Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 1, 2013 2:00 AM

Nov 2013
Have you encountered one?? and why do you think so??. I think Kirei Kotomine from Fate/Zero is a good example of this. I think his voice doesn't fit the character. The VA's voice is very big and deep, this kind of voice is fitted for big characters with mascular bodies.

Fate/Zero SPOILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmqJvVqw8cs
b-b-b-baka!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 1, 2013 2:08 AM

Jan 2009
i cannot remember any
Nov 1, 2013 2:14 AM

Jan 2013
Recently completed Mawaru penguindrum, and I have to say the voice of Himari was really horrible, she sounded like a 90 year old granny..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Nov 1, 2013 2:15 AM

Sep 2012
Kuroko from the Railgun/Index series. Honestly, she sounds like a dying grandma as opposed to her rich, teenage girl image.

But I got used to it
Nov 1, 2013 2:17 AM
Mar 2013
The only one I remember off the top of my head is Goku's voice from DBZ. When I was a kid I thought his voice was way too high.
Nov 1, 2013 2:22 AM

Jul 2013
http://myanimelist.net/character/32922/Ranko_Hata - she sounds like the robot from To Love-Ru....hate her voice..not fitted for a high school girl..
Nov 1, 2013 2:41 AM

Aug 2012
emeraldrosary said:
The only one I remember off the top of my head is Goku's voice from DBZ. When I was a kid I thought his voice was way too high.
This.

Portuguese dubs are way better for Goku. I mean, they are DAMN PERFECT.

We even got a meme on Brazil "Oi, eu sou o Goku!" (Hey, my name's Goku!) because the dubs are so perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuhLMGjuMx4

Explore it however you want.

(Yes, the opening is also dubbed. So perfect.)
Nov 1, 2013 2:49 AM

Apr 2013
I actually think the voice used for Kirei was spot on.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Nov 1, 2013 2:59 AM

Apr 2013
Nase Mitsuki from Kyoukai no Kanata.. Her voice doesn't suit her at all. Its too deep.
huehuheh
Nov 1, 2013 3:36 AM
Jun 2012
geralt said:
I actually think the voice used for Kirei was spot on.

Nakata has a wonderful deep voice. I was watching Machine Doll and recognized his voice instantly, and now I can't stop picturing the dragon like this http://puu.sh/55uTf.jpg
Nov 1, 2013 4:05 AM

Oct 2013
Kotomine had that voice since Fate/stay night was first ported to PS2. It fits him perfectly. I can't really think of any VA that doesn't fit the character. They take VA very seriously in Japan. Heck, sometimes a character may even be adjusted to fit a popular VA, instead of the other way around.
Nov 1, 2013 4:13 AM
Jun 2012
Rinth said:
I can't really think of any VA that doesn't fit the character. They take VA very seriously in Japan. Heck, sometimes a character may even be adjusted to fit a popular VA, instead of the other way around.

This is mainly why I dislike dubs, I can't really recall a character that had a voice that didn't fit which isn't the case with dubs. Not to say that good dubs don't exist however.
Nov 1, 2013 4:44 AM

Nov 2012
Only time I think a voice doesn't fit it's character is when I switch from Sub to Dub, and think the English voice actors don't fit the person they are voicing.

"Climb the mountain not so the world can see you, but so that you can see the world."
Nov 1, 2013 4:47 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
If you have ever played Tales of Xillia, the main female characters voice in the english dub makes me want to kill my self.
I don't know how my brother has 50 hours played on it when I can't stand 6 minutes of her voice
Nov 1, 2013 4:50 AM

Jul 2013
Edward Elric in Japanese. I always thought Vic did a much better job than Romi ever could with Ed.
Nov 1, 2013 5:02 AM

Jan 2013
Almost any Japanese person that voices a white, black, or other ethnic character.

Especially if they're located in Europe or somewhere based off a non Asian foreign country. Blonde people in the middle ages never spoke Japanese. Nor do white & black people in New York in the 1930's. Nor do British & German people in WWII.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Nov 1, 2013 5:03 AM

Sep 2011
Zelot said:
If you have ever played Tales of Xillia, the main female characters voice in the english dub makes me want to kill my self.
I don't know how my brother has 50 hours played on it when I can't stand 6 minutes of her voice
Milla's voice was fine, her acting at times was off but in terms of fitting its perfect for her. The tales games generally have strong voice acting in dub and sub and xillia was probably the best one yet, milla was the only one whos voice was really off and the guy who played alvin seriously needs more roles cause he reached troy baker levels at times, tales game shave great 1 on 1 fights and xillia has one of the best and in that 1v1 scene the guy who played alvin really killed it and sold the character.

CamoBullo said:
Edward Elric in Japanese. I always thought Vic did a much better job than Romi ever could with Ed.
I'll agree to this as well, this was the main reason i watched the dub for both series, his japanese voice actor makes him sound like hes 6, the actress that played him was fine but its voice was so unfitting it was off-putting, thank god both fma dubs did the show justice
JizzyHitlerNov 1, 2013 5:06 AM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 1, 2013 5:04 AM

Jan 2013
Zelot said:

Maybe because he's not a weeaboo.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Nov 1, 2013 5:25 AM

Jan 2008
The brother in Sasami-san@Ganbaranai.
Nov 1, 2013 7:10 AM

Jun 2013
The Russian dub of Misa from Death Note. Probably the only dub where her voice isn't really high pitched and squeaky. Also, the English dubbed Gasai Yuno has a really low voice, but I probably just think that after hearing her annoyingly high pitched voice in the Japanese dub.
Nov 1, 2013 7:14 AM

Jun 2012
English dub of Now and Then, Here and There. I normally like dubs, but the dubbed voices didn't fit any of the main characters and detracted from the show at points.
получить деньги моего друга

Apr 2013
Roy Mustang sounded silly in English.

Jan 2013
skuka said:
The Russian dub of Misa from Death Note. Probably the only dub where her voice isn't really high pitched and squeaky. Also, the English dubbed Gasai Yuno has a really low voice, but I probably just think that after hearing her annoyingly high pitched voice in the Japanese dub.

Not a lot of Russian women have high pitched voices. I've even seen girls as young as 10 start developing deep voices. I think it's a genetic thing, thy can't really help it. My friends wife is Russian. Very cute and petite looking. You'd swear she's have an equally cutesy voice to go along with it. But helll, it's deeper than a lot men's voices.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Oct 2013
English Dub Alphonse from Fullmetal Alchemist, it just never sat right for me, though I kinda got used to it.

I mean, the anime was absolutely perfect in Japanese, 11/10, and they did a superb job on dubbing Ed's voice, but I feel as if Al's doesn't fit, not that the sound of the voice doesn't fit, well ,the actor I mean, but the way that I just feel he never really showed THAT much emotion, it was always pretty monotone for me
Nov 1, 2013 7:16 AM

Apr 2007
MajinSaga said:
Almost any Japanese person that voices a white, black, or other ethnic character.

Especially if they're located in Europe or somewhere based off a non Asian foreign country. Blonde people in the middle ages never spoke Japanese. Nor do white & black people in New York in the 1930's. Nor do British & German people in WWII.

Just wondering, do you have this problem in other media?

In the Captain America: The First Avenger movie, all the Nazis spoke English. That bothered the hell out of me, especially since one of the first scenes in the movie had people in Norway, speaking Norwegian, subtitled. At least be consistent about your translation conventions, goddamn it.

Sep 2008
The Legend of Black Heaven, Japanese version of black guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPp3nl6JmiQ
There's also the English version showed after the Japanese version.

May 2013
Dr Tenma's english voice actor did not suit him at all.
Nov 1, 2013 7:24 AM

Jan 2013
ona said:
MajinSaga said:

In the Captain America: The First Avenger movie, all the Nazis spoke English. That bothered the hell out of me, especially since one of the first scenes in the movie had people in Norway, speaking Norwegian, subtitled. At least be consistent about your translation conventions, goddamn it.

It does. All the time.
ona said:
MajinSaga said:

It does actually. All the time. Especially in live action films or tv. That's just laziness to not have the actors talk in a specific language. It bothers me more in anime for some reason though.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Nov 1, 2013 7:34 AM

Apr 2007
MajinSaga said:
It does actually. All the time. Especially in live action films or tv. That's just laziness to not have the actors talk in a specific language. It bothers me more in anime for some reason though.

The worst offender I've seen so far is The Book Thief - only the trailer's out so far, but it features German characters... in Germany... in the middle of WW2... speaking English with German accents. aaaaaaurrrrggghhhdkfjsdfkjdf!!!
Nov 1, 2013 7:44 AM

May 2010
I think I might get some flack for this, but the english voice for Ed from Full Metal Alchemist, it was too old.

And Barret from Final Fantasy:Advent Children- it was too high pitched
Nov 1, 2013 7:44 AM

Jul 2013
The reason there aren't subs in Hollywood movies is because

1. America is stupid and doesn't want to read that shit.
2. The actors can't speak the language and poorly spoken ____ will only hinder the performances. It's the same reason foreign movies avoid broken Engrish whenever possible since it'll only hurt the movie.

Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Basterds is probably the only time I've seen being fluent in different languages actually elevate or add anything to a performance.
Nov 1, 2013 7:45 AM

Apr 2007
wooden-mango said:
I think I might get some flack for this, but the english voice for Ed from Full Metal Alchemist, it was too old.

lol, someone else in this very thread said the opposite - that it was the Japanese voice for Ed that didn't fit his character.
Nov 1, 2013 7:49 AM

May 2010
ona said:
wooden-mango said:

lol, someone else in this very thread said the opposite - that it was the Japanese voice for Ed that didn't fit his character.

Oh I hadn't seen that. Haha, ohwell. We all have different tastes.Maybe it;s one of those voices that is hard to get right cause I could see why someone might think the Japanese voice is too /young/.
Nov 1, 2013 7:52 AM
Jul 2018
Easily Goku in Japanese
Nov 1, 2013 7:57 AM

Nov 2012
MajinSaga said:

Dutch and Benny from Black lagoon are prime examples.

TomBomb said:
every voice in a dub

Ignorant moron.
Nov 1, 2013 8:01 AM

Jul 2013
Tomoki_Sakurai said:
MajinSaga said:

Dutch and Benny from Black lagoon are prime examples.

TomBomb said:
every voice in a dub

Ignorant moron.
ouch. thats deep.
Nov 1, 2013 8:02 AM

Aug 2012
Starchaser187 said:
Easily Goku in Japanese
Pretty much this. I couldn't stand hearing a whiny kid's voice from a grown man.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Nov 1, 2013 8:04 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Pokemon Origins.
I just wished the voice actor changed the pitch of voice, but no, I am hearing Naruto call in Pokemon. I sorta thought in my head that Red had a deeper voice.
Nov 1, 2013 8:04 AM

Nov 2012
PrimeX said:

TomBomb said:
every voice in a dub

Ignorant moron.
ouch. thats deep.

Well If they are going to hate on something just due to the fact they dislike it, then you are an idiot. If you want to argue using examples and reasons then fine. Could care less whether you like or dislike dubs. Just explain why in a non-retarded manner.
Nov 1, 2013 8:05 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Every dub ever

http://myanimelist.net/character/4180/Nono_Nekomiya
^ this girl's voice made me physically cringe at just about every word
Nov 1, 2013 8:12 AM

Dec 2012
Kid trunks in the new Dragon ball movie ( not only did it not fit him, the voice alone is just bad)

Revy from Black lagoon ( You would think this type of character would sound great in English but nope think again)

shattereddreamzz said:
Recently completed Mawaru penguindrum, and I have to say the voice of Himari was really horrible, she sounded like a 90 year old granny..

I actually thought the voice actor did a pretty good job, she fitted her personality. Himari tries to act like a mature older person for the sake of her brother.
Nov 1, 2013 9:55 AM

Feb 2010
MajinSaga said:
Zelot said:

Don't you get tired of saying the same meaningless shit every time?
Nov 1, 2013 9:58 AM

Sep 2011
stupidfucker said:
English dub of Now and Then, Here and There. I normally like dubs, but the dubbed voices didn't fit any of the main characters and detracted from the show at points.
now and then here and there's dub features the only case of crispin freeman doing a BAD job, its hard to picture that but he did terribly in it

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 1, 2013 10:06 AM

Feb 2013
Yeeeeeees. The D.Gray-Man dub. Almost none of the voices fit. Blah.
Nov 1, 2013 10:27 AM
May 2012
the lead female char fino or whatsoever on yu-sibu.. looks like she only forced to dub her..
Nov 1, 2013 10:49 AM

Oct 2013
lol the first time i ever watched a dubbed anime was because of Kenshin Himura from the Rurouni Kenshin series, the subbed voice was just o.o weird..
Nov 1, 2013 10:51 AM

Nov 2008
Flume said:
Kuroko from the Railgun/Index series. Honestly, she sounds like a dying grandma as opposed to her rich, teenage girl image.

But I got used to it

Naoko-san as well, same VA and that same granny voice she does.

Nov 1, 2013 11:39 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
JizzyHitler said:
Zelot said:
Milla's voice was fine, her acting at times was off but in terms of fitting its perfect for her. The tales games generally have strong voice acting in dub and sub and xillia was probably the best one yet, milla was the only one whos voice was really off and the guy who played alvin seriously needs more roles cause he reached troy baker levels at times, tales game shave great 1 on 1 fights and xillia has one of the best and in that 1v1 scene the guy who played alvin really killed it and sold the character.

I'll agree with you that the other voice acting was good, not outstanding, but they matched the characters well. I sorta disliked that one villain, the little girl, the one you fight in the beginning and again later in the campaign. My brother loved her voice acting though. I actually haven't played Tales Of games though.

MajinSaga said:
Zelot said:

He is as much of a weeaboo as I am, it's just Milla's voice sounded like a 40 year old, even though she looked like she was 17-18.
[spoilers]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqo4FTp8Oio
It just doesn't fit IMO
Nov 2, 2013 3:17 PM

Jun 2013
Even though I'm far from a fan of the Clannad dub, I feel like Greg Ayres voicing Youhei made a lot more sense than the deep voice he had in the original version. I mean, Ayres gave him a whiny, immature voice. Isn't that exactly what he is?
Nov 2, 2013 3:25 PM

Jun 2013
MajinSaga said:
ona said:
MajinSaga said:

It does. All the time.
ona said:
MajinSaga said:

Guys, what the heck? They don't speak whatever language ultimately makes the most sense because very few famous actors speak all these languages. It's pretty unfair to force them to somehow become fluent in languages they would never use other than to play these parts, and they wouldn't sound "native" at all. If they hired actual *insert language here* native speakers, then chances are no one in the american public will know who they are. It only makes sense that people are going to make movies in their native language regardless of what language they should actually be speaking in that setting.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - May 16

125 by DesuMaiden »»
1 minute ago

» what do you think is the worst genre ever existed ( 1 2 )

dumbandinsane - Apr 20

54 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago

» Why Don't You Watch More Spooky Anime?

LenRea - 5 hours ago

21 by DesuMaiden »»
7 minutes ago

» When did the term “Japanimation” started to become “anime” and what was the cause of that?

funtime43_tr - 8 hours ago

13 by traed »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime that made you feel emotional

ST63LTH - May 21

18 by Swyzen »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.