Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 8, 5:27 AM

Nov 2011
Ah yes, Saki's classmate Maaya...she's has been overshadowed by the main cast but hey, she finally got more screen time. Coming to visit to help Saki to study, it definitely gave her time to talk and learn more about her.

More so, it appears she is curious about Saki's relationship with Yuuta. Despite some of the lighthearted vibes of this episode, it still retains the usual melancholic mood.
Aug 8, 6:04 AM

Apr 2010
A cliffhanger in the end, well it looks like the siblings will be working together from now on.
This is making me wonder about the sempai and what she will do with this, things could be pretty interesting.
Also if you leave clothes outside to dry make sure you take them back inside before leaving the house.

Maya helping out was nice but i guess they main will stand out being near her.
Aug 8, 6:16 AM

Jul 2017
Another decent little episode here. Wasn't a huge fan of Maaya in the books and I still feel that way with the anime but the anime did get to show her off a bit more in depth in this episode, especially in her conversation with Asamura about Ayase and their relationship despite being strangers not too long before. Still pretty atmospheric and still got great music as a whole, and a good cliffhanger at the end there with Ayase looking to work at the same place as Asamura. She did talk about his senpai earlier in the episode too and how there was another woman he relied on and trusted a bit and how she wants Asamura to rely on her more. Saki does also want to work and earn her pay right now but there might be another underlying motive with the job here potentially, for the time being at least.
Aug 8, 6:32 AM

Aug 2017
More Maaya screentime was nice, such a great friend and I don't mind seeing more of her.

Saki working at the same place as Yuuta was kinda something that I saw coming after the previous episode, this should be fun.
Aug 8, 7:12 AM
Mar 2024
IdiomFlagstone said:
The animation was very poor this episode (it wasn't great before, but at least passable). I hope this won't be a trend for the rest of the season.

not great ?! , never mind, that's your opinion, but this episode is great , and the animation in the all show was very good . You aren't in this type of show , that's yours , but trending, it's about all of us, not you only , don't speak for another people
Aug 8, 8:13 AM

Jan 2024
Nice episode and good progress between Saki and Yuuta
Good to see Saki's effort was rewarded.
Looking forward too how these two and Shiori will interact together it will be fun.
WaterMageAug 18, 3:45 AM
Aug 8, 8:19 AM
May 2020
Good Episode, I like it
Aug 8, 8:35 AM
Dec 2022
@IdiomFlagstone I think the animation is better than before, and there was absolutely nothing boring in this episode
Aug 8, 8:46 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Animation was worse than before.
Still good episode :)
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Aug 8, 8:51 AM

May 2019
I thought this was a pretty good episode as I'm getting used to how quiet some of the scenes are but they do have some impact to them. Early on Maaya added a bit of silliness/comic relief with her being all nosy and encouraging Asamura and Saki to hook up (at least that's how I interpreted it) and then later it got more serious with Asamura worried about Saki with the heavy storm going on and her not replying to his text.

On that note I'm not surprised that Saki brought up Shiori in the elevator as I felt a jealous vibe from her when they went out to watch a movie in the previous episode and now she is applying on working at the bookstore... things are going to get more interesting.
Aug 8, 8:54 AM

Jan 2023
That Maaya girl is quite the detective haha!

Loved how much Yuuta got worried about Saki test and when she didn't come.
Follows that long conversation in the elevator, probably my favorite scene in the entire series so far, as so much is told in it or so it seems.
Also loved the way she mentioned his senpai at work out of nowhere, you could guess her jealousy pretty clearly, and that is confirmed in the cliffhanger I would say when she suddenly decides to try working at the same place as him.
In my post last week I wondered if they would develop more that whole 'love triangle' vibe that we saw, and it seems that it'll be the case, at least considering this episode.

Overall, I'd say this episode feels like the first one where we get to see the whole romance aspect finally developed (and not just through some subtle -almost cryptic- behavior clues, because here the worry of Yuuta and the jealousy of Saki are both clear as day), and I liked it a lot for that reason :)
MeguSae38Aug 8, 9:24 AM
Aug 8, 9:47 AM

Feb 2019
It’s like this show was just made for cinema buffs. One of the best directed slice of life series of all time and this was the best episode to me. Detective Maya planting the seeds of potential romance with Yuta and then that sublime last 8 minutes or so. Incredible.

I knew I’d like Maya from her very first appearance back in episode 2 or 3. Cute, silly but also extremely emotionally intelligent and aware of what’s going on. In this episode, she’s basically an audience fill in, getting the domino’s rolling on the Saki and Yuta ship. Letting Yuta know all the subtle changes that have happened with Saki as of late and how big a deal that is for a girl. She’s their biggest fan and I love that lol

The cooking montages in this show are also so dreamy and satisfying to watch. The transition into the nighttime dinner table conversation where Saki gives the good news of her grade results was so good. Again, scene composition is the standout here. The framing of the camera showing Yuta and Saki at the table from the hallway’s perspective, and then listening to Saki’s conversation from the hallway with her understated voice.. love shit like that. The director knows how to increase emotions with his scene composition

My fave thing about this episode was the use of scene transitions to show Yuta’s gradual realisation that he loves Saki. The show doesn’t come out and say it, or knock you over the head with it. Makes you think a bit and go on the same emotional journey as Yuta. Then the elevator scene where Saki basically gets blunt with her jealousy over Yuta’s relationship with senpai and lets him know she wants to be relied on. This scene is also great because of the mirror reflection which shows Yuta and Saki looking at each other as siblings but also as potential lovers.

Only complaint I have there is how tf did that elevator not move or make an alarm after all that time lmao.

That ending wow, saki really is going for it huh. Getting a job at Yuta’s bookstore is going to be very interesting
Marinate1016Aug 8, 10:27 AM
Aug 8, 10:05 AM
Mar 2024
Bro I can’t wait for season 2. I read the webnovel and it’s spicyyy
Aug 8, 10:28 AM
Jul 2020
@IdiomFlagstone Nah your English is fine. They're the one who misunderstood what you said.
Aug 8, 10:45 AM
Aug 2023
The slow plot really makes me feel relaxed after a long tiring day and the addition of good background music makes me think of something that I don't know how to describe, in short this episode is very good.
Aug 8, 10:49 AM
Nov 2022
The relationship between Ayase and Asamura leaves me with some doubts. It's clear that when you live and coexist well with someone, you start to develop a certain ‘affection’ for them, to the point where you care about their well-being (I’ve experienced this with roommates). However, of course, that doesn’t necessarily mean anything romantic is going on. As for the idea that ‘they do more things than they should,’ well, that’s easy to explain—it's called kindness, bruh.

I just hope that what comes next, with Ayase getting a job at the same place as Asamura, doesn’t feel forced
Aug 8, 11:34 AM

Feb 2021
The show must really hate Maru, they cut all his dialogues by half...
Aug 8, 11:53 AM

May 2021
if only this good direction had good animation to it... shouldn't expect much from Deen ig. it still feels so atmospheric and real.

slowly but surely, saki will now realise...
Aug 8, 1:15 PM

Jul 2023
The whole 23 minutes passed by quickly. This should be boring, but I feel joy watching it.

Saki studied then passed her lit exam.

Our boy Yuuta was woried that Saki wasn't at home yet so he tried to find her but she got home as soon as he was leaving.

Also, she applied for the same part-time work as Yuuta. Perhaps not as lucrative as she had wanted but it seems an opportunity to get close to him and keep an eye on the competition.

______

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?goto=post&topicid=2173260&id=71518380

The imagery here is something. As though they are speaking only to the mirror age of their true self.
patkarununganAug 8, 1:20 PM
Aug 8, 2:03 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Maaya was the light of the party this episode, it’s wild how much she takes over the scenes she’s in, it could be because of what Yuuta said, that she’s loud lol, but I think it’s more than that for sure, I enjoyed seeing her help Saki with her studies and then Yuuta with food, and of course there was also when she made Yuuta aware of some small changes with Saki and trying to get the ball rolling with the romance aspect. Imo, at this point in their relationship I can see it not going the romantic path, but I think things are definitely heading that direction so I can appreciate Maaya for furthering that.

And then came time for Saki’s test, I wasn’t expecting Yuuta to get worked up over it, that should be something Saki should be feeling lol, but it’s nice to see how much he worried about her, especially during the rain scene which I thought was about to lead to some emotional reunion in the rain, but an elevator meeting works too lol, the fact Yuuta almost dashed out after her is what counts. And the elevator scene itself was very nice, and interesting place for that kind of meeting and the mirror definitely added something, but it’s nice that Saki wants Yuuta to rely on her more, and since she ended up applying for that bookstore job after all I think we might see some competition with Shiori, I think that could be exciting, Shiori has the home field advantage but Saki lives with Yuuta so I’m interested in seeing how this goes.

And Kitri’s ED is hitting very hard now, that is the good shit.
Aug 8, 2:28 PM
Mar 2020
So the feelings are becoming more mutual. Ayase the independent wants to be depended on.

Loved her little joke with the test. "It's not the best score." That deadpan delivery without even a wink. She got him good.
Aug 8, 3:34 PM
Oct 2021
Can we take a moment to appreciate the background tracks? The piano pieces really create a delicate melancholy that sets the tone for each scene. Majorly impressed with the vision of the artistic directors and artists of this anime.
Aug 8, 3:48 PM
Jul 2021
EntropyEnhanced said:
Can we take a moment to appreciate the background tracks? The piano pieces really create a delicate melancholy that sets the tone for each scene. Majorly impressed with the vision of the artistic directors and artists of this anime.

Fully agreed. Another big reason why the show deserves so much more than its current 7.33 average rating 😒
Aug 8, 4:27 PM
Sep 2020
I think this anime should get 8.1+/10 rating. The production of this show is amazing. I don't get why it only got 7.33?? like wth
Aug 8, 4:41 PM

Aug 2022
- Will Yuuta's friend really give out romantic advice later on in the series? Stay tuned....

- Seemed like Maaya was filming the two stepsiblings as they walked home.

- Yuuta having difficulty making dinner, and Maaya intervening felt relatable.

- Maaya asks the elephant in the room: Does Yuuta have feelings for Saki? Of course, Yuuta denies this. Maaya then points out some of the changes that Saki has undergone recently, such as the use of perfume. Yuuta believes it is just a case of a woman living with a man, and little else. With his inexperience in romance, can't blame him for coming up with that conclusion.

- We see Yuuta distracted for a good deal of the next day. So much so, that his guy pal and Shiori notice a change in his usual demeanor. Is it just out of concern for Saki's exam results, or is it something more?

- Seems like that rainy days is when Yuuta automatically kicks himself into high gear to come to Saki's aid... even when she doesn't need it.

- All the worrying was all for naught, as Saki managed to get a 94 on her exam.

- "Or do you feel like you can only lean on someone older than you?" Oof. Saki is jealous of Shiori, despite Yuuta denying having romantic feelings for his senpai. Saki ain't doing a great job at hiding her romantic affections towards Yuuta.

- Lucky for the stepsiblings that no one else in their building wanted to use the elevator. 🙃

- With how addicted Saki got with lofi music, she better be more mindful of her phone battery level next time so that she can respond ASAP whenever Yuuta tries to contact her.

- The Chekov's gun of Saki's interest in the bookstore might payoff next episode. I get the feeling that Saki's jealousy of how close Shiori is with Yuuta was the final push she needed to compel her to apply for a job at her stepbrother's workplace.
Aug 8, 5:40 PM
Jul 2024
Very nice episode. Really thought I was going to hate the slow burn, but I am actually liking it a lot. The reflections in the elevator were a masterful touch, two thumbs up!
Aug 8, 6:13 PM

Aug 2017
Senpai has better chemistry with MC than Ayase.

Even the red haired girl is more fun than Ayase.

Ayase only has looks going for her. She's boring. No charisma.
Aug 8, 6:25 PM
Mar 2015
He worries about sister but she wants him to rely more on her
Aug 8, 6:37 PM

Apr 2022
she went for the job interview, nice i like this development.
Aug 8, 6:47 PM
Dec 2023
Watching this anime feels like listening to artic monkeys. Very blissful and relaxing.
Aug 8, 7:04 PM

Jul 2024
This continues to be a cozy show to watch
Aug 8, 7:27 PM
Dec 2018
god yes gooooooood
Aug 8, 8:05 PM
Oct 2020
I'm liking how there's a lot of scenes with just music.
It gives a lot of room to breathe.
Aug 8, 10:25 PM

Nov 2021
It will be interesting to see the dynamic between Saki, Yuuta, and Shiori at work (if she gets the job).

Not much happens in these episodes, but they still go by so fast and never feel boring. I think it just shows how good the direction is. The soundtrack is definitely elevating it as well.
Aug 9, 2:18 AM
Mar 2024
CarbonMD said:

give her a chance , her personality was under attack of trauma, so give saki just a chance
Aug 9, 3:01 AM
Jul 2014
They spent so long in the elevator I was half expecting the storm would trip the power and they'd get stuck there for a while.
Aug 9, 3:06 AM

Aug 2017
Reply to Ahmedpower
CarbonMD said:

give her a chance , her personality was under attack of trauma, so give saki just a chance
@Ahmedpower who wants to deal with all that baggage when there is chipper senpai or even red haired girl who no baggage?

I will give it to Ayase for looks though.
Aug 9, 3:35 AM
Mar 2024
CarbonMD said:
@Ahmedpower who wants to deal with all that baggage when there is chipper senpai or even red haired girl who no baggage?

I will give it to Ayase for looks though.

do you know some people who didn't speak with you too much , and they are speaking with them selves only , saki is like those people
but she will speak , and about senpai
the author, every week,he is speaking about the episodes ( I am quoted)

Thank you to everyone who watched episode 5. This is the weekly 'the one where I write my thoughts on the anime from the original author's point of view'. (Please note that this post contains spoilers for episode 5, so if you haven't seen it yet, please be careful. This long commentary/impression is only from my point of view and is a sub-content of this post. My interpretation is not the absolute correct answer, so I hope that everyone will take what they have received from this anime work in their own way and interpret it in their own way.

This time, I am not sure if the readers of the original novel have been able to understand it, and I would like to talk a little bit about "Yomiuri Senpai", who has hardly been mentioned in the work so far, including her backstory. I'd like to publish it as a novel at some point (or rather, I've already written one in the form of a novella). It's undecided, but if you get the chance, please let me publish it somewhere, MF Bunko J-san. I'm getting off topic. Anyway, this is the Yomiuri Senpai episode, which is full of things I want to talk about. It also contains a few spoilers (really, just a little bit) from the original story. Please be careful. Now, let's go.
**Why is Yomiuri Shiori attracted to Yuuta?**

In the anime, in order to focus most on the relationship between Yuuta and Saki, much of the rest of the story is omitted. In the case of novels, it is easy to "devise a way to make the issue not be forgotten while getting sidetracked" when depicting an issue, but this seems to be difficult to do in the case of images. I have the impression that it is difficult to 'touch on it quickly and lightly', because the significance of pointing the camera and cutting out the scene is heavy. For this reason, much of the interaction between Yuuta and Yomiuri Senpai is also omitted. If you depict the interaction with Yomiuri-senpai in exactly the same way as in the original novel, the story of Yuuta and Saki would become blurred. So it may be quite difficult to guess the reason why Yomiuri-senpai is attracted to Yuuta. However, I personally think that even if the reason cannot be understood precisely, the work is complete if you can accept that it is just the way it is, and that is not a problem. ...... about why Yomiuri Senpai is attracted to Yuuta. The biggest part is that he "hits back with interest, or flatly and firmly, whether it's jokes, textual lies, innuendos, gruff trivia or book talk". Yomiuri-senpai actually has the opposite personality to Saki: Saki is comfortable with serious talk and not with humour or jokes, whereas Yomiuri-senpai is comfortable with humour and jokes and not with serious talk. In other words, they are not good at conversations with a serious atmosphere. Especially when she talks to Yuuta herself, she find it quite awkward ...... to talk to him in a serious way without humour. The fact that Yuuta was able to communicate comfortably with both Saki, who wanted serious conversation, and Yomiuri Senpai, who wanted joking conversation, is evidence of his flat attitude towards everyone.

Now, let's talk about her upbringing, which led to the Yomiuri Senpai becoming "good at joking and not good at serious atmospheres". From childhood to middle school, she played with boys a lot and was immersed in boyish communication, which she felt comfortable with. However, as the gender gap became more pronounced in the upper grades, she made fewer friends, became lonely and, under the influence of her studious and well-read older brother, read more books and became a book lover. Despite attending an all-girls' school throughout junior high, high school and university, she was not completely without contact with men, and was sometimes taken to blind dates, but she was quite fed up with the boredom of the men she met there. Well, this is not limited to men, but there were many times when her lies and jokes were taken too seriously, or she was taken back or thought to be black-hearted, and the words she said in a light-hearted way that she hoped would be fun to talk about within the scope of humour for her were taken in a way that was unexpected. When other girls with an easily understandable, light-hearted mood are having similar conversations, they don't get such an atmosphere, but when Yomiuri Senpai says the same thing, they don't get it. 'You're not that type, Shiori. You don't have to force yourself~' They are very attentive. More to the point, people of the opposite sex would immediately put on a serious mood and try to hit on her. She was tired of such relationships. Yuuta was not like that. She felt comfortable spending time with a man who treated her flatly and without assumptions, and she came to like him. This is actually a spin-off of Yomiuri Senpai in the "Manga Angel Neko Oka", where she touches on some of her secrets. (But this is quite superficial and does not touch on the most important events of her 'past' in the development of her character.)

https://youtu.be/x52_1mhg9RY?si=TyhSgbkbbhzcfcCR

There is another major element in her personality, which is discussed further down. By the way, this kind of thought process of the Yomiuri Senpai is not clearly written in the original novel. The setting exists, but it is only presumed, not revealed. This is because if 'Gimai Seikatsu' is a private novel between Yuuta and Saki, there is no way to get to the truth of it. If I wrote the work in such a way that all of Yomiuri Senpai's past and backbone could be conveyed without misunderstanding, I would feel that it was a 'lie' at that point, so I dare not make it explicit in the main story.
Aug 9, 3:47 AM
Oct 2019
Damn these Red hair is annoyed me, mind your own business lol

Bro is actually worried about her step sister, that's adorable.
Aug 9, 12:12 PM
Sep 2022
worst and the most boring titel in summer season, ranobe was better
Aug 9, 1:21 PM

Apr 2021
Does this anime incorporate ASMR moments on purpose?
They always have a quiet section that features a character talking very softly.

Oh she is now interviewing for a job at his book store, maybe she is jealous or trying to interfere with Yomiuri, Shiori's influence on th guy she likes.

And can someone answer why the Japanese are always resisting compliments and appreciation?
I mean, even when it is super obvious that a person should be thanked for their work or help, they resist it like the plague.
Why is that? 😅
ejleonAug 9, 2:16 PM
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Aug 9, 2:35 PM
Jul 2024
This episode was fine, but I think I'll drop this show. I like this sort of thing, but I'm not connecting to the characters.
Aug 9, 3:18 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to WerewolfAshen
This episode was fine, but I think I'll drop this show. I like this sort of thing, but I'm not connecting to the characters.
@WerewolfAshen see it's about story , not about characters, I respect your opinion for real but , you will lose some moments in the future, 6 more episodes not that much with you
Aug 10, 12:53 AM
Jul 2024
Reply to Ahmedpower
@WerewolfAshen see it's about story , not about characters, I respect your opinion for real but , you will lose some moments in the future, 6 more episodes not that much with you
@Ahmedpower No shade. People are allowed to like different things. I don't honestly think this is a bad show.

I'm just a very character-driven viewer. I can't watch things unless I like the characters. It's just how I'm wired.

Totally respect other people's rights to be wired differently. I sincerely hope you have a great time watching it.
Aug 10, 1:44 AM

Jul 2017
Man, the level of misunderstanding that Yuki and Maaya are dating from Maru's standpoint, even if the latter and Saki are best friends and also knowing that they're both staying together, they're stuck with it while she's around being a goofball while getting studying advice from Saki. That's even more so for Maaya trying her very best to be the winggirl between Yuta and Saki, though he doesn't think much of it and treats her just like a sibling while cooking sweet and sour pork dinner for her to give a boost to her morale for the tests the next day.

The next day, Yuta, however, falters with his job, and Shiori sensing his game being off, he's just that flustered in the midst of a heavy storm with Saki not being at home conspicuously also. But she did manage to get home to pass her tests, though not as worthy as Yuta himself and going to a different place to get groceries for the celebration. It's a lot of effort from Yuta to Saki, and she just wants to pay back to him in favour, nothing more, nothing less.

For Saki to join her fellow stepsibling at the same bookstore coming for an interview, things are about to go complex...
Aug 10, 5:52 AM
Mar 2024
Ilhan391 said:
I think this anime should get 8.1+/10 rating. The production of this show is amazing. I don't get why it only got 7.33?? like wth

it's now 7.32
I don't know how ?
but in Japan, it's going too well till now
Aug 10, 7:21 AM

Jul 2014
idk not really feelin saki anymore... i'm more team yuuta x senpai
Aug 10, 7:54 AM
Apr 2023
Thank god, It is finally getting quite nice with these last two episodes. I was about to drop It on the first 3, they were awful. Hope It keeps getting better 7/10 for me rn
Aug 10, 9:28 AM

May 2023
Maaya finally got a lot of screentime this time, but I still can't really like her character.

Yuuta in this episode is very cute he is very worried about Saki, Saki also said that she wants Yuuta to depend on her like he depends on his senpai and Saki said that this is the stubborn desire of a younger sister, and at the end Saki became an employee at Yuuta's workplace? This will be very interesting, I'm really waiting for the next episode.
Aug 10, 3:24 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Every episode, there's at least one standout scene, love the vibes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 29

81 by N_Hawke »»
42 minutes ago

» Tape(s)

Rayane-47 - Yesterday

12 by RudeRedis »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 22

68 by LuisSV23 »»
Yesterday, 10:36 AM

» Do you binge watch everything?

habib_kun - Aug 12

31 by Zimmu »»
Yesterday, 5:26 AM

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 25

89 by Thicc_Ink »»
Yesterday, 1:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.