Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jul 18, 2015 8:26 PM

Oct 2013
Erina is pretty but SO FRIGGIN IRRITATING. I can't wait for her to find out Souma is Joichiro's son so that smug bitch is finally humbled a bit.

Cool episode otherwise. Next episode should be especially good.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jul 18, 2015 8:41 PM
Oct 2012
Inugirlz said:
Well said. You learn best from failure. Erina is just a tsundere/bitch.

I disagree. If the failure is predictable (as it was in Souma's case- both Erina and Alice knew from merely watching) then failure is really not an option.
Jul 18, 2015 9:03 PM
Oct 2010
Takuan_Soho said:
Inugirlz said:
I disagree. If the failure is predictable (as it was in Souma's case- both Erina and Alice knew from merely watching) then failure is really not an option.
How is someone else's knowledge/skill a means to avoid a mistake? If that was the case, why are there even schools in this world/setting?, they would be completely redundant.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 18, 2015 9:17 PM
Sep 2014
Oh, how I missed Shokugeki this past week... I'm so happy it's back!
I'm very glad to see Soma get some development. He realizes he doesn't know much about his own dad, and you can see that his father's visit to his residence and the fact that he was sharing info with everyone about his past made Soma feel weird. "Why didn't he tell me all this before?", "I guess I didn't know as much as I thought I did" and so on. That was an interesting phase of him to see. I'm liking this show better with every week that passes. I do wonder why Joichiro changed his last name, though...
Btw I'm not very fond of the new ED song. Wtf is that.

Jul 18, 2015 9:33 PM

Jul 2014
lol @ everyone hating the new ED, I think its pretty cute (both the animation and the song). Really digging the OP as well :> fits the show perfectly with its battle shonen vibes. It also fits the next story arc well too~ Can't wait to see the glorious, epic foodgasms animated!
Jul 18, 2015 9:35 PM

Oct 2013
Just look at this awesome manly motherfucker:

No wonder Yuuki, Ryouko & Megumi loose it and have a genie style foodgasm:

Jul 18, 2015 9:58 PM
Oct 2012
Ajunky said:
How is someone else's knowledge/skill a means to avoid a mistake? If that was the case, why are there even schools in this world/setting?, they would be completely redundant.

In this case the mistake should have been easily avoidable. Had Souma excepted his limitations from the beginning then he would have learned why his souffle was a failure from the start, but because he doesn't (at this time) respect other students, he never thought to ask.

After this mistake, and this is not a spoiler, Souma realized that he had to respect his classmates. That was a great evolution on his part. This is why at the end of the training session, he said that he recognized that coming to this school wasn't a mistake. He accepted that there is still much about cooking that he needs to learn.
Jul 18, 2015 10:15 PM

Aug 2013
So...ARRAABIAANNNNNN!~~~

So turns out Soma's dad is a big shot alumni. Kind of weird that his dad never found it appropriate to tell him. Almost a dick move really. He knows virtually nothing about his dad other than he makes good food, then forces him to this school with no idea why...and now he's just getting all of these facts thrown at him. I'm amazed he took it so well.

OP1 is still better, but I do like the second one. Sounds a bit more action-y which fits the themes of the upcoming stuff well, but OP1 is still the best. Anyone saying otherwise just has shit taste.

OP2...blew out one of my eardrums because it's so bad. Might be the worst song I've heard since Tokyo Ghoul S2 OP.

Oh Erina...if only you knew who that chef you admire so much really is...
Jul 18, 2015 10:17 PM

Mar 2014
Wow, another fantastic solid Episode!! , funny when soma was left by the buses, he and Erina complement each other, like opposites attract, lol, seems like Erina's idol is coincidentally Soma's Dad hehe, Another good reason for somaxErina pairing in the end, Soma's Dad came Back! , wow those international Recipes are really looking very Tasty except for the snake one, I wonder why Soma's Dad didn't graduate, and DadxSon shokugeki next week! Hypppee!! Overall ep 9/10
Jul 18, 2015 10:32 PM

Nov 2011
I don't think this season will cover the whole arc, I mean considering a usual cook off takes two episode, there is just no fucking way they can fit the whole tournament in just few episodes.

Jul 18, 2015 10:49 PM

Jan 2015
ThreePointer said:
This show had just about everything I liked about the series... expect the ending sequence. While I like the heavy shounen feel from the new opening, the ending theme looks like a character specific song (I hope).

Oh yeah. It was indeed a character specific ending! HOPEFULLY they will have a different ending showing other character's each week. But I don't like the fact that they decided to use Nao first, since her character wasn't properly presented in the anime, and those who haven't read the manga won't emphatize with her yet.

Yeah, the vocals were off, but it's most likely the seiyuu singing in character. I was delighted with the ending, but I must admit that the first one is still my favorite.
Jul 18, 2015 10:58 PM

Jun 2008
Holy shit, who gives a fuck about the OP and ED....seriously....like 100 comments about it.

There was a lot more interesting things going on in the episode especially Souma's dad.

And he had some sort of relationship with Erina!

Oh god.....can't wait to see if and when she finds out...
Jul 18, 2015 11:02 PM

Feb 2013
i'm not really feeling the new songs. the old ED was one of the few that I listened to every time for both the music and the title sequence. RIP

anyway, this show never disappoints and i was still pretty stunned with where the plot went. i understand how it can be about "typical" and i also would have preferred to see souma as a "rags to riches" character as opposed to a "from royalty" character. but that would probably be less believable considering how good he's supposed to be - it's a part of his character and it drives the show. as for his dad being "world famous" and having connections, it's been heavily foreshadowed since the beginning. the fact that they even went into detail to show souma being overwhelmed by the revelations is something i can appreciate.

every show has its flaws, but considering how strongly presented this has been up till now, i think it'll be able to keep up the momentum. in spite of them. if the only thing i can dock it for other than the new songs is "shounen writing", then it'll easily end up with a 9 or 10 from me.

i've been let down before though...
Jul 19, 2015 12:12 AM
Oct 2010
Takuan_Soho said:
In this case the mistake should have been easily avoidable. Had Souma excepted his limitations from the beginning then he would have learned why his souffle was a failure from the start, but because he doesn't (at this time) respect other students, he never thought to ask.

After this mistake, and this is not a spoiler, Souma realized that he had to respect his classmates. That was a great evolution on his part. This is why at the end of the training session, he said that he recognized that coming to this school wasn't a mistake. He accepted that there is still much about cooking that he needs to learn.
I still think it's wasn't easy to avoid, quite the contrary in fact. A wrong perspective can be highly pernicious, meaning hard to notice till it blows in your face.

Souma's initial perspective is an issue of immaturity, in some aspects he behaves as a kid... which is expected with teens, since we don't really mature all at once. (Of course, Souma might be a bit more immature overall than you average teen, but that's besides the point)

Anyway, similar to how it happened here, kids and teens need at times a light to medium shock to understand the error and dangers of their ways. You can warn them all you want, but they sometimes have to learn the hard way. This might even be the main reason Souma's father sent him to this school.

So I would say it was practically unavoidable for him. Or as my argument goes, he needed this wake up slap. I think the fact that he changes so much after the event supports this.

The irony is that Erina also has little to no respect for her fellow students... perhaps her case is even worse than Souma's, as he would at least respect them as people, when not as chefs. For Erina, people and chefs seems to be the same thing (I wonder what she thinks of customers... appreciative apes perhaps?)
AjunkyJul 19, 2015 12:16 AM
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 19, 2015 12:41 AM
May 2015
Damn, I didn't think ending 2 was that bad, I actually enjoyed it.
Jul 19, 2015 12:52 AM
Jun 2015
yhunata said:
ani12 said:

I think they will not be able to cover up that much....probably next season

hmmm...that was pretty interesting but

Jul 19, 2015 2:52 AM

Aug 2013
Senpai_Ochinchin said:
Lucasloco91 said:
Spice is a lot better than this new shit ...
But, OP 2 > OP 1.

Lol am I the only one that actually likes this new ED?

I liked the first ED but it was a bit annoying towards the end. 2nd is just plain weird. I don't even know if I like it or not yet. I have to hear it a few more times I think...
ittou_shuraJul 19, 2015 3:05 AM
Jul 19, 2015 3:43 AM

Sep 2014
Well ED 2 was made especially for this show , but singer is wat.

Inui Hinako's character is great xD

New characters in OP and ED.. And "Spot the main character" annoys me so much :|

I Expected dad and son to fight
Jul 19, 2015 5:00 AM

Jan 2014
Hmm a new OP and ED.. i don't know, i think the first OP and ED were better.
So my suspicions were right, the demon was Jouichirou. Now let's see how how much Souma has grown.. if at all :3
Jul 19, 2015 5:01 AM

Apr 2011
ani12 said:

All in all, I hope we don't get a rushed Election arc. This is easily the best arc in the series, it deserves to be properly adapted. The most I can hope for right now is to have the anime end at the end of the quarters, then have the semi-finals and the finals as high-budget OVAs, a for the semis and one for the final.

Ajunky said:
I still think it's wasn't easy to avoid, quite the contrary in fact. A wrong perspective can be highly pernicious, meaning hard to notice till it blows in your face.

Actually, it was very easy to avoid. Soma himself knew of the nature of the souffle, but he was too engaged in it to bother about the nature of the buffet. In general, Erina is wrong, as Soma himself proved in the very first episode, however in this case (and this alone),this is not a mistake that Soma should've committed in the first place.
yhunataJul 19, 2015 5:04 AM
Jul 19, 2015 5:19 AM
Jun 2015
yhunata said:
ani12 said:

All in all, I hope we don't get a rushed Election arc. This is easily the best arc in the series, it deserves to be properly adapted. The most I can hope for right now is to have the anime end at the end of the quarters, then have the semi-finals and the finals as high-budget OVAs, a for the semis and one for the final.

Ajunky said:

Actually, it was very easy to avoid. Soma himself knew of the nature of the souffle, but he was too engaged in it to bother about the nature of the buffet. In general, Erina is wrong, as Soma himself proved in the very first episode, however in this case (and this alone),this is not a mistake that Soma should've committed in the first place.

yeah, that will be great if the ovas are done, but there is no way such a huge arc will be rushed...
Jul 19, 2015 6:57 AM

Dec 2013
The perfect reveal. Jouichirou casually cooking up a feast in the Polar Star kitchen. Fumio's like "This is the former 2nd Seat of Toutsuki's Elite Ten". Everyone's already going "Wow", then Soma drops the "Dad what the heck are you doing here?", and everyone be like 0_o!

The new OP was interesting, a good reminder of what is to come, though if they do animate everything they showed, this show is gonna be rushed like a mofo. The hope is that they get past the prelims, and then Gin just explains about that certain visual eye-candy from the OP instead of actually throwing us to the finals in 9 episodes. Then we can hopefully get a second season or something (this show deserves one).

Personally,

Hoping for the Karage arc after the result of Jouichirou vs Soma. No need to rush this show. It's popular enough to warrant a second season.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 19, 2015 7:03 AM
Jun 2015
L-Ryoshi said:
The perfect reveal. Jouichirou casually cooking up a feast in the Polar Star kitchen. Fumio's like "This is the former 2nd Seat of Toutsuki's Elite Ten". Everyone's already going "Wow", then Soma drops the "Dad what the heck are you doing here?", and everyone be like 0_o!

The new OP was interesting, a good reminder of what is to come, though if they do animate everything they showed, this show is gonna be rushed like a mofo. The hope is that they get past the prelims, and then Gin just explains about that certain visual eye-candy from the OP instead of actually throwing us to the finals in 9 episodes. Then we can hopefully get a second season or something (this show deserves one).

Personally,

Hoping for the Karage arc after the result of Jouichirou vs Soma. No need to rush this show. It's popular enough to warrant a second season.

yeah, that's a pretty good idea of the moon being explained.makes sense...

however

Jul 19, 2015 7:59 AM

Dec 2013
WTF SOUMA'S DAD IS OP AS FK WTF WTF WTF.

Yeah. About to get rekt Souma.

I wonder how Erina knows Souma's dad 8)

5/5. So happy this show is back. Yus!
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Jul 19, 2015 8:12 AM
May 2015
This animes really awesome. I hope they do make a second season 25 episodes is not enough.
Jul 19, 2015 10:01 AM

Apr 2011
ani12 said:

El_Senpai said:
This animes really awesome. I hope they do make a second season 25 episodes is not enough.

This season has 24 episodes, not 25.
Jul 19, 2015 11:25 AM
Sep 2009
So Nakiri happens to be big fan of Souma's dad... well she sure is up for a surprise when she finds out that her most hated person is her most fave chef's son XD
Jul 19, 2015 5:12 PM

May 2015
Great episode. Erina a cutie <3. Alright new OP and meh new ED. Looking forward to next episode.

Jul 19, 2015 6:19 PM

Jul 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
Inugirlz said:

An option? As if people plan to make mistakes. That's why it's a mistake. The story even went out of its way to explain how Souma made such a mistake in the first place, he's talented but inexperienced. He's never had to work with people who don't eat his meals immediately. So basically you're saying that anyone who comes from Souma's background (special of the day restaurant--or any restaurant really) can't or shouldn't make it in the business because they made a mistake based on ignorance? He's a kid at school. You learn at school. Mistakes are permissible.

Besides he didn't actually fail, he caught his slip up and did something amazing. Erina just has a stick up her ***
Jul 19, 2015 6:56 PM
Oct 2012
Inugirlz said:
he's talented but inexperienced

Yes, and when you are inexperienced you should seek out those who know more to learn from them, at, perhaps, a school.

That was Souma's weakness from the start, he had an arrogance based on ignorance that limited his cooking. He thought there was nothing to learn from the school, it took him until the 13th episode to admit that he needed to learn a lot more.

Losing to Shinomiya and more importantly to Megumi (had Souma cooked they would have been expelled, Shinomiya is far Souma's superior, Megumi's talent and personality in cooking was what saved them), humbled Souma. Learning that his father also attended the school has humbled him even more.

Inugirlz said:
So basically you're saying that anyone who comes from Souma's background (special of the day restaurant--or any restaurant really) can't or shouldn't make it in the business because they made a mistake based on ignorance?

That is a strawman argument. I never said anything about Souma's background. Souma's fault isn't from his origin, it comes from his arrogance. This show has shown that many scion from elite restaurants fail as well. Souma's second fault was that he was "food" oriented, not "customer" oriented. He doesn't bother to think of the people who eat his food, he just wants his food to dominate them (and if you watch episode 2 in this context, Erina's rejection makes far more sense, there was nothing kind in Souma's dish).

In this episode the Dorm Mother told the father "you now cook with kindness". This is the key to the whole series (and harkens back to the first episode when his father tried to tell Souma the same lesson). Kindness is the consideration of the other, it is thinking about how the customer will enjoy the food. Had Souma thought about this just a little he would have avoided his mistake (remember the setting, there were over 150 other chefs in each room, that alone should have been enough for Souma to realize that people wouldn't be waiting for him to cook).

This is why Erina is currently head and shoulder's above the other chefs. Being the ultimate consumer, she always thinks about her customers. Now of course Erina has her own weaknesses, she is probably too customer oriented to be truly original (this is the point about Souma and the Father obsessing over horrible dishes, Erina would never be capable of such a mistake, but those "mistakes" are where new tastes come from), and ultimately this will be the lesson she learns from Souma, and which will make her a better chef.

I am trying to thread the needle here because I don't want to say that mistakes are bad, but the context of where the mistakes are made are what make them bad. One should not make a mistake in front of the customer, testing in a familial setting (such as the Polar Star Dorm) is something different.

Inugirlz said:
Besides he didn't actually fail, he caught his slip up and did something amazing. Erina has a stick up her ***

He was lucky, he only managed to get his last dish with under 30 seconds to go. That, as Erina said, is not something to be "proud" about. Had only one customer dithered, he would have been expelled. And considering how much Souma needs to learn before he achieves his goal, that would have been catastrophic for him.
Jul 19, 2015 8:26 PM

Mar 2015
Not sure how I feel about the new op... it'll take a few episodes for me to form an opinion one way or another.
Seems like I'm going with the majority when I say I don't like the new ending. Spice was so fantastic and I was sad to see it go to begin with, but now that I don't like the new one it makes it that much worse. I was tempted to skip it... and I never skip songs. The fact that Erina was featured prominently made it even worse in my eyes. But that's all just opinion.
Anyway, fun ep. Soma's dad gives me life. Also is it bad that I thought he was really attractive (when he was young, too). Lol when the girls were fawning over him I was like "same"
Really wondering why Erina knows him tho. And why he didn't graduate?
elfprincess99Jul 19, 2015 8:36 PM

Jul 19, 2015 8:55 PM

Sep 2013
This is the best and strictest school in the world.
Like in real high class kitchens, any new no name chef that messes up gets send packing, no time to deal with failures.
They had time to study and an all that, Souma is just lucky that he caught on in time and that he's next to Erina with her massive crowd.

Th ed is cute and passionate, people have no idea of what's good these days.
Jul 19, 2015 9:34 PM

Jul 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
Inugirlz said:
he's talented but inexperienced

Yes, and when you are inexperienced you should seek out those who know more to learn from them, at, perhaps, a school.

That was Souma's weakness from the start, he had an arrogance based on ignorance that limited his cooking. He thought there was nothing to learn from the school, it took him until the 13th episode to admit that he needed to learn a lot more.

Losing to Shinomiya and more importantly to Megumi (had Souma cooked they would have been expelled, Shinomiya is far Souma's superior, Megumi's talent and personality in cooking was what saved them), humbled Souma. Learning that his father also attended the school has humbled him even more.

Inugirlz said:
So basically you're saying that anyone who comes from Souma's background (special of the day restaurant--or any restaurant really) can't or shouldn't make it in the business because they made a mistake based on ignorance?

That is a strawman argument. I never said anything about Souma's background. Souma's fault isn't from his origin, it comes from his arrogance. This show has shown that many scion from elite restaurants fail as well. Souma's second fault was that he was "food" oriented, not "customer" oriented. He doesn't bother to think of the people who eat his food, he just wants his food to dominate them (and if you watch episode 2 in this context, Erina's rejection makes far more sense, there was nothing kind in Souma's dish).

In this episode the Dorm Mother told the father "you now cook with kindness". This is the key to the whole series (and harkens back to the first episode when his father tried to tell Souma the same lesson). Kindness is the consideration of the other, it is thinking about how the customer will enjoy the food. Had Souma thought about this just a little he would have avoided his mistake (remember the setting, there were over 150 other chefs in each room, that alone should have been enough for Souma to realize that people wouldn't be waiting for him to cook).

This is why Erina is currently head and shoulder's above the other chefs. Being the ultimate consumer, she always thinks about her customers. Now of course Erina has her own weaknesses, she is probably too customer oriented to be truly original (this is the point about Souma and the Father obsessing over horrible dishes, Erina would never be capable of such a mistake, but those "mistakes" are where new tastes come from), and ultimately this will be the lesson she learns from Souma, and which will make her a better chef.

I am trying to thread the needle here because I don't want to say that mistakes are bad, but the context of where the mistakes are made are what make them bad. One should not make a mistake in front of the customer, testing in a familial setting (such as the Polar Star Dorm) is something different.

I see what you're saying with your analysis, he definitely has some arrogance issues but given the time frame everyone had to come up with dishes for this task and the competitiveness i don't really agree with what you said earlier here

Takuan_Soho said:
Had Souma excepted his limitations from the beginning then he would have learned why his souffle was a failure from the start, but because he doesn't (at this time) respect other students, he never thought to ask.After this mistake, and this is not a spoiler, Souma realized that he had to respect his classmates. That was a great evolution on his part

its not like he could just go up to others and ask them what he should do when they had their own dishes to think about. Also its not like Souma completely looks down on everyone else at this point either, its because he respected Megumi that he ended up helping her with the whole Shinomiya thing after all. But you're right during this part of the story he isn't (or at least hasn't) gone out of his way to ask others for help/opinions (unless its to try one of his nasty dishes).

What I understand from what you're trying to say is that while mistakes aren't bad, his timing of having the mistake was what was inexcusable. But i still think that's too strict an assessment on both yours and Erina's part. True, its bad to make a mistake in a professional setting in front of guests but its not like he served anyone bad food--at least we didn't see anyone take one of his deflated souffles (he just ended up wasting a lot which he apologized for, oh god the wasted food T-T)

Also the "anyone from Souma's background" argument i was making came from when you said "If the failure is predictable (as it was in Souma's case- both Erina and Alice knew from merely watching) then failure is really not an option."

Basically what I got from that msg was that since elites like Erina and Alice caught the mistake (presumedly because they are less ignorant and not from Souma's background) anyone could catch it making it something "predictable" as you put it and therefore not an option. But Souma is a transfer student that doesn't even know basic terminology and stuff they learn in class. He doesn't have the same background and is technically handicapped compared to everyone. Given this knowledge i don't think he deserves such harsh ridicule especially when he overcame this hardship. his innovative talent has saved him thus far. Which brings me to this comment you made:

Takuan_Soho said:
He was lucky, he only managed to get his last dish with under 30 seconds to go. That, as Erina said, is not something to be "proud" about. Had only one customer dithered, he would have been expelled. And considering how much Souma needs to learn before he achieves his goal, that would have been catastrophic for him.

Given all his handicaps and the fact he was able to think of an excellent plan in such short time, it really IS something he should be proud of. Not only did he entertain his guests therefore promoting himself in their minds of many potential customers/businesses (as seen even with the gramps who want him to use his eggs later down the line) but he also made a pressure test even more intense by having to rush at the end yet he still passes. Imagine if he had the idea to promote his food near the beginning by catching his mistake earlier, how many dishes would he have given out then? Would it still be inexcusable that he made the mistake even though he caught it earlier? No one told him his mistake, he figured it out on his own. hE really has learned from his mistake and won't do it again. All this is something even Erina probably realized and instead of praising him she just continues to put him down (because she's a tsun tsun).
InugirlzJul 19, 2015 9:43 PM
Jul 19, 2015 10:40 PM
Oct 2010
Takuan_Soho said:
Souma's second fault was that he was "food" oriented, not "customer" oriented. He doesn't bother to think of the people who eat his food, he just wants his food to dominate them (and if you watch episode 2 in this context, Erina's rejection makes far more sense, there was nothing kind in Souma's dish).

Curiously enough, and unlike with many other of his dishes, for the test dish on the 2nd episode he was thinking about Erina... about how to make her acknowledge that a diner doesn't necessarily serve bad food (he got riled up by her himself).

Of course, when it comes to kindness, it kinda went to the opposite side. He could instead have asked her what type of dish she would like, and then shown her that someone from a diner could also prepare more "sophisticated" dishes, as per her preferences.

Erina still didn't have a good reason to reject him though. The dish was undeniably good, and for all she knows (and expects), he could only make diner dishes with confidence. It should have been obvious that with his skill and talent he could become a great chef in that school (his disregard for the school wasn't evident till he made the speech at the entrance ceremony).
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 20, 2015 12:51 AM

Dec 2012
This episode is really good, I like the change of atmosphere when his father arrived. New Op is good but I prefer the first, but the new Ed is too weird.
Jul 20, 2015 7:01 AM

Aug 2013
Souma's dad is such a Dilf ;) Omg I'm dying of his sexiness xD
Jul 20, 2015 7:43 AM

Aug 2013
Good episode, but increasingly I beginning to think that a good part of the plot can be skipped ..
Jul 20, 2015 7:50 AM

Nov 2011
Souma can casually challenge his father before this all but now that he know what kind of chef his father is, being challenged by him kinda wanna make you shat brick.

Jul 20, 2015 12:00 PM

Dec 2014
The Fate reference in the OP was pretty sweet.

Lol, so Erina has a thing for Soma's dad. That's quite unexpected. The cliffhanger only made me wish we had back to back episodes this week. Dammit, this sucks.
Jul 20, 2015 2:19 PM

Jun 2013
KaiserNazrin said:
I don't think this season will cover the whole arc, I mean considering a usual cook off takes two episode, there is just no fucking way they can fit the whole tournament in just few episodes.

The opening hints otherwise though. I riot if they do it regardless.
Jul 20, 2015 2:40 PM
Oct 2010
yhunata said:
Ajunky said:

I missed this reply earlier...

Obviously, you're free to disagree, but the way I interpret his mistake is not that he missed thinking about the circumstances of the buffet out of distraction, but rather cause he wouldn't bother considering that anything could be outside his area of expertise (the diner). Takuan_Soho says that it was cause he is normally focused on making an innovative dish without regards to who is going to eat it and how. Either way, it's a problem with his mentality, making it a rather pernicious problem, as I previously said, instead of a simple slip.

In a way, it was similar to Nikumi's inability to make a proper rice bowl cause she was dismissive of that type of dish.

The way Souma acts after the test would suggest that this failure was a big deal for him, but maybe I'm just overthinking the whole affair.
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 20, 2015 4:17 PM

Feb 2013
I seriously Can't wait for the moment Erina Finds out that he is his dad xD Will be such a funny moment
Jul 20, 2015 4:48 PM

Jun 2013
Jōichirō Yukihira is such a fucking badass. Souma is nowhere near his level. I truly hope Erina doesn't end up with Souma, I can't help but think back to when Jōichirō told Souma to find a woman he wants to cook for forever. I want that girl to be Megumi.

Erina is awesome but I like her as a bitchy character only not as a love interest.

Anyway Isshiki walking around in the house buck naked with a former 2nd seat lol.
臭い-
Jul 20, 2015 5:20 PM
Oct 2012
Ajunky said:
Curiously enough, and unlike with many other of his dishes, for the test dish on the 2nd episode he was thinking about Erina... about how to make her acknowledge that a diner doesn't necessarily serve bad food (he got riled up by her himself).

That is not "thinking of the customer", that is the very opposite.

Go back and watch the animation. I checked the manga as well. The sequence of events are not what people remember.

Souma started things off by disrespecting her (including putting his hand on her shoulder). He then arrogantly boasted he would pass her exam without knowing what the exam was.

That was when Erina noticed that he was from a diner. Now most people think that she automatically looked down on him because he was from a diner, but the writer did something clever: she never actually said it aloud, so Souma started cooking without the motive you ascribe.

Then Erina was interested in what Souma was cooking, and Souma again mocked her (remember she is the test giver, he really was lucky she didn't fail him at that point, any other chef would have already (imagine Shinomiya)). It was only after Souma said it was Furikake Rice (which is what you serve children), that Erina turned away and said "you really are a chef from the base". That was the first time she actually said anything negative to him.

But note: had Souma said something that sounded good, Erina would not have condemned him from being from a diner. When he said transformation, she turned back ready to give him another chance, but then he gave something that looked like crap.

People misconstrue Erina here. It was his arrogance and ignorance that she disliked, that he was from a diner for her explained HOW he could be so arrogant and ignorant, but this is very different than thinking it was because he was from a diner. She doesn't seem to have any issue with chefs from even poorer backgrounds than Souma

But even then, she was still willing to taste the dish. And though she had written him off as being uncouth and base, she was still about to pass him.

Then Souma had to belittle her again. That was when she failed his ass.

Again, this was where the writer's greatness shines through: it wasn't Erina that looked down on Souma, rather it was Souma who looked down on Erina (and the school) first. The writer used those other "rich boys" (who by the way all failed) to predispose us into thinking that Erina was just like them. So that is why we sympathized with Souma even though, if one thinks about it, he was the hideously rude one. Souma went in thinking everyone at the school had no taste, that they were all pampered rich people, and they got in because they were rich. He has since learned otherwise.

Edit: In reviewing for this post I found a certain page. I like it because it really really shows that the writer knew what he was doing from the start (and over 2 years into the future). Fourth issue, 7th page

Love good writers.
Takuan_SohoJul 20, 2015 5:31 PM
Jul 20, 2015 5:54 PM

Nov 2008
Dam is this New ED a reference to Corpse Party? xDDD

I'm sure everyone will start to appreciate this ED once the stalker girl is introduced xDD

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jul 20, 2015 6:10 PM

Jun 2014
I'm surprised Souma didn't know much about his father. I can't wait for the cooking contest, that dish in the preview looked great.

Draknalor said:
I seriously Can't wait for the moment Erina Finds out that he is his dad xD Will be such a funny moment

^ hype
Jul 20, 2015 9:43 PM
Oct 2010
Takuan_Soho said:
Ajunky said:

That is not "thinking of the customer", that is the very opposite.

Nope, not in the technical sense, but I was just playing with concepts there. I see you skipped the very next line I wrote after that. You're taking my statement out of context.

Perhaps my paragraphs were not well made, but you're still misquoting, and misinterpreting me, which I don't quite appreciate.

Takuan_Soho said:
Souma started things off by disrespecting her (including putting his hand on her shoulder). He then arrogantly boasted he would pass her exam without knowing what the exam was.

That was when Erina noticed that he was from a diner. Now most people think that she automatically looked down on him because he was from a diner, but the writer did something clever: she never actually said it aloud, so Souma started cooking without the motive you ascribe.
I watched it again and certainly, Souma didn't hear Erina's opinion. She did look down on him cause he was from a diner though, even if she didn't voice it at first. In her inner dialogue she refers to diners as "the bottom feeders of the world", what else is she attributing this to if not that? cooks who don't know her? cooks who act too friendly? if anything those are even more derogatory (and unlikely) assumptions that judging his background.

Anyway, I also noticed Souma was crass but not arrogant or as immature as I first concluded (I watched very carefully this time). The choice of dish was then simply something he had confidence with. He continued being crass, but I don't see other chefs failing him for that, even Shinomiya, who had a proper food related reason for everyone he failed/fired. Shinomiya is a sensible chef, not a teen with more authority than he can responsibly use. Besides, the situation was different from the camp, he wasn't told to behave like an employee here, but to make a dish that "impresses her palate", which he did.

He did get sanctimonious at the very end, after receiving several snide comments. I will still say it was an abuse of authority to fail him there. Without finding a reason she simply lied and said the dish was bad.

Takuan_Soho said:
He then arrogantly boasted he would pass her exam without knowing what the exam was.

That's wrong. Erina stated clearly what the exam was about before the two interacted (it's what caused the 99% desertion). Souma knew perfectly well what the test was about by the time he spoke up, and the first think he said/asked was if there weren't any more restrictions.

Takuan_Soho said:
People misconstrue Erina here. It was his arrogance and ignorance that she disliked, that he was from a diner for her explained HOW he could be so arrogant and ignorant, but this is very different than thinking it was because he was from a diner.
Ignorant maybe, but she couldn't tell he was arrogant at this point (just confident, or boastful, negatively put), not till she tasted his food, and she couldn't find anything wrong with it when she did.

And on account of the boasting, what was he supposed to say? "I'm not confident, but could you taste my food anyway?". He would have been kicked out right away... or maybe lectured first, but still kicked out.

There are only two things she can get mad about at the beginning, his being too friendly with her when she is not just a stranger but the examinator (as crass as it gets), and not knowing who she is. Neither is a reason to form a preconception about his cooking.

Sorry to say this, but I think you are the one misconstructing both Erina and Souma.
Friedrich Schiller
Jul 21, 2015 9:26 AM

May 2010
New OP and ED! Would have preferred if they kept the previous ED, gotten too attached to it. Actually, the OP, too. Previous one was better. The newer one doesn't fit the tone of this show. The new ED is still better than the new OP. What name though, "Sacchan no Sexy Curry" I have this feeling that it is not going to be the permanent end. Probably Megumi will get her own ED song *fingers crossed*

Looks like Megumi and Souma's careers are secure, happy for them.

It was expected that Souma's dad is a big pond fish. Still, it was executed nicely.
Jul 21, 2015 9:27 AM

Jul 2009
Holy crap, the week break just goes to show how much I missed this show :P New OP and ED! I liked the new OP but the ED ... is kind of creepy? D: Like what the heck lol stalker much >_< Who's Sacchan??? O_O
Interesting, so the alumni can recruit students from the training camp too ... but obviously the main part of this show is Yukihira's dad! Looks like everybody (EVEN ERINA!) has quite the crush on him ... that'll be a surprise for her :P So he was a Polar Star alumni too ... and second seat of the Elite 10! :O Dang lol, seems like he was pretty close with Gin. Plus he changed his name so I guess that's why nobody realized he was Souma's dad ... and he didn't graduate either? Hmm ... dang, he's a way cooler character than I was expecting XD Plus yeah he was a total bishie when he was younger :P
Anyway COOKING BATTLE BETWEEN THE FATHER AND SON!!! Then we'll have the Autumn selection too ... this next arc should be good :D
Jul 21, 2015 12:31 PM

Jul 2008
I liked everything, except the new ED. The voice is so bad...Spice was very catchy and I never skipped it because I love listening to it.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2015

423 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 20, 5:16 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2015

196 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 20, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

233 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 20, 4:16 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2015

188 by Yiuumii »»
May 20, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2015

171 by Yiuumii »»
May 20, 12:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.