Forum Settings
Forums

Characters that you never understood the hype around them

New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 29, 2021 9:11 AM

Feb 2020
Xerx62 said:

L: He is smart and all but weird, creepy and pretty boring. And I just can't understand why people find him hot lmao

i like his hair.

Mikasa: an annoying Ereh simp all the way to the end (yes I read the manga), she has no personality whatsoever

fact. personallity like an used toiletpaper.

Eren Yeager: I've always hated him so it made me laugh when after the final chapter his simp fans got sooo disillusioned lol

haha yeeeeah this was funny af, i feel that xD

Yuno Gasai: I hate her, she is disgusting. I hate yanderes with passion.

couldn't say it better.

Armin Arlelt: he is a generic shounen mc except he isn't the mc (or is he) anyway he is annoying especially that they try to act like he is so fricking smart when he just has some common sense, whereas most characters in AoT don't.

i have actually not a problem with him but yeah, he isn't soooo smart like it seems.
the rest of the aot characters are just not pretty bright that's all(okay Erwin and Zeke are the exception), sure he seems smarter.

animu007Jul 29, 2021 9:15 AM
Jul 29, 2021 9:12 AM

Apr 2021
Makoto from school days. People seem to love him, especially teenage girls from a certain high school.
Jul 29, 2021 9:22 AM

Jun 2009
Mikasa, Levi and Eren. I'm on season three and I still dont get why these characters are so popular.

Jul 29, 2021 9:25 AM

May 2021
Armin, Mikasa, Yuno, Rem, Megumin ( konosuba ), Chika

Jul 29, 2021 9:56 AM

Dec 2015
Asuka - she's annoying for the most part, and people praise her precisely for her being like that. It's just weird.

Levi - he is far from being a bad character, but the fact people idolize him just for his badass moments are pretty pathetic. And the fact people only praised Eren after he changed his personality to a darker one is even worse.

Rengoku (this is more of a rant of this type of characters) - I absolutely despise shounen characters with this type of personality. It's a disgusting attempt of giving the character some charisma, but it's just come across as extremely childish and annoying. I hate even more the fact both authors and the public find quality in those awful traits.
Jul 29, 2021 11:14 AM

Jun 2020
light yagami , chika , eren and a lot of other characters
Jul 29, 2021 11:23 AM

Jun 2021
-YaoiBoy- said:

@Zaygo we share the same forum avatar it seems lol well, not unexpected, since it's a good picture :p and that colored version looks nice :)

Well I picked it up for the green hair, as a match for my main dp. But now that a twin exists, I am no longer special and I would have to change :)

Btw as you have a lot more experience with anime, can you tell who this guy is, or for that matter the one in my main dp? Or are they just independent creations?
Jul 29, 2021 12:36 PM

May 2021
Zaygo said:
-YaoiBoy- said:

@Zaygo we share the same forum avatar it seems lol well, not unexpected, since it's a good picture :p and that colored version looks nice :)

Well I picked it up for the green hair, as a match for my main dp. But now that a twin exists, I am no longer special and I would have to change :)

Btw as you have a lot more experience with anime, can you tell who this guy is, or for that matter the one in my main dp? Or are they just independent creations?

Oh, I wouldn't mind changing it myself, if only I had planned for alternatives beforehand :) but since I decided to use the same picture for both my profile and forums, that would be quite troublesome. I would rather just keep the same picture in both places, at least for the time being. I don't plan on being active on forums that much in the future though, so maybe having a twin isn't that big of a problem :p but I understand the concern, I actually saw someone using that picture before me in some old threads, even before I registered here, who is now an inactive user. I was afraid he is going to come back online and I'd have to change to something else lol

You mean the one from our forum pictures? I think just some random anime guy :) I tried to look him up, but found nothing. And same for you profile picture, I guess, probably just an original drawing. Also, nice Makishima signature :p
Jul 29, 2021 12:54 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Rem is great but I don't think she quite deserves ALL the hype she has gotten, I kind of actually like Ram a bit more with her sassy character lol

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jul 29, 2021 1:00 PM
Feb 2020
I honestly don't see how the main cast from konosuba is liked so much I just find them cringe or annoying.
Jul 29, 2021 1:16 PM

Jul 2020
Edward Elric. Just felt like another generic "I don't want to kill people" shounen mc.
Gintama is good
Jul 29, 2021 4:24 PM

Jan 2020
eren jaeger idk what's really special with him he is just 'i want revenge' and i'm not controlled by worldbuilding mechanism'
TierraRobadaJul 29, 2021 4:28 PM
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Jul 29, 2021 6:42 PM

Feb 2021
I don't watch Tokyo Revengers, but I never get what makes Mikey so likeable. From a dude's perspective (I can only speak for myself) he doesn't look that handsome, let alone hot.

Still, to each their own.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jul 29, 2021 7:58 PM

May 2019
eren, gojo, gintoki, spike, alpha, joseph and bakugou
Jul 29, 2021 8:17 PM

Aug 2016
Zoro by far. annoying and uninteresting
:v
Jul 29, 2021 8:24 PM
Jun 2020
Bakugo from MHA, i guess
despite the huge development and since i am caught up to the manga, i still am not really fond of him
Nissan 350Z
Jul 29, 2021 8:37 PM
Nov 2020
animu007 said:
oooh boy here we go.

Eren Jäger
Mikasa Ackerman
Lelouch
Light
Senjougahara
Yuno Gasai
Kirito
for kirito its mostly light novel kirito there talking about not the anime version.
Jul 29, 2021 8:39 PM

Apr 2020
Mikasa and Sasha from Aot

Sasha is just a "funny" glutton girl

and Mikasa is just... uhhh... there's nothing to say about her

Have they done anything valuable to the plot? NO!
Jul 29, 2021 8:41 PM

Jan 2021
Lelouch and every female character in monogatari series
Jul 29, 2021 8:42 PM

Jul 2010
Definitely Mikasa, imo one of the worst female main leads but praised as one of the best... like what?
I've seen so many comments how complex her character is and what brilliant writing Isayama did with her... bruh you can like her but pls she is a flat character

Jul 29, 2021 8:46 PM
Jul 2018
I would also like to add L, Light, Revy, Naruto and all Steins;gate characters to the list
Jul 29, 2021 8:55 PM
Aug 2020
Deago said:
Zaraki Kenpachi. He's just your typical bloodthirsty mad dog who wants to fight strong opponents, similar to Hisoka or Younger Toguro, but at least Hisoka is active and planning to achieve his goal of fighting strong opponents rather than sitting around, whereas Toguro has a detailed background that explains why he acts like that.

Yeah but Kenpachi has some of the most badass scenes ever, the scene where he let Ichigo take the first swing at him in there fight and then it cut to an image of a bunch of blood on the floor and then it turned out to be from Ichigo's hand. Ichigo's hands bled from trying and failing to cut Kenpachi when given the opportunity. Also Kenpachi is one of the strongest captains without using a bankai, he would consider it cowardice to become one with his sword rather than just bend it to his will. He's probably one of the most pure badass shounen characters ever. Also Kenpachi and his division represent one of the only really interesting themes in Bleach, that of power and a desire to prove oneself. While Hisoka kills out of sadism, Kenpachi kills out of a desire to risk his own life, prove his strength, and to live on the absolute edge. He's not exactly a complex character but damn is he likeable.
Jul 29, 2021 8:59 PM
Mar 2021
Mogdxck said:
I never understood the reason behind the "hayasaka best girl" thing. Because to me she's just one of those cute side character and thats it. I can't see why people said she was the best girl in the show.

Yess man, She it's so normal, like, if someone say he likes Yona of Akatsuki no Yona, I understand because it's a character who it's desenvolved with the time and are interesting. But Hayasaka it's just a normal cute girl how you say, I don't understand!
Jul 29, 2021 9:01 PM
Aug 2020
TimMarcus said:
eren jaeger idk what's really special with him he is just 'i want revenge' and i'm not controlled by worldbuilding mechanism'

What makes Eren interesting is that he doesn't just want revenge, in fact once he truly starts to do the horrific things he does in season 4 revenge is nowhere on his mind. What drives him is a desire to protect his people and beyond that a desire to attain true freedom. Remember in season 4 where Eren admits to Reiner that he doesn't hate him, that he understands why he did what he did, and that he likely would have done the same thing in his shoes and then immediately after hearing that Marley is declaring war on Eldia with the understanding that his country has basically been a scapegoat for major global issues he finally attacks and attacks brutally. The other thing that makes Eren interesting is that as soon as season 4 starts we almost never see him by himself, he is always seen from the perspective of another character, we go from seeing the world through his eyes to seeing him through the worlds eyes.
Jul 29, 2021 9:04 PM
Aug 2020
jjihhye said:
Mikasa, Levi and Eren. I'm on season three and I still dont get why these characters are so popular.

Eren gets a ton of development in season 4 and the manga, Levi is pretty static but likeable if your into him, I agree Mikasa is pretty bad and I think shes pretty overrated just because she has a couple cool scenes and is in a really popular show.
Jul 29, 2021 9:08 PM
Aug 2020
Xerx62 said:
Basing off of the most favorited characters on Mal.

Lelouch: at first when watching s1 I kinda got it, but as the story progressed he started annoying me and I thought this dude is actually pretty dumb lol ... so yeah, no thanks

L: He is smart and all but weird, creepy and pretty boring. And I just can't understand why people find him hot lmao

Luffy: Haven't seen much of One Piece but he seems like a very generic shounen mc

Edward Elric: he is not funny even though they try SO hard to make him be, he's just annoying

Naruto: same as Luffy, I guess he is one of the first generic shounen mcs? Part of the originators, thanks Naruto –.–

Mikasa: an annoying Ereh simp all the way to the end (yes I read the manga), she has no personality whatsoever

Eren Yeager: I've always hated him so it made me laugh when after the final chapter his simp fans got sooo disillusioned lol

Kaneki: seriously? Kaneki? EWWW

Rem: oh look, a loli simp who likes violently murdering people uwu best girl ever what a wAiFu

Kirito: you know

Hisoka: he is a *cough* you know what *cough* ugh disgusting

Yuno Gasai: I hate her, she is disgusting. I hate yanderes with passion.

Asuna: she has no personality, just a bland "waifu"

Midoriya Izuku: generic shounen mc the new generation, but make him even MoRE ANnOyInG
A crybaby broccoli with his naive ideals and thicc plot armor, I hate him. What does anybody see in him?

Natsu: generic shounen mc

Emilia: the girl with the one personality trait

Tanjirou: he is like Midoriya but with (a bit) less annoying looks and doesn't cry (much) and has a pet. With that said...Nezuko as well.

Gon: generic shounen mc but a little kid?

Armin Arlelt: he is a generic shounen mc except he isn't the mc (or is he) anyway he is annoying especially that they try to act like he is so fricking smart when he just has some common sense, whereas most characters in AoT don't.

Subaru: ugh

This got so long, I apologize.

I actually agree with half of these but Gon is not a generic shounen mc, he seems somewhat like one if you haven't gotten to the Chimera Ant arc yet. Also Emilia is actually a decently complex character if you get into the show more, she gets a lot of backstory and development in the second season. Thats probably why people like her. I agree with Armin, Tanjiro, kirito, asuna, and Deku tho( even tho I heard he gets a bunch of development in the manga).
DaddyDonovanJul 29, 2021 9:12 PM
Jul 29, 2021 9:17 PM

Dec 2019
Pretty much 99.99% of the entire huge cast of MHA characters. I don't understand the hype around the main cast, especially Deku, Todoroki and Bakugo. All three of them are generic as fuck, so much so that I can compare them to cereal with a few expired raisins thrown into it.
Jul 29, 2021 9:20 PM
Jul 2018
motakez said:
every female character in monogatari series

Cause they're actually well written.

ididnothingwrong said:
Makoto from school days. People seem to love him, especially teenage girls from a certain high school.

Nice lmao.
Jul 29, 2021 9:29 PM
Aug 2020
TheAngryNerd said:
Pretty much 99.99% of the entire huge cast of MHA characters. I don't understand the hype around the main cast, especially Deku, Todoroki and Bakugo. All three of them are generic as fuck, so much so that I can compare them to cereal with a few expired raisins thrown into it.

I agree with Deku and Bakugo but I thought Todoroki was actually a pretty good character, I thought him sabotaging himself by not using his fire abilities out of hatred for his father and beyond that a hatred for the part of himself that reminds himself of his father was really interesting and kind of tragic. Also him coming to terms with the fact that his powers are his own was pretty heartfelt to me. He reminded me a ton of Killua however the abuse he recieved made him weaker rather than stronger simply because he didn't want to use his own strength because of it.
Jul 29, 2021 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
Ngl, this might piss people off, but Lelouch. I actually never got the hype around him. He made a lot of really bad decisions in the anime which kinda counter what a smart person would do in that situation, literally every plan he made failed (in R1) because of the lancelot. Way too many plot conveniences and his personlity was very inconsistent (He is literally completely a different character during the Zero requeim, the time rolo was killed and before, when he shouts at rolo, and none of this is justified)

The whole cast of Monster (except Grimmer). Kenzo was a shounen protagonist in an adult body. Lunge was an idiot. And Johan was a plot device, not even a character.

Saber. I've read the VN and I still dont know why people like this whamen. Boring personlity, boring backstory that tries too hard, overpowered when the plot needs it and useless everytime the plot doesnt. Literally everything about saber reminds me of a 3 hour calculus lecture.

Ace from One Piece. This guy was a loser. Every job he had he did them wrong. He was literally disposed because he was that irrelavant to the plot except to develop Luffy into a slightly mature character. This guy made extremely bad decisions throughout his life and never even learnt from his mistakes since he was 10,and people criticise Luffy for being like this.

Edward Elric, this guy is beyond annoying. Even Bakugo is less annoying than this midget. Every short joke he makes is not funny. He doesnt know if he wants to be an edgelord or an empathetic person or a comedian. He randomly starts talking about friendship in the end with no foreshadowing whatsoever. Everything annoying about Hermione Granger from Harry Potter is annoying about this guy.

Roy Mustang. This dude is literally failed Gintoki. He has the same personality- being goofy 90% of the time and then gettting serious as the plot requires him. His fight with Lust is the most pathetic fights I had seen. And he gives up his goal to do something which he literallly could have done as the Fuhrer (quickly in fact)

Oh and Giorno and Johnny joestar. These two are literally boring.

Oh and Deku, but he's getting more interesting in the manga

@IHateKpop, Ok........., I'm pretty sure you didn't watch Naruto or Mha. Bakugo and sasuke are literally the most developed characters among the kids in their respective series
removed-userJul 29, 2021 11:22 PM
Jul 29, 2021 11:10 PM

Apr 2016
Tbh Bakugo and sasuke are trash characters and appear to be teenage girl bait. As far as development, they never got any imo. Sasuke is more tolerable and he can be cool at times, but bakugo is flat out unlikeable.

Also obito was a trash villain.
Jul 29, 2021 11:23 PM

Apr 2016
@BlackCrow1 developed in what sense? I can give you sasuke somewhat, but bakugo is still the same ol bakugo, he got a little bit of development and reverted to his old self. Not to mention deku in the manga right now blows him out the water, so no, he's still trash.

Sasuke grew on me a bit but his dynamic with naruto was still trash, and it felt like they needed to fuck each other the whole start of shippuden when sasuke went rouge.
Jul 29, 2021 11:27 PM
Jul 2021
Goku
Nezuko
Zenitsu
Tanjiro
Shinobu oshino
Levi
Eren
Mikasa
Armin
Vegeta
Gojo
Saber
Kirito
Zero Two
Jul 29, 2021 11:29 PM
Jul 2018
@IHateKpop, Bakugo went from bullying Deku and bellittling others to literally understanding teamwork, helping Deku master his quirk, AND LITERALLY TAKING A SHOT FOR DEKU, you dont call that development. Just compare him from the school festival arc to the war on Shigaraki arc. He still has his core personality of being a loudmouthed asshole, but he is literally not the same character later on. Also, he is the one who comes up with the idea to fight post war Deku to stop him because he understands what Deku would be thinking. Hmmm, No DeVelOpMeNt for a guy who told Deku to suicide in the beginning I believe huh?

On that note, I dont think Deku was ever developed at all (and yes I am referring to the manga as well)

Sasuke probably received the greatest development from anyone in Naruto (except my man Gaara)
Jul 29, 2021 11:30 PM

Apr 2016
BlackCrow1 said:
@IHateKpop, Bakugo went from bullying Deku and bellittling others to literally understanding teamwork, helping Deku master his quirk, AND LITERALLY TAKING A SHOT FOR DEKU, you dont call that development

On that note, I dont think Deku was ever developed at all (and yes I am referring to the manga as well)

Sasuke probably received the greatest development from anyone in Naruto (except my man Gaara)

Bruh you'd be the type to think edward cullen got development when he wanted to kill himself when he thought bella was dead I bet. He didn't get developed for shit, bakugo is still an unlikeable asshole that screams like a douche. Only girls like that dude cuz they think he's hot. If you're a dude, I gotta question your manhood my dude.
Jul 29, 2021 11:31 PM
Jul 2018
@IHateKpop, do you read the MhA manga? All my points are kinda nonsense if you didnt. But if you did, I'd like to question your sanity at the above statement. Or you dont understand development in the first place (which is funny because you have Ippo who is a very developed character in my opinion)
Jul 29, 2021 11:32 PM

Apr 2016
BlackCrow1 said:
@IHateKpop, do you read the MhA manga? All my points are kinda nonsense if you didnt. But if you did, I'd like to question your sanity at the above statement

I am. Deku is a beast rn, he might be top 5 shounen protag of all time.
Jul 29, 2021 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
@IHateKpop, Ok.........................You definitely dont understand development..............
Jul 29, 2021 11:35 PM

Apr 2016
BlackCrow1 said:
@IHateKpop, Ok.........................You definitely dont understand development..............

Huh? You have "HISOKA IS NOT A PEDOPHILE" in all caps in your profile. Idk if you should be questioning me dude. Worry about your own lame takes.
Jul 29, 2021 11:37 PM
Jul 2018
@IHateKpop, OK, you definitely dont understand the fact that Hisoka is not a pedophile and (i think) you dont understand development, because Bakugo is a well developed character and Deku is not
Jul 29, 2021 11:39 PM

Apr 2016
BlackCrow1 said:
@IHateKpop, OK, you definitely dont understand the fact that Hisoka is not a pedophile and (i think) you dont understand development, because Bakugo is a well developed character and Deku is not

Deku is way better than bakugo, Just because he decided not to bully deku, that's development? What kinda standards are those for development.
Jul 29, 2021 11:40 PM

Jul 2020
When I was watching Re zero I was literally confused why people love Rem so much.
BlackCrow1 said:
@IHateKpop, Bakugo went from bullying Deku and bellittling others to literally understanding teamwork, helping Deku master his quirk, AND LITERALLY TAKING A SHOT FOR DEKU, you dont call that development. Just compare him from the school festival arc to the war on Shigaraki arc. He still has his core personality of being a loudmouthed asshole, but he is literally not the same character later on. Also, he is the one who comes up with the idea to fight post war Deku to stop him because he understands what Deku would be thinking. Hmmm, No DeVelOpMeNt for a guy who told Deku to suicide in the beginning I believe huh?

Deku never received Development? Are we reading the same Manga?
ScordoloJul 29, 2021 11:44 PM

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jul 29, 2021 11:45 PM
Jul 2018
@IHateKpop, And taking a shot from All for One meant for Deku isn't?

I understand if you dont like Bakugo and Sasuke, but I think it is wrong to say that they are not well developed (Hell, I hate Edward Elric and he is one of the more well developed characters apparently)
Jul 29, 2021 11:46 PM

Feb 2020
Why everyone likes Bakugo so much. Like almost every female fan of BNHA likes him. He's getting on my nerves. Why would you think it's hot to be mad at every freakin' thing??
Jul 29, 2021 11:47 PM

Apr 2016
Ms_Muffin said:
Why everyone likes Bakugo so much. Like almost every female fan of BNHA likes him. He's getting on my nerves. Why would you think it's hot to be mad at every freakin' thing??

Finally someone that speaks facts.
Jul 29, 2021 11:47 PM
Jul 2018
@Scordolo, I still think he's the exact same character he was when he was rescuing Eri. It was always shown that Deku had an unnatural obsession to protect the people himself without taking any help (The Kota thing from S3) and we are just being shown repurcussions of that. I dont think he's developed (except getting OP which I dont consider development because if so, Goku is the most well developed character) (Maybe I am wrong and he did develop but I'd say there's way too less content to determine conclusively since the chapters are so short it feels like the HxH's chimera ant arc)
Jul 30, 2021 12:02 AM

Jul 2020
BlackCrow1 said:
@Scordolo, I still think he's the exact same character he was when he was rescuing Eri. It was always shown that Deku had an unnatural obsession to protect the people himself without taking any help (The Kota thing from S3) and we are just being shown repurcussions of that. I dont think he's developed (except getting OP which I dont consider development because if so, Goku is the most well developed character)

He's the exact same as he was back in season 4? I think it would be better if you stop seeing characters as in face value. As for Kota thing, he had no choice but to go alone cuz he didn't had time to bring in reinforcements. Did he go to save Bakugou alone? No, he had Kirishima, Iida and Momo by his side. Did he went to Shie Hassakai's headquarters to save Eri alone? Nope, he had pro heroes by his side so he felt safe.

As much as I'm not a fan of the sudden change in his character, it is pretty wrong to say he hasn't received any development at all. I'm saying this again, stop seeing characters by face value and try to look at them in more depth.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jul 30, 2021 1:31 AM

Aug 2020
I never understood the hype behind Spike, Gojo or Zero two

「 𝕂𝕖𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕙𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤, 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕞𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕥𝕣𝕦𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕞 」

Jul 30, 2021 2:20 AM
Apr 2017
Most of the AOT cast
Gojo and most of the female cast of JJK
Kiritsugu Emiya from Fate
Jul 30, 2021 2:55 AM

Mar 2016
Very subjective discussion and i didnt really like that. I'm sure some peoples (not all of them) that hyped up those characters will able to explaining all of reasons for you. And at the end you'll never agreed with them simply because of personal taste.

Back to the topic. For myself, honestly i'm not understand reasons with almost all of those hyped characters listed above me. But i'm simply ignored them because i believe there are must be very unique trait or personality tied with those characters which caused people hyped them up. No need to talk shit about that characters or else you'll be in very deep meaningless discussion with them.

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » A anime that mention your country? ( 1 2 3 )

torsan88 - Sep 17

100 by aReviewer »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you think shoujo/josei romance are usually better than shounen/seinen romance ?

ZXEAN - 22 minutes ago

5 by Kirika_Madeleine »»
13 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

635 by PurplePants »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime with least plotholes

JoeChip - Yesterday

16 by deg »»
25 minutes ago

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 )

Deathlydash - Yesterday

76 by ColourWheel »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.