Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Aug 24, 2015 10:21 AM

Apr 2015
I watch it when im feeling like i cant be fucked to read
Aug 24, 2015 10:40 AM

Mar 2014
NipahAllDay said:
Sors said:
Fuck dubs, with all their shitty Amurican voice cunts.
Buzz off weeb.
The only person here who needs to buzz off with his stupid buzzwords is you. Disliking dubs does not make one a weeaboo
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 24, 2015 10:42 AM
Jul 2018
There are a lot of anime where I think the English dubbed version is superior to the Japanese.
Aug 26, 2015 8:48 PM

Dec 2014
Comic_Sans said:
NipahAllDay said:
Buzz off weeb.
The only person here who needs to buzz off with his stupid buzzwords is you. Disliking dubs does not make one a weeaboo
Tbh most people who do hate dubs are weebs. So please stop defending idiots plz.
Aug 26, 2015 9:12 PM

Aug 2015
Trying to explain why subs are superior to dubs is just so cringe worthy. I mean I don't always choose dubs but I don't think it would be any worse if I did. There are plenty of very talented English voice actors that can do just as well if not better in some cases, than the original Japanese actors.

As I've said before, some shows I prefer subbed and others dubbed. To try and say one is always better or worse than the other is just silly.
"How can we go on a quest to regenerate the world if we can’t even save the people standing right in front of us?!" -Lloyd Irving, Tales of Symphonia
Aug 26, 2015 9:22 PM

Aug 2015
Every quality anime worth watching has a good dub with quality voice actors anyways.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2015 9:34 PM

May 2015
Lemongrope said:
Zalis said:
Sure, there are some French animated features, but since watching those dubbed in English is no different from watching anime dubbed in English, why bring up "art house French films" at all if you aren't trying to draw a contrast between them and anime for the purpose of making people defend watching live-action films dubbed?

You said it yourself. My purpose was to get people to own up to defending watching Western animation subbed but watching anime dubbed, because I have a sneaking suspicion that people are far more comfortable watching animation from a culture they were familiar with in subtitles just because there is something there to ground them compared to anime where things are different from the Western norm to differing degrees.

do the people who watch french cartoons in sub actually really watch japanese cartoons in sub tho

are the majority of MAL users people who watch french cartoons subbed or something? This seems like a question for a specific bunch of people. why didn't you just say "dubbed people who watch subbed cartoons of other languages, why is anime different" or something.

No need to be vague with it yo
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Aug 26, 2015 9:38 PM

Nov 2010
Kaze-Kami said:
Every quality anime worth watching has a good dub with quality voice actors anyways.
Lol
Aug 26, 2015 10:10 PM

Mar 2014
NipahAllDay said:
Comic_Sans said:
Tbh most people who do hate dubs are weebs. So please stop defending idiots plz.
And you base your experience on what? Flame wars in the Youtube comments section? This is MAL, and the tiny amount of weeaboos that actually visit the forums is a piss in the sea compared to the people who dislike dubs and aren't pedophilic japanophiles. The "All people that hate dubs are weebs" mentality is just an excuse for allowing oneself to be willfully ignorant
Kaze-Kami said:
I see, that must be why Mawaru Penguindrum had such a terrible dub
Comic_SansAug 26, 2015 10:13 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 26, 2015 10:31 PM

Dec 2014
[quote=Comic_Sans]
NipahAllDay said:
Comic_Sans said:
"And you base your experience on what? Flame wars in the Youtube comments section? This is MAL, and the tiny amount of weeaboos that actually visit the forums is a piss in the sea compared to the people who dislike dubs and aren't pedophilic japanophiles. The "All people that hate dubs are weebs" mentality is just an excuse for allowing oneself to be willfully ignorant"

You do know MAL is a very popular site, it will attract many anime fans including weeaboos. What make MAL comments any different from Youtube comments? From what I have seen, it's as bad as People arguing about Dub vs Subs on youtube. True, not liking dubs doesn't automatic mean they are weebs, but I still fail to see why they have to complain about dubs in a dub forum? Weebs has a habit of doing it as well, so I trust on my instincts.
Aug 26, 2015 10:32 PM

Apr 2014
Basically when I found a good anime that I didn't watched before. (To save time.)
And when I'm re-watching anime. Also just finding out how bad or good the English Dub version is.
Haters always gonna hate.
Aug 26, 2015 10:37 PM

Mar 2014
[quote=NipahAllDay]
Kaze-Kami said:
You do know MAL is a very popular site, it will attract many anime fans including weeaboos.
Weeaboos who don't visit the forums, or at least aren't forum regulars
What make MAL comments any different from Youtube comments?From what I have seen, it's as bad as People arguing about Dub vs Subs on youtube.
People here usually have a slightly larger IQ than the toddlers in the Youtube comments
True, not liking dubs doesn't automatic mean they are weebs, but I still fail to see why they have to complain about dubs in a dub forum?
How do you know that they don't complain in the French The Simpsons forums or the Spanish Futurama forums about those dubs and say that "The English version is much better"?
Weebs has a habit of doing it as well, so I trust on my instincts.
Go back to the Youtube comments, child
Nico- said:
Aug 26, 2015 10:43 PM

Dec 2014
[quote=Comic_Sans]
NipahAllDay said:
Kaze-Kami said:
You do know MAL is a very popular site, it will attract many anime fans including weeaboos.
Weeaboos who don't visit the forums, or at least aren't forum regulars
What make MAL comments any different from Youtube comments?From what I have seen, it's as bad as People arguing about Dub vs Subs on youtube.
People here usually have a slightly larger IQ than the toddlers in the Youtube comments
True, not liking dubs doesn't automatic mean they are weebs, but I still fail to see why they have to complain about dubs in a dub forum?
How do you know that they don't complain in the French The Simpsons forums or the Spanish Futurama forums about those dubs and say that "The English version is much better"?
Weebs has a habit of doing it as well, so I trust on my instincts.
Go back to the Youtube comments, child

Generally speaking, most anime dubs is more well know in English. From my experience MAL is the equivalent to every other anime community. MAL isn't better. Do you have a statistic for proving weebs doesn't go to MAL? I fail to see your point.
Aug 26, 2015 11:05 PM

Mar 2014
Generally speaking, most anime dubs is more well know in English.
And so the sub purists shouldn't be allowed to bash dubs? Because they are more well-known? That's just plain ridiculous
From my experience MAL is the equivalent to every other anime community. MAL isn't better. Do you have a statistic for proving weebs doesn't go to MAL?
Nowhere in my post did I state that weeaboos don't visit MAL. I said that there are very few japanophiles that are forum regulars
I fail to see your point.
It should be obvious what my point is
Nico- said:
Aug 26, 2015 11:15 PM

Dec 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Generally speaking, most anime dubs is more well know in English.
And so the sub purists shouldn't be allowed to bash dubs? Because they are more well-known? That's just plain ridiculous
From my experience MAL is the equivalent to every other anime community. MAL isn't better. Do you have a statistic for proving weebs doesn't go to MAL?
Nowhere in my post did I state that weeaboos don't visit MAL. I said that there are very few japanophiles that are forum regulars
I fail to see your point.
It should be obvious what my point is
I get it, but your reason wasn't executed properly. Tbh tho, I can't say I'm any better or you wouldn't be hostile for a stupid reason.
Aug 26, 2015 11:19 PM

Nov 2013
Dubs are okay sometimes.
Aug 26, 2015 11:23 PM

Apr 2014
Disonata said:
Dubs are okay sometimes.

Not for my national/local language version. It's shit!
Haters always gonna hate.
Aug 26, 2015 11:39 PM

Dec 2014
JaviKreyn said:
I don't, but subbed anime is not always a walk through the lollipop kingdom, I tried to watch Tatamy Galaxy english subbed and becouse they talk so fast it's almost impossible to follow, also I'm not english native, so...

In the other hand looking down all the time is just annoying, you lost part of the visual experience, even Hithcock said once he prefered dubbed. The only problem is that english dub suck really hard, and in spanish is even worse.
disagree
Aug 27, 2015 12:35 AM

Mar 2014
NipahAllDay said:
I get it, but your reason wasn't executed properly.
It was
Tbh tho, I can't say I'm any better or you wouldn't be hostile for a stupid reason.
My reasons aren't stupid
Nico- said:
Aug 27, 2015 12:58 AM

Apr 2015
most dubs are not as good as the japanese but honestly code geass eng dub is good
Aug 27, 2015 3:23 AM

Dec 2014
Comic_Sans said:
NipahAllDay said:
I get it, but your reason wasn't executed properly.
It was
Tbh tho, I can't say I'm any better or you wouldn't be hostile for a stupid reason.
My reasons aren't stupid
yes
Aug 27, 2015 3:46 AM
Feb 2014
Only if a show deserves one and usually it does pay off because it was the right one to begin with.
Aug 27, 2015 3:47 AM

Mar 2014
NipahAllDay said:
Comic_Sans said:
It was
My reasons aren't stupid
yes
No
Nico- said:
Aug 27, 2015 5:11 AM

May 2013
Because they are better quality most of the time.
Aug 27, 2015 5:23 AM

Feb 2013
DrCoppelius said:
I only do dubbed sometimes but:

Lemongrope said:
Is authenticity and having the correct intonations and pacing to match the mood not important to you?

Authenticity is overrated for the most part. Anime have Japanese voice actors because anime is made in Japan. The Japanese doesn't necessarily have to do with matching the mood so much as it is an obligation for the most part. There's nothing wrong with that, but in cases like Baccano!, Panty & Stocking and Space Dandy, English may in fact be more suitable.

I don't know what you mean by correct intonations and pacing. English voice actors can be good too.

Does the weird contrast between cultural cues and language not bother you?

The ones I listen to don't usually have these cultural cues. Just because anime is Japanese doesn't mean it has to center itself around Japanese culture and setting at all times.
this guy gets it ^

a good example of when Dubbed makes more sense is; Hellsing ultimate,
makes more sense that they speak English with English accents
Aug 28, 2015 5:33 AM
Jun 2015
Mostly because it's easier to understsnd and follow. Most of usually would watch stufff in our known native touge and mail language.
Aug 28, 2015 6:11 AM

Apr 2015
if im feeling to retarded to read
Aug 28, 2015 6:49 AM

Aug 2015
Because when I always have to read the subtitles, I often miss out on details on screen. Also, if I just want to quickly grab my drink or snacks, I almost certainly miss out on a line because I don't always pause it for 3 seconds. it's annoying.
But I don't mind subbed either. I watch both - depending on what I find first.
Aug 28, 2015 6:57 AM

Nov 2010
I don't, I'm not a loser.
Aug 28, 2015 7:07 AM
Aug 2015
Xarvyn said:
I watch dubs because I don't want to keep looking down my screen.

i feel the same way
Aug 28, 2015 7:14 AM

Nov 2011
Because Goku's original voice is annoying.

Aug 28, 2015 7:29 AM
Apr 2010
People usually watch dubs because they can't keep up with the text.
Aug 28, 2015 7:36 AM

Jan 2015
I think Borat shood do some dubbing with Japanimations for the glory of Kazakhstan
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Aug 28, 2015 7:42 AM

Sep 2014
If I wanted to read something I'd go with a book over a TV show as they always have more detail. I watch TV to not focus on reading and just sit back and let the show suck me in. I think most dubs I've watched are good and only watch so much anime, so it's not really an issue.

Add me on League of Legends: BigT - NA Server
Aug 28, 2015 7:44 AM

Mar 2014
BigT232 said:
If I wanted to read something I'd go with a book
Not this shitty excuse again

When will people learn that reading a book and watching a foreign movie with subtitles are two completely different things?
Nico- said:
Aug 28, 2015 7:49 AM

Sep 2014
Comic_Sans said:
BigT232 said:
If I wanted to read something I'd go with a book

When will people learn that reading a book and watching a foreign movie with subtitles are two completely different things?

Not really an excuse, it's the truth. I have a back catalog of books to read and when I feel like reading I grab a book. If I want to watch something I do so in English because that's how I enjoy watching TV/movies.

Aug 28, 2015 7:57 AM

Mar 2014
BigT232 said:
Comic_Sans said:

Not really an excuse, it's the truth. I have a back catalog of books to read and when I feel like reading I grab a book. If I want to watch something I do so in English because that's how I enjoy watching TV/movies.
Nigga, I've watched foreign movies with subtitles and read books since I was in preschool. Reading books and watching subtitled movies ARE two completely different things. How many non-English movies with subtitles have YOU watched? 5? 10?
Comic_SansAug 28, 2015 8:05 AM
Nico- said:
Aug 28, 2015 8:10 AM

Sep 2014
Comic_Sans said:
BigT232 said:
Nigga, I've watched foreign movies with subtitles and read books since I was in preschool. Reading books and watched subtitled movies are two completely different things. How many non-English movies have YOU watched? 5? 10?

First off, I'm white. Second, I've watched a handful of non-English movies and didn't enjoy the experience. Third, what's your point? I watch/read/play/do what I enjoy. I enjoy Star Wars, I watch/read/play a lot of Star Wars stuff. I enjoy League of Legends I spend a lot of time playing and learning more about it. I like swimming so I swam competitively for 11 years. My point is that I spend my free time doing stuff I enjoy and one of those things now is watching anime dubbed. I've tried subbed but couldn't get into it.

Aug 28, 2015 8:15 AM

Aug 2015
Because sometimes I want to see the official traduction or to view better the action because it have no subtitles to read.

And then either it is funny to hear the voices of the comedians in the role of some characters, or sometimes the voices are very well to them.
Aug 28, 2015 8:16 AM

Mar 2014
First off, I'm white.
Don't care, it's just an expression
Second, I've watched a handful of non-English movies and didn't enjoy the experience.
But how many?
Third, what's your point?
That the "If I wantd 2 read id read a book lol xD" argument is just a lazy excuse for one's willful ignorance and should never be used in any sub/dub debates because it's illogical
Nico- said:
Aug 28, 2015 8:17 AM

May 2013
cuz I'm a filthy casual :P

In all seriousness English is my mother tongue. I'd rather watch things in English. Simple as that.

Not got a problem with subs though.
Aug 28, 2015 8:21 AM

Nov 2014
Another problem with dubs is that they often dilute and Westernize the dialog. Take Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood, for example. When I started this series, I switched between the dubbed and subbed versions to see which one I'd prefer. In doing this, I noticed that the dubbed version downplayed Edward's views on religion. It made him sound more like a skeptic, as compared to the subbed version that made him sound like a full-blown atheist. Dubbers will change the tone and even the entire personality of a character to cater to Western audiences.
Aug 28, 2015 8:27 AM

Sep 2014
Comic_Sans said:
First off, I'm white.
Don't care, it's just an expression
Second, I've watched a handful of non-English movies and didn't enjoy the experience.
But how many?
Third, what's your point?
That the "If I wantd 2 read id read a book lol xD" argument is just a lazy excuse for one's willful ignorance and should never be used in any sub/dub debates because it's illogical

Sorry you can't accept my "argument" which isn't even an argument but it's what I do. Didn't realize doing what oneself enjoys doing is being ignorant. Guess I better stop playing The Witcher 3 since I'm not doing so in Polish and stop watching anime because I'm not watching it in Japanese.

It's ignorant of you not to be able to accept that not everyone enjoys visual media such as TV/Movies/Games in it's native tongue and would rather watch it dubbed in their own native tongue.

Aug 28, 2015 8:36 AM

Mar 2014
BigT232 said:
Sorry you can't accept my "argument" which isn't even an argument but it's what I do. Didn't realize doing what oneself enjoys doing is being ignorant. Guess I better stop playing The Witcher 3 since I'm not doing so in Polish and stop watching anime because I'm not watching it in Japanese.

It's ignorant of you not to be able to accept that not everyone enjoys visual media such as TV/Movies/Games in it's native tongue and would rather watch it dubbed in their own native tongue.
It's not the fact that you watch movies/TV/Games in English that irritates me the most. It's the fact that you think reading a book and watching a subtitled movie are the same thing that bothers me
Comic_SansAug 28, 2015 8:41 AM
Nico- said:
Aug 28, 2015 10:37 AM

Aug 2014
If it's more western focus or I'm just watching it for the entertainment. It doesn't take much effort to read subs but slightly more than to just listen. Hellsing, bebop, baccano and FMA are all shows that I just want to enjoy and keep my eyes glued to the full screen.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Aug 28, 2015 10:59 AM

Jul 2012
Sometimes the dubbed version sounds better.
Aug 28, 2015 11:05 AM

May 2013
aikaflip said:
Another problem with dubs is that they often dilute and Westernize the dialog. Take Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood, for example. When I started this series, I switched between the dubbed and subbed versions to see which one I'd prefer. In doing this, I noticed that the dubbed version downplayed Edward's views on religion. It made him sound more like a skeptic, as compared to the subbed version that made him sound like a full-blown atheist. Dubbers will change the tone and even the entire personality of a character to cater to Western audiences.

True, change is disliked by many, but I often find that change is for the better and greatly improves the experience :)
Aug 28, 2015 11:25 AM

Mar 2010
I hate people who ask this. The reason is because im not some sort of elitist who is obsessed with all things Japan. I speak English so and I don't feel like having to focus on subtitles if I don't need to. One last thing, there are plenty of really good English voice actors too. :/
Aug 28, 2015 5:38 PM

May 2014
It depends entirely on whether the characters and/or setting are Japanese or Japan-inspired fantasy.

If it does, not viewing it in Japanese causes a weird disconnect.

However, if it's not, then it doesn't matter. Hell, for some shows it makes less sense to watch it in Japanese. I'm big on "Use the language the characters speak" in media, a lesson America has for the most part learned (older movies had everyone no matter where they were from speak stupidly accented English), but Japan has not. I makes no sense for the characters in Baccano, for instance, to speak Japanese, they're American, we should hear them speaking English.

Likewise, wouldn't it make more sense if everyone in SnK or FMA spoke German, since they ARE German?
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Aug 28, 2015 7:45 PM

Aug 2015
So I can be doing two things at once - like tidying my room or doing chores at the same time - and don't always need to watch/read subtitles. I can turn by back for 3 seconds and not miss a big plot point.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is good animation?

LenRea - Yesterday

9 by LenRea »»
2 minutes ago

» What's the Most Cringeworthy Anime Dub You've Ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - 9 minutes ago

0 by Gashadokur0 »»
9 minutes ago

» Has a canon ship ever ruined a show for you?

Dragevard - Yesterday

23 by LoveYourSmile »»
13 minutes ago

» Do your irl friends watch anime?

coolyfruity - 8 hours ago

15 by Coaghim »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » A question, what is worse when it comes to a bad anime

Dillq24 - 2 hours ago

11 by Anjuro »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.