Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2018 7:47 PM

Sep 2018
Honestly, I agree. While it seems like it's something overly specific, it really isn't. It's capable of being a broad genre much like "fantasy" and "supernatural"; animes that share these genres have similar themes, but are usually still quite different from each other.

We already use highly specific tags like "vampire" and all that jazz. Adding another specific-yet-broad tag can only be helpful to isekai enthusiasts. Don't see the harm in it when we have lots of other tags that you could argue are excessively specific.
♪ MAL card collector and anime challenge enjoyer
♫ My alignment is Chaotic Stupid™

Anime Challenges
Card Collection
DELIVER HERE!
Oct 9, 2018 4:10 AM
Mar 2014
Yeah, imo there's enough to add another tag
Oct 23, 2018 9:30 AM

Sep 2015
Zefyris said:
Uh NO?

It's not a genre but a setting element...

Just like space, school.

It's a mistake to think MAL's categories are genre tagging. Among all the tags that the site calls genres about a quarter are actual genres and even those are very broad and are used loosely. Like 80% of the 'historical' stuff are actually fantasy, not even set into the historical times of the real world. And most of the rest are fantasy set in the real world.

There are no genre for magical girls either which is a pretty anime specific genre. The combination of Magic and Shoujo is not that. Shoujo is a demografic and Magic is a setting element.

The problem with tagging is not just the absence of specific 'genres'. It really needs to be remade from scratch.
Oct 23, 2018 10:47 AM

Apr 2013
Heldengeist said:
Zefyris said:
Uh NO?

It's not a genre but a setting element...

Just like space, school.

It's a mistake to think MAL's categories are genre tagging. Among all the tags that the site calls genres about a quarter are actual genres and even those are very broad and are used loosely. Like 80% of the 'historical' stuff are actually fantasy, not even set into the historical times of the real world. And most of the rest are fantasy set in the real world.

There are no genre for magical girls either which is a pretty anime specific genre. The combination of Magic and Shoujo is not that. Shoujo is a demografic and Magic is a setting element.

The problem with tagging is not just the absence of specific 'genres'. It really needs to be remade from scratch.

Space & school are usually at the very least also an important theme whenever they're here. Isekai is usually not even relevant as a main theme in the story, only here to set up the initial situation and not used 95 % of the time (baring cases where they move regularly between the two, like Gate for example). Same for mahou shoujo, it's usually a main theme of the story.
So Isekai is worse by far as a tag.
Oct 23, 2018 10:51 AM

Sep 2015
@Zefyris
Mahou Shoujo is not a single bit less important than Mecha, Vampire or Demons.

As for Isekai, it would also make it easier to look for a specific kind of anime and it's really popular lately so a lot of people would benefit from having it. And since the majority of the tags are not genres, this could be added too.
Oct 24, 2018 9:32 AM

Apr 2013
Heldengeist said:
@Zefyris
Mahou Shoujo is not a single bit less important than Mecha, Vampire or Demons.

As for Isekai, it would also make it easier to look for a specific kind of anime and it's really popular lately so a lot of people would benefit from having it. And since the majority of the tags are not genres, this could be added too.

My point was actually that Mahou shoujo was usually very important as a main theme in stories, CONTRARY to isekai.
So of course I agree that mahou shoujo is an important theme.
Oct 24, 2018 2:17 PM

Oct 2012
MMemiMMei said:
HisokaxMeruem said:

then why are there tags like demon, vampire etc ? every season has 1-2 isekai's atleast right now, it should be a tag since this trend wont stop just like the superhero trend.

That's the problem. Pointless tags, if demons are into then why just not "Supernatural" tag instead of adding another one?
Isekai tag are implied that we can say the same as:
Koi no uso have kissess, then needs a "kiss" tag. Also needs a "trash ending" too.
Romance series are explicit that will have that kind of actions, it is not necessary but it's implicit in them same as "Supernatural" tag have with demons, vampires and ghosts and blahblahblah.

The problem with your statement is that there are already MAL genres for specific tags. Also equating Isekai to something like kiss is a false equivolancy.

Kissing is fundamentally specific. Most romance anime will at least get that far. Isekai not only refers to the main character being displaced into another world, but it also comes with its own set of tropes that diverge far enough from traditional fantasy tropes that it should get its own tag.

Cars is a tag
Demons is a tag
Vampires is a tag

Why isn't Isekai a tag? This site used to be more flexible.

Its not just anime entries that could find this useful. There are TONS of Isekai manga/LNs that are in the database in MAL. I'd wager that at this point, it would be a far more useful tag than something like vampire or cars.
Oct 24, 2018 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
I'm a bit disappointed that no DB mods have replied to this thread. Even if they don't agree with adding an Isekai genre or for whatever reason they can't, at least a reply to the people who are requesting it would be greatly appreciated.
Oct 24, 2018 8:45 PM

Jul 2017
changelog said:
I'm a bit disappointed that no DB mods have replied to this thread. Even if they don't agree with adding an Isekai genre or for whatever reason they can't, at least a reply to the people who are requesting it would be greatly appreciated.

hopefully a mod can provide some feedbacks
i made this suggestion purely because I think it would be helpful since many new anime fans are introduced to the isekai element and many of them have been asking for similar anime; adding this genre would save the troubles for them to ask or carefully read through recommendations
arguments aside, I don't think adding a new genre would bring any harm
MAYOIIIOct 25, 2018 12:46 AM
Oct 24, 2018 10:46 PM
Jul 2017
Completely agree, seeing that there are more and more of this genre in anime coming out every season
Oct 25, 2018 7:48 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
Where is the Mahou Shoujo genre?
Oct 25, 2018 8:30 AM

Apr 2016
changelog said:

You mean all one moderators ?
Oct 26, 2018 2:30 PM
Apr 2014
I agree that Isekai should be a genre or at least a tag. Same with Mahou Shoujo if it isn't already.
Oct 28, 2018 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
KushHaze said:
Where is the Mahou Shoujo genre?

+1
Also, it would make sense to me, if Isekai were a genre, as much as dystopia / post-apocalyptic and utopia.
Oct 30, 2018 6:29 PM
Jul 2012
I didn't see a forum search box, nor a recent post about the subject.

It seems that isekai is a thing to stay, so can we get a new genre/tag for it? Right now, most shows come up as fantasy and/or sci-fi, but if you want to watch an isekai show, you have to sift through a lot of titles, or ask for a recommendation.
Oct 30, 2018 6:42 PM

Jan 2010
Merged workinHikikomori's thread "Add an isekai genre?"
Oct 31, 2018 6:44 AM
Mar 2014
I still agree with this suggestion but will anything happen? Probably not
Nov 11, 2018 12:17 PM

Sep 2015
ArkPrevails said:
I still agree with this suggestion but will anything happen? Probably not
Well, as I see, MAL started to revise it's genre tags in some way. Meaning it's slapping ecchi tags left and right on anime that didn't have it before. Not just recent additions, even for decades old stuff. I don't think this is the right way to clean up the tagging system. Ecchi was already the second worst, most inconsistently used one after historical and this won't help.
Mar 17, 2019 3:31 PM
Jul 2018
Every single season is atleast 1 Isekai anime right now, i dont see a reason why we wouldn't have it as a genre, because it definitly is and tons of other sites use it already.
If isekai isnt a genre, why is "cars, police, samurai" and other stuff like that a genre.

Edit: For manga and novels aswell.
removed-userMar 18, 2019 2:21 PM
Mar 17, 2019 4:23 PM

Jul 2017
ive suggested this before some people agreed and some did not, saying isekai is a setting rather than a genre or even subgenre
but the same can be said to school/space etc and those you just said are simply tags yet they are considered genres
Mar 17, 2019 4:29 PM

Jan 2017
MAYOISM said:
ive suggested this before some people agreed and some did not, saying isekai is a setting rather than a genre or even subgenre
but the same can be said to school/space etc and those you just said are simply tags yet they are considered genres

I'd have to agree with these people although, Mayo, I can definitely see where you and OP are coming from
Mar 18, 2019 7:54 AM

Dec 2015
may as well tag it as ' generic '
TIME TO END PARTITION WITH A BANG. I AM ONCE AGAIN ASKING FOR YOUR FINACIAL SUPPROT https://www.sinnfeinbookshop.com/jewellery-1/
Mar 18, 2019 9:57 AM
Jul 2018
Gerry_Adams said:
may as well tag it as ' generic '
well, that tag could have every single harem/romance anime tbh
Mar 18, 2019 10:42 AM

Apr 2013
If we're makign this a genre tag, be ready to see many mahou shoujo like nanoha and consorts, escaflown, 12 kingdoms, and a massive amount of older titles receiving it.
Whereas SAO and any VRMMO setting would NOT get it as it's not isekai but game ten'i.

Which brings me to ask, would having such tag really help peoples finding what they want in the database.As remember, a tag is here to facilitate research and quickly finding what you like or dislike.

Are anime like Nanoha,Slime, Youjo Senki, Girls Bravo, 12 kingdoms, NGNL, Honzuki no gekokujou, smartphone, ima soko ni iru boku, Gate, Magic Knight Rayearth, Grimgar, Devil is a part timer, Mär, KonoSuba, Excaflowne, Tsubasa Chronicles, Zero no Tsukaima, Fate/Kaleid, Kyou kara Maou!,Fushigi Yuugi, Mondaiji reaaaaally a logical list of anime that should be linked together by the same tag?
Would that ease the search for anyone, or ease what to avoid in reverse?

Because remember, isekai is just the fact that there's another world and the fact that there's a way (through summon, gate, reincarnation, possession of another body...) to go from one to another and that someone did it or will do it.

If there's no point in adding the tag to help, then don't add it.
I know there's some tags already that are not genre but either content, demographics or settings on MAL, yes.
Does that mean we should add more? I don't see the logic in there.
ZefyrisMar 19, 2019 10:47 AM
Mar 18, 2019 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
Isekai needs to be added not just because it is a separate genre in itself, but because MAL is going to lose traffic to other websites from people who want a list of Isekai anime.

P.s. shout out to the original Isekai https://myanimelist.net/anime/929/Seisenshi_Dunbine?q=dunbine
Mar 18, 2019 12:48 PM
Jul 2018
Zefyris said:
If we're makign this a genre tag, be ready to see many mahou shoujo like nanoha and consorts, escaflown, 12 kingdoms, and a massive amount of older titles receiving it.
Whereas SAO and any VRMMO setting would NOT get it as it's not isekai but game ten'i.

Which brings me to ask, would having such tag really help peoples finding what they want in the database.As remember, a tag is here to facilitate research and quickly finding what you like or dislike.

Are anime like Nanoha,Slime, Youjo Senki, Girls Bravo, 12 kingdoms, NGNL, Honzuki no gekokujou, smartphone, ima soko ni iru boku, Gate, Magic Knight Rayearth, Grimgar, Devil is a part timer, Mär, KonoSuba, Excaflowne, Tsubasa Chronicles, Zero no Tsukaima, Fate/Kaleid, Kyou kara Maou!,Fushigi Yuugi, reaaaaally a logical list of anime that should be linked together by the same tag?

Because remember, isekai is just the fact that there's another world and the fact that there's a way (through summon, gate, reincarnation, possession of another body...) to go from one to another and that someone did it or will do it.

I know there's some tags already that are not genre but either content, demographics or settings on MAL, yes.
its not only about anime..., i am reading 25 isekai manga right now, and there are tons more. I find them on the pages where I'm reading it because it has it as a genre, but its impossible to find them here trough normal means without knowing the exact name of it. Lets not even take the novels into account, because there are so many that u cant even count it. (every single Isekai manga I am reading could I only find because it had a tag for it)

Btw, by your logic, no tag should exist, school is just the fact that a school exist, action is just a fact that action exists and so on.
What you are saying just doesnt make any sense.
removed-userMar 18, 2019 12:58 PM
Mar 18, 2019 1:40 PM

Apr 2013
HisokaxMeruem said:
Zefyris said:

Are anime like Nanoha,Slime, Youjo Senki, Girls Bravo, 12 kingdoms, NGNL, Honzuki no gekokujou, smartphone, ima soko ni iru boku, Gate, Magic Knight Rayearth, Grimgar, Devil is a part timer, Mär, KonoSuba, Excaflowne, Tsubasa Chronicles, Zero no Tsukaima, Fate/Kaleid, Kyou kara Maou!,Fushigi Yuugi, reaaaaally a logical list of anime that should be linked together by the same tag?

its not only about anime..., i am reading 25 isekai manga right now, and there are tons more. I find them on the pages where I'm reading it because it has it as a genre, but its impossible to find them here trough normal means without knowing the exact name of it. Lets not even take the novels into account, because there are so many that u cant even count it. (every single Isekai manga I am reading could I only find because it had a tag for it)

Btw, by your logic, no tag should exist, school is just the fact that a school exist, action is just a fact that action exists and so on.

I'm asking you here if isekai is coherent enough as a tag to be useful, not if we should have tags. You haven't answered the question.
To me one major reason peoples think isekai should be a tag is that they don't realize how much stuff categorize at isekai setting and how extremely varied in genre those stories are.
If you think that when you enter a research with Isekai, finding the kind of list I wrote down above would be useful to you, then nothing stop you from saying it.

i'm understanding that with the current tag, you're struggling finding the type of story you want. But do you realize that the type of story you want may be only a small part of what would be listed as Isekai when you enter that research?
Especially if we're adding manga and novels, this is going to be crazy varied.
So what I'm saying is, there's probably better tags than isekai to help you. What kind of stories do you like?
Mar 18, 2019 2:02 PM
Jul 2018
Zefyris said:
HisokaxMeruem said:

I'm asking you here if isekai is coherent enough as a tag to be useful, not if we should have tags. You haven't answered the question.
To me one major reason peoples think isekai should be a tag is that they don't realize how much stuff categorize at isekai setting and how extremely varied in genre those stories are.
If you think that when you enter a research with Isekai, finding the kind of list I wrote down above would be useful to you, then nothing stop you from saying it.

i'm understanding that with the current tag, you're struggling finding the type of story you want. But do you realize that the type of story you want may be only a small part of what would be listed as Isekai when you enter that research?
Especially if we're adding manga and novels, this is going to be crazy varied.
So what I'm saying is, there's probably better tags than isekai to help you. What kind of stories do you like?
Check my currently reading list, atleast 20 isekai, try finding one of them through the filter we have here withing 5-10mins. 99% of them below 5k user ratings and are mostly average rated. They are impossible to find.
And yes, isekai is coherent enough to be a useful tag. It doesnt matter how important isekai to the story is or if it is the most important thing about it. Its part of the story, its the base the story is build on.
U would never find these, no matter how long u search cuz the tags are insufficient:
https://myanimelist.net/manga/105328/Gaikotsu_Kishi-sama_Tadaima_Isekai_e_Odekakechuu
https://myanimelist.net/manga/111491/Isekai_ni_Tobasareta_Ossan_wa_Doko_e_Iku
https://myanimelist.net/manga/112894/Nidome_no_Yuusha_wa_Fukushuu_no_Michi_wo_Warai_Ayumu
https://myanimelist.net/manga/105029/Parallel_Paradise
https://myanimelist.net/manga/99377/Kenja_no_Mago
(I could list atleast 50 more that I got bookmarked from another site)

Thats why we need an isekai tag, I could just search for it and find them all at once. (I didnt discover a single Isekai manga on this site, all through other because its way to hard here).
I dont see how any other tag could have helped me to find them without spending my whole time on it.
If u check the tags for the ones I mentioned, they all have different tags, the only ones in common is action and fantasy, but thats a combo literally every anime/manga/novel has that goes beyond the "normal" life in anime/manga/novels.
You wont find a single one of them in the top 300 manga (couldnt bother to look longer) that dont have an adaption announced/got one already. And then, you wouldnt know, because its not always in the synopsis or the title.
removed-userMar 18, 2019 2:43 PM
Mar 18, 2019 2:55 PM
Jul 2018
Zefyris said:

wowowow you're so smart and right like you just enlightened everyone here with your wisdom
Btw to add to this i request for the samurai "genre" to be removed, i mean would you reallllllllllllly, no seriously can you eveeeeeeeeer forget the title gintama? The samurai "genre" only exists for gintama

Do drugs kids, school is usesless
Mar 18, 2019 4:04 PM

May 2018
There was already a similar suggestion I made a while ago:

Sort by Source type. If you can filter out light novels sources from search you have essentially removed all isekai, except maybe 2 or 3 manga originals that happen to be isekai, but they are so rare that it doesn't matter.
Mar 19, 2019 3:22 PM

Dec 2015
No genre changes are going to happen since MAL is only getting bugfixes every now and then. (Like very few years once some stuff got hacked they fix it like last year with the long downtime.)

New features won't get added anymore. (Finished development. Like with an old windows version that only gets security updates.)

[Well ... besides the stuff they add to try using some cash. (Supporter option and that manga selling store.)]

Befor "adding" anything the whole system needs to revamped. We don't really have 'genre". More like contend indicators. (The requirements to add something arent 0 but they are still pretty low.)
Mar 19, 2019 4:38 PM
Jul 2018
Luthandorius said:
No genre changes are going to happen since MAL is only getting bugfixes every now and then. (Like very few years once some stuff got hacked they fix it like last year with the long downtime.)

New features won't get added anymore. (Finished development. Like with an old windows version that only gets security updates.)

[Well ... besides the stuff they add to try using some cash. (Supporter option and that manga selling store.)]

Befor "adding" anything the whole system needs to revamped. We don't really have 'genre". More like contend indicators. (The requirements to add something arent 0 but they are still pretty low.)
For what reason does this Suggestion topic still exist? But I expected it tbh, I am on MAL for 2 years now and I didnt notice a single change that happened, I mean not even their app has improved since I installed it (no manga tab and so on...). Imagine not beeing able to keep up with unoffical apps for your own database.
Sadly MAL will die down in the next few years, less and less people I know still use it.
removed-userMar 19, 2019 4:41 PM
Apr 5, 2019 3:51 PM
Sep 2015
With so many transported-to-another-world animes nowadays, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a genre that is specific to those animes? It would make browsing through them much easier.
Apr 5, 2019 10:40 PM

Jan 2019
i honestly have to agree, especially since we have a Genre like "Dementia" like come on, there are more isekai than Anime with the Dementia tag
Apr 6, 2019 1:52 AM

Mar 2017
Agreed, since the genre has expanded all these years.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Apr 6, 2019 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
Why hasn't MAL commented on this yet? It's a suggestion that has been in such high demand so the least the community deserves is a response as to why it hasn't been implemented yet.
Apr 6, 2019 6:41 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Merged every thread I could find on this. There might be a couple out of order posts.
Apr 6, 2019 6:48 AM
Nov 2017
yas pleasee
I actually love Isekai and don't get why it's so hated lol
Apr 17, 2019 5:13 AM

Jun 2009
Makes sense and it would make it a little easier to discern (and therefore avoid) it at a glance.
Apr 17, 2019 11:50 AM

Jan 2019

changelog said:
Why hasn't MAL commented on this yet? It's a suggestion that has been in such high demand so the least the community deserves is a response as to why it hasn't been implemented yet.

because they dont have a good reason to say No, but it implies Work and no one likes Work

i mean with tags like Demons, Dementia, School, or other shit Isekai should be a tag, really.

ShiroBlake said:
yas pleasee
I actually love Isekai and don't get why it's so hated lol

i also enjoy them but they do tend to have rather generic story-lines
still they are way too overhated by a vocal minority
Apr 19, 2019 7:41 PM

May 2018
"Isekai" is already seen as a genre of anime in our community- it is a relatively new genre of anime, however it seems like it will stay as each season at least 3 new Isekai appear and they are often the most popular shows airing at the time.

Isekai is described to be when the main protagonist is somehow transported into another world that is different from their own. They might be trapped in this world against their will, end up in this world after reincarnation when they die, or any other option. They might be aware this world existed previously or not, (i.e it may be a videogame world they become trapped in such as "SAO" and "Log Horizon").

Isekai should be added as a genre to the database.

If you agree please reply to this forum so it stays relevant and someone who can help add this can see it! thank you uwu

SeijatachiiiiApr 19, 2019 7:50 PM
Apr 19, 2019 9:20 PM

Dec 2018
Like you said, " it is a relatively new genre of anime". I google top 100 *insert random genre* anime of all time and it came up but can't find top 100 isekai anime anywhere so we should probably wait for it to be more relevant for it to be an official genre on MAL

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

Apr 19, 2019 9:30 PM

Oct 2015
iLbcoVE said:
Like you said, " it is a relatively new genre of anime". I google top 100 *insert random genre* anime of all time and it came up but can't find top 100 isekai anime anywhere so we should probably wait for it to be more relevant for it to be an official genre on MAL
It's really not just limited to anime though. There's a shit ton of LN and manga isekais that you could ever imagine
Apr 19, 2019 9:32 PM

May 2018
Isekai is limitless. It needs to be official.
Apr 19, 2019 11:49 PM

Dec 2018
EGOIST said:
It's really not just limited to anime though. There's a shit ton of LN and manga isekais that you could ever imagine

but let's say there're 100 people into anime, how many do you think will read novels and mangas rather than watching animes

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

Apr 20, 2019 3:48 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Duplicate thread merged in.
Apr 25, 2019 9:55 AM
May 2017
Why r u guys not adding Isekai as a genre... already the most famous websites like kissmanga, mangafox and mangarock has put the word "Isekai" as a seperate genre...
Apr 25, 2019 10:23 AM

Jul 2014
Newest post merged from another thread
Take care of yourself

May 1, 2019 11:50 PM
May 2018
I would love to have an Isekai Genre filter. Why this isn't a thing already I can't understand.
May 3, 2019 1:44 AM

Sep 2015
Phoenix_Haze said:
I would love to have an Isekai Genre filter. Why this isn't a thing already I can't understand.
Yes, many people wants this. To be fair, MALs taggging is not genre tagging and very inconsistent so it needs to have a serious overhaul AnimePlanet style (also it's funnny that MAL has "list" in its name nad AP has better custom list options).

Slowly my list starting to turn into a MAL in MAL as I'm starting to make up missing features, like for example more specific tagging such as isekai.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anti-Adbot measure

Zarutaku - Today

6 by deg »»
9 hours ago

» The "related entries" redesign is atrocious

FurMetarArkemist - Jun 4

5 by YurinaMaekawa »»
Yesterday, 9:59 PM

» Change Zheng Ying (Ei Sei) picture

AlehPoersch - Yesterday

0 by AlehPoersch »»
Yesterday, 1:51 PM

» Do you guys want a dislike reaction for reviews or something like it?

emryuu - Jun 6

9 by Vene »»
Yesterday, 9:54 AM

» Bots/fake accounts

9765 - Yesterday

4 by 9765 »»
Yesterday, 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.