Forum Settings
Forums

Why do some people even bother watching anime...

New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Aug 8, 2015 9:21 AM

Oct 2013
I see plenty of people have a lot of 1s and 2s in their list, and to me they're no different from people who give most anime on their list 9s and 10s they both exaggerate their scores so you can't even take their rating seriously. Though, I think the people that rate most anime extremely low does it intentionally to be look at as a elitist. Or they simple suck at picking what interest them.

Most of the anime I completed are rated between 5 to 10. A anime that's rated a 5 or 6 is like C- and C+ for me. There's a limit what each people can stomach, and mediocrity is where my limit is at.

To op, don't pay attention to the rating system too much, everyone rates differently thus they can score anyway they want.
Aug 8, 2015 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
Searching for something good.
Aug 8, 2015 12:13 PM

May 2015
I love it when people try to force on others to stop discussing things because 'it's all subjective'.

Why do these people even bother to hang around the forums? It's all about exchanging opinions here. It's all going to a bar and telling people drinking 10 gallons of beer can be harnful.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 8, 2015 12:31 PM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
I love it when people try to force on others to stop discussing things because 'it's all subjective'.

Why do these people even bother to hang around the forums? It's all about exchanging opinions here. It's all going to a bar and telling people drinking 10 gallons of beer can be harnful.

Because they want to seem intelligent, they can't think of anything meaningful/thoughtful to say or add or form there own opinions so they throw the word subjective around in a vain attempt to seem intelligent .
Aug 8, 2015 12:33 PM

Jan 2013
>elitists
Aug 8, 2015 12:39 PM

Jan 2014
davinci12 said:
Just Troll accounts to downvote animes which is becoming much more popular on this site, edgy pretentious wannabe critics who have there head so far up there own asshole, people/kids who want to seem edgy and cool. In other words People with no lives with far to much time on there hands.
Aug 8, 2015 12:39 PM
Feb 2013
I dont watch bad anime. I only watch an anime if it has good MAL reviews. Ive watched a total of 130ish anime and ive enjoyed almost every one.
Aug 8, 2015 12:40 PM

Aug 2014
iNoto-san said:
davinci12 said:
Just Troll accounts to downvote animes which is becoming much more popular on this site, edgy pretentious wannabe critics who have there head so far up there own asshole, people/kids who want to seem edgy and cool. In other words People with no lives with far to much time on there hands.
Aug 8, 2015 12:42 PM

May 2013
strawmen
strawmen everywhere
Aug 10, 2015 9:11 PM

Sep 2013
Hazuk4shii said:
wasif_khan said:

means they did not enjoy their 75% of their anime. So the one asking this question is right, why they even bother watching if they are not enjoying

Because they enjoy that good 25% enough to justify going through other shit in order to discover the pearls

I have created about on MAL in 2013 but i became serious user in 2015, since 2015 i have become picky in selecting anime and I dont like it about myself. Try to watch all good anime out there who are rated 7+ on MAL :P
Aug 11, 2015 12:38 AM

Nov 2013
Gotta watch them all.
And yeah, most of the anime is bad.

The real problem is that lot of people are using the scale wrong, like using 7/10 as medicore, 6/10 as bad and 5/10 and the rest as appalling.
You all need to watch Nami.

Aug 11, 2015 1:03 AM
Oct 2013
When you watch so much of something, you start to see the same thing over and over to the point where you only score stuff that's unique at a higher score. Maybe they are just looking for something that doesn't seem so repetitive. Watching that many anime, you're bound to see similarities.
Aug 11, 2015 1:15 AM

Oct 2009
It's their own choice to watch those shows either they liked it or not, why would it bother you so much OP?

Sure there are rating trolls and tryhards, but some people are not easy to be pleased. The reason for the first two actually culminates from the same sentiment with people who judge on how other people rates anime.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 11, 2015 1:17 AM

Nov 2013
blabo said:
When you watch so much of something, you start to see the same thing over and over to the point where you only score stuff that's unique at a higher score. Maybe they are just looking for something that doesn't seem so repetitive. Watching that many anime, you're bound to see similarities.

Yeah, this too.
You all need to watch Nami.

Aug 11, 2015 1:24 AM
Dec 2014
cuz they r wnb cool kid elitits xDDDDD
Aug 11, 2015 4:19 AM

Oct 2013
For me, if the anime is bad, I'll just drop, too boring to be finished
Aug 11, 2015 4:42 AM

Aug 2013
dadnaya said:
For me, if the anime is bad, I'll just drop, too boring to be finished

yup

i don't finish anime that suck, and i don't rate anime i don't finish (for the most part)

therefore my average rating sits around 8, and i'm unapologetic about that, i'm not going to give a 5 to something i legitimately thought was good just for the sake of balance, that's absurd
Aug 11, 2015 8:02 AM

Jan 2015
Yea especially people like theanimesnob..
Aug 11, 2015 8:04 AM

Jul 2013
TokonatsuYuu said:

Some people enjoy watching anime and some other enjoys criticizing and writing about them. Just because you don't agree with what he does doesn't mean that his way of enjoying the medium is wrong.
Aug 11, 2015 8:06 AM

Jun 2015
abystoma2 said:
The real problem is that lot of people are using the scale wrong, like using 7/10 as medicore, 6/10 as bad and 5/10 and the rest as appalling.

^This
Aug 11, 2015 8:07 AM

May 2014
Isn't it..., watching>rating??

Foxiewut said:
Why do some people even bother watching anime if 75% of their anime is hated by them and rated really low, like what is the point of watching something you hate so much.

Because they watch it first and hate after.... I can't believe someone would watch an anime they hate beforehand, such a waste of time.
You don't watch something you hate so much. You watch it and hate it afterwards.
Aug 11, 2015 8:56 AM

Aug 2015
KamSung said:
Isn't it..., watching>rating??

Foxiewut said:
Why do some people even bother watching anime if 75% of their anime is hated by them and rated really low, like what is the point of watching something you hate so much.

Because they watch it first and hate after.... I can't believe someone would watch an anime they hate beforehand, such a waste of time.
You don't watch something you hate so much. You watch it and hate it afterwards.

if i dont like any anime, 5 episodes is the longest i can give, if i somehow finished it. thats mean its not in 1-4 rate scale. 4 or 5 episodes should be enough to tell whether you like it or not. some people force themselves to finish the show so they can add it to their list and show off how jobless they are.
Aug 11, 2015 3:57 PM

May 2015
If you think that 5 is bad and 7 is average you are using 5-scale system then, just instead of 1-5 range it's 5-10. What's the point?

5 doesn't mean bad, it's just not good enough, while 6 is good but nothing special, 7 is better but something was not ok, 8 is almost excellent, 9 is excellent, 10 is the best.
Bad starts only below 5, even though 4 is still kind of ok, 3 - "at least they tried", 2 - maybe it had just one good feature, everything else was horrible, 1 is the worst.

And this scale doesn't need to be objective at all, you can compare it with your own scores, like if I doubt about something I just ask myself "was it better/worse than that anime or on the same level?"

Why would you watch anime you don't like? Well, there could be several reasons.
1. You liked the idea or something else that made you interested, hope that everything will get better but it is not.
2. The end of anime can ruin all the previous impression.
3. You can't know for sure how to judge the whole show just by few episodes. So you need to watch all the episodes just to have fair opinion.
4. You are just bored to death and have nothing else to watch.
5. Airing shows are harder to drop because 20 minutes per week seem like not that much of a waste.

Anyway, everyone can think for themselves and decide what to watch and how to get enjoyment out of it. All in all, scores are just numbers.
Aug 11, 2015 3:58 PM
Feb 2014
Because they haven't seen Aikatsu yet. Those ungrateful slobs haven't properly watched anime yet.
Aug 11, 2015 3:59 PM
Feb 2011
At least for me, as long as I haven't given an anime a rating of 1, I still enjoyed watching it.
Aug 12, 2015 3:12 AM

Jun 2014
People on mal are too harsh on their ratings. They act like they are professional anime rankers and reviewers and forget that the most important thing about watching anime and the soul reason for watching it is to... enjoy it!

I rate pretty highly unless its actual shit, souly because anime impresses me no matter what year its from and what genre it attempts to portray.

I love watching it because it gives me enjoyment. To me a lot of anime is great (9/10), very good (8/10) and to me a masterpiece doesn't have to represent perfection. In fact it can be entirely imperfect!

Its the presentation and enjoyment that i rate from. Haters gonna hate and i love giving series with averages of 6 or less a big fat 9 or 10 because they deserve better than critics with note pads and pens waiting to hate.

My take on it anyway
Aug 12, 2015 3:20 AM

Jul 2013
GHVegetables said:
People on mal are too harsh on their ratings. They act like they are professional anime rankers and reviewers and forget that the most important thing about watching anime and the soul reason for watching it is to... enjoy it!

When 7 is considered average then people are sure enough not rating harshly and you can enjoy anime but still use a proper rating system where you don't give every show a 9 or 10, it even makes you look like a fanboy.

GHVegetables said:
I rate pretty highly unless its actual shit, souly because anime impresses me no matter what year its from and what genre it attempts to portray.

That's how a lot of people start out but it starts changing as they watch more.

GHVegetables said:
I love watching it because it gives me enjoyment. To me a lot of anime is great (9/10), very good (8/10) and to me a masterpiece doesn't have to represent perfection. In fact it can be entirely imperfect!

Its the presentation and enjoyment that i rate from. Haters gonna hate and i love giving series with averages of 6 or less a big fat 9 or 10 because they deserve better than critics with note pads and pens waiting to hate.

Criticizing anime =/= Hating it.
Aug 12, 2015 3:26 AM

Nov 2014
Infatuate said:
Because they watch way too much anime.

I only watch stuff that catches my interest and rate it based on my overall enjoyment, however there are people who watch EVERY SINGLE SHOW AIRING on each season, and of course lots of them are subpar.

Obviously I like anime but I wonder what could be said about those individuals. Do they love anime? maybe, judging by the time they spend watching... except they seem to hate most of the stuff they watch. Guess they don't have anything else to do in their lives.

Pretty much this.

"I had thought that all my days were wasted,
where in fact they were such a bounty.
Always dreaming of the unrealistic,
I never looked what I had around me."
- Tatami Galaxy
Aug 12, 2015 3:45 AM

Aug 2015
Akaerna said:
Infatuate said:
Because they watch way too much anime.

I only watch stuff that catches my interest and rate it based on my overall enjoyment, however there are people who watch EVERY SINGLE SHOW AIRING on each season, and of course lots of them are subpar.

Obviously I like anime but I wonder what could be said about those individuals. Do they love anime? maybe, judging by the time they spend watching... except they seem to hate most of the stuff they watch. Guess they don't have anything else to do in their lives.

Pretty much this.

*Shots Fired*
Aug 12, 2015 5:01 AM

Oct 2014
You know that rare moment when you see a unique anime/manga that simply blows your mind up? yeah that makes it worth the bullshit.

Aug 12, 2015 5:02 AM
Dec 2014
When I started to watch anime I decided to watch only the good ones. I do my research. Why bother watching stuff that you don't like? But to each his own.
Aug 12, 2015 5:02 AM

Apr 2014
They have high standards and don't rate on enjoyment like most people.

Also, they might be masochists.
Aug 12, 2015 5:15 AM

Jul 2013
Feniksrises said:
When I started to watch anime I decided to watch only the good ones. I do my research. Why bother watching stuff that you don't like? But to each his own.

Just because a series is praised or seems like I might like doesn't mean that I'll actually end up enjoying it. Also there are people that really like trying out all sort of stuff and don't restrict themselves to a couple genres.
Aug 12, 2015 6:47 AM

Aug 2015
Kruzy said:
Feniksrises said:

Just because a series is praised or seems like I might like doesn't mean that I'll actually end up enjoying it. Also there are people that really like trying out all sort of stuff and don't restrict themselves to a couple genres.
still, i can only see the rate scale 1-4 for the dropped list. if it somehow manage to made it to completed list then 5 should be the lowest score. (well short OVAs, specials and movies dont count ).
Aug 12, 2015 7:07 AM

Sep 2012
xKula said:
Kruzy said:

still, i can only see the rate scale 1-4 for the dropped list. if it somehow manage to made it to completed list then 5 should be the lowest score. (well short OVAs, specials and movies dont count ).

Haha.
Aug 12, 2015 7:09 AM

Jul 2013
one thing is giving a lot of average scores, like 4-5-6, whatever..
but giving 1 or 2 to everything they watch is just plain stupid and it means that they are trying hard to look smart
1 and 10 are the extremes of the rating possibilities, how come they give 1's so easily but try so hard to give very few 10's? as it is hard for a show to be perfect, it is always hard to fail in everything, and that is why people who give 1's and 2's so easily are full of shit
Aug 12, 2015 7:17 AM
Dec 2014
Kruzy said:
Feniksrises said:

Good point. Sometimes you come along a vem that nobody else liked or is actively hated:

Iria Zeitram and Gundam SEED are my biggest examples of this.
Aug 12, 2015 7:25 AM

Feb 2013
TokonatsuYuu said:
he has a pretty normal rating distribution tho

Aug 12, 2015 7:28 AM

Jan 2015
romagia said:
TokonatsuYuu said:
he has a pretty normal rating distribution tho

regular MALers consider that as "elitism" already
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Aug 12, 2015 7:42 AM

Apr 2013
this thread always pops up and every time i'm amazed at how unintelligible people are about a simple thing like ratings

Aug 12, 2015 7:51 AM
May 2009
Just cause they rate the show low doesn't mean they don't enjoy it. They probably just have a stricter rating system than us.
Aug 12, 2015 7:54 AM

May 2015
GHVegetables said:

My take on it anyway

People become critics because they're passionate about a subject and are interesting in exporing it and thinking about it. They may seem harsh, sure, but then check their reviews of their favorite anime. You see them in pure joy.

Critical/Enjoyable is a false dichotomy.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 12, 2015 7:54 AM

Jul 2013
xKula said:
Kruzy said:

Why should 5 be the lowest score? If I disliked it then it definitely doesn't deserve a rating above 4 and there's nothing wrong with finishing series that you disliked.
Aug 12, 2015 7:58 AM

Jul 2015
GHVegetables said:

My take on it anyway

Maybe not everyone rates based solely on enjoyment and tries to give series the rating they deserve? I for example, try to be somewhat objective with my ratings, which is why I gave Akame ga Kill and Guilty Crown a low rating, not because I hated them (I found both of them rather entertaining, really), but because the writing didn't deserve any more than a 3.

Ratings =/= enjoyment.
VoxOfTheSheepleAug 12, 2015 8:01 AM
Aug 12, 2015 8:04 AM

Aug 2010
Well, they are somehow right, since a lot of anime is not worth it or simply bad. Only a few anime are brilliant and make us hooked up. Of course, I'm talking in a demanding way and in name of all those critics around there. Also, I believe we should evaluate an anime accordingly of its all characteristics and not just for its level of entertainment.

Of course people can still love anime, despise this. Just because you give a lot of bad ratings to most anime doesn't mean you don't like it, because anime is much more than that. It's an art.
Aug 12, 2015 8:13 AM

Aug 2015
Kruzy said:
xKula said:

Why should 5 be the lowest score? If I disliked it then it definitely doesn't deserve a rating above 4 and there's nothing wrong with finishing series that you disliked.
why finished series you disliked? too much free time?

EDIT: forgot to mention, ofc there's nothing wrong with finishing series that you disliked but why spend your time on things you disliked?
SucirylliAug 12, 2015 8:19 AM
Aug 12, 2015 8:26 AM

Feb 2013
IspanoGuymelef said:
GHVegetables said:

My take on it anyway

Maybe not everyone rates based solely on enjoyment and tries to give series the rating they deserve? I for example, try to be somewhat objective with my ratings, which is why I gave Akame ga Kill and Guilty Crown a low rating, not because I hated them (I found both of them rather entertaining, really), but because the writing didn't deserve any more than a 3.

Ratings =/= enjoyment.
i find it really weird that we have such high compatibility o0 as you also didn't seem to like Nagiasu, Ga Rei Zero, Wixoss, Panty&Stocking and Inferno Cop
Aug 12, 2015 8:28 AM

Jul 2013
xKula said:
Kruzy said:

That's just one of several reasons. I've finished series because I had nothing else to watch, because I wanted to know how it ended, because I wanted to discuss/bash it with my friends, because I used it as a pass timer every week until the next airing episode came out, because I needed my weekly dose of shitty anime. Heck, the reason why I'm bothering to finish Ranpo Kitan and Gakkou Gurashi this season is to get an achievement in MALgraph and nothing more.
Aug 12, 2015 8:28 AM

Sep 2012
xKula said:
Kruzy said:

EDIT: forgot to mention, ofc there's nothing wrong with finishing series that you disliked but why spend your time on things you disliked?

You talk like you are an expert on this matter. Here is some info for you, most anime aren't bad from the start. What if a show fucked up itself in the last episode? People managed to finish those shows because they were decent and went to shit in the last few episodes, obviously they will rate them low.
Aug 12, 2015 8:34 AM

Sep 2013
Because they try to act cool by being critics, but they fail at it, and I laugh at them as they look like idiots rating awesome animes 2s. Freaking losers...
♜♞♝♛♚♝♞♜
♟♟♟♟♟♟♟♟
Join Me, Pawns!
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» What if aliens made every anime have aliens in it?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

21 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - Yesterday

41 by PeripheralVision »»
15 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes

removed-user - Yesterday

48 by Alpha-Nine »»
16 minutes ago

» Would you watch AI anime? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Yesterday

62 by T3NLTD »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character?

Shizuna - 7 hours ago

23 by FanofAction »»
50 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.