Forums

Characters that you never understood the hype around them

New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 28, 2021 11:24 AM

Jul 2020
epidemia78 said:
poruuu said:

I also can't understand why people love tsundere?
Rin, Nino, Mine, Taiga... What is so special about them?

Maybe for the same reason people like difficult videogames.
Oh ok :D
Actually that sound really cool, I like it :P
Jul 28, 2021 11:34 AM

Jul 2019
02, never even watched ditf but I can tell she is too overrated.

Yuno is another one too, I suppose she makes a good yandere but damn, I mean, Lucy exists no?

And there are dudes like Gojo
Jul 28, 2021 11:45 AM
Jul 2021
I dont understand why killua, Aren Jager, Rem, hisoka, 02, Deku, bakugo, and gojo are liked so much theres nothing wrong with that i just dont see it.
Jul 28, 2021 11:47 AM

May 2021
This will be a generic and boring answer but I'm quite surprised that people could care about most of the SnK characters. They are booooooooooooring

Jul 28, 2021 11:57 AM
Jul 2020
prowatcherer said:
Subaru from Re zero, very annoying and unnecessary dialogue oftentimes
I've only watched S1 and S2P1 tho.

I hadn't realised how popular Subaru was but I'm 100% with you. He's basically an infinitely shittier version of Okabe Rintarou.

The criteria I use when rating shows is on my profile.
Jul 28, 2021 12:31 PM

Aug 2020
PiyushSan said:
adnan_ said:
Rem- [Upto the point Anime has adapted the LNs] I heard everywhere 'Best WAIFU Best WAIFU' but she was literally nothing else than-

1. I'll kill the MC.
2. Oh wait. He is actually nice.
3. Now I'll be always loyal to him and sacrifice everything for his sake.
Mirai said:
Rem. I don't think she's very attractive and her personality is pretty boring imo. With other popular waifus like 02 I can kinda see the appeal but I was really surprised with how popular Rem got.

Then again I'm probably not her intended target audience. Ram best girl btw
Sayali567 said:
The only character's popularity I can't understand is Rem, out of all characters in Rezero I found her least interesting not to mention her fanbase is absolutely obnoxious which made me dislike her even more, Their logic if female character doesn't sacrifice herself for the mc than she isn't Best girl

Why not Rem? People love to fantasize about having an extremely loyal waifu that will devote her entire life to serve you.
wait, rem fans want a waifu or a mascot? lol
a wise user of MAL said:
Just to clarify, adaptations should absolutely stand on their own
Jul 28, 2021 12:43 PM

Dec 2020
There are so many i will probably forget about many every character from bunny girl senpai
Gojo satoru and nobara from jjk plus the muscle brother guy, i hope he's going to be killed off as i find him rather annoying
Every memebr from karasuno and shiratorizawa except tsukishima at times
Chuuya from bds
Rem
Lelouch
Power
Steins;gate's cast
Gasai yuno
Levi
Gintoki
Anyone from bnha
The cast of demon slayer expecially nezuko who exist for waifu bait and saving tanjiro's ass when he need
Luffy
Naruto
Mustang and alphonse elric and every homunculus plus father, they came off as pretty plain villains to me but are regarded by everyone as great written villains,
Jul 28, 2021 12:46 PM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
Taken to the very extreme, not only did Mirai Kuriyama "not stand out to me" but I actively disliked her. I'm talking "least favorite anime character of all-time" levels of dislike. I don't get the appeal at all. She's super unlikeable but I think the only reason that people don't care is because "haha moe meganekko go brr"?

epidemia78 said:
poruuu said:

I also can't understand why people love tsundere?
Rin, Nino, Mine, Taiga... What is so special about them?

Maybe for the same reason people like difficult videogames.
I despise tsunderes. Guess that explains why I really hate most "difficult" games? Lol
My greatest contribution to this website:
Jul 28, 2021 12:51 PM

Feb 2020
dertasso said:
Sympathies aside there are many people who like well written characters. And you cant deny these 3 are pretty well made. Lelouch is debatable but i found him good enough.

do you speculate that i don't have a idea about good written characters?xD

sure they are good written, well about Senjougahara i'm not so sure, but sure Light is an complete asshole in my eyes he is one of the best written ones.
but this was not my point anyway, mostly it's about sympathy.
Jul 28, 2021 12:53 PM

Aug 2018
Hitagi Senjougahara, the worst monogatari series character ever. i don't get the hype around her
Jul 28, 2021 1:12 PM

Feb 2020
dertasso said:
Did that sound bitchy? Well sorry then i guess. Wasnt the point that you dont know why people like these characters so much? And yea my point was that many people pay more attention to how well made and interesting characters are rather than how much theyd personally like them irl.

it's okay. i was a little bitchy too.

yes, hear me out, even when a character is good written, i still don't get the hype.
for me sympathy and interesting well written charas must have to keep the balance.

i mean i don't care for a character when he is an complete asshole, even he is well written.
that's that i meant.
Jul 28, 2021 1:27 PM

Oct 2020
Taiga Aisaka - I love tsunderes but she is annoying af. Also she's not cute at all.

Levi - Yeah, he's cool, op, voiced by Kamiya Hiroshi, but 115k favs? Don't hate him, but for me, he's not top5 characters in aot.

Sumi and Miku - Appeared 1 episode and suddenly she's better than Chizuru. Shy girls are overrated.
Ruka and Chizuru>>
Nino, Itsuki and Yotsuba>>

Megumin - This is the only one I can't understand. She's a kid and she's not even cute. Voiced by Rie Takahashi but apart from that, is there something that I missed watching Konosuba bc I really don't get why she's so popular.

Jul 28, 2021 9:37 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
Rem I guess. I can somewhat understand the appeal but it never hit me like it did for others

Jul 28, 2021 10:17 PM

Dec 2007
Using MAL top characters list I'd have to say Ed from Fullmetal Alchemist, Taiga from Toradora and Ichigo from Bleach. Honestly found all of them to just be bad characters. Their progression, attitudes, personalities, just nothing about any of them I found to be good. I also have to add basically every character from Eureka Seven. Don't know if they are actually that popular, but that entire cast is basically horrible.
vault-dwellerJul 28, 2021 10:29 PM
Jul 29, 2021 3:51 AM
Dec 2017
I have no idea why people would like a character as the ones you see in isekais.

Jul 29, 2021 3:56 AM
Jul 2018
Ayanokouji from COTE.

I can't see the appreciation atmosphere.
Jul 29, 2021 3:58 AM
Jul 2018
Kirito, emilia, subaru, Hisoka......
Jul 29, 2021 4:22 AM
Mar 2021
Lelouch and Mikasa.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Jul 29, 2021 4:49 AM

Mar 2020
Basing off of the most favorited characters on Mal.

Lelouch: at first when watching s1 I kinda got it, but as the story progressed he started annoying me and I thought this dude is actually pretty dumb lol ... so yeah, no thanks

L: He is smart and all but weird, creepy and pretty boring. And I just can't understand why people find him hot lmao

Luffy: Haven't seen much of One Piece but he seems like a very generic shounen mc

Edward Elric: he is not funny even though they try SO hard to make him be, he's just annoying

Naruto: same as Luffy, I guess he is one of the first generic shounen mcs? Part of the originators, thanks Naruto –.–

Mikasa: an annoying Ereh simp all the way to the end (yes I read the manga), she has no personality whatsoever

Eren Yeager: I've always hated him so it made me laugh when after the final chapter his simp fans got sooo disillusioned lol

Kaneki: seriously? Kaneki? EWWW

Rem: oh look, a loli simp who likes violently murdering people uwu best girl ever what a wAiFu

Kirito: you know

Hisoka: he is a *cough* you know what *cough* ugh disgusting

Yuno Gasai: I hate her, she is disgusting. I hate yanderes with passion.

Asuna: she has no personality, just a bland "waifu"

Midoriya Izuku: generic shounen mc the new generation, but make him even MoRE ANnOyInG
A crybaby broccoli with his naive ideals and thicc plot armor, I hate him. What does anybody see in him?

Natsu: generic shounen mc

Emilia: the girl with the one personality trait

Tanjirou: he is like Midoriya but with (a bit) less annoying looks and doesn't cry (much) and has a pet. With that said...Nezuko as well.

Gon: generic shounen mc but a little kid?

Armin Arlelt: he is a generic shounen mc except he isn't the mc (or is he) anyway he is annoying especially that they try to act like he is so fricking smart when he just has some common sense, whereas most characters in AoT don't.

Subaru: ugh

This got so long, I apologize.
Xerx62Jul 29, 2021 4:55 AM
"If you accept everything you're told without question, you'll lose your ability to think.
Even if you reached the same conclusion, it would still be worth analysing the reasons behind it."

- Lacie Baskerville, Pandora Hearts
Jul 29, 2021 5:41 AM

May 2021
Mostly battle shounen protagonists. Always find it weird that people care about them in any way, the only thing that kept me going through long-running battle shounens were antagonists and, well, battles lol

@Zaygo we share the same forum avatar it seems lol well, not unexpected, since it's a good picture :p and that colored version looks nice :)
Jul 29, 2021 5:44 AM
Jul 2018
I will probably never understand the reason as to why people like lelouch. He is just a one dimensional light yagami
Jul 29, 2021 6:09 AM

Jul 2021
Eren, Gojou, Levi. All trash garbage characters, dont see why they hyped?
𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗹𝗼𝗼𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗮 𝗮𝗰𝘁𝘂𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗴𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗮𝗻𝗶𝗺𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝘀𝗲 𝗱𝗮𝘆𝘀, 𝘂𝗻𝗳𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘂𝗻𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗹𝘆 𝘀𝗮𝗱𝗹𝘆 𝗶𝘁 𝗱𝗼𝗲𝘀𝗻'𝘁 𝗲𝘅𝗶𝘀𝘁
Jul 29, 2021 6:19 AM
May 2020
Feitan from HxH

I never really understood whats the hype around him
Jul 29, 2021 6:21 AM

Dec 2014
based on the most favorite characters of this site, the most hyped that I never understood is this one: https://myanimelist.net/character/40/Luffy_Monkey_D
Jul 29, 2021 6:25 AM

Dec 2014
Xerx62 said:

Lelouch: at first when watching s1 I kinda got it, but as the story progressed he started annoying me and I thought this dude is actually pretty dumb lol ... so yeah, no thanks

L: He is smart and all but weird, creepy and pretty boring. And I just can't understand why people find him hot lmao

Luffy: Haven't seen much of One Piece but he seems like a very generic shounen mc

Edward Elric: he is not funny even though they try SO hard to make him be, he's just annoying

Naruto: same as Luffy, I guess he is one of the first generic shounen mcs? Part of the originators, thanks Naruto –.–

Mikasa: an annoying Ereh simp all the way to the end (yes I read the manga), she has no personality whatsoever

Eren Yeager: I've always hated him so it made me laugh when after the final chapter his simp fans got sooo disillusioned lol

Rem: oh look, a loli simp who likes violently murdering people uwu best girl ever what a wAiFu

Midoriya Izuku: generic shounen mc the new generation, but make him even MoRE ANnOyInG
A crybaby broccoli with his naive ideals and thicc plot armor, I hate him. What does anybody see in him?

Tanjirou: he is like Midoriya but with (a bit) less annoying looks and doesn't cry (much) and has a pet. With that said...Nezuko as well.

Armin Arlelt: he is a generic shounen mc except he isn't the mc (or is he) anyway he is annoying especially that they try to act like he is so fricking smart when he just has some common sense, whereas most characters in AoT don't.

dude, it's understandable deslike some characters, but you hate everything on the first page, I can't find a better answer than this:

Jul 29, 2021 6:27 AM
Jul 2020
I don't understand why people find Mikasa Ackerman so interesting. She's just an average character. I like the other aot characters way more.
Jul 29, 2021 6:32 AM
Dec 2019
Rem from Re:Zero

Because i am #TeamEmilia
Jul 29, 2021 6:36 AM

Feb 2016
Freeza doesn’t do anything that Piccolo didn’t.

I don’t understand Megumin either.
その目だれの目?
Jul 29, 2021 6:40 AM
Jul 2018
Xerx62 said:

Damn, this guy really hates most of the popular characters out there. I wonder what his character favorites are?

"Levi"
Jul 29, 2021 6:54 AM

May 2021
Levi: HIs voice is flat & monotone and the only thing's he's got going for him is strength and that tacky haircut

Mikasa: Same reason as Levi. Funny because they're related

Monke D Luffy: ????

Rem: I never understood the whole Rem vs Emilia thing

Gasai Yuno: Personal bias but I've dated a clingy girl before so people like her absolutely disgust me
Jul 29, 2021 7:01 AM

Jan 2021
Gojou Satoru, Hitagi Senjougahara etc.
Jul 29, 2021 7:11 AM
Jan 2021
I don't have any characters I know that i never understood the hype around them

When i watch a certain series i keep thinking why people like this certain character why i also like it and what's it's downside of a certain character and so on

so no not really though there is a character that have a lot of favorites that i don't think it deserves the hype it's gojo from jjk but i get it why lot of people like him because of course he's cool im not really a big fan of a character that is only cool and nothing else there's only few character that i found really cool like hikigaya hachiman and yukino also ayanokouji

I like characters that has a lot of depth on them especially if that certain character has different perspective of life it's just so interesting to watch it
Jul 29, 2021 7:18 AM

Mar 2018
Eren Jager...what makes a crybaby who acts as a ruthless hypocrite the best protagonist in anime and manga?
Jul 29, 2021 7:23 AM

Mar 2020
PiyushSan said:

Damn, this guy really hates most of the popular characters out there. I wonder what his character favorites are?
"Levi"

So what? I clearly don't hate all the popular characters. Not even most of them, in fact I only hate a couple of those I mentioned in my post, the rest I just find a little annoying or badly-written. I just wrote my post going down the most favorited character list and it got looong. No need to take it personally they are just characters.
@revelation_guy
Xerx62Jul 29, 2021 7:26 AM
"If you accept everything you're told without question, you'll lose your ability to think.
Even if you reached the same conclusion, it would still be worth analysing the reasons behind it."

Jul 29, 2021 7:26 AM

May 2021
Strengthen said:
I will probably never understand the reason as to why people like lelouch. He is just a one dimensional light yagami

How so? If anything, as much as I like Light, I've always felt Light was a one dimensional Lelouch.

Light is just too set on his god-complex and has no personality except being a sociopath. Lelouch, on the other hand, is a multifaceted character. He has actual doubts about his plans and questions if what he is doing is wrong. He feels the guilt in all that he does, yet still goes with it because it needs to be done.

This alone obviously does not make him a good character, I was merely conveying that Lelouch is not a one dimensional Light, it's the opposite.
Jul 29, 2021 7:31 AM

Dec 2014
Xerx62 said:
PiyushSan said:

"Levi"

So what? I clearly don't hate all the popular characters. Not even most of them, in fact I only hate a couple of those I mentioned in my post, the rest I just find a little annoying or badly-written. I just wrote my post going down the most favorited character list and it got looong. No need to take it personally they are just characters.
@revelation_guy

I didn't take it personally, relax about it, it's just funny your "ARRHHH I HATE EVERYTHING" behavior, it's almost the page 1 dude
Jul 29, 2021 7:33 AM

Dec 2014
PiyushSan said:
Xerx62 said:

"Levi"

but levi it's the type of char made to be loved by most of people, it makes sense @Xerx62 like him at all
Jul 29, 2021 7:40 AM

May 2021
Xerx62 said:

This dude absolutely hates all popular characters except the midget Levi xD
Jul 29, 2021 7:41 AM

Oct 2020
but levi it's the type of char made to be loved by most of people, it makes sense @Xerx62 like him at all

But you can easily say that about all of the others that he complained about. Besides, Levi just there to be cool and fight the growing sexual tension between him and Zeke.

Jul 29, 2021 7:41 AM

Mar 2020
revelation_guy said:

I don't get what you are trying to say. So if I don't like most popular characters I'm not allowed to like a popular character? Just to shock you even more I like Gojou too. Why? Idk I guess I like cool characters. Shocking, right?

Jul 29, 2021 7:43 AM

Dec 2014
Xerx62 said:
revelation_guy said:

I don't get what you are trying to say. So if I don't like most popular characters I'm not allowed to like a popular character? Just to shock you even more I like Gojou too. Why? Idk I guess I like cool characters. Shocking, right?

no, I'm saying levi is a likeable character, almost everyone likes him, make sense someone like levi
Jul 29, 2021 7:48 AM

Dec 2014
maha_thecat said:

But you can easily say that about all of the others that he complained about. Besides, Levi just there to be cool and fight the growing sexual tension between him and Zeke.

and what's the problem of being cool and badass?

the people are ranting about levi as if every character MUST be deep or something, there is no problem in being cool

Jul 29, 2021 8:02 AM
Jun 2021
subaru from Rezero
I don't think he has the qualities of a main characters.. he is NOT lovable
Jul 29, 2021 8:09 AM

Oct 2020
Ranroon said:
subaru from Rezero
I don't think he has the qualities of a main characters.. he is NOT lovable

I haven't seen RE:Zero but isn't this character arc about him evolving from someone unlovable to a better person?

Jul 29, 2021 8:13 AM

Mar 2019
Zero Two.
Out of the characters in the group, she's the second worst after Ichigo.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Jul 29, 2021 8:21 AM

Dec 2018
Subaru from Rezero.

He is literally is just a self insert character. People just get hyped about him because he occasionally has a mental breakdown, which is then forgotten about by the next episode. His breakdowns have little to no impact on the development of his character, other characters, and the story.

Subaru’s characterisation results in Rezero being boring at its best and hard to watch at its worst.
Jul 29, 2021 8:32 AM

Jun 2020
Levi and Mikasa from SnK, Kaori from YLIA, Chika from Kaguya-sama, Gojou from JJK, Bakugo and Todoroki from BNHA.
BiochemistryJul 29, 2021 8:42 AM
Jul 29, 2021 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
Mikasa and Yuno.
A plank of wood>Mikasa
I don't understand why Yuno is so popular. personally, I don't like yandere characters, but she is one of the worst female characters I've ever seen
Jul 29, 2021 9:00 AM

Jun 2015
Zaraki Kenpachi. He's just your typical bloodthirsty mad dog who wants to fight strong opponents, similar to Hisoka or Younger Toguro, but at least Hisoka is active and planning to achieve his goal of fighting strong opponents rather than sitting around, whereas Toguro has a detailed background that explains why he acts like that.
Jul 29, 2021 9:11 AM

Jan 2021
Almost every character in AOT
Kurumi from date a live
Everyone from Oregairu
Everyone from Demon slayer
Sayu from Higehiro
ClobbopusJul 29, 2021 9:17 AM
Just watch anime instead of looking at forums
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » is the word "disney" plot or story a valid criticism?

deg - 8 hours ago

28 by luisfunes99 »»
11 minutes ago

» Why doesn't Hollywood take risk anymore unlike the anime industry? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Yesterday

50 by JaniSIr »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » bad ending means a bad show?

deg - 8 hours ago

24 by Xypheron »»
16 minutes ago

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - Yesterday

40 by SwordBreaker36 »»
25 minutes ago

» Why I won't check out anime based on PC visual novels

littlepaul1002 - 2 hours ago

11 by eblf2013 »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.