Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 27, 4:04 PM
Aug 2020
it was a great episode

he is getting stronger...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jan 27, 4:06 PM

Mar 2020
Damn. Amazing episode!
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Jan 27, 4:15 PM
Oct 2022
Feels like things have really started now.
Jan 27, 4:16 PM
Oct 2019
The fight against the snake was really cool, some things changed, but I think it was good too
Jan 27, 4:17 PM

Sep 2023
Another great episode, it's impressive how much stronger Jin-Woo has gotten just by clearing one dungeon. It's nice to see how much more confident he is getting by finally being able to kill some monsters. Sword drop.
Jan 27, 4:17 PM

Apr 2022
damn i gotta admit jin woo's va keeps killing it and that short art style change for a second was neat.
Jan 27, 4:52 PM
Jan 2021
anime ni keren habis anjayyyy
Jan 27, 5:00 PM

May 2021
Can someone please tell me what happened in this episode? First 300 posts weren't enough...
Jan 27, 5:08 PM
Jun 2019
Reply to IzanaSolos
Jinwoo's first real fight as he starts leveling up on his own.

Venturing into an instance dungeon with the subway station as its entrance, Jinwoo defeats monsters one after another, leveling up along the way. As he progresses, a long staircase leading deeper underground appears in Jinwoo's path. Stepping down to the lower level, Jinwoo arrives at a decrepit and rusted platform. There, a colossal serpent awaits him, towering above. To leave the dungeon, he must defeat the colossal serpent, and so the showdown between him and the serpent begins.

It still bugs me, even in the anime, that Jinwoo went off to prioritize dungeon crawling instead of, you know, checking up on his traumatized healer friend first, or even his own mother. We're getting more Joohee content, which is great because, if I recall correctly, we don't see much of her after the first dungeon for a while. But man, A-1 really nailed this episode. I always had my worries about Solo Leveling getting an adaptation, considering how Japan handles Manhwas, but A-1 seems to genuinely care. From the animation to the soundtrack, everything was perfect. Even the mini golem "fight" was well done. Thank you, A-1. This is everything I could have wished for.

Back then, Jinwoo couldn't even beat a boss, and now he's defeated two in one day.
@IzanaSolos hes got his own shit to deal with , especially considering that he just recovered
Jan 27, 5:23 PM

Sep 2007
Not sure I understand and/or remember the explanation of why and/or how that sword got into his inventory.... I thought he'd pick up & use one of the fallen Goblin's swords...*shrug*

Also was so weird to see his super muscular arm (particularly when we see that side view of him and the camera pans up) even though the rest of him was the same. lol....? I think that particular "shot" I'm going to blame it on the "camera angle".....cuz it seemed fine from the back?

And c'mon jinwoo....I really think you should put some stat points in something besides strength.....(too soon? idk...)
IkanoJan 27, 5:26 PM
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jan 27, 5:25 PM
Jan 2017
Reply to Ventus_S
Yeah, after ep4 I think it's safe to drop this show now since there's no interesting plot left for the show , because it'd follow a super predictable plotline from here.

Our mc, Kirito at home, master Jinwoo has shown to become this op competent guy now in a spam of 1 day combat and a few days of training cuz he has higher stat now :>
All his past harsh experience of failing to fight a Goblin is only because he lacks the stat, not because he never use his brain or hone his combat skill.
It's all because he lacks the stat that he failed so miserably in the past :>

Anyway, kinda lose interest in the story already. Wish those who stay enjoy the animation.
@Ventus_S Man, I feel as the same as you. Really was hyped up when the anime adaptation was announced because, well, the manwa is pretty good. But now I'm seeing this I feel pretty disappointed because there's nothing that hold me to continue the watching. I feel it very slow, the animation is pretty mid (I'm not saying that it suck but in my opinion for the fame that Solo leveling has they should had be doing something better and original. With this animation levels it feel like every other fantasy genre anime when the artworks in the manwa are way better). But I have a say that goes: "Once I've started something I gotta finish it". So I hope that at the end I'll change my mind
Jan 27, 5:26 PM
Jan 2017
Reply to Ventus_S
Yeah, after ep4 I think it's safe to drop this show now since there's no interesting plot left for the show , because it'd follow a super predictable plotline from here.

Our mc, Kirito at home, master Jinwoo has shown to become this op competent guy now in a spam of 1 day combat and a few days of training cuz he has higher stat now :>
All his past harsh experience of failing to fight a Goblin is only because he lacks the stat, not because he never use his brain or hone his combat skill.
It's all because he lacks the stat that he failed so miserably in the past :>

Anyway, kinda lose interest in the story already. Wish those who stay enjoy the animation.
I'm having troubles with the browser hahah
Albr3xJan 27, 5:31 PM
Jan 27, 5:29 PM

Nov 2023
The fights in this episode were fun to watch, especially the boss fight as he literally killed it with his two hands.

Jinwoo has clearly gotten stronger and his appearance is also changing as he levels up.

Oct 2016
Jesus Christ, they really went nuts with the animation.
Mar 2021
keren cuy ularnya sama actionnya mantap sangat sun jiwo
Jan 27, 5:53 PM
May 2020
Seems like your average self-insert fantasy. Wins against the boss after a self pep talk, pretty weak stuff.
Jan 27, 6:00 PM

Jul 2016
Fight against the Serpent Boss was cool. Rest of the episode was filled with the most generic shit I have seen in years. God was it embarrassing.
Jan 27, 6:03 PM
Feb 2021
Did they change the name of the serpent from red to orange? Why?
Jan 27, 6:05 PM

Oct 2021
Why doesn't he use the title? Is he dumb?
Jan 27, 6:11 PM
Aug 2022
Icl I had literally 0 hype for this show, the only reason I decided to watch it is because much like chainsaw man I knew if I didn’t watch it while it was airing I would never watch it.

But god dam I gotta say this shows been incredible so far. It’s like a better version of sword art online. I really like the mc a ton so far and the whole plot is really cool and the monsters have great designs.

Not to mention the fight against the snake boss was animated beautifully and wasn’t inconsistent at all.

This Is definitely one of the better shows this season imo
Jan 27, 6:13 PM
Apr 2023
It really is the start of it all.
Looking forward to his progress in animated form like how it was in the manhwa 👌
Jan 27, 6:19 PM
Jul 2023
all these people writing/typing essays while im just gonna say "its the best anime this season"
Jan 27, 6:20 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Despite being a manhwa reader of this series I forgot this part of story and that was a blessing since I could enjoy this as if I were 1st time Solo Leveling enjoyer ^.^

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 27, 6:42 PM

Jul 2022
The 👏 visuals 👏 go 👏 SO 👏 hard, i loooved this, love the development!
Jan 27, 6:49 PM

Jul 2014
Reply to Shadow_M0n4rch
all these people writing/typing essays while im just gonna say "its the best anime this season"
@rip_lazer If you only watch one anime this season... it's the best anime you've seen this season!
Jan 27, 6:53 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I can see the cgi but a1 manage to make it minimalize which is nice. I can't believe how much Sung doing all the usual shounen typical scream, but with the add of voice acts ngl its becomes more prominent than just reading it lmao.

Still cool to see how Sung choke the poor snake to death, and one-shot golem from behind. Gotta see more ikemen side of Sung after this and then bam, more hype-up part comes after especially with the liz...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 27, 7:06 PM
Oct 2023
they are always edging me with the ending
Jan 27, 7:07 PM

May 2019
While the action was great I thought Jin-Woo defeating the snake with his bare hands was a bit anti-climatic as I thought he would've found and used something else. At least with the golem fight he threw the broken sword at it and then left it there. I initially thought he should've used the new dagger he got from the snake but changed my mind once I realized he wasn't going to use the broken sword again.

Hopefully he'll check on Joo-Hee, his mom, and sister before progressing through future dungeons, and I take it he's around level 18 which I'm guessing could be D-rank.
Jan 27, 7:17 PM

Sep 2020
Reply to Alfredo-Sauce
While the action was great I thought Jin-Woo defeating the snake with his bare hands was a bit anti-climatic as I thought he would've found and used something else. At least with the golem fight he threw the broken sword at it and then left it there. I initially thought he should've used the new dagger he got from the snake but changed my mind once I realized he wasn't going to use the broken sword again.

Hopefully he'll check on Joo-Hee, his mom, and sister before progressing through future dungeons, and I take it he's around level 18 which I'm guessing could be D-rank.
@Alfredo-Sauce

He specialized in strength and went with blunt damage instead of slash damage for the snake, hence being more effective. It looks like the increase in the intelligence stat is already paying off eh?
Jan 27, 7:19 PM

Sep 2020
I'm really glad A-1 is the studio adapting this. It's perfect for them since it's their whole game, not to mention that Sawano is handling the music too.

The pacing is great thus far, and the subtle details and foreshadowing are exceptionally done.

It's funny seeing so many comments complaining that it seems like run-of-the-mill power levelling, but I can't wait for their reaction as the story unfolds...
Jan 27, 7:21 PM

May 2010
Love the animations, the VA's are doing great.

Episode starts off with the mc being rtarded as usual, i really dislike that crap. the "gets beat alot, cries, is pathetic, does an action that makes him go: Oh my i am this strong now, wow, imagine if i tested out my new powers before coming into a do or die situation freely by my own will".

The premise that he needs money or whatever for his mother didn't make it clear that he 'has to be' a hunter imo. all the other bystander civs we saw today are doing fine no? mana crystals not being buyable with regular money?
Jan 27, 7:21 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to Radical_Orion
Again, more tutorial-esque episode. It's like watching a video game playthrough.
Generic monsters, generic fights, absolutely nothing at stake, no sense of danger, not worried for characters, nothing to lose, cheap pseudo-cliffhangers just to push people to buy the source material.
Disappointing so far. Surely overhyped...
Here we go again with the "just wait for next episode" with promise of the story really taking off next week... they say that every week :/
If at least the S-class guys in the first episode had done something impressive/catchy... but if this was supposed to be a teasing for the top hunters... yikes.

I'm not officially giving a rating to a show until episode 12, so I'll wait, but so far, it's between a 4/10 and 5/10 with essentially no potential for rewatch. Sorry to break it to you.
@Radical_Orion You can just drop this now, this is a typical mass produced Korean hyped power fantasy, it is all about MC showing cool power and destroying the enemy. There's nothing deep in it, if you don't like this episode you won't like any other episode, just drop it, it's not for you don't waste your time.
Though I don't get why you say there's no stake, the man can just die, if that's not enough stake for you and you want the world about to be destroyed at episode 4, then how is it possible to raise the stake down the line lol.
MrJ588Jan 27, 8:03 PM
Jan 27, 7:24 PM
Dec 2023
Even in this eps is not trending. I think this episode is good. Looks like the hype has died down.
Jan 27, 7:25 PM
Dec 2022
Fire. Bros leveling up, respect his grind.
Jan 27, 7:35 PM
Feb 2015
Insane action this episode, He keeps grinding until he defeats the boss dungeon. If it was me i will use the teleport and keep grinding. Like the way MC was thinking. His frustration over his weakness also was very moving and relatable. Only one single knife is enogh to blow the golem defense 9/10 episode
Jan 27, 8:00 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to Sokah
So he goes from not being able to beat 1 wolf, to being able to just beat 2, to being able to beat 20, then being able to solo a boss unarmed that is stronger than the boss on the street that a full team with gear couldn't beat.

You know how Force Awakens sucked in part because Rey was a Mary Sue who could beat a Sith Lord trained by Luke Skywalker despite having never used a sword before?

This guy is 100x worse.

Also the fight scenes were pretty terrible.

Oh well, wasn't expecting much but this is well below.
@Sokah That's such a terrible comparison. Rey didn't earn her power, she didn't train at all and simply got the strength for no reason. She didn't work for her strength. Our brother, on the other hand, is a grinder. He worked for his strength by grinding XP for days, every day. Before the dungeon he grinded quests every day, and in the dungeon he grinded the shit out of the mobs until his weapon broke. He's a grinder.

It is easy to see that you are a not a gamer so you don't understand the game mechanic, you were like "wait how can he kill a giant serpent if the only thing he killed before were wolves". That's not how it works here. The reason why he could beat the serpent boss was not because he learnt how to fight realistically, but because he killed enough trash mobs to level up 15 levels. With these 15 levels, he gets so many attribute points to put into strength so that he can beat the boss with his strength. Think of it this way. It is a level 15 dungeon, with trash mobs level 3-5, and the boss level 10. Brother went in level 1-2 and grinded the shit out of those level 5 trash mobs, so much that he reaches level 15 (should be hundreds of those wolves, not just 20 like you said lol). Because he is level 15, I see no reason why he couldn't beat a level 15 boss. Please note that it is a E-rank dungeon, literally the lowest rank dungeon.

Also the boss on the street is supposed to be stronger than the boss in the dungeon, since it is D-rank. And he didn't beat it by himself, he simply passed a DPS (damage per second) check and broke its shield. The reason why the group struggled was because it was a ragtag group, so they had no coordination, not only that, the damage dealers are all E-rank while the boss is D-rank, so they couldn't pass the DPS check. This boss apparently has some sort of DPS check mechanic, looks to me you need to deal X amount of damage in an attack to break its shield in order to start doing damage to it. The group has D-rank tank and healers, and E-rank damage dealers, so none of the damage dealers have a strong enough attack to pass the check.

This is very clear and apparent to any gamer, maybe you can argue that the anime should have done a better job to making it easier for non-gamers to understand the game mechanic.
Jan 27, 8:01 PM
Apr 2023
Badass, love the sense o progression of this character, im almost reading the manhwa again just to see it.
Jan 27, 8:05 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to Alfredo-Sauce

@Alfredo-Sauce
Jan 27, 8:13 PM
Jul 2023
dam that was good I'm thankful its not another cliffhanger and no cgi snake hoorayy
Jan 27, 8:36 PM
Sep 2023
Only 12 episodes ? wow
Jan 27, 8:43 PM

Mar 2007
Bro is just grinding and solo'd the entire dungeon including the boss, then went out to help the other team.

Is he level 20 now? They showed he leveled up but I couldn't see what level he was up to.

And that final shot of his forearm with all those muscles, oh my!
Jan 27, 9:26 PM
Feb 2021
So this is going to be like sung thinks he still not that strong and think for awhile that they other people weakened the thing that he was fighting? or will he understand pretty fast that he became insanely strong?
Jan 27, 9:40 PM
Apr 2020
what an ep this is .. cant wait for 1 more week.. one of the best power fantasy i saw so far .. hope this wont be a single season anime adaptation of webtoon..
Jan 27, 10:00 PM
Nov 2013
This was pretty pathetic. Another kiddie grade inner monologue during a fight scene. I had my hopes up when this was rated r-17 and not shounen, perhaps erroneously. At this point I'd rather hear ora ora ora from his monologues, it'd be more entertaining. If I have to listen to a 3rd episode in a row, mid-fight, about how he's weak and a whiny beach instead of something more realistic, then I'll just have to wait for an abridged version to fix it. Dude went from analitical and observant to a brainless shounen protagonist real quick.
Jan 27, 10:12 PM

Jul 2008
Jinwoo gotta pump those numbers up, those are rookie numbers.
Jan 27, 10:27 PM

May 2021
A cool boss fight; even got to see that future look of his partially.

Jan 27, 10:30 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Second half of this ep was sooo good, 10/10
Jan 27, 10:41 PM

Feb 2018
yeah he totally got a "little" stronger, nothing crazy lol.

Never ending plan to watch list...

Jan 27, 10:53 PM
Jul 2020
I love how this episode captured the desperation Jinwoo felt while fighting the serpent boss. As someone who already read through the manhwa, I've been really enjoying this series so far!
Jan 27, 11:02 PM

Jul 2019
Sigh, this is why I'm not a fan of adding video game mechanics to your fantasy show. Guy puts all his stats into strength, then proceeds to get smashed through concrete walls, and flung across the room countless times with no damage, despite not investing anything in vitality. He even says if he takes a direct hit it would kill him, lol. I guess those were all indirect hits? And he keeps commenting on how good his perception skill is, despite not putting anything into perception.

Still enjoying the show, just going to have to ignore the video game "logic"
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Mar 30

386 by shady_law1 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » How would you feel about gates opening in real life?

Shizuna - Apr 9

43 by Merve2Love »»
Yesterday, 9:36 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 17

260 by MainAxe9880 »»
Yesterday, 3:41 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 16

165 by Sats »»
May 20, 10:23 PM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 9

226 by Sats »»
May 20, 9:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.