Forum Settings
Forums
New
Who speak Engrish?
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jun 24, 2016 5:26 AM

May 2016
ShinobiKai said:
Can I do the opposite and understand Galician then? Never tried it.

I don't know, but I would say yes. It's more similar to Portugal Portuguese, since Galicia and Portugal are so close, but I think you could understand it being a Brazilian Portuguese speaker, too. Also, if you understand Spanish, it's even more easy. Galician is very similar to both Portuguese and Spanish despite having its own characteristics, like every language.
Jun 24, 2016 5:34 AM

Jul 2012
English - Fully proficient
Korean - Fully proficient
Japanese - Can Speak/comprehend fine. Writing/typing is weak.
Jun 24, 2016 5:40 AM

May 2014
My first language is English but I grew up learning Castilian Spanish (aka Spain's main dialect, not Mexico). And I have a basic hold on Russian, because I am Russian. I know some French and I used to be really good with it, but now I suck.
Jun 25, 2016 10:13 AM

Jan 2009
Tourist said:
Well, "Para los gustos, estan los colores" we say.
"For the Tastes, there are the Colors". The English have "There's no accounting for taste" and we tend to say: "über Geschmack läßt sich nicht streiten", more literally translation = "About Taste, [it] doesn't let argue/it lets not argue."

You're right, it depends on the Work. Dragon Ball (Z) is a good Series to hide the Weaknesses of a certain Accent. It doesn't seem as bad as the previous one, but still not as refined as the Spanish Dub of Metal Gear Solid, though it's not a fair Comparison if there has been put more Effort in the latter.

Here's the same Scene in German btw.:

I like that Son Gohan doesn't sound as much of a Woman here :p
Also, Robots Voices like C15's come over much clearer in a Language, that can be spoken in Staccato and uses Glottal Stops [ʔ] to mark a clearer Border at the Beginning of another Word or Syllable that begins with a Vowel (mostly before "a"), making it appear more powerful.

I am aware that Spanish language is passionate, particularly several of the New World, although I have not noticed that we lower the tone deliberately. The only thing that usually we do to understand us is to avoid using words that are used only in our nations and to in turn they are not known in the rest of the region. The differences in accents do not avoid that we understand between us perfectly.
Yes, Colombian also sounds quite on the passionate Side, while the Spanish in your Comparison sounds quite innocent/shy to me and Argentinian doesn't come over that well here.
Ecuadorian sounds quite plain in my Ears, but it could be just my own Taste that asks for a stronger and/or more distinct Articulation, because a weak one where the Words just flow from one Ear in and to the other one out has it harder to get my Attention.

People from Austria and other Regions also tend to avoid using regional Words when speaking with someone from outside our own Group. Understanding works perfectly, since Standard German acts as a lingua franca (oh the Irony in the Naming) between different German Varieties, whereas the other Standard Varieties are quite identical with the German one, except that they sound a bit differently. I don't have any Problems with understanding Austrian German or Swiss German, although the latter is sometimes subtitled in German TV.

Spain is a historically warrior nation, therefore no wonder that Spaniards have a way of being and speaking very front that is complemented with their different accents.
Rather than a Nation of Warriors, I would say that Spain used to be a Nation where Power and Gloria is rooted. That's the Impression I'm getting compared to Mexico, who had lost quite big Territories and where its Speakers sound kind of less lively compared to the Spanish Speakers from other Regions.

Also Germany is a historically warrior nation and its heritage can be seen in its frontal character and a determined coarseness in its accent (without exaggerating).
I've never heard of a war between Spain and Germany (this includes the times of the Kings), by contrast, has been a historical constant that they fight on the same side.
There wasn't one German Nation, though. There were many different German ones, albeit there was a Notion of a common, German Identity. What is typically German, has its Roots in the strongest State at the End. Most of the Prussian Virtues (except for the military ones) are considered to be typically German ones.

Now I don't want to confirm Stereotypes, but there's no Way around that both German and Spanish are ideal Languages to be used on Military Parades such as this one or this one.

Still, that doesn't mean that People from a "Warrior Nation" have to always speak agitated. There's a Difference between Wilhelm II. preparing the Germans for War and speaking about Moralities. Even Hitler did sound rather normal when speaking in private.

Although the word Standard still sounds me like rare in this context, perhaps because I perceive it as something linked to culture.
I used Standard Language as another Term for the lingua franca or common Language, but I can see how you came to the Culture, because if you replace "Standard" with "Norm", it sounds like it would be normal to have the Language being Part of their respective, own, native Culture.

No wonder many Russians or French know German language because both nations have had frequent contact with the Germans.
Not only that, but the German Language also used to be a Language of Science, Thinkers and Poets. It's still considered as such, but the Notion has decreased since WWII.

The Woman looks too artificial for my Taste, but she's easy on the Eyes. And no Wonder that Argentinian is also easier on my Ears, when Migrants from German-speaking Areas might have also influenced its Direction.

To be honest, I felt confused.
I thought the woman was Austrian but reading the comments I realized that she was German. She sounds very different from the Germans that I know.
What is her region? Bavaria?
The Woman was speaking Standard German of the Federal Republic of Germany Variety, while the Guy was speaking in Austrian Slang. I don't know her Region, to me she speaks plain normal Standard German without any distinct regional Colorizations.

I am aware that both are the same in essence, but they look like two different and similar languageat the same time.

Yes, Bavarian and Austrian have their Similarities. There's some Mixing with the Austro-Bavarian Language.

Transylvania Saxon remember me to Italian accent and Swiss German remember me to French accent.
Haha, must be probably the Influences of the Bilingual Speakers who may take some Colors in their Tone from the other Nationalities.

However, this could be the best German because to its poetic quality :v

Heh, I'm taking it you mean it quite ironic? xP

In Reality, this kind of German would be percieved as "Kanakensprache" [kaˈnaːkənˈʃpʀaːχə] (Language of People from mostly Turkic and Arabic Origin that sound like they come from a very lowly Class and seem to cause Trouble).

Schönbrunner Deutsch is considered to be a Sociolect of Prestige, since it had been spoken on the Viennan Imperial Court. It sounds less like Austrian German and more like German German:

Interesting to note is, that the German Language still sounds the same as over 100 Years ago. Here's an Example of Bismarck speaking:

https://youtu.be/czko31-6O8I?t=8

and here speaks Kaiser Franz Joseph I., Emperor of Austria-Hungary.

German is also good to implement Elements of other Languages, particularly Words that originate from French or English (or at least sound like they would) without it sounding too odd when switching between the different used Words and/or Languages.

Here's in Remembrance of David Cameron, who brexited the European Stage:

NoboruJun 25, 2016 1:11 PM
Jun 25, 2016 12:12 PM

Jun 2016
i speak english and german. learned german first but living in america i speak english much more often. my grammar in german is pretty bad now and i dont practice it much
Scream!
Jun 25, 2016 12:28 PM
Feb 2014
I speak fluent English, enough Korean to speak with family members, intermediate Spanish, and beginner Japanese.
Jun 25, 2016 12:28 PM

Jan 2014
I speak the language of women. Hence, the username.
Jun 25, 2016 12:32 PM
Dec 2013
indonesia, english, chinese (and several of it dialects)
Jun 25, 2016 1:33 PM

Jun 2016
English & French, maybe I'll learn a third language one day.
Jun 25, 2016 3:50 PM

Jun 2016
Russian (my native), shitty English and even more shitty German
Tharja said:
And I have a basic hold on Russian, because I am Russian.

Nice :D
Jun 25, 2016 4:36 PM

Nov 2015
Ozul said:
I speak Urdu (native language) which is mutually intelligible with Hindi, but it has a different script.
I understand Punjabi (10th most spoken language in the world, more native speakers than German or French but I doubt people know about it.)
Of course I can speak and understand English.
I can read Arabic, but I have trouble understanding and speaking it.

Aint that the story of every Pakistani ever?

Except I can speak Punjabi too. Though not too fluently because my usual conversation partners don't speak it.

I aspire to learn Persian.
Jun 25, 2016 5:00 PM

Jun 2015
xEmptiness said:
Ozul said:
I speak Urdu (native language) which is mutually intelligible with Hindi, but it has a different script.
I understand Punjabi (10th most spoken language in the world, more native speakers than German or French but I doubt people know about it.)
Of course I can speak and understand English.
I can read Arabic, but I have trouble understanding and speaking it.

Aint that the story of every Pakistani ever?

Except I can speak Punjabi too. Though not too fluently because my usual conversation partners don't speak it.

I aspire to learn Persian.

It would be quite odd if I knew Zulu or something, yes. Whatever. I don't need to learn any more languages, I already speak the lingua franca.
Jul 3, 2016 6:42 AM

Apr 2014
I take this time off (very busy days)

Noboru said:
There wasn't one German Nation, though. There were many different German ones, albeit there was a Notion of a common, German Identity. What is typically German, has its Roots in the strongest State at the End. Most of the Prussian Virtues (except for the military ones) are considered to be typically German ones.

Maybe Germany did not exist as a Political Nation (Unification) but certainly has centuries to exist as a Cultural Nation.
So you do well to say that there were several Germanies, because German culture already existed, although the German identity has been only generic.

The Prussians values may have served as the basis for Protestant Germany, especially when it was unified politically, but if we talk about the historical Germany, these values were a incorporation (not base) because the German culture existed before the existence of the "Holy Roman Empire". I think the traditional Austrian would agree with me in this, because they are not seen themselves as Germans in the sense that Prussians understand it, but they were already Germans during the "Holy Roman Empire" that they headed.

Noboru said:
Still, that doesn't mean that People from a "Warrior Nation" have to always speak agitated. There's a Difference between Wilhelm II. preparing the Germans for War and speaking about Moralities. Even Hitler did sound rather normal when speaking in private.

Well, when I say "Warrior Nation", I do reference to the Historical Nation (not the present). I agree that the possession of a military legacy no way implies to speak agitated at all times.

Noboru said:

Now I don't want to confirm Stereotypes, but there's no Way around that both German and Spanish are ideal Languages to be used on Military Parades such as as this one or this one.

haha, well I think you say that because your perception of military culture is different from mine.

This type of facets can be found in a military culture (especially in Rome and Spain)

Noboru said:
You're right, it depends on the Work. Dragon Ball (Z) is a good Series to hide the Weaknesses of a certain Accent. It doesn't seem as bad as the previous one, but still not as refined as the Spanish Dub of Metal Gear Solid, though it's not a fair Comparison if there has been put more Effort in the latter.

Well, it is natural that Spanish accent is refined in MGS because its characters are more humans. Remember that Goham is a child of "descent" Sayajin that living in the countryside. Cell is a android who wants to destroy the planet. Picoro is a "very human" alien. It would be ridiculous these characters speak with accents of Spain.

Most Spaniards hate their dubbing of DBZ.

Noboru said:
Here's the same Scene in German btw.:

I like that Son Gohan doesn't sound as much of a Woman here :p

haha......Well, who dubbing to Goham in the Spanish version of the New World is a woman, but we do not perceive it because Gohan's age and awareness of the type of voice of our women.

Honestly I do not like German dubbing of DBZ. Everyone seems to aliens who seem to have some kind of fascination for the German language
However, German dubbing of MGS is nice

Noboru said:
Ecuadorian sounds quite plain in my Ears, but it could be just my own Taste that asks for a stronger and/or more distinct Articulation, because a weak one where the Words just flow from one Ear in and to the other one out has it harder to get my Attention

It is true. The accent of West Ecuador (my region) has little force when is formally spoken. Still, its accent increases a little when talking in more informally.

Noboru said:
People from Austria and other Regions also tend to avoid using regional Words when speaking with someone from outside our own Group. Understanding works perfectly, since Standard German acts as a lingua franca (oh the Irony in the Naming) between different German Varieties, whereas the other Standard Varieties are quite identical with the German one, except that they sound a bit differently.

Same here but multiplied.
My country is one of the smallest of South America, however, is one of the countries with the greatest bio-diversity in the world. You can find beaches comparable to the Caribbean , big volcanoes, snow-covered regions, islands with giant turtles and forest as exotic as the Brazilians. That kind of difference is very common in Hispanic nations, therefore, although there may be one or two representative accents in every nation, the variety of accents is very wide.

Noboru said:
the German Language also used to be a Language of Science, Thinkers and Poets. It's still considered as such, but the Notion has decreased since WWII.
The Woman looks too artificial for my Taste, but she's easy on the Eyes. And no Wonder that Argentinian is also easier on my Ears, when Migrants from German-speaking Areas might have also influenced its Direction

Sure, when I mention about contact between nations, it was already involved various academic advantages of language. It is rare that someone studies a language that does not provide any advantage or particular pleasure, even if this is the language of neighbour.
However, highlight the German immigration, because the academic and cultural glory of a language is the glory of a day. Immigration produce new cultural seeds in the container nation and these make ties much more lasting.
I am convinced that most Non-German people who study your language are people of German descent or live in Germanic nations. Those who do not meet these conditions, in most cases, they are people who are planning to emigrate to Germany or live in countries that have much economic dependence of German market.

Honestly I do not feel artificial Ingrid Grudke's accent, although Argentines feel it different. She born and raised in Argentina but her family taught her German as mother tongue, something that was possible in her case because she lived in the countryside. Still yet, unlike the Mennonites, she was assimilated.

Noboru said:
Heh, I'm taking it you mean it quite ironic? xP
In Reality, this kind of German would be percieved as "Kanakensprache" [ka'na?k?n'?p?a???] (Language of People from mostly Turkic and Arabic Origin that sound like they come from a very lowly Class and seem to cause Trouble).

haha something like that.
I perceive the German as a language soooo serious, so it's funny to see it in that kind of songs.
I want to clarify that my problem with this type of music do not have to do with the social level but with content. Unfortunately, that kind of songs have been common currency in the Hispanic World in the last 15 years, although there are acceptable exceptions.

I guess it's not your style
Still, the standard should be the styles that follow romanticism spirit.

Noboru said:
The Woman was speaking Standard German of the Federal Republic of Germany Variety, while the Guy was speaking in Austrian Slang. I don't know her Region, to me she speaks plain normal Standard German without any distinct regional Colorizations.

I honestly a little surprised to know that she is German.
She is smiling quite, therefore is not like the Germans with whom I have discussed on the internet. Neither she fits the description that give me Hispanics (including Spanish) who have had frequent dealings with the Germans (face to face).

Noboru said:
Interesting to note is, that the German Language still sounds the same as over 100 Years ago. Here's an Example of Bismarck speaking:

https://youtu.be/czko31-6O8I?t=8

and here speaks Kaiser Franz Joseph I., Emperor of Austria-Hungary.

Interesting, especially if we consider that languages have to change as time passes.
I think with the exception of certain words, also the Spanish language remains the same because I can understand very well speeches of almost a century ago. On the other hand, Hispanics both side of the Atlantic understand very well despite almost two centuries have passed since the Independence Wars.
_Nemrod_Apr 28, 2017 1:00 AM

Jul 3, 2016 7:26 AM
Dec 2015
UpperCat said:
Mandahiling, Minang Kabau, Jawa a little bit, Indonesian and English. Yeah I have plenty and qualified to list mine here too. Still working out with my English though, can comprehend almost everything written in English and quite good at writing but not that good at speaking, cant spell one word correctly.

Hei, I'm also Indonesian and live in Java. Hehe
Jul 3, 2016 7:30 AM

Apr 2016
I speak Italian, English, learned French for 8 years or so, German (still learning), last year began studying Russian and by myself Japanese (though I only know a few things, really really few >.<)
Jul 3, 2016 7:59 AM
Oct 2013
I speak English but my native language is Arabic. I also know the basic words in Japanese.
Jul 3, 2016 11:16 AM
Feb 2011
Can freely speak in Russian, English and Lithuanian. Was also learning Italian for a semester in uni, though I barely remember anything and doubt I'd even qualify for the very basic levels of knowledge of that language.
Jul 3, 2016 11:30 AM
Mar 2011
ainu Japanese basic English[ fluancy] but have under high understanding Cantonese moderate spoken fulant when reading high level

trning self teach lao tai nom veit and Khmer
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 3, 2016 11:59 AM

Jun 2011
I can speak English which is my native language and Japanese.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2016 12:06 PM

Jun 2016
I only speak English but I really want to learn Spanish and Tagalog. I'm really disappointed my parents never taught me Tagalog.

behind these hills
i'm reaching for the heights

Jul 3, 2016 3:45 PM

Mar 2007
Swedish (Mother tounge)
English (DUH)

Some Japanese. But i'm going to Tokyo to study it for real this October
Instagram: Luzifurr
Jul 3, 2016 3:48 PM

Jun 2015
I can speak English, Arabic, Russian, Dutch and German.

Dutch is my native language and I learned Arabic and Russian from my parents.
German at school and tbh I can't even remember how I learned English.

Note: Lol you all saying you know Japanese bitch pls understanding Shounen anime conversations and knowing basic words does not mean that you speak the language.
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Jul 3, 2016 4:45 PM

Nov 2015
I love languages so much! I've been told I have an unusual ease when it comes to learning them, and I like learning them as a hobby, though I don't know many yet, I'm planning on expanding my lingual abilities :D

As for me :
-> Spanish (I'm from Argentina, so it's my mother tongue)
-> English (been learning since I was 6. I can speak fluently and been tested, my level is C1. Still studying at school)
-> Italian (my grandmother was from Sicilia, Italia!! She came to my country because of the WW2, as many others. I've been learning since I was 12. I've been tested and my level is A2. Still studying at school)
-> Japanese (not only because I want to understand anime ad manga (OBVIOUSLY), but because I love Japanese food and it's folklore and legends <3. I've been learning for 6 months now, and I can understand simple phrases and read a bit of kanji (hiragana and katakana too). I'm still learning, and on my own, but I'll begin going to an institute in 2 years, when I'm in college :) )
-> Portuguese (ok, I don't talk portuguese, but I would like to learn it in the future as I live near Brazil and I LOVE Brazilian food)
-> Latin (don't know it either, but I would also like to know because of religious matters, as well as Italian)
-> A few more I would like to learn are Chinese and Hindi, because I find Buddhism and Hinduism fascinating, though I would never stop being Catholic :)
-> I've tried French. Couldn't. Pronounce. A. Word. Right.

Here's another TED video that might help you on your language learning ;)

Jul 3, 2016 4:58 PM

Feb 2014
English
Cantonese
grade school lvl Mandarin
Engrish
Spanglish

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Jul 3, 2016 9:58 PM

Mar 2016
English is the only one I can speak totally fluently
Japanese I speak roughly like a 5-year-old, I used to be able to read and write it too but I fell out of practice and forgot a lot of my kanji
I'm also learning Esperanto, which I didn't see anyone else mention. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn languages but only speaks one as there is evidence that learning Esperanto accelerates the learning process of other languages, even if you chose not to really use it (although it has its own benefits!)

I like languages a lot and now that I'm out of school I've been hoping to have more time to devote to them.
Jul 3, 2016 10:04 PM
Jun 2013
HooHiraiBunny said:
I think this thread was already made, but I can't find it. So sorry, if it's a double thread.
Since it's an international website, I was wondering what are the languages MAL users speak and if anyone had tips to learn new languages.

As for me :
-> French (maternal langugage)
-> Tamil (maternal language)
-> Engrish (travelled a few times in UK, but I'm still learning)
-> Italian (travelled a few times in Italia, but I'm still learning)
-> Spanish (travelled a few times in Spain, but I'm still learning)
-> German (beginner)
-> Portuguese (plan to learn)

Hindi ( Primary Language )
English ( Secondary Language )
Kashmiri/Koshur ( Mother Tongue )

( Above 3 + Urdu + Few other Indian Language words ) = Mixed Language *0*
Jul 4, 2016 6:32 AM

Aug 2012
The lack of Arabic speakers here kinda disturb me.
Jul 9, 2016 4:19 PM

Dec 2012
-Spanish (Rioplatense and Standard) (mother tongue)
-English (British and American) (quite fluent)
-Portuguese (Brazilian) (not very fluent)

This is how it all begins.

My RYM|My Last.Fm|My Steam
Jul 9, 2016 11:46 PM

Apr 2016
In the words of Korben Dallas, "I only speak two languages: English and bad English."

Well, okay, I speak German, too, but I'm actually pretty rusty.
Jul 9, 2016 11:54 PM

Jul 2012
I'm super fluent in English although according to @sarroush I'm pretty shit at it still! I am also fluent in nippon, Shyriiwook and hopefully will be able to learn all the swear words in french from sarroush when i live in canadao, woo
Jul 10, 2016 12:19 AM

Jul 2016
Norwegian
English
Italian
German
Some Russian
Danish
Swedish
Jul 10, 2016 12:46 AM

Dec 2015
Japanese
English still learning (*・ω・*)
Jul 10, 2016 6:19 AM

Jan 2011
I speak German, Russian, English and French. Had Spanish classes in school for a year as well, only remember a few words or phrases though, also tried learning Danish online :'D
Jul 23, 2016 5:18 AM

Jun 2016
Hungarian(Native language)
English(Essentially second native language, been raised a bilingual)
Russian(I'm currently learning, I understand texts and conversations pretty well)
Serbian(Basically the same as Russian, I understand quite a bit)
Italian(Can adequately converse in Italian)
Japanese(Kinda the same as Russian and Serbian but maybe a bit harder still, but can also hold basic conversations, it's the one I started learning the latest after all)
Jul 23, 2016 4:19 PM

Feb 2014
Swedish (Mother tongue, but slowly degrading because I dont live in Sweden anymore)
English (Its better than my Swedish)
Danish (Meh, pretty much fluent)
Mandarin (Learning)
French (Learnt for 4 years but dropped)
Russian (Rush B Cyka Blyat)
Aug 25, 2016 1:12 PM

Jul 2009
English > 10/10 (why hello there good sir)
Indonesian > 7/10 (selamat siang kawan-kawan)
Japanese > 4/10 (baka gaijin desu)
Spanish > 1/10 (gringo)
Aug 25, 2016 2:24 PM

Dec 2009
English - my first language
Spanish - home language and what I speak with friends
Japanese - took two semesters and was actually making good progress but I haven't studied it in a while.
Aug 25, 2016 2:28 PM

Mar 2010
I consider myself fluent in English and Serbian.

Aug 25, 2016 2:53 PM

Nov 2012
1. Serbian and Croatian are my native languages (pretty much the same language)
2. English

I used to learn German for 8 years in school but forgot most of it, and I'm currently learning Japanese.
Celestial_Aug 25, 2016 3:21 PM
Come here and play with my darkness
Aug 26, 2016 2:53 PM

Aug 2016
-> Portuguese - Native Language
-> English - I'd call myself fluent because i've had English all my life and I'm capable of maintaining a conversation in English
-> Spanish - Had 3 years of Spanish and I understand it well because it's similar to portuguese, but no way i'm fluent in Spanish ahaha, I only know the basics.
Aug 27, 2016 10:38 AM

Dec 2014
As anybody here who had an intermediate/decent undertanding of English and learned everything alone in the age of 12 or less?
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Aug 27, 2016 11:41 AM

May 2015
I speak a few European languages (+basic Japanese I guess). Interested in learning Arabic but I'm not sure if I'm ever going to do it.
Feb 8, 2017 9:27 AM

Jan 2017
I speak:
German (mother language)
English
French (although not that good)
I understand people talking in Plattdüütsch (northern german dialect) but I am not able to use it correctly as it is too similar to german.
I will start learning arabic as the grammar is just amazing.

Noboru said:
I prefer "Dreiviertel Drei" over "Viertel vor Drei" (2:45), but I'll leave out "Viertel Drei" (2:15) and use "Viertel nach Zwei" instead, because it would sound too confusing.

Originally, I use it the "north-western" way. But as I live in Brandenburg for a long time now, I change it, now also saying "Viertel Drei" and "Dreiviertel Drei".
Feb 8, 2017 10:05 AM

Apr 2016
I can speak 7 languages;
Polish (National)
Russian (Medium)
German (Basic)
English (Medium)
Spanish (Basic)
Japanese (Medium)
French (Basic)
Anime List「Anime stats → Completed 1 Thousand」
Feb 8, 2017 10:34 AM

Jan 2009
insertrandomname said:
If someone said "Dreiviertel Drei" instead of "Viertel vor Drei" to me I wouldn't understand them lmao
lol, I could understand "Viertel Drei" being ambiguous when you're not used to it, but not "Dreiviertel Drei", since "Dreiviertel" is always at 45 Minutes.

zeruon said:
Originally, I use it the "north-western" way. But as I live in Brandenburg for a long time now, I change it, now also saying "Viertel Drei" and "Dreiviertel Drei".
Good to hear another one learning the right Clock! :p
btw.: What do you find amazing about the Arabic Grammar?

@Oryginalny_Nick: Speak or "just" understand?
Feb 8, 2017 11:25 AM

Jan 2017
@Noboru: The reason I came to arabic is somethin called Dual (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_(grammatical_number)). It is like plural or singular, but indicates 2 acting persons/things. It still exists in the frisian language of Sylt, arabic and greenlandic but once existed in most germanic languages. I would also learn greenlandic, but you can only learn it in Kopenhagen, so I would have to learn danish before.
Another thing: The verbs are "root-based" that means, that consonants are left the same while vocals change and additional consonants are added. I don't know why, but I like long lists of verb forms (The only reason why I kept on learning french) and arabic has a lot of different types of verb-forms.

In general: I want to learn an interesting and complicated language (which is free to learn at TU Dresden were I want to start studying next winter-semester). Arabic has also an interesting sound (including many letters I am not even able to pronounce when I want to).
Feb 8, 2017 11:52 AM

Jan 2009
@zeruon: The Dual could become handy to express Things like "we two/both of us" instead of including everyone possible in the "we" and for the ambiguous* Cases where the Verb-Agreement works different for different Languages. For Example, in the Sentence: "Neither Paul, nor Peter goes to School", using the Plural seems more common for our native Language.

* Pun intended

Is Greenlandic much different from Danish?
For me, I would be rather interested in Icelandic for its morphological Similarity (also 4 Cases + 3 Genders) and Old Norse, concerning the Northern Germanic Languages.

Are you referring to irregular Verbs like with the Germanic strong Verb?

Well, the more complicated, the bigger the Reward when you can speak it. For it will enrich your Mind with new Ways of Thinking. But keeping the Incentive and Motivation to keep learning a Language is not easy for everyone, especially when you don't have a Use for the Language.

Which Arabic Sound do you mean?
NoboruFeb 8, 2017 12:03 PM
Feb 8, 2017 12:09 PM

Dec 2016
I was highly interested in learning a lot of languages even as a younger child and I still like learning languages to keep my brain sharp.

I'm supposed to know Filipino (Mother tongue) (Tagalog/Ilocano) but I forgot it.
I supposedly was able to speak and read Turkish as a child (caretaker was Turkish) but I forgot it
Chinese - Father tongue - Mandarin & Taiwanese speak, read, and write (Though I haven't done it on paper in years) really well but I'm not sure on simplified Chinese which unfortunately is the way that most Chinese speak on the internet. (Advanced)
Vietnamese - Read and write but I can speak it but very slowly (Medium but I don't think I'd ever need to use this)
English - Spoken, read, and write (Advanced (kek my grammar is shit))
Arabic - Spoken, read, and write (Advanced)
French - Read and write but I can speak it very slowly (Medium... But I don't think I'd ever need to use this)
Hungarian - I can read it at a basic level. (Basic because I spent a semester in Hungary)
Japanese - Read but I'm still struggling to read Seinen light novels. Need more flashcards. (Basic - Medium? I might never learn how to speak it.)

I want to learn Russian next because all my favorite games are dominated by Russians or are Russian. After Russian maybe Korean or I might learn how to speak Japanese (The trifecta!). Then I might actually try to speak Spanish/Portuguese but that also might never happen.
Feb 8, 2017 12:48 PM

Apr 2016
My mother tongue is Dutch, and I'm also fluent in English. My German is not that good but I suppose I can get by if I have to. I'm currently learning Japanese. Once I've mastered that, I really plan to polish up my German, haha.
Feb 8, 2017 12:52 PM

Feb 2017
My mothertongue is Portuguese - Brazil.
English I'm able to read,+- write and speak
Spanish a little bit, is more portuñol
Me serve, vadia, me serve!
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Bougie food that sucks - Foods people think are fancy, but are actually just overrated

vasipi4946 - 13 minutes ago

1 by YAHOOGAYCHATROOM »»
11 minutes ago

» The very random (and possibly useless) knowledge thread

DigiCat - May 22

46 by Zarutaku »»
18 minutes ago

» I think zodiac signs are more real than people think ( 1 2 )

Taiyaa - Oct 13, 2023

54 by YAHOOGAYCHATROOM »»
19 minutes ago

» Is MAL dying?

TsutanaiFuun - 4 hours ago

12 by Sad »»
37 minutes ago

» What type of physical affection do you crave/Fantasize the most about?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

9 by Taiyaa »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.