Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 10, 2012 5:20 AM

Jun 2011
beautiful
sasuga Midorikawa, Yuki
Mar 10, 2012 10:35 AM

May 2010
As expected, it's pretty similar to Natsume Yuujinchou + great romance.

Beautiful indeed. I wished it was longer though. :(

9/10
Mar 10, 2012 11:33 AM

Apr 2007
I figured it was going to end that way ;__; I'm surprised it was because of a random boy though.

Really beautiful movie. I just wish Gin removed his mask more often, even though he probably had the same expression on most of the time. I hate masks.
Mar 13, 2012 10:29 AM

May 2009
What I Loved More Was Monet And His Paintings You Can Find In That ARTWORK That Explains Totally How BEAUTIFUL Monet ART Is And Obvious A Lot Of other Artists Good At Showing Nature Like That

Mar 13, 2012 1:39 PM

Aug 2011

In the end, this OVA did nothing for me. It wasn't bad, nor was it good. Maybe if the ending had been better it would get an higher score.
5/10 changed to 6/10
Tiago97Mar 13, 2012 3:29 PM
Mar 13, 2012 2:00 PM
Sep 2009
I have to agree with last comment. Art was good, characters enjoyable, but him dying after touching some random boy... well, that was weird. Good movie nevertheless.
Mar 16, 2012 11:54 AM

Dec 2009
i m kind of glad that Gin disappeared because of a random child in the end, and not because he wanted to touch hotaru or vice versa which i expected in the beginning. the movie was really beautiful ;_;
I believe in karma what you give is what you get returned~ ♫
Mar 18, 2012 4:10 AM

Feb 2010
this movie is wonderful and heartwarming
but i wish a happy ending,this ending made me cry ;_;
qetou said:
I have to agree with last comment. Art was good, characters enjoyable, but him dying after touching some random boy... well, that was weird. Good movie nevertheless.

yeah dead like that is so weird....O_o

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Mar 18, 2012 2:41 PM

Apr 2009
I don't know why but I wished Gin let that kid fall, he'll just get normal scrapes or bruises, just like normal human kids or even yokai for that matter but no, now we get this...sniff. sniff. The build up of the tension through the years between them got to me and I almost cried at the end. 9/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 18, 2012 8:31 PM

Oct 2011
That was soooo Amazing!! it was so happy and sad! I smiled then cried at the end! :')
Mar 19, 2012 8:54 AM

Oct 2010
what weird way to die... she was aware that was the last time they where going to talk and all, but dying because of a random boy was a major let down
huh?
Mar 21, 2012 2:37 PM

Jan 2012
I think it was truly beautiful =) I'm glad I watched it ;D
Even though the ending was really sad... and yeah dying like that... is not really good...
Mar 25, 2012 5:26 AM

Sep 2008
I don't watch anime to make my day crappier. This made my day crappier.

I'd give this some really low score, but it was too high quality for that so I'll stick it with a 7 and be done with it.
Mar 25, 2012 7:54 AM

Aug 2009
I'm heartbroken. I'm seriously heartbroken right now. But it ended perfectly. Unlike a lot of other anime, it didn't try and mask (haha, I made a pun) the sad ending. But because of that, I cried like I cried at the end of AnoHana. I just... I don't even know what to say about it. I've had it saved on my computer since it came out, but I only just now got around to watching it. I wish I had watched it so much sooner.

It's been a long time since I've rated something a 10/10 but I really think that this deserves it.
Mar 28, 2012 1:54 PM

Feb 2009
Gosshhhhh !!!

TT_TT

I CRIED.
This made me cried.

For it was such a platonic love.
And yet so heartbreaking.

I did not expect their love to end this soon, I had a picture of Hotaru growing older and older and one day, became an old lady, but still, they were in love, or something like that.

Oh
But I really wonder, when did Gin start having feelings for Hotaru?
I know I'm not supposed to think of it this way, but was Gin secretly a Lolicon? haha( laugh out of sadness )

The positive thinking part of me tells me that he wasn't.
He sure had known her since she was very young, but they didn't start out as a brother and sister in the first place, but more like friends with huge age gap.
So I guess it's fine if that was friendship turning into love.

Awwwww

I've just realized myself just now!
I need more heartwarming animes !
Mar 28, 2012 11:09 PM

Aug 2011
ok, this was the only shoujo i actually liked. i cried like a baby omg.
Mar 29, 2012 12:00 PM

Feb 2009
OK
I just kinda rewatched this
and...

I think Gin might have already fallen for Hotaru since their first encounter.
He gave me such vibes.

I guess Gin really didn't understand human growth ( just like when he 'noticed' that Hotaru'd gradually become an adult female. Like, girls aren't supposed to grow into women, from his point of view. )

SO !!!
He WASN'T a lolicon, then.
haha
Apr 3, 2012 6:58 AM

Oct 2010
My god. Hotarubi is very beautiful, I almost cried at the end.
I was sad because he was too short.
Gin But I was fortunate to have at least hugged Hotaru, after all was what he always wanted, right?
So pretty! Exciting! Perfect.
Watching the movie reminded me a lot of anime Natsume Yuujinchou, by the way is great.
~
Loved! ♥
Apr 3, 2012 8:49 AM

Jun 2009
This is short but damn, it was one hell of a bittersweet experience. I was thinking what would I do if the one I love will die if I touch her...
Apr 4, 2012 12:46 PM

May 2008
This was incredibly sad. I cried so hard :(
Apr 4, 2012 1:27 PM

Feb 2010
Wow. That was magical and beautiful + so purely romantic. <3

I cried a little at the end, so moved!

9/10
Apr 4, 2012 5:29 PM

Apr 2012
This was so AWESOME, as expected. I read the manga for a long time ago und cried at this chapter, and again, I CRIED HARD. Expecially at the hug.
GIN WHY DID U HAVE TO DIE? T__T I can really recommend this movie.
Apr 5, 2012 6:58 AM

Jun 2011
wow!! just wow!!!
i started watching it because gin looks like natsume.
i almost cried when he gave her the mask and kissed her i found it really sad. then he had to touch a human and die. wow this is second anime that made me cry (first is clannad). i never thought i'd actually cry that was surprising.

10/10 recommended this movie is really entertaining and sad :'(
Sora-KasuganoApr 6, 2012 12:26 AM
Apr 7, 2012 5:37 PM

Mar 2012
It was a short movie, but I thought the length was perfect. It didn't feel like a major rush or feel like something was cut off; the creators really made good use of the time and made everything really well paced, considering they covered years of story in 40 minutes.

Man, I didn't think a 40-minute movie would make me cry, but I ended up crying bucket-loads. Everything was so subtle, yet everything made such an impact.
Apr 13, 2012 2:45 PM
Feb 2012
I loved the film, the ending was a stab in the heart though :(

By the way, I'm looking to cosplay as Gin. The apparel isn't hard, I'll succeed in that, but I can't find his mask, or a blank mask I can paint. Any help on where to find one? Please?

(If I'm not allowed to ask about cosplay in this thread, sorry!)
Favorite quote of all time:

'Nagisa, I’ve found it. I finally found it. Something only I can protect. A precious treasure only I can protect. It was right here. Right in front of me…all along…' - Okazaki Tomoya
Apr 15, 2012 8:15 AM

Sep 2007
So beautiful yet so sad.

"I'll never ever forget those golden summer days".

Apr 18, 2012 5:52 AM

Nov 2008
That was really cute. I haven't watched this sort of simple and heartwarming story in a long time, I'm really glad to have picked up this movie.
And like Ghibli's movies, it is also an eulogy of nature, it makes me want to be in summer. Especially since it's desperatly rainy in Paris ;_;
Apr 21, 2012 10:14 AM

Jan 2012
this anime just soooo GREAT!!!
long time didn't see anime just like Hotarubi no Mori e, and after see this
I CAN'T SLEEP TODAY!!!
>.<
Apr 21, 2012 11:48 AM

Mar 2012
Its short but its nice!
Just B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L~
xD
Apr 22, 2012 8:22 AM

Apr 2009
The fuck?

Am I the only guy who thinks this is overrated?

Definitely do not think this deserves its top 25 or even top 100 or 200 place. Half, no the entire thing was damn flash backs, and dat accident-ending, smh, smh. Sorry, but while it did peak my interest with Brains Base working behind it and its oddly short length, I'm not moved, I'm not touched, and I'm certainly not about to shed any tears for this whimsical, sappy romance.
Apr 23, 2012 11:32 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah, definitely overrated. I mean it was good but not top 30 quality by any means. Didn't make me cry or feel too much unfortunately, maybe I'm the odd one here though.
Apr 28, 2012 9:10 PM
Oct 2011
just watched it and i have to say....

im still fucking crying not just a little but a lot i didnt want gin to dissappear TT^TT such bittersweet love story they should have made it longer but then i would probably even cry worser either way that was a 10/10 for me
Apr 29, 2012 8:07 AM

Aug 2011
Beautiful... :')

11/10
May 1, 2012 10:25 AM
Jul 2010
Takumaku said:
The fuck?

Am I the only guy who thinks this is overrated?

Definitely do not think this deserves its top 25 or even top 100 or 200 place. Half, no the entire thing was damn flash backs, and dat accident-ending, smh, smh. Sorry, but while it did peak my interest with Brains Base working behind it and its oddly short length, I'm not moved, I'm not touched, and I'm certainly not about to shed any tears for this whimsical, sappy romance.

You are making it far worse then it is. I think it deserves an 8. And yes, it ahd the flashback setup but so? What is your point? The movie was about their encounter, so it's all in a past tense so really what the fuck are you getting at?

That ending was indeed a big letdown, but it shouldn't be a reason to bash on it so much. This is a movie that let's you enjoy the relaxing vibe and the cuteness that goes along with it. Let's face it, this is just a slice-of-life kind of movie, and this is normal for it.

I think it deserves a 7/10 or my preference a 7.5/10.

But oh well, it was a good watch.
May 1, 2012 2:14 PM
Feb 2011
I’ve been anticipating this ever since it was announced and I have to say that it didn’t live up to my expectation, the animation was beautiful indeed but that’s the only good thing about the movie in my opinion and I know this differs for each person.

I thought that the emotions weren’t transferred as well as it did in the manga and the last scene (When Gin disappeared) I think they could’ve done it much better, the ending felt somewhat rushed...

I guess since I read the manga and knew how it would all play out, so I probably expected something much more but I guess I didn’t get that nevertheless it was a good movie and I’d give it a rating of 7/10.

This AMV had more impact on me than the movie itself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPWwI34Qt4o
May 8, 2012 1:06 AM

Nov 2011
That was short and sweet. The ending came out of nowhere and hit hard...followed by that beautiful ending theme.

And the cute and playful young Hotaru reminded me of Ushio
May 10, 2012 5:01 AM

Jul 2008
Uwaaa.... just have seen this movie, so sad, so short...
I cried like a kid... I hope the manga go further, I want to know if Gin was really disappeared é_è
May 11, 2012 8:24 AM

Jul 2010
No, this is too much...

Wonderful.
May 11, 2012 12:13 PM

Jul 2011
I'm BAWLING... so sad. :/
May 13, 2012 1:32 PM

Aug 2011
I expected that ending and it came out nicely =) A good short movie!
May 18, 2012 6:51 PM

Mar 2011
so short yet so sweet
May 22, 2012 6:24 AM

Mar 2010
It was too slow paced for me, I prefered manga. But still ending theme was beautiful and story as well. So I don't regret those 45 minutes. It's a shame that they had to part but at least they did it with a smile :)
Sorry for my English ^^' If you notice any mistakes, please tell me about it ^^ Thanks for corrections ^^
May 22, 2012 4:52 PM

Jun 2009
Beautiful and nice paced story. Loved development of their feelings and beautiful ending theme.
Jun 2, 2012 9:05 PM

Nov 2008
To be honest i was bored at the very beginning, but slowly when the romance kicked in, that was when i started enjoying the movie. Teared at the end.. :'( Beautiful.

However the ending was too sudden. Was hoping more.
Jun 11, 2012 3:07 AM

Feb 2008
I thought it was okay. I'm pretty sure my experience with anime like this ruined it for me, as it was sort of obvious from the beginning that Gin was going to disappear somehow. So I was a bit disappointed in the dialogue (a bit corny at times) and really the event that made Gin disappear (Gin made sure not to save her when she was a kid, but he grabs a random boy?). It had the potential to be better in my opinion. And it certainly wasn't bawling or made me teary like other anime.

Now that the nitpicking is out of the way, I really liked how the story was told, through a memory. We also see from the very beginning and very end (in the present) that she's still her cheery self, and the experience with Gin was sad yet not something she regrets. Even though I said I predicted the ending, it was the progression of the story that I thought was done well. In the very beginning, I began thinking that this cannot possibly turn into a romance, and if so how would they do it? Furthermore, it's pretty stupid for a middle/high school girl to play around with a spirit so I thought after a couple of years she wouldn't go back there during the summer and the story somehow takes off from there.

But then it did turn into a romance, and I love how the relationship builds up over time, making what I original thought was ridiculous become something completely natural. And that's probably what I think is the main selling point of this movie for me - changing the way I see things, not an easy feat. Instead of imposing ridiculous romance scenarios onto us like some anime do, Hotarubi no Mori gradually leads me to believe this can actually happen. It's very magical how you can have a convincing fantasy like this, and then have unrealistic "slice of life" anime.

The hug scene was the best, and I love the camera movements. A kiss might have been better like some suggested, but the simple hug keeps the innocence of the relationship that started when she was six.

I think I'll give it 7/10, and revisit it a month later to see if it's memorable or I've forgotten about it.

(Rotating Signature | Member Cards are fun~)

[Notes on Signature]124 - 172 KB, Width: 140px

Jun 15, 2012 6:17 PM

Feb 2009
What I really like in love stories is simplicity, heart and realism, and this one, had it all. Not to mention its very pleasant atmosphere and beautiful art.
Jun 17, 2012 8:47 PM

Jul 2010
Omg.Its hard to describe how i loved every second of it.One of warmest animes i've ever seen.I felt incredible watching it...and ending made me shed tears.

Amazing, 10/10.Too bad its only 40min...
Jun 23, 2012 11:30 PM

Aug 2011
I bawled so hard. I wish it could have been longer...

And FUCK THE STUPID HUMAN BOY.
Jun 24, 2012 5:31 AM

Aug 2011
This anime was beautiful, I can't say I didn't shed a few tears. The ending was kind of obvious, but I hoped that somehow the girl became a ghost as well.

I hope the little boy dies a horrible death
Jul 1, 2012 2:08 AM

Jul 2009
Wow, this was simply amazing. Very nice story combined with this feeling that only Natsume Yuujinchou can give.
It was a lot like Natsume Yuujinchou, the art and music was similar. But honestly that wasn't bad because I liked it it very much.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Your thoughts?

WannabeWeeb_ - Aug 10, 2021

9 by Dawizz »»
Jan 4, 3:01 AM

» Why does the girl doesn’t look that upset?

Sincere_T_ - Jun 12, 2020

9 by Dawizz »»
Jan 4, 3:00 AM

» How did you feel at the end of the anime ? ( 1 2 3 )

Galaxy__ - Mar 3, 2016

122 by Dawizz »»
Jan 4, 2:58 AM

» Any Anime which ends in 1 eps and in 45 mins (like thus one)

WVM - Nov 29, 2022

19 by yvonness »»
Nov 18, 2023 3:07 AM

» Any rumored/known reason why it hasn't been licensed in North America?

Lolicon - May 8, 2022

0 by Lolicon »»
May 8, 2022 10:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.