Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 27, 2016 9:05 AM

Mar 2015
fadliyuuki said:
I don't undertstand why is this show has a very low score, from what i see, it's pretty good with it's balanced tone :(

Well, it has been previously explained by other people. I'll make overall review.
Pros:
Interesting setting.
Serious moments.
Visual.
Dazai.

Cons:
Balance with comedy and drama is slightly off.
Atsushi is whiny and useless MC.(I actually disagree with that.)
Such thing as a "main plot" is not exist. (from episode 8 story is goes on main rails, if Bones doesn't add content, which are not exist in manga.)

There is a lot of others pros and cons, but i think these are basic.
May 27, 2016 11:13 AM

Sep 2015
Good on Atsushi saving Kyouka at the end! Doctor lady's ability and personality is pretty funny. Also Kyouka reminds me of Dazai for some reason. I hope she doesn't die in the near future.
May 27, 2016 11:31 AM

Jul 2015
WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME HE CAME BACK. I was curious about the doctor, so I'm to have an episode about her for. She is a scary lady, but I like her because of that.

His bombs look like lemons.

Nice episode, and things are slowly getting more and more intense, so that's nice. But it just occurred to me that there isn't much of a story that has progress. So far it's mostly just been the Agency vs the Mafia in various situations, but it's just that.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
May 27, 2016 5:11 PM
Jun 2015
Angry_Always said:
JewellTH said:

I don't think she was the type to have that much bravery. After all, all her emotions and feelings were being hidden for most of the episode so we don't really know how she was feeling. I think she didn't have the guts to risk her life to save others until she got the family killed. Because by then, she realized that there were lives more valuable than hers. So when the end of the episode happened, she took the opportunity. But obviously, Atsushi saved her.
This is just a theory though.

And a good theory, though as I said I can't really just brush families dying (even if they are fictional and I shouldn't care) under the rug because she was 'scared'.
She nearly killed herself to save Atsushi, which is very heroic, however I can't forget how many she caused the death of by following the mafia's orders :/

I think the reason I care so much is the same reason I root for a protagonist to win the girl/guy or beat the big boss, because I am empathetic with the emotions, though the same works for things like killing innocent people. The girl from bokuko no gryndhilr (or however you spell it) was worse as she, on her own accord, tried to wipe MC's memory and leave him as pretty much a vegetable. Then next episode they all want to save her :/

It's the same principle, in both shows the girls have sad backstories and are doing what they do to survive (even though the mind wiper could just as well have only wiped one day but decided to be harsh for no reason and ruin his life) and have said to be kind deep within (such as in prison school and the head of the underground council is said to be kind even though she was needlessly cruel, though I'm aware that show is more of a comedy), thus every evil act is forgiven.

I'm not saying I'm right by any stretch, but my view is she can't be called a victim after leading all those people to death. Just ,y opinion though.

That is understandable. I was also mad at the girl from Brynhildr(I use the English name)for her actions, because there wasn't much reasoning behind what she did to the MC. Here, I can forgive for the most part(Killing the family was probably her worst action, and definitely not forgivable)because there was a lot more justification, even if she could have risked her life and escaped anytime. As long as the characters don't forgive her(with the exception of Atsushi who seems to have taken a liking to her)until she earns their trust, then I'm fine with it personally. Btw, it's okay to care on something fictional like a family being killed, especially in an anime that uses realistic situations like this one(abilities and goofy characters aside).
May 27, 2016 5:46 PM

Jun 2015
Romedbaumann said:
J0kerz said:
I wan to know how Akiko heals her patients so bad its killing me, but I cant seem to find out....This is a problem lol

She said it herself though. She needs to inflict a lethal wound, in order to heal them.

You didnt understand what I was saying. I know what needs to happen to use it but what im curious about is the massive sexual innuendos that happen to actually heal them...follow? lol I mean she was taking off her shirt to "heal" Tanizaki then the lemon guy looked reallllly satisfied after being "healed"
May 27, 2016 5:50 PM

Sep 2015
JewellTH said:
Angry_Always said:

And a good theory, though as I said I can't really just brush families dying (even if they are fictional and I shouldn't care) under the rug because she was 'scared'.
She nearly killed herself to save Atsushi, which is very heroic, however I can't forget how many she caused the death of by following the mafia's orders :/

I think the reason I care so much is the same reason I root for a protagonist to win the girl/guy or beat the big boss, because I am empathetic with the emotions, though the same works for things like killing innocent people. The girl from bokuko no gryndhilr (or however you spell it) was worse as she, on her own accord, tried to wipe MC's memory and leave him as pretty much a vegetable. Then next episode they all want to save her :/

It's the same principle, in both shows the girls have sad backstories and are doing what they do to survive (even though the mind wiper could just as well have only wiped one day but decided to be harsh for no reason and ruin his life) and have said to be kind deep within (such as in prison school and the head of the underground council is said to be kind even though she was needlessly cruel, though I'm aware that show is more of a comedy), thus every evil act is forgiven.

I'm not saying I'm right by any stretch, but my view is she can't be called a victim after leading all those people to death. Just ,y opinion though.

That is understandable. I was also mad at the girl from Brynhildr(I use the English name)for her actions, because there wasn't much reasoning behind what she did to the MC. Here, I can forgive for the most part(Killing the family was probably her worst action, and definitely not forgivable)because there was a lot more justification, even if she could have risked her life and escaped anytime. As long as the characters don't forgive her(with the exception of Atsushi who seems to have taken a liking to her)until she earns their trust, then I'm fine with it personally. Btw, it's okay to care on something fictional like a family being killed, especially in an anime that uses realistic situations like this one(abilities and goofy characters aside).

You are very right, and in fact it is the human nature of the characters in this show that gives it such quality, the multiple layers to the Ideal man with glasses (I have no idea why his name escapes me) and the doctor we got to know this episode who has already earned my respect and admiration with her set of morals and view on the value of human life.

It is natural for Atsushi to be less cynical then myself and see the pain that Kyouka has suffered and want to help her as I suppose it is the right thing to do. After all those people are already dead and treating her poorly solves nothing.

I also would like to appreciate what you said about how I feel towards characters, though it does hamper my viewing experience of anime somewhat. The anger at the actions of these characters sticks with me and only through compromising and reasoning can I get over it. Such as in Assassination Classroom when Irina (POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR SEASON TWO)......... betrayed the class and nearly killed them all when I was initially very mad but upon reflection, she IS an assassin and the whole world was at stake. I just get too bogged down in the fictional injustices I see.

Also as a side note, watched Zootopia literally today after finding it online. Perfect film, with both the compelling mystery and great character exploration of both Judy and Nick, as well as going in depth on the social aspects of this prey and predator false utopia. Sorry, random and unrelated but love that movie and saw your images.
May 27, 2016 8:16 PM

Jan 2013
That doctor is a badass omg! I actually wasn't expecting this, her power/ability is amazing.
Finally, Atsushi did something by himself without anybody's help.
Dazai was captured by Port's Mafia, we need him back xD I miss his suicidal jokes ahahah
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 27, 2016 8:18 PM

Jan 2013
Wintovisky said:
Quite dramatic but still good. Rather dark show I'd say.

I really enjoy how this show can change from a funny one to a very serious one in just few moments.
I think that what makes it great.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 27, 2016 8:37 PM

Sep 2013
8 episodes in, I finally realise that each character is a reference to a Japanese author.
I guess Bungou Stray Dogs is the anime to watch if you're a japanese student wanting to pass Japanese Literature....
May 27, 2016 8:55 PM

Oct 2013
Looks like Kyouka will try to join the ADA. From the preview at the end of this ep, she might not be easily accepted, but she isn't the first member from the port mafia to join the ADA (*cough*Dazai*cough*) so there is a possibility she will eventually become part of their team.

Atsushi was right to be worried about Dazai, though from that grin at the end, maybe he has the situation under control? lol. He looks beaten up, but he isn't exactly cowering.

Overall, I liked this episode. Hoping the rest of the season won't disappoint.
4/5
I couldn't think of anything cool to put here.
May 27, 2016 9:41 PM

Dec 2015
Episode very good , I liked that girl!!
May 28, 2016 3:25 AM

Jun 2015
fadliyuuki said:
I don't undertstand why is this show has a very low score, from what i see, it's pretty good with it's balanced tone :(

How is a 7.61 very low..? A 7 means it's good.

OT: This episode was definitely a lot better than the previous few episodes, i actually enjoyed it. I might bump my score up to a 6, and if it stays consistent throughout the rest of the season, I reckon it could become a 7. Solid episode. I really liked the doctor, best character so far.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
May 28, 2016 4:40 AM

May 2015
I hope Kyouka becomes part of the agency, demon snow was a BA ability
May 28, 2016 4:56 AM

Oct 2009
At first I was like "My Shipper senses are tingling" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

then fast forward to.....

plus THIS!!!

AIIIGHT! Finally got a solid ship from this show, I'm adding a point to its score. lol

~~~
That aside, geez that flashback might be annoying but it's pretty handy. xD xD xD

May 28, 2016 9:30 AM

Jun 2015
I liked the episode. Been waiting for Yosano (and Kyouka) to have an episode of their own. Glad to see they didn't disappoint. was primarily interested in Yosano's ability but Kyouka's "Demon Snow" is not bad either.
"Thou Shalt Not Die" is a bad match against long rangers like Akutagawa.
May 28, 2016 10:23 AM

Aug 2014
Finally something interesting from manga :3 Better episode than last two. Akiko best female character of course :3 Kyouka was so cute (and dangerous lol)~ And Atsushi actually did something ;__; I don't ship him with Kyouka, he's more like older brother for her~ He's 18 and she's 14 only~
May 28, 2016 11:46 AM

Apr 2009
oh so this is why the anime is only rated 7? cause its different then manga?
May 28, 2016 1:03 PM

Dec 2012
Kyouka is cute :). Good episode, I like Akiko, she is so crazy.
Next episode will be interesting
May 28, 2016 1:09 PM

Mar 2016
AForgottenSoul said:

all episodes are from the manga Except 6 and 7 are from the LN version ( still canon )
May 28, 2016 1:35 PM

Apr 2009
DragonSlayer_19 said:
AForgottenSoul said:

all episodes are from the manga Except 6 and 7 are from the LN version ( still canon )

deserves a low 8 i think ;p

Tlahuizcapante said:
fadliyuuki said:

Well, it has been previously explained by other people. I'll make overall review.
Pros:
Interesting setting.
Serious moments.
Visual.
Dazai.

Cons:
Balance with comedy and drama is slightly off.
Atsushi is whiny and useless MC.(I actually disagree with that.)
Such thing as a "main plot" is not exist. (from episode 8 story is goes on main rails, if Bones doesn't add content, which are not exist in manga.)

There is a lot of others pros and cons, but i think these are basic.

disagree with those cons and sure 7.6 is fine but it should get a low 8 tbh
May 28, 2016 3:57 PM

Oct 2015
Best episode so far.
May 28, 2016 3:58 PM

Dec 2014
favorite episode so far. Yosano so badass <3333
May 28, 2016 10:40 PM

May 2015
This episode was so good! Yosano was such a badass, her personality definitely breaks the mold for Japanese women. No wonder she's named after an early feminist. And I totally ship Atsushi and Kyouka!
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
May 29, 2016 1:19 AM

Jul 2008
Awesome episode, I'm glad Atsushi saved that girl at the end because at one point I thought she was gonna get killed off as another pointless minor character :)
May 29, 2016 8:04 PM
Oct 2015
Tohka_Yatogami said:
Yosano is sure so scary!

Kyouka is such a mysterious character.

Yes, she reminds me of kayo Hinazuki from Erased
May 29, 2016 8:12 PM
Oct 2015
Great episode. I always enjoy seeing new port mafia members. Can't wait for next week's episode

Also am I the only one who thinks that kyouka was a lot like kayo Hinazuki from Erased?
May 29, 2016 11:03 PM

Mar 2016
It's getting Serious Now!
My Profile
Anime
Manga
osu! Profile
No Picture Available for me... lol.
May 30, 2016 6:31 PM

Oct 2012
Akiko is a great character! I love how she's characterized and man her character design is great too! I love the sadistic nature that shows through her somewhat cool and mature demeanor~

Oh and man Kyouka is best girl. I'm smelling a new ship next ep and really hope this works out because Atsushi x Kyouka would be really cute and nice to see (almost like a Leo x White ship that never happened rip Kekkai Sensen fans xD)
Anyways looking forward to next ep, hoping for a new ship to set sail but I'm also seeing some drama and tension in the preview too
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Jun 1, 2016 4:16 AM

Apr 2011
Then atsushi found love after that incident...lol

and Dazai-san was kidnapped? :o

Jun 1, 2016 6:33 PM

Oct 2008
Yosano is insanely strong!
Port Mafia enemies who are always facing the members of Armed Detective Agency always have a strategic disadvantage! Too Bad they are always being matched-up against their weaknesses!
Since Yosano's abilities are healing but a non-fatally injured person cannot be healed unless he or she is first half-killed. With that in mind, people who are getting healed by her are getting serious trauma because they need to be almost dead in order to be healed! You're in bad luck with her when you have simple injuries!
Nice one! Atsushi! You save that little girl Izumi Kyouka, cuz she is just am assassin pawn for Port Mafia.
But earlier, how the heck did Izumi captured Dazai!? I thought all kinds of powers would be ineffective if within Dazai's presence?
5/5.

Jun 1, 2016 8:14 PM

Aug 2015
I'm really excited about next weeks episode, don't know about you guys but I'm really looking forward to next weeks episode more than any other so far.
Jun 1, 2016 8:33 PM

Nov 2015
Really good episode, Kyouka is mysterious but she's cute, thank God there wasn't any unnecessary comedy parts

Jun 4, 2016 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
Kyouka is cute~ hope she joins the crew
Jun 5, 2016 1:10 AM
Mar 2012
"hmm, nice leg." Dr Yosano a leg person lol.
Expected more dead people but seems only passengers died.
Hoping for real backstory to Kyouka, why she didn't run away is a big question. Ability controlled by Akutagawa also sounds interesting. She & Dr made the show better.
Atsushi's tiger limbs were cool, and that hug, lots of ship.
"I like bunny rabbits & tofu." lol so random.
Jun 5, 2016 1:05 PM

Jul 2009
So the doctor power is to cure her patients almost killing them LOL no wonder why they run from her. She can't die...

I like Kyouka, glad she was saved!
Jun 6, 2016 8:44 AM
Jun 2015
Angry_Always said:
JewellTH said:

You are very right, and in fact it is the human nature of the characters in this show that gives it such quality, the multiple layers to the Ideal man with glasses (I have no idea why his name escapes me) and the doctor we got to know this episode who has already earned my respect and admiration with her set of morals and view on the value of human life.

It is natural for Atsushi to be less cynical then myself and see the pain that Kyouka has suffered and want to help her as I suppose it is the right thing to do. After all those people are already dead and treating her poorly solves nothing.

I also would like to appreciate what you said about how I feel towards characters, though it does hamper my viewing experience of anime somewhat. The anger at the actions of these characters sticks with me and only through compromising and reasoning can I get over it. Such as in Assassination Classroom when Irina (POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR SEASON TWO)......... betrayed the class and nearly killed them all when I was initially very mad but upon reflection, she IS an assassin and the whole world was at stake. I just get too bogged down in the fictional injustices I see.

Also as a side note, watched Zootopia literally today after finding it online. Perfect film, with both the compelling mystery and great character exploration of both Judy and Nick, as well as going in depth on the social aspects of this prey and predator false utopia. Sorry, random and unrelated but love that movie and saw your images.

Very sorry for the late reply. Notifications weren't working.

Correct. Most of the characters in this show are actually very likable whether it's their ideals, weaknesses or personalities. One of the reason why this is one of my favourite shows this season.

Yep, and there is also Atsushi's history to consider. It makes him easier to gain sympathy from so him seeing Kyouka crying that she doesn't want to kill people struck a cord with him easily.

I also have a similar mindset tbh. I can get mad at some characters initially but then realize their mindset. I was always the type to put myself in a character's perspective so I can understand their actions better.

Ah yes, zootopia certainly was an amazing film and a great way to reflect real society. I like to use the images as cute ending sigs, not sure why, but I decided to use the style and now I've stuck to using it.
Jun 6, 2016 12:43 PM

Sep 2015
JewellTH said:
Angry_Always said:

Very sorry for the late reply. Notifications weren't working.

Correct. Most of the characters in this show are actually very likable whether it's their ideals, weaknesses or personalities. One of the reason why this is one of my favourite shows this season.

Yep, and there is also Atsushi's history to consider. It makes him easier to gain sympathy from so him seeing Kyouka crying that she doesn't want to kill people struck a cord with him easily.

I also have a similar mindset tbh. I can get mad at some characters initially but then realize their mindset. I was always the type to put myself in a character's perspective so I can understand their actions better.

Ah yes, zootopia certainly was an amazing film and a great way to reflect real society. I like to use the images as cute ending sigs, not sure why, but I decided to use the style and now I've stuck to using it.

Huh... putting yourself in their shoes, maybe I should do that more. I've tried that a little, such as in Danganronpa when Kirigiri does something I initially despised but I ran through her thought process and whilst not justified her action was explained.

It's a problem though, Shokugeki no souma I was enjoying and then the girl Erina tried to get him rejected from the school even though she loved his cooking. I get really mad over things like that despite it being a comedy moment, immature I know but its how I am.

Also, yeah agreed, that movie is full of adorable images. And also a Breaking Bad reference for some reason haha XD
Jun 11, 2016 6:10 AM

Dec 2010
Best episode, even if we count the last filler arc. Kyouka's ability was awesome.
Jun 11, 2016 2:49 PM

Oct 2013
BEST episode so far. I literally raised my hands in the air and CLAPPED when he saved her. I have been aching for some progression in his character abilities, yay!!
Jun 13, 2016 12:06 AM

Sep 2015
Thug_Gou said:

plus THIS!!!

AIIIGHT! Finally got a solid ship from this show, I'm adding a point to its score. lol

~~~
That aside, geez that flashback might be annoying but it's pretty handy. xD xD xD

RIGHTI was thinking after the episode ended that she would make an amazing partner for Atushi not just in a relationship but detective partner as well. I'll SHIP IT!!!!

The episodes are getting better and better each week. If the anime keeps this up it could reach a 9 in my book still an 8 though.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Jun 13, 2016 3:07 AM

Oct 2009
QcK_Dagger_HeaT said:
Thug_Gou said:

plus THIS!!!

~~~

RIGHTI was thinking after the episode ended that she would make an amazing partner for Atushi not just in a relationship but detective partner as well. I'll SHIP IT!!!!

The episodes are getting better and better each week. If the anime keeps this up it could reach a 9 in my book still an 8 though.

Yaaaayy! A fellow shipper!! :D *prances around with you in the shipper field*

Sameeee! The first few eps were kinda so-so but it really is getting better! :)

Jun 25, 2016 3:37 AM
Apr 2014
DAAAMMMNN. That was awesome from Atsushi. The doctor was quite interesting, too. I was wondering what her ability was all the time. I expected her to heal herself much sooner but I guess she wanted to overwhelm that guy by surprise or needed an even more lethal state first.

And it explains why they are all scared that much by her healing ability xD
Jun 25, 2016 3:10 PM

Jul 2013
Best episode so far. It has good action, no awkward comedy, the antagonist this time was entertaining, Yosano was badass and Atsushi was cool saving both the people on the train and Kyoka and controlling his powers.

Good to know what Yosano's ability is. Now Tanizaki's reaction is much more understandable.

Wonder what Atsushi will do now that he has saved Kyoka, a child made assassin who doesn't know how to control her powers.
Jul 5, 2016 6:39 PM

Mar 2015
This show knows when to be serious that's for sure
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 5, 2016 7:49 PM

May 2014
Welp, Do-S doctor (I mean Yosano) is so cool (and scary!)
And Kyouka is cute too! I want to give her a hug so bad...
Dazai is kidnapped?

Jul 14, 2016 4:02 AM

Jun 2016
hey does anyone knows whats the name of the person who were behind her holding a sword? or she just doesn"t have a name?.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2016 1:57 PM

May 2012
Pretty intense episode again, let's see what's next!
Jul 26, 2016 10:19 AM

Apr 2015
So the doctor helps her patients by l3wd actionz ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°)

The new introduced girl is adorable.
Sep 6, 2016 11:58 AM
Nov 2014
Pretty boring and predictable episode. This anime tried so hard to make you think that the characters are in actual danger but they're not because plot armor.
Sep 26, 2016 7:41 AM

Apr 2014
Well now I finally know why Tanizaki was so afraid of Yosano. lol they kept showing what looked like sexual scenes and him tied down so I was so confused.
Let’s say I posed this question to you: “Can all human souls be bought with money or not?” Now remember, the keyword here is “all”. The answer is “There are times when you can buy them, and other times, not,” right? The human being… sometimes he’ll uphold his pride and conscience even if he’s offered ten billion yen, and other times he’ll murder someone over one yen. ~Izaya Ohira (Durarara)
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11, 2016

127 by Isaura272006 »»
Sep 1, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2016

263 by Tanish_k »»
Aug 17, 2:34 AM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2016

243 by SoulReaperr »»
Jul 20, 1:20 AM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

370 by grupapai »»
Jul 9, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

160 by ArreolaAn9el »»
Jun 18, 3:51 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.