Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2016 12:41 PM

Jan 2013
Fai said:
Except it is made pretty clear that she would have found it AND she would have found it good few hours earlier without him.

Wasn't it Subaru who arrived first at the stash and found Old Man dead, then being killed by Elza?
Then he gets to the shash house with Emilia and both get killed?
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jul 3, 2016 12:43 PM
Jun 2016
Fai said:
Fappa said:

So you really fail to realize that he is mentally broken and this is an unnatural and unhealthy behavior of his? He has developed a severe case of escapism and delusion. Didn't you see how he fanatically believes in his truth and rejects every other attempt to drag him out of that? This is no sane behavior anymore. You have to accept that fact otherwise you'll be always left in the dark.

It hard to realize something Show absolutely did not show .

Let me correct you. You failed to realize it, because they did show it (i mean heck, you can guess it will go this way with powers like this...)
Jul 3, 2016 12:43 PM

Jul 2007
beast_regards said:
Fai said:
Except it is made pretty clear that she would have found it AND she would have found it good few hours earlier without him.

Wasn't it Subaru who arrived first at the stash and found Old Man dead, then being killed by Elza?
Then he gets to the shash house with Emilia and both get killed?

In the first loop.

In the last loop Emilia arrives to the loothouse way earlier than in the first loop with Subaru and Subaru even remarks that she would have found the place twice as fast without him.

Dspy_H said:

Let me correct you. You failed to realize it, because they did show it (i mean heck, you can guess it will go this way with powers like this...)

Guesses are headcanons. There are no directing tells of Subaru's psychological state beyond being angsty.

how do I know? Because the tells WERE there in the arc 2. They are not here now.
Jul 3, 2016 12:44 PM

Sep 2014
Great music and atmosphere. I wish I had more time to be able to read the WN. I know this is the third chapter of the WN, but does anybody how many entries have been covered so far?
Jul 3, 2016 12:47 PM
Sep 2010
Kinda thought what happened at the end was going to happen...
Hate the new op, nice visuals though.
Jun 2015
He will definately either kill himself or die. Like he has to save Rem! and the people in the town, and also people who were in the mansion? Non the less this episode was craaazy! And the next one will be even crazier.
Jul 2013
Subaru hasn't been nearly as wrong as what people have made him to be lately. He caused a minor problem during the meeting, but it is not like he caused the main dilemma. I haven't really liked his actions last episode, but I think he can make up for it soon. It would be interesting to see him go a dark knight route.
Sep 2015
Fai said:

In the last loop Emilia arrives to the loothouse way earlier than in the first loop with Subaru and Subaru even remarks that she would have found the place twice as fast without him.

Didn't Subaru ask Reinhard to tell Emilia to "stay away from the loot house" in that loop? Of course she'd go as soon as she heard that!

Anyway, my own theory is that the Witch only sent her minions to attack the mansion so that Subaru would, after many retries, manage to save everyone and get back in Emilia's good graces. Plus the attack will allay the fears that Emilia is on the Witch's side.
Jul 3, 2016 12:48 PM

Sep 2014
Great episode. I did like the butlers comment about not teaching someone who will use death as a mean to complete his mission.
Jul 2018
Fai said:
Fappa said:

So you really fail to realize that he is mentally broken and this is an unnatural and unhealthy behavior of his? He has developed a severe case of escapism and delusion. Didn't you see how he fanatically believes in his truth and rejects every other attempt to drag him out of that? This is no sane behavior anymore. You have to accept that fact otherwise you'll be always left in the dark.

All his persistence since the troubles began was he not wanting to accept that he couldn't deal with them. Reality tells him he's weak. He then looks away. And his gift aids him.
Jul 2015
_Hans_ said:
To the people who cry about how pathetic subaru is and how his character is doing a 180, please drop the series like now.

You only look at the surface of things and dont use your brains at all ¬_¬

Good choice for them. This show should labeled 20+. (really really need it). lmao

Jul 3, 2016 12:50 PM

Jan 2014
Rem can't be seriously dead right?.....right guys?.......RIGHT? OH DEAR GOD, MY HEART CAN'T TAKE THIS SHIT!
Jul 3, 2016 12:50 PM

Jul 2013
This was brilliant.
Subaru is the one who doesn't understand, but at this point you can't really blame him too much, after everything that happened to him, and yet people don't remember and he can't explain things to them...

So much RemxSubaru ! Even this new opening, which I like a lot, has lots of Rem in it <3
But wow, those last minutes in the episode...Who were the "people"? in the forest ? Did they kill everyone ? What happened ?
THEY KILLED REM. NOOO. SUBARU, RESTART NOW.

I love Remu waay too much, while Subaru is saying he's the only one to trust Emilia, he doesn't see that Rem is the only one who trusts him at this point, despite everything...She loved him, and didn't want him to get hurt D:

Jul 3, 2016 12:54 PM

Jul 2007
kalinime said:
Fai said:

Didn't Subaru ask Reinhard to tell Emilia to "stay away from the loot house" in that loop? Of course she'd go as soon as she heard that!

Anyway, my own theory is that the Witch only sent her minions to attack the mansion so that Subaru would, after many retries, manage to save everyone and get back in Emilia's good graces. Plus the attack will allay the fears that Emilia is on the Witch's side.

Except Reinhard only told her that in the end of that loop when Subaru was passed out and never met her.

iRels said:

All his persistence since the troubles began was he not wanting to accept that he couldn't deal with them. Reality tells him he's weak. He then looks away. And his gift aids him.

Then the Arc 2 failed to showcase that as that was the arc where we saw him deal with it and accept it. And Arc 3 did absolutely nothing to emphasize his emotional state or his mental state or his struggle or his motivation, instead choosing to portray him as dumb and selfish idiot. This is now going in circles again.
Jul 3, 2016 12:54 PM

Feb 2015
Zalmox1s said:
The OP song is awful, I really thought we left the shitty autotune era far, far behind. The animation is really nice tho.

I still don't like the way Subaru is in the last 3 episodes. The jump from nice, lovable, caring guy to selfish, arrogant and full on asshole dude is way too steep.

This was done on purpose, take the MC to his lowest point & make him suffer before bringing him back up again.

This arc is well known for its brutality, brace yourselves
Jul 3, 2016 12:55 PM

Jul 2014
Fappa said:
Yehart said:

I don't want some obsessive, obnoxious little arrogant cunt who believes the world revolves around him as a protagonist.

I mean, where the hell does he get the audacity to believe that he can fight knights who've been training for God knows how long, when he has zero experience at all? His stupidity never ends, and all of these features have been apparent since the first arc.

This would hold some salt if the features of his obnoxiousness weren't apparent in the first few episodes.

I have no issue to the fact that he's mentally broken, that's the consequence of being arrogant and self centered. I have an issue of how his development is being handled, and how he hasn't learnt fuck all. It doesn't help the these arcs are becoming more dark and serious as well. It makes his terrible personality stand out even further. The contrast is too big.
"Hi!"
Jul 3, 2016 12:58 PM
Jul 2018

They bowed to him!! Must mean that they've acknowledged Subaru as one of them. As the Witch favors him.
Jul 3, 2016 12:59 PM

Mar 2014
I really liked the new OP

Watching Subaru in his current mental state is awkward and sad.

That ending though holy sh##
Jul 3, 2016 1:00 PM

Feb 2015
IMTAdrian said:
Fai said:
Holy shit the (very edgy) OP is STILL pushing Subaru/Emilia as the pairing. The glimpse of what seems to be new villain(?) does not inspire confidence as his design looks liek something that ran away from Akame Ga Kill. The end of op pretty much is biggest hint at Emilia being Satella too. Overall the OP is not as good as the first one. First one had very nice beat and great visuals that reminded me of Steins;Gate. This is just...edge?

UHHHH, Subaru keeps being a pile of human trash. Ever since Ep11, he is easily most despicable character of the year and it seems he LEARNED ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Even Shinji Ikari had more capability to progress from his experiences. And Shinji Ikari had A LOT MORE REASONS to be a regressive asshole.

What's worse is that other characters have to suffer for Human Waste MC not learning his lesson. I am sad for Rem having to put up with his bullshit. But hey maybe their interactions will make him actually learn to not be a despicable scumbag, considering nothing seems to make him learn.

I thought we will see more progress on the political scene and the candidates interacting. I thought we will see Subaru having to own up to the bullshit he pulled.

And instead he went to meet other candidate waifus and woo them. But now it seems are abandoning even all of that FOR THE SUFFERING GUYSE. Because that's TOTALLY why we are watching the show, right?

Should I care that Subaru is involved in this mess now? Should I worry for his fate? Does show expect me to want him to succeed? Because right now is what i am dreading is him succeeding without being owned.

Holy shit was the end of episode edgy, down to rock ost.

3/5

It's hard to take you seriously now with the lack of consistency and thought in the previous episode's review.

It's hard to take anything that Fai posts seriously if we're being honest.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2016 1:02 PM

Dec 2014
zombieiscoming said:
I'm surprised that some people don't see how Subaru not grasping the situation he is in nor learning from last episode is a sign for his mental illness. He is literally mentally broken right now which results in this lost sense of reality.

He has become fanatic in his idea of reality, his idea of truth that he rejects everyone who tries to deny that truth.

On the one side the words of Emilia resonate in his head and keep bringing him down to reality but on the other side Subaru lives in denial towards the truth. This clearly show us that this whole obsession with Emilia is no mere quirk in his personality no it actually has reached a scale where you can call it a mental illness. He rejects anything that goes against his own truth and even the people themselves. He interprets others' attempts at trying to keep him safe as shortsighted or that they think nothing of him. And not only that, he justifies it all by reasons that no one else will ever trust. No one can believe in that or even cares enough about Emilia to be her ally. Note how every person who tried to talk against his own beliefs got majorly rejected by him. Reinhard…Kadomon ( Apple merchant ), Crusch & Ferris and at last Rem. Personally I love that development or rather the negative development as this is how humans are sometimes, especially in a mentally unstable condition. They become stubborn and don’t give up on their belief until they have to pay a prize for it. Of course this is taken to an extreme level in anime but it replicates a natural development.

You can actually see how he starts to develop some kind of escapism when he walks through the village. Subaru opens the door the first time how there is a corpse sitting in the chair but Subaru just stares at it and closes the door. The second door he opens bumps against a corpse. You can hear the foot steps walking through blood. In these very first seconds Subaru lives in denial to what actually has happened here. He started to develop some sort of escapism but got knocked out of it once he physically interacted with one of the corpses and perceived the horror around him completely.

That is certainly plausible... If all you MALers disagree with me, then let me say the basis for everything I've said so far in this thread was that even if Subaru weren't mentally ill his decision to charge in recklessly wouldn't change. Sure his forward attitude has saved people, but I think he just got lucky in all those instances with people being able to come in and save his ass at the last second.
I need sleep.
Aug 2015
The new OP is hella nice

*Cliffhanger intensifies* I'm just here chilling cuz true fucked up Subaru is gr8

Imperfect Subaru is perfect Subaru ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

May 2012
Really liked that new op and am eager to see the ed, which I assume will be the song that played over the scene at the end with Subaru walking through the massacre.

Pretty brutal episode

Oct 2012
I'm hoping he resets soon but finds that he resets to after the argument, so he can understand that he's being overly reliant on his power. Wilhelm said it perfectly, he has no intention of training Subaru because he's lost the desire to be stronger, he thinks he can fix this by going back but he doesn't understand the severe consequences of his choice, he literally doesn't care anymore and is way too reliant on his resets now.
Hope he realizes the severity and gravity of his choices now and will calm down a bit. I can't get too upset with him, his feelings are understandable but I just want him to wake up from his delusions and begin to grow as a character.

Oh and that OP was chilling
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Jul 3, 2016 1:03 PM
Feb 2016
zombieiscoming said:
Faragoo said:

Well, that guy has been doing more stupid stuff in 2 episodes than in the entire serie. But hey, I guess its time for a reset

Stupid? Very good reason, I suppose. LMAO

Well, he is just a 18yo high school student who don't know anything about the world he is in, and even less about its political situation, and he jump in a very serious and important discussion about who will lead the country, and basically said "uh, dude, racism is bad"... And he keep making it worse the whole episode, and after that ? Well he is not even sorry and keep doing more stupid stuff.
I don't know where this is going but I don't like it for now

Feb 2015
SotLHUN said:
Why did the witch's cult appear and stand around subaru?Novel readers please answer

Not a novel reader but I imagine his smell had something to do with it. I'm also assuming that the witch's smell on him is what kept them from killing him.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 2013
Fai said:
Except Reinhard only told her that in the end of that loop when Subaru was passed out and never met her.

Subaru tried to keep her off the loot house in that loop. He must've done something in attempt to keep her out and she did just the opposite.

Reinhart (btw how is his name spelled correctly?) arrived at loot house separately as Felt dragged him in
Jun 2016
Fai said:
kalinime said:

iRels said:

Then the Arc 2 failed to showcase that as that was the arc where we saw him deal with it and accept it. And Arc 3 did absolutely nothing to emphasize his emotional state or his mental state or his struggle or his motivation, instead choosing to portray him as dumb and selfish idiot. This is now going in circles again.

First off, I've not seen you post anything but negative remarks about the show, which are completely subjective remarks based on your lack of analytical skills. Do you honestly expect the show to spoon feed you every single detail? It's fairly obvious that Subaru's mental state has been deteriorating as each episode passes. What did you expect? Honestly, the show has done more than enough to portray how he's a ticking time bomb.

Also regarding where you stated that Emilia wouldn't have met Elsa during the first arc if it weren't for Subaru, that's false. During the final loop Emilia arrives early, before Elsa even, but who's to say she wasn't in the vicinity watching? She appears almost instantly after she arrive [iirc].

You take it upon yourself to scrutinise every small 'flaw' you find, albeit most being completely subjective. Why can't you just enjoy the show? There must be parts of the show you enjoy if you're still continuing to watch, why not mention those too. Right now it just seems like you dislike it so much, so why not just drop it?

No offence, but it's very hard to take anything you say seriously when you're always repeating the same thing even after people refute your arguments. You're like a broken record.
BananaorangesJul 3, 2016 1:19 PM

Jul 2009
iRels said:

They bowed to him!! Must mean that they've acknowledged Subaru as one of them. As the Witch favors him.

This is quite strange and it seems to be the complete opposite.

@CC9ers I agree with that.
Jul 3, 2016 1:05 PM

Feb 2015
Whoa Re:Zero calm down LOL. OP is fine, insert song matched that "scene". Now we're getting somewhere, hope they don't go overboard.
Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself.
Jul 3, 2016 1:05 PM

Apr 2015
can anyone give a "what if" scenario, where Subaru instead just stayed at the castle the entire time (i.e. not going to the royal selection)?
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Jul 3, 2016 1:06 PM

Aug 2008
What was the song in the end?
Jul 3, 2016 1:07 PM

Jan 2016
MozillaFennekin said:
Subaru, just take Rem. It's okay to go for second place.

No shit, Rem is keeper.

Man this epsiode was intense, everything around Subaru is just grinding him up into despair.

Most of his decisions have led to his problems the last few episdoes. I don't know if a death reset will do anything but save Rem. I hope he can save her she's the best girl even if Emilia is cute AF.

Looks like we are setting up for some serious action coming up. My onlycomplaint is Subaru's lack of any real skill. It would be nice to see him go op or develop sword skills-hell something but I feel that would derail what this shows about. He came from another world and that's all he's got, just a nothing special characters outside of his "Death-resets-day" curse.

Can't wait for next week's episode!
Jul 3, 2016 1:08 PM

Apr 2015
Fappa said:
Yehart said:

I don't want some obsessive, obnoxious little arrogant cunt who believes the world revolves around him as a protagonist.

I mean, where the hell does he get the audacity to believe that he can fight knights who've been training for God knows how long, when he has zero experience at all? His stupidity never ends, and all of these features have been apparent since the first arc.

Some anime fans required things to be spelled out for them for some reason.
Like you could have a character say something to another and then their eye flinches in response and later on that character whose eye flinched will show some angst while some anime fan will be like
"WHERE DID THIS COME FROM. THIS IS OOC. THIS WASNT FORESHADOWED AT ALL. TCH!! WHAT A LAME AUTHOR JUST USING DRAMA TO FORWARD HIS PLOT!!! KEK 4/10 *WRITES QUICK MAL REVIEW* I HAVE such good tASTE"
Jul 3, 2016 1:09 PM

Jan 2013
I love how even when the OP is added they make the episode longer to compensate. Very rare to see that.
Fantastic episode.
Jul 3, 2016 1:09 PM

Jul 2014
Man i said i liked subaru last episode but wtf bro o_0 !??! he's not likeable character at all at this point OMG and the way he stick to emilia is so annoying and make you really feel like he do it for himself to prove that he's useful he keep saying that hey are hopeless without him and stuff ..... com'n man this the first time i find an MC so annoying

the OP is krusty but the visual was great , the op still try to push subaru and emillia as a pair which seems forced at this point , can't he just remain signal like most MC ? lol xD

i can't belive i did a rant after looking so much for this episode ....

the ending is just HOLY SHIT !!! and man not our REM T_T NOT BEST GIRL
Jul 3, 2016 1:10 PM

Jul 2015
New OP is fuckin amazing! Really intense episode. Rem is the best girl imo. Just look at how she supports Subaru! Sad about the end but also excited for what happens next!
Jul 3, 2016 1:11 PM
Jun 2015
WTF Shit just went DownHill
Jul 3, 2016 1:11 PM
Apr 2015
Mascera said:
Prorewiel said:
no :) he is not roswall you will see him next episode and well i think you will hate him if you are rem fun
Okay, so that's not Roswaal. Because the first time I see him in the opening it looks like him at least I think so, just more in the "creepy-funny" form. I'm not that really lovey-dovey about Rem though. But still, thank you for the info.
no problem :)....
Jul 3, 2016 1:12 PM
Jul 2018
What an amazing episode.

Really loved it. You could see how Subaru is losing it in so many ways. From his facial expressions to his delusional behavior at the village.

I mean he's been losing it for a long while now but now it's really obvious.

And I swear when I watched those last 3 minutes I got goosebumps! The studio really knows how to time their stuff!
Jul 3, 2016 1:12 PM
Nov 2015
So, subaru can only think straight when someone he knows dies? This is getting on my nerves. He knows he can return by death, so why doest he kill yourself everytime he mess things up?

So far in this 14 episodes I haven't found any clear clue that the author can do a proper story without using cheap deaths and edgystuff as viewer/reader bait. Killing characters is only good if they remain dead, if you can always "revive" them, there's no point right? I know that Subaru is "growing" with each death and his death is the major theme for this series, but this seriously is a pebble on my enjoyment path.

3/5 for this episode.
The first opening was better.
Jul 3, 2016 1:13 PM
Jul 2018
Jonny_Mhl said:
iRels said:

This is quite strange and it seems to be the complete opposite.

They're from the Witch's Cult. Normally, Subaru would've been killed. But one came closer to him. Inspected him. Then the others surrounded him and paid respect.

Jul 2015
The KKK finally appears. Brace yourself, Subaru!

And the new OP is so good.
Re:Zero nice troll ending.

Feb 2015
It's worth pointing out this arc is very different to the previous two. Those who are saying that Subaru is annoying and arrogant then yes your right. He's alway trod a thin line between being endearing & annoying.

He has become delusional and full of himself due to his ability but he will be brought back down to earth, all I will say is wait and see what happens.
Jul 3, 2016 1:15 PM

Jan 2013
iRels said:

Subaru and The Witch OTP!
Jul 3, 2016 1:16 PM
Jun 2016
Can someone tell me the ending in this episode please? The OST which runs in the background where Subaru finds Rem
Jul 3, 2016 1:16 PM

Apr 2015
So Subaru you are falling into madness...
Jul 3, 2016 1:18 PM

Jan 2013
Cmterio said:
So Subaru you are falling into madness...

I wonder if he starts shouting random gaming nonsense anytime soon. If he does, it isn't that bad from him as it is what he did from the very start.
Jul 3, 2016 1:20 PM

Mar 2010
Dspy_H said:
Fai said:

Welcome to Fai. :p
Jul 3, 2016 1:21 PM

Jul 2014
If he's so obsessed with emilia why doesn't he just kill himself to begin with ? i thought that killing himself will be too much to make up with girl but after seeing this episode , just give emillia already seeing this shit is annoying
Jul 3, 2016 1:21 PM

Mar 2015
Ahh the suffering is here.... the sweet sweet suffering that makes me cry a lot is in volume 5 (which is the volume we're currently in).

By the way, Subaru is the cringiest when he's with Emilia. So let's go full on S.S. Rem~

I'm totally glad they included the scene where Ferris is defending Julius from Subaru. Ferris is definitely an awesome knight so is Julius.

Pages (19) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2016

817 by mavrus95 »»
Jun 11, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

716 by MrList »»
Jun 11, 2:55 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1725 by __kitooo »»
Jun 10, 11:29 PM

» Ferris and Subaru

Daddi4900 - Jun 3

10 by Daddi4900 »»
Jun 5, 4:04 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

589 by ShadowkillZ »»
Jun 1, 3:39 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.