Forum Settings
Forums

Isekai critics and haters, how would YOU make an isekai show?

New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 8, 2021 4:00 PM
Mar 2021
main character is an overworked waitress, loses her job after having to deal with a terrible rich asshole and melting down, and then a mysterious person offers her life in another world.

she is summoned to the other world to be a hero by a group of rich nobles that proceed to treat her exactly like the customers at her old job. also, she encounters the evil sorcerer that's supposed to be a huge threat to the kingdom and may bring about the apocalypse, and finds out he's actually a reasonable guy, and hot. so while pretending to be the hero the nobles want, she secretly works with the sorcerer to eventually engineer the noble's demise. enemies to lovers any% speedrun.

it will be highly relatable to anyone in the customer service industry, and will mix shoujo and seinen elements, with romance, intrigue, and some really dark moments especially in the sorcerer's tragic backstory, but also in the evil deeds of the nobles that come to light.

the power system will not be based on video game mechanics, lol.

also the world will be kinda magic-punk, with technology powered by magic crystals, making mining (and the adventuring and fighting required to discover and defend mineral deposits) exceptionally important. and there's several human-ish races treated like garbage, but the thing is...all of them are just a genetic variant of humans, close enough to be in the same genus if not the same species. so it's using the ideas already present in a lot of modern isekai, and going further by making it clear these races aren't inhuman at all, and the cruelty directed at them is a product of the nobility exploiting everyone else (including the "normal" humans, who are led to blame the others for their problems when most of their problems are caused by the nobility being shits).

lol I could write light novels so easily if my attention span weren't garbage.
Sep 10, 2021 11:33 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
nyugvo6 said:
What will you do in your own isekai story (ies) that will make it stand out from the rest and make it more palatable for fellow isekai-distrusters?
I don't care about mass appeal. if you try to appeal to everybody you will make everyone turn away instead. I will do what I like, similar minds will enjoy it all the same.
Agreed with you on this.

my main problem with isekai is that it doesn't matter at all where the mc came from, so putting him in a different world doesn't do anything.
Totally agreed. It seems (I don't watch/read much isekai so I am saying this more tentatively) that most of the isekai anime coming out just straight-up forget that the MC being from another world is a plotpoint, cuz the rest of the story hardly has anything to do with that fact. They seem to be otherwise average fantasy stories where the main character dicks around with endless magic and love interests. You'd think that a guy would get total culture shock upon getting into another world, or be in a huge panic cuz there's no internet, or even frickin plumbing or proper hygiene in a medieval fantasy world. (Ascendance of a Bookworm is an exception, they do actually address the latter point and shows Myne's disgusted face in reaction to it.)

Thanks a lot for reading my post, by the way!

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶
Animaniaig said:
I would make one similar to Twelve Kingdoms in writing style. Namely having a well fleshed out world properly without endless exposition and info dumping. Namely using the very risky but incredibly immersive world building it uses through providing next to no exposition or explanations for the characters or viewer for a good portion of the show until it's actually appropriate contextually whilst making the protagonist far more interesting through NOT being the standard Kirito-esque self insert and prioritising on their growth/maturity as they actually come to terms with a lot of things about their lives.
Sounds difficult to try and do world-building in a way that it's not as expository, but it might be worth the effort.

MercuryLamp_ said:
An isekai, huh... Well first off, I should admit that I'm not well-versed in the genre, I think I can count on my fingers the number of isekai anime I've watched, unless I'm forgetting some titles. That is to say, I'm not necessarily tired or annoyed at the number of isekai anime coming out, because I'm not personally experiencing this whole trend. But on the other hand, what little I've watched left enough of a bad taste in my mouth to not be interested in the genre and I'm well-aware how popular it's become during the past decade or so. But like OP said, being transported to another world is an interesting concept at the end of the day, so I'll take a shot at replying to their question.
Hey, thank you so much for reading my post! :D

I don't know if there is such an isekai because I haven't heard of it and with me barely watching the genre, I obviously haven't watched it, but what about something existential? Something that deals with the solitude and the utter aloneness of the main character being thrown into this new world. Because, however fun or exciting many titles may make it sound, it would actually be psychologically overwhelming to find yourself in a totally new environment, without any previous warnings, somewhere that operates differently from where you come from, looks differently, even worse if you're declared a hero(ine) of sorts and/or have to go on a life-threatening quest and you don't know a single thing concerning fighting/whatever abilities you'll use or how to go about the whole thing. I think some titles have dealt with this aspect to some degree, but eventually the main character gets used to it, grows through it or whatever. How about a story in which this character never comes to terms with their new life? And has no idea what they should do in this world or even questions why they should do anything? Also, knowing that you'll likely never return to the world and people you knew for your whole life, or the things you liked to do, whether you were satisfied or unsatisfied with said life. I know this probably is sounding to dark to some, and it is, I'm not talking of something light, but I'm talking more of a series in which the character's inner psyche is examined and the whole idea of finding oneself in a foreign universe, possibly without much of a hopeful ending. I'm thinking more of an examination of alienation and aloneness rather than something edgy or depressing. If we go with this setting, then the transportation to the other world should be sudden and not occur by the death of the main character. It should never be stated that there's no possibility of going back from where they came from, but there should not be any solutions or hints in sight on how to do so. No special theme to the world, and the character isn't transported to find themselves as a hero, just an ordinary inhabitant of this world. No quest either. Most likely some characters they come across every now and then, but no real friendships or bonds formed. Basically, meaninglessness is all around, it's not a happy story and the ending may at most offer rather than assert hope.
That's... quite a deconstruction. Sorry if I'm using the word wrong, but yeah, that sounds more like a realistic approach as to how someone getting isekai'd might feel. It's like what I said towards someone else earlier in this reply about culture shock. I think it would be cool if there were more isekai like that, the more edgy and depressing stuff is getting more popular lately anyway.

Another idea I had whilst coming across the thread was an allegorical isekai. Again, I don't know if it exists because I've barely watched anything from this genre. But, a world that is parallel to the main character's real world, with characters and events that represent people and events from their real life. An avant-garde touch would be great, with a surrealist design of the other world and the characters from the other world should also have peculiar and odd designs. It should also have lots and lots of symbolism, and the viewer should interpret the story for themselves rather than it giving any straightforward answers. The story should be an allegory of something the main character is going through in their real life and the other world represents their psyche, their fears, desires and such. The character just finds themselves in this world suddenly, and it's not by dying either, as their story in this world will run parallel to the story in their original world.
Don't know if I know any isekai like this either.

Well, I think my ideas are stories with an isekai element thrown in rather than isekai stories, especially the second one. Either way, it was fun coming up with them.
Hey, glad you had fun and thank you for sharing! Those were some great ideas!

Laika_Moonlight said:
Well, in the months since I originally posted here, I have since written and published an isekai webnovel, lol. So I'd definitely just make an adaptation of that (or rather, I'd hope someone else would faithfully adapt it and give me some sort of creative control)
Ayy, the "do it yourself" approach, I like it. Already a lot more productive than I and similar other tired anime fans here, that's for sure.
Thank you for reading my post, too!

Nate75 said:
3) All the top chefs are brought to a world where the king of demons wants the best chef to cook for him so they do intense cooking battles to see who would be #1. Also since it’s related to this to, that same idea but with basketball. The king of a country wants to see the best basketball team to represent his country so they do tournaments to see who is the best. With the sports idea, it would be random players with random difficulty so it would be harder for teamwork. With both ideas though, there is no protagonist and we would get aspects from all the teams and chefs so that way there isn’t a clear winner and the result of losing is death.
Shit, you got me craving now, I would definitely frickin read/watch an isekai like this...

Jennifer_quinnxo said:
My problem with modern day Isekais is that all the MC are boring brunette males that lock themselves in their rooms and have zero respect for women and the fact that Isekais are mostly harems and the female characters are terribly written with their only goal being the MC girlfriend. It’s such a unique genre that has had good shows but mostly bad than good.
Agreed, that's kinda what I was saying in my first post of the thread as well.

Violet42 said:
main character is an overworked waitress, loses her job after having to deal with a terrible rich asshole and melting down, and then a mysterious person offers her life in another world.

she is summoned to the other world to be a hero by a group of rich nobles that proceed to treat her exactly like the customers at her old job. also, she encounters the evil sorcerer that's supposed to be a huge threat to the kingdom and may bring about the apocalypse, and finds out he's actually a reasonable guy, and hot. so while pretending to be the hero the nobles want, she secretly works with the sorcerer to eventually engineer the noble's demise. enemies to lovers any% speedrun.

it will be highly relatable to anyone in the customer service industry, and will mix shoujo and seinen elements, with romance, intrigue, and some really dark moments especially in the sorcerer's tragic backstory, but also in the evil deeds of the nobles that come to light.

also the world will be kinda magic-punk, with technology powered by magic crystals, making mining (and the adventuring and fighting required to discover and defend mineral deposits) exceptionally important. and there's several human-ish races treated like garbage, but the thing is...all of them are just a genetic variant of humans, close enough to be in the same genus if not the same species. so it's using the ideas already present in a lot of modern isekai, and going further by making it clear these races aren't inhuman at all, and the cruelty directed at them is a product of the nobility exploiting everyone else (including the "normal" humans, who are led to blame the others for their problems when most of their problems are caused by the nobility being shits).

I dunno, I think you got some potential there. Maybe start writing this on a web novel site?
Sep 10, 2021 11:49 AM

Mar 2021
Violet42 said:

Violet42 said:

Violet42 said:

Would 100% watch this sounds really good :))
Sep 10, 2021 11:49 AM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
Fario-P said:
Ayy, the "do it yourself" approach, I like it. Already a lot more productive than I and similar other tired anime fans here, that's for sure.
Thank you for reading my post, too!

Yeah, I wanted to enter the MAL x Honeyfeed contest, so I thought why not give it a go? The contest was announced around the time that I started promoting my first novel here on MAL anyway, and feedback on that one was positive enough enough to convince me that there was a "market" for my writing style

And no problem!
My greatest contribution to this website:
Sep 10, 2021 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
I am a critic, I have nothing much against isekai. Just that they pretty much all feel the same.

I would try to mix isekai with a unique concept.
Example:
Concept - The main character gets teleported to a new world whenever he falls in love, the only way he can maintain a relationship is if the other sex loves him. That way he would have to maintain a relationship with someone he doesn't love. (please rate my idea out of 10)
Sep 10, 2021 12:02 PM
Jul 2018
Pakumen- said:
Something to clarify: not liking something (in this case a genre of fiction) does not make you a "hater" of it. Stop being so fragile.

In my case is not necessarily tied to Isekai, but any show that attempts to do self insert or "being relatable" is almost unwatchable for me.

I like the way you said all this, and I have to strongly agree with the "being relatable" part. Anything that exists to be relatable or follow a trend is "ehhhh" (can't put it into words... Sorry...)
Sep 10, 2021 12:06 PM

Nov 2017
No harem
No fan service/ecchi (sum like AoT/Inuyasha/etc..)
No love triangle, just one love interest
Good plot
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Sep 10, 2021 12:59 PM

Aug 2014
While I don't have a pitch of my own for doing Isekai "correctly", I do have one that I enjoy that I doubt anyone here knows much about because it's not even from Japan.

Gwenpool is an ideal way to do an isekai like story in my opinion. Comic fan Gwen Poole is transported into the Marvel world, and she quickly realizes she needs to become a popular enough character, or else face the consequences of a background character and die horribly...offscreen. So she gets herself into crazy adventures and while she's optimistic about it being an escape for her, the Marvel Universe takes every oppurtunity to treat her as a punching bag.

Gwen's psychology is also interesting, as she initially treats everything around her as fake, as her own personal power fantasy and is slowly stripped of that notion, partially due to her starting to genuinely connect with the people around her, no longer seeing them as just background characters and instead fully fledged people.

This arc ends with her

I would take a lot from this, with it being a fun but still character driven story that perfectly uses the transported into a fictional world concept to both be a character study and to explore the power of media itself, something that another Isekai adjacent series that I like, Re:Creators, explores in even more depth.

The problem with the Isekai genre IMO is that it's not using it's full potential, nothing seperates them from any other fantasy series most of the time, with the being transported to another world aspect not being explored at all.
Sep 11, 2021 2:35 AM

Jul 2007
I wouldn't write an isekai since I generally dislike the concept of a character from an outside world suddenly appearing in a different world. I would rather have a traditional fantasy story because the meta narrative that isekai adds is unnecessary. I've felt this way even before the term isekai was popularized. It's just a style of writing that doesn't interest me.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Sep 11, 2021 3:26 AM

Mar 2020
EndlessMaria said:
d. I would rather have a traditional fantasy story because the meta narrative that isekai adds is unnecessary. I've felt this way even before the term isekai was popularized. It's just a style of writing that doesn't interest me.

Yeah people getting forget each day that equal number of light novels that has a traditionally fantasy story where mc is from that world exist and gets made up everyday. But somereason isekai ones got more popular just because the only difference in latter mc gets summoned from another world
Sep 15, 2021 5:16 PM
Sep 2021
I don't know why no one else mentions this, but to me, the isekai genre always stank of human traffic and slave warriors. The typical escapist/isekai story tends to just abduct the characters with no consent or even warning (human traffic), then throw them in some quest to defeat some villain, to only then let them go home (slave warriors). This is not a trend of these new isekai, at least 2 series of Digimon (1st and 4th, only watched those, so I don't speak about the others) are like that. Wizard of Oz (western work, but could be considered "isekai" as well) are also like that (Did Dorothy get a way to go back home before having to fight the witch? No, she didn't). However, at least those works have the "merit" of not treating the whole thing as "OMG! I am in the wonderland where I am badass and invincible!".

Also, the country I live was an "isekai" world. Almost all of the population here descends from people who lived at least one ocean away from this place. Some came on their own will, got their "cheats" (goverment support), and had their happy "isekai" life. Some were kidnapped, brought here on inhumane conditions that killed many of them in the way, enslaved, then abandoned to die when slavery became illegal. Because of those things, the whole concept of it being a power fantasy feels pretty disturbing to me.

All that said, I don't think the genre is ultimate garbage that has absolutely no chance of redeeming itself. I watched (and played, depending on your definition, mine is a bit flexible) some of them, so I have some idea of what I consider terribly disgusting, just annoying, or actually good.

Now that I ranted about the genre, on the questions:

What kind of main character would you make in your own isekai story?
Definitely not the stock isekai MC that has no skills beyond playing RPGs. Not because it's not a skill in any sense, but let's be frank, it is too niche to be truly reliable. Whenever I imagine some MC claiming to know how to deal with some monster becuase the play games, I imagine them meeting some random folklore monster from my country (or any random 3rd world country) and getting killed more stupidly than Kazuma's heart attack in Konosuba, just because they never were used as RPG enemies. I have no issue if the MC is a hardcore gamer though, Log Horizon has plenty of those and it's good. And the characters are badass, not because their "character sheets" says they are, but because they have the skills needed to do what their sheets can't do for them, like political negotiations with the NPCs and each other or fighting enemies which have their own "isekai cheats" themselves.
One thing I think is a must however, is multiple isekai'd characters (the more, the merrier). With only one isekai'd, there aren't many opportunities to discuss the old world. Any possible dialogue about it is limited to MC telling people "my world has this, my world has that". If it ever happens, because depending on the transition circunstancies, it would be a bad idea or just useless to talk about it anyway. With multiple people, however, you have more possible interactions between the summoned characters, you can make them their own faction, you can explore all the different possible reactions to every single thing the new world has to offer (this includes the cheats and whatever RPG mechanic the setting has).

What kind of world will the story take place? What world-building—lore, mythos, magic system, prophecies, society, culture, etc—will you interweave into the setting?
Comtemporary history world, with magic. Because pseudomedieval is already overused. Contemporary age + magic would work particularly well for the 2nd idea (see in the end), I think.
An important thing is the isekai system ifself, or the rules that exist for summoning people around worlds, and everything associated with it. No, "well you're dead, take this new life for free where everything there seems to exist just for your sake". Even if someone is summoned on those terms, I want solid reasons for that. For example, if it is possible to give special powers to people summoned from the old world, why not giving those powers to someone already from the new world? Another important thing are the whole ethics involved on the summoning (remember, summoning people without their consent is human traffic). Why are supposedly good guys taking people from their homes and families and throwing them on quests to save their world instead of doing their job themselves? MC is the Chosen One? Why no one else was chosen? Who chooses the chosen one? With what criteria? What is the agenda of the choosing character? These kind of questions should have answers.

How will you have the main character transported to this other world?
If the good guys are doing the summoning, there must be a previous request and clear instructions on what the summoned characters have to do, with the MC having the right to refuse the quest. That is, the MC needs to be formally hired as a hero. If the good guys don't do this, they are not good guys. Alternatively, have some wild magic / natural disaster causing it, if the idea is summoning the MC without blaming anyone. Or magical accidents (again, if the accidental summoners don't try to help the MC to go back home, they are not the good guys).

What kind of story/plot/conflicts will the main character be part of? Is there a quest of any kind?
MC interests vs summoner interests. MC interests vs other summoned interests. Maybe some people want to go back and some don't. Maybe they have different goals in the new world: some want to play the hero, some want to take over the world.

What will you do in your own isekai story (ies) that will make it stand out from the rest and make it more palatable for fellow isekai-distrusters?
By this point, it looks evident: taking the idea of abducting people from other worlds seriously, and dealing with the consequences, instead of some random self-insertion / power fantasy. I know this can only be done well when those consequences are well understood, though.

What typical isekai tropes/genre tags would you avoid, or even embrace?

• Video game mechanics: I think they can work if done sanely. For example, RWBY has HP bars, and they make sense, since the aura ability creates forcefields around the characters bodies to protect them from damage (making them functionaly equivalent to HP), have technology to track and display it (scrolls), and reasons to do that (having everyone in a team track each other aura helps them to judge their fighting condition). Game HUDs might just be a bunch of spells wizards developed for some convenience. MP is just a magical measurement unit, it could have been calculated and defined using similar techiniques to how we got all of the IS system in RL.
  • The world serving the MC: This applies to multiple tropes. No overpowered / invincible chosen ones (being powerful because of real skill is okay, though), no cheats (aside from old world knowledge, because it would be hard to make an isekai without that), no harems (this does not mean no love interests / love triangles, but main group characters are better with some desires and ambitions beyond making babies with MC) and no allegories of the kind "you came to this world to learn some life lessons", because it feels even more gamey to me than the game mechanics in the new world. For example, Westworld has no game mechanics at all beyond "NPCs can't hurt you for real", and just that is enough for it to look VERY gamey, because everything there exists just for the sake of a power fantasy of the players. Fortunately for it, Westworld doesn't focus on the dude who only comes to the park to play hero or villain, but on all the rest.
  • Overly long titles: No, they are declarations of despair. A title that looks something like "watch this anime, it has <insert random gimmick here>" tells me you it's author has no confidence on it beyond its random gimmick.

Would you parody the whole genre and the whole ridiculousness that comes with it?
Parody, no. They already exist. Deconstruction, yes. Or just construct the genre decently.

Do you have a target demographic in mind for your isekai story (ies)?
Given that every country in the world has their own standard for what is considered acceptable for each age, I have no idea on how to answer that. Something that is rated "for everyone" here could be "13 years or older" in some random place and so does the opposite.

Are there any isekai anime/manga that you actually like? Will you use them as inspiration(s) for your own isekai work(s)?
Already mentioned Log Horizon (SAO, if it was good, see below) and Westworld (can it be called an isekai?).

• Mars Needs Moms: What about the people left behind when the requested "heroes" are abducted? This one is about MC rescuing his mother after she gets abducted by aliens (because as the title says, the aliens need moms, and neighbour planet here has so many, why not picking some?). It does show how abducting people from other worlds is bad and how it can negatively affect the lives of those involved. And that was made for children.
  • Digimon Data Squad / Savers (is it still an isekai when the plot happens on both worlds?): Differently from the other parts I watched, there is no abducting random kids to turn them into power sources for the main digimons because they can't solve their problems themselves (no, seriously, is every other installment of Digimon like that? Feels pretty stupid to me that they need to summon "children with attitude" for every problem their world has and yet still think it's a good idea to isolate both worlds from each other). Instead, it's Man in Black, humans and digimon who don't help protecting the world aren't allowed in the masquerade, (humans are neuralyzed, digimon are turned back into eggs). The isolation of both worlds has a reason: humans and digimon already got some issues with each other and the good guys prefer to avoid worsening them.
  • Revisions: MC's entire city gets sent to the future, and he and his friends fight to defend their city against monsters from the future, while they try to get back to their timeline. There is tension and conflict due to the different opinions and interests on which side to be in the war between revisions and future humans, how to use the now limited resources of the city, like food, water and energy, and who to trust with the mechas used to fight them (because there are more pilots than mechas, and MC behaviour makes him less trustworthy to pilot them).
  • Sword Art Online: I did watch S1 of it, and I saw wasted opportunities everywhere. There are multiple people in that world, like I prefer, but everything runs on MC protagonism, there is almost no exploring of the game mechanics and villain's motivation is literally "I forgot". Nothing more than a deception. If you're inrerested in MMO isekai, just watch Log Horizon instead, can't think a thing it doesn't do better.

There are also some anime I only watched or overheard random episodes of, since my brother watched them in the living room or with speakers. What I am writing below might either be true or a misunderstanding, I don't know.

• So I'm a Spider, so what?: The spider part is basically a fantasy version of Animal Channel, with videogame HUDs. And from what I saw, it's Hard Mode, MC has to adapt and figure out how to survive everything thrown at her, from massive waves of weaker monsters to dragon bosses. The human part seems to be cliche and stupid at first, with the whole chosen hero, "kill everything with Taboo stat" and demon king thing, but I know there is a conspiration later that makes the plot more serious. Maybe I will watch it for real.
  • The Rising of The Shield Hero: Garbage. My brother showed me the trial of the princess in the end and it was disgusting. Right after watching it, my mother and me had to explain to him why the slave marks (which saved MC twice, by both guaranteeing the party members he needed and being used on his revenge in the trial) are horrible and dangerous. Also, the absurds, MC being accused of raping the princess and let around instead of being killed or imprisoned and tortured forever (this actually happened in my city for real, but the rapists were all hunted down, even the one who was already arrested in another state for another crime, and brought to the father of the raped girl, who tortured them until their deaths), and no one bothers with the fact that without the MC the kingdom is missing 1 of the heroes needed to defend it. What did the princess gain from accusing the MC of rape and stealing his things? Isn't she the princess? Seems like the plot is just a bunch of excuses to make sure that trial scene would happen in the end.
  • Konosuba: I actually watched some of the first episodes. Stupid, but it is a parody anyway. I give it some points for throwing Aqua in the "defeat the demon king" quest, the scene where she is desperately begging to not get isekai'd alongside Kazuma is hilarious.

Now, the ideas themselves:

Idea 1 - Isekai veterans:
So what happens to the summoned people after they are sent on their quests? MC is a veteran who figures out he is just being used to fight his summoners wars for them after experiencing the horrors of being in the frontlines (including some party member deaths), so he focuses on escaping the new world, then after finding a way to travel between all worlds, strikes back, deciding to revenge himself and all fellow killed isekai heroes for being abducted and prevent new victims from them. His allies are less noble: other veterans who, after finishing their quests, got kicked away, but didn't want to give up the power fantasies they lived on the new worlds, so they also go back and pillage whatever treasure and powers from those worlds they can get their hands on. Some worlds might also keep their most loyal and powerful veterans, since their protection is convenient (specially against other veterans). The conflict is between the isekai kingdoms trying to keep their sources of super soldiers (both the summoning and the magical powers given to them) and the veterans trying to keep the powers they got during their adventures + MC revenge for all the people sacrificed for the sake of the isekai worlds.

Idea 2 - No isekai heroes, please:
MC has an actually troubled life (with a dangerous and underpaid job, struggling to earn enough to eat), eventually dies from such job, is sent to new world for the standard "kill demon king" quest, but ends up figuring out the summoners are a racist organization that wants to exterminate all other races in the new world (run by elves. Why elves? Because humans are "elves with round ears", so they have a reason to be okay with summoning them), and knowing how evil this is, gets out of the party. Later, thanks to the new world natives, MC gets a home and a better life. However, with the other summoned people threatening the safety of the new world, MC also has to confront them. Add some scenes like MC ambulance running over the rest of the party in Final Destination style, people running in panic when the isekai "heroes" attempt to murder the "demon king", MC realizing himself to be homeless and with no way to male a living in the new world after jumping out of the isekai party, and the tone is set. The decontruction here is the irony of MC getting a better life in the new world because of the very people attempting to destroy it. As an extra motivation, the organization also has the means to transport people between the worlds, so MC has to take it from them to go back for the people in the old world who needed his help.

Now that I am reading this, I see this reply ended up being much longer than I expected. I did have a lot to say, after all.
Sep 15, 2021 9:59 PM

Feb 2016
Bird_of_Steel said:
"OMG! I am in the wonderland where I am badass and invincible!"

"well you're dead, take this new life for free where everything there seems to exist just for your sake"

These are 2 of my greatest gripes with anime isekai. After reading your wall of text, I would like to recommend Keys to the Kingdom, a series of novels by Garth Nix. It stars a protagonist who hates the isekai world and wants to reject the massive powers granted to him. Instead of bad guys and good guys, we have the guys who want to kill the protagonist and those who use him for their own ends. His enemies are as overpowered as he is. The world's fashions change on a whim, but they are always Earth-inspired because its creator has an Earth fetish. Other mortal children are taken from Earth and kept as slaves.
その目だれの目?
Sep 17, 2021 8:02 PM
Sep 2021
I won't make. I will just end the existence of the genre.
Isekai, Ecchi and Harem are garbage!
FACTS
Sep 20, 2021 7:19 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Bird_of_Steel said:
I don't know why no one else mentions this, but to me, the isekai genre always stank of human traffic and slave warriors. The typical escapist/isekai story tends to just abduct the characters with no consent or even warning (human traffic), then throw them in some quest to defeat some villain, to only then let them go home (slave warriors). This is not a trend of these new isekai, at least 2 series of Digimon (1st and 4th, only watched those, so I don't speak about the others) are like that. Wizard of Oz (western work, but could be considered "isekai" as well) are also like that (Did Dorothy get a way to go back home before having to fight the witch? No, she didn't). However, at least those works have the "merit" of not treating the whole thing as "OMG! I am in the wonderland where I am badass and invincible!".

Also, the country I live was an "isekai" world. Almost all of the population here descends from people who lived at least one ocean away from this place. Some came on their own will, got their "cheats" (goverment support), and had their happy "isekai" life. Some were kidnapped, brought here on inhumane conditions that killed many of them in the way, enslaved, then abandoned to die when slavery became illegal. Because of those things, the whole concept of it being a power fantasy feels pretty disturbing to me.

All that said, I don't think the genre is ultimate garbage that has absolutely no chance of redeeming itself. I watched (and played, depending on your definition, mine is a bit flexible) some of them, so I have some idea of what I consider terribly disgusting, just annoying, or actually good.
Oooookay... well first of all, I must thank you sincerely for actually reading my thread. It is also an honor that you chose to post on here for your first forum post, and you even went out of your way to answer all the questions even though it wasn't necessary. Based on the quality of your first post, I honestly hope you stick around these forums and enjoy your stay. :)

Now... you do make a good point about this all being a weird form of power fantasy, thinking about it that way or just the way someone would actually feel if they were trapped in another world that they're hardly familiar or comfortable with... but I'm glad you agree with me that even isekai can be somewhat redeemable with its own share of gems. I'd ask what you've seen since your lists are empty, but I guess we'll get to that in a moment haha.

Definitely not the stock isekai MC that has no skills beyond playing RPGs. Not because it's not a skill in any sense, but let's be frank, it is too niche to be truly reliable. Whenever I imagine some MC claiming to know how to deal with some monster becuase the play games, I imagine them meeting some random folklore monster from my country (or any random 3rd world country) and getting killed more stupidly than Kazuma's heart attack in Konosuba, just because they never were used as RPG enemies.
. . .
One thing I think is a must however, is multiple isekai'd characters (the more, the merrier). With only one isekai'd, there aren't many opportunities to discuss the old world. Any possible dialogue about it is limited to MC telling people "my world has this, my world has that". If it ever happens, because depending on the transition circunstancies, it would be a bad idea or just useless to talk about it anyway. With multiple people, however, you have more possible interactions between the summoned characters, you can make them their own faction, you can explore all the different possible reactions to every single thing the new world has to offer (this includes the cheats and whatever RPG mechanic the setting has).
Yeah, it's pretty dumb to think you can slay an actual monster in front of you just because you played a game that featured it. Logic...

You know, I didn't think about that before, but yeah, having multiple isekai'd characters does sound like a good idea. Adding that would definitely make the isekai trope an actually more relevant plotpoint rather than just a trending shitpost (like most of the genre is at this point) to add onto the dumpster fire, that's for sure.

What kind of world will the story take place? What world-building—lore, mythos, magic system, prophecies, society, culture, etc—will you interweave into the setting?
. . .
An important thing is the isekai system ifself, or the rules that exist for summoning people around worlds, and everything associated with it. No, "well you're dead, take this new life for free where everything there seems to exist just for your sake". Even if someone is summoned on those terms, I want solid reasons for that.
Agreed with you and @Lucifrost that your mock quote seemingly being unironically used in a lot of isekai anime is kinda dumb.

What kind of story/plot/conflicts will the main character be part of? Is there a quest of any kind?
MC interests vs summoner interests. MC interests vs other summoned interests. Maybe some people want to go back and some don't. Maybe they have different goals in the new world: some want to play the hero, some want to take over the world.
This is another instance where your multiple-characters suggestion would work well with here.

. . .
  • Overly long titles: No, they are declarations of despair. A title that looks something like "watch this anime, it has <insert random gimmick here>" tells me you it's author has no confidence on it beyond its random gimmick.
Hard agree, long titles as seen in most recent light novels are honestly just stupid.

Are there any isekai anime/manga that you actually like? Will you use them as inspiration(s) for your own isekai work(s)?
. . .
  • Digimon Data Squad / Savers (is it still an isekai when the plot happens on both worlds?): Differently from the other parts I watched, there is no abducting random kids to turn them into power sources for the main digimons because they can't solve their problems themselves (no, seriously, is every other installment of Digimon like that? Feels pretty stupid to me that they need to summon "children with attitude" for every problem their world has and yet still think it's a good idea to isolate both worlds from each other). Instead, it's Man in Black, humans and digimon who don't help protecting the world aren't allowed in the masquerade, (humans are neuralyzed, digimon are turned back into eggs). The isolation of both worlds has a reason: humans and digimon already got some issues with each other and the good guys prefer to avoid worsening them.
I barely remember watching a few eps of Digimon Savers when it showed up on Cartoon Network India sometime in the past...
I mean, well, some people do consider InuYasha an isekai, even though it's more of a time travel story (based on the few chapters I read long ago) and Kagome does get to go back home occasionally, so this Digimon probably might be isekai too? I dunno, I never finished this show nor do I actually remember anything other than being surprised at how dramatic it was. Interesting to note in your post regardless of whether it really is an isekai or not, especially since no one ever mentions this show, not even on the few Digimon discussions around here.

Now, the ideas themselves:

Idea 1 - Isekai veterans:
So what happens to the summoned people after they are sent on their quests? MC is a veteran who figures out he is just being used to fight his summoners wars for them after experiencing the horrors of being in the frontlines (including some party member deaths), so he focuses on escaping the new world, then after finding a way to travel between all worlds, strikes back, deciding to revenge himself and all fellow killed isekai heroes for being abducted and prevent new victims from them. His allies are less noble: other veterans who, after finishing their quests, got kicked away, but didn't want to give up the power fantasies they lived on the new worlds, so they also go back and pillage whatever treasure and powers from those worlds they can get their hands on. Some worlds might also keep their most loyal and powerful veterans, since their protection is convenient (specially against other veterans). The conflict is between the isekai kingdoms trying to keep their sources of super soldiers (both the summoning and the magical powers given to them) and the veterans trying to keep the powers they got during their adventures + MC revenge for all the people sacrificed for the sake of the isekai worlds.

Idea 2 - No isekai heroes, please:
MC has an actually troubled life (with a dangerous and underpaid job, struggling to earn enough to eat), eventually dies from such job, is sent to new world for the standard "kill demon king" quest, but ends up figuring out the summoners are a racist organization that wants to exterminate all other races in the new world (run by elves. Why elves? Because humans are "elves with round ears", so they have a reason to be okay with summoning them), and knowing how evil this is, gets out of the party. Later, thanks to the new world natives, MC gets a home and a better life. However, with the other summoned people threatening the safety of the new world, MC also has to confront them. Add some scenes like MC ambulance running over the rest of the party in Final Destination style, people running in panic when the isekai "heroes" attempt to murder the "demon king", MC realizing himself to be homeless and with no way to male a living in the new world after jumping out of the isekai party, and the tone is set. The decontruction here is the irony of MC getting a better life in the new world because of the very people attempting to destroy it. As an extra motivation, the organization also has the means to transport people between the worlds, so MC has to take it from them to go back for the people in the old world who needed his help.

Now that I am reading this, I see this reply ended up being much longer than I expected. I did have a lot to say, after all.
Those are some pretty good starting points for ideas.
It's odd that your isekai veteran idea isn't more of a thing considering how many isekai quest stories have come out over the years. You'd think an "isekai after story" would be more interesting to tackle for once, huh? I guess not... and it's also weird to not hear about isekai heroes questioning the job they've been given as seen in your other idea. If everyone's been making magical girls question their jobs and powers for the past several years, why not put the same thing in isekai? Shit will sell no matter what anyone does, so why don't people start producing anime that still are isekai but actually tried to experiment and tinker with the idea a bit more?

...I feel like I should say more, but your post honestly leaves me speechless. In a good way.

Again, thank you so much for playing my game reading my thread!

Sep 20, 2021 8:27 AM

Jul 2020
Truck-kun runs over a NEET and the truck gets Isekai'd to a fantasy world.
Sep 20, 2021 8:50 AM
Aug 2020
This question comes with the idea that you think anime fans generally have talent or resources.

Nah, I think they just like complaining and whining.
Sep 20, 2021 9:53 AM

Apr 2020
Well it’s already made ,It’s called the Chronicles of Narnia ,it’s isn’t exactly but have it’s elements.
Sep 20, 2021 10:00 AM

Oct 2019
If the main problem about isekai is copying titles like SAO then to make it better it has to copy the good isekais like Juuni Kokuki and Youjo Senki.

Sep 20, 2021 10:17 AM
Aug 2020
Tristar_Shinobi said:
Well it’s already made ,It’s called the Chronicles of Narnia ,it’s isn’t exactly but have it’s elements.

Even better is Robot Chicken's The Chronicles of Narnia.
Oct 10, 2021 10:11 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Firebind2 said:
This question comes with the idea that you think anime fans generally have talent or resources.

I genuinely believe that a select few can actually find talent and resources if they really tried.
I have been trying to find some of those diamonds in the rough myself.

The following post is from another thread where someone posted an idea...

ThatONEStupidGuy said:
i personally am not a fan of isekai shows but know some stuff about it from memes and general discussion now and then.. Bcos of this idk if there is an isekai with the this concept already or if this idea will work nonetheless here it is:

So instead of an otaku stuck in getting transported to the fantasy world , this time its his entire family - him, his dad, mom, sister and even their dog.
And to put a spin on truck-kun hitting him, this time the entire family was on like a road trip or going for a picnic but gets into an accident/crash and this gets them isekaid.
  • The father- a pretty nihilistic dude (similar to zetsubo sensei)
  • The mother- an extroverted, kind, caring mom
  • the sister- fcking annoying and bratty (because no one likes kids)
  • the mc- an otaku introverted dude.
(these above characteristics are ones i just came up with)

i also wanted to change where they get isekaid to and thought of it being the future but that wouldn't work most prolly. if u have any ideas mention.

and btw i am not the best at art/writing so i dont really plan to make it anything soon
I just wanted to know others' opinions about this idea..i think its pretty decent.

(this whole this cud be a waste if there is already an isekai with this concept)
it's... admittedly not that much of an idea... much less a completely original one...
but it's a good starting point at least, since most isekai hardly do the bare minimum of changes and i've never really heard of a whole family getting isekai'd before. develop it a bit further with other elements and stuff, and then let us all know when you've started writing it in a web novel writing site like Honeyfeed or something.

maybe watch some videos on isekai for some inspiration:

hope you actually try writing an isekai soon though, good luck ✩
Oct 11, 2021 3:58 AM
Apr 2014
First off, People shouln't consider Isekai an genre. It is a plot device and since most of the Isekais plays out in a fantasy world, the Fantasy genre would be more fitting. Anyways, answering the 9 questions. I am actually writing a fantasy story heavily inspired by all the animés I've watched the past 10 years or so.

1. It's about two beastgirls. An excentric doggirl and a Tsundere Catgirl.

2. The initial story will take place in a medivel setting. The lore itself is that humans don't belong here, but they are all descendants from 12 human people that got summoned here 3000 years ago during a great war between the deamons and the dragons. The magic system is pretty complex but to keep it short. All species (except humans) are born with one of 13 elemental magic power (think it as of pokémon types), they can also cast magic spells and they can sometimes possess an ability (known as a blessing or a curse). Even humans can do magic but needs magic stones to do so. Profecis are spoilers for a future story not relevant to the first arc I'm currently writing about. Society is medivel-esque, however there are some signs of racism between species, especially towards humans.

3. They are actually born here. However, the MCs does go back in time as Dual loopers.
4. Being cursed as loopers, going back to a set point in time every time they die (like Subaru's return by death) takes a toll. The Catgirl simply hates the Doggirl for having her cursed and ruining her life and that makes them just being crazy towards each other as the dog girl wants to keep being friends with the cat girl and the cat girl is determined to break the dog girls soul in order to be alone.

5. Well, the Isekai thing is part of the lore instead of the story. The humanity tries to go back to earth but have never succeded in the past 3000 years. As for the girls. my first story is just my attempt to make a better version of Higurashi Gou/Sotsu by borrowing elements from Re:zero and the mind-game feelings from Umineko, NGNL and Darwin's game etc.

6. I'll avoid most of the tropes. Seeing an overpowered MC getting transported to an MMORPG world is just lazy.

7. No. I am more into the mood of writing something that will put readers on edge, writing colorful characters that people must protect and then put them to hell and back.

8. Young adults. Altough the 1st book might be 18+ unfortunately due to it's nature. I mean, if Redo of Healer can get away with it's henati shit, then could I?

9. Re:zero, Mushoku Tensei. Possibly The faraway paladin depending on how it will go. I have a good feeling about it. Other inspirations taken into my works are: A Certain Magical Index, Freiren, The journey beyond the end and Last Exile (although this one will be more about future arcs and not the initial one.) Other inspirations are mostly from Harry Potter and the writing style is more western-like whilst being character driven, since that is what I am familiar with from books I've read from my youth.

The story is written in Swedish but Google translate are actually good to translate it. Yoou can read it here but I will stop making new chapters for the WN itself when we reach the point where they actually go back in time for the first time.

https://www.webnovel.com/book/twin-loopers-(svenska-swedish)_20882248606996305
Oct 11, 2021 5:13 AM
Aug 2020
Fario-P said:
Firebind2 said:

I genuinely believe that a select few can actually find talent and resources if they really tried.
I have been trying to find some of those diamonds in the rough myself.

Well I wish you luck in that department.
Oct 11, 2021 12:43 PM

Oct 2015
> Social outcast otaku goes to another world, but temporarily.

> Is still a social outcast because it's literally a different world with customs and people even more foreign to what he is used to.

> He can barely take care of himself because he doesn't have the modern conveniences he's used to and realises he really doesn't know how to do basic shit without a shop and the internet.

> Has no friends because he's in a foreign land with different social norms and he can't fit in.

> Doesn't build a harem because the girls naturally think he's some weird foreign guy who has a weird name, speaks the language with an accent, and eats strange foods. (You all know this guy. You made fun of him at school)

> Realises that it wasn't the world that needed to change, it was him.

> Moral or the story is rather than being given an easy fantasy world where you are the centre of everything and everyone you should get off your weeb ass and try to be the best version of yourself in the imperfect world we were all born into.

The best Isekai is Spirited Away for a fucking reason.
Nov 6, 2021 2:34 PM
Mar 2021
An alcoholic is reincarnated in a world without alcohol, and must Dr.Stone/Ascendance of a Bookworm their way to their favorite cocktail.
Nov 10, 2021 11:49 PM

Nov 2019
Not a hater of isekai but I would love to see more modern to ancient/primitive world isekai/reincarnation like ascendance of a bookworm or Mushoku Tensei or Worlds best assassin and even CHOHOYU where they use modern technology in the primitive world. Extra points for the use of firerams and intercontinental seeking missile armory in an ancient world like GATE/Zipang but without the SDF worship.
Dec 5, 2021 7:30 PM
Apr 2021
I'm not an isekai hater. I just don't like most isekai that come out these days. I wouldn't make an isekai show, as I'm not a fan of the genre.
Idk how to make a fancy signature with an image. I'll figure it out when I'm not so tired
Dec 5, 2021 7:35 PM

Mar 2021
how would i make an isekai show?

i simply wouldn't.

/thread
Dec 16, 2021 8:35 PM

Feb 2016
Dragon Ball Super is better than most isekai anime. It's also better than Dragon Ball Z and Kai, and I don't understand why so many longtime fans rate it low. Dragon Ball is to me what Yu-Gi-Oh is to you, except I don't regret waiting this long to watch it.
その目だれの目?
Dec 16, 2021 10:05 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Lucifrost said:
Dragon Ball Super is better than most isekai anime. It's also better than Dragon Ball Z and Kai, and I don't understand why so many longtime fans rate it low. Dragon Ball is to me what Yu-Gi-Oh is to you, except I don't regret waiting this long to watch it.
Haha yeah I really need to get to watching more Dragon Ball, that Super Broly movie was really something in theaters too.
Jan 24, 2022 2:41 AM

Jan 2018
Isekai is just fantasy in disguise anyway lol
Jan 24, 2022 11:42 AM

Jul 2019
Idk if I have already commented on this thread, but fuck it.

I am not even a critic, but most criticism comes from the fact that it is something of a blown-out of proportion theme lol. Every season, 2 or 3 isekai (synonymous with fantasy) just come out to play and no one really wants to see that anymore.

I'd just make something of a sincere genuine SoL. Or something like Re:Zero if I am feeling artistic.
Jan 24, 2022 11:45 AM

Jun 2008
The type of Isekai that I would like to make would be something like Aura Battler Dunbine. It would be lore heavy, character driven, ambitious in scope, the narrative would be sprawling, and focus deeply on the political situation in another world. Isekai's are the perfect genre to explore contrasting world ideas in great depth. It's just unfortunate that most become harem romances or slice of nothing happens.
Jan 25, 2022 1:51 PM

May 2021
Make it not the same thng over and over again with a single microscopic difference
Inhales oxygen
Jan 25, 2022 4:39 PM
Sep 2020
simple, i wouldn't fucking make one or if i really had to, it would be 1 episode special where they all fucking die
Jan 25, 2022 5:04 PM

Mar 2017
Maybe one that visits a different alternate world every episode, in a manner similar to the TV series "Quantum Leap".
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jan 27, 2022 10:09 AM

Oct 2019
removed-user said:
I have only watched 2 isekai and both of them disappointed me.

Re zero: at first that show was so good for me and it's cliffhanger was amazing.but later in season they r fighting a RPG whale for 2-3 episode.there's no mystery behind any character.there's a old soldiers who had grudge against whale and his story was so dumb even our protagonist back story is so dumb...that show just didn't maintained mystery...they should learn from AOT (maintaining mystery of whole plot) and naruto (maintaining mystery behind each character)...

No game no life: damm this show is so dumb ...
There is no sense of suspense /thrill in any game ...all games r kinda ass-pull.... writter just told us that they r intelligent...but never showed us...
1.they can predict in word game ,what word opponent will say next ... how?..is it even possible?..there r 100000 possibilities ...
2.chess was totally mind fuck (in wrong way)..yaah he was ready to let pieces to f*ck every women...
3.playing Othello without board....coin toss.....etc

In the defense of Re:Zero and NGNL it is both have fantasy setting so just chilled it. Re:Zero have a lot of mysteries and you will get the most answer from watching season 2. Season 1 is just introduction of Subaru to that world where they have 7 witches. One of them is Satella the witch of Envy and the creation (white whale) of Daphne the witch of Gluttony. Probably you should continue the season 2 because at the moment they aired it for free in Muse Asia.

NGNL is the series when you need to constantly thinking to increasing your winning rate. Every race will probably cheat their way to win the game, because if they lose they will lose their asset. Every game have their version of rule, you shouldn't accept it without thinking how to win the game. And we still haven't see Sora and Shirou challenge Tet, so still hoping they get another shoot.
Jan 27, 2022 10:49 AM

Oct 2019
* What kind of main character would you make in your own isekai story?
* The one who wanted to get back to his own world, develop together with the series, having second thought to going back to his original world because he already growth and make a close circle in his new world.

* What kind of world will the story take place? What world-building—lore, mythos, magic system, prophecies, society, culture, etc—will you interweave into the setting?
* What is the point of ISEKAI if it is the same old boring world, you need fantasy if you want make it appealing enough. Or we also have option reverse isekai, transported from fantasy life to normal human life.

* How will you have the main character transported to this other world?
* One of his/her parents is from the isekai world. The other world needed their parents but instead get his/her child and their friends. You have the hope of return home and get the reason why you need to get transported to other world. So it is the story of second generation.

* What kind of story/plot/conflicts will the main character be part of? Is there a quest of any kind?
* Mostly maybe the journey to safe the world from evil villain. Maybe the MC will meet teacher or love interest, other isekai sibling, the betrayed of friends, the death of his close friends, unfolding mysteries of the world, choosing to connect the two world or not etc.

* What will you do in your own isekai story (ies) that will make it stand out from the rest and make it more palatable for fellow isekai-distrusters?
* The MC won't have OP traits like hero, he/she need to grown up and challenge their problem or the status quo with strategy or even exp from their original world. The enemy will have a lot of UNO REVERSE card and we will have some casualties in our main cast. You will also need interesting supporting cast that can elevate the story higher. We will still have comedy relief character, but we will need more character that can be relatable to our situation.

* What typical isekai tropes/genre tags would you avoid, or even embrace?
* Mecha and Sci-fi because you will need an extra work to combine the series with logic and fantasy.

* Would you parody the whole genre and the whole ridiculousness that comes with it?
* I think I won't parody it like Konosuba, lets have proper fantasy adventure like old time. We also doesn't need to make it people from Japan that being transported to other world, so we don't have to use anime/game culture to collaborative it to the story.

* Do you have a target demographic in mind for your isekai story (ies)?
* If it is adventure maybe it will targeted to young boys and girls but it should have bring enjoyment too to older one like young parents.

* Are there any isekai anime/manga that you actually like? Will you use them as inspiration(s) for your own isekai work(s)?
* I have a lot of Isekai anime reference that I like to put in to the story, For example MAR, Digimon 01, Inuyasha, Knight Ramune, Utawarerumono, Idaten Jump, Webdiver, Familiar of Zero, Spirited Away, Summer Wars, Ni No Kuni, and other series too.
Apr 3, 2022 4:50 AM

May 2021
removed-user said:

that show just didn't maintained mystery...they should learn from AOT (maintaining mystery of whole plot)

Please visit your nearest therapist if you actually think AoT's joke of a lore compares to Re: Zero's in any way, shape or form.

Apr 3, 2022 5:46 AM
Oct 2016
I like isekai as a whole but this seems like a fun idea.

An average one with room for growth who is allowed to fail. The fact that he's from another world would mostly be a demerit at first: He doesn't know the culture, the language, he's not used to constant danger etc...

I'd make an MMORPG one. I know it's been done before, but so many of them are generic and forgettable. I want more Log Horizon-like iseaki, where the world is clearly in a game and not just a game-esque fantasy land.

How will you have the main character transported to this other world?
Not just character, characters. Just like with Log Horizon, I want the transport into another world thing not be just for a single person or pair or high school class. Two ideas so far: The other world is summoning people from our world because something went horribly wrong and they need backup. You can actually volunteer to be summoned in the original world and it's a known thing in the world.
The other happens via death. The idea is that both our world and the isekai world are created by the same being, but one entity messed up the soul guidance system that's supposed to guide souls to their respective worlds. When the container of the soul vanishes, the isekai world's overseers can use magic to grab and drag the souls to their rightful place. They are known as Misborns in the isekai world.

The initial conflict would be adjustment to the world in both cases. It's another world, not just a our world but with an elf harem. There is a main objective in both scenarios, one is the win the cyclical battle against the Destroyers, the other is finding out who fucked up the world so much that they need to summon people from another world and bring them to justice.

I'm gonna tackle both of this at once because there seem to be a lot of cliches to avoid.
No op main character
Actual useful male sidecharacters
Harem is present in one of them, but it actually makes sense in the story
The other world is another world that is not so easily adjusted to for a 21st century citizen of a peaceful nation
Probably a lot more I can't recall right now

Would you parody the whole genre and the whole ridiculousness that comes with it?
I would take some jabs at it, but won't go full Konosuba or Cautious Hero

Do you have a target demographic in mind for your isekai story (ies)?
One is going to be a pretty explicit one so whoever is into that thing will like it. Hopefully.
The other is just a fantasy-gaming story action-adventure-mmorpg style I hope it will be able to deliver.

Yeah Log Horizon is a big inspiration to me to what to do and Isekai Smarthphone is a good example for me what not to do.
Apr 3, 2022 6:43 AM

Dec 2021
In the opening scene our MC gets hit by a bus. Then the credits roll. Then I make a good show instead.
Apr 5, 2022 1:02 AM

Aug 2013
Fario-P said:
How would YOU make an isekai show?
I wouldn't obviously, next question.
Apr 5, 2022 1:27 AM

Aug 2021
i love isekai but i am answering anyway...

I would make a isekai where everything is chaotic like gintama
Stawberry Milk Supremacy
Apr 5, 2022 1:31 AM
Jun 2021
Frankly just do another mecha isekai. Knights and Magic was like what, 4 years ago? After all Aura Battler Dunbine was the first isekai, and that show is pretty damn great.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 14, 2022 2:24 AM

Mar 2022
Amebix said:
Transport the MC to literally anywhere besides a fantasy JRPG world

Yes to this!

And idk if it would work but it may be cool to see an isekai anime in a format similar to Black Mirror, where each episode is longer more psychological and maybe has new characters each time... could be much more work tho? 乁(ᴗ ͜ʖ ᴗ)ㄏ

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘
Apr 14, 2022 2:51 AM

Aug 2020
sonny boy is the prime example of what an isekai anime should be
Apr 16, 2022 10:41 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
bumping again before i respond, also busy laughing at the absurdity of the recent Isekai Smartphone S2 announcement

look i'm sorry i promise i'll make a proper response real soon... i really hate college assignment workload

Apr 16, 2022 12:16 PM

Jan 2008
Take out the fanservice, make the actual isekai part more relevant instead of just skipping over it, have decent power scaling, make the MC actually interesting and not godlike, drop the harem for a more balanced set of companions of mixed genders. Avoid standard fantasy tropes and try a different setting.

Alternatively I'll have Truck kun as an actual character going across worlds trying to isekai incels but only end up just killing them instead.
Apr 16, 2022 12:55 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Since inu yasha is considered isekai where kagomi goes back in time through the well, i made something like that..

A police detective while working in the evidence room accidentally goes back during the Victorian era or edo period through a hidden floor storage under a storage rack..

There with the knowledge from the future and technology he starts solving crimes and solves the cases and cold cases and opens his detective office... He can to back and forth like kagomi in inuyasha .

Mystery isekai

Apr 16, 2022 1:55 PM

Feb 2016

She looks like the half-British Karen Kujo.
その目だれの目?
Apr 16, 2022 2:03 PM
Dec 2017
Fario-P said:
bumping again before i respond, also busy laughing at the absurdity of the recent Isekai Smartphone S2 announcement

In the words of Jack Garland the edgelord who managed to outedged neku "bullshit!"

Well you know what time that means....... web novel time

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Exploring Taste Shaming

-Indra - May 30

38 by Anjuro »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime which quality considerably decreased with production of new series

Shabo-kun - 6 minutes ago

0 by Shabo-kun »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - May 29

88 by Adnash »»
7 minutes ago

» Is "English anime dub voice" a thing?

Anjuro - 4 hours ago

13 by WatchTillTandava »»
17 minutes ago

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - May 16

128 by Shizuna »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.