha_wo_Tazunete_Sanzenri) in which an Italian boy comes to Argentina in order to look for her mother, who has emigrated because she was looking for a job.
The other Argentina reference I can think of is in Orange, when one of the characters (I think Suwa) decides to put a Messi's photo on their future box.
If I'm not wrong, Argentina's football is also mentioned in Captain Tsubasa.
Am I satisfied? Well, at least we have been named!

Nov 18, 2017 9:06 PM

Mar 2010
I mean I don't care. Mostly it's just a funny stereotypical redneck and actually makes me laugh a little bit.
Nov 18, 2017 10:12 PM

Oct 2017
No idea because I've never seen an anime that had references to Australia. Would be cool to find one though.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
May 13, 2019 3:54 AM

Jan 2019
Most of the openings are japanese and coming from japan. :p
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» A character who is impossible to love?

torsan88 - Today

22 by pludel2 »»
26 seconds ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

82 by BilboBaggins365 »»
1 minute ago

» Do you unironically think that hentai can be art? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Mar 11

58 by zombie_pegasus »»
30 minutes ago

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - 2 hours ago

4 by Anjuro »»
38 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

31 by APolygons2 »»
57 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.