Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 9, 2016 12:31 PM

Feb 2014
I feel like not a lot happened and that we could have learned about the water guy and his past, the academy, the gate, and the superpowers in less than an episode. Hopefully it picks up.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2016 3:43 PM

May 2008
It was an okayish episode, hopefully more development next episode c:
Jan 9, 2016 3:43 PM

Feb 2014
There was alot of info in this episode.
Lold at how the villain at the start of the episode just summed up the whole premise for us :D
Well the only interesting person is Water dude the other look like the typical hot headed boy and nice girl combo.
I give it a shot for now not much to choose from anyway.
Jan 9, 2016 4:44 PM

Jun 2013

Why is kid Decim here?
Jan 9, 2016 6:00 PM

Jan 2011
didn't even notice this came out yesterday

quite a large cast of noticeable Seiyuus however red haired kid is voice by the guy who does Natsu... which i can't stand especially with the same personality

to early to judge but nothing stood out besides the visuals i like how it looks (besides the backgrounds) something about the heavy dark tones
Jan 9, 2016 9:09 PM

Dec 2012
Amazing voice cast right here
I'm really digging the OST
Art looks pretty unique but the eyes look creepy sometimes :/
Metabon looks like a moogle xD
This seems pretty interesting but first ep was pretty much just an intro ep as expected
Jan 9, 2016 11:35 PM

Aug 2014
Looks promising.
Decent start. Cool character design and settings. I can't see myself not liking this.

Some things were not properly explained, but wouldn't expect them to explain em all in the first episode anyway. Will keep watching!
Jan 9, 2016 11:52 PM

Jun 2013
Typical shounen plot with buttloads of teenage angst.

Lots of supposedly "deep" inner monologue but they fell flat for me. He puts ice in his noodles because he wants to keep his heart cold and be reminded that he was neglected by his parents/guardians? Srsly? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, if that's not forced and self-inflicted drama and torment then I don't know what is.

The angst is way over the roof, they better stop this bullshit. I'll see how the story progresses but if there's too much teenage drama then I'm dropping it. It isn't the first Anime or manga series that had a protagonist that supposedly "killed" his parents or whatever.
臭い-
Jan 10, 2016 12:48 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Uhh....can't say this forced drama entertained me.....

But it wasn't boring either, so I would keep watching this.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 10, 2016 3:12 AM

Jun 2015
I have to admit that... it is quite edgy.

I don't know why they should force themselves to create a cool MC and even so, they didn't succeed.

It's 12 episodes so I'm just watching it out of curiosity.

That Arthur though...

ok :p
Jan 10, 2016 4:41 AM

Jan 2012
Bibimbapski said:
He puts ice in his noodles because he wants to keep his heart cold and be reminded that he was neglected by his parents/guardians? Srsly? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, if that's not forced and self-inflicted drama and torment then I don't know what is.

Wasn't it more because he was not used to eat hot food since he was always given cold food?
Jan 10, 2016 5:28 AM

Jul 2011
BORING BORING BORING BORING
24 MINUTES OF NON-STOP EDGINESS

The animation in the OP was so good and yet the episode looks awkward as hell, the line and drawing style isn't even the same, wtf pierrot
Jan 10, 2016 6:02 AM

Mar 2014
Gave up and bought FUNImation subscription for this and Hai to Gensou.

Bleak atmosphere, lots of pretentious dialogue from Aoto. Not sure if someone who was neglected their whole life and then killed their parents (?) would be spouting out so much pretentious dialogue. MAybe it's a way of conveying he has mixed emotions and does not know how to feel . . . I dunno . . .
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Jan 10, 2016 6:05 AM

Nov 2013
That was a fine starts. Though I think this has a potential to be a good video games rather than anime series. But I'll probably will stick with it.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 10, 2016 6:11 AM

Mar 2014
And now a look into Aoto's mind:

CRAWLING IN MY SKIN!!
-but maybe they're not . . .
THESE WOUNDS, THEY WILL NOT HEAL!!
But maybe they will . . .
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Jan 10, 2016 9:28 AM

Aug 2014
StardustNyako said:
And now a look into Aoto's mind:

CRAWLING IN MY SKIN!!
-but maybe they're not . . .
THESE WOUNDS, THEY WILL NOT HEAL!!
But maybe they will . . .

I admit this got a chuckle out of me, but with the hate edgy characters are getting you'd think they should just disappear entirely from anime.

Anyway, it was an alright episode, going to pick this up.
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Jan 10, 2016 11:50 AM

Feb 2012
Pretentious
stop try being philosophical and deep
Jan 10, 2016 12:53 PM

Apr 2010
This first episode got me. I'm very curious for what's going to happen with the boy. I guess that it was to soon to show what was going on in his past in the first episode, but this make me be more intrigue about his history. I like it.
"maybe nothing in this world happens by accident. As everything happen for a reason, our destiny slowly takes forms..." (Reyleigh, One piece)

Jan 10, 2016 2:57 PM

Apr 2011
Very enjoyable episode looking forward to more
Jan 10, 2016 6:35 PM

Jun 2012
Even though it's based of a game it seems it's going somewhere, maybe it's because the director it's from bleach and GTO like the other thread said. If the annoying CGI means the budget is spent on good action, this might come off well.
Jan 10, 2016 10:28 PM

Aug 2014
blitz_21x said:
Lol so much hate for this anime, what happened to this community? everyone becomes so negative even this is only the first episode? the story isnt that generic, mc is a killer he admit it himself, that golden hair guy trying to give driver unit seems like a bad guy gathering all adapter in a place,

plus the poet they recite in this episode is in japanese, of course it will be funny if translated in other language. just like english poem that sounds stupid if translated to other language. sigh.

i can see this anime going dark real fast, dark anime always good.

Just stop.

Divine Edge is really bad. They have cool powers, but who knows what they will use them for. This entire episode was this dudes 2deep4me past that was beat with a stick after it died in the first five minutes. Add another stylish antag crew including the fedora, and have characters that know each other explain what they are cause they have no means to provide any exposition. And constantly talk about the Gate and provide very little basis for it. If you want to shroud something in mystery, don't bring it up every five minutes. #RIP. First bad show I've seen this season, which until now has been pretty decent. I really like the OP. Assuming that is the OP as per the usual.
BlurredVision18Jan 10, 2016 10:39 PM
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Jan 10, 2016 10:33 PM

Nov 2015
Title: Divine Gate

Story: Not very much information during the first episode, but hopefully this anime expands into more than a generic "magic highschool".

Art: Awesome. The only anime this season that I can say gave a strong effort all-round in their art; the backgrounds and characters were beautiful alike.

Characters: Not much information provided so far, but it seems like the MC will be a likable character and it also seems as if there may be some good character development in store.

Music: Not much to say about background music, but the ending track was amazing and had me dancing to it during my first listening of it.

Enjoyment: Very promising, thought it was great. Runner-up for my vote as AotS.

Verdict: Awesome!
"Talent is something you make bloom, instinct is something you polish."
Jan 11, 2016 12:43 AM

Sep 2014
First thing I noticed! Natsu and Gray's VA!!!!!!!!
Jan 11, 2016 3:12 AM

Mar 2013
not bad for the first episode

good Opening song
Jan 11, 2016 4:48 AM

Mar 2015
Hmm... pretty generic straight up a game anime. I wonder how they will go from here.

Jan 11, 2016 6:36 AM

Oct 2015
Nothing much happens, but just a view on Aoto's past. So, is Aoto's brother Arthur? I wonder what made Aoto's brother to be loved more; more talented, skill? Will check out episode two to see where this goes.
Jan 11, 2016 11:59 AM

Mar 2010
StardustNyako said:
Gave up and bought FUNImation subscription for this and Hai to Gensou.

Bleak atmosphere, lots of pretentious dialogue from Aoto. Not sure if someone who was neglected their whole life and then killed their parents (?) would be spouting out so much pretentious dialogue. MAybe it's a way of conveying he has mixed emotions and does not know how to feel . . . I dunno . . .

Those were his thoughts not his dialogue. The guy emotional distance toward o most people so why would he be speaking his thoughts out loud?

Anyway not bad episode, shame once again that mostly people have know no idea edgy means and bitch about a character suffering from depression cause he has shitty life that destroy much of his ability socially interact with people. Yes MC's only allow to be braindead genki characters or bland everyman LN protags.
Jan 11, 2016 1:56 PM

Mar 2014
idk why but this shit reminds me of Hamatora.
Jan 11, 2016 2:35 PM

Jun 2012
That was terrible, still has a chance to be decent tho.
Jan 11, 2016 5:47 PM
Jul 2015
Barion-Zara said:
I thought this will be like Gate from the synopsis but it seems very different.

LOL that's an insult to Divine Gate to be possibly thought of as similar to the travesty that is gate.

I actually enjoyed the episode. I like anime with powers and the characters seem interesting.

I like Aoto....But I am more curious about the guy that was walking with the 2 girls when Aoto was talking to Akane and the other girl.
Jan 11, 2016 9:22 PM
Aug 2015
I would say it's a decent first episode, but the dialogue was pretty pretentious and distracting. I think whoever is writing this needs to learn about drama in small doses. No, scratch that. They should learn about doing everything in small doses. The weird creature following them around just because all henshin shows need one, introducing probably well over 20 characters right off the bat, giving a new meaning to denying us the phrase "show, don't tell," the laughably hot-headed main(?), ditzy girl, and brooding guy troupes being jammed in there with no subtly. Nearly everything was just me sitting there for 20 minutes laughing at scenes I was supposed to cry in or crying in scenes I was supposed to laugh in. I guess that's a typical older-style shounen for you.

I give props to the soundtrack though. I'll probably keep watching just to see where it'll go. But it depends if my mind can last through all the horrendous dialogue.

Stark700 said:

Looks like Kaworu got himself a new look.
rirururuJan 11, 2016 9:42 PM
Jan 11, 2016 11:32 PM

Jul 2015
Aoto is a fucking beast, and so is the ending theme.
Jan 12, 2016 12:34 AM
Jan 2016
What is the background song when he was having flash of his memories? ???
Jan 12, 2016 5:56 AM

May 2015
dank ost................

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Jan 12, 2016 7:25 AM

Mar 2014
It was alright but the character looks so boring
Jan 12, 2016 7:50 AM
Jan 2016
Actually got bored 8 minutes in and just cut in and out.

The dialog sounds a bit cliched and brings nothing onto the table. Gonna give it the 3 episode chance. But this seems like a mixed opinion anime for a lot of people.
Jan 12, 2016 12:41 PM

Jan 2015
decent so far. what i do like is that the mc isnt the natsu-like fire user but the cold, water user
still a bit sceptical because i want this to turn out good. the variety of characters seems appealing too. (hope they actually do something rather than be bland side characters).
hope things pick up a bit
Jan 12, 2016 6:09 PM
Oct 2014
It was an ok episode... I didn't feel too attached to the characters, hopefully it gets more intense or something grabs my attention, I'm hoping!
Jan 12, 2016 10:24 PM

Sep 2013
VeryDoge said:
But this seems like a mixed opinion anime for a lot of people.

I actually find that very surprising.

Also lol at the guys on ANN wondering how the hell the BD got so high in the Amazon ranking, one answer: the game fans. Even if they destroyed Aoto's character (the fact that he will be known in the West as that 'ice in ramen emo kid' REALLY pisses me off), most of game fans really liked the episode.
Jan 13, 2016 1:28 AM

Nov 2015
Was pretty mehh.
The narration and dialogue were just painful.
The stark dark-light contrast of the characters clash pretty bad with the background.

Not awful, but really boring.
IlyusaJan 13, 2016 1:29 PM
Jan 13, 2016 2:15 AM

Dec 2015
I liked it but I didn't love it. I think there was a lot of info-dumping in this episode, but hopefully the rest of the season doesn't go down this vein any further than here. There were a lot of character introductions, world-building, and scene-setting. Hopefully the second episode springboards off of this and we get more action.
Jan 13, 2016 11:00 AM

May 2012
Very good 1st episode. Action, dark backstory, hot green haired girl are good good
Jan 13, 2016 12:09 PM

Sep 2015
This seems promising so far, but then again, it is the first episode. But we'll see how it goes. :)
Invisible_againJan 13, 2016 12:13 PM
I turn myself invisible.
Jan 15, 2016 1:35 AM
Mar 2012
bit slow pace exposition. Interesting 3 merged worlds, academy not about battle arenas (hopefully).
Some really weird bg (eg Arthur's office), esp CG textures & harsh edges.
Shadows are so black & edgy, keeps drawing attention.
OP really cool, with this Tokyo Ghoul feel.
Aoto like holds all the edgy emo from TG on his soggy shoulders, and shares it by melodramatic monologues.
Melodrama may work after characters & events are developed, but not during character first impression.
Char designs kind of nice.
Bon must be Mashiro's true form...lol surprised myself it's the same seiyuu.
gophercgJan 15, 2016 3:06 AM
Jan 15, 2016 3:47 PM

Jul 2009
So that was ... interesting. I like the character designs and the animation but man, the main character rubs me the wrong way. Interesting setting with the people with powers and the "three worlds" though! I feel like this could definitely get good, and hopefully liking 2/3 of the main trio will be enough. Seriously though, the way Aoto (or whatever) just mopes around is really NOT appealing ... well, the ED (which I think is the actual OP) is good at least! :P
Jan 15, 2016 5:38 PM

Feb 2013
Not a bad start. I liked the storytelling style... tragic type.
Jan 15, 2016 11:12 PM

Mar 2014
Got bored halfway into the episode. Didn't even finish the episode.
Metabon was the only redeeming feature. Everything else felt so lackadaisical.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jan 16, 2016 4:07 AM
Feb 2009
Aluja said:
Silly and forced drama.

and the drama was quite bad too.
Will only watch it if next coupple of episodes have good action and comedy. But if they try to make this a serious show then they will absolutelly fail.
Jan 16, 2016 10:53 PM

Oct 2008
I don't know what to expect, but i'm pretty sure what lies beyond the Divine Gate...we won't know, cuz it's the part of the thrill that won't be unraveled.
4/5.

Jan 16, 2016 10:54 PM

Sep 2015
Well a lot of the dialogue in that episode was nothing more than pretentious drivel.

Can't see this anime being anything other than mediocre at best.
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» End of Franchise

klakson188 - Nov 24, 2021

7 by GGyouuuuu »»
May 24, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Divine Gate Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

140 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 29, 8:43 PM

Poll: » Divine Gate Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

50 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 28, 10:10 PM

Poll: » Divine Gate Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 15, 2016

134 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 27, 2:50 PM

» Didn't hate nor did I really like it

lola_ - Oct 21, 2021

3 by Br3dWinn3rs »»
Jul 1, 2022 10:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.