Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 16, 2021 8:58 AM

Jun 2011
I think those people with 3000-4000 anime on their list are avid fans over 10+ years. So, it's quite possible to watch that amount of shows in that period of time.

OT: Feel free to look at my list. I don't think I'm faking.
Dec 16, 2021 9:58 AM

Aug 2007
The only thing "fake" about my list is that I sometimes add recaps or alt versions with no new content as completed because I've effectively seen them even if I haven't technically seen them. This isn't to boost numbers, but mostly just so anime+ will stop telling me I need to watch them.
"Dumb people are worse than bad people."
Dec 16, 2021 10:00 AM

Aug 2009
As questionable as my scores and favorites may be, no.

Dec 16, 2021 4:47 PM

Oct 2016
Heck, no! Doing somethin' like that is pure senselessness
fjaebfhebsfhsehabfjskyousuckatcooking
Dec 16, 2021 6:28 PM

May 2021
Karinara said:
Why would anyone fake their list? Isn't the main point of having a "myanimelist" to keep track of what you have seen so that you know what you have seen? A lot of people here who have a lot of anime watched are either real veterans of anime or have really small amount of days watched (meaning their list is full of shorts, ads etc.)

And some people just watch a lot of anime every day. It's as simple as that.
There's actual a very simple reason as to why some people do it: Elitism. I've actually witnessed it myself in real time!
My Candies:

Bonus:
Dec 16, 2021 9:33 PM

Oct 2021
MikitoList said:
Karinara said:
Why would anyone fake their list? Isn't the main point of having a "myanimelist" to keep track of what you have seen so that you know what you have seen? A lot of people here who have a lot of anime watched are either real veterans of anime or have really small amount of days watched (meaning their list is full of shorts, ads etc.)

And some people just watch a lot of anime every day. It's as simple as that.
There's actual a very simple reason as to why some people do it: Elitism. I've actually witnessed it myself in real time!

this. and to add to what you said; there are also people who like to pretend that they are ''anime experts'' when they are just fake anime fans/trolls
Dec 16, 2021 10:16 PM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
otto-rimuru said:
MikitoList said:

this. and to add to what you said; there are also people who like to pretend that they are ''anime experts'' when they are just fake anime fans/trolls

But if anyone was to ask anything about those fake titles it would be obvious they are faking
Dec 16, 2021 10:43 PM

Jan 2008
I have 221 days of anime watched, but it's the opposite for me. My watch time should actually be a lot longer due to many rewatches that I never listed.
Dec 17, 2021 12:08 AM

Aug 2021
Nah, I'm not faking my list. Although I don't use the on-hold/dropped/PTW categories due to my laziness.

<°))))彡<°))))彡<°))))彡

Dec 17, 2021 12:39 AM

May 2021
Karinara said:
otto-rimuru said:

But if anyone was to ask anything about those fake titles it would be obvious they are faking
I don't think so. We're talking about MAL forums here. The person can easily just look at the summary and look up a bunch of random things about the anime you ask about. Also, what are the odds you'd even be able to ask about one of the anime? When the person has 1000+ entries compared to your, let's say, 50. And who's just going to randomly look at someone's anime update list to see what they're doing? The specific guy that I called out would randomly rate and add 50+ completed anime on random days, then would claim "I watched them all years ago, it's hard to remember everything you've watched" (but then was able to remember them enough to give them "fair and accurate" ratings? lol). I was lucky enough to notice he completed and rated the newest SAO movie, despite the fact that it was only released in Japanese theatres, so he had to backtrack. Point is, people fake lists for this reason. It should be no surprise considering the website we're on.
My Candies:

Bonus:
Dec 17, 2021 12:41 AM

Nov 2021

No, for the fact that if I where to say I watched something on my List and Someone where to ask me about it and come to see that i know nothing about it, That would be embarrassing. Even if id l like to say ive watched 200+ Shows and Read plenty of manga, I wouldn't. plus Lying's a hassle and at the end of the day, I don't tend to have a lot of free time to just binge watch for hours, Better to be Honest, less Stress.

ɪɴ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴ sᴏᴄɪᴇᴛʏ,
ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ᴠᴇʀʏ ғᴇᴡ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴛʀᴜʟʏ ᴛʀᴜsᴛ ᴇᴀᴄʜ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ,
ꜱᴏ ɪᴛ'ꜱ ʙᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴀʟᴏɴᴇ, ᴛʜᴀɴ ʙᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡʀᴏɴɢ ᴘᴇʀꜱᴏɴ.

Dec 17, 2021 12:45 AM

Aug 2021
I don't fake my list, but I love to watch ONAs or OVAs that are under 10 minutes or so -- which is why my total anime count and my watchtime probably doesn't seem to match.
Dec 17, 2021 5:16 AM
May 2017
No, because it is MyAnimeList and it would be stupid to fake it.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Dec 17, 2021 5:54 AM

Aug 2018
I do believe there are some who fake it, but I can't for life of me understand why. I guess it's like these guys who flex fake Rolexes.

I have 79 days worth watched over the past 3-4 years, and I consider that a lot even though I have "only" 130 animes completed. When I read that someone has something like 2k+ animes watched, I can only imagine how bad their room smells.
Dec 17, 2021 6:39 AM

Jan 2015
100 days of anime is not that much.
I'm close to that number and I consider myself one that watches anime not that often (also helps the fact that I'm into this since 2011, but that can apply with everyone).
Though yes, there are people who fake their anime list (which is pointless since it helps you keep track of what you're watching and it's not for flexing).
Best series of all time? Gormiti of course
Dec 17, 2021 6:57 AM

Dec 2015
Rofl, dude, everyone is not set in the same lifestyle/situation as you.

Everyone have different kind of lifestyle/situation where they are put in.

I think you should try to start thinking a bit before creating a stupid post like this.
And I'm sure it would help you in the future, as everyone is not working or going to school.

And a answer to you'r question, yes people are faking their list, I have seen people with 10k completed Anime, but they still act like they are 13 years of old and don't know a shit about the Anime world or anything related to Anime. They are just acting way to ignorant for the amount they have completed.

A few of them is bot account others is flex account, as if you can use other sites that show how much points you have gathered.
ilike Mal Stats etc.

But, the thing you don't see to understand is that a lot of people have a different life style from you.
Ritch kids, sick kids, people without work, people that dropped out from school and so on.

As I'm one of those sick kids, as I have been sick for 10 years now.

I was thinking of linking a few fake accounts, but it looks like they have gotten deleted or the person that made the account have disabled it.
And now we talk about people wth 2k days completed Anime and 1-5k days completed Manga.

A internet friend of me, was friend with a few of them, but i can't see to find them.
been a year or two since i took a look at them last.

But like I said don't push everyone of the same cliff.

Dec 17, 2021 8:53 AM

Jul 2021
i find absilutely no point in doing that. Just why? how big can you make a simple matter to be? ll it is just anime not your exam marks that you will add up
Dec 17, 2021 8:55 AM

Sep 2015
I think a lot of them just don't watch the shows properly and speed it up, skip scenes etc.

I wonder how you can get to 1000 without burning yourself out.
Dec 17, 2021 11:23 AM
Sep 2020
Magnarune said:
I don't consider myself the most avid of anime watchers but some of the people I seen on the forums have up to 5000 animes on their lists and i cant understand why/how? I mean avg 5, 10 min episodes, with lets say an account with 3000 animes on their list that's still 104 straight days of anime and that's assuming the low end. And that's not including the fact generally have even more manga reads as well.

-Edit [ I chose 5 ep per season per show with 10 min per episode a more realistic example would be 12~25 ep per season and 22 min per episode giving 550 days assuming 12 ep/season and 1100 days assuming 25 ep/season average. The point is people seem to have unresonable high number and again not including manga here]

I'm not accusing people of faking their lists but...are they? Am i missing something here? Is there clout or a reason people would?

My only idea is that maybe because this is a forum on a anime website the concentration of "hardcore" anime viewers is higher. So it's biased data set.

That or people wanna look cool and have a thick list so what ever they post looks more "legit" ?

There are absolutely people on this site that fake their lists. You can tell sometimes by going through their lists and seeing if they have a lost anime listed as complete. Like original astro boy. There are around 30 lost episodes of astro boy which means its impossible to complete, but there are still people with giant lists on this site claiming to have seen all of it along with other shows that are impossible to watch.

On the other hand their are people who have been watching anime anime consistently since the late 1970's.... and its easy to believe that those people have seen well over 3000 entries of anime.

Another way to tell if someone is lying is to simply confront them. Sometimes through simple questioning you can catch them in a lie.
Dec 17, 2021 11:43 AM

Aug 2019
no. Just watch anime regularly. Over the years they add up.

Dec 17, 2021 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
I do not fake my list. I have spent 86.4 days of my life watching anime. Although it spans over several years, so really it's only an episode or two a day, or lots of binge-watching. I don't know what the point of faking anime count would be though - it seems like that'd only be important to newbies who want to classify as 'anime veterans'.

In terms of manga and light novels I am a faster reader than most people so it probably inflates my time spent reading manga. Although it's fairly innacurate anyway because for re:zero for instance I use the 'volumes' section for 'arcs' instead, so it would record my time for 7 volumes wheras it's closer to 25.
Dec 17, 2021 12:52 PM

May 2019
Naw, it's why mine is so scant. I'm here to watch and enjoy, that's all that matters.

I think it's best to not compare as we all have different lifestyles and time available. I think being a little 'noob' is okay and being a major avid anime veteran is okay too. Mad respect for both as they're all enjoying anime (and manga)!
Dec 17, 2021 1:59 PM

Oct 2012
Only time I start doubting someone having watched over 1500 anime and with a higher duration than me is when their average score is between 2.5 and 4, because if you don't even enjoy what you watch I can't understand how you actually slogged through that much content
Dec 17, 2021 3:08 PM

Nov 2009
I primarily use MAL to track my watched anime, the way it was intended. Since my relatively impossible goal is to watch every anime created (assuming it's accessible), I need my list to actually be accurate.
Jan 29, 2022 5:44 AM

Nov 2013
Well that would quite defeate the purpose of having your anime list, wouldn't it
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 30, 2022 8:18 PM

Jun 2008
I don't fake anything. What you see if what you get. You could probably guess which user I am if you saw a photo of my physical anime collection.
Jan 30, 2022 9:12 PM
Jul 2018
No, that's kinda dumb. I like to use my list to keep track of how much of an anime I've watched. Faking it would ruin that.
Jan 30, 2022 10:49 PM
Nov 2020
Yeah if there's a title i don't want to be associated with because it's too embarrassing, then yeah, i don't add it.
Jan 30, 2022 11:58 PM

Jun 2020
It just feels pointless in updating my list. Sometimes I watched that were not in my list, sometimes I just left it dropped or on-hold or watching after I finished the series.

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
ー キノの旅 ー
Jan 30, 2022 11:59 PM
Mar 2021
Yes. It's fake because I watch stuff to appear cool
Jan 31, 2022 12:10 AM

Jan 2021
no, because i keep the list for myself not for others
Jan 31, 2022 12:57 AM

Apr 2021
My anime list is filled with anime which I will or would have watched. There are anime which I won't watch, but it's gonna be in my list cuz I just too lazy to remove em. Who knows maybe I might watch em later.

Jan 31, 2022 2:09 AM

Mar 2021
No, I don't fake mine; if I did, I would certainly make it more flattering.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Jan 31, 2022 2:54 AM

May 2016
there are def people out there who do, why do some think taht it's cool to have a huge list is beyond me though, to b an "expert of anime"
Jan 31, 2022 9:54 AM

Oct 2019
I don't do pointless things. Though I think sometimes the lists can be misunderstandings, lets say the person skipped filler, openings, endings and etc. But mal had no way to mark that. So sometimes it's way more than it actually is. There's also some stuff on mal that wouldn't even be considered anime, like music and hentai and such. But mal counts them anyway. Even if you don't do any of those things, 100 days is not that hard to get. You just need to be watching for a lot of years. Sometimes ppl do fake their lists to be cooler on forums tho
Jan 31, 2022 9:57 AM

Nov 2019
Like bruh there's no reason to fake it at all
Jan 31, 2022 1:44 PM

Jan 2021
I wonder how people can average 5 eps per day as a casual watcher I would burn out really fast if I did that, I couldn't do it for a month, let alone decades

Answer to your question: I don't, I just use MAL as a tool to track which anime I have watched and how much time of my life I gave to it
Jan 31, 2022 2:05 PM

Apr 2020
I think some people do, depending how long you've actually been watching anime for. I was only into a few shows when I was a kid & even less so now. I put more time into my manga list now days
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Jan 31, 2022 2:06 PM

Dec 2016
Why would you do that? lol What do you get out of that?
I don't understand
Jan 31, 2022 2:12 PM

Jan 2022
You can watch summaries of an anime and you've basically seen it.
Things like Bleach and Naruto which have hundreds of episodes get pinned down an 1 hour movie summary on youtube.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2022 2:15 PM

Jul 2021
Why would you? Stop tracking than XD
I mean, you can drop it?
I watch often anime with 2x speeds, because I really want to see how it ends, but it is too slow for me lol (only 12 eps)
Jan 31, 2022 4:21 PM

Feb 2020
Nope, I really have watched that little 😂
Feb 1, 2022 5:30 AM

Jun 2021
I would have assume the profiles with huge numbers are profiles created over a decade ago, and they've just been really good at keeping track of everything, or just remembering everything they've watched in their lifetime, I dunno.
Feb 1, 2022 7:57 AM
Jan 2022

IDK. I haven't even put everything i've seen.

Does that count as faking? XD
Feb 1, 2022 8:14 AM

Feb 2010
The worst thing I've done is skipped fillers on Naruto and Bleach and still set them to completed for convenience and to express how I don't see the fillers as meaningful parts of the overall experience of those shows. And I've added a handful of shows from my childhood where I can't know for sure I've seen every single episode because I watched them on TV but didn't keep up religiously with them every day and every week, just always watched them whenever I could for a couple of years. So while I know I've sat down and watched an episode of this 50-episode show at least 50-times, I can't confirm 100% that every single episode was among them because of re-runs and TV showing episodes out of order.

So yeah if that counts, sue me, I'm willing to sacrifice 0.01% accuracy for 100% more convenience when it comes to my list. I also think it balances itself out with the rewatching of episodes that aren't logged since you can only really log complete rewatches. But especially back during TV times it was often just individual episodes or parts of a show that you saw multiple times, and even later I often showed the first few episodes of a show to friends but not the whole show. So any 'gains' on 'Days Watched' I might have gotten from skipping fillers get balanced out by unlogged rewatches. And either way that's just the smallest percentage of my overall time spent on anime.

It really comes down to consistency. All my list is is like 2-3 hours a day of watching anime for the last 15+ years. I've been watching anime for almost 30 years, actively watching it for 21 years and had it as my number 1 hobby from like 2008 to 2019. If you really enjoy anime, and don't stop doing so, the numbers will rise.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 1, 2022 8:34 AM
Jul 2018
No. I genuinely enjoy the anime that I watch. The people who do that are just fake fans doing it for clout or as an inside joke.
Feb 1, 2022 10:08 AM

Jan 2022
Heck, I'm trying to figure out HOW to list what I'm watching and have already watched on MAL to begin with. I'm no Greenhorn to anime or Cyberspace, but am for MAL. I'm guessing it's tracking a show "streamed" ??? Cause 97% of my viewing is on DVD & Bluray and even VHS at times from my always growing collection. I'd also be counting / listing stuff I watched 20 to 30 years ago.
Mar 24, 2022 10:58 AM

Jul 2019
Yeah, I am hungry for some clout, notice me watching so much and still maintain a stable life. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.
Mar 24, 2022 11:15 AM
Sep 2015
Why do I want to fake my anime list if it is the only way I can control what I'm watching or plan to watch.

Makes no sense at all.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Old OVAs

JoeChip - Yesterday

36 by 23feanor »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 3 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

117 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
5 minutes ago

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

34 by Levi »»
15 minutes ago

» What anime character has the most annoying/toxic haters? ( 1 2 3 )

Adimus_prime - Mar 8, 2021

135 by niknasr »»
29 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1040 by Sounded_Neptune »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.