High School DxD (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you prefer the new or old art style
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Mar 9, 2018 6:43 AM
Mar 2015
HikariJake said:
It's shit. Looks so generic and overly moe, like K-On with bigger tits. I don't care if it looks more like the light novel, LNs generally have shitty art in the first place.

blueswizzle said:

I mean, according to other posts, the Japanese fan base were complaining about the old style being unappealing especially after 3 seasons, so the new studio changed it. Now, the Japanese fan base prefers the new style, so if they are happy then I’m happy. Because that just means there’s a better chance for the anime getting more seasons which I’m down for.

Why the hell does what Japan say immediately validate this new artstyle? I'm sorry but Japanese otaku are not Gods, I don't agree with most Japanese and I think that their average anime popularity pollings are complete trash.

I never said what the Japanese say validates the new style. All I said was that they preferred the new over the old, that’s it. We can all sit here and argue which is better, it won’t matter because the anime is still releasing with this art style in the end.I brought it up because if the Japanese fan base, which is the immediate target audience not us, likes it, there’s a much better chance of getting more seasons which I’m completely down for. Does this mean I would bend over backwards and completely submit to what the Japanese say? No. Like you, I also somewhat disagree on their own tastes in anime. I’m actually shifting towards the new art style more which is why I’m fine with what the Japanese have to say because our opinions match.

I recently just rewatched seasons 1 and 2 of the anime, and after comparing both art styles I’m split on what I prefer. I like the old because I’m used to it, but I also like the new because it looks less “stiff”. I didn’t like the hairstyles for the old design, they looked like plastic to me and was way too shiny in certain lighting, so I prefer the new style in that aspect. I’m just waiting for the new season to release so I can finally decide on which style I like.
Mar 9, 2018 6:55 AM
Jul 2018
HikariJake said:
It's shit. Looks so generic and overly moe, like K-On with bigger tits. I don't care if it looks more like the light novel, LNs generally have shitty art in the first place.

blueswizzle said:

I mean, according to other posts, the Japanese fan base were complaining about the old style being unappealing especially after 3 seasons, so the new studio changed it. Now, the Japanese fan base prefers the new style, so if they are happy then I’m happy. Because that just means there’s a better chance for the anime getting more seasons which I’m down for.

Why the hell does what Japan say immediately validate this new artstyle? I'm sorry but Japanese otaku are not Gods, I don't agree with most Japanese and I think that their average anime popularity pollings are complete trash.

Nobody has ever said that Japanese are gods or anything. He's saying the complaints of the old artstyle in which the old artstyle aged over time. It doesn't fit with the standards of digital animation today which limits animators as well as the artstyle limiting the full potential the animation can give. Since while yes DxD's appeal is the fanservice... there's also the fight scenes which are pretty much the sacrifice, making the animation of the fight scenes clunky at best.

He's more so saying that if the Japanese fanbase are fine with the changes then he's fine with it, considering this opens up to more upcoming seasons.

Oh and by the way, I think I'll reiterated this, but people weren't pleased after BorN from both artstyle (which got worse with the way the animation was done) and content wise (they basically did something in which even the author was pissed off about, so he pretty much tried to give his work to someone else or try to get their IP off. That's an issue if an author didn't liked how a studio is representing a work of his).

Not saying your opinion is invalid or anything, but you aren't getting the point of this either. Also uh... LNs usually have shitty designs anyways? Uh, the same can be said with a lot of mangas sometimes. Then again illustrations etc are a subjective appeal in the end.
Mar 9, 2018 5:46 PM
Mar 2018
The old style is the style that made me love highschool dxd and got me into watching anime._.
Mar 9, 2018 6:43 PM
Jul 2018
Wasshio said:
HikariJake said:

Also uh... LNs usually have shitty designs anyways? Uh, the same can be said with a lot of mangas sometimes. Then again illustrations etc are a subjective appeal in the end.

At least most manga have different artstyles. LNs have the same moe shit, every time. Few exceptions.
Mar 9, 2018 10:24 PM
Feb 2016
I only know that losing the whole Tournament arc hurts me deeply. That was the only reason I was looking forward to season 3, and instead they go with a chopped up version of it. And even kept most of the more useless details (and also did those last two awful original episodes, which bring absolutely nothing to the story nor the characters nor even give any good ecchi). Hopefully they fixed those holes somehow, guess I have to catch up to it later.

Regarding the artstyle, I can't say I dislike the new one. Sure, the new one seems pretty different and gives a different vibe, but by this point in the LN it's not as if the ecchi scenes are anything more than bonding exercises for issei and any part of his harem, so the softer approach is actually kind of nice. Still, hopefully they keep the tones of each scene properly. Also hopefully they actually make the fighting scenes justice, since juggernaut drive in BorN sucked and with the great scenes we'll never see now thanks to volumes 6-7 going down the drain (thanks to BorN, again).

PD: Good god I really hate how awful BorN was.
Mar 18, 2018 1:43 AM
Dec 2017
Even though I voted for the new art style, I don't really have a strong favourite. The new art style is more focused on colour and sharpness but the old design definitely wins out in terms of the realistic aspect. But, then you have the problem of the characters. Ross and Akano definitely looked better in the older one but Konako, Asia and Irina I personally like better in this art style. It fits their characters better (not that I can say the same for Rias)
Mar 18, 2018 3:42 AM
Jan 2016
looks more along the line as kono suba and i think thats great, by not restricting itself with too much detail the animation can be more fluid like not meant to sound like a perv however u see the ecchi seqence in the trailer it has far more actual animation than the orginal series with alot of still shots it still was fine due to the directing and editing however this series now like pokemon sun and moon due to not worrying too much about detail the animation is actually great now because pokemon new series is relying on cgi on the background and simplifying the art style so alot of movement can occur showcasing the battle seqences to be really good. i don't know about anyone else but i here for the ridiculous over the top plot while the ecchi sequence can be considered the cream on top its not a soulless cash grab.
Baba_Zone1Mar 18, 2018 3:46 AM
Mar 18, 2018 5:36 AM

Feb 2015
Definitely old.

New looks cute but it doesn't really match the series.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Mar 18, 2018 7:18 AM

Jan 2016
what a great surprise. i didn't expect it start in spring
Mar 18, 2018 8:55 AM
Feb 2018
Don't judge too early, its not airing yet..

BOOSTOOO!!!!
Mar 18, 2018 12:02 PM

Mar 2016
I was expecting the old art style so to be honest, I'm a little disappointed. This new one doesn't seem at all bad though. Just different.

GangsterCat said:
looks even more fapable

I agree with this though.
Mar 18, 2018 12:59 PM
Dec 2017
I prefer old artstyle
Mar 18, 2018 1:02 PM

Jul 2016
The new poster looks bad but the actual footage in the trailer looks better.
Mar 18, 2018 4:49 PM

Dec 2009
The poster is misleading af. I was so disappointed but after seeing the PV I can def get down with it, nowhere near as bad as I was thinking. I actually loved how akeno looked

koneko on the other hand... hated her, prefer the old way but I'm still fine with this new animation, won't make me dislike the season.
Mar 19, 2018 11:12 AM

Jan 2016
It looks too much basic, like all ecchi moe anime nowadays... I prefer the old style.
Mar 19, 2018 2:08 PM
Jun 2017
Though I did like the old art style it really doesn't matter that much as long as the over graphics is good.
Mar 19, 2018 2:13 PM

Dec 2016
I definitely prefer the old. I don't mind the new artstyle, but the characters all look so different. I kinda grew up with this series, and it was the second anime I ever watched (+ the show that got me addicted to anime), so it's a shame to see it change and lose the nostalgic feel
Mar 19, 2018 2:51 PM

May 2015
Looks too moe. DxD isn't the best anime, but there were a couple moments where I thought "wow that was cool". Can't see myself ever being excited by the fight scenes when the characters look like that. At least the FS, which the show is kinda based around, will improve with the transition, though.

Feels weird to say as someone with a very open-mind to new/different art styles but hey
Mar 19, 2018 2:54 PM

Jan 2014
I'd never thought I'd see the day where I'm not excited to see a new season of DXD

New art looks way too moe. The old artstyle is x100 better.

*Sigh* well looks like this series is finally over now.

Mar 19, 2018 7:13 PM
Jul 2018
Here's a preview of some screenshots, courtesy of Dragon Magazine:
Mar 20, 2018 8:50 AM

Feb 2017
Here's the new CM, to get a better look at how it looks in motion

Honestly, I'm more or less sold on the new style. Rewatching BorN, it was painfully obvious to see how stiff a good bit of the non-chest animation is. All I was waiting to see was if the new style would lead to more fluid animation, which it looks to have done, so it's an upgrade in my book. I'd much rather have this "generic moe" style that others are labeling it as, over how the style deteriorated in BorN.

xenovia will take a little more getting used to tho...
BushyParrotMar 20, 2018 10:59 AM
Mar 20, 2018 4:31 PM
Jan 2017
Renaultclio101 said:
Technically I am not a fan of this new art and the old art had more character detail and it looked up to date than this season. I am not sure but heard it was a new studio that was taking over and what happened to the old studio since they were better regarding to visual.

This poster is weird though; why does Issei now look uncomfortable with all the women trying to get in his pants? The great thing about Highschool DxD is that the main character has depth and logic to like erotic things, which was a major problem people had with MCs like in Infinite Stratos. Smh. Can someone explain?
DangoDa1kazokuMar 20, 2018 4:37 PM
Art is dead, and we killed it.
Mar 20, 2018 7:12 PM

Feb 2018
Much much better than the old. looks more modern
Mar 20, 2018 7:47 PM
Apr 2013
lol looks so sloppy... It clearly requires less time to animate and you can see this will be bad (look at the amount of basic drawing errors on second poster). Feels also more childish which will lead to more pedophilia acusation nice :)
Mar 20, 2018 10:26 PM
Feb 2018
Fang said:
Looks too moe. DxD isn't the best anime, but there were a couple moments where I thought "wow that was cool". Can't see myself ever being excited by the fight scenes when the characters look like that. At least the FS, which the show is kinda based around, will improve with the transition, though.

Feels weird to say as someone with a very open-mind to new/different art styles but hey

Indeed its not the best anime, but it is the best Ecchi anime.
I remember read it somewhere, lemme do a research
Mar 21, 2018 3:02 AM
Jul 2018
I like it tbh. Don't get the hate, it looks much better in motion than the older one which would make for better action scenes.
Mar 22, 2018 6:56 AM
May 2017
Those girls looks younger like 12 yrs old face with A-G Cup Oppai . If the sound effect is not matched i'm really gonna be mad . I like old one it looks matured and steady physically.Nice sound and sketchy environment. If Date A Live new season is like this i'm ok with it lol.
Mar 22, 2018 11:46 AM
Feb 2018
I am used to the old style, but new one seems refreshing and promising.
Mar 22, 2018 3:40 PM

Jan 2015
If you took the new girls clothes off, let their hair down, and put them in a line-up with a bunch of other random anime girls, how many would you be able to pick out? Let's see...Xenovia (because of the two-tone hair). That's about the only one I would get. It might as well be a new series.
Mar 22, 2018 9:15 PM
Nov 2015
Not A fan, But I could have let it Pass if they hadn't changed Xenovia Hair colour to that dull washed out blue.
Mar 23, 2018 5:16 AM
Jan 2016
Greninja_170 said:
This new art style should allow for more fluid animation(I hope). The old art style looked stiff imo.

Ur exactly right, the last 2 pokemon series ( count xy and xyz the same ) xy plus sun & moon utlises CGI, for xy is for the backgrounds thats why the scenery was really beautiful and allowed animators to have time animating instead of worrying about the backgrounds plus utlise right it was great to look at. Then Sun & Moon abandoned they art style to something completely different where people criticising it unfairly by looking at still images when in motion the sun & moon was an upgrade ash less detailed face allowed animators to give ash more personality through his actions they was a crap ton of animation it looked stunning especially the fight scenes. Alot of animes are starting to realize this mob psycho 100 ( thats kinda One art though), new dragon ball movie looks like it simplifying its art style .... this seems like an improvement hopefully.
Mar 23, 2018 5:22 AM

Apr 2013
At first I didn't like the change, since I actually really liked the artstyle from the first three seasons. But I guess this one does have its advantages as well, so I'll judge it once I watched the first episode and see it in action.
Mar 23, 2018 5:55 AM
Mar 2017
I prefer new because it will look more surprising and amazing immm soooo hypeee for this series
Mar 23, 2018 1:18 PM

Mar 2017
Based on the visual, I would say that I didn't like the newer style, but judging from the PV, I'd say that the style is just fine

"๐“•๐“ธ๐“ป ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ,
๐“ฎ๐“ฟ๐“ฎ๐“ท ๐“ฏ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฝ๐“ธ
๐“—๐“ฎ๐“ต๐“ต
๐“ฒ๐“ผ ๐“ท๐“ธ๐“ฝ ๐“ฎ๐“ท๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ฐ๐“ฑ."
๐“๐“ท๐“ฒ๐“ถ๐“ฎ ๐“›๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฝ | ๐“œ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ช ๐“›๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฝ
Mar 24, 2018 8:56 AM
Nov 2017
The new art makes the characters look younger... also it's more bright and colourful than the previous art style. Still prefer the old one
Mar 26, 2018 3:26 AM

Sep 2011
LOL at people having excessive hate towards the new art.

I like the new art and I find it better than the old one but unfortunately they ruined Rias and especially Akeno...

Mar 26, 2018 6:08 AM

Feb 2016
I really fall in love for that new art style I think this is the time for me to watch the second and third one so, since I let them after the first one 'cuz many others
Mar 26, 2018 6:21 AM

Feb 2014
artstyle? do people even pay attention to that pretty sure everyone who watches this only sees the abnormally oversized tiddies
โœ˜ Flying without feathers is not easy; my wings have no feathers โœ˜
Mar 26, 2018 4:45 PM
Feb 2017
what I'm missing is the maturity. Rias felt older then issei and there was the charm she and akeno were the "older sisters who will teach him all the stuff" but now everyone looks younger or the same age as him. Boring. The thing about his harem was the differences: rias, akeno, older sister type, asia is precious, must protect her type, xenovia the warrior with girly side, irina similar but tsundere, rossweiße is the teacher type of course and lastly koneko. cat girl. nuff said. Look at them now and try to describe them. their "aura of..." is gone. everybody is a girl around 16 with different hairstyles and boobs
Mar 27, 2018 7:01 AM
Mar 2016
I think the old design is a lot better -_-
Mar 27, 2018 6:12 PM

Feb 2012
People don't like change, of course, but I've watched Rokka no Yuusha and the art was gorgeous. I have very high hopes for the new art style.
Mar 29, 2018 5:50 AM
May 2016
I don't like it because it's not in line with the previous seasons.

To me, as someone who has only watched the anime, they feel like completely different characters.
Mar 30, 2018 10:00 AM

Jul 2013
-shaker- said:
I don't like it because it's not in line with the previous seasons.

To me, as someone who has only watched the anime, they feel like completely different characters.

I think the other problem was the previous season, there was some filler arc and kind of swayed away from main plot.

I was watching the PV2 and the facial expression looks childish in a way it makes me think loli with huge melons
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2018 10:32 AM

Dec 2012
This new stuff is a disaster. Sure it is easier to animate but it looks simply awful and with the long and good history for the main characters art style this is a joke. I sadly will give this a pass for I enjoyed 1 and 2 but the increasing loli and harem junk has destroyed the impact the first season had. It appears that the sad history of good series being destroyed by bad new directors is continuing. A real shame.

Mar 30, 2018 4:33 PM

Aug 2014
Personally, the old art style was good for the more serious moments whilst the newer one seems like it'll fit the ecchi and comedy moments more.
I've not read the manga or novel so I don't personally know which tone this season is going to focus on, so I'll have to see what I think depending on how the series goes.
Apr 4, 2018 7:00 PM
Sep 2017
NO NO NO. They fucked up Rias. Unforgivable.
Apr 5, 2018 6:27 AM

Jul 2013
Magicman2552 said:
NO NO NO. They fucked up Rias. Unforgivable.

Looking at all the trailers including the latest. I can confirm to say the art is messed up with all the characters. They look like lolis now or with a fat face and the body just doesent suit the outer appearence
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2018 1:15 PM

Oct 2017
I like the new artstyle, makes the girls look more thicc. The original artstyle was kind of bland
Apr 6, 2018 9:12 PM
Sep 2016
Reminds me of the art thats being used for the Dragon Ball Super movie coming out
Apr 7, 2018 2:18 AM
Aug 2013
I just watch season 3 sadly the end was disappointing but i still liked Juggernaut Drive and booblingual

The new art seem different but for me do not matter as soon as Hero is not the last season.

So volumes 11 and 12 get animated to see more of Great Red and animated scenes of volume 12
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Season 5 Confirmed!!!

Hachii13 - May 3

40 by filthyfrank8142 »»
May 6, 3:44 AM

Poll: » Highschool DxD season 4 art style

DiamondBaka - Dec 7, 2020

27 by Oongbuh »»
Apr 23, 8:02 PM

» Season 5 possibility

Homura24 - Jun 11, 2023

44 by KrishanMCK »»
Mar 29, 7:11 PM

Poll: » High School DxD Hero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

74 by ajay173 »»
Mar 8, 1:55 PM

Poll: » High School DxD Hero Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2018

99 by EngeLxS »»
Feb 20, 3:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.